Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The brilliant "easter eggs" in Wizard101

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
Let's face it - Wizard101 contains a LOAD of references to books, other games and whoknowswhat. And then there's just these little utterly brilliant gems that crop up here and there. So, let's collect those!

However, let's keep it to the little details that most people pass by without a second glance, and which you usually only pick up on the third or fourth run past. Dorothy wanting to visit Toto and Tin Man and gives out Red Slippers for a reward, for instance, is a very obvious reference and thus isn't exactly a hidden gem.

A gem would be Montgomery in the Science Center - who has a scottish accent if you listen to his voice file. His character design is based on an Aberdeen Terrier. The Aberdeen Terrier is generally known as the Scottish Terrier.

So, what gems have you located that you often had to explain to your friends before they understood your sudden amusement?

Defender
May 11, 2009
well an obvious one would be sherlock holmes/bones, and making him a bloodhound, the natural tracker dog, and watson who is portrayed by an english bulldog, which is stocky, portly breed, just as watson is in the media (which in the books, wasn't stocky or portly)

Survivor
Nov 22, 2010
English Bulldogs are tenacious too and Watson was nothing if not tenacious.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are guards in Olde Town, also courtiers in the Shakespeare play Hamlet.

Defender
May 25, 2009
I think another one is the "Saving Private O'Ryan" quest. It obviously refers to "Saving Private Ryan", one of my favorite movies :-D

Anthony Ghosthunter, Legendary Theurgist
Gabriel Mythwraith, Adept Diviner

(I am quitting my subscrition until a new world comes out...)

Survivor
Sep 20, 2009
Here's another one from Marleybone, Dr HG Waggs who is taken captive by his invention Stoker. Obviously, Waggs is HG Wells, one of the founders of the science fiction genre, and I at least think Stoker is referring to Bram Stoker the Irish author who wrote Dracula.

Survivor
May 05, 2011
Heres one from Marley Bone to, when you talk to someone, I forgot who, he says "You went to Jareds!" Jareds is a jewlery store, and there trademark slogen is "He went to Jareds" I found it funny! :-)

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2009
The design for Marleybone is based off of where Sherlock Holmes lives.

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
here's an obscure one- marleybone's knight's court has an NPC with the last name anderson, and one with the last name stone. these were the last names for the judge, and the actor who played the judge, in the tv show 'night court'. (harry anderson played judge harold t. stone in the show).

Astrologist
Aug 13, 2009
SoxKid wrote:
well an obvious one would be sherlock holmes/bones, and making him a bloodhound, the natural tracker dog, and watson who is portrayed by an english bulldog, which is stocky, portly breed, just as watson is in the media (which in the books, wasn't stocky or portly)

Watson is portrayed as his pet in the story, a Bulldog by the way.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
To add to the first post's Easter egg:
CL has an engineer named Montgomery, who is a Scottish terrier...

The chief engineer of the original Startreck series was named Montgomery Scott. If you watch enough episodes, or if you watch the new Startreck movie, you will run across Scottie's first name.

Survivor
Nov 27, 2010
I can't believe nobody's mentioned "Fight Grubb" yet!

(mind you, Fight Club is 12 years old now. Time flies...)

Survivor
Sep 20, 2009
Here's a couple more,
In Crab Alley, King Thermidor has an adivsor named Thomas Cromshell, the real King Henry VIII who was known for secretly composing and playing songs (he supposedly composed the tune for Greensleeves) had an advisor named Sir Thomas Cromwell.

The bear Baldr Goldpaws, the trader from grizzleheim is named after the norse god of trade, Baldr.

Mastermind
Jul 26, 2009
XxdsawxX wrote:
Heres one from Marley Bone to, when you talk to someone, I forgot who, he says "You went to Jareds!" Jareds is a jewlery store, and there trademark slogen is "He went to Jareds" I found it funny! :-)

I was going to post that one. Oh well.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
The Troggs that Zeke asks you to find in Wintertusk is a continuation of his theme of finding things named after real life bands. Like the The Beetles in Krokotopia and the Blue Oyster Cult in Mooshu.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
There is also a very passive reference to Winnie the Pooh in Austrilund while collecting honey from the bee hive.

