Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Treasure Card Banning in PvP

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 16, 2010
4
I think many of you higher level people have experienced this before: Your in a PvP match with someone who is low level, you think that you can take them out in one hit so you start to buff up. Next thing you know your opponent starts to buff up as well and in a few rounds, your low level opponent (lets say level 12) uses a treasure card on you of a rank 8, 9, 10 whatever spell and kills you. This always frustrates me and I, as well as many of my friends, agree that treasure cards have started to ruin PvP over the last few months, I don't know if allot of you would agree with me, but I think you shouldn't be aloud to use Treasure Cards in PvP. It's personally the only reason I don't play PvP. I understand some people are "over competitive", but really, I think it's unfair and ruins the experience for me. From, Lucas DarkHammer Level 88

Survivor
Jul 24, 2012
9
I like to PVP, but when I went into a match with some friends the people against us used high level treasure cards and crushed us. They then bragged about it and said girls can't PVP. They also said they were going to post something on facebook about beating us. Anything you can do about people using high level TC in PVP?

- Brooke Emeraldshard
Level 40,

Survivor
Sep 01, 2013
3
Then they should fix the level match ups as well such as limiting it to + or - a certain number of levels like 10 or 5. Seriously, a character of significantly should be expected to lose against a much higher level character. If they address some of these issues could see a nice bump up in the number of people that participate in PVP making the game a lot more enjoyable.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
449
Lucas Darkhammer on Jan 3, 2014 wrote:
I think many of you higher level people have experienced this before: Your in a PvP match with someone who is low level, you think that you can take them out in one hit so you start to buff up. Next thing you know your opponent starts to buff up as well and in a few rounds, your low level opponent (lets say level 12) uses a treasure card on you of a rank 8, 9, 10 whatever spell and kills you. This always frustrates me and I, as well as many of my friends, agree that treasure cards have started to ruin PvP over the last few months, I don't know if allot of you would agree with me, but I think you shouldn't be aloud to use Treasure Cards in PvP. It's personally the only reason I don't play PvP. I understand some people are "over competitive", but really, I think it's unfair and ruins the experience for me. From, Lucas DarkHammer Level 88
So basically, you're saying that a level 50 warlord battling a level 90 should not be allowed to use rank 9 spell tc? The level 90 can use those spells and higher. They have the advantages of critical, health, damage, and spells. I have said it before, and will say it again: It would be incredibly unfair for low level warlords to not be able to use treasure cards. And, if you're getting beaten by level 12 players, you might need to revise your pvp strategy. A level 88 should never be losing to a level 12, no matter how good they are.

Survivor
Dec 16, 2008
7
TheBananaSlug on Dec 18, 2013 wrote:
So there is currently a huge argument between two types of pvp wizards: the ones who don't like the idea of treasure cards in pvp and the ones that like them. While I myself am not too fond of treasure cards in pvp, I have come up with an idea that would make both sides happy. Kingsisle should put seperate divisions in ranked, so one could choose whether they want to be in a match that allows treasure cards or in one that bans treasure cards. More arena tickets and rating would be at stake in treasure card matches. Thoughts, issues, complaints? I would really like to see this implemented in the game.
to me, this idea is good and bad. mostly because why would you make treasure cards and ban them for a type of pvp. I'm not fond with people who use treasure cards a lot either but, its not enough to be so drastic and do that, I suggest you level up, and get better armor. maybe you can get the REAL spells they're using.

