Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The brilliant "easter eggs" in Wizard101

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 04, 2010
I think there are some very indistinct refrences to the warriors seires.
1st, Tigerstar is like malistaire. seems frightning at first, but is easy to kill.
2nd, the way the game is set up is kind of like how the many (5 i think) series of warriors are set up. First, you meet the enemy. Then, you travel through the books/worlds, trying to find a way to defeat that enemy. Finally, the enemy is killed (but not always how you expect it). then repeat.
But, along the way, you have to make stops (wysteria, grizzlehiem, wintertusk/field guides, super editions)
3rd, theres alway someone along the way that betrays you, but it only makes you stronger. For example, after you do a quest line, you end up having to fight zarathax, who you thought you could trust. Kind of like in warriors, where bluestar is betrayed by tigerclaw when he tries to kill her.

PS- I hope i'm not the only person here whose read warriors. Or else i've totally embarassed myself......
Faces!

Defender
Feb 26, 2012
hermionejeangrange... wrote:
I think there are some very indistinct refrences to the warriors seires.
1st, Tigerstar is like malistaire. seems frightning at first, but is easy to kill.
2nd, the way the game is set up is kind of like how the many (5 i think) series of warriors are set up. First, you meet the enemy. Then, you travel through the books/worlds, trying to find a way to defeat that enemy. Finally, the enemy is killed (but not always how you expect it). then repeat.
But, along the way, you have to make stops (wysteria, grizzlehiem, wintertusk/field guides, super editions)
3rd, theres alway someone along the way that betrays you, but it only makes you stronger. For example, after you do a quest line, you end up having to fight zarathax, who you thought you could trust. Kind of like in warriors, where bluestar is betrayed by tigerclaw when he tries to kill her.

PS- I hope i'm not the only person here whose read warriors. Or else i've totally embarassed myself......
Faces!

I tried to read it but stopped after the first book so i have no idea what you are talking about XD

Defender
Apr 08, 2011
kuy5 wrote:
How about the quest: "Enter the Sandman."

And the song by Metallica: "Enter Sandman."

Whoo Metallica! xD

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Peabotz wrote:
In Avalon, not sure about this one.

Sir Malory.
Instead of actually being Mordred, the killer of King Arthur.
It is actually a tribute to Sir Thomas Malory. The author or person who compiled Le Morte d'Arthur.

Which is the original name of the story about King Arthur.
Incidentally, he wrote or compiled it while in jail.
Possibly in Newgate Prison.

Which we recognize from Marlybone.

Another one that I am wondering about.
Is Sir Perry Gilliam, maybe a play on a name?
Such as Terry Gilliam, of Monty Python Fame?

Yes, you're correct on Sir Thomas Malory and Terry Gilliam.
There are many, many Monty Python references in the game. :)

Survivor
Jan 27, 2012
My favorite easter egg in wizard101 is in grizzlehiem when grimnir tells you to find the "eye of truth". He also says it can "show you what you can not see". This refers to the eye of truth at the bottom of the well in Ocarina of Time. Legend of Zelda anyone?

Survivor
Sep 17, 2010
I have been wondering if there has been any Avalon eater eggs because all i know of is the dark knight because he has bat banners in his cave. Does anyone have any other ideas?

thanks,
Nathan Firemask level 74 wizard 8)

Survivor
Jul 28, 2011
Obvious one- abbey road in Avalon. Abbey road is an album by the Beatles.

Survivor
Dec 19, 2011
Lets See.

Wizard City: I have no idea
Krokotopia: Ancient Egypt
MarleyBone: Late 19th century London (Since sherlock holmes stories take place during that time period)
Mooshu: Pre-industrial Japan and ancient China
DragonSpyre: Ancient Rome with Russians
Celestia: Atlantis with science fiction elements
Grizzleheim: Scandinavia (home of Norse Mythology)
Wintertusk: Jotuunheim (A realm in Norse mythology that was ruled by giants, mainly the Frost Giants)
Zafaria: Ancient Africa
Avalon: Have not been there yet

Some other Easter eggs
*the balance spell, Ra, is based off the Egyptian god of the sun, Ra *heck hound is based off the Hell Hound, demonic dogs from the underworld who had red (or black) fur and have glowing yellow eyes
*Storm Lord look looks like Zeus, Greek god of lightning
*Dr. Von's monster is obviously Dr. Frankenstein monster
*Talos is a reference toward a creature made of steel in Greek mythology
*The Spiral is just one big reference toward Norse mythology. In Norse mythology, the nine realms (aka worlds) surrounded a gigantic tree in the very middle. In the game, the worlds of the spiral rotate around Barlteby, a gigantic tree..

