Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Rudeness/Attitudes of Players...

AuthorMessage
Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2915
@ionya~ strange, how some people aren't happy unless they're making someone else feel bad (or so they think, LOL). While out on patrol once, I got made fun of for my less-than-amazing PvP rating... but I just laughed and said that I haven't PvPed in 30 levels.

I also had a kid tell me that, "I bet you were bullied in school". He wasn't wrong~ I totally was; but, if I can keep other kids and teens from having to relive what I went through, you bet your bootstraps I'll try.

@azont~ I agree with you, since my teen years weren't that long ago and there are a few young players involved with the WCPs as well. There are kids and teens out there with good hearts and manners, who are polite and fun to share space with; as with any group, of course, the obnoxious ones kill it for the rest. I'm glad that you and your friend stepped up to the plate~ you guys are awesome, so keep up the good work!

I also saw a couple of posts last week from people with depression or stress-related conditions. This is a big deal, people~ just because we can't see the person behind the pixels, or know what s/he is going through, doesn't invalidate his or her feelings. This needs to be a safe place for EVERYONE~ no exceptions.

Happy and safe travels,

Laura/El Veeb
a WC Protector

Delver
Feb 16, 2010
235
azont wrote:
[I'm glad I read your post, because as a teen myself I have noticed a lot of stereotyping. Which I understand, because the majority of the foul behavior is probably caused by teens. But it does make you feel a little unwelcome when your age group is known as the foul mouthed ones. However I have realized that I'm probably being a little sensitive. The main goal here is to clean up Wizard City, and that is what I should be focusing on.

I guess I never actually paid attention to what those around me were saying until I found out about the WC protectors. I realized that whether or not I had joined the group, as a Wizard, it was my job to help keep WC safe and happy. So when I saw a Wzard saying things he shouldnt be saying, I realized that this was my chance. My chance to help.

I had created a new character simply for the fun of it. My little wizard was fighting Haunted Minions in Trition Avenue when two boys joined the battle. One of the boys was a friend of mine, the other was some random guy. My friend told me about a date he was going on later with his friend, that was a girl. Then the random guy proceeded to ask if my friends girl did certain things that should not be repeated. I was disgusted and apparently my friend was too. I thought I was going to be alone while I repeated the rules, however, I was not. As I told the random guy how he shouldnt speak like that, my friend pointed out how kids could see that and the risk of being banned or muted. The random guy apologized and said he wouldnt do that ever again.

It makes me feel good to know that there is still some people out there that can recognize right from wrong, my friend being one of them. And he too, is a teen. (:


You did a great job, congratulations on a successful re-education. And thank you very much for your assistance. While you are correct that teens often get the rap for this type of behavior, there are indeed many adults that use that type of language in game and in their everyday lives. No one ever meant to imply that this is something all teens do.

I think if you asked most of the Wizard City Protectors, you would find that we believe that this type of behavior and lanquage is actually limited to a very small minority of the overall game population, and indeed only a small portion of the teen population. Most of the Spiral is a clean and happy place. The problem areas however can be quite intense and we just don't need to see that spreading through out the game. Kids helping other kids learn that it isn't cool to do that is a most awesome thing.

Illuminator
Feb 25, 2009
1485
Aritako wrote:
azont wrote:
[I'm glad I read your post, because as a teen myself I have noticed a lot of stereotyping. Which I understand, because the majority of the foul behavior is probably caused by teens. But it does make you feel a little unwelcome when your age group is known as the foul mouthed ones. However I have realized that I'm probably being a little sensitive. The main goal here is to clean up Wizard City, and that is what I should be focusing on.

I guess I never actually paid attention to what those around me were saying until I found out about the WC protectors. I realized that whether or not I had joined the group, as a Wizard, it was my job to help keep WC safe and happy. So when I saw a Wzard saying things he shouldnt be saying, I realized that this was my chance. My chance to help.

I had created a new character simply for the fun of it. My little wizard was fighting Haunted Minions in Trition Avenue when two boys joined the battle. One of the boys was a friend of mine, the other was some random guy. My friend told me about a date he was going on later with his friend, that was a girl. Then the random guy proceeded to ask if my friends girl did certain things that should not be repeated. I was disgusted and apparently my friend was too. I thought I was going to be alone while I repeated the rules, however, I was not. As I told the random guy how he shouldnt speak like that, my friend pointed out how kids could see that and the risk of being banned or muted. The random guy apologized and said he wouldnt do that ever again.

