Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

balance is overpowered

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
ive been getting the feeling that balance is not strong e enough these days. They have no decent attacks, and judgement is weak anymore. they need some more power

Champion
Jan 27, 2010
LOL the title of this post is very misleading.

Defender
Jul 26, 2009
Balance is becoming similar to storm. High hits, lots of spam and weak blades.

Because of the way the school is going, its similar to myth in the form that it is terrible for PvE, Amazing for PvP.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
Mana burn. Supernova. Judgement. Power nova. Must I go on? Balance is one of the best schools at the moment. If you want it to get more powerful, well, the promethean pvp will just be utterly dominated by balance wizards.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
The latest Balance strategy I've seen was to get a high critical rating, use as much pierce as possible, and spam Colossal enchanted low pip attacks with some Mana Burns and Supernovas mixed in.

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
Emperor of Life on Oct 13, 2013 wrote:
ive been getting the feeling that balance is not strong e enough these days. They have no decent attacks, and judgement is weak anymore. they need some more power
Ok so first of all your title states that balance is op then you say balance is not strong enough in your post lol. Overpowered means too much power and underpowered means not enough power, therefore you are stating that balance is underpowered. Anyway balance isn't underpowered you just gotta use your spells wisely. Try to develop a great strategy and find out your strengths and how to use your strengths effectively and find out the strengths and weaknesses of your opponent and how to avoid their strengths and take advantage of their weaknesses.

Luke Thunderflame lvl 90

Defender
Apr 07, 2011
KOblivion on Oct 15, 2013 wrote:
Balance is becoming similar to storm. High hits, lots of spam and weak blades.

Because of the way the school is going, its similar to myth in the form that it is terrible for PvE, Amazing for PvP.
Balance is terrible for PvE? lol

I soloed through the whole game with my balance, and there was no situation i couldn't handle. I soloed waterworks, Jabberwock, celestia dungeons, briskbreeze tower...etc. Okay i can't solo Tartarus and Tower of Helephant, but is an awesome school for PvE!

Survivor
Jul 30, 2011
Emperor of Life on Oct 13, 2013 wrote:
At level 90 balance has the most wizards on the top 1000 leaderboard so balance is definitely overpowered not underpowered.

Brandon Ironblade Level 90

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
Aaron SpellThief on Oct 15, 2013 wrote:
Mana burn. Supernova. Judgement. Power nova. Must I go on? Balance is one of the best schools at the moment. If you want it to get more powerful, well, the promethean pvp will just be utterly dominated by balance wizards.
Storm: Tempest, Storm Lord, STORM OWL, Wild Bolt. Must I go on?
Life: Guardian Spirit, Gnomes, Dryad, Spinysaur. Must I go on?

I am not going to do all the schools, but you get the point. Also I don't think you COULD GO ON. I am balance, and to be honest those are our best spells no doubt, but "must I go on" makes it seems like balance has many more, as you say, "OP" spells. Were you thinking Ra? Well that isn't powerful compared to storm and even life since the damage is so close. What about Sabertooth, you couldn't of listed that, since Storm Owl got in there. I am not sure if you could "go on". You listed 4 spells that made balance an good school, what?! A school can't have more than four good spells? If you're asking about availing hands, that is a good spell too, but lots of balances have gotten a life mastery to use satyr with ah. So is balance one of the best schools at the moment, yea, it's probably tied with 4 other school though. For pvp, are balance wizards rising in the leaderboards, I've heard so. But, as long as I play pvp, there will always be one promethean private.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Wizgamer105 on Oct 19, 2013 wrote:
Storm: Tempest, Storm Lord, STORM OWL, Wild Bolt. Must I go on?
Life: Guardian Spirit, Gnomes, Dryad, Spinysaur. Must I go on?

