Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The brilliant "easter eggs" in Wizard101

AuthorMessage
A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Big Ben and Grand Ben. Scotland Yard is also real, and Kensington Park too, Chelsea Court relates to Chelsea Park, and Hyde Park relates to Hyde something, I forget...

Explorer
Jan 17, 2012
I'm rather surprised that in the first three pages of comments, no one mentions the obvious appearance of Dorothy Gale, the Tin Man, and Toto from The Wizard of Oz.

The very first Mander you meet in Krokotopia sounds EXACTLY like Peter Lorre, who played the part of an Egyption in The Maltese Falcon so well he is always remembered for that.

Survivor
Dec 25, 2011
I have only found two and they have already been said. Katensten obviosly is Frankenstein, and Sherlock BONES is obviouly Sherlock Holms.

Explorer
Jan 17, 2012
Another interesting reference is the quest where you learn about the Pet Pavilion and Pet Races.

It's called "Pet Sounds" which was an album by The Beach Boys.

Defender
May 13, 2009
A lot of Grizzleheim and Wintertusk is based from the epic poem of Beowulf. I had to read the book in english.

Explorer
Mar 24, 2011
draco11121314 wrote:
krok = egypt, marley = london, mooshu = japan, idk about the rest
dragonspyre= ancient broken down Greece, wizard city= Greek/European setting, grizzleheim= Viking age, wysteria= the reference of the common TV show street for houswifes, wisteria street, celestia= Atlantis,zafaria= the common African wilderness, wintertusk= ice age

Survivor
Jun 15, 2010
kaleeraisen wrote:
ozzyrocker412 wrote:
queenlybluebean wrote:
Cthulu is one of the elder gods, and is supposedly summoned with a spell from the Necronomicon!

I suspect at least one writer with KI is familiar with HP Lovecraft :)

I always wondered if Gretta Darkkettle is really the Wicked Witch of the West.

Don't know if someone already mentioned this, but the Halloween Scavenger Hunt is rife with allusions to ancient Halloween stories. Jack is an ancient trickster from early Scottish, Irish, and Appalachian American folklore, a cycle of stories known as "the Jack Tales". Jack in the Beanstalk is the one most of us have heard, but there are a couple hundred other Jack stories.

@ozzyrocker, Nice analysis of the Greek epics. I must not be the only one well-read in the classics of western literature :) Wonder if the ancient Sumerian stories will wend their ways into the Great Spiral?

So many stories, and the immensity of cyber space in which to explore them.

qbb, Bookworm

haha maybe we can add a character named Gilgamesh in a new district of Krokotopia??

Who's Gilgamesh? never heard of him before i think lol

Gilgamesh is the sorcerer in the movie: The Smurfs, that iss trying to get them and prove to everyone he's not crazy that there are blue "people" on the world of Earth

Explorer
Mar 24, 2011
joujou11cool wrote:
Big Ben and Grand Ben. Scotland Yard is also real, and Kensington Park too, Chelsea Court relates to Chelsea Park, and Hyde Park relates to Hyde something, I forget...
it is Hyde park from Chicago and there is also one in London. Hyde park, Chicago was featured in a book that is now my favorite called chasing Vermeer.

Survivor
Oct 13, 2009
In Unicorn Way, you get a quest called "Saving Private O'Ryan."
It's a reference from the movie "Saving Private Ryan."

Savanna Moon
Transcended Thuergist

Survivor
Aug 04, 2010
I'm really surprised that no one has pointed out my absolute favorite easter eggs in the entire game!

I'm probably dating myself, but the "Pet Shoppe Boys" are based on the members of the band Pet Shop Boys, Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe.

In the other shop, the "West Ende Girls" are a reference to one of the band's best known songs, West End Girls. Also, "Dusty Shadowcloud" is (I'm assuming) a reference to Dusty Springfield, another awesome British pop idol, who sang on a some of the Pet Shop Boys' songs including What Have I Done to Deserve This.

Survivor
Feb 01, 2011
awesomecam030 wrote:
draco11121314 wrote:
dragonspyre= ancient broken down Greece, wizard city= Greek/European setting, grizzleheim= Viking age, wysteria= the reference of the common TV show street for houswifes, wisteria street, celestia= Atlantis,zafaria= the common African wilderness, wintertusk= ice age

Yes! To wrap it up:
Wizard City = ?
Krokotopia = Classical Egypt
Marleybone = VERY good London
Dragonspyre = ruined Greece
Mooshu = Japan/China (I've always foung them similar and yet different)
Grizzlehiem = Viking setting
Wintertusk = Ice Age
Wysteria = ?
Celetia = Atlantis
Zafaria = African Culture/setting

KI is SO clever!
(I wrote this message in case anyone needed a general, clear idea of the worlds' "Easter Eggs". The little deatails, such as "Krokopatra" - Cleopatra and "Barkingham Palace" - Buckingham Palace, are pretty obvious if you think about it. I also apologize for any misspelled words, no offence to KI, and how long this parenthesis message is.)

