Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Rudeness/Attitudes of Players...

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Mar 14, 2009
71
So I've decided to come up with some sort of order to stop bullies and such.

1. if you see somebody being mean, ask them to stop.

2. If they continue, and are only bothering you, ignore and switch realms. (this may vary: see number 3.)

3. If what they are doing is completely unacceptable, such as vulgarity, (that's a word, right?), anything suggestive, etc. report them immediatedly.

Remember, think before you report. It's a bad thing to just report every tiny thing that you see. Only do it when necessary.

As for some of the things I have realized go around the chat filter....



-Tyler Summertail

Illuminator
Feb 25, 2009
1485
vonawesome1 wrote:
Someone a few posts up made a comment about game rating vs. interaction rating~ I forget who it was, but I totally agree that something needs to be done about that as well.

Keep up the great work, everyone!

-El Veeb


That was me. I found that by doing a little research under the "Parents" tab to the left and then ESRB ratings. You can do a search for Wizard101 after you get into those ratings. For this game, the rating is exactly what the rating box shows at the bottom of every page. There just in no interaction rating.

A monitoring I go, A monitoring I go.

See you in the Spiral

Fallon

Astrologist
Oct 22, 2011
1072
@queenlybluebean - I was one that bore the brunt of several potty-mouthed wizards yesterday. I had sent a private message to a wizard that kept using foul language, saying "Please watch your language, this is a family game". They found me, and I was surrounded. They used private chat to berate me and used more foul language.

Being confronted like that doesn't bother me. I'm an ex law enforcement officer/detective that had to deal with a lot of confrontations. I did not hit 'ignore' as I wanted to catch everything they said. I can understand how no one wants to be confronted by these foul-mouthed kids/adults, just because we're doing our part to clean up the game. Even though no one knows who is sitting behind the avatar, it's still belittling, shocking, frightening, and it's all you can do not to engage them in a continued 'conversation'.

@jennm2203 - Thank you for inviting others to assist. :) You and I, and I'm sure others, were apparently in the Commons at the same time as that Jose wizard. I did report him for foul language, as well as explicit sexual content. It seems a few were muted very quickly, because it quieted down for a short time.

@ssss55123 - It seems several of us were in the Dye Shop at the same time, as I heard the same conversation regarding open chat and saying what they want.

I do use several of my wizards to traverse the Commons, Dye Shop, Towers, and wherever else I'm need to patrol. It seems that higher level wizards are easier to pick out as "snitches", as the potty-mouthed people sometimes go looking for "snitches".

I wish we could hear from KI about what more we can do, and if we can get any backup. I never see any KI people with KI badges, which is disappointing, especially in the Wu realm Commons and Dye Shop.

Champion
Feb 29, 2012
488
Speaking as a tween, not a teenager I have to say that I'm appalled by the language that others will use. If I was that much of a potty mouth I would lose many privileges for at least a month.

For those who wonder why I have text chat it was a gift from my mother for helping her with our moving plans.

Another area we ought to watch is the Olde Town. A couple of days ago I found 3 wizards chatting. One was harassing a fourth wizard, but he disconnected before I could report him. The female in the group was the one that I had to report. She was talking about things that should not be said here AND swearing around the filter. At that point I just reported her and left because it was that bad.

A message to all open chat kids out there: Don't talk like that. It doesn't make you look cool and it can only get you in trouble. And just because someone is a female, low level whatever; does not give you an excuse to bully them.

For me, just look for a high level Storm witch or levels ten to fifteen Theurgist, Thaumaturge or Necromancer. I will put on the Wizard City Protector badge for all but my Life witch.

Scarlet Nightdreamer - Level 47 Diviner
Kestral Frostblood - Level 10 or 11 Theurgist
Alurra Unicornglade - Level 14 or 15 Thaumaturge and
Erin Jadesmith - Level 13 Necromancer

Champion
Feb 29, 2012
488
spongy458 wrote:
So I've decided to come up with some sort of order to stop bullies and such.