I am not going to do all the schools, but you get the point. Also I don't think you COULD GO ON. I am balance, and to be honest those are our best spells no doubt, but "must I go on" makes it seems like balance has many more, as you say, "OP" spells. Were you thinking Ra? Well that isn't powerful compared to storm and even life since the damage is so close. What about Sabertooth, you couldn't of listed that, since Storm Owl got in there. I am not sure if you could "go on". You listed 4 spells that made balance an good school, what?! A school can't have more than four good spells? If you're asking about availing hands, that is a good spell too, but lots of balances have gotten a life mastery to use satyr with ah. So is balance one of the best schools at the moment, yea, it's probably tied with 4 other school though. For pvp, are balance wizards rising in the leaderboards, I've heard so. But, as long as I play pvp, there will always be one promethean private.
I'll do you the favor

Judgement
Supernova
Power Nova
Mana Burn
Savage Paw
Loremaster
Sabertooth
Availing/Helping hands (meaning they don't need life mastery, and can use a death or myth [EQ or D&G])

That's 9 spells. That's almost half their exclusive spells (out of 22). I'm probably forgetting 1 or 2 also.

Plus, you must also look at stats. You can't just look at spells. In which case, we'll obviously look at storm. Storm is currently a powerhouse, but balance is beating it easily.

Balance has more health, equal damage, maybe 80 less critical, more block, more resist, better in/out, more gear choices.

Although with the recent release of the new boots in the Nightmare pack, Death is kicking itself back up for those with some extra money. The 120 death critical boots are just not fair. They can get... Let's see...

150 from hat
90 from robe
120 from boots
135 from wand
100 from pet (4 critical talents... Glass cannons dont need resist)
Not including athame, amulet, or ring because that's a little unfair.
Otherwise we're adding another 70

So without athame, amulet, and ring: (death uses masteries, usually)
With the 3:
(Note, items are estimates, give or take 20)

So in my ranking...

1. Death
2. Balance
3. Fire
4. Storm
5. Ice
6. Myth
7. Life

Before Aquila I would say:
1. Ice
2. Myth
3. Balance
4. Death
5. Fire
6. Life
7. Storm

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
Rony The Turtle on Oct 22, 2013 wrote:
I'll do you the favor

Judgement
Supernova
Power Nova
Mana Burn
Savage Paw
Loremaster
Sabertooth
Availing/Helping hands (meaning they don't need life mastery, and can use a death or myth [EQ or D&G])

That's 9 spells. That's almost half their exclusive spells (out of 22). I'm probably forgetting 1 or 2 also.

Plus, you must also look at stats. You can't just look at spells. In which case, we'll obviously look at storm. Storm is currently a powerhouse, but balance is beating it easily.

Balance has more health, equal damage, maybe 80 less critical, more block, more resist, better in/out, more gear choices.

Although with the recent release of the new boots in the Nightmare pack, Death is kicking itself back up for those with some extra money. The 120 death critical boots are just not fair. They can get... Let's see...

150 from hat
90 from robe
120 from boots
135 from wand
100 from pet (4 critical talents... Glass cannons dont need resist)
Not including athame, amulet, or ring because that's a little unfair.
Otherwise we're adding another 70

So without athame, amulet, and ring: (death uses masteries, usually)
With the 3:
(Note, items are estimates, give or take 20)

So in my ranking...

1. Death
2. Balance
3. Fire
4. Storm
5. Ice
6. Myth
7. Life

Before Aquila I would say:
1. Ice
2. Myth
3. Balance
4. Death
5. Fire
6. Life
7. Storm
Savage paw you can only get from bosses, few of them, or crafting. ANYONE can craft these, and if those people want to throw in their amber (and other reagents that are hard or time consuming to obtain) then they deserve it. It is not taught by a balance prof. and is not part of questing. Loremaster spell, you can only get from the loremaster, it is also random, so people of every school could get it out of the blue, and then I guess they would be powerful, provided they have a balance amulet.

Sabertooth is awesome, but not worth putting it on the board. Storm's damage... let's not talk about storm. Ice's rank 10 spell hits for almost as much as Sabertooth, and also has an after-effect, that might be better/worse depending on your opinion, keep in mind ice is generally good at defense, and I have seen a post where someone even complained about their defense.

Helping hands is useless if you have availing hands. At one more pip, AH heals more, provided it is learned of course.

