Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The brilliant "easter eggs" in Wizard101

AuthorMessage
Squire
Mar 07, 2011
Gosh, I guess I forgot maybe the most well know zeke quest:

The Beatles- I hope everyone who reads this knows who The Beatles are. Otherwise, I am officially too old. John Lennon & Paul McCartney are probably rock's most prolific songwriters of all time. (though I could make an argument that Ray Davies of The Kinks should hold this title).

Survivor
Jun 18, 2009
Well, good ole Dr. Katzenstein, name taken from Dr. Frankenstein!

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Dr. Purreau is a reference to Dr. Moreau, in the film, "The Island of Dr. Moreau".

Sergeant Culpepper in Briskbreeze Tower was historically connected to Katherine Howard, 5th wife to King Henry VIII.

Hmm...

qbb

Defender
Aug 03, 2009
1) In Celestia, there is a boss named Cuthalla. He is named after Cthulu, an ancient beingfrom the novel, "The Call of Cthulu." (Cthulu is meant to be said like Cuthalla).
2) Krokotopia has wizards searching for the Krokonomicon, a book of Lie and Death magic, which was written in part by Alhazred, the Balance instructor. This is based off of the Necronomicon (more commonly known as "The Book of the Dead") which contained spells and rituals regarding Life and Death. It was written by someone named Abdul Alhazred.
3) Kensington Park's quests, "The Crime Machine," "The Invincible Man," and "The War of the Weird," are spin-offs of H.G. Wells' most famous novels. Kensignton is based around the players saving H.G. Waggs, who is based off of Wells.
4) Some main bosses of MooShu, such as Kagemoosha, Ideyoshi, Nomoonaga, and Tomoogawa are named after actual Japanese warlords (Kagemusha, Hideyoshi, Nobunaga, and Tokugawa).
5) The spell Judgement refers to the Greek goddess Themis, who was goddess of Justice. She is depicted as a blindfolded woman holding a scale and a sword, just as the spell is depicted.
6) Many Crabs in Celestia such as Agenor, Nestor, Xanthus, and Nereus are named after characters in Homer's "Illiad."
7) One of the quests in Katzenstein's Lab is titled, "If You Build It...", which possibly refers to the movie, "Field of Dreams." In that movie, the line, "If you build it, they will come," is said repeatedly.
8) Forest Lord looks a lot like Chewbacca from "Star Wars." I'm not sure if this was intentional or not, but I figured it's worth pointing out.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Cthulu is one of the elder gods, and is supposedly summoned with a spell from the Necronomicon!

I suspect at least one writer with KI is familiar with HP Lovecraft :)

I always wondered if Gretta Darkkettle is really the Wicked Witch of the West.

Don't know if someone already mentioned this, but the Halloween Scavenger Hunt is rife with allusions to ancient Halloween stories. Jack is an ancient trickster from early Scottish, Irish, and Appalachian American folklore, a cycle of stories known as "the Jack Tales". Jack in the Beanstalk is the one most of us have heard, but there are a couple hundred other Jack stories.

@ozzyrocker, Nice analysis of the Greek epics. I must not be the only one well-read in the classics of western literature :) Wonder if the ancient Sumerian stories will wend their ways into the Great Spiral?

So many stories, and the immensity of cyber space in which to explore them.

qbb, Bookworm

Defender
Aug 03, 2009
queenlybluebean wrote:
Cthulu is one of the elder gods, and is supposedly summoned with a spell from the Necronomicon!

I suspect at least one writer with KI is familiar with HP Lovecraft :)

I always wondered if Gretta Darkkettle is really the Wicked Witch of the West.

Don't know if someone already mentioned this, but the Halloween Scavenger Hunt is rife with allusions to ancient Halloween stories. Jack is an ancient trickster from early Scottish, Irish, and Appalachian American folklore, a cycle of stories known as "the Jack Tales". Jack in the Beanstalk is the one most of us have heard, but there are a couple hundred other Jack stories.

@ozzyrocker, Nice analysis of the Greek epics. I must not be the only one well-read in the classics of western literature :) Wonder if the ancient Sumerian stories will wend their ways into the Great Spiral?

So many stories, and the immensity of cyber space in which to explore them.

qbb, Bookworm

haha maybe we can add a character named Gilgamesh in a new district of Krokotopia??

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
ozzyrocker412 wrote:
haha maybe we can add a character named Gilgamesh in a new district of Krokotopia??

Oooh! Gilgamesh!!!!! I would love to quest in ancient Sumeria. I want in on that storyline, if it ever comes to be. Sea monsters, eerie caverns, a great flood, epic adventures as we quest to save an ancient civilization...

Maybe we could get there from Sphinx Island, and the storyline could complete the mystery of Balance magic.