balance wizard level 45

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
195
Lucas Darkhammer on Jan 3, 2014 wrote:
I think many of you higher level people have experienced this before: Your in a PvP match with someone who is low level, you think that you can take them out in one hit so you start to buff up. Next thing you know your opponent starts to buff up as well and in a few rounds, your low level opponent (lets say level 12) uses a treasure card on you of a rank 8, 9, 10 whatever spell and kills you. This always frustrates me and I, as well as many of my friends, agree that treasure cards have started to ruin PvP over the last few months, I don't know if allot of you would agree with me, but I think you shouldn't be aloud to use Treasure Cards in PvP. It's personally the only reason I don't play PvP. I understand some people are "over competitive", but really, I think it's unfair and ruins the experience for me. From, Lucas DarkHammer Level 88
Welp, I've commented on things like this before and I'll say here what I've said before. Despite belief to the contrary, TC are a legitimate strategy and they're the ones who have to use up hard-earned resources to continually use TC. Now from what I understand, it's somewhat rare for low levels to actually get power pips so the best they'd normally be able to do would be rank 7. Granted that'd still be annoying I'll give you that one. But they have to wait a bit of time for the spell to be usable so you'd have a good amount of time to pummel them instead of going for a one hit knock out. And if all this still doesn't convince you. They do now have a pvp mode for you to go in without any TC or pet buffs..(note: I don't know if it's tournament only or not)

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
318
Lucas Darkhammer on Jan 3, 2014 wrote:
I think many of you higher level people have experienced this before: Your in a PvP match with someone who is low level, you think that you can take them out in one hit so you start to buff up. Next thing you know your opponent starts to buff up as well and in a few rounds, your low level opponent (lets say level 12) uses a treasure card on you of a rank 8, 9, 10 whatever spell and kills you. This always frustrates me and I, as well as many of my friends, agree that treasure cards have started to ruin PvP over the last few months, I don't know if allot of you would agree with me, but I think you shouldn't be aloud to use Treasure Cards in PvP. It's personally the only reason I don't play PvP. I understand some people are "over competitive", but really, I think it's unfair and ruins the experience for me. From, Lucas DarkHammer Level 88
So how is the low lvl supposed to win without tc? Is the low lvl supposed to lose every time they vs a higher lvl wizard? Tc doesn't give the low lvl an "automatic win", it only gives them a bigger chance at winning since they can bring your large health to zero. If you don't like it when your opponent uses tc then use them yourself and stop the complaining.

Survivor
May 15, 2011
1
But if you think about it, being such a high level against a low level is an unfair advantage too, to TC may make the playing field a bit more even. I just say that Kingsisle goes and fixes the PvP match making system. I love 2v2 with my brother and we have seen so many puppets. The worse one we saw was a level 1 with a level 84 death Its sad to say that people would do this for high ranks. I want a PvP system that only lets you tag team with people with in a 5-7 level radius.

Survivor
Jul 19, 2009
26
Aaron SpellThief on Jan 4, 2014 wrote:
So basically, you're saying that a level 50 warlord battling a level 90 should not be allowed to use rank 9 spell tc? The level 90 can use those spells and higher. They have the advantages of critical, health, damage, and spells. I have said it before, and will say it again: It would be incredibly unfair for low level warlords to not be able to use treasure cards. And, if you're getting beaten by level 12 players, you might need to revise your pvp strategy. A level 88 should never be losing to a level 12, no matter how good they are.
I think he was giving an example. I don't think its possible for a Level 12 to beat a Level 88 who is trying even if they had a Sun Serpent or another Rank 10 with them. Unless they had those annoying treasure card wild bolts.

The reason I believe in no treasure cards is lets just say my opponent is around the same level, I usually battle people slightly above my level), I use normal cards and the other guy is a treasure card user. Lets say we are Legendary, so we have access to Rank 8. So then they buff up and use those Rank 10 treasure cards and take me down.

Is that fair


Luke Spritehammer- Currently a Level 64 Legendary in Zafaria

Survivor
May 22, 2009
48
I totally agree with you. I'm a private and get pared with veterans who only win because they use super high level tcs to beat their opponent. I was a knight in the first age, and did pvp in the old days way before celestia. It used to be fun, but now people just buy the most expensive tcs they can find and don't even use their own cards. Pvp isn't as fun as it was before.

As for mean people, don't let them get you down girl!