I do agree that balance stats, with gear, are powerful no doubt! Though ranking balance second I can't be sure about. I don't think life has fallen to the bottom, and ice nontheless is still up there. So I'd say balance is in the middle(3 or 4), of the general ranking list. Therefor, I do not think balance is "too" powerful, just powerful enough, with maybe a little extra. At least we agree on the rise of death.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
To anyone that wants to say that Balance is overpowered, think again.

Ok, here is the listing of the top Level 90 players (from last weekend) on
the boards (in the top 500 players), with their rank.

1. Ice 90, Ranked #1.
2. Myth 90, Ranked #65.
3. Ice 90, Ranked #98.
4. Ice 88, Ranked #134.
5. Fire 90, Ranked #135
6. Fire 90, Ranked #168
7. Life 90, Ranked #262
8. Life 90, Ranked #282
9. Storm 90, Ranked #283
10 Balance 90, Ranked only #295.
11 Life 90, Ranked #396
12 Storm 90, Ranked #441
13 Ice 90, Ranked #474
14 Life 90, Ranked #486

(The list above shows all level 90 in the top 500).
So, lets redo the chart on the top 500 data.

Ice = 4 = 28.5 percent.
Life = 4 = 28.5 percent.
Storm = 2 = 14.3 percent.
Fire = 2 = 14.3 percent.
Myth = 1 = 7.2 percent.
Balance = 1 = 7.2 percent.
Death = 0 = Zero percent.

Ice is over Powered, no question about it, they hold three top 4 positions.
Next comes Fire, they hold the next two and then Life holds the next two.
No question at all the ranking should go

1. Ice
2. Fire. or Life could go here I think.
3. Life
4. Storm
5. Myth
6. Balance
7. Death.

Justanoob.

Survivor
Feb 23, 2009
i think balance is awesome I have a max (lvl 90) who has a nice due of damage with 80 so I prefer if you want a pvp 90 balance you should get some of the new Aquila balance can be a combination of schools my wizard will help people with quests balance is good with PvE but when I do pvp with my max I lose so I think balance isn't that op unless you spend your training points very wisely and have good stuff to be a op

Survivor
Dec 08, 2012
I also think balance needs better attacks dont know what but balance needs it

Survivor
Mar 23, 2012
Balance is not under powered, it's not a spammer, it's not a turtle, it's everything. I have a balance level 90, and I literally went from decent defensive to decent spamming, I can be like a mini ice or a mini storm, and balance is supposed to be everything so it's just fine. The only thing I question is if it's supposed to be everything, where in the world is a drain hit, a over time, or a stun??? If balance is supposed to be everything, shouldn't it at least have one of each type of spell? Like single damage like storm, which it dose, but where's the dot like fire, life, death, myth, and ice? And where is the drain health from death? Although I can see the situation with only death having drains, but since balance is supposed to be everything... And the stun, fire,ice,storm, and myth have stun? Why not balance?

Defender
Apr 07, 2011
Jellybeans yummy on Nov 14, 2013 wrote:
Balance is not under powered, it's not a spammer, it's not a turtle, it's everything. I have a balance level 90, and I literally went from decent defensive to decent spamming, I can be like a mini ice or a mini storm, and balance is supposed to be everything so it's just fine. The only thing I question is if it's supposed to be everything, where in the world is a drain hit, a over time, or a stun??? If balance is supposed to be everything, shouldn't it at least have one of each type of spell? Like single damage like storm, which it dose, but where's the dot like fire, life, death, myth, and ice? And where is the drain health from death? Although I can see the situation with only death having drains, but since balance is supposed to be everything... And the stun, fire,ice,storm, and myth have stun? Why not balance?
Yeah a stun spell would be nice, something like
- deal 400 damage
- stun for 1 ruund
- mini black mantle (-35%)
- 8-9 pips

Explorer
Dec 21, 2009
Hi!
I'm setting this topic up to talk about the Balance School in PvP.

Though Balance can be a frail power at times recently two of Balance's spells give them the upper hand leaving the schools it faces weakened. These two abilities even can dull the power of it's own school! These abilities are Mana Burn and Supernova.

