Welcome to the August 2016 Update Notes Page. What are Update Notes you ask? Every time we update Wizard101, we like to let our players know what changes have been made and what new additions have been given to the game. Update Notes explain those changes and updates.
This update includes a new Level 50 Boost Elixir, streamlined quests in Celestia and Zafaria, Tournaments for Gold, new Astral Magic spells, awesome interface changes, new Make-a-Wish Boss fight and quest, fishing quests and spells in MooShu, and a ton of other welcome changes!
New Level 50 Elixir
There’s a brand new elixir in the Crown Shop for players who already have a level 50+ Wizard on their account. The Level 50 Elixir allows you to head straight to Celestia and start your adventures in the second story arc of Wizard101! :
- Instantly be granted level 50 on one character.
- All main quests up to and including Dragonspyre will be completed.
- All trained spells of the Wizard’s school through level 50 will be added to their spell book. (Note: You’ll still want to add spells from your spell book to your deck before charging into combat!)
- A new set of level-appropriate gear, a mount and a pet will be awarded to the character.
- Additional training points will be added to the character
- The access pass for the Survey Camp, Celesta Base Camp, and the Grotto is awarded to your account if you did not already own it.
- A new quest will be added to your quest log: Visit Merle Ambrose to begin your new adventures!
How do I qualify?
- You must already have a Level 50+ Wizard on your account
- The Level 50 Elixir can only be applied to a Wizard character under Level 50
NOTE: Purchasing a Level 50 Elixir from the Crown Shop cannot be undone, and you will not be able to change your decision or refund this action. All sales of this elixir are final.
Streamlined Quests in Mid-Levels
Excited to buy a new level 50 elixir, but not so much the difficult quests in Celestia and Zafaria? Fear not! We’ve rebalanced the defeat and collect quests in both zones and made things a lot less “grindy” for you. The Greyhorn Mercenaries and Fire Lion Ravagers are already thanking us behind the scenes.
Tournaments for Gold and PvP Changes!
The fee for entering PvP tournaments has been changed from Crowns to Gold for members! We saw how much everyone loved our free tournament member benefit and knew we had to find a way to extend this opportunity permanently for our members. Enjoy!
If you like to enter tournaments for rewards, also know that we’ve added a Second Chance “roll again” button where you can pay an incrementing amount of Crowns for more attempts at loot after your tournament. There’s also a new lower tier of cosmetic (Defender, Guardian, Protector, and Challenger) tournament armor for stitching.
We heard your requests for change, and now critical hits will be less painful in PvP. Where a Critical hit still does double damage in PvE, it will now only do 1.25 times more damage in PvP. For example, a critical hit from a 100 damage spell will now do 125 damage in PvP and 200 damage in PvE.
If you’ve been intimidated by onlookers in PvP before, there’s now an option to block both text chat and menu chat from other players who are watching your matches.
The Talos spell card from the Crabling pet is now flagged No PVP, and the Battle Cherub’s Guardian Spirit spell card is now flagged No PvP.
New Astral Magic
Librarian Fitzhume in the Arcanum has a new quest for high level players who would like to train in Astral Magic. Fitzhume will escort you quickly over to Qyburn Stellargaze who will introduce himself and offer you a plethora of new spells. Get ready to make your damage spells much more “Epic”!
Advanced Friends List and Interface Improvements
Are you ready for some new interface changes? We’ve been listening to your feedback, and have some great changes for you:
First, we’ve made a lot of changes to the Friend’s List so it’s now larger, easier to use, and contains more information. To access your new friend list features, click the “More Friends” button from within the friends list. Click “Less Friends” to return to your basic friends list.
Here are a few highlights of your new interface:
- Shows your friends’ full names instead of abbreviations.
- Displays the full body of your selected friends.
- Displays the school and level of all friends.
- Has new sorting options.
- Has more information on why you can or can’t click on buttons.