-Maria Fireshard

Survivor
May 22, 2009
48
In the first age I became a knight with my lvl 15 fire wizard, without the using of extremely high level treasure cards (these are the days way before celestia). It's not easy to win but I find it more satisfying. These days I get pared up with lvl 5's and end up get hit by a 2500 damage efreet. I know many people love to use tc but it drives me insane! I want to see how good my strategy is, not how much gold can buy a good tc! I know people say "if you are doing pvp you should be ready for anything" and "this is how pvp works get over it", but I'm seriously considering quiting pvp because the use of treasure cards, not pure strategy is having win. I've had my fair share of loses anyway, but it's not fun anymore. I know times have changed, but I'm not happy.
I can beat people without the use of treasure cards.

Your thoughts everyone?

-Maria Fireshard

Mastermind
Dec 17, 2010
357
The point of Treasure Cards is for "lower levels" to be able to cast high level spells. Why do you think they cost so much?

-Nick
"If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please', I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'"

Survivor
Jul 19, 2009
26
Not only did they just unfairly win by using only treasure cards but those people are technically making threats to post you online. That is cyber bullying and an infringement of privacy... Anyway, I think treasure cards should be banned from PvP because you should only use cards you worked for in my opinion.

Luke Spritehammer- Level 66 Legendary in Zafaria

Survivor
Jul 19, 2009
26
Its not just low levels. When I get paired up with people who are a slightly higher level than me, and they use higher level treasure cards which happens pretty much all the time while I don't that is unfair. PvP should be a measure of how you can put together the cards you have worked for in the best way possible, not making a huge deck of cards not ready for you yet out of wasted gold.
Luke Spritehammer- Level 66 Legendary in Zafaria

Survivor
Oct 04, 2009
30
I agree with that, I think it is very unfair that low level wizards use treasure cards to beat higher level wizards. I feel the same way about pet talents. Wizards should use only what they have as spells. With pet talents they can heal and shield and do about anything to protect the wizard. Treasure cards can do more damage than the wizards real spells can do. The treasure cards can heal them extremely and do unfair things. If I could, I would make treasure cards not allowed in PvP. I feel this way because I never use treasure cards because I want to make the battle fair. I would also make pets no allowed in PvP.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
449
ineedacuppatea on Jan 6, 2014 wrote:
In the first age I became a knight with my lvl 15 fire wizard, without the using of extremely high level treasure cards (these are the days way before celestia). It's not easy to win but I find it more satisfying. These days I get pared up with lvl 5's and end up get hit by a 2500 damage efreet. I know many people love to use tc but it drives me insane! I want to see how good my strategy is, not how much gold can buy a good tc! I know people say "if you are doing pvp you should be ready for anything" and "this is how pvp works get over it", but I'm seriously considering quiting pvp because the use of treasure cards, not pure strategy is having win. I've had my fair share of loses anyway, but it's not fun anymore. I know times have changed, but I'm not happy.
I can beat people without the use of treasure cards.

Your thoughts everyone?

-Maria Fireshard
So..you're saying that my level 50 balance should have to beat level 95s without the use of treasure cards? Seems a bit unfair, since they can use all of the spells I can get as treasure cards anyway. You are able to use treasure cards, as well. Just because you don't like them does not mean that they are not a legitimite strategy.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
449
Luke Spritehammer on Jan 6, 2014 wrote:
I think he was giving an example. I don't think its possible for a Level 12 to beat a Level 88 who is trying even if they had a Sun Serpent or another Rank 10 with them. Unless they had those annoying treasure card wild bolts.

The reason I believe in no treasure cards is lets just say my opponent is around the same level, I usually battle people slightly above my level), I use normal cards and the other guy is a treasure card user. Lets say we are Legendary, so we have access to Rank 8. So then they buff up and use those Rank 10 treasure cards and take me down.

Is that fair


Luke Spritehammer- Currently a Level 64 Legendary in Zafaria
Since you have access to treasure cards, as well, yes, it is fair. Just because you choose not to use something does not mean that it should be taken away from everyone. Also, at level 68, which is still legendary, you have access to rank 9 spells.

