Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Rudeness/Attitudes of Players...

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 14, 2010
13
I will not be renewing my subscription after it is up this month because of issues I voiced in another post, so I wanted to make one more comment before my time in this game is done. I'm not sure what more KI can do about this problem, but something really needs to change with a vast majority of the players on this game. Most of them are just down right nasty to other people. Yes, I know you can ignore and report them, but if I did that to everyone I saw being nasty to me or other players I would be doing nothing but deleting and reporting (which I don't typically do). My main concern is some younger kids DO play this game, and for whatever reason, I have seen some very young players with open chat. Besides that, you don't even have to have open chat. People without open chat find ways around it anyway by saying things like "foe ok you" and such. You don't have to be that old to comprehend what that means I'm sure, lol. All you have to do is spend five minutes in the Wu realm and you will see this. Open chat or not they find ways to use bad language to harass other players, and most of the time they do it "for fun". I have seen this "fun" turn downright violent though with the nasty language and threats.

I will give you a couple of specific examples, and these are VERY common examples. One day I was playing the game with my daughter who is nine years old. We often play together, and I only let her play when I am on so I can monitor what she's doing and what people are saying to her. She does have closed chat, so she can't see when other people are cursing (unless they use a play on words like I mentioned above), but I can. So on this day, I was nicely talking to someone in the commons when another player came up to our group of three and started harassing us for NO reason at all. He even went so far as to call my nine-year old a very nasty name that I will not repeat. My nine-year old! Are you kidding me? BTW he did know she was a young girl and that she was my daughter because he overheard my conversation with another player before he started bothering us, so he new full well that he was calling a younger kid that name. Now, she couldn't see his comment of course, but I certainly could. Needless to say it made me extremely angry, lol. I was totally uncalled for behavior on his part.

Then, one other time I was in the commons, and I had some gold cards that I didn't need and didn't need to sell at the bazaar. I had a ton of them because I had been farming bosses for pets. So here I am thinking I am doing a nice thing by offering these cards to other players. I came upon a couple standing in the commons. One was Myth and one was Death. I had a lot of cards for those schools, so I asked them if they wanted them and told them they did not have to give me anything at all in return. They immediately laid into me with their attitudes and in basic terms (I'm putting this nicely and won't repeat exactly what they said) said they didn't want my cards. Then, the girl nastily corrected me for calling them "gold" cards instead of "treasure" cards, and proceeded to tell me how dumb I was for simply calling them gold cards. Why? Because she didn't like people calling them that. She obviously knew what I was talking about so I didn't see the big deal. It's not the fact that they refused my cards. I really don't care about that. If they don't want them then fine, but their reaction was completely over-the-top rude and uncalled for. I mean really. How hard is it to simply say no thank you, lol? I would have accepted that, said okay, and walked away.

Of course these are just a couple examples, I have many, many others. If you stand in the commons (especially in Wu) you will see tons of similar examples. There is a fight there about once an hour or more and people constantly cussing and calling other player's names. I think other players need to be aware that there is a wide range of ages that play this game. I'm sure many do know and simply don't care. I try to treat everyone as respectful as possible since you never know who you are talking to. I don't understand why this game has to serve as a medium for nasty behavior, fights and language. It ruins the game for a lot of people. I can't even let my daughter play alone because I am worried who she is going to run into. Seriously, it's a family game and shouldn't be like that, and yes, it is marketed as a family game regardless of what the teens on here think. Just look at the commercials for it on t.v. with young kids, parents, and grandparents talking about it. It's funny how in a game that teens think they rule, no teens are shown in the promo commercial, lol.

Nicole (Level 80, Life Wiz)

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
711
Well now, seems like I need to lurk around in the Commons on Wu realm. Anyone want to join me for a reporting session?

Dang it, we ALL have to work to keep the Spiral clean and safe for kids. ALL of us, all the time.

Bethy Sue, I'm on it, and I'm sure other parental unit-types will also take up the responsibility to monitor behavior.

Would you consider staying and helping to root out this problem?

A suggestion for KI: Please consider the selection of some members for in-game moderation.

Warmest Regards,

Qbb/Iridian, Troll Hunter

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2926
First of all, Nicole, let me say this~ while I don't know you personally, I really and honestly do feel for you, and agree that there is no excuse for what happened to your daughter. I sincerely hope that you don't let those jerks interfere with your experience because, fortunately for all of us, they are the exception... not the rule. As with any other group, sadly, it's the obnoxious/mouthy ones that ruin it for the rest of us.

My opinion probably doesn't hold much weight, as I'm in my mid-20s and don't have kids. That said, I don't hesitate to report harassment and/or foul language as I see it, and I recommend that you do the same; it's everyone's responsibility, to help KI keep the Spiral safe and fun for wizards of all ages.