1. if you see somebody being mean, ask them to stop.

2. If they continue, and are only bothering you, ignore and switch realms. (this may vary: see number 3.)

3. If what they are doing is completely unacceptable, such as vulgarity, (that's a word, right?), anything suggestive, etc. report them immediatedly.

Remember, think before you report. It's a bad thing to just report every tiny thing that you see. Only do it when necessary.

As for some of the things I have realized go around the chat filter....



-Tyler Summertail


Now that there is quality advice. No one person should be the target of bullying. Best to stand united than not at all.

Survivor
Apr 11, 2011
21
While this must be all very heartbreaking for you, it's not like you didn't see it coming. For one standing in the commons? Talking seems very natural and all but your asking for trouble invite them to your house and show them your new decorating whilst talking but by all means don't talk in the commons. Asking for treasure cards or gold or whatever is asking for a fight as well. I probably would of said no If you asked me because nOthing is for free and people just aren't that nice sp they are learning not to trust people.

Whilst this whole argument where people keep rebuttling shouldnt we just be posting ideas on what kingsisle should do. No one really can do anything about your treacherous story because it's done and dusted. As for everyone else saying " there is a report button o ooo report button" you can always report but it's likely there going to get away with it. KI can't handle all the reports as for rude language can go. Also I'd they banned chatting then they probably wouldn't even get 1 million out of the 25 million just bare that in mind because they aren't going to take it away because that where all there profit comes from! The show offs who are the first to get the Kirin mount or the bone dragon mount. Yah they will probably buy 20$ crowns or however many.

If she asks you what these words mean it's better coming from your lips then a compete stranger weirdo of you deny to tell her she could look on the Internet and find and alternative meaning that could be much harsher.

Kinds regards
Fred Boomflame transcended pyromancer
Cya In the spiral!!!

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2915
darthjt wrote:
I have no idea why, but for some reason, and you can ask others that are posting, people don't back talk me.


I totally back-talk you all the time. :P LOL~ while we've had our disagreements, I'm glad there seem to be a few things we agree on. Thanks for the supportive reply... Was nice to meet you on Central, too!

spongy458 wrote:
So I've decided to come up with some sort of order to stop bullies and such.

1. if you see somebody being mean, ask them to stop.


I usually don't bother with this myself~ calling someone out just gives them an opening to redirect their abusive behaviour at you. If you're going to do this, stick with something like:

"Please watch your language, this is a family game"

(suggested by DarthJT~ this has worked for most of us so far)

spongy458 wrote:
2. If they continue, and are only bothering you, ignore and switch realms. (this may vary: see number 3.)


Out of the mouths of babes!

(that's what it's called when young kids speak words of great wisdom). ;)

spongy458 wrote:
3. If what they are doing is completely unacceptable, such as vulgarity, (that's a word, right?), anything suggestive, etc. report them immediatedly.

Remember, think before you report. It's a bad thing to just report every tiny thing that you see. Only do it when necessary.


The only things I report are profanity (swearing around filters) and extremely-suggestive language... the felony offense beginning with "r" seems to be a favourite amongst these potty-mouths, and I report anyone who uses that as well. The lesser evils (mentioned above by DarthJT), I don't really care about~ reporting those is a waste of time, since KI is already backlogged.

(and yes, vulgarity is a word... See, other kids could learn from you!)

Explorer
Jul 31, 2011
99
I am so proud of me, I did not log on to Wizards all day, LOL I needed a day to clean my brain. (No I am not a prude, just know when it is appropriate and not)

So happy to see we have a great team here who care! Platonic Friendly Virtual hugs to all of you.

To Tyler.....It is fine that we can click ignore and switch realms, but for what we ARE speaking of, that is NOT acceptable.
IF players are clearly violating the terms WE as concerned adults and we as paying members have the right and duty to report and report as often as needed until the message is clear to Wiz101/Kingsisle.

