Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Rudeness/Attitudes of Players...

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
zaccyh wrote:
I am sorry didn't mean for you to have a go at me I know you feel frustrated but I just don't see the point. We report thats good I do the same thing but I don't ge why we stand there patrolling because I know it's a kid game but we should be siggesting stuff to KI not yah know recruiting members. I dont like how your calling me wrong and I know they work around it but what is patrolling going to do? I don't like the crituscisums. As I said we should be reporting to KI how are the going to get banned forever??? New wizards fake e-mails and all that negative attention your giving them is encouraging them to be bad they want the attention. I also don't understand how some words like grapes and perhaps is banned? I am a bit confused their. Sorry you got the wrong message I was just trying to direct their isnt much point in doing this. I support and all but we need to come up with a different strategy right? No need to be hating me for stating my opinion that's what these message boards are for!

Well our efforts are paying off to a small degree. There is an improvement be ever so small. When Darth enters the Dye Shop the wizards recognize him. They shape up. I have even seen wizards siding with us and policing themselves. Stories are spreading and folks are aware of what and why we are doing.

KI can indeed and has permanently banned people. IP bans are one method of doing that. I believe there are others. I agree bad players getting a new account is easy and fast.

Well you can thank the people we are targeting for not be able to say grapes and a host of other words. They were using grape to say rape. You see rape is quite a popular term and subject with some of them.

When you say there isn't much point you sound like those bad wizards. LOL They are trying hard to make us go away. I don't believe that for one second. Our efforts have already made a difference and will continue to do so. The thing I think you both are overlooking is the larger silent majority that has had enough. No we stop everyone from breaking TOU, but, we can make them the smallest minority. We also can show they are being crude, rude and those behaviors are not acceptable or to be looked up to.

It takes a lot to get me this involved in something like this. I know these goings on are not good for the game. They could hurt it. We are simply trying to bring the game back to the family oriented game we all love. I also know this is not right or acceptable.

Megan Frostriver

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2011
What KingsIsle needs t do about this is turn it NOT into a free game. Heres what I mean: You get a 3 day trail to see if you like it then you can buy Crowns or a Membership to continue. And free accounts should NOT be allowed to even open up Text chat. And that will reduce A LOT of the free players just soiling the commons and turning it into ruins like Dragonspyre. Oh wait, I see this in dragonspyre too! But still, the 3 day trail will get rid of Some of the profanity seekers. Then we'll have to deal with members in other worlds.

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
goldendragon18 wrote:
First off, I want to reply to Chelsea, if you have not already found members of the "Wizard City Protectors" in the game, check the Dye shop in Wu realm. Since that is currently the worst area, we will clean it up first, then other areas as we find them. But please find us. We are here to help. There is also a link in my last post that will take you to us on Central.

Darthjt, well said. I honestly cannot believe that anyone would think we are just wasting our time. Like you, if we can turn just the one away from the use of this kind of foul language, then the time and effort we have already put into this and will put into it is well worth it. I sincerely hope that those players don't come up against us in the game using foul language because I will not hesitate to report them and neither will our growing group of friends.

Hunter, I am so glad to see you here. We are determined and we will WIN this battle.

For the rest of you that support our efforts, as I told Chelsea, there is a link in my last post on page 8 of this topic. We will continue to keep a link moving through this thread so feel free to find and join us

Fallon WinterLeaf a "Wizard City Protector"

Few people I'd like to reply to, but i'm gonna go ahead and quote you golden.

I am very happy and excited right now, because I see a huge change coming on!!! I am continuing with my small little break, but I will come back a lot sooner than I expected. I'd like to say golden, thank you so much for getting me into this thread, I have been patrolling the Wu Dye Shop lately. I think we all need to meet at the Wu dye shop and band together to stop this.

My next message will be to Zach, (Don't worry Zach, this is an apology )
I understand you may be tired of us complaining and I may have been harsh to you and KI on this thread and mine. I am just desperate that this game is ridden of such things as cursing and it's working! Please accept my apology, but do go back t my replies and read over them one more time. It's not too hard to understand why we continue this thread.