Interesting right. :D

Survivor
Mar 30, 2010
SuperSaiyan5000 wrote:
draco11121314 wrote:
krok = egypt, marley = london, mooshu = japan, idk about the rest
DS= Rome :D

When in rome, do as the romans do. I think dragonspyre is more like Greece because of the pillars, and the inhabitants are all russian! Maybe it's a multicultural world with a mix of everything?

Survivor
Nov 12, 2011
Monty Python and the holy grail reference: In Avalon the gardening guy's name is Roger the Shrubber, and in the scene "The knights who say ni" that is the name of the shubber!

Survivor
Nov 21, 2010
Bobopoof wrote:
SuperSaiyan5000 wrote:
draco11121314 wrote:
krok = egypt, marley = london, mooshu = japan, idk about the rest

When in rome, do as the romans do. I think dragonspyre is more like Greece because of the pillars, and the inhabitants are all russian! Maybe it's a multicultural world with a mix of everything?

Actually, I would equate Dragonspyre to Pompeii.
I know the accents are of Russian dialect.

But the city with it pillars and seemingly, volcanic activity,
reminds of Pompeii after Vesuvius erupted.

Don't forget too, that the Roman Empire "borrowed" many things from the Greeks.
Including their architecture.

Defender
May 24, 2012
Back in the day when the ladies in London dressed like the girls in Marleybone there was a small daily paper you could buy for one cent. It was called the Penny Dreadful. OMG. My favorite is the philosopher bear standing next to the river in Grizzleheim who asks if a bear sits in the woods. I laughed at that one all evening.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
larry071 wrote:
Monty Python and the holy grail reference: In Avalon the gardening guy's name is Roger the Shrubber, and in the scene "The knights who say ni" that is the name of the shubber!

Funny you should mention that~ I just signed out of Wiz to play Sims Medieval, and there's an NPC called Roger the Shrubber in my current game as well. :P

Avalon is full of Monty Python refs, the most notable of which were already mentioned. My favourites are "the knights who say Ni" and "I require... a shrubbery!" All that's missing now is a song about traffic lights (only because they don't exist in the Spiral~ cue darkness, despair).

Bobopoof wrote:

It could be one, the other, or both. But perhaps it's just the general awesomeness of that place. When in Dragonspyre... ;)

Off to find my shrubbery!
-veebz

Survivor
Mar 27, 2010
please tell me where i can find the history in the drum jungle live searched cant find it

Survivor
Oct 01, 2010
mare62 wrote:
Dr. Who reference in Marlybone - Regents Square, In front of Scotland Yard. Red Telegraph Box, looks like the Blue police box.- The Tardis. The sign says that it is smaller on the inside - not larger like the tardis. The dog looks like a reference to Tom Baker - 4th doctor who wore the big scarf.

A Star Wars reference too. Hannibal Onetusk located in Baobab Market, Zafaria - Han Solo?

Also for dr who; the prof. in relation that prof.'s can be called doctors if the situation provides. Also on the telegraph box, reference to telephone box, also says "not for public use" while the TARDIS says "for public use". The prof also is wearing converse( like the 10th dr), a bowtie( like the 11th dr[ maybe the hat too not quite sure]), and holding a cane( like the 1st dr). That's all I got I just got into marleybone ( I'm such a noob!) but I'm also a whovian so I couldn't resist!

Bye now!!

Defender
Jul 11, 2011
I Have a few: Dolly salvidor { spelling errors?] Related to famous paintier Salvidor Dolly, Quest follow the yellow brick road, Dorothy gale., ruby slippers oh how i love the wizard of oz! Sherlock holmes, sherlock bones, lol, this one is so easy! Krockopatra- Cleopatra!, idk if this is a easter egg but i have a pet unicorbn named charlie { search it on google lol} Grizzleheim- Norse mythology, i am not sure but private conley also gives you a quest called 'saving private o'ryan' Refferance to the movie Saving o'ryan i think thats what its called? and last one is the jabberwock relates to the the jabberwocky

Explorer
Mar 20, 2010
I think that the fire spell Efreet is a reference to the tribe of djinn in Arab-Muslim mythology.

The world of MooShoo is based on the dish, and there you fight PIGS! And the scrolls right in the space between the Palace and the areas, the ones with the statues of pigs and stuff, they read "zhu" (猪)which means pig in Chinese. The Tao symbols have three instead of one swirls. And there really was a "Warring States Period" as specified on the scrolls.