We are NOT speaking of the minor words such as crop, Azz or dam or the like, although, even THAT sometimes is a clear violation of the Terms Of service/Use.

NONE of us are reporting "every tiny thing that you see. "

Like many of us have stated, we keep reports concentrated to the "7 dirty words" FCC and also thanks to George Carlin. But also to the non-stop general sexual themed, harassment with foul language, suicide and violence, then mix in the trading and buying of accounts and account info and giving of crown generators (although those are rare ones and mostly scams, until one day I learned the kid was telling the truth) there is plenty to report about without having to worry about the little stuff.

THIS game is NO PLACE for this sort of chat, open or text, it does not matter. The biggest problem is in general people have become complacent and accepting of profanity in their daily school/social/work lives and thus have lost the ability to control themselves around children and those who would maybe rather not listen/read such filth. It is called respect, common consideration of others and self respect and self control.... these are sometimes very adult/mature virtues to uphold.

I agree and believe in freedom of speech but this is a business owned entity that set up rules and guidelines, terms of service and use that we ALL agreed to when we signed up and made our payment... we also PAY to use this service/game and we the people who CARE demand that Wiz101 and Kingsisle uphold their end of the terms as well!!! I also know that most kids already know and use these words on a daily basis, but there needs to be a lesson in self control, right and wrong and consequences for bad behavior.... I mean there has been on every site we have been members of before.

For now I am calling this an 18+ game only... IF it were that, it would be accurate and less of an issue. I now wonder what Pirate101 is going to be like since I have heard it is aimed at a slightly older crowd than E 10+.

When I want to talk dirty, I talk to my husband or chat with my bestie over a drink or two, NOT on any online games... that is just tactless and disrespectful of the children who clearly play that game.

Anyway, I may pop on over to the game now and check out the mood of the spiral, I feel optimistic.

See you all soon!

Delver
Feb 16, 2010
235
Thanks Amy your trick does indeed work. I still think reporting should be easier to do for everyone, but that works for now. Young Brynn was very busy last night.

Tyler, welcome aboard. It is fantastic to see kids involved in this and concerned as well.

Professors, we really need some guidance here. I witnessed my first instant mute last night. I'm not sure if it was my report or someone else's that got that kid, but he definitely needed an instant mute. It would be very helpful if the professors would give us some guidance as to the phrasing we should use when we make our reports. Simply reporting foul language, cursing around the filters, racial slurs, bullying, and threatened rape don't get much response. I reported explicit sexual content for that kid last night. I've heard others use the terms extreme sexual content here as well. A little help would be very useful here.

Explorer
Feb 12, 2011
97
Aritako wrote:
Thanks Amy your trick does indeed work. I still think reporting should be easier to do for everyone, but that works for now. Young Brynn was very busy last night.

Tyler, welcome aboard. It is fantastic to see kids involved in this and concerned as well.

Professors, we really need some guidance here. I witnessed my first instant mute last night. I'm not sure if it was my report or someone else's that got that kid, but he definitely needed an instant mute. It would be very helpful if the professors would give us some guidance as to the phrasing we should use when we make our reports. Simply reporting foul language, cursing around the filters, racial slurs, bullying, and threatened rape don't get much response. I reported explicit sexual content for that kid last night. I've heard others use the terms extreme sexual content here as well. A little help would be very useful here.


Glad to see it worked - and I do agree it does not make sense that you have to go through the extra step for FTP players. I am in my 30's and a Navy veteran- there are things said in this game that make ME blush, and I thought my years on board a boat with sailors had taught me creative swearing! guess not - eek.