Mana Burn can stop an opponents in their tracks by taking away their pips and dealing damage for each one. It's hard to win if you're next to nothing on pips.
Supernova is an extremely strong spell, especially in lightning rounds. Supernova tears through auras and causes 535 damage for just two pips! The pip price of the spell makes it easy to repeatedly use it. Supernova, though unable to be used effectively at first, grows in effectiveness as the wizard's level increases making the spell a deadly weapon in high level PvP. The reason for this is that as we level up we need to use auras to cover weak spots in our stats. I personally believe K.I. made the equipment with lack in certain stats to improve on the importance of star spells.
When a Balance player combines these two spells in one deck they can become a very efficient warlord rather quickly if they fight certain high level battles with aura users.

Now it's time for you to add to this debate, are the Balance in PvP overpowered or underpowered? Tell me what you think.

-Noah

Defender
Jun 15, 2013
it depends on who the balance is, what cards they have, what level, ect. but usually balance is very good at pvp so i say its not overpowered or underpowered

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
noahdd on Jan 15, 2014 wrote:
Hi!

Though Balance can be a frail power at times recently two of Balance's spells give them the upper hand leaving the schools it faces weakened. These two abilities even can dull the power of it's own school! These abilities are Mana Burn and Supernova.

Mana Burn can stop an opponents in their tracks by taking away their pips and dealing damage for each one. It's hard to win if you're next to nothing on pips.
Supernova is an extremely strong spell, especially in lightning rounds. Supernova tears through auras and causes 535 damage for just two pips! The pip price of the spell makes it easy to repeatedly use it. Supernova, though unable to be used effectively at first, grows in effectiveness as the wizard's level increases making the spell a deadly weapon in high level PvP. The reason for this is that as we level up we need to use auras to cover weak spots in our stats. I personally believe K.I. made the equipment with lack in certain stats to improve on the importance of star spells.
When a Balance player combines these two spells in one deck they can become a very efficient warlord rather quickly if they fight certain high level battles with aura users.

Now it's time for you to add to this debate, are the Balance in PvP overpowered or underpowered? Tell me what you think.

-Noah
Personally, I'd have to say overpowered. There's an article duelist101 about this; to be honest, even though I have a balance, I wish that the avalon spells had been distributed evenly. Fire got backdraft and detonate, while balance got mana burn and supernova. 2 weak spells that hardly anyone uses in pvp, versus 2 amazing spells that are, to be honest, some of the best in the game. My balance, even though I am only level 50, and thus do not have these spells, still does great in pvp. I got up to over 2350 rating before I quit (and got temporarily banned for some reason) because of continuously battling level 95s. All in all, I'd have to say that balance is a bit overpowered.

Defender
Jul 26, 2009
Depends on the Meta. Balance Originally had an amazing high pip spell set, Which got Nerfed repeatedly. Infact, We're one of the worst level 60 schools. As a sorry for the late game nerfs, We got buffed to be more like a cross between myth and storm.

Comparing the damage abilities, our blades are terrible and are much closer to storms 30%. Our Damage on our spells later become higher, More of a death / Storm base. (Paw, Lore Master, Samoorai, Spectral Blast, Chimera) These spells are shut down with a shield, Just like storms is.

We're also close to myth the fact that our spells have high utility, (Lore Master, Nova, Mana Burn) This is the fact thats puting balance above average in the current meta. Under a defensive meta, Balance would be a weaker myth. The fact this utility is put with middle tier damage, Makes it potentially deadly.

If you compare lore master, or savage paw, They're on tier with the other schools rank 8, rank 9 spells giving balance an early game advantage. This advantage is doubled with the control cards Mana Burn and Super Nova. This allows the school to "Change the Rules" of what other people can do.

Now, with that foundation you can look at if the school is over powered. At level 95, there is a lack of a counter for balance. Balance is countered by the exact same play style that storm is, (Especially High Resist, And Shields) with high bladed defensive strategy. The Recent Nerfs to Ice's defensive strategy has made balance unchecked.

In Short, Depends how you build. Balance wins against the current set up successfully 8/10.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
noahdd on Jan 15, 2014 wrote:
Hi!

-Noah
i would normally agree that a spell is only as good as the caster, but some spells are just plain old useless, no matter how you slice it.