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
195
Ok... I get the argument about same level wizards using TC being unfair. However, once again I reiterate the argument that while the other side uses TC, you have the exact same option to do so as well. Not using TC isn't going to make the battle fair especially when there's a significant level gap. As for pet talents, they trained up their pet they deserve to use their talents. I've responded this way to every single TC complaint on here. And it usually involves complaints about low levels using TC, it being unfair, yadda yadda yadda. Think about it from their shoes. If they want to PVP low level, they need to have some chance of winning and TC gives them that chance. Without it, they'd lose almost instantly each time as they wouldn't be able to stand up to higher leveled wizards, who might being using TC as well. TC is not an instant win guarantee, it's just changing the odds. Lastly, while you may be attempting to play fair, by your standards, many wizards are not even though it's the only chance they may have to actually win.

Explorer
Jun 12, 2011
79
ineedacuppatea on Jan 6, 2014 wrote:
In the first age I became a knight with my lvl 15 fire wizard, without the using of extremely high level treasure cards (these are the days way before celestia). It's not easy to win but I find it more satisfying. These days I get pared up with lvl 5's and end up get hit by a 2500 damage efreet. I know many people love to use tc but it drives me insane! I want to see how good my strategy is, not how much gold can buy a good tc! I know people say "if you are doing pvp you should be ready for anything" and "this is how pvp works get over it", but I'm seriously considering quiting pvp because the use of treasure cards, not pure strategy is having win. I've had my fair share of loses anyway, but it's not fun anymore. I know times have changed, but I'm not happy.
I can beat people without the use of treasure cards.

Your thoughts everyone?

-Maria Fireshard
As a first-age sergeant, who has won with and without the use of tc, I respectfully disagree.

I was once of the same mindset as you, but I learned early on that playing fair would get me nowhere, as long as I was up against people with elite gear, uber pets, and mastery amulets. So I started using tc, to even the playing field.

My theory is, if a low-level wizard can survive long enough to get the pips required for a 2500-point efreet, then all the power to her. Those kinds of survival skills are strategic in themselves.

What's not strategy: overpowered crowns items and spending real money on pvp. IE buying rank.

/my 2 cents.

-von
1st age pvp sergeant

Delver
Jun 17, 2011
214
Think of this way
A low level wizard has to fight you and you have rank 7,8,9,10 spells while they just have 1,2,3. How would they win?
Then- You are fighting a low level wizard and they have rank 7,8,9,10 treasure cards. So what's the difference? Answer-the fight is equal. I do not consider it unfair-i consider it fair.

Grace DreamRider 77

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4113
Everyone has the same access to TC so yes it's 100% fair for any level to use them. Lower levels don't have access to the same gear as you, shouldn't you take it off to be "fair"? Gear and natural spells are a huge advantage that higher levels have in pvp. Also, it's really getting old all these claims of people using TC spells that don't exist. Rank 10 spells don't have TC's so stop using Storm Owl and Fire Serpent as examples in your arguments.

Survivor
Aug 31, 2011
28
I actually agree, the winner of a player vs player match is for the better wizard to win, the wizard with more skill, not the wizard that is best at buying treasure cards.

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
318
Brooke Emeraldshar... on Jan 4, 2014 wrote:
I like to PVP, but when I went into a match with some friends the people against us used high level treasure cards and crushed us. They then bragged about it and said girls can't PVP. They also said they were going to post something on facebook about beating us. Anything you can do about people using high level TC in PVP?

- Brooke Emeraldshard
Level 40,
Don't listen to nonsense that people try to tell you. Just ignore them or report them. As for your issue with tc, you can simply use tc yourself lol.

Survivor
Mar 15, 2012
4
I totally agree, i was on my lvl 5 wizard actually and i was going against a lvl 5 too, and he uses infallible and then uses meteor strike on me.

~Courtney Deaththeif

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
318
AutumnJ23 on Jan 9, 2014 wrote:
I actually agree, the winner of a player vs player match is for the better wizard to win, the wizard with more skill, not the wizard that is best at buying treasure cards.
Skill is HOW you use your tc. If two warlords the same lvl were using tc who's gonna win? The person more skilled with their spells and tc is going to win the match (or if they go first). Anyway your definition of "skill" isn't right. It's your choice whether or not you use tc or not but skill is the way you use your tc.