Survivor
Sep 23, 2010
43
I was just in the dye shop wu realm and within two minutes reported racist comments, extreme sexual content and swearing. I am disappointed in the lack of concern KI seems to be showing about this problem by their failure to respond to this thread. We can do our part by reporting but it seems they have a responsibility to also monitor these problem areas. I have never seen a KI badge in the commons or the dye shop yet. Are they hoping the problem will disappear when summer is over and the kids go back to school? Meanwhile more children are playing because they are on holiday. Seems too bad they cant have a friendly and age appropriate environment to play in.
Did we ever start a group on central? I signed up this weekend but am a little lost about how the site works. My name there is Mackspeaks if anyone wants to include me on the thread. Sorry for the rant, I am just so frustrated with the way this issue is not being addressed.

Mackenzie X6

Illuminator
Feb 25, 2009
1485
A one point last night I know there were AT LEAST 5 if not more of us in the Dye shop. Along with all the swearing, sexual content, it seems that are those that still insist that since they have open chat, they have the right to say whatever they please. Even if you explain to them that having open chat in the game is a priviledge and not a right, some will say we have no right to report them for the use of this kind of language. Even referring them back to the ToU is like talking to a BRICK wall.

There were 3 girls in there last night that decided to turn against one of our group. Although, I did not catch any of the three using bad language, they were rather rude to Chase. 2 of those girls I was able to chat with and managed to get them both to see what was really happening and why we are all doing our best to make a difference. To my surprise, 1 of the girls said she was 16 and after we chatted for a while she came back and apologized to Chase for her outburst. The other one, heaven help me, said she was only 12. Some of us had bee seeing this one in the Commons and Dye shop on a fairly regular basis. Although she walked a very fine line and never crossed into the reporting zone that I have ever seen, she finally did realize that this was not only disrespectful to others but herself as well. The 16 yr old having open chat was a slight surprise, but her mother also plays. The 12 yr old having open chat was not something I wanted to see.

@Jennm2203, agreed, none of us want chat blocked. Without it, it would just be another reason to not play anymore.

The filters most definitely need to be updated. But what I would really like to see is NOT SEE the repeat offenders back in the game within a day or 2 of being muted. KI, this is where a big change also needs to be made. First time offender ok and day or 2 muted as a warning. But when it comes to some of the content we have been reporting, and seeing the same ones doing it, it really does get frustrating. Please STOP letting the repeaters come back with a different wizard from the same account or creating free accounts. From some of the comments that have been made, most of these players no longer come to the game to quest, garden, and pet train. They come just for social purposes. Those people need to find other options for their CHAT ROOMS, and not this game.

@Jackand Turbo, no there has not been a group started on Central yet. We need someone that has the time and meets all the requirements Per Central's site rules to do this. Even though some of us here do qualify, we also have children in the home or have full time jobs that prevents us from being as attentive to the forum as we need to be. There would have to be others to help maintain it as well. I would not be just a 1 person responsibility. But we do still want to move forward with this. I have sent a pm to a couple of the administrators on this subject as well and have not received a reply yet. Until then we will need to wait.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
2081
What really Irks me, that I just can't stand, is when people state:

Everyone curses and it's part of life. If you dont want to see it, or your kids to see it, don't have text chat or open chat.

To me, this is like saying, let's punish everyone that is being good and reward the evil wicked wizards!

Oh no, not in my book. For anyone that says this, have you ever even tried to do everything with menu chat? It's not that easy.

Why would you reward people that abuse something and take it away from others, when you can stand up and make a statement that this kind of behavior will NOT be Tolerated.

To me, cursing is a sign of Ignorance, people do it, because they can't think of anything intelligent to say.

It makes me proud to see so many in the community taking a stand on this issue, because as long as our numbers are growing and KI is doing their part and muting and putting restrictions on those that are reported, their numbers will be decreasing.

Maybe after sufficient punishments have been given out, especially to those repeat offenders, people will start to get the hint that this type of behavior and talk is not accepted in this game or our community.

I applaud all those that are joining this fight and hope that everyone will spread the word.

To KI or Professor Greyrose, any word, response, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Survivor
Nov 06, 2008
15
I couldn't agree more, the best I do is ignore and report those nasty people.