One time, I was in Waterworks with a couple of teenagers (I'm guessing they were between 11-15ish), when one suddenly let loose with a barrage of profanity and slurs... words that made me cringe, even though I've heard worse. Unfortunately, WW is a closed dungeon~ therefore, the perp would know that one of us reported her, and we didn't want to encourage her abusive behaviour; in any other situation, I would have reported her without a moment's consideration. Oddly enough, I can always tell when it's a child/teenager swearing, versus an adult~ the obvious lack of maturity and contextual knowledge are often dead giveaways, and it makes me uncomfortable.

And the name that the random guy called your daughter... That word grinds my gears, as it's the worst name to ever call a woman, but to call a little girl that is truly deplorable. For future encounters with people like this~ report, ignore, change realms.

For safety and justice,
El Veeb the Archmage

Survivor
Oct 03, 2011
41
bethysue02 wrote:
I will not be renewing my subscription after it is up this month because of issues I voiced in another post, so I wanted to make one more comment before my time in this game is done. I'm not sure what more KI can do about this problem, but something really needs to change with a vast majority of the players on this game. Most of them are just down right nasty to other people. Yes, I know you can ignore and report them, but if I did that to everyone I saw being nasty to me or other players I would be doing nothing but deleting and reporting (which I don't typically do). My main concern is some younger kids DO play this game, and for whatever reason, I have seen some very young players with open chat. Besides that, you don't even have to have open chat. People without open chat find ways around it anyway by saying things like "foe ok you" and such. You don't have to be that old to comprehend what that means I'm sure, lol. All you have to do is spend five minutes in the Wu realm and you will see this. Open chat or not they find ways to use bad language to harass other players, and most of the time they do it "for fun". I have seen this "fun" turn downright violent though with the nasty language and threats.

I will give you a couple of specific examples, and these are VERY common examples. One day I was playing the game with my daughter who is nine years old. We often play together, and I only let her play when I am on so I can monitor what she's doing and what people are saying to her. She does have closed chat, so she can't see when other people are cursing (unless they use a play on words like I mentioned above), but I can. So on this day, I was nicely talking to someone in the commons when another player came up to our group of three and started harassing us for NO reason at all. He even went so far as to call my nine-year old a cunt (sorry for the language). My nine-year old! Are you kidding me? BTW he did know she was a young girl and that she was my daughter because he overheard my conversation with another player before he started bothering us, so he new full well that he was calling a younger kid that name. Now, she couldn't see his comment of course, but I certainly could. Needless to say it made me extremely angry, lol. I was totally uncalled for behavior on his part.

Then, one other time I was in the commons, and I had some gold cards that I didn't need and didn't need to sell at the bazaar. I had a ton of them because I had been farming bosses for pets. So here I am thinking I am doing a nice thing by offering these cards to other players. I came upon a couple standing in the commons. One was Myth and one was Death. I had a lot of cards for those schools, so I asked them if they wanted them and told them they did not have to give me anything at all in return. They immediately laid into me with their attitudes and in basic terms (I'm putting this nicely and won't repeat exactly what they said) said they didn't want my cards. Then, the girl nastily corrected me for calling them "gold" cards instead of "treasure" cards, and proceeded to tell me how dumb I was for simply calling them gold cards. Why? Because she didn't like people calling them that. She obviously knew what I was talking about so I didn't see the big deal. It's not the fact that they refused my cards. I really don't care about that. If they don't want them then fine, but their reaction was completely over-the-top rude and uncalled for. I mean really. How hard is it to simply say no thank you, lol? I would have accepted that, said okay, and walked away.

Of course these are just a couple examples, I have many, many others. If you stand in the commons (especially in Wu) you will see tons of similar examples. There is a fight there about once an hour or more and people constantly cussing and calling other player's names. I think other players need to be aware that there is a wide range of ages that play this game. I'm sure many do know and simply don't care. I try to treat everyone as respectful as possible since you never know who you are talking to. I don't understand why this game has to serve as a medium for nasty behavior, fights and language. It ruins the game for a lot of people. I can't even let my daughter play alone because I am worried who she is going to run into. Seriously, it's a family game and shouldn't be like that, and yes, it is marketed as a family game regardless of what the teens on here think. Just look at the commercials for it on t.v. with young kids, parents, and grandparents talking about it. It's funny how in a game that teens think they rule, no teens are shown in the promo commercial, lol.