See you all in the Spiral!
Cheyenne GriffinCaller Lvl. 42, Myth.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
austindestroyer688... wrote:
kaleeraisen wrote:
ozzyrocker412 wrote:
queenlybluebean wrote:
Cthulu is one of the elder gods, and is supposedly summoned with a spell from the Necronomicon!

I suspect at least one writer with KI is familiar with HP Lovecraft :)

I always wondered if Gretta Darkkettle is really the Wicked Witch of the West.

Don't know if someone already mentioned this, but the Halloween Scavenger Hunt is rife with allusions to ancient Halloween stories. Jack is an ancient trickster from early Scottish, Irish, and Appalachian American folklore, a cycle of stories known as "the Jack Tales". Jack in the Beanstalk is the one most of us have heard, but there are a couple hundred other Jack stories.

@ozzyrocker, Nice analysis of the Greek epics. I must not be the only one well-read in the classics of western literature :) Wonder if the ancient Sumerian stories will wend their ways into the Great Spiral?

So many stories, and the immensity of cyber space in which to explore them.

qbb, Bookworm

haha maybe we can add a character named Gilgamesh in a new district of Krokotopia??

Who's Gilgamesh? never heard of him before i think lol

Gilgamesh is the sorcerer in the movie: The Smurfs, that iss trying to get them and prove to everyone he's not crazy that there are blue "people" on the world of Earth
I believe he was referring to Gilgamesh the King, a Legend from ancient times, who accomplished many great deeds (and if I recall correctly, went insane shortly afterwards....)

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
SuperSaiyan5000 wrote:
draco11121314 wrote:
DS= Rome :D

Actually, Celestia is Rome

Survivor
Mar 02, 2011
Can't believe no one saw in wysteria groundskeeper verne looks like link from the legend of zelda and you have to cut plants in order to get rubies :D

Survivor
Mar 02, 2011
Oh and another basic one is merle ambrose equal merlen or something like that the mightest wizard of them all

Survivor
Jul 28, 2010
GahlWOK (Walk) This Way-"Walk This Way"
Lydia Greyrose resembles the blue fairy from "Sleeping Beauty"
I have to agree, Urt and Bernie is the best.
I can't think of many, but basically every quest is an "Easter egg" or pun. Oh KingIsle, so creative.
The quest in Wintertusk- Brothers Grim. You have to see this one.
Lots of Lion King references in Zafaria.
The fact that the Marleybonians inhabit several worlds represents the fact that at a time the British had taken over several places all over the world.
Merle Ambrose- Merlin, obvious.
Austrilund Weekend-NBA
Dorothy Gale appears in Unicorn Way, along with the quest "Saving Private O'Ryan".
The whole world of Marleybone
The " Water moles" are platipi. Yay I spelled it right!
"Su su sudrilund" in my mind the sound made in "We no Speak Americano" for 3/4 of the song.
Zene's quests are band/Song names
King/Ruler of the Jungle badge- lion.
Well, that is all that comes to mind, but I am sure there are tons more.

~Seth~

Defender
Aug 20, 2008
I can see that folks need to watch some more movies.

The Samurai armor in the Kirin Hoard packs is modeled after the armor worn by Tom Cruise in _The Last Samurai_.

The back banner featured on that armor is the "war banner" of _The Seven Samurai_.

Hannibal Onetusk is not just a reference to Star Wars. He and his boat are modeled after Captain Charlie Allnut and _The African Queen_. I got a big grin the first time I saw the boat, without even getting the Star Wars reference!

Survivor
Jan 29, 2009
hmm, well i haven't heard anybody come up with this so, here goes:
wolfminister abbey in mb: this is the westminister abbey in london

Survivor
Dec 12, 2009
The fact that Marleybone is a huge reference to Sherlock. 221 Barker Street? Meowriarty? I couldn't have thought of anything better myself!

Defender
Aug 22, 2010
Jotun in grizzleheim is named after a mythical Norse creature

Defender
Aug 22, 2010
Cleopatra was last ruler of Egypt.krokopatra was last boss of krokotopia

Defender
May 17, 2011
Ambrose. Ambrose is really an old, kindly wizard of legend.

Defender
Nov 05, 2011
I'm sure i've seen several easter eggs in Wizard101, I've just forgotten them :-o

Jasmine IceBringer

Mastermind
Aug 10, 2011
-In Wizard101, there is a World called Celestia. In My Little Pony, there is a Winged Unicorn named Princess Celestia....
-Celestial means Heavenly in Spanish.

Survivor
Dec 12, 2009
How about the quest: "Enter the Sandman."

And the song by Metallica: "Enter Sandman."