It makes me feel good to know that there is still some people out there that can recognize right from wrong, my friend being one of them. And he too, is a teen. (:


You did a great job, congratulations on a successful re-education. And thank you very much for your assistance. While you are correct that teens often get the rap for this type of behavior, there are indeed many adults that use that type of language in game and in their everyday lives. No one ever meant to imply that this is something all teens do.

I think if you asked most of the Wizard City Protectors, you would find that we believe that this type of behavior and lanquage is actually limited to a very small minority of the overall game population, and indeed only a small portion of the teen population. Most of the Spiral is a clean and happy place. The problem areas however can be quite intense and we just don't need to see that spreading through out the game. Kids helping other kids learn that it isn't cool to do that is a most awesome thing.


Aritako and Vonawesome, Thank you both for addressing this issue. As you both know and many others, this kind of behavior does not come from all teens. In fact it is usually only a very few, and there are adults that are doing the same thing. SHAME ON YOU.

Unfortunately, these offenders persist in repeating their offense and go so far as to make several free accounts to do so. When one account gets muted or banned they just move to the next one. In some cases we have even seen them brag about having main accounts that are banned.

It baffles me why they continue this kind of behavior when they now know there is a large part of the community that is watching and reporting more and more everyday. Not everyone belongs to any group that has formed to help clean up but many do support our efforts.

It does not matter what badge they wear, but if they are wearing the Wizard City Protector badge to make themselves look like they belong to our group, that does not make them or anyone else immune to being reported. I would report a group member for using foul language just as fast as anyone else. The rules APPLY TO EVERYONE that plays this game.

As an adult and grand mother, I can tell you that this kind of language is not appropriate in a lot of places outside of this game. But using it here is just beyond comprehension. My kids and grand kids have always been taught that you don't need to use it even when angry. There are better ways to communicate with others and will give a lot better results.

Fallon WinterLeaf a WC Protector

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
2638
ionya wrote:
What isn't fun is getting laughed at for not having a pet talent. It's not my fault that my pet can't get Spritely. (She is a Midnight Sprite, got her from Lord Nightshade. Keep her with me. She is now an Ancient.)

Ugh.


Don't worry young wizard they were just jealous. That sprite is one of my favorite pets.

No one gets teased around me I wear the "Peacemaker" badge and mean it.

Defender
Jul 23, 2011
117
I just want to say that, compared to alot of other online games, Wizard 101 has done exceptionally well with their filters. I can't stand, and immediately report profanities of any sort directed at anyone if i can see the name of the player that threw out the bad words. However, I have had to ban my son from some online games because you don't even have to be creative to curse. You just type whatever you want until you get reported, which may be never. Also, the commons is the last place any Archmage should be hanging out. That's like Bill Gates shopping at Wal-Mart. Go to less crowded Realms and help lower level wizards if you want, but don't expect to find mature, intelligent conversation in the commons.

Explorer
Jul 16, 2009
86
'm glad I read your post, because as a teen myself I have noticed a lot of stereotyping. Which I understand, because the majority of the foul behavior is probably caused by teens. But it does make you feel a little unwelcome when your age group is known as the foul mouthed ones. However I have realized that I'm probably being a little sensitive. The main goal here is to clean up Wizard City, and that is what I should be focusing on.

I guess I never actually paid attention to what those around me were saying until I found out about the WC protectors. I realized that whether or not I had joined the group, as a Wizard, it was my job to help keep WC safe and happy. So when I saw a Wzard saying things he shouldnt be saying, I realized that this was my chance. My chance to help.

I had created a new character simply for the fun of it. My little wizard was fighting Haunted Minions in Trition Avenue when two boys joined the battle. One of the boys was a friend of mine, the other was some random guy. My friend told me about a date he was going on later with his friend, that was a girl. Then the random guy proceeded to ask if my friends girl did certain things that should not be repeated. I was disgusted and apparently my friend was too. I thought I was going to be alone while I repeated the rules, however, I was not. As I told the random guy how he shouldnt speak like that, my friend pointed out how kids could see that and the risk of being banned or muted. The random guy apologized and said he wouldnt do that ever again.