Nicole (Level 80, Life Wiz)


I agree. I have the same kind experience before, now, I was in The Commons minding my own buisness and then someone came up t me and swore his head off at me ( i have open chat) I mean, how crazy is that?!?!! I immediately reported him and walked away. Even though i reported him I felt kinda offended. KI HAS to do something before things get out of hand. Whos with me? lol

Samuel GhostHunter Transcended Conjurer

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
1309
bethysue02 wrote:
I will not be renewing my subscription after it is up this month because of issues I voiced in another post, so I wanted to make one more comment before my time in this game is done. I'm not sure what more KI can do about this problem, but something really needs to change with a vast majority of the players on this game. Most of them are just down right nasty to other people. Yes, I know you can ignore and report them, but if I did that to everyone I saw being nasty to me or other players I would be doing nothing but deleting and reporting (which I don't typically do). My main concern is some younger kids DO play this game, and for whatever reason, I have seen some very young players with open chat. Besides that, you don't even have to have open chat. People without open chat find ways around it anyway by saying things like "foe ok you" and such. You don't have to be that old to comprehend what that means I'm sure, lol. All you have to do is spend five minutes in the Wu realm and you will see this. Open chat or not they find ways to use bad language to harass other players, and most of the time they do it "for fun". I have seen this "fun" turn downright violent though with the nasty language and threats.

I will give you a couple of specific examples, and these are VERY common examples. One day I was playing the game with my daughter who is nine years old. We often play together, and I only let her play when I am on so I can monitor what she's doing and what people are saying to her. She does have closed chat, so she can't see when other people are cursing (unless they use a play on words like I mentioned above), but I can. So on this day, I was nicely talking to someone in the commons when another player came up to our group of three and started harassing us for NO reason at all. He even went so far as to call my nine-year old a cunt (sorry for the language). My nine-year old! Are you kidding me? BTW he did know she was a young girl and that she was my daughter because he overheard my conversation with another player before he started bothering us, so he new full well that he was calling a younger kid that name. Now, she couldn't see his comment of course, but I certainly could. Needless to say it made me extremely angry, lol. I was totally uncalled for behavior on his part.

Then, one other time I was in the commons, and I had some gold cards that I didn't need and didn't need to sell at the bazaar. I had a ton of them because I had been farming bosses for pets. So here I am thinking I am doing a nice thing by offering these cards to other players. I came upon a couple standing in the commons. One was Myth and one was Death. I had a lot of cards for those schools, so I asked them if they wanted them and told them they did not have to give me anything at all in return. They immediately laid into me with their attitudes and in basic terms (I'm putting this nicely and won't repeat exactly what they said) said they didn't want my cards. Then, the girl nastily corrected me for calling them "gold" cards instead of "treasure" cards, and proceeded to tell me how dumb I was for simply calling them gold cards. Why? Because she didn't like people calling them that. She obviously knew what I was talking about so I didn't see the big deal. It's not the fact that they refused my cards. I really don't care about that. If they don't want them then fine, but their reaction was completely over-the-top rude and uncalled for. I mean really. How hard is it to simply say no thank you, lol? I would have accepted that, said okay, and walked away.

Of course these are just a couple examples, I have many, many others. If you stand in the commons (especially in Wu) you will see tons of similar examples. There is a fight there about once an hour or more and people constantly cussing and calling other player's names. I think other players need to be aware that there is a wide range of ages that play this game. I'm sure many do know and simply don't care. I try to treat everyone as respectful as possible since you never know who you are talking to. I don't understand why this game has to serve as a medium for nasty behavior, fights and language. It ruins the game for a lot of people. I can't even let my daughter play alone because I am worried who she is going to run into. Seriously, it's a family game and shouldn't be like that, and yes, it is marketed as a family game regardless of what the teens on here think. Just look at the commercials for it on t.v. with young kids, parents, and grandparents talking about it. It's funny how in a game that teens think they rule, no teens are shown in the promo commercial, lol.

Nicole (Level 80, Life Wiz)


It is sad that you will quit playing a game you and your daughter obviously enjoy just because the actions of a few--and yes, I do believe there are more nice people than rude people on this game.

Like you, I have ran across some rude and vicious people in the game. Still the majority of the people i meet are nice. I think this is because I avoid the commons, especially on a crowded realm. (Wu is usually a crowded realm).

Most of the people that stand around the commons causing trouble are the younger players who don't have a sub or have completed all the worlds and just want to 'socialize'. You can avoid most of the rude people by simply changing to a less crowded realm. You can also lessen the chances of lowering your IQ by avoiding the commons altogether.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 80 Life

Armiger
May 10, 2010
2081
While I agree with most of what you say, I also have to slightly disagree.

You don't go to a bar and expect everyone to be drinking Soda, do you?

I do not go to the commons to chat, if I am with a group of friends, we usually go to a home.

I am not saying this type of behavior is acceptable by any means and it is up to us, the community to report it, any time we see this type of behavior. However, I don't go looking for trouble either.

I know in the commons there are rude people and bad language, people that are showing off new gear, mounts, etc. I know that people are usually rude there, so I just dont go there. There are also people that spam friend requests there, etc.

This is by far, the safest game I have seen family wise. It has the most safeguards I have seen for kids on any game.

That being said, I would hate to see you go, but, I can respect your decision to keep your children safe at the same time.