Survivor
Aug 13, 2011
First let me say way to go Wizard City Protectors! This is my third post to this subject matter and I haven't introduced myself yet. You will see me in the dye shop under the names Autum Darkwhisper, or Cassandra Dreamstone, I am not there as much of some of you, but I do come in now and then. The other night I transformed into a dark sprite and stood by the wall with my giraffe, who was bigger than me at that point (lol). I was amazed how many was there protecting Wizard City, it is awesome that so many have united to get the behavior under control of the rude players. My reason for trying to help protect the spiral is this: My ten year old son was minding his own business one night playing, when a young wizard ran up to him and told him that he likes to have experiences with older men (very eplicit comments this person made to a ten year old). I was amazed, frustrated, and ready to let the mommy roar be heard. Instead I taught my son the right way, report, ignore and dont act like that towards anyone (or your grounded from the computer until you are grown). This foul behavior that goes on should not be allowed on a game that has won the award for Best Family game, but a lot have found ways to go around filters, etc. So when someone asks what good do any of us think we are doing by trying to protect the spiral, I have to explain to them what my own child has been through and do they want their child or friend to go through something like that? Yes, I will stand my ground and help protect the spiral, I will continue to ask KI to do something about the language in the game, and I will continue to ensure that every wizard I meet or see has the knowledge to report harrasment of any kind, racial slurs, cursing, and explict request or remarks.
:-)Esmee, I saw you in the dye shop the other night and just wanted to say, I love the outfit, it is such a graceful outfit for the ongoing purpose of protecting the spiral. You are a true angle helping to defend others.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
zaccyh
I am sorry didn't mean for you to have a go at me

I have gone back and re-read some of you posts to this topic. And after some serious scrutiny, I figured out that you are apparently a young teen at least, so I am going to put this a clearly as I can and nicely.

When you make the kind of statements you have made in regards to something that has become a very serious problem, then you really need to understand what is at stake. This is in now way something that can be compared to Glitches, or lost items or other things that can happen in the course of playing the game.

This problem is a problem for the whole Wizard101 community. Some of us have already admitted we are also at fault for not paying closer attention to what has really been happening with the foul and viscious language that has been going on. By not being more vigilant, these players have been allowed to congregate in public ares of the game and attack anyone they please. Yes, there are a lot of adults that play this game and we just let this stuff roll off when it is directed at us, report and ignore when we see it.
BUT, when this is directed at our children, grand children, nieces and nephews, then it has gone way to far..... Most of the wizarding community has been aware of the problems in Wu realm for at least a year and have made it a point to avoid it. BIG MISTAKE.

We report thats good I do the same thing but I don't ge why we stand there patrolling because I know it's a kid game but we should be siggesting stuff to KI not yah know recruiting members.

Yes, we report and have been when we are questing and see the use of foul language. Unfortunately, as I said, we were not as vigilant as we should have been when passing through the Commons, The Shopping District and even into Olde Town and the Bazaar.

It took Bethysue to open our eyes and really take a look at how serious this problem has become. NOW, because of her (does not matter if she or her daughter plays or not), we are seeing that this needs some intensive care and a very large bottle of MR. CLEAN. This game is not only a kids game. It is a FAMILY GAME and also rated E10+.

Suggesting things to KI? Yes that is done too. There are changes that need to be made that are actually rather simple, but there is also some work that KI has to do in order to make those changes. They cannot do it overnight and they do have to test some of the fixes to make sure it is not going to create other problems in the game. Considering how programs are written, in some cases, all it takes is for 1 letter or 1 number to be out of place.

I don't like the crituscisums, I dont like how your calling me wrong .

Many people can't take criticism even when it is constructive criticism and that includes many adults. But if taken in the way it is actually meant to be, then others can learn that maybe what is being done or suggested for an immediate and temporary solution, gives the opportunity for a long term and more permanent solution to be perfected and put into place.

