Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Excessive Beggars are everywhere!

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Was in a new world yesterday and someone level 41 sent me a friend invitation out of the blue.

I saw they were level 41 and thought maybe they were there to help newer players so I accepted.

Then I read "LOL can I get a pack."

??

I put them on ignore which also unfriended them at the same time.

I never even got to see them. That's the only thing they said to me.

But all I had to do was put them on ignore and keep going so it didn't bother me that much. I'm happy the game has the ignore option.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Has anyone had this happen?

I was in the common and accepted some friend requests. Out of the blue I noticed I had a gift. I thought it must be something I had bought earlier so I didn't pay it much attention. When I left the commons I looked at it and it said "gift from (name)" so I thanked them.

It was a pack. The next time I was on, the person wanted me to come to their house and practice a dungeon with them or something? I didn't have time so I said I couldn't. They said if I did they'd send me a gift.

I politely declined, but it made me slightly uncomfortable so I unfriended them the next day.
I hadn't asked for or expected any gifts and didn't really even want a gift from a stranger (I can get my own) but has anyone been gifted out of the blue? Or had people try to 'hire' them in the game? I'll help people for free if I have time to.

Defender
Dec 07, 2012
I know what you mean. I've seen beggars in Wiz and Pirate. And I'm telling you they are ANNOYING. One time I was going to go do some PvP then some dude comes out and asks me to get a mount for him. I'm about to say no, then about five other dudes pop out of nowhere and start asking the same thing. Beggars, I want you to realize, out of the 500 people you ask, probably 0 are going to give you a pack or whatever your asking for.

--Fiona

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Fiona FairySong on Oct 18, 2016 wrote:
I know what you mean. I've seen beggars in Wiz and Pirate. And I'm telling you they are ANNOYING. One time I was going to go do some PvP then some dude comes out and asks me to get a mount for him. I'm about to say no, then about five other dudes pop out of nowhere and start asking the same thing. Beggars, I want you to realize, out of the 500 people you ask, probably 0 are going to give you a pack or whatever your asking for.

--Fiona
A mount?! Seriously that takes some gall.

Even a temporary mount is like 1000 crowns, right?

A pack is 299 crowns. What is that, about a dollar U.S.?

Why do they think strangers should give them money? Why didn't their parents tell them not to ask strangers for money?

I have gifted a pack once or twice to someone who did not ask for one but who either was earnest and upbeat and I want a player like that to think the game is a nice place to be; or someone who helped with a quest and didn't act like they were lowering themselves to do so.

So on a rare occasion I might gift one but demanding something makes it not a gift. It's too bad the beggars can't see that.

Survivor
Jun 24, 2016
SparkleTude on Oct 19, 2016 wrote:

Why do they think strangers should give them money? Why didn't their parents tell them not to ask strangers for money?

I have gifted a pack once or twice to someone who did not ask for one but who either was earnest and upbeat and I want a player like that to think the game is a nice place to be; or someone who helped with a quest and didn't act like they were lowering themselves to do so.

So on a rare occasion I might gift one but demanding something makes it not a gift. It's too bad the beggars can't see that.
I agree

Survivor
Sep 28, 2015
I hate how low level wizards look at max wizards and assume that they are rich in gold and crowns. Just go to the crown shop, click on the lioness mount, then click gold. 90,000 may seem a lot of gold but just farm The Kraken or something. Keep selling useless treasure cards and reagents until you get that much money. Besides, level 1 wizards can have up to 350,000 gold. Just don't be lazy to work for gold to buy something.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Not long ago someone insisted I buy them a tiger mount. A permanent tiger mount. Out of the clear blue sky. Friend invite? OK, accepted. (Maybe they need battle help.) Next moment: "Buy me a tiger mount."

Once the shock wore off a bit I looked at the crown shop - 15,000 crowns.

I try to figure out what goes on in the head of someone who would ask that. "Here I am. I'm standing here. Isn't that special? Pay me!"

Lol

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Wow, I can't believe this post is still active after all these years - and the begging hasn't stopped? If everyone just ignored every beggar the first time you're approached maybe this would die out ( then again, 'hope springs eternal....' )

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
SparkleTude on Sep 16, 2016 wrote:
Has anyone had this happen?

I was in the common and accepted some friend requests. Out of the blue I noticed I had a gift. I thought it must be something I had bought earlier so I didn't pay it much attention. When I left the commons I looked at it and it said "gift from (name)" so I thanked them.

It was a pack. The next time I was on, the person wanted me to come to their house and practice a dungeon with them or something? I didn't have time so I said I couldn't. They said if I did they'd send me a gift.