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
291
Its something of an "education" to hang out in the Commons and evesdrop on the conversations. Not always a nice one either sadly.
Yesterday, my level 78 ice wizard was "listening in" on a bit of drama and a random level 4 ( or maybe below that) came up to her and told her that she hated her. No reason whatsoever. I laughed to myself and said "ok." She decided to accelerate her hostility towards me and went on a bit more.
There were other wizards around either encouraging her or telling her to be quiet.
She then told me that I made her sick and she was going to throw up. I really was laughing by then and told her she had a problem then. I then put her on ignore so I wouldn't have to hear/read her hostile drivel anymore. But she started following me around until I switched realms.
I'm an adult so it was water off a duck's back to me. But we don't know the ages of any of the players unless told. Shoot, I could claim to be the Queen of Sheba! lol
The little "darling" was trying to either hurt my feelings or start a fight: Bless her heart. But WHY?! What does behavior such as that prove? As far as I'm concerned, it just proves how rude, crude, and socially unacceptable some people can be towards others.
Bettysue, I'm sad to see that the behavior of those others have you leaving the game. But I certainly understand. The safety and well being of your daughter is much more important!

Susan

A+ Student
Feb 25, 2009
1529
bethysue02 wrote:
I will not be renewing my subscription after it is up this month because of issues I voiced in another post, so I wanted to make one more comment before my time in this game is done. I'm not sure what more KI can do about this problem, but something really needs to change with a vast majority of the players on this game. Most of them are just down right nasty to other people. Yes, I know you can ignore and report them, but if I did that to everyone I saw being nasty to me or other players I would be doing nothing but deleting and reporting (which I don't typically do). My main concern is some younger kids DO play this game, and for whatever reason, I have seen some very young players with open chat. Besides that, you don't even have to have open chat. People without open chat find ways around it anyway by saying things like "foe ok you" and such. You don't have to be that old to comprehend what that means I'm sure, lol. All you have to do is spend five minutes in the Wu realm and you will see this. Open chat or not they find ways to use bad language to harass other players, and most of the time they do it "for fun". I have seen this "fun" turn downright violent though with the nasty language and threats.

I will give you a couple of specific examples, and these are VERY common examples. One day I was playing the game with my daughter who is nine years old. We often play together, and I only let her play when I am on so I can monitor what she's doing and what people are saying to her. She does have closed chat, so she can't see when other people are cursing (unless they use a play on words like I mentioned above), but I can. So on this day, I was nicely talking to someone in the commons when another player came up to our group of three and started harassing us for NO reason at all. He even went so far as to call my nine-year old a cunt (sorry for the language). My nine-year old! Are you kidding me? BTW he did know she was a young girl and that she was my daughter because he overheard my conversation with another player before he started bothering us, so he new full well that he was calling a younger kid that name. Now, she couldn't see his comment of course, but I certainly could. Needless to say it made me extremely angry, lol. I was totally uncalled for behavior on his part.

Then, one other time I was in the commons, and I had some gold cards that I didn't need and didn't need to sell at the bazaar. I had a ton of them because I had been farming bosses for pets. So here I am thinking I am doing a nice thing by offering these cards to other players. I came upon a couple standing in the commons. One was Myth and one was Death. I had a lot of cards for those schools, so I asked them if they wanted them and told them they did not have to give me anything at all in return. They immediately laid into me with their attitudes and in basic terms (I'm putting this nicely and won't repeat exactly what they said) said they didn't want my cards. Then, the girl nastily corrected me for calling them "gold" cards instead of "treasure" cards, and proceeded to tell me how dumb I was for simply calling them gold cards. Why? Because she didn't like people calling them that. She obviously knew what I was talking about so I didn't see the big deal. It's not the fact that they refused my cards. I really don't care about that. If they don't want them then fine, but their reaction was completely over-the-top rude and uncalled for. I mean really. How hard is it to simply say no thank you, lol? I would have accepted that, said okay, and walked away.

Of course these are just a couple examples, I have many, many others. If you stand in the commons (especially in Wu) you will see tons of similar examples. There is a fight there about once an hour or more and people constantly cussing and calling other player's names. I think other players need to be aware that there is a wide range of ages that play this game. I'm sure many do know and simply don't care. I try to treat everyone as respectful as possible since you never know who you are talking to. I don't understand why this game has to serve as a medium for nasty behavior, fights and language. It ruins the game for a lot of people. I can't even let my daughter play alone because I am worried who she is going to run into. Seriously, it's a family game and shouldn't be like that, and yes, it is marketed as a family game regardless of what the teens on here think. Just look at the commercials for it on t.v. with young kids, parents, and grandparents talking about it. It's funny how in a game that teens think they rule, no teens are shown in the promo commercial, lol.

Nicole (Level 80, Life Wiz)


I am really very sorry you ran into a person like that. Yes, it is the worst a woman can be called and to say this to a child, that person should be permanently banned from ever creating another account for this game or any other KI game for that matter.