I am also you don't like being told you are wrong, but under the circumstances, you are wrong.

As for fake email? That doesn't really matter. KI can track an IP address which EVERY computer has when it goes on the internet. KI can and has in the past BLOCKED those IP addresses and does not allow another account to be made from it.

I am not going to copy any more from you post for the simple fact that myself and many others that are working on this to clean up the game could probably easily write about 20 pages worth of why it is important and why we will continue with this clean up until KI gets a better filter in place. It will happen and the "WIZARD CITY PROTECTORS" will win this war of words.

for those wanting to join us. find us at the link below.

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299280

Fallon WinterLeaf a " Wizard City Protector"

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
LeTenshi wrote:
Sadly I understand where you are coming from I play this with my three children and I would keep their chats closed but they have real life friends who play this game with them and they like to have conversations with their friends. I will give a few examples.
One of the occasions I was in a dungeon my daughter came running crying I was frighten I asked her what happened she said momma please teleport they are saying things to me. so I did just that they called my 9 year old so many nasty horrid things she was crying hysterically she has never had anyone talk to her in such a way EVER I had to calm her down she has a heart condition.
On another occasion my youngest was 6 years old at the time which was not too long ago... he wanted the blue fairy wings to go with his sultans armor so I gifted it to him this person started to call my son fag and continued with even worse name calling. My son called me "mammy why is he saying that?" I read it and was so shocked my son did not understand why he was being insulted just because he had fairy wings
my oldest is 14 and as sweet as can be, he tries to help all his friends on his friends list when they ask but this one occasion this guy started yelling to port (how is he yelling in text chat? simple all caps PORT NOW!) so my son did port but since he did not port fast enough this person started to curse my son out calling. After that he just did not want to play wizard anymore. He played wizard for fun not to deal with harassment and rude behavior.
All I could do on all of these moments was report those players and shut the computer after.
even I have been harassed on many occasions, one of the many this person added me to friends list I accepted normally I don't till I am sure who the person is but I thought it was someone else he whispered me gift me few times I told him no sorry I only gift my kids (I am sorry I don't have enough money to support the spiral. I do occasionally gift friends not strangers.) He cursed me out started insulting my kids my family was very racy telling me how I am a poor immigrant. I deleted him and reported him lol he did not like it of course and whispered me back some more nasty things.
anyways the point of these examples this is a FAMILY GAME, does not matter this is the internet, does not matter it’s just pixels, does not matter it is not Facebook, does not matter this is not real life; rude and nasty behavior is unexceptionable period. Those individuals and should in all honesty be IP banned and all accounts under that IP locked.

my niece plays this game as well she told me something that rang a bell, on an occasion she was in a pvp battle in a friend’s house someone teleported in left his teleports open then few other people teleported and 3 level 5's and started cursing out everyone many racist comments later they figured out the 3 level 5 characters were the 3 warlords level 70 players sitting there this is why I think KI should IP ban and block all accounts under that IP. How did they know those individuals were the 3 said low level players when she was pvping her friend they moved the characters over to her to have the mounts behind in her character’s face and the 3 low leveled stopped talking and moving when the 3 other warlords stopped moving the 3 low levels started the insults again, her friend kicked them out but they teleported back and guess to who? The 3 warlords. From my understanding many of the harasser in the commons are very low level they use an alt account/character so there main will not be banned.
Anyways that was my rant and understanding with every person who is sick and tired of this.

LaTenshi, I actually read your post early this morning. I barely got through your statement regarding your daughter. I became so angry, I could not finish reading it at the time. As a grandmother and a great aunt to a couple of young players (currently NOT playing), I can understand what you were going through. I am sure there are others from our group that will also reply to your post. We don't approve of this kind of behavior and will be watching and doing everything within the rules to clean this game up.
I AM SO SORRY this happened to your daughter and your sons.....

@Frank, we appreciate your support and would like anyone interested in helping us clean up the game to join us.