It makes me feel good to know that there is still some people out there that can recognize right from wrong, my friend being one of them. And he too, is a teen. (:
Please excuse me for editing on your post for content-..., but I personally think it does teens a dis-service to think that they are all bad and wicked, or talk bad/foul.
Indeed, I think there are more people who pretend to be teens and pretend to be pre-teens while being adults than the majority assumes,( I, myself, have a menu chat wizard account that I love to play, because when I'm on my menu chat wizard... I can't read any words that aren't in menu chat.) .
I'm glad that you could have conversations with your friends and your friend's friends, but, I'd so wish that you, ( all of us...) consider that roughness and rudeness, is not an age issue.
It is a wizard issue.
You did the right thing. Being kind, having a conversation... It worked out for you. :D
To me, though, the real problem is the way people of all ages treat each other.
The older, jaded, wizards, the younger sassy wizards, the slightly bemused wizards... it's really all about how we treat one another.
Good for you for getting your friends to be nice and kindly towards you!
Now, if we could only have 5 million players that are kindly people...

Being kind starts from the bottom up.
Thank you for setting an example. :)

Explorer
Jul 16, 2009
86
While we are having this conversation about people being awfully rude to the OP's little peoples, I'd like to add, that 90% of the time, while playing this game I, and my family, have never encountered this behaviour, to a very bad degree.
Never.
I've been playing the game for quite some time.
We have had a few incidents...
Few. Very few.
Compared to the hours we have played.... unremarkable, in fact.
According to game statistics and percentages for it happening.
A few sassy comments, a few conversations that could have been discussed amongst friends..., but the majority of all interactions and all meetings have been unremarkable for foul language and unkindness amongst players.
That's one of the reasons why I like this game.
Most people are not rude.
They aren't nasty. They don't behave badly, and while I'm quite sorry the OP had a bad experience, I think this is a very myopic perspective in regard to the game, in general, as a whole.
I'm sorry it took me 10 pages to say it.

It is the cleanest, politest, most interesting, (to me,) fun, game around for families to play together..
Most people are not rude.
They do not talk that way.
I apologize to the OP for those that have.
90% of players do not act that way.

Survivor
Apr 11, 2011
21
UPDATE REPORT-

Work appears to be paying off! Congrats to all! I have only seen a couple of candy bars in a fruit shop so good job! (LOL?!?)

Um um um ... Thats it I think o.O

Fred Boomflame!

Survivor
Apr 02, 2010
30
There certainly has been a LOT of discussion on this topic and I felt compelled to add my own comments.

Things I have noticed is that for the most part, the majority of players in this game are polite and helpful and very respectful.

It is the few that "hang out" in various common areas with no intention of actually playing the game, that makes it so difficult for us to actually believe how "safe" the spiral actually is. As in the real world, there's always a sour grape in the bunch.

As players, K.I. has provided us with the REPORT tool and rules that go along with its use. With a player base of over 25 million, it would be extremely difficult for K.I. to hire the appropriate staff to watch all chats that go on.

As a Wizard City Community, we should ALL be diligent and report those who violate the terms of use as we see them. It is then up to K.I. to review those chat logs and impose sanctions as they see fit.

As a community, some of us have joined that group on Central. Itis not a posse, just a group of those of us who are concerned for the safety of the game. A place we can share our stories and experiences and ask others for feedback when in doubt on what could or could not constitute a reportable offense. Others in the group have taken it upon themselves to conduct research and post their results in that group page, which I think is wonderful.
But to clarify, you certainly don't need to be a part of that group to report people or wear the badge - it's just another central location for us to be able to access to share valuable information and team up with those who don't like to report alone.

K.I. really does need to update their filters, as people have gotten very creative at bypassing the filters. Sure, its an inconvenience to us that some common words are banned, because they could be used as a means to bypass filters and create "new" meanings.

I would propose that K.I. consider reducing or eliminating the availability of open or filtered chat to those in the Free to Play arena, and only give it when people make a purchase, either with crowns or a subscription, and then have the availability to turn the chat on. I think this would greatly reduce the number of players who are in the game for the sole purpose of loitering in common areas and nothing more (other than to belittle, bully, or something worse to others).