I really hope you will reconsider leaving the game as it is the parents and grandparents that have to stand up for the young players on their accounts. The only way to make it safer for the kids is for us adults to do what we can to get these players muted and removed.

As a grandmother, this is one thing I will report everytime I see it happening. If these players can't control their language, then they need to move on to the many other games out there that tolerate this kind of behavior and stay out of W101. I have a grandson and great nephew that don't play near as much now for various reasons, but this kind of language is one of them. They both have filtered chat, but with the way many have found to get around the filters, it is not hard to know what is being said. It is bad enough that the adults are seeing it happen and unfortunately, there are many of them not reporting it.

@ Vonawesome1, I can understand your situation in the WW dungeon, and not to be rude, but not reporting that incident, that person is probably still doing the same thing with someone else. Granted, she probably would have spouted off just that much more and may or may not have ported out of the dungeon. Myself, I would have reported them anyway even if it meant losing that particular run.

Nicole, you will find the worst of this type of behavior in the WC Commons and usually in Wu realm. Just avoid that realm when you and your daughter play. And there will be many of us watching what is going on and doing our best to get it stopped.

Astrologist
Oct 22, 2011
1073
Although I don't have children, and don't have any other family members that play this game, I can still sympathize with you. The attitudes and behavior of some of the people are unforgivable.

I've been called quite a few names (including the "c" word) while stopping in the Commons for a few minutes. Just for standing there and doing nothing more than checking my quests.

It's really sad that people feel it's necessary to express themselves in such a vulgar way. I don't have any problem reporting them. I don't care if they know it's me or not. No one has falsely reported me after I've reported them.

I wish I could say "please stay", but ultimately, it's up to you to make that decision. I feel bad that you and your daughter had such a bad experience. Please be assured, that some of us are trying our best to keep things clean and respectable for all players.

Explorer
Jun 03, 2012
81
I haven't been playing very long, but I am beginning to notice some of what you are saying. I joined the game to play with my grandchildren who are 10 and 7. I can't imagine letting either one of them play alone for the very reason that you can't be sure who they may come in contact with. The other issue is at their ages they couldn't possibly sort through all the complicated rules and understanding of the many nuances in this alternate reality world. Which is unfortunate in a "family friendly" game. I am wondering exactly what I should be doing as a parental unit when I come in contact with bad behavior? It sounds like I need to keep the all player names turned on so I know who it is that is behaving badly. I hope I don't end up feeling the way you do after the time and effort it must have taken you to attain the level you have reached.

Thanks for your post, it has given me a wider awareness..

Sarai Thundergrove, Journeyman Phyromancer

A+ Student
Feb 25, 2009
1529
Darlar828 wrote:
I haven't been playing very long, but I am beginning to notice some of what you are saying. I joined the game to play with my grandchildren who are 10 and 7. I can't imagine letting either one of them play alone for the very reason that you can't be sure who they may come in contact with. The other issue is at their ages they couldn't possibly sort through all the complicated rules and understanding of the many nuances in this alternate reality world. Which is unfortunate in a "family friendly" game. I am wondering exactly what I should be doing as a parental unit when I come in contact with bad behavior? It sounds like I need to keep the all player names turned on so I know who it is that is behaving badly. I hope I don't end up feeling the way you do after the time and effort it must have taken you to attain the level you have reached.

Thanks for your post, it has given me a wider awareness..

Sarai Thundergrove, Journeyman Phyromancer


In Bold.
Actually, you don't have to do that. When you see this kind of language on your screen, just open you chat box and find what was said. From there, left click on the name beside the statement. This will bring up that players stat card on your screen. (just be sure you have the right player as the chat box can move fairly quickly sometimes). When you know you have the right one, there is a "report" button on every players card just hit that and report them for "foul language". KI will take a look at the chat log and go from there with their sanctions on that players.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
711
Darlar828 wrote:
I am wondering exactly what I should be doing as a parental unit when I come in contact with bad behavior? It sounds like I need to keep the all player names turned on so I know who it is that is behaving badly.

Sarai Thundergrove, Journeyman Phyromancer


Hi Sarai,

When you see a conversation bubble that contains inappropriate language, click it with your wand/mouse. You will find that a wizard profile pops up that shows the wizard's name, stats, etc. From the accompanying menu, choose "report". A dialogue box will open with a request that you explain the reason for your report. Say something like "inappropriate language", "cursing around the filter", etc. This will flag that spot in the chat archive, which will trigger a review of what was said and who said it. KI will then decide what punishment to mete out to the offending wizard.

As a parental unit :), you should not be shy about using the report tool. Just be sure to read the types of offense that are reportable, so you don't get in trouble for false reporting:

https://www.wizard101.com/game/help-faq

Here's how I look at it: I will behave as a responsible adult does when at the playground, the pool, or any other place where there are lots of people of various ages. That means I will call foul where I see it, whether it's bad language, bullying, or overt rudeness. The nice thing about the Spiral is that I don't have to argue with the mean kid's parent about the situation 8) I report, port, change realms, and carry on my way.