If you and LaTenshi and any of the others wish to do so, please create an account on wizard101central.com. After you have done this, there is a link below that will help you find "Wizard City Protectors". By the way, Wizard101 Central is a FREE site to join.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Thank you to all the people who are new posts to this thread.

The Wizard City Protectors are not here to just report people, but to educate about the Terms of Use as well.

We are making an impact. Many wizards are getting muted or banned. There are some who are asking us questions about who we are and what we stand for. They ask us what's reportable and what's not reportable. Some take up our 'cause' and some don't. We are making a difference. It may not be huge, but we'll take what we can get.

KI will be making changes. We don't know when or how, but in the meantime, we're going to be in the Spiral, doing our best 'to protect and to serve'. We will hold ourselves to the highest standards, and not engage in inappropriate behavior. We are players, young and old, who want to see this game return to the E10+ family friendly venue it once was. We will not back down. We will not be intimidated. We are proud to help any way we can.

Okay, off my soapbox!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
goldendragon18 wrote:
LeTenshi wrote:
Sadly I understand where you are coming from I play this with my three children and I would keep their chats closed but they have real life friends who play this game with them and they like to have conversations with their friends. I will give a few examples.
One of the occasions I was in a dungeon my daughter came running crying I was frighten I asked her what happened she said momma please teleport they are saying things to me. so I did just that they called my 9 year old so many nasty horrid things she was crying hysterically she has never had anyone talk to her in such a way EVER I had to calm her down she has a heart condition.
On another occasion my youngest was 6 years old at the time which was not too long ago... he wanted the blue fairy wings to go with his sultans armor so I gifted it to him this person started to call my son fag and continued with even worse name calling. My son called me "mammy why is he saying that?" I read it and was so shocked my son did not understand why he was being insulted just because he had fairy wings
my oldest is 14 and as sweet as can be, he tries to help all his friends on his friends list when they ask but this one occasion this guy started yelling to port (how is he yelling in text chat? simple all caps PORT NOW!) so my son did port but since he did not port fast enough this person started to curse my son out calling. After that he just did not want to play wizard anymore. He played wizard for fun not to deal with harassment and rude behavior.
All I could do on all of these moments was report those players and shut the computer after.
even I have been harassed on many occasions, one of the many this person added me to friends list I accepted normally I don't till I am sure who the person is but I thought it was someone else he whispered me gift me few times I told him no sorry I only gift my kids (I am sorry I don't have enough money to support the spiral. I do occasionally gift friends not strangers.) He cursed me out started insulting my kids my family was very racy telling me how I am a poor immigrant. I deleted him and reported him lol he did not like it of course and whispered me back some more nasty things.
anyways the point of these examples this is a FAMILY GAME, does not matter this is the internet, does not matter it’s just pixels, does not matter it is not Facebook, does not matter this is not real life; rude and nasty behavior is unexceptionable period. Those individuals and should in all honesty be IP banned and all accounts under that IP locked.

my niece plays this game as well she told me something that rang a bell, on an occasion she was in a pvp battle in a friend’s house someone teleported in left his teleports open then few other people teleported and 3 level 5's and started cursing out everyone many racist comments later they figured out the 3 level 5 characters were the 3 warlords level 70 players sitting there this is why I think KI should IP ban and block all accounts under that IP. How did they know those individuals were the 3 said low level players when she was pvping her friend they moved the characters over to her to have the mounts behind in her character’s face and the 3 low leveled stopped talking and moving when the 3 other warlords stopped moving the 3 low levels started the insults again, her friend kicked them out but they teleported back and guess to who? The 3 warlords. From my understanding many of the harasser in the commons are very low level they use an alt account/character so there main will not be banned.
Anyways that was my rant and understanding with every person who is sick and tired of this.