- Displays friendship date (the day the players became friends)
- Displays how long it’s been since your friend was online last: Recent (within 7 days), Active (3 months), and Dormant (longer than 3 months).
- Displays a count of how many friends you have and how many more you can have.
There’s also a new option to alert you when your friends come online (as long as they’re not hidden to friends). You can turn this on or off in your options interface.
Second, it’s been an often requested feature that players be able to see a list of all the charms, wards, and other effects that are applied to their characters during combat. We’re happy to now provide you with this feature! Roll your mouse over your character label while in combat and you’ll see a complete list.
Third, you’ll now notice a new option to the side of your chat window which will allow you to darken the transparency of your chat window background to provide more contrast so you can see text more easily in areas where white text is difficult to read. And there’s also a brand new option to make chat much larger in the chat window! See your options interface to try out this new feature.
Finally, we’ve made some polish changes that should ease some minor irritations:
- The Quick Sell button now turns into a Quick Trash button when you’re at the Gold Cap.
- When at the character select screen, your character will now show which home they last left from instead of “home.”
- The display no longer becomes unclickable when you successfully craft an item.
- Removed the very faint lines that showed up on the upper right and lower right of the player’s spell book.
- Removed the extra text space at the bottom of the gardening needs information box.
- Gardening treasure cards now show a quantity next to them when viewing them from your Gardening interface.
- Made several other minor cosmetic changes to the User Interface.
- Add new symbols to your friends on your friends list. NOTE: Friends without a symbol on your new friends list will be placed at the bottom of the list.
- Pressing “f” will close the character window when it’s open from the friends list.
A “Glorious” Call to Fishing!
We have two new experience increasing updates for Fishing! First, Ryoshi in the Jade Palace of MooShu has two brand new fishing quests for you!
Note: You must have completed the quest “New Fishing Buddy” from Grizzleheim to begin Ryoshi’s quests. Ryoshi also has a couple of new winnow fishing spells that will make isolating those prized catches a bit easier.
Second, new Doodlefish have arrived in your favorite magic-school-themed houses of Wizard101. Take a housing tour and add them all to your collection. Can you catch all these new exclusive and elusive fish?
We also made a few smaller changes and fixes to fishing:
- Fish will no longer swim far beyond areas you are able to reach in the Serpentine Escape.
- Fish in the Amber Estate will no longer swim onto objects near the house’s lake.
- The Epic Boss Hog fish are now more difficult to catch in Zafaria.
- The Cold Cod isn’t marked as a holiday fish – only a winter fish.
Brandon has arrived in Polaris!
KingsIsle recently played host to another amazing wizard thanks to our friends at the Make-a-Wish foundation. We’re happy to introduce high level players to Brandon!
Brandon has a brand new quest, “Trial by Dragon’s Fire,” for those Wizards who have completed the quest “Into the Bleaks.” Brandon will also be able to help you on your journey through a minion spell, and you’ll even be getting a free treasure card with the Brandon spell right when you first accept the quest. If you like to hunt for cool gear, don’t miss the new Dragonborn Helms you have a chance to get from repeating this awesome boss fight!
Thanks for visiting with us, Brandon, and thanks for playing Wizard101! You helped us design a really cool fight that everyone is going to love . . . but watch out! This boss fight was designed by a pro player and is tuned to accommodate a full party of four players.
Daily Assignment Adjustments
- Daily quest rewards now show in the chat window when they are received, and Daily Assignment quest text now appears in the chat window after talking to Aegon Statz or checking the Gravulum Lodestone.
- Gravulum Lodestones are now available for purchase from Albert QuickHammer.
- Midnighters won’t appear as a target for Daily Quests in the future.
- Checking a Daily Assignment very early in the morning will no longer show a million plus hours to complete it.
Sounds around the Spiral
The Sound Team has been hard at work making a lot of great changes and continues to make Wizard101 sound better every day! Here’s a few of the notable changes:
- Mount sound effects and mount movements are now more in sync.
- Sohomer Sublade has had a vocal cord adjustment.