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
291
darthjt,

Move over, I'm joining you on your soapbox. lol

I was raised to believe that cursing was a sign of lack of the command of the English language and lack of intelligence. That's been a LONG time ago too.

Goldendragon, I'm happy to see that you could get a couple of those girls to understand that what they were doing was wrong. Makes me think there is hope yet!


Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2915
darthjt wrote:
What really Irks me, that I just can't stand, is when people state:

Everyone curses and it's part of life. If you dont want to see it, or your kids to see it, don't have text chat or open chat.

To me, this is like saying, let's punish everyone that is being good and reward the evil wicked wizards... Cursing is a sign of Ignorance, people do it, because they can't think of anything intelligent to say.


You took the words right out of my mouth, JT. In my opinion, cursing is a sign of laziness, someone who is lacking in education and hasn't learned how to express themselves in a respectful manner.

Of course, I won't lie and say I've never dropped an F-bomb~ I can talk like a trucker with the best of 'em, but I have the decency to censor myself when needed. If I wouldn't say it in front of my 2-year-old nephew, who repeats everything he hears, I won't say it in-game.

darthjt wrote:
It makes me proud to see so many in the community taking a stand on this issue, because as long as our numbers are growing and KI is doing their part and muting and putting restrictions on those that are reported, their numbers will be decreasing.

Maybe after sufficient punishments have been given out, especially to those repeat offenders, people will start to get the hint that this type of behavior and talk is not accepted in this game or our community.

I applaud all those that are joining this fight and hope that everyone will spread the word.

To KI or Professor Greyrose, any word, response, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.


Agreed, on all counts.

I'm glad that we have such a wide variety of people in this group~ concerned parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, teachers, older siblings... Even better is the fact that kids and tweens/teens themselves are joining our ranks; that tells me that it's not just adults who are fed up with this behaviour.

(I sincerely hope that KI will back us up in our initiative to clean up the Spiral. Right now, it feels like we're working for free)

To all who have taken up this cause, hats off to you!

-El Veeb

Champion
Feb 29, 2012
488
I was patrolling the Commons on Wu last night and I have to say: wow. Just... ugh.

Champion
Feb 29, 2012
488
Continuing from my previous post in this one.

Oh my goodness! My fingers were fed up. And to that Fallon Winterleaf out there, I'm sorry the wizards were teasing you. I tried to ge tthem to stop and reported several while doing so.

And to the Wolf Wildwraith I must admit. It had to take some guts to talk to people who just won't listen to common sense.

And just to vent - I saw one girl in the Dye Shop talking normally, but as soon as the others started cussing she started as well. I felt a tiny bit bad reporting her, but it was needed.

For all those out there, I'm Scarlet Nightdreamer a level 47 Diviner with either the Wizard City Protector badge or the Hero of Unicorrn Way badge.
She might be wearing starter robes or regular ones, but she changes often to avoid detection.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
711
jackandturbo wrote:
I was just in the dye shop wu realm and within two minutes reported racist comments, extreme sexual content and swearing. I am disappointed in the lack of concern KI seems to be showing about this problem by their failure to respond to this thread. We can do our part by reporting but it seems they have a responsibility to also monitor these problem areas. I have never seen a KI badge in the commons or the dye shop yet. Are they hoping the problem will disappear when summer is over and the kids go back to school? Meanwhile more children are playing because they are on holiday. Seems too bad they cant have a friendly and age appropriate environment to play in.
Did we ever start a group on central? I signed up this weekend but am a little lost about how the site works. My name there is Mackspeaks if anyone wants to include me on the thread. Sorry for the rant, I am just so frustrated with the way this issue is not being addressed.

Mackenzie X6


Mackenzie, I found you :)

Cya in the Spiral,

Iridian ShadowWeaver, et. al

Armiger
May 10, 2010
2081
ionya wrote:
Continuing from my previous post in this one.