Destiny/Destiny SpiritGiver
Archmage Necromancer, Theurgist and Sorcerer

Astrologist
Oct 22, 2011
1072
borders412 wrote:
While we are having this conversation about people being awfully rude to the OP's little peoples, I'd like to add, that 90% of the time, while playing this game I, and my family, have never encountered this behaviour, to a very bad degree.
Never.
I've been playing the game for quite some time.
We have had a few incidents...
Few. Very few.
Compared to the hours we have played.... unremarkable, in fact.
According to game statistics and percentages for it happening.
A few sassy comments, a few conversations that could have been discussed amongst friends..., but the majority of all interactions and all meetings have been unremarkable for foul language and unkindness amongst players.
That's one of the reasons why I like this game.
Most people are not rude.
They aren't nasty. They don't behave badly, and while I'm quite sorry the OP had a bad experience, I think this is a very myopic perspective in regard to the game, in general, as a whole.
I'm sorry it took me 10 pages to say it.

It is the cleanest, politest, most interesting, (to me,) fun, game around for families to play together..
Most people are not rude.
They do not talk that way.
I apologize to the OP for those that have.
90% of players do not act that way.


Majority of the people are great and have a great time with the game. I've certainly met a lot of them. Unfortunately, there are a small percentage of wizards that think using foul language, harassment, threats, bullying, inappropriate innuendos, etc, is cool and acceptable, and think they are above the Terms of Use. Most of this behavior happens in the Wu realm. It seems to be the hangout place for bad behavior.

For all you nice wizards, please avoid the Wu realm at all costs. Trust me, you don't want to experience the horrible, disgusting things that go on there.

The Wizard City Protectors are trying their best to help clean up Wu realm, as well as any other realm, where inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated. We want his game to be safe and clean for all players, young and old.

Champion
Feb 29, 2012
488
brwac wrote:
ionya wrote:
What isn't fun is getting laughed at for not having a pet talent. It's not my fault that my pet can't get Spritely. (She is a Midnight Sprite, got her from Lord Nightshade. Keep her with me. She is now an Ancient.)

Ugh.


Don't worry young wizard they were just jealous. That sprite is one of my favorite pets.

No one gets teased around me I wear the "Peacemaker" badge and mean it.


No worries, I will always keep her with me. She is my favorite pet and probably will be until I get my Kraken. (Most likely even then since she was the first pet that gave me a card.)

Illuminator
Feb 25, 2009
1485
tweety469 wrote:
K.I. really does need to update their filters, as people have gotten very creative at bypassing the filters. Sure, its an inconvenience to us that some common words are banned, because they could be used as a means to bypass filters and create "new" meanings.

I would propose that K.I. consider reducing or eliminating the availability of open or filtered chat to those in the Free to Play arena, and only give it when people make a purchase, either with crowns or a subscription, and then have the availability to turn the chat on. I think this would greatly reduce the number of players who are in the game for the sole purpose of loitering in common areas and nothing more (other than to belittle, bully, or something worse to others).Destiny/Destiny SpiritGiver
Archmage Necromancer, Theurgist and Sorcerer


Tweety, I think you are right about this. Eliminating open and filtered to the F2P would reduce a lot of what we are seeing in foul language.

I know this would pose a problem for some of the older players checking the game out, but the way I see it, is that if they are that interested in the game, it will not matter. If they like the game, they are going to purchase with crowns or an actual sub. Not being able to chat is only a minor inconvenience. But this also reduces the number of players using the game as you already mentioned for the soul purpose of turning it into a social chat room.

I also think it would be something KI could probably put into place fairly quickly allowing them the time to put a better filter system in place. I would also suggest that eliminating the options for open and filtered be applied to all current Free 2 Play players. Even those of us that use a F2P for trading TCs have no need to chat on those accounts.

Fallon WinterLeaf

Explorer
Jul 31, 2011
99
Gotta Rant guys, sorry.

I am at the point I too believe that F2P should not be allowed to have open chat. BUT I also now think there needs to be a level limit as well...... Maybe under 10-12 stays on menu chat, F2P also only Menu chat.

Case in point, dye shop this evening, a wizard (forget his name) a level 1, walks in and just about every single sentence he entered into chat has a version or 3 of the F word. Talking about people with the guardian gear or wannabes and people with crowns gear are wanna be losers, etc but F everywhere. He then explains his other big wizard just got muted, will be back on in a few hours.