- The Moon Flower Plant has a new sound associated with it.
- High level players will notice Bartleby moans a little less frequently.
- The Royal Playhouse no longer plays the Wizard City Commons Music when you enter it the first time.
- Have you visited the school towers in Ravenwood lately? Now’s a good time to hold a new party there as the sound inside has had a polish pass.
- Fixed minor voice over and text mismatches.
Equipment and weapons for the following Bundles and CCG packs have a new tier, bringing their available gear levels to 110:
- Keeper’s Lore Pack
- Spiral Cup Gauntlet Bundle
- Mystic Fishing Bundle
- Polarian Explorer Bundle
Other equipment-related changes are as follows:
- The boots that were named "Robes of the Frozen Desert" have been correctly renamed to "Boots of the Frozen Desert"
- There’s now both a Warpwood Wand and a Warpwood Staff.
- While the Pet Snacks Frojan Mousse and Manticoreos are no longer auctionable, several other pet snacks are now auctionable.
- Added alphabetization to the Gear Vault.
- Dark Shepherd, Nova and Fiend have all been revamped with reduced rounds, more power, and less backlash damage. Also, the card art has been adjusted to show Likes vs. Dislikes. Check them out and let us know what you think!
- Lord of Winter will now cause damage first before removing pips.
- Spell cards for Shadow Creatures now have an icon and description to show what spells the creature likes.
- The Myth Leprechaun spell now does 90 Myth damage and lowers threat correctly without removing global spells.
- Added the Storm School Icon to the Supercharge spell text.
Other Cool Changes
- There are now three new badges for hatching pets! Can you earn your Hatching Master badge for hatching 100 pets? Game on!
- We’ve created new rules for the Team Up Button so we can limit low level people joining high level encounters.
- There’s a new “Seasonal” category in the Housing Tours.
- Added a housing sign for the Darkmoor Manor
- Entering the Cabinet of Wonders no longer requires you to purchase the Cyclops Lane Access Pass.
- All players who ride together on the Balloons in Marleybone can now skip the journey (instead of just one)
- Reduced the number of enemies players will face when fighting Kenedy the Klaw during the “Mything Persons” quest.
- Players will no longer turn to face wood piles when gathering them during the Crimson Fields dungeon.
- Grum FoulTooth in Crimson Fields is no longer a solo fight.
- Yevgeny will no longer get caught in an infinite loop from interactions between weakness and beguile.
- The Entrance Hall Teleport Icon in Krokotopia will no longer look like the icon for the Darkmoor.
- If you win a pet snack or jewel from second chance chests, the correct icon now displays instead of a white box.
- Belosto ToeBiter now shows his title in the dialog box instead of “Water Bug.”
- More cinematic camera angles have been added to the quests of Celestia.
- Adjusted Heck Hound enemies to have a bit smoother animations.
- Fixed the Quest Helper directions for the quest “Forward... Into History!”
- Fixed a few Dungeon Recall errors where it is still available even after defeating the boss or completing the quest.
- Cleaned up several Dragonspyre sigil issues like being able to enter interiors you shouldn’t have access to, sigils not relighting correctly if they were repeatable, incorrect text near sigil entrances,
- Made minor adjustments to a few teleport stones, reagent spawns, and NPC locations in Mooshu.
- Adjusted the location of the reagent spawn and teleporter portals near Hrafn Lorespeaker slightly.
- Fixed some grammar errors in the Bread Crumb Help window.
- You can now obtain badges for completing the Skeleton Key Boss fights.
- The quest “Inevitable Betrayal” now works in multiplayer.
- Crafting recipes for the Hephaestus, Queen Calypso and Athena lore spells have been added to the Avalon Spell Vendor.
- The correct crafting recipe vendor icon appears on the map for Todo Warchanter in Dragonspyre.
- The Polymorph into Young Morganthe during the fights found in the Chambers of the Mind in Khrysalis have been given an increase in health and power to make the encounter less difficult.