Defender
May 11, 2009
2 more Sherlock Holmes references:
Sherlock Bones live on Barker Street (in the book he lives on Baker Street, and inside Bones' house you find a violin, which Holmes also plays.)
Then there is Meowiarty who is based off of Moriarty, who in Sherlock Holmes books, is his biggest enemy

Also Jacques the Scratcher --> Jack the Ripper

Astrologist
Aug 13, 2009
Katzenstein is Wizard101's Frankenstein, duh.
Hmm... well I don't know if you'd consider this an Easter-Egg, but what about Scotland Yard, England's police system?
Jotuun, a Giant in Norse Mythology, and Jotun the Grendel are probably an Easter Egg.
Then there's a Grizzleheimian bear, by the name of Thorbolt. I think it's that, anyways, but I know it had "Thor" in it. If you've no intellect on Norse Myths, Thor is the God of Thunder, a.k.a. Odinson. **Thor is the son of Odin**.

Survivor
May 04, 2010
mman17 wrote:
Katzenstein is Wizard101's Frankenstein, duh.
Hmm... well I don't know if you'd consider this an Easter-Egg, but what about Scotland Yard, England's police system?
Jotuun, a Giant in Norse Mythology, and Jotun the Grendel are probably an Easter Egg.
Then there's a Grizzleheimian bear, by the name of Thorbolt. I think it's that, anyways, but I know it had "Thor" in it. If you've no intellect on Norse Myths, Thor is the God of Thunder, a.k.a. Odinson. **Thor is the son of Odin**.

How about Storm Lord that is drawn to the likeness of Zeus. Or the Healing Hand cards, which look like the hand of God from the Michael Angelo painting 'The Creation of Adam.'

Squire
Apr 30, 2010
My favorite is Who is the keymaster? Ghostbusters anyone?

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
tweetybird18428 wrote:
My favorite is Who is the keymaster? Ghostbusters anyone?

Haha yeah, I am waiting for an upcoming quest titled "Are you the Gatekeeper?"

How about the lvl 55 Wintertusk quest help posts that Greyrose et al have been typing up? Surely I am not the only one that noticed that the Su Su Sudrilund quest is homage to Phil Collins and that song "Suh Suh Sudilo". (Or however the lyrics actually spell it.)

Defender
Dec 08, 2010
oh i got one! in marleybone, barkingham palace! get it? barkingham? buckingham? right?

Survivor
Mar 12, 2011
I think the cleverest one so far is Urt and Bernie in Vertrilund. Their quest has you save a yellow ducky. Seasame Street anyone?

Survivor
Mar 13, 2011
There is a quest in Mooshu that is called "Et tu, Lili?" which is a reference to Shakespeare's Julius Caesar "Et tu, Brute?".

Almost every area in Marlebone exists (including Marlebone-Marylebone)
Zeke's quests are named after british bands :-D

Also, many areas in ds were real in ancient Rome.

There are sooo manyeaster eggs I can't even remember them all!

Explorer
Aug 20, 2009
- Jacques the Scratcher in Knight's Court is a reference to the English legend Jack the Ripper.
- The Grandmaster Artisan quest is called That Seven Seas Show, which is supposed to sound like That 70s Show.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
All of Zeke's quests are rock n roll bands:

1. The Smiths- Popular British Indie rock band from the 80's
2. The Yardbirds- 1960's British Blues/R&B band with psychedelic leanings, featured three of rock's greatest guitarists: Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Paige.
3. The Stray Cats- American 80's band from New York that led the rockabilly rivival of the time.
4. The Lounge Lizards- Another (fairly unknown) 80's band from New York that created "fake jazz with pop and avant-garde rock tendencies."
5. The Stone Roses- short lived British 80's/90's band that merged classic 60's psychedelic rock with an 80's dance beat. (These guys are great!)
6. Blue Oyster Cult- The very first band I personally fell in love with. Though still around today, this New York based thinking man's heavy metal band flourished during the 70's and 80's, having hits like "Don't Fear the Reaper" and "Godzilla"
7. The Troggs- 1960's Bristish Proto-punk band that was best known for it's song, "Wild Thing"