1) first of all, i am a max level balance wizard. everything i say after this is final.

2) mana burn is only good from second, since it doesn't actually stop your opponent from doing anything~ you can take their pips but, if you are in first, they still get to cast. so it's basically a freebie for your opponent. and it's not spammable... i can think of better ways to waste 5 pips.

3) supernova's accuracy is only 60%. that's less than a newbie storm wizard's thunder snake. and, unless it's been updated since khrysalis was released (i wouldn't know, i don't use it as i don't pvp anymore and it has no practical use in pve), it cannot be enchanted with infallible or colossal.

4) we're still underpowered;

the other schools have been given tools to counter our 'unblockable' spells, and yet we have no efficient way to counter those. we can't break or bypass shields, get rid of weakness with a wand, win a bubble war... because nothing benefits us exclusively. and, until something does, we'll be relegated to support status while the other schools suck up all the glory.

5) if you have any questions, refer to #1.

-v.

Explorer
Dec 23, 2010
Dr Von on Jan 19, 2014 wrote:
i would normally agree that a spell is only as good as the caster, but some spells are just plain old useless, no matter how you slice it.

1) first of all, i am a max level balance wizard. everything i say after this is final.

2) mana burn is only good from second, since it doesn't actually stop your opponent from doing anything~ you can take their pips but, if you are in first, they still get to cast. so it's basically a freebie for your opponent. and it's not spammable... i can think of better ways to waste 5 pips.

3) supernova's accuracy is only 60%. that's less than a newbie storm wizard's thunder snake. and, unless it's been updated since khrysalis was released (i wouldn't know, i don't use it as i don't pvp anymore and it has no practical use in pve), it cannot be enchanted with infallible or colossal.

the other schools have been given tools to counter our 'unblockable' spells, and yet we have no efficient way to counter those. we can't break or bypass shields, get rid of weakness with a wand, win a bubble war... because nothing benefits us exclusively. and, until something does, we'll be relegated to support status while the other schools suck up all the glory.

-v.
"If you have any questions, refer to #1"

Omg I cried. hahahaha!

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011

-v.
Balance wizards underpowered LOL. Mana burn is useful from second and first if you time it right and supernova's low accuracy can easily be increased from extraordinary or unstoppable. I have to say balance is a bit op but if the other schools (especially fire and storm) receive great crafting spells like lore master and savage paw it would be a bit more balanced. Still supernova has the ability to take another's AURA. Whenever I vs balance I never use an aura but yet they can use theirs.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
noahdd wrote
"When a Balance player combines these two spells in one deck they can become a very efficient warlord rather quickly if they fight certain high level battles with aura users."

To me, it really depends on what level you are talking about. A level 95 wizard does not have
the same advantage with these spells, as a lower level wizard 78, etc.
The spells alone will not be a given to make it to warlord, you need reasonable gear and a
good strategy.

Where I disagree with some, is that Mana burn is effective from second, but can also be a complete
waste, if you time it wrong. At least from first, you always take the pips.

Super Nova is, imo, the best spell that a Balance player has, it's very effective, and can be enchanted.
I use this in pvp constantly, and always keep one in hand, to stop that enhancement from going up.
For two pips, you can do over 500 damage against resist, a huge advantage if the enemy keeps trying to
put one up.

When these spells are timed, and mixed in with a solid set up deck, they can certainly help, even
at level 95.

(I have multiple Balance that I pvp on, from level 5 to level 95).

Just my thoughts.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011

-v.
There are many ways to break shields for any school. The easiest for balance, which I used to get from around 950-1300 rank, is fire elf. Shatter, pierce, and high damage DoTs are other counters for shields. Mana burn can be used to lock the opponent out of a high pip attack if they are a blade stacking type of person, or to make it near impossible to reshuffle. Supernova is one of the most overpowered spells in the game. 2 pips, and can be enchanted with accuracy enchants, boosted by damage, and it can go critical. My balance currently uses a myth mastery amulet, basilisk for damage and removing shields, earth for removing blades. It works quite well, although that is at level 50. Loremaster, savage paw, and judgement can be critical spammed for huge amounts of damage. Balance can be very, very strong if used correctly.