LaTenshi, I actually read your post early this morning. I barely got through your statement regarding your daughter. I became so angry, I could not finish reading it at the time. As a grandmother and a great aunt to a couple of young players (currently NOT playing), I can understand what you were going through. I am sure there are others from our group that will also reply to your post. We don't approve of this kind of behavior and will be watching and doing everything within the rules to clean this game up.
I AM SO SORRY this happened to your daughter and your sons.....

@Frank, we appreciate your support and would like anyone interested in helping us clean up the game to join us.

If you and LaTenshi and any of the others wish to do so, please create an account on wizard101central.com. After you have done this, there is a link below that will help you find "Wizard City Protectors". By the way, Wizard101 Central is a FREE site to join.

I agree with Fallon. Reading your post made me so sick with anger that it took me a few minutes to form a coherent response~ I don't have kids, but if my little nephew told me that he was being bullied in-game, I'd have a fit.

Thank you to everyone who's taken up the cause, and those who have supported us in our efforts to clean up the Spiral. I encourage all of you to join us, since it's free and fun. We take a lot of flack from potty-mouthed players, but it means that their abusive behaviour is aimed at me, rather than being targeted at a child.

-Laura/El Veeb
a WC protector. ;)

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
mattyv07 wrote:
i have been playing this game for about 6 months and have bot noticed much name calling or harssment. granite i do not spend much time in the commons and avoid the wu realm because of the bad thing i have heard about it. and i just wanted to say that i am 14 and i quess thats a teen and i am very nice and aloways glad to help anyone who asks but i dont apprechiate it when ppl judge all teens because some of us are nice and are kind

@mattyv07,

You are absolutely correct! In fact, a tenant of the WC Protectors' group is that "Most Kids are Good", and that there are usually only a few tricksters who cause disruptions to otherwise peaceful groups. The majority of the wizards we encounter who display poor behavior are doing the following:

Cursing in full text
Cursing around the filters
Creative spelling for cursing
Making sexual references, including simulated sexual acts
Calling unseemly and cruel names, such as the common term for a female dog
Playing out rape scenarios
Playing out other unseemly sexual role playing
Griefing the environment with bullying and other harrassing behavior
Role playing suicide and other killing scenarios

The list does go on, unfortunately.

Please understand that the WC Protectors do not stereotype and generalize all teens and tweens as we monitor and report. We take each situation as it plays out, and we always try to get the offending wizard to understand why s/he has broken the terms of use.

In fact, we welcome any wizard who would like to join our effort to clean up the Spiral. We would love to have a new member, regardless of age, gender, or past transgressions. It is true that some of our best WC Protectors are wizards who were breaking the terms of use, were reported, argued with us, and decided they were in the wrong. There is a huge diversity among us, and we are every growing.

Please consider visiting our group page at Central and reading our public conversations to learn more about the Wizard City Protectors.

Regards,

Queenlybluebean
Iridian Shadowweaver, Archmage Theurgist, WC Protector

Survivor
Apr 11, 2011
I can now walk into the dye shop without seein to much bad stuff. I acknowledge you for this! Pat on the back next time you see me I should be wearing the wizard city protector badge as I see how much it affects the community! Sorry I cause such a cafuffle ( that's a word right?) um hoping you will accept me even though I kinda stuffed up thx

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
I was just checking Central (not a member) and noticed a thread about the Wizard City Protectors. It spoke of patrols, applications, etc.

I do have to say that this is the entirely wrong approach at a problem.
The last thing that we need is some sort of pseudo authoritative club who has the mission of fixing things. There is no interview to allow us to have a report button. We all can, and should use it. There is no mission statement needed to know right from wrong.

It made me curious the other night when someone asked if I was with WCP. I said yes because I made a decision that I will not allow the conduct that I see to continue unabated.
The last thing we need is to take something organic and turn it into some sort of system and delegate our responsibilities away.
There are already police in the spiral. They are called KI support.
Protecting the spiral is ALL of our responsibility.
Once something becomes organized and is perceived to have power, there are those who will use that for their own gain. If you do not believe me, see just about all modern governments as an example.