I would like to remind everyone that there are 25 million of us in the Great Spiral. It's impossible to guarantee that we are all nice people, BUT I strongly believe that we can clean up the Spiral and make it the place we wish it to be.

Kindest Regards,

Qbb/Iridian

Explorer
Apr 10, 2010
78
Your points are invailid. You shouldn't have to worry about foul language directed towards your 9 year old since she shouldn't even have filtered chat, that being your own fault. As for your personal problems, I'd expect adults to be mature enough to not let the foul words of young, insecure wizards rattle your cage so much.

P.S. Please refrain from using your own foul language on these forums (i.e. the "c word"), even if it's only an example. Adults aren't the only ones reading the forums and I can bet my Myth Mastery amulet that someone else's little 9 year old will be asking his/her mother about this new found word.

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
723
Oh goody another rant of other's behavior. While no one should be subjected to harassment, rudeness is a fact of life. I applaude the original poster for being a responsible and engaged parent and regulating their child's usage and chat level your child is lucky to have such a parent; but find it odd that they seem to take everything so personally. The Commons is filled with a variety of people who have different maturity levels and class, surprise, surprise just as in real life. If your desire is to enjoy the game go do that, but your post appears to allude to your desire to regulate and censor others for their expression. So long as it doesn't violate KI terms of service I see no issue with the spectrum of personalities in the Spiral. I don't necessarily agree of even enjoy many of them, but I go along to get along and do my own thing as needed. I refuse to allow others behavior and words detract from my enjoyment of a game. Self-expression is a right provided it doesn't infringe on others, and not liking what someone else says or how they say it is not infringement. If someone is being violativily vulgar I do report, even if I am in a gauntlet or closed dungeon; as the
chat logs will exonerate me from their false reports.

Why let others dictate your behavior and enjoyment; why take it so personally?

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
1359
I understand your pain, I truly feel bad for you, but considering you are in the commons, on the WU realm, the worst realm out there (Profanity wise), you just cant let people get a hold of your emotions. I get this all the time, just argue with them for a few minutes, till you know they know they are wrong, put them on ignore, report if you havent already, and just carry on with your daily lives. Also, I understand your concern for your child, but please, like another said, dont use it here, two wrongs dont make a right. Its an example, but what if someone younger than all of us read this? I am not an adult, but I for some reason, which I find difficulty believing, people tell me I act like an adult. The only time I believe this is when I am in the commons, with all this immature dopes :) Sorry about your child though.

A+ Student
Feb 25, 2009
1529
Krailzec wrote:
Oh goody another rant of other's behavior. While no one should be subjected to harassment, rudeness is a fact of life. I applaude the original poster for being a responsible and engaged parent and regulating their child's usage and chat level your child is lucky to have such a parent; but find it odd that they seem to take everything so personally. The Commons is filled with a variety of people who have different maturity levels and class, surprise, surprise just as in real life. If your desire is to enjoy the game go do that, but your post appears to allude to your desire to regulate and censor others for their expression. So long as it doesn't violate KI terms of service I see no issue with the spectrum of personalities in the Spiral. I don't necessarily agree of even enjoy many of them, but I go along to get along and do my own thing as needed. I refuse to allow others behavior and words detract from my enjoyment of a game. Self-expression is a right provided it doesn't infringe on others, and not liking what someone else says or how they say it is not infringement. If someone is being violativily vulgar I do report, even if I am in a gauntlet or closed dungeon; as the
chat logs will exonerate me from their false reports.

Why let others dictate your behavior and enjoyment; why take it so personally?


Your reply to this issue seems a little rude. She has every right to voice her opinion and what happened. I would do the same.

It is the responsibility of everyone to report this kind of behavior. I don't see this as violating anyones right of "Self-expression" It clearly violated the ToU set by KI.

And did it ever occur to you that not everyone knows about the issues that have plagued Wu realm?

KI can't hire enough staff to monitor what goes on in every realm and area within those realms. It would be impossible and would very quickly bring the game to an untimely end. KI gave us the tools for this purpose.

There are a lot of families that play this game and do so for fun with their kids. They should not have to deal with all the "junk" in the game that goes on in real life. Those that use this kind of behavior are not all kids. But it is the responsibility of parents to teach their kids what is right. The older ones using this type of language, IMHO should be permanently banned from the game. The younger ones doing it should be muted until they learn that it is unacceptable.

As a grandmother with a grandson that plays and a great nephew, this is the kind of thing I will report in a heartbeat when I see it. This language is not even used in our homes and we take care to make sure our kids are taught that by using this type of language is only belittling oneself.

Explorer
Aug 14, 2008
66
Oh, I know where you're coming from! While I'm not quite an adult yet, I become thoroughly disgusted by the language I've seen in this game myself. Thankfully, I've only encountered it twice in my gaming, but in passing I do happen to see people trying to combine different words just to try and cuss.

