Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

balance is overpowered

AuthorMessage
Hero
Dec 16, 2009
773
Dr Von on Jan 19, 2014 wrote:
i would normally agree that a spell is only as good as the caster, but some spells are just plain old useless, no matter how you slice it.

1) first of all, i am a max level balance wizard. everything i say after this is final.

2) mana burn is only good from second, since it doesn't actually stop your opponent from doing anything~ you can take their pips but, if you are in first, they still get to cast. so it's basically a freebie for your opponent. and it's not spammable... i can think of better ways to waste 5 pips.

3) supernova's accuracy is only 60%. that's less than a newbie storm wizard's thunder snake. and, unless it's been updated since khrysalis was released (i wouldn't know, i don't use it as i don't pvp anymore and it has no practical use in pve), it cannot be enchanted with infallible or colossal.

4) we're still underpowered;

the other schools have been given tools to counter our 'unblockable' spells, and yet we have no efficient way to counter those. we can't break or bypass shields, get rid of weakness with a wand, win a bubble war... because nothing benefits us exclusively. and, until something does, we'll be relegated to support status while the other schools suck up all the glory.

5) if you have any questions, refer to #1.

-v.
95
If you are a max lvl balance wizard and think it's underpowered at lvl 95 PvP, you may not be playing to it's strenghts. Balance is the dominant school at 95 and is the school with the most wizards on the leaderboards at 95. Mana burn is a great combo breaker, limiter and it deals damage. It is a good preemptive strike that limits your opponents options whether they cast a spell or not.

Supernova can and is enhanceable via either collossal or extraordinary. Combine this with infallible, a balance's accuracy gear and supernova becomes very reliable. Furthermore, even the threat of supernova often preempts other schools from using star magic(an entire school), a massive advantage to balance.

With spells like Loremaster, Savage paw, Supernova and mana burn I am really having trouble seeing balance as underpowered.

At lvl 95 the amount of pierce present means that balance can almost completely preempt its only shield. In fact balance is the only school whose damage is unshieldable with shrike up. In conclusion, balance is far from underpowered.

Survivor
Feb 07, 2009
9
I have a level 50 balance so I know from experience.

Balance is a special school. Different from all the others as it has no shield against it/blade/trap (balance blade/hex is universal). Balance has no weakness, but no strength. It can be the weakest school or the strongest school it all depends on how you use it. Balance has spells that can if used right can change the rules of battle. It really isn't overpowered because it has no strength unlike other schools.

Mark 50
Kane BattleFist21
Alex Rider30

Explorer
Aug 25, 2012
66
Dr Von on Jan 19, 2014 wrote:
i would normally agree that a spell is only as good as the caster, but some spells are just plain old useless, no matter how you slice it.

1) first of all, i am a max level balance wizard. everything i say after this is final.

2) mana burn is only good from second, since it doesn't actually stop your opponent from doing anything~ you can take their pips but, if you are in first, they still get to cast. so it's basically a freebie for your opponent. and it's not spammable... i can think of better ways to waste 5 pips.

3) supernova's accuracy is only 60%. that's less than a newbie storm wizard's thunder snake. and, unless it's been updated since khrysalis was released (i wouldn't know, i don't use it as i don't pvp anymore and it has no practical use in pve), it cannot be enchanted with infallible or colossal.

4) we're still underpowered;

the other schools have been given tools to counter our 'unblockable' spells, and yet we have no efficient way to counter those. we can't break or bypass shields, get rid of weakness with a wand, win a bubble war... because nothing benefits us exclusively. and, until something does, we'll be relegated to support status while the other schools suck up all the glory.

5) if you have any questions, refer to #1.

-v.
95
I would actually have to disagree with you about mana burn. I tend to like to use mana burn from first, since the damage so more garenteed, than if you are going second and you'll need to time it right.

If they were going to use their pips anyways, then why not give them some damage while they are doing so? I don't think it's giving them a "freebie". Plus, if the spell they were using costed more pips than the amount that they have after burn, then it uses up all those leftover pips.