The key to this is that it stays open to anyone who desires a clean, family friendly game.

pods

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
zaccyh wrote:
I can now walk into the dye shop without seein to much bad stuff. I acknowledge you for this! Pat on the back next time you see me I should be wearing the wizard city protector badge as I see how much it affects the community! Sorry I cause such a cafuffle ( that's a word right?) um hoping you will accept me even though I kinda stuffed up thx

@zaccyh,

We all cause the occasional kerfuffle.

Thank you for your support of the WC Protectors' cause and your kind pat on the collective back. It means a great deal to all Wizard City Protectors to know we have the approval of wizards throughout the Spiral. You are most welcome to join our ranks.

Visit us on Central to learn more about the group, introduce yourself, pick up some tips for safe and effective monitoring and reporting, and review behaviors we find particularly egregious.

Always remember: Knowledge is Power 8)

Warmest Regards from this Wizard City Protector,

Iridian shadowweaver, Archmage Theurgist

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
stormschool99 wrote:
What KingsIsle needs t do about this is turn it NOT into a free game. Heres what I mean: You get a 3 day trail to see if you like it then you can buy Crowns or a Membership to continue. And free accounts should NOT be allowed to even open up Text chat. And that will reduce A LOT of the free players just soiling the commons and turning it into ruins like Dragonspyre. Oh wait, I see this in dragonspyre too! But still, the 3 day trail will get rid of Some of the profanity seekers. Then we'll have to deal with members in other worlds.

In answer to your suggestion about a 3 day trial, NO.

There are many players that have several PAYING accounts and keep one free account for trading TCs between their own Wizards. Most of us started playing here on a FREE2PLAY and became hooked on the game. A 3 day trial is out of the question and could possible reduce the number of new players that join the game. I was FREE2PLAY on my first account for over 3 weeks before I decided to sub it. Unless you play 24 hours a day around the clock, there is not a lot you can do in 3 days, and would NOT entice new members, nor would it be fair to those paying for multiple accounts with a free one.

I don't agree that F2P should not have the option to at least Filtered chat. As for Open, that option would be available on actually subbing/crowning the account for those that qualify or approved by the parent.

There are better ways of dealing with the problems.

We have been seeing more action from KI since we started WCP and the movement is growing. Eventually, with vigilance, the Spiral will be clean again. Never again, will we just run through without really taking a look at the worlds inside the Spiral. We have learned a valuable lesson and will not forget it. KI gave us the tools to use just for this purpose. Now many are finding out the hard way, what happens when you break the rules. Yes, we have a lot of cleaning up to do, but you will not hear ANY WCP member complain about giving up actual play time in order to do what never should have happened in the first place.

I believe The WCP group will be a long lasting group and I sincerely hope will still be an active one when my youngest grandson starts playing this game. And he will. He already sits in my lap when I am questing and even tries to pick my spells for me. lol. He especially likes to see the WOOKIE.

@Cassieluv2676, LOL, so that was you I saw in the Dye Shope. I wish I had known then and I would have added you to my wizard. Next time you see Fallon WinterShade, WinterLeaf, WinterSong, and WinterFlame, just say Fallon and I will add you. Those are the ones I am currently using even though all of my wizards except one wears the WCP badge.

for those wanting to join us. find us at the link below.

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread. ...

LaTenshi, I really hope we will meet up in the game or on Central.

Fallon WinterLeaf a "WC Protector"

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
zaccyh wrote:

Zacc- it takes a big wizard to say they are sorry. I commend you on that.
Welcome to our ranks, we are glad to have another set of watchful eyes! You made my day saying you noticed a difference. I have too. Hope to see you in the Spiral.

My hope is the game will go back to how it was when I started. I use to see people hanging out and having fun together.

Megan Frostriver

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
zaccyh wrote:

I might check the dictionary for that. Hmm. I believe it is kerfuffle, but I may be wrong.

And of course! Why should we turn down a new member? That would be pure dumbness if we did.