I am absolutely sick and tired of these people who clearly want to break the rules, people who clearly do not care and have no respect... who REALLY do not deserve to play Wizard101 anyway, just get muted and turn around and start a new wizard just so they can spout their never ending profanity, vulgar language and inappropriate activity all over the place. THIS is a slap in the face to Wizard101 and Kingsisle and I think it is time they put their foot down and fix/update the filters and block muted accounts from creating any new wizards PERIOD.

Even my 14 year old is fed up, she thinks it is crazy how these people just do not care and laugh at us, balk at the rules and really feel they have the RIGHT to say whatever they want.... Even my child knows better than that.

Grrr please KI/W101 help us help you and fix/update the filters and get some kind of block thing going on these muted accounts. They do not care and they are not learning their lessons.

Rant over..... :/

Champion
Feb 29, 2012
488
jennm2203 wrote:
Gotta Rant guys, sorry.

I am at the point I too believe that F2P should not be allowed to have open chat. BUT I also now think there needs to be a level limit as well...... Maybe under 10-12 stays on menu chat, F2P also only Menu chat.

Case in point, dye shop this evening, a wizard (forget his name) a level 1, walks in and just about every single sentence he entered into chat has a version or 3 of the F word. Talking about people with the guardian gear or wannabes and people with crowns gear are wanna be losers, etc but F everywhere. He then explains his other big wizard just got muted, will be back on in a few hours.

I am absolutely sick and tired of these people who clearly want to break the rules, people who clearly do not care and have no respect... who REALLY do not deserve to play Wizard101 anyway, just get muted and turn around and start a new wizard just so they can spout their never ending profanity, vulgar language and inappropriate activity all over the place. THIS is a slap in the face to Wizard101 and Kingsisle and I think it is time they put their foot down and fix/update the filters and block muted accounts from creating any new wizards PERIOD.

Even my 14 year old is fed up, she thinks it is crazy how these people just do not care and laugh at us, balk at the rules and really feel they have the RIGHT to say whatever they want.... Even my child knows better than that.

Grrr please KI/W101 help us help you and fix/update the filters and get some kind of block thing going on these muted accounts. They do not care and they are not learning their lessons.

Rant over..... :/


I saw that level one and quite frankly reported him a few times. There are no problems that can't be solved though. Let's hope for an IP block sometime soon.

Astrologist
Oct 22, 2011
1072
jennm2203 wrote:
Gotta Rant guys, sorry.

I am at the point I too believe that F2P should not be allowed to have open chat. BUT I also now think there needs to be a level limit as well...... Maybe under 10-12 stays on menu chat, F2P also only Menu chat.

Case in point, dye shop this evening, a wizard (forget his name) a level 1, walks in and just about every single sentence he entered into chat has a version or 3 of the F word. Talking about people with the guardian gear or wannabes and people with crowns gear are wanna be losers, etc but F everywhere. He then explains his other big wizard just got muted, will be back on in a few hours.

I am absolutely sick and tired of these people who clearly want to break the rules, people who clearly do not care and have no respect... who REALLY do not deserve to play Wizard101 anyway, just get muted and turn around and start a new wizard just so they can spout their never ending profanity, vulgar language and inappropriate activity all over the place. THIS is a slap in the face to Wizard101 and Kingsisle and I think it is time they put their foot down and fix/update the filters and block muted accounts from creating any new wizards PERIOD.

Even my 14 year old is fed up, she thinks it is crazy how these people just do not care and laugh at us, balk at the rules and really feel they have the RIGHT to say whatever they want.... Even my child knows better than that.

Grrr please KI/W101 help us help you and fix/update the filters and get some kind of block thing going on these muted accounts. They do not care and they are not learning their lessons.

Rant over..... :/


I agree that F2P (free-to-play) wizards should have Menu chat, and also impose a level limit to be able to get Text and/or Open chat (for paying members).

I've certainly experienced the disgusting behavior. I was in the Commons late at night, two nights ago, there was a group of wizards that would not stop their behavior. I'm talking about extreme profanity, explicit description of certain 'acts', gender obscenities, and horrible racist words & comments.

These wizard accounts should be banned. Period. Their IP blocked from ever obtaining another account. I don't have any idea if these were children or adults, and I don't care. Such behavior is inexcusable. All I could do was report, and report, and report.

