Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Excessive Beggars are everywhere!

AuthorMessage
Champion
Mar 05, 2012
452
There is a site called 'Mercenaries for Hire' that has been around for years, solely dedicated to helping wizards in 101 without asking for any type of fee or payback.

Survivor
Feb 27, 2015
34
Oh my gosh I HATE beggers!

So, I pay for my own membership and save up my money to buy crowns and bundles. I have a weekend job and I WORK for what I want.

Do these people just think they're entitled to something I worked my hands off for? How can they think begging and/or trying to friend me three thousand times means I have to give them a cut of MY hard earned crowns?

I only gift friends I have outside the game. (School, work, ect.)
NOT random people that spam me in the commons.

Honestly, they're crazy.

~Sarah NightBlossom 95~

Hero
Nov 22, 2015
758
When someone asks me for a mount and I have crowns, I'll give them a pack, which always has a chance of giving them a mount, and I'm willing to spend that amount of money on a stranger. For a friend, I would probably buy them a cheaper mount. If they asked for anything else too, I'd probably buy them a pack or help them obtain it differently, unless it was a friend like I said.

However, if I don't have crowns, I'll help them farm for gold so they can get some of the permanent mounts you can buy with gold in the Crown Shop. I'd also help them farm for some of the permanent dropped pets. Because why not? It never hurts to be nice. Sure, don't give them exactly what they want, but you can give them something. It will mean a lot to them, trust me.

Let's say you don't wanna be occupied helping a stranger or spend gold or crowns on them. Do you know what I do? I'll just set up a card trade and give them some higher level treasure cards that don't mean much to me, or polymorph treasure cards for the lower levels. This only works for people of a lower level than you, but most beggars are lower levels. Like I said, they'll stop bothering you if you try to be nice, if you try to give them something, even if it isn't exactly what they asked for. It's the effort to be kind that helps, not what kind thing you do.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
1305
I will not give anything to beggars. I've had many friend requests - and when I accepted them, the first thing they do is PM me asking for a pack or other expensive crown item. The first thing that happens is: I let them know that I do not accept begging, and they just got removed from my friend list.

If people need help with something, I will help them if I can. I do not expect payment and have never asked. People are sometimes surprised about this, though. The one thing I won't do is have my L110 help a L5 with a battle. I'll bring in a lower level character if I need to.

The begging I see everywhere, expecially if a new item comes out, is getting ridiculous. One solution for those begging for TC, is that the game should be dropping more TC at lower levels. I've seen both gear, TC and reagent drops reduced dramatically, and I think those drops should be upped again, significantly.

Explorer
May 23, 2009
79
SilverbackMonkey on Apr 14, 2016 wrote:
The Kiosk for Team Up was created for a reason - to help out each other for the love of the game. Asking someone to Gift you (which costs real money) is wrong no matter how you try to Spin It.
It depends on how well you know the person. Although bleak, there is a positive side to begging. I actually find it a nice thing to gift others packs in exchange for help. I have a friend who likes to offer help in exchange for gifts (though I think he likes gifting others too and just wants someone who can gift him back.) It's always a nice feeling when we ended up gifting each other after he helps me. Begging is not always wrong.

Historian
Mar 16, 2012
627
BrynnerOfReign on Apr 16, 2016 wrote:
I will not give anything to beggars. I've had many friend requests - and when I accepted them, the first thing they do is PM me asking for a pack or other expensive crown item. The first thing that happens is: I let them know that I do not accept begging, and they just got removed from my friend list.

If people need help with something, I will help them if I can. I do not expect payment and have never asked. People are sometimes surprised about this, though. The one thing I won't do is have my L110 help a L5 with a battle. I'll bring in a lower level character if I need to.

The begging I see everywhere, expecially if a new item comes out, is getting ridiculous. One solution for those begging for TC, is that the game should be dropping more TC at lower levels. I've seen both gear, TC and reagent drops reduced dramatically, and I think those drops should be upped again, significantly.
That could be a solution ( raising drops ) and with the new Daily Assignments rewards, beggars have a chance to earn their own Crowns or have a chance at a Crown Shop item.

Defender
Feb 27, 2009
129
Whenever someone begs to you, I have a line that works perfect to deny giving someone a gift.

Beggar: "I can has (Insert crown items here)?"

You: "Sorry, gifting is turned off for my account."

(If that doesn't work, just continue the conversation;)

Beggar: "Turn it back on."

You: "I can't."

Beggar: "Why?"

You: "Because my Parent/Guardian(s) set up the admin pass o word for my account."