The Art of War quest in Dragonspyre is an obvious one-the book written by Machiavelli.

In Wysteria the cat from Mirage in the dorms is a reference to the 1001 Arabian Nights.

Krokohotep is a reference to Egyptian history, the guy who started worshipping Atem the sun disk, I think.

Survivor
Jun 03, 2012
queenlybluebean wrote:
Oooh! Gilgamesh!!!!! I would love to quest in ancient Sumeria. I want in on that storyline, if it ever comes to be. Sea monsters, eerie caverns, a great flood, epic adventures as we quest to save an ancient civilization...

Maybe we could get there from Sphinx Island, and the storyline could complete the mystery of Balance magic.

For that matter, we have yet to meet Apollo, Athena, and the rest of the Greek pantheon. So much material, so little time :)

qbb
has any one read the goddes girls series books it teen in greek myhth

Survivor
Nov 28, 2010
This is a very vague one, but Wysteria reminds me somewhat of Soror, in the Planet of the Apes.

There are a few things I found in common:
-The two lands (Wizard City & Wysteria in this case) are almost identical
-One is an opposite rule of race (or animal species in this case)
-In Wysteria, the animals are in control, and are developed creatures

This is vague because almost all animals in W101 are developed, and there is not one human inhabitant, other than the headmaster, in Wysteria. Therefore, the whole dystopia of humans being treated as caged animals is not present.

One other thing Wysteria reminded me of this the Triwizard Tournament from HP. The wizard students from each school would compete in different challenges for the Goblet = The different wizards from different worlds dueling for the cup. At the same time, in both stories, there is also a crisis going on, so that could be included as an easter egg too.

Explorer
Mar 07, 2009
anybody noticed what one of the fang guardians says? macbeth anyone?

Survivor
Dec 03, 2010
Slickriptide on Mar 24, 2012 wrote:
I can see that folks need to watch some more movies.

The Samurai armor in the Kirin Hoard packs is modeled after the armor worn by Tom Cruise in _The Last Samurai_.

The back banner featured on that armor is the "war banner" of _The Seven Samurai_.

Hannibal Onetusk is not just a reference to Star Wars. He and his boat are modeled after Captain Charlie Allnut and _The African Queen_. I got a big grin the first time I saw the boat, without even getting the Star Wars reference!
I personally also believe that Hannibal Onetusk is in reference to the great Carthaginian General, Hannibal who was famous for his use of Elephants in war. Oh, and his brothers boat is a reference to the song, Dancing Queen. And, queen Elissa is another name for Queen Dido, a mythical or real queen of Carthage, and indeed the founding queen, which queen Elissa is also.

Survivor
Nov 21, 2010
The new world of Azteca.

You have to meet with an Edward Halley.
Who then mentions a comet.

Halley's comet anybody?

Although the person credited with Halley's comet was
Edmond Halley.

Just love how KI plays with famous people and their names.

Oh, by the way.
Is it my imagination, or does the character Edward Halley
sound like Sean Connery?

Explorer
Sep 03, 2012
PottingTea on May 4, 2011 wrote:
Let's face it - Wizard101 contains a LOAD of references to books, other games and whoknowswhat. And then there's just these little utterly brilliant gems that crop up here and there. So, let's collect those!

However, let's keep it to the little details that most people pass by without a second glance, and which you usually only pick up on the third or fourth run past. Dorothy wanting to visit Toto and Tin Man and gives out Red Slippers for a reward, for instance, is a very obvious reference and thus isn't exactly a hidden gem.

A gem would be Montgomery in the Science Center - who has a scottish accent if you listen to his voice file. His character design is based on an Aberdeen Terrier. The Aberdeen Terrier is generally known as the Scottish Terrier.

So, what gems have you located that you often had to explain to your friends before they understood your sudden amusement?
The entire MB story line is a copy of the newest sherlock holms movies!

Defender
Sep 29, 2008
SuperSaiyan5000 wrote:
wow rome sure wasn't built in a day but it was destroyed in one in this game lol

Defender
Sep 29, 2008
cookiejar42 on Jul 29, 2011 wrote:
Almost everything in KT and Balance Magic is based off of Egyptian mythology (as stated above: Alhazred, Krokonomicon, Judgement). Krokopatra? KROKHOPTEP? (can't quite remember what that one is but I know it's some reference.) The creators of this game are geniuses.
KROKHOPTEP kohotep the evil priest from the movie the mummy that was betraying his pharo and got mummified alive as a punishment if i'm guessing right.