I honestly don't see the point in it myself. It's more work for the person to do, and it makes them look rather silly. If they're trying to make a point, I don't think swearing will get their point across. It's just... odd.

In any case, I have my own story to share! Just two days ago I had my second full-on encounter with some girls my age (I presume) who were in a fight in Wysteria and they were arguing with another girl who was standing by. Now I was happily fighting on my own just down the street but I overheard the conversation in it's entirety. This girl really should've let the issue go, and I could tell that she was being a bit of a bother. She was literally standing beside the girls' fight and it almost seemed as if she were egging them on. Anyway, the other two girls were happily cussing up a storm. I found it almost impossible to believe, even though I could see it happening. They really were nasty. Unfortunately before I had the chance to report the girls, I disconnected and when I logged back on I was unable to find them again. I didn't really remember their names, either.

So that's my story. Not really a happy one, but unfortunately people will be people. I wish we could change others to be respectful, if not nice. I wish you and your daughter good luck and have fun with whatever you're doing next.

Survivor
Dec 28, 2011
3
:( I hate when I really get into something, then others come along and ruin it for me. Nicole, I was very sorry to hear what happened with you and your little girl.
You are right. The things that are said on this game are unbelievable. I will honestly say I talk differently with children than adults, in the game. However, no matter who I'm talking to, I keep the language clear.
Just like everyone who has replied to your post. I have reported, and deleted people. I have also said something to the people myself.
We can do our part, but the company need to help us with this. I understand there are millions of players and only so many people working for the company. But, maybe this is something the company should have thought about before going globe.

Tare (level 76 Storm, 73 life, and a few others)

Survivor
Dec 21, 2009
41
Hello QBB ,
I have been in wu 1 doing reporting for a while now you may want to hurry my fingers getting tired lol.

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
589
I don't see the big deal. Sure, its rude and all, but that's how things are, unfortunately. Calling her daughter that name really wasn't nice, but she couldn't see it, so she's fine, and you, you could have reported him, if you didn't. Problem solved. No need to go quitting this games cause of people who think their all cool. I been in some heated arguments, and it has never bothered me.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
403
Alright then. Considering I am in fact within the age limit that you are accusing of i am offended. If anything those wizards you talked about make up a very small percentage of the the teen players in my opinion. Now i'm assuming your an adult (considering you have a child and all that), but I think you can handle in a far more diffrent fashion. If anything you've overreacted big time. Think of it like this: "Do you know the person behind those pixels.?" No. And here comes the big word and question: Is this bullying? No. Bullying is consistent and unrelenting, and often times cant be stop as easily. You see that thing in the "quit" area. Its called changing realms. Problem solved. I understand you feel that you have to protected your children, but i dont think simply taking it away is going to fix it. If this happens in the real word, you cant simply remove the problem (Legally). And one last point, everyone goes through a power trip. A few years ago,I went through mine when i created a massive gathering of wizards and tried to eradicate noobs from celestia. Lets just say kharma caught up. Bottom line, just ignore it. tell your daughter to ignore it. Cause honestly, who cares?????

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
403
ssss55123 wrote:
Its something of an "education" to hang out in the Commons and evesdrop on the conversations. Not always a nice one either sadly.
Yesterday, my level 78 ice wizard was "listening in" on a bit of drama and a random level 4 ( or maybe below that) came up to her and told her that she hated her. No reason whatsoever. I laughed to myself and said "ok." She decided to accelerate her hostility towards me and went on a bit more.
There were other wizards around either encouraging her or telling her to be quiet.
She then told me that I made her sick and she was going to throw up. I really was laughing by then and told her she had a problem then. I then put her on ignore so I wouldn't have to hear/read her hostile drivel anymore. But she started following me around until I switched realms.
I'm an adult so it was water off a duck's back to me. But we don't know the ages of any of the players unless told. Shoot, I could claim to be the Queen of Sheba! lol
The little "darling" was trying to either hurt my feelings or start a fight: Bless her heart. But WHY?! What does behavior such as that prove? As far as I'm concerned, it just proves how rude, crude, and socially unacceptable some people can be towards others.
Bettysue, I'm sad to see that the behavior of those others have you leaving the game. But I certainly understand. The safety and well being of your daughter is much more important!

Susan


No disrespect, but what can a little bit of cursing and name calling in an online game really do?? Can someone really be emotionally scarred or depressed by people she doesnt even know? Granted, Facebook, twitter, real life, rumors in school, etc. yes that has an impact. But she doestn even know these people and she can get away. This is not a threat to her well being at ALL.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
345
DanielThunderFlame... wrote:

No disrespect, but what can a little bit of cursing and name calling in an online game really do?? Can someone really be emotionally scarred or depressed by people she doesnt even know? Granted, Facebook, twitter, real life, rumors in school, etc. yes that has an impact. But she doestn even know these people and she can get away. This is not a threat to her well being at ALL.