It is the acts of a few bad wizards that ruin the game for everyone else. The funny thing is, these foul-mouthed wizards blame the ones reporting them, not themselves. They deny everything, claiming they did nothing wrong, or state "we have open chat, we can say whatever we want", or try to impose "freedom of speech".

WRONG! KI has a Terms of Use in place to protect not only themselves, but everyone in the game. You break the rules, you pay the consequences. If we report you, don't blame us, blame yourself. If you keep breaking the rules, you will be report again, and again until you get the message, get muted, or have your account suspended.

Many of us are tired of the bad behavior, and are willing to help protect the Spiral from evil-doers, to keep this game safe for all adults and children who play.

Champion
Feb 29, 2012
488
On the up side, I think we're making a difference.

And as a side note: I now have a pet that could get Spritely. :D

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
345
I think we need to clarify what we mean by free to play. I have a friend who is a Crowns Player. She gets very nervous when she reads these ideas. She is considered free to play despite have purchased the whole game. She buys Crowns monthly. These are not people I mean when I say free to play. I mean people using the Trial Period who have not spent one dime on the game or people who buy enough Crowns for Open Chat then nothing else.

Perhaps active Crowns Players need another designation.

Megan


Survivor
Sep 23, 2010
43
For those of us following this thread i suggest you look in the section called The Dorms and see a post by darthjt suggesting a fee to be applied to the credit card on the account for muting. I am sure the parents have no idea what their kids are up to in the spiral.

Illuminator
Feb 25, 2009
1485
@Que, myself and some of the others we both know have also experienced some of this very explicit vulgarity in the game and many times it is "WHISPERED" to us. Although we know that some of the foul language is coming from SOME not all of younger players, I suspect this particular type of language is coming from some of the adults that play this game. In my opinion, some of the things being said, NO child should have any inclination as to what they are talking about. I would very much like to see IP bans on these players and their accounts being flagged so that they would NEVER be able to make another account on any IP address.

@Megan, it seems that to some degree, many of us do agree that F2P accounts should be limited to MENU CHAT only. But I also have to agree that Crowns players should have the same options as those that have subs. Just because they use crowns to purchase the game, they are still spending real money for those accounts. A crowns player that abuses the system is just as much subject to any sanctions as a sub account. Crowns players are after all, paying to play as well and I don't have a problem with this. Some of my friends are Crowns players as well and don't abuse the game or other players.

@JackandTurbo, yes, this is something he has been talking about for a few days now. I still have not made up my mind on this idea and therefore have not posted to it.

As you have stated and I have said before, I do think that a lot of parents are not getting the emails from KI due to the fact they have given their kids access to the email for the master account. In my opinion, if this is what has happened, then they have made a big mistake. Those young players that are using foul language are making sure the parent never sees those emails and just plays it off as not wanting to get in the game for a day or so until the mute is lifted.

At this point, the only thing I can think of would be for KI to put a block in place until the Master Account holder tried to log in. At this point, they would have to contact KI to find out why the block was done and hopefully take steps to prevent their kids from being able to abuse the ToU and change all passwords.

Survivor
May 21, 2012
23
mom2mykidzcrcj wrote:
I think we need to clarify what we mean by free to play. I have a friend who is a Crowns Player. She gets very nervous when she reads these ideas. She is considered free to play despite have purchased the whole game. She buys Crowns monthly. These are not people I mean when I say free to play. I mean people using the Trial Period who have not spent one dime on the game or people who buy enough Crowns for Open Chat then nothing else.

Perhaps active Crowns Players need another designation.

Megan



When we are saying "Free to Play" what we are meaning are the ones that have no subscription nor have purchased an area using crowns, so as a crowns player she would be just fine.

See what they are doing is when their characters are getting muted, either by instant or after the chat logs are reviewed, they make a new account, and coming right back with a very low level, some even lvl 1 characters, with open chat, and continuing the profanity.

A completely free player will never leave Wizard City, and only has 3 areas to go into for battles. So not having open chat shouldn't be an issue, the free areas are plenty of time to see if they like the game and either get a sub or buy the areas using crowns, then have the option of getting open chat.

Losing an account that has purchased an area or a sub through their own inability to control themselves and follow simple, common sense rules may be the thing that will get through to them and other players who think they can break those rules and use this game as an adult chat room.