I politely declined, but it made me slightly uncomfortable so I unfriended them the next day.
I hadn't asked for or expected any gifts and didn't really even want a gift from a stranger (I can get my own) but has anyone been gifted out of the blue? Or had people try to 'hire' them in the game? I'll help people for free if I have time to.
That happened to me a couple of times last year. I accepted a friends request after a battle. That person gifted me a pack the next time I signed in and I thanked him. I was nice enough to gift him a pack back for the Holidays. Big mistake! Since then that guy wouldn't leave me alone asking for a gift. Even his friend was bugging me for one after I said no twice to both of them. I end up removing them from my list. Lesson well learned; never gift a beggar otherwise you'll be someones money tree.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
SparkleTude on Oct 19, 2016 wrote:

I agree, I had a situation with someone asked me to gift them mounts, packs and gear but not all at one time. After I said no a few times, I told her; "look, money doesn't grow on trees. If you want something, you buy it with your own crowns. Please don't ask me again".

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Beggars, just like a failed Critical/Block System will always be a part of the game.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
anecorbie on Dec 14, 2016 wrote:
Wow, I can't believe this post is still active after all these years - and the begging hasn't stopped? If everyone just ignored every beggar the first time you're approached maybe this would die out ( then again, 'hope springs eternal....' )
Easier said than done :(, the new people come and do it.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Patrick: Good advice and well handled I think.

It's sad someone abused your gracious gesture that way.

I have been wondering if I should gift my friend list a pack on Christmas Day or not. I can't decide yet. Maybe just the closer battle buddies.

Gifting feels good (until they turn it into demands for more), begging never does.

Begging for food or clothing in real life is different of course, but begging for toys in a video game - that person needs a time out or something Lol.

I can't imagine having the gall to expect a stranger to gift me for existing. I think they should at least tell a joke or do a dance or something.

Survivor
May 17, 2012
All you have to do is click on that person and click on "ignore" and you won't be bothered anymore by that person.

Delver
Mar 10, 2015
I don't know if this is harsh but add a report but begging button. People need to understand when you answer no is no.

Survivor
Mar 16, 2012
Oh, this drives me nuts! It's especial bad if you have any kind crown shop gear. People see it and seem to automatically think your loaded!

What irks me is these kids, (or immoral teens/adults,) seem to act like you, a perfect stranger, owe them something. It's like they think their very existence has earned them the right to demand to be bought stuff for free...

I've had so many people friend me just to ask me to buy them something... I've had requests ranging from packs to mounts to even houses! Yes, someone asked me once to buy them a house... With crowns... Which they could have easily bought themselves with gold...

It'd be nice if we had some kind of custom ignore list where we could name it and reserve it for all the beggars and people who wanted to be carried through the game; though, I suppose depending on certain things, your regular ignore list should suffice.

I don't ignore them usually, and if they start following me around and bugging me, I just go to a place they can't get too. (most beggars are low levels who want to be handed things.) Or, sign out for a bit. As long s you don't friend them, your good.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
I'm adding my story to this thread.
It happened this morning - the place - The Commons. A journeyman Diviner asked if I could help him. "Sure", I said, "What help do you need?" ( I'm max level BTW. )
"Can you do Winterbane with me." was the reply. I wasn't sure what this was, so I asked if it was a gauntlet.
"No".
I friended him and sure enough it was a housing gauntlet ( it was in a friend's house on a castle tour ). Still, I was willing to help him.
We entered and he asked me to go first.
Then he complained "Can't you use something more powerful?"
I was patient,
"I have to wait for pips."
And then this - "Can you gift me packs?"
THIS is the fastest way to lose my friendship, and I ported out of there then unfriended him.
He still followed me and was going to ask why, when I interrupted him, "no one likes to be used."
Maybe he'll think twice before asking for packs.

Explorer
Jan 03, 2014
This only happens because someone eventually says yes and gifts the item sought after. If no one ever give the gifts, there wouldn't be any beggars. Also note that these beggars are new wizards belonging to your high level friends. Ever wonder where he or she got that new mount when he always claims he has no crowns?

The only way this will end is to block the asking; we don't want that so what does that leave? Add the asker to your ignored list? Tomorrow the same player will be on a new wizard asking the same thing.

In my opinion, Kingsisle ought to suspend gifting and announce that they are suspending it because of the excessive begging going on. But they won't.

Why?

Because gifting means crowns are being spent which means crowns are being bought which means wallets are getting fat. For this reason alone they will not do anything about the excessive begging in this game. Not until it digs into their wallets!

If you want it stopped, then stop buying crowns. Tell Kingsisle you will not buy crowns until they address this issue. This only works if everyone does it together; good luck with that. Half your friends are the beggars you hate.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I personally do not think any of the people I quest with are beggars. I pretty much know who they are in real life and they earn their own money. They budget their crowns. They buy their own gear.

That is just my experience.

I usually accept a friend invitation but I delete and put them on ignore if they are rude or ask for gifts. How would that go over in real life? "Hi, buy me a new watch." "Hi, come over and help me clean my house."