Well everyone agreed to TOU. People doing things you described are breaking TOU and subject to sanctions. Furthermore what happened to good behavior? This is a YOUNG child who in a E10+ game should not have to worry about such things.

From the FAQ under what is a reportable offense. We appreciate that our players want to make Wizard City the best it can be, and we've placed the tools in your hand to report players for inappropriate behavior. We ask that you use the reporting feature to identify truly egregious behavior, such as creative profanity (swearing around the filters), solicitation of usernames/passwords, predatory threats, racist comments and other such actions as outlined in the Terms of Use. The old story of “the kid that cried wolf” has a lot of bearing in this situation and we trust that all reports received by players are valid and require support intervention.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
794
DanielThunderFlame... wrote:
ssss55123 wrote:
Its something of an "education" to hang out in the Commons and evesdrop on the conversations. Not always a nice one either sadly.
Yesterday, my level 78 ice wizard was "listening in" on a bit of drama and a random level 4 ( or maybe below that) came up to her and told her that she hated her. No reason whatsoever. I laughed to myself and said "ok." She decided to accelerate her hostility towards me and went on a bit more.
There were other wizards around either encouraging her or telling her to be quiet.
She then told me that I made her sick and she was going to throw up. I really was laughing by then and told her she had a problem then. I then put her on ignore so I wouldn't have to hear/read her hostile drivel anymore. But she started following me around until I switched realms.
I'm an adult so it was water off a duck's back to me. But we don't know the ages of any of the players unless told. Shoot, I could claim to be the Queen of Sheba! lol
The little "darling" was trying to either hurt my feelings or start a fight: Bless her heart. But WHY?! What does behavior such as that prove? As far as I'm concerned, it just proves how rude, crude, and socially unacceptable some people can be towards others.
Bettysue, I'm sad to see that the behavior of those others have you leaving the game. But I certainly understand. The safety and well being of your daughter is much more important!

Susan


No disrespect, but what can a little bit of cursing and name calling in an online game really do?? Can someone really be emotionally scarred or depressed by people she doesnt even know? Granted, Facebook, twitter, real life, rumors in school, etc. yes that has an impact. But she doestn even know these people and she can get away. This is not a threat to her well being at ALL.
Bullying is bullying. I can't believe you could be so cold, no disrespect meant. Yes, they could be emotionally scarred and depressed. I believe there was an instance of suicide from a similar situation.

OP,
I am deeply sorry for what happened to your daughter. There are some people who are simply insane and will do this sort of thing. I report it on sight. If I ever see the person who said that, he is going to take a Report square in the mouth. I wish you better luck with people in the future. Though I wouldn't suggest looking for them in Hub Zones such as the Commons.

Survivor
Feb 14, 2010
13
I think some of you are misunderstanding my post as far as the reason I am leaving the game. This is not necessarily why I am leaving the game. I am leaving the game for several combined reasons that have made me realize this is no longer something I want to invest my money in. I just made this post now because my membership is up soon, and I felt the need to comment on the boards while I still can. I have been playing this game for several years, and have encountered many things that have made me question whether or not I want to continue playing. This is just one of them. Granted it is a big concern of mine, especially considering my child plays.

As for the person that says my daughter's exposure to this is my own fault. That's a little ridiculous don't you think? She has limited chat so she and I can talk while we play. She likes to be able to chat with me on the game even if we are in the same room together at home. It's fun for her, and she should be able to use filtered chat without me worrying about her running into foul language. That is why it's filtered. I don't let her talk in open/adult chat. Now, that would be asking for trouble. I really am not sure why you are defending some of this nasty behavior by pointing the finger back at me.

In terms of me being an adult and being able to handle it, I can handle it just fine, but that's not my point. My point is that this behavior should not be happening in a "family game" where young children play . I should be able to let my daughter play without hovering over her shoulder worrying about who she is going to run into. I have told her to ignore certain people and to take nothing personally, but that doesn't change the fact that it shouldn't be happening in the first place. I am not talking about the players that are a little sarcastic here and there. A little playful banter is fine as long as it's not bothering anyone. I am talking about the players that are downright nasty.

I also don't hang out in Wu that often like I think some of you think. I just know from past experience that that realm in particular is a good example of the behavior that goes on, which is why I mentioned it. It just happens there more frequently...pretty much on a daily basis.

Thank you to all of you that shared my concerns and voiced your opinions. It sounds like most of you are doing a great job at helping to prevent some of this. I just wish we didn't have to deal with it to the extent it occurs in the first place. My membership is up in two days so I just wanted to make this post before then. Good luck all, and I hope you continue to enjoy the game. My daughter and I have definitely had a blast with it regardless of some of the problems.

Nicole (Level 80, Life Wiz)