(If this still hasn't made the beggar give up, just stick to the defensive or just flee)

Beggar: "Ask them to turn it on."

You: "My Parent/Guardian(s) said they don't won't me to get scammed so they won't turn it on.

At this point, if the beggar is still insisting you to gift them, just tell them "sorry, but no." and just leave. I've used many times and they've always given up by the first or second step. Beggars are a real scourge to wizards wherever they go, but maybe like Treasure Card scammers, if we just deny and deny and deny to them, they'll die out.

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
452
TPG Miserie on Apr 17, 2016 wrote:
It depends on how well you know the person. Although bleak, there is a positive side to begging. I actually find it a nice thing to gift others packs in exchange for help. I have a friend who likes to offer help in exchange for gifts (though I think he likes gifting others too and just wants someone who can gift him back.) It's always a nice feeling when we ended up gifting each other after he helps me. Begging is not always wrong.
I agree with you; I gift my good friends often and generously when I can.

I was referring to the post by Kanko, who says he goes to the Commons to offer help to random players in exchange for Packs.
Using the Team Up Kiosk to offer help to strangers is appropriate and it's appreciated.

Survivor
Nov 09, 2012
5
I don't meet beggars very often because i'm usually in emptier realms. I have been begged a couple of times because of my mount that i bought for gold. The Chesnut Pony is one of the cheapest permanent mounts for gold, and just in the day I bought it, someone asked me to gift them a mount. Here's how it went:

Random player: "Can you gift me a wild hare mount?"

Me: "Sorry, I don't have crowns."

Random player: "Oh."

Me: "I got my mount for GOLD in the crown shop."

Random player: "Oh"
"Can you gift me a pack?"

Me: "Like I said before, I don't have crowns.

After that, she didn't say anything else to me, she didn't do anything else at all. She was just standing in the commons. The day after, I saw her online but she didn't say anything (I didn't remove her because she simply left me alone and I don't want to be rude unless she does it again). I also see other players say "Can somebody gift me plz?" quite often.

If someone encounters a beggar that won't leave them alone, they should de-friend the player, quickly hit ignore, and teleport to their dorm/castle.

Caitlin GoldenHeart level 65 (And soon to be higher)

Defender
Jun 09, 2015
117
how to stop beggers from annoying you

begger: give me a ( insert crowns thing )

you: ok

begger: great gift me

you: ok but i have to wait for my parent/paycheck/something else

begger: ok ill wait

you: i'm gonna go questing

begger ok

then leave and when your about to go offline or the beggers about to go offline unfriend them

Defender
Jun 09, 2015
117
people reply on this the beggar annoyance must go on lol and to all the beggars are > <

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
97
This also irritates me. I remember when the Road Warrior pack just came out with that 50% Speed Mount. When I went to Olde Town, these people saw me with a mount (Seraph Wings) which obviously costs crowns, then they connected the dots and they were all:

Beggar: Gift me a Road Warrior Pack.
Me: No.
Beggar: Please! I'll give you treasure cards.
Me: No.
Beggar: Come on!
Me: No, leave me alone.
Beggar: I'm not leaving you alone until you gift me.
Me: Nope... Bye-bye.

Then at that point I switched realms and he kept trying to friend me and I denied it.

Defender
Jun 09, 2015
117
Be my friend on Sep 17, 2015 wrote:
Beggar: Gift me a Jeweled Scarab Mount
You: ok how?
Beggar: Go to Crown Shop
You: Ok uh how? ..?
Beggar: Click CROWNS Button
You: Ok then?
Beggar: Click Mounts, then jeweled Scarab
You: ok I need (insert amount of treasure cards)
Beggar: wait!
You: There's a life lesson don't beg!

Elijah Drake: 26
Elijah Drake: 8
Elijah Drake: 4
one person said he would gift me ( he was walking around the common asking if anyone wanted a gift ) and then he used almost the exact same thing ( what was diffirent was that it wasn't a mount and he didn't ask for treasure cards ) he used that tactic over and over again one other life lesson is don't ask if anyone wants gifts if you can't do it

Defender
Jun 09, 2015
117
another way to stop them is spam no

Defender
Apr 18, 2014
114
Agreed. Me having many crown mounts I get asked to gift people on a daily basis. I occasionally gift packs to my friends but other than that I am not that generous... I just wish Wizard101 had an easier crowns system so other players can get crowns if they can't afford them as is. Begging gets you nowhere, especially when you randomly pick someone out in the commons, randomly send a friend request, and then ask very rudely to be gifted. It especially makes me angry when they attempt to curse me out just because I said no to them.