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
ghowriter on Mar 2, 2017 wrote:
This only happens because someone eventually says yes and gifts the item sought after. If no one ever give the gifts, there wouldn't be any beggars. Also note that these beggars are new wizards belonging to your high level friends. Ever wonder where he or she got that new mount when he always claims he has no crowns?

The only way this will end is to block the asking; we don't want that so what does that leave? Add the asker to your ignored list? Tomorrow the same player will be on a new wizard asking the same thing.

In my opinion, Kingsisle ought to suspend gifting and announce that they are suspending it because of the excessive begging going on. But they won't.

Why?

Because gifting means crowns are being spent which means crowns are being bought which means wallets are getting fat. For this reason alone they will not do anything about the excessive begging in this game. Not until it digs into their wallets!

If you want it stopped, then stop buying crowns. Tell Kingsisle you will not buy crowns until they address this issue. This only works if everyone does it together; good luck with that. Half your friends are the beggars you hate.
This is not the way to stop begging ( if it can be stopped, Hah! ) If I want to gift a friend, then I'll gift them, removing this ability would make many players unhappy ( not just the beggars ).
Honestly, just saying "no" and "ignoring" will leave you in peace, without having KI decide whether those abusing generosity calls for a ban on begging.
"Half your friends are the beggars you hate."
If one of my friends do beg a pack from me and persist in begging, then they're off my list - unless the item they ask for is on sale, inexpensive or they've spent a lot of time with me and have shown that they are a true friend, someone you like to hang out with.
And in that case, they'll usually get a gift without having to ask for it.

Explorer
Jan 03, 2014
anecorbie on Mar 2, 2017 wrote:
This is not the way to stop begging ( if it can be stopped, Hah! ) If I want to gift a friend, then I'll gift them, removing this ability would make many players unhappy ( not just the beggars ).
Honestly, just saying "no" and "ignoring" will leave you in peace, without having KI decide whether those abusing generosity calls for a ban on begging.
"Half your friends are the beggars you hate."
If one of my friends do beg a pack from me and persist in begging, then they're off my list - unless the item they ask for is on sale, inexpensive or they've spent a lot of time with me and have shown that they are a true friend, someone you like to hang out with.
And in that case, they'll usually get a gift without having to ask for it.
You would never know. You conveniently ignored the part about them making new level 1 wizards. Think about it.

Survivor
Feb 04, 2017
I think that the people who want these things feel like they can't get them at all. Maybe if Kingsisle released a giveaway sometimes? Maybe people would stop begging.
You could give a free pack or transformation away, maybe a cheap mount or elixir. If people had a chance to get what they wanted, they might stop asking higher level people to buy them items.
I understand how this can be frustrating. I have had a lot of asking like that and usually it's hard for me to turn people down, but I do it sometimes. Whenever I do, I feel bad about it. If KI gave something away every month or two, that could be a solution.

Alia Cloud, Adept Sorceress

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
ghowriter on Mar 4, 2017 wrote:
You would never know. You conveniently ignored the part about them making new level 1 wizards. Think about it.
I know that was in reply to someone else but since we're all on topic and reading, I feel it's fair if I chime in too.

I know the character of the people I hang out with.

If anyone begins to show some undesirable character traits, then I delete them.

In those cases they were strangers to begin with.

Yes it is entirely possible people can be 'fake' but in the end what difference does that make in an online game. We can only go by what people do in our presence and act accordingly.

Usually people show their 'true colors' pretty quickly. People who are 'users' of others do not care about friendship so they will quickly seek to exploit. Once that happens, usually within the same day of the friend invitation being accepted, or next time I log in and they're on too, then they get deleted and ignored. /shrug

The real problem people are talking about I think are those who annoy an entire area by spamming local chat with "give me stuff."

JMO.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Alia Cloud on Mar 4, 2017 wrote:
I think that the people who want these things feel like they can't get them at all. Maybe if Kingsisle released a giveaway sometimes? Maybe people would stop begging.
You could give a free pack or transformation away, maybe a cheap mount or elixir. If people had a chance to get what they wanted, they might stop asking higher level people to buy them items.
I understand how this can be frustrating. I have had a lot of asking like that and usually it's hard for me to turn people down, but I do it sometimes. Whenever I do, I feel bad about it. If KI gave something away every month or two, that could be a solution.

Alia Cloud, Adept Sorceress
You can win free stuff by playing. They have free gifts during holiday and other type of events. You can also help others during team ups and sell the gear for gold. Then you can use the gold to buy things in the bazaar.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
ghowriter on Mar 4, 2017 wrote:
It wasn't being ignored "conveniently". If a friend of mine did make a level 1 wizard they would tell me, they would know I would have no problems gifting their level 1 ( since they're still the same person I hang out with. )