For that matter, we have yet to meet Apollo, Athena, and the rest of the Greek pantheon. So much material, so little time :)

qbb

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
There is a wintertusk quest called, "That's so Raven." That used to be a show on TV

Survivor
Mar 24, 2009
In marleybone, Wolfminister Abbey. "Westminister Abbey"

Explorer
Jul 14, 2010
Obvious one: in the marlybone spiral gate, one of the statue's name-plates is apparently Saint Bernard, and the statue looks like the dog breed of the same name. There's also a Saint Terry if I remember right, which looks like some kind of terrier.

Survivor
May 09, 2011
ia any one else reminded of Flotsam and Jetsam fro m Disney's "The little mermaid" when they see eel mobs?

Survivor
Feb 07, 2009
Farley could be a refrence to farley street in waxahatchie TX.Also zigmund
the scientest+ sigmund fraud(i forgot how to spell his name).catherine is a refrence to the serviving wife of king henry the 8th.i'm thinking of so many possabilities that i could guess.oh and Mr. Lincoln could be from a song called Mr.Lincoln i've been thinkin'.

Survivor
Jul 25, 2010
krok = egypt, marley = london, mooshu = japan, idk about the rest

Mastermind
Mar 16, 2010
The grandmaster artisan quests name is called "That Seven Seas Show".Its referenced to That 70's Show.

Survivor
Jun 21, 2009
I don't know if anyone's pointed this out yet, but The Malistare quest's name, "The Final Countdown" may be a reference to a popular song from the old band "Europe"

Delver
Feb 18, 2010
professor Alhazred and the Krokonomicon are some easter eggs too lol. i saw on this guy's blog post that the Krokonomicon was based from the Necronomicon, this mythical book or something with powers over the dead, created by none other than this crazy guy named ALHAZRED. XD this isnt exactly as well known as others, but its true! :-D (at least i think it is )

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
Nicitas wrote:
The design for Marleybone is based off of where Sherlock Holmes lives.

Also Meowiarity instead of Moriarity. Now, for a hidden gem...I got nothing. Oh, and malt22, if you love Blue Oyster Cult then see the Saturday Night Live cowbell skit. "I've got a fever, and the only perscription is more cowbell!"

Jasmine
"I've got a fever, and the only perscription is more cowbell!"

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Bookshelvings wrote:

So, what gems have you located that you often had to explain to your friends before they understood your sudden amusement?

AT the end of Tomb of the Beguiler you see three manders.

You saw them one at a time as you went through the dungeon, now you see them all behind the main boss

Their names, if you read them out loud, are:

Art (Art'he)
James (Jah'mes)
Ray (Rah'ea)

And the one standing outside that asks you to go in, in the first place is
Mark (Mah'rek)

I would love to know who Art, James, Ray, and Mark really were - part of the development team for Krok maybe? Founders of Wizard101? Something else?

Administrator
crystalwizard12345... wrote:

I would love to know who Art, James, Ray, and Mark really were - part of the development team for Krok maybe? Founders of Wizard101? Something else?

Arte, James and Rhea were three designers who worked on Wizard101 at the time we launched. They are no longer a part of the team, but are still in the credits as Launch Team Members. You can view the credits from the Options panel in the game.

community@wizard101.com
Mastermind
Nov 04, 2010
draco11121314 wrote:
DS= Rome :D

Defender
Aug 03, 2009
There are several references to Indiana Jones:
(1) In the Island Getaway house, there is a room which features a rolling boulder that falls over a hallway. This refers to the scene where Indy must outrun a giant bolder that chases him through a temple after he recovers a golden statue.
(2) The Krokotopia dungeon, Throne Room of Fire, features a map room and Staff of Krok that refer to an identical map room and staff in Raiders.

Though this isn't in Wizard101, I feel this is a easter egg OF Wizard101 in another game. In Pokemon Black and White, there are a set of locations called, Dragonspiral Tower (how coincidental that the tower is named after the world of towers :-o ), the GIANT Chasm (Grand Chasm), and the Celestial Ruins (or something like that).

Defender
Aug 03, 2009
SuperSaiyan5000 wrote:
draco11121314 wrote:
DS= Rome :D

Wizard City= seems to be part renaissance england (architecture), but with American people. DS= Rome WITH RUSSIANS! :D Celestia= Atlantis, possibly Rome/Italy, since the Crabs and Sharks talk in that "thug" Italian accent. Grizzleheim/Wintertusk= Scandinavia, Norse Mythology

Survivor
Mar 13, 2009
the big Ben there is a real big bin and the museum in marly bone is a copy of the great museum in France

Survivor
Mar 13, 2009
in krokotobia you have to fight krokahana witch is queen cleopatura

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
A quest for a Death pet is called "Don't fear the Reaper" which is a song by Blue Oyster Cult.