Survivor
Feb 27, 2015
34
I have a two Person Rex that I mainly use with questing friends and to place my other Wiz on so I don't have to worry about walking both around.

I CONSTANTLY get asked for rides from people who don't even know me! After I say no they beg and beg and beg and then ask for a mount than beg then ask for packs then beg!

I think the worst part about it is when I check their levels, half of them are around my level! (Levels 90-110)

This just proves that you're never safe from Beggers.

~Sarah NightBlossom 103 ~

Survivor
Aug 11, 2012
1
I feel your pain

I believe everyone at this point has been asked at this point....at least once. I don't understand beggars, honestly. When they ask you once, you say no, and they PERSIST. Do they honestly think that you will gift them if they annoy you to death??

To the future wizards of the spiral, NEVER give in to a beggar. You will never benefit from the situation, no matter what they promise you!

Sincerely,

The Phantom

Gabrielle Dawnstone - Level 75
Alexis Rose - level 20
Rowan Souldshard - Level 11

Explorer
May 27, 2012
79
Intrepidatius on Jun 25, 2010 wrote:
I am not nice to beggars. Begging is rude,and I deal with it the same. We need member-only worlds,and that would drastically cut down on the beggars,and others who just like to cause problems.
I recall someone asking about players making their own worlds for themselves. That's actually a real good idea.

Explorer
Mar 07, 2009
50
I know exactly what you mean. Just because I'm a higher level, lower level players think I'm rich for some reason. They'll add me and right off the bat ask for a trade. As soon as I click on the trade notification bubble, they click "ready", implying that they expect me to give them treasure cards for nothing. And let's not forget the endless messages reading "can you gift me a pack?" or "can you gift me a mount?". It's irritating.

Survivor
Jul 14, 2015
1
Webbeam on Oct 19, 2009 wrote:
There are so many beggars in Wizard City now that you can't carry on a conversation with anyone without solicitations popping up over and over. It's gotten so bad it ruins the game for everyone else. Many are just trying to trick newcomers out of treasure cards only to port away without fulfilling the promise of help or trades. It's gotten out of hand and needs to be dealt with.

Are excessive and disruptive solicitations of goods from other players grounds for being reported? Shouldn't it be?
Ok. Let me just say that as much as I love this game and pirates, the amount of excessive begging is ticking my patience. For packs, crowns, membership(from pre-paid cards), mounts, pets, etc... JUST STOP! Talking to beggers here- You do realize you NEVER will get anything from us. If all you do is beg all day, you are the one with no life, not us who actually enjoy the game. Before you even ask for anything, answer this for me: Why on earth do you deserve to be gifted? To recieve a prize worth real life money... Exactly. Get it yourself kid!

DeDuncanStuff

Survivor
Apr 16, 2011
4
If low level people try to add me to ask for treasure cards or gifts (or whatnot) I just turn my friend requests off.

hope this helps!

Emma Lvl 96

Explorer
Apr 15, 2012
64
Ambrose and the school professors need to state clearly that crown items cost real money.

When these little kids are wandering wizard city begging for gifts, they are pretty much asking
complete strangers for money. And that's not okay.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1308
Corathus on Aug 5, 2016 wrote:
Ambrose and the school professors need to state clearly that crown items cost real money.

When these little kids are wandering wizard city begging for gifts, they are pretty much asking
complete strangers for money. And that's not okay.
I think that's a great idea.

I would be highly uncomfortable gifting anyone I did not know in real life, (aside from - I don't have it to give), because that could be someone's little kid, in which case, who asks strangers to be sending gifts to some stranger's kid? And what parents are reinforcing the kid to look to strangers to gift them things? I just...nope. No way.

That's not the only reason I fend off random invitations and requests but it's a good one.

Survivor
Sep 28, 2015
41
I have a way on how to stop them from asking.

Beggar: Hey can you gift me a mount?
You: No
Beggar: plz
You: I said no now go play in olde town or something.
Beggar: I will gift you treasure cards
You: Fine, but later
Beggar: Ok (the beggar will most likely friend you. Say yes)
Wait a few minutes and then turn off "allow friend teleports" and "allow friend requests"
(Optional) Send them a message saying: "Stop begging people. Just because I may be higher level than you doesn't mean I am rich on crowns and gold"
Unfriend them.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
582
I think begging should be punishable. Its really really really annoying and people don't like it. If they are punished, they won't do it again. A punishment could work the same way as if someone were cursing.