For example, I'm going first against a storm. I was using mana burn when the storm had 4 power pips. The storm took some damage and lost 3 power pips. Then the storm used triton-which costs 3 power pips, but since the storm only has 1 power pip, it uses that up. That means that next round they won't have the 2 power pips they should have if I didn't mana burn. Or you can think of it this way too: use the same situation as described. Except instead of triton, the storm uses levy. (and obviously, when I mana burned, it damaged the storm a bit). if the storm was going to use up his/her pips anyways, why not have them take some damage?

~Austin Shadowsword

Promethean Knight

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2929
Eric Stormbringer on Jan 19, 2014 wrote:
If you are a max lvl balance wizard and think it's underpowered at lvl 95 PvP, you may not be playing to it's strenghts. Balance is the dominant school at 95 and is the school with the most wizards on the leaderboards at 95. Mana burn is a great combo breaker, limiter and it deals damage. It is a good preemptive strike that limits your opponents options whether they cast a spell or not.

Supernova can and is enhanceable via either collossal or extraordinary. Combine this with infallible, a balance's accuracy gear and supernova becomes very reliable. Furthermore, even the threat of supernova often preempts other schools from using star magic(an entire school), a massive advantage to balance.

With spells like Loremaster, Savage paw, Supernova and mana burn I am really having trouble seeing balance as underpowered.

At lvl 95 the amount of pierce present means that balance can almost completely preempt its only shield. In fact balance is the only school whose damage is unshieldable with shrike up. In conclusion, balance is far from underpowered.
Oh, it's not just pvp~ I find balance stupidly underpowered in every aspect.

My stats are far superior to most other balance wizards' stats. But that doesn't matter when I can't break weakness or shields without losing all of my buffs (even though I can do 5K through a tower shield, no infallible or blades required): something that the other schools have been able to do from the get-go. And why would I waste all of my buffs on fire elves, especially if I don't have a mastery amulet? It doesn't make any sense.

1) supernova must be a recent change; when Avalon was released (first/only time I have ever used it), it could not be enchanted with anything.

2) i have 94% accuracy and still fizzle 4-5 times in a row. We can't get accuracy boosts without a massive sacrifice to other stats (like resist and block).

3) the average balance wizard does not have access to things like savage paw and loremaster;

i *did* craft savage paw, for the simple fact that i was bored and had nothing better to do; i lack the time and patience to farm for something i have a 1/1000 chance of ever getting... i can't even get my level 90 gear, for crying out loud.

4) shrike does not make us unblockable;

your math assumes that the player across from me has no resist. if i have shrike up, and the other person has 50% resist, shrike will not pierce all of it~ my attack will be at 50% of 50%. And, if shields are involved, it just gets messier from there. it does not cancel out the other person's resist, or weakness.

(in my grade-school math book, there was an analogy about a kid and a baseball glove. glove was marked down by 50%; later, it was marked down another 50%, which the kid assumes makes it free... not so, and the same applies here)

-

at the high levels, it's hard to get ahead if you aren't already. it's the wizard version of not being able to get a job, because you can't get experience, because you can't get a job, because you can't get experience... except that you don't have the elite gear and therefore can't get it, because you can't rank up and therefore can't get the elite gear that's needed to rank up... and on and on, like an infinite loop.

i gave up pvp for 3 reasons: 1) i refuse to spend money on it, 2) the arena reeks of arrogance, and 3) at my level, there is no room for someone who is just starting out; most people ranked up (or bought their way there) at an incredibly-low level and already have the pvp elite gear and uber pet. i have never faced a level 90+ private: all of my opponents are commander or higher, and i will never rank up because i can't beat someone with stats that easily trump anything i will ever have. that said, i have beaten warlords and commanders, but it's mostly because they assume that they're better than me.

i could probably make a new wizard, buy some overpowered crowns stuff, and be a warlord within about 15 minutes, then never pvp again. easy peasy. but i have too much self-respect to cheat the system, however broken it may be.

-v.

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
318
Dr Von on Jan 24, 2014 wrote:
Oh, