Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Rudeness/Attitudes of Players...

AuthorMessage
Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2926
XxCandyClanCanxX wrote:
I agree. But thanks to the WCP (Wizard City Protector's) they patrol The wu commons, and Dye shop. :)


You're welcome~ we may not catch everyone, but we try our darndest!

If you're interested in joining us, go and check out the group on Central~ you'll be welcomed with open arms (or wings), and we'll always have your back. We WCPs look out for each other, just as much as we do the general population. ;)

Cheers,

El Veeb
a WC Protector

Champion
Feb 29, 2012
488
Oh wow. What a day, what a day. Where to start.

Well, I must say the Commons are a relatively calm area now. I only reported two people today there.

On the other hand, the Dye Shop was horrible. At least two people were cursing left and right. Thank goodness darthjt was also there as well as Fallon Seastone.

Survivor
Apr 12, 2011
30
darthjt wrote:
While I agree with most of what you say, I also have to slightly disagree.

You don't go to a bar and expect everyone to be drinking Soda, do you?

I do not go to the commons to chat, if I am with a group of friends, we usually go to a home.

I am not saying this type of behavior is acceptable by any means and it is up to us, the community to report it, any time we see this type of behavior. However, I don't go looking for trouble either.

I know in the commons there are rude people and bad language, people that are showing off new gear, mounts, etc. I know that people are usually rude there, so I just dont go there. There are also people that spam friend requests there, etc.

This is by far, the safest game I have seen family wise. It has the most safeguards I have seen for kids on any game.

That being said, I would hate to see you go, but, I can respect your decision to keep your children safe at the same time.


I agree with you 100%.
Her child is unaware so no big deal.

I was in the commons once and asked my friend what was the biggest Deck he has, You know the ones our spells go in. Then boom, someone report me.

So unless you are part of the conversation, ignore those you think offend you and go else where, I do.

But I think that if you feel strong about reporting people, those of you that have trigger fingers itching, then do not speak to those people just do it and leave.

Also if I report someone they need to know it was me.
I think the message should say "You are reported by soNso for Whatever it is."

I can not begin to tell you how upsetting it is to be reported and not know who or why. My suggestion above and I also Suggest:

Do not send out the You are reported message untill after it has been reviewed and found to be a good report.

I wanted to quit playing after I saw that message. I do not like being said that I did wrong, when I do not, it was very upsetting.
thank you Sophia

Delver
Sep 27, 2009
207
I was talking to this kid and out of the blue he just said;


"stop talking or I will break every bone in your body."

Harsh!

Defender
Jul 23, 2011
117
Lol, the big deck thing is kind of funny. The person mistakenly thought you were trying to get around the filters. Some people report for no reason except that they have been reported, and feel they have to get back at anyone they can.

Delver
Aug 14, 2009
251
I've been to Wu a few times, not the best place.

In every MMO, there will be some nice people and some mean people. Wizard101 does have a ton of rude jerks, but most of them don't bother me since most of them are immature kids who think cussing is cool because their mom and dad aren't watching them.

A+ Student
Feb 25, 2009
1528
Sophia340 wrote:
[[Also if I report someone they need to know it was me.
I think the message should say "You are reported by soNso for Whatever it is."

I can not begin to tell you how upsetting it is to be reported and not know who or why. My suggestion above and I also Suggest:

Do not send out the You are reported message untill after it has been reviewed and found to be a good report.



Sophia340, I am sorry but, I disagree with you 100% on this. My friends and I have seen not only ourselves but others mob attacked when the offenders know who reported them..... This gets VERY ugly very quickly. It is also against policy for anyone to know who reported them.

An instant notice of being reported in most cases will warn the person they have said something that is not allowed in the game. The biggest problem is that most of those that deliberately use profanity of any kind in the game have either not READ the ToU or just DON'T CARE. Some these players are using the game as an ADULT CHAT ROOM and that is not why this game was designed.

Now I am sorry you were reported for an innocent comment. The player that reported you DID NOT look at the context of your statment and therefore has made a false report.

The unfortunate part is that the word "deck" is being used in some areas and conversations in the game to mean something entirely different. Those that have chosen to circumvent the filters to say whatever they want are now using completely innocent words to continue with their barrage of foul language. Anyone that is making reports against another player really needs to be sure of the context before doing so.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
2081
darthjt wrote:
While I agree with most of what you say, I also have to slightly disagree.

You don't go to a bar and expect everyone to be drinking Soda, do you?

I do not go to the commons to chat, if I am with a group of friends, we usually go to a home.

I am not saying this type of behavior is acceptable by any means and it is up to us, the community to report it, any time we see this type of behavior. However, I don't go looking for trouble either.

I know in the commons there are rude people and bad language, people that are showing off new gear, mounts, etc. I know that people are usually rude there, so I just dont go there. There are also people that spam friend requests there, etc.

This is by far, the safest game I have seen family wise. It has the most safeguards I have seen for kids on any game.

That being said, I would hate to see you go, but, I can respect your decision to keep your children safe at the same time.


I thought I should clarify this a bit more.

The Commons & Dye Shop are very common and Public Areas, anyone and everyone go there. These places are no considered a "Bar" to go and get something like a "Soda".

In no way shape or form, should cursing or obscene behavior be appropriate in a public area.

Why these Hooligans think it is acceptable is beyond me. They should take things to their home or dorm, not be where any child or anyone for that matter does not see it.

The fact that we have ignore and open chat, does not mean they have the right to say whatever they want, whenever they want, wherever they want.

Having respect for yourself and others and being appropriate in a public place is common knowledge and common courtisy.

Defender
Mar 10, 2012
182
Um? why are you protecting her if she has menu chat?. She cant see curses or any bad lanugage if she has menu chat. This isnt a serious issue for your kid.

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2926
Sophia340 wrote:

I was in the commons once and asked my friend what was the biggest Deck he has, You know the ones our spells go in. Then boom, someone report me.


I'm sorry this happened to you. Sure, I've heard that word used to bypass the filters several times, but context is everything.~ if in doubt, I don't report.

Sophia340 wrote:
But I think that if you feel strong about reporting people, those of you that have trigger fingers itching, then do not speak to those people just do it and leave.


I don't like reporting people, but will do it as the situation calls for and try not to engage anyone in the process... I'm like a wraith: silent, but deadly. ;)

Sophia340 wrote:
Also, if I report someone they need to know it was me.
I think the message should say "You are reported by soNso for Whatever it is."

I can not begin to tell you how upsetting it is to be reported and not know who or why.


No, no, and triple no.
As well as in-game, the website I mod on keeps all reports confidential. The reason for this is because naming members would open the doors to harassment and bullying, which would be even more upsetting for the person on the receiving end.

I've been falsely reported a few times, and could care less~ when Mr. Lincoln checks the log, I know that my name will not be attached to any rule-breaking.

Sophia340 wrote:
My suggestion above and I also Suggest:Do not send out the You are reported message untill after it has been reviewed and found to be a good report.


Only problem is, that could take hours, or days~ that's why the email with details of sanctions is sent to the master account.

Added bonus: if a perp is walking the line, that message might wake her up and make her realize that her behaviour is inappropriate; that way, it gives her a chance to stop acting out (and avoid an insta-mute).

Sophia340 wrote:
I wanted to quit playing after I saw that message. I do not like being said that I did wrong, when I do not, it was very upsetting.
thank you Sophia


If you're not breaking rules, you shouldn't be upset over a report that's clearly false~ that person will get his/her just desserts from KI, sooner or later.

I see how being falsely accused could rattle a younger player's self-esteem~ that said, it's for the greater good that the procedure is in place. I'm sorry about what happened to you, but that's just a matter of someone making assumptions~ again, if in doubt, we do not report.

Happy day,

"El Veeb"
a WC Protector

Armiger
May 10, 2010
2081
I think I need to clear the air here a little bit and maybe Educate some people.

Not all kids have Menu chat.
Not all kids have Text chat.
Not all kids have Open chat.

Some kids have menu, some have text, and some have open.

Now, most of the people that say, cursing is fine because kids should not have open chat, well, most of them are kids that should not have open chat. They are not over 18. Open chat does not give anyone the right to curse.

Text Chat, just because you have text chat, does not mean you are safe either. many people have found ways around the filter and use 2 pefectly good words to form a bad word. This is still considered cursing around the filter and is not acceptable.

Now, let me also explain something. Parent have the right to choose for their kids what chat to allow them. Being former military, I can relate to those that are stationed over seas. Now, if I was still overseas and wanted to play this game with my child, I would allow my child open chat so we could communicate freely without having to worry about all the filters of text chat. This is specifically what open chat is designed for!

It is not designed to Curse or say anything you want.

Need I say more? Class is dismissed.

DarthJT

A+ Student
Feb 25, 2009
1528
conno365
Um? why are you protecting her if she has menu chat?. She cant see curses or any bad lanugage if she has menu chat. This isnt a serious issue for your kid.


Seriously? I honestly can't believe I am seeing this comment. Even if her/his child does have menu chat, this is a VERY serious issue. There are others as Darthjt explained and others have as well, that give open chat to their child for reasons of being able to commuicate especially when they are thousands of miles apart. They SHOULD NOT be subjected to this kind of behavior in a game that has a ToU/Chat rules that are being deliberately ignored.

NOW, I am going to turn this topic right back to the original OP's reason for posting it in the first place. Many of you already know the actual word that was used against Bethysue's daughter. Even though she edited that post because of 1 or 2 saying she should not have been allowed to post with that word to whick I do understand because of young members reading the boards.

It was Bethysue's post that really opened our eyes again and I thank her for that. As a community, we were negligent and did not stop in The Commons and other areas long enough to see what was really happening.

Last night one of my wizards along with several others just happened to be in the Commons in realm Wu area 2 when all of a sudden the SAME word that Bethysue saw used against her 9 yr old daughter was seen by many of us being used AGAIN against another young player. Since there were many that saw this and reported it, the transgressor did receive an INSTANT mute and I am hereby BEGGING KI to make sure this player NEVER has open or even filtered chat again in this game. There have been many others using such filthy language and referencing ***ual actions that should also be permanently muted WITHOUT EXCEPTION. NOR should they ever be able to create another account. It has already been proven that after 1 or 2 days with some players, they will continue to come right back using the same foul language or worse.

If it is a question of losing revenue for the company, it is my opinion that the company would stand to gain more revenue by applying stricter sanctions on the transgressors.

Unfortunately, many members are now paying the price for this and many, many young players are no longer being allowed to play as their parents have joined in the efforts to clean it up and until this is achieved, their children are denied the fun this game used to be. This is TOTALLY UNFAIR to them and many others.

Fallon WinterLeaf a "Wizard City Protector"

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
291
Many of us are told we need to just switch to menu or text chat if we don't want to have to see the vile things you say. Why should WE have to switch because YOU can't control your own impulses or chat? Then you scream and cry like a toddler when you get muted?

As Darthjt says, many of you who have open chat, technically, should not have open chat because you aren't 18 years of age.

Little note. The world doesn't revolve around any of us. Not a single one of us is more special than anyone else. The rules apply to each and every one of us in this game.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
345
darthjt wrote:
I think I need to clear the air here a little bit and maybe Educate some people.

Not all kids have Menu chat.
Not all kids have Text chat.
Not all kids have Open chat.

Some kids have menu, some have text, and some have open.

Now, most of the people that say, cursing is fine because kids should not have open chat, well, most of them are kids that should not have open chat. They are not over 18. Open chat does not give anyone the right to curse.

Text Chat, just because you have text chat, does not mean you are safe either. many people have found ways around the filter and use 2 pefectly good words to form a bad word. This is still considered cursing around the filter and is not acceptable.

Now, let me also explain something. Parent have the right to choose for their kids what chat to allow them. Being former military, I can relate to those that are stationed over seas. Now, if I was still overseas and wanted to play this game with my child, I would allow my child open chat so we could communicate freely without having to worry about all the filters of text chat. This is specifically what open chat is designed for!

It is not designed to Curse or say anything you want.

Need I say more? Class is dismissed.

DarthJT


Thank you Darth and well said.

I allowed my under 18 years old son to have Open. He never once behaved like this and reported those who do. He is a responsible and respectable young man with morals and ethics. I also supervise my kids while they are online. They are allowed to play with my adult friends. My friends know I want to be told if they do anything bad or questionable. Never not once was I told anything.

I made a choice. If I had the slightest doubt it would be Menu or Text Chat.

*The kids account is now on menu chat. The game has changed so has the chat type.*

*edit here*

Megan

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2926
goldendragon18 wrote:

Last night one of my wizards along with several others just happened to be in the Commons in realm Wu area 2 when all of a sudden the SAME word that Bethysue saw used against her 9 yr old daughter was seen by many of us being used AGAIN against another young player. Since there were many that saw this and reported it, the transgressor did receive an INSTANT mute and I am hereby BEGGING KI to make sure this player NEVER has open or even filtered chat again in this game. There have been many others using such filthy language and referencing ***ual actions that should also be permanently muted WITHOUT EXCEPTION. NOR should they ever be able to create another account. It has already been proven that after 1 or 2 days with some players, they will continue to come right back using the same foul language or worse.


I agree ~ KI needs to crack down on these people. I saw the original post before it was edited, and I can't believe that anyone would stoop so low as to call a child such a nasty name. Like I've already said, it is the worst possible name to call a woman~ calling a little girl that is despicable beyond words.

Like I mentioned on Central, that felony R word should be grounds for an instant IP-block. It's a CRIME, and kids are tossing it around like it's no big deal. As a woman, an aunt, and a paying member of this community, it's unacceptable. PERIOD. No exceptions.

goldendragon18 wrote:
If it is a question of losing revenue for the company, it is my opinion that the company would stand to gain more revenue by applying stricter sanctions on the transgressors.

Unfortunately, many members are now paying the price for this and many, many young players are no longer being allowed to play as their parents have joined in the efforts to clean it up and until this is achieved, their children are denied the fun this game used to be. This is TOTALLY UNFAIR to them and many others.

Fallon WinterLeaf a "Wizard City Protector"


Amen. Unfortunately, the victims of this degrading behaviour are the ones who pay the price~ we're told to just "turn off chat", or "put so-and-so on Ignore"... That's all fine and well, but the point is that we shouldn't have to.

As an adult and paying member, I shouldn't have to give up the luxury of open chat (which, by the way, I pay for) because some mouthy kid/teenager/"responsible" adult decides to abuse it? How is that fair?

If I were a parent, I would not let my child out of my sight while in-game. S/he would never be allowed to have open chat, either, but that's besides the point...

"El Veeb"
a WC Protector

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
711
vonawesome1 wrote:
If I were a parent, I would not let my child out of my sight while in-game. S/he would never be allowed to have open chat, either, but that's besides the point...

"El Veeb" a WC Protector


Yeppers, and it's a DRAG. I love to quest with my small son, but not all the time. He has a completely different work flow than I, and it can become frustrating. In fact, I have pretty much given up on working my own wizards when my kid is in-game. I have resorted to role-playing body guard for the child, so he can play without concern in this "family-oriented game".

Oh, and I would never give my son open chat. Ever.

If you see an archmage theurgist following a young theurgist around, that's me, Iridian Shadowweaver, Archmage, Bodyguard.

I suppose my other wizards will never finish Zafaria and Avalon...

Qbb

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
305
darthjt wrote:
I think I need to clear the air here a little bit and maybe Educate some people.

Not all kids have Menu chat.
Not all kids have Text chat.
Not all kids have Open chat.

Some kids have menu, some have text, and some have open.

Now, most of the people that say, cursing is fine because kids should not have open chat, well, most of them are kids that should not have open chat. They are not over 18. Open chat does not give anyone the right to curse.

Text Chat, just because you have text chat, does not mean you are safe either. many people have found ways around the filter and use 2 pefectly good words to form a bad word. This is still considered cursing around the filter and is not acceptable.

Now, let me also explain something. Parent have the right to choose for their kids what chat to allow them. Being former military, I can relate to those that are stationed over seas. Now, if I was still overseas and wanted to play this game with my child, I would allow my child open chat so we could communicate freely without having to worry about all the filters of text chat. This is specifically what open chat is designed for!

It is not designed to Curse or say anything you want.

Need I say more? Class is dismissed.

DarthJT


I agree with you on everything. The only thing is, you could get a true friend code with your child to allow you to communicate more efficiently, but just to each other.

Other then that, well said darthjt

Kevin Deaththorn,
Wizard City Protector

Champion
Feb 29, 2012
488
Dear fellow WCP,

It has come to my attention that while the Dye Shop is still an area of concern, I feel that we should also watch Ravenwood. Just today I came upon one group of wizards. Some were cursing in every comment, I I had to multi report.

~ Scarlet Nightdreamer, Grandmaster Diviner

Survivor
Jan 11, 2010
10
Hello, I am new the Spiral and I saw this post so I decided to check it out, because I don't want to be encountered by rudeness, as I am new to the game. Well after reading alot of the posts, I am suprised at all the rudeness among people in Wu. I am not a child, I am in my tweens, and this kind of stuff truly disgusts me. I may go into some of the reporting runs or whatever you call them, and I hope that none of you nice people encounter this in any other Realms. My two cents, peace. 8)

Zachary Shadowflame Storm Wizard level 5

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2926
ionya wrote:
Dear fellow WCP,

It has come to my attention that while the Dye Shop is still an area of concern, I feel that we should also watch Ravenwood. Just today I came upon one group of wizards. Some were cursing in every comment, I I had to multi report.