Oh my goodness! My fingers were fed up. And to that Fallon Winterleaf out there, I'm sorry the wizards were teasing you. I tried to ge tthem to stop and reported several while doing so.

And to the Wolf Wildwraith I must admit. It had to take some guts to talk to people who just won't listen to common sense.

And just to vent - I saw one girl in the Dye Shop talking normally, but as soon as the others started cussing she started as well. I felt a tiny bit bad reporting her, but it was needed.

For all those out there, I'm Scarlet Nightdreamer a level 47 Diviner with either the Wizard City Protector badge or the Hero of Unicorrn Way badge.
She might be wearing starter robes or regular ones, but she changes often to avoid detection.


Welcome and thank you for Joining our ranks.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
711
ionya wrote:
For all those out there, I'm Scarlet Nightdreamer a level 47 Diviner with either the Wizard City Protector badge or the Hero of Unicorrn Way badge. She might be wearing starter robes or regular ones, but she changes often to avoid detection.


@Ionya,

Thank you for supporting the effort to clean up the Spiral. It is wonderful to meet a new comrade :) Please look for us on Central.

Qbb/Iridian ShadowWeaver, WC Protector

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
1359
goldendragon18 wrote:
vonawesome1 wrote:
Someone a few posts up made a comment about game rating vs. interaction rating~ I forget who it was, but I totally agree that something needs to be done about that as well.

Keep up the great work, everyone!

-El Veeb


That was me. I found that by doing a little research under the "Parents" tab to the left and then ESRB ratings. You can do a search for Wizard101 after you get into those ratings. For this game, the rating is exactly what the rating box shows at the bottom of every page. There just in no interaction rating.

A monitoring I go, A monitoring I go.

See you in the Spiral

Fallon

Goldendragon!!! x_x I think I found you in wu realm, at the wizard city dye shop, and "Fallon Winterleaf" is in a corner right now... ._. Just curious, was that you by any chance? (I was nicholas rubyshard. Going to send you a friend request right now, although odds are you are going to deny it :P)

Illuminator
Feb 25, 2009
1485
Ronster55 wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:
vonawesome1 wrote:
Someone a few posts up made a comment about game rating vs. interaction rating~ I forget who it was, but I totally agree that something needs to be done about that as well.

Keep up the great work, everyone!

-El Veeb


That was me. I found that by doing a little research under the "Parents" tab to the left and then ESRB ratings. You can do a search for Wizard101 after you get into those ratings. For this game, the rating is exactly what the rating box shows at the bottom of every page. There just in no interaction rating.

A monitoring I go, A monitoring I go.

See you in the Spiral

Fallon

Goldendragon!!! x_x I think I found you in wu realm, at the wizard city dye shop, and "Fallon Winterleaf" is in a corner right now... ._. Just curious, was that you by any chance? (I was nicholas rubyshard. Going to send you a friend request right now, although odds are you are going to deny it :P)


Lol, as you already know that was me.

Thank you for joining us here and on Central.

Fallon WinterLeaf a "Wizard City Protector"

Survivor
Jun 12, 2010
20
Well i am a kid, and i want to say that not only kids are bullyed. My mom used to post here all the time and liked to write stuff until someone called her names and made her cry. and she hardly never cries. so people should be nicer in forums and in games. because bullys are not only in the game. I am sad because now she wont play anymore and we used to have fun. but she said that this mean stuff just made her not like the game. Some people here probably know who she was, and she was a nice player. So be nice here, not just in the game. :) Cause you can hurt peoples feelings a lot if you call them names and are mean, and they dont deserve that because they have feelings and people who care about them too. So be nice please when people write stuff you dont agree about.

Champion
Feb 29, 2012
488
No problem. I believe that my brother needs a playable environment and those players will ruin it for him.

(This is one of the few things we agree on, so I want him to enjoy it as much as possible.)