Astrologist
Oct 22, 2011
1072
mom2mykidzcrcj wrote:
I think we need to clarify what we mean by free to play. I have a friend who is a Crowns Player. She gets very nervous when she reads these ideas. She is considered free to play despite have purchased the whole game. She buys Crowns monthly. These are not people I mean when I say free to play. I mean people using the Trial Period who have not spent one dime on the game or people who buy enough Crowns for Open Chat then nothing else.

Perhaps active Crowns Players need another designation.

Megan



I apologize. I'll clarify a little better what we're trying to do.

What we're talking about, in terms of F2P, is when a wizard plays the areas of Wizard City that are free.

Once you decide you wish to play the other areas, Crowns or a Membership gives you access to the rest of the game.

What we would like to see, is the F2P have Menu chat only. When you use Crowns to access other areas of the game, we would like to see a certain level obtained (say, 10-15), before Text or Open chat become available. The same would be said for Memberships, they would need to obtain a certain level (10-15) as well, to have access to Text or Open chat.

This is not something that's definite. This is just an idea some of us players came up with. We certainly would not like restrictions in any way, however, there are those people that abuse the chat horribly, and most of those are level 10 or less, and if muted, can (currently) create another wizard and start their bad behavior all over again within minutes (and they do).

By putting level restrictions on access to Text or Open chat, a wizard that has been muted would have to level up their new wizard to a certain level to obtain access to Text or Open chat again. The question would be, is it worth it to a naughty wizard to level up again and again just to hang out in the game and chat with their friends?


Survivor
May 24, 2009
5
I am so very sorry it has happened to you but I have spent time teaching my child what to do in these cases. This is cyber bullying. This is going to happen. We need to teach our children skills to be safe. We will not always be their to protect them. I wish we could.
Wow! I have had this happen to my son before but I have chatted very politely to the people and they stopped. I explained his age and I was his mom. Could they private chat or tame it down. I stated I was sorry for the inconvience but we still had an hour to play.
These are the five things I have taught my child.
1. Unconfortable - Ask them to stop at once firmly
2. If they get personal-refrain from making any statements.
3. Report them immediately.
4. Log out of the game
5. Tell an adult.

As an Adult, we need to protect our children so write to the Game immediately. If it is a bully, it needs to be addressed ASAP because bullies do not stop. If it is just a bunch of show offs they will usually stop. If it becomes sexual based the company needs to know so that they can ban that person.

Illuminator
Feb 25, 2009
1485
TL4ever wrote:


As an Adult, we need to protect our children so write to the Game immediately. If it is a bully, it needs to be addressed ASAP because bullies do not stop. If it is just a bunch of show offs they will usually stop. If it becomes sexual based the company needs to know so that they can ban that person.


This is why some members have joined together to try to clean these problems up. Many of us are adults with younger family members that do or did play until it got so bad it was best to keep them out of the game. We do have some teens that have joined in this effort as well and we take great care in keeping them protected as well from as much of the extreme abuse that is happening. We do not want them to openly confront any of these offenders. I have 2 young family members that currently do not play and this is just one of those reasons.

We are reporting bullying, sexual content and foul language. Unfortunately, some of us have experienced repeated attacks from some of these offenders that has been extremely explicit and graphically discribed to us in "Whisper".

As for the show offs, unfortunately, those are usually these same players. They don't stop until sanctions are set high enough to prevent them from returning on another wizard possibly from the same account or they create Free 2 Play accounts as fast as one gets muted.

If you will visit the Dorms section, you will see 2 topics suggesting ideas to KI to help reduce this problem and hopefully eleminate it altogether. One topic refers to a fee to get a wizard un-mute and the other refers to making changes in the chat options of F2P accounts.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
345
Thanks to all who responded to my request for clarification on F2P. I keep telling my friend we don't mean Crowns Players. She keeps saying we are considered F2P by KI.

I am on board for the changes. I have said for quite a while chat should be purchased. IMO it is a privilege not a right in game.

I also think ruler breaker should be reported and punished. None of us are above the rules or TOU.

Thanks to you all for helping clean up the Spiral.

Megan

Explorer
Jun 16, 2012
56
I agree. But thanks to the WCP (Wizard City Protector's) they patrol The wu commons, and Dye shop. :)