~ Scarlet Nightdreamer, Grandmaster Diviner


Some people never learn/are off their rockers/just need to sit down and have some cake.

(that was my response to this one guy, who kept threatening people with violence~ I told him to calm down and have some pie, after which he got more violent for a bit. I think it's because his parents once gave him pie instead of tasty cupcakes, lots of bad memories. *giggle*)

Last night in the Dye Shop, I stuffed people full of cake and pie. A couple people sang songs/ provided the entertainment, and someone started a food fight... The potty-mouths got frightened by the festivities and quickly vacated. LOL~ they wouldn't know a good time if it covered their pets in chocolate! :P

Tonight, I've got pudding... Here's hoping someone brought a bowl!

-Laura/veebz

Historian
May 02, 2009
698
chardarkspur wrote:
flash33,
there is a group on central now that helps wizards on hard tasks. I am sure they would love to have more help. Just go to the forum and search "mercenaries 4 hire"

Michael Nightgem lvl 64 Necromancer
a knight without armor in a savage land

I am well aware of the mercs; they've been around for a couple years now, and I have asked them for help once before.

I myself am part of the WCP's, and even when I wasn't, I still reported the rule-breakers, because unlike some people, I actually take the time to read the rules of the game before I play it (this applies to all games, not just online ones).

I just find it very ironic that people want to be able to curse and stuff like that, yet they dont want to be reported for it. Obviously they cant get it through their heads that if they dont want to be reported for cursing, then just dont curse, its that simple.

Explorer
Aug 01, 2009
69
Actually, I'd love the report to say the reason, just not he name.
It can help people know what they were doing wrong and stop it (or just be like bsjdydv I don't care let's continue doing this rule breaking)
And more importantly it would give me the giggles seeing what people false report me for XD I've been falsely reported once ATM from someone who was mad at me for reporting him for foul language and I would've loved to see what his reason for reporting me was: Trying to keep the spiral clean? XD

OK, I should get of the message boards rigt now, my 2am brain is not going to make useful comments.

Survivor
Jan 11, 2010
10
Something that came to mind is that the rude players could be reading these posts, and I don't know if that's bad or good, I just want to point that out. Something to think about, my two cents, peace. 8)

Zachary Shadowflame level 7 Storm

A+ Student
Feb 25, 2009
1528
ThomasTilk1999 wrote:
Something that came to mind is that the rude players could be reading these posts, and I don't know if that's bad or good, I just want to point that out. Something to think about, my two cents, peace. 8)

Zachary Shadowflame level 7 Storm


Thomas, it is quite alright for the rude players to read these posts. We hope it will make them take notice of their actions and choose to change their unacceptable behavior and go on to be excellent wizards.

We would rather see them clean up their bad behavior and continue to play and have fun. There is plenty of room in the Spiral for everyone to live and enjoy it. But it should not be abused in the way it is now.

@Bethysue If you have been watching this thread, we would like for you to know we are doing our best to get the bad behavior swept out of the game. We do hope that you and your daughter can return and continue your journey through the Spiral and all the adventures it holds. This holds as well for any other parents that have disabled their childs accounts for the same reason. We are trying very hard.

Fallon WinterLeaf a "Wizard City Protector"

A+ Student
Feb 25, 2009
1528
ThomasTilk1999 wrote:
Something that came to mind is that the rude players could be reading these posts, and I don't know if that's bad or good, I just want to point that out. Something to think about, my two cents, peace. 8)

Zachary Shadowflame level 7 Storm


Thomas, we are aware that some of the rude players are more than likely reading this thread and just as likely to be finding other locations and even realms to move their rudeness to. Hopefully many others like us that want to clean the game up will be doing so where ever they find them.....

We have made some progress in Wu realm and of course we don't know if those players have been perma-muted or banned from the game or if they have just moved to other locations and realms.

We will continue to watch for the foul language and bad behavior in any realm or locations we are in. We would also like to see as many players as possible to stop and take a look around regardless of realm, area or location they are in. Wizard City is not the only place these things are happening. As a community, it is our responsibility to help KI in restoring the safety of the game for our families to enjoy and especially our young.

Thank you to all players that have taken a stand against this kind of behavior.

Fallon WinterLeaf a WC Protector