And darthjt, I believe I saw you and Fallon today in the Dye Shop. And I managed my first few talk overs! They decided to stop cursing and be nice. :D

Survivor
Nov 21, 2010
I was sitting by the pond in the commons just taking in the sights.
Not saying which realm, frankly wasn't sure which I was on.

I noticed a few players with the Wizard City Protector badge.
Funny how, some people think they are immune to the rules.

There was one in particular. He decided he could use crass language.
By swearing around the filter.

By the way he was wearing the Wizard City Protector badge.
Then when he was reported, he became volatile and cussed even more in caps.

Funny how some think that the rules do not apply to them too.

Hero
May 02, 2009
Figured its about time I post here.

Like many people here and on w101c, I too am tired of seeing so many people break the rules. I normally dont consult with rule-breakers, I just report and move on my way, and if they shout out who reported them, then sometimes I say I did, and state why I did.

People need to learn that cursing in a kids game is not right, and if you curse or do anything against the rules around me, expect to be reported.

I've been apart of some groups in the past and even formed my own group on the fusionfall forums called team lightning, where we would basically help out people with whatever they needed help with for no cost, and it was pretty sucessful there.

I probably should try to get it up and running on w101c, as I want to do what I can to help out the community as best I can.

Thank you for your time.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Peabotz wrote:

Wizard City Protector is a regular badge you achieve in the game just like any other badge.. Our group does not have exclusive rights to use it. Wizard City Protector is a badge that symbolizes what we stand for, but any player in the game can display it, so, please don't make assumptions that everyone you see wearing the WCP badge is a member of our group.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Peabotz wrote:

Peabotz, just to set the record straight, not everyone wearing the "Wizard City Protector" badge is a member of our group. AND NO ONE is immune to the rules. Myself as a member will report ANYONE using inappropriate language. If that player does happen to be a group member, he/she is aware that it is not tolerated and if he/she still decides to break the rules, then they will be reported as well.

Those of us that are official members are aware of who is or is not in the group. We do have a members list.

We do see many players wearing the badge and it is for a three reasons:

(1). many of the lower level wizards have just earned that badge for completing a certain quest in WC and that is defeatng the boss in Strom Drain Tower.

(2). there are those think that by wearing it group members will overlook what they say. This is a false assumption.

(3). There are a few that are wearing it to purposely make the group look bad. That is fine as far as I am concerned because those of us using it for a group badge had an idea this might happen. That just makes us that more vigilant.

I have myself already reported some wearing that badge. It is time that the players that are abusing the priviledge of having text or open chat realize that the language they are using will not be tolerated and the badge will not prevent them from being reported.

But I will say you are right about one thing. There actually are players that think the rules don't apply to them and that having open chat gives them "FREEDOM of SPEECH". Freedom of Speech is only applicable in real life. But not in this game. The game owners have the right to restrict ANY kind of swear words and place sanctions on the offender.

Fallon WinterLeaf a "WC Protector"

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Peabotz wrote:

Not everyone who wears that badge is a part of this "clean up" community. It is still one of the earliest badges you can get, so some wizards don't have many choices at those levels to choose from.

Defender
Jan 01, 2009
flash33,
there is a group on central now that helps wizards on hard tasks. I am sure they would love to have more help. Just go to the forum and search "mercenaries 4 hire"

Michael Nightgem lvl 64 Necromancer
a knight without armor in a savage land

Survivor
Feb 08, 2009
I have been playing this game for several years and lately I have noticed a large increase in foul language. I am definantly one of the younger people, (though not as young as your daughter) and it really bothers me that people would act like that when we all know this is a family game, and there is bound to be younger players listening to conversations. I never hesitate to report those being rude. I dont care if they know its me or not. False reporting is just another check on their "bad things I've done list". As a community it is not only our job to follow the rules, but our job to report those not following them.

I respect your decision, though I do hope you will consider changing your daughters chat to the chat menu one (whatever that is called) and just sharing a true friend code. We always need more responsible adults to report irresponsible teens, (and remember this is coming from a teen :P )

Delver
Feb 16, 2010
Peabotz wrote:

I've seen a few of those folks too. However, that badge is available to a great number of wizards. We have advertised our use of the badge quite well. It is not in the least surprising that there are those out there that would wish to hijack the name to discredit the group. It is also likely that there are some that have indeed joined the group for the sole purpose of discrediting it. After all, the group is open to anyone. However, you won't find a true member of the group, that uses that language in the game. The true members of the group have their hearts and minds on helping to keep the Spiral safe and clean. So by all means report the dastardly Wizard City Protector badge wearer if they are using inappropriate language. It will never be a true member you are reporting.

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
What isn't fun is getting laughed at for not having a pet talent. It's not my fault that my pet can't get Spritely. (She is a Midnight Sprite, got her from Lord Nightshade. Keep her with me. She is now an Ancient.)

Ugh.

Survivor
Feb 08, 2009
queenlybluebean wrote:
mattyv07 wrote:
i have been playing this game for about 6 months and have bot noticed much name calling or harssment. granite i do not spend much time in the commons and avoid the wu realm because of the bad thing i have heard about it. and i just wanted to say that i am 14 and i quess thats a teen and i am very nice and aloways glad to help anyone who asks but i dont apprechiate it when ppl judge all teens because some of us are nice and are kind

@mattyv07,

You are absolutely correct! In fact, a tenant of the WC Protectors' group is that "Most Kids are Good", and that there are usually only a few tricksters who cause disruptions to otherwise peaceful groups. The majority of the wizards we encounter who display poor behavior are doing the following:

Cursing in full text
Cursing around the filters
Creative spelling for cursing
Making sexual references, including simulated sexual acts
Calling unseemly and cruel names, such as the common term for a female dog
Playing out rape scenarios
Playing out other unseemly sexual role playing
Griefing the environment with bullying and other harrassing behavior
Role playing suicide and other killing scenarios

The list does go on, unfortunately.

Please understand that the WC Protectors do not stereotype and generalize all teens and tweens as we monitor and report. We take each situation as it plays out, and we always try to get the offending wizard to understand why s/he has broken the terms of use.

In fact, we welcome any wizard who would like to join our effort to clean up the Spiral. We would love to have a new member, regardless of age, gender, or past transgressions. It is true that some of our best WC Protectors are wizards who were breaking the terms of use, were reported, argued with us, and decided they were in the wrong. There is a huge diversity among us, and we are every growing.

Please consider visiting our group page at Central and reading our public conversations to learn more about the Wizard City Protectors.

Regards,

Queenlybluebean
Iridian Shadowweaver, Archmage Theurgist, WC Protector

I'm glad I read your post, because as a teen myself I have noticed a lot of stereotyping. Which I understand, because the majority of the foul behavior is probably caused by teens. But it does make you feel a little unwelcome when your age group is known as the foul mouthed ones. However I have realized that I'm probably being a little sensitive. The main goal here is to clean up Wizard City, and that is what I should be focusing on.

I guess I never actually paid attention to what those around me were saying until I found out about the WC protectors. I realized that whether or not I had joined the group, as a Wizard, it was my job to help keep WC safe and happy. So when I saw a Wzard saying things he shouldnt be saying, I realized that this was my chance. My chance to help.

I had created a new character simply for the fun of it. My little wizard was fighting Haunted Minions in Trition Avenue when two boys joined the battle. One of the boys was a friend of mine, the other was some random guy. My friend told me about a date he was going on later with his friend, that was a girl. Then the random guy proceeded to ask if my friends girl did certain things that should not be repeated. I was disgusted and apparently my friend was too. I thought I was going to be alone while I repeated the rules, however, I was not. As I told the random guy how he shouldnt speak like that, my friend pointed out how kids could see that and the risk of being banned or muted. The random guy apologized and said he wouldnt do that ever again.

It makes me feel good to know that there is still some people out there that can recognize right from wrong, my friend being one of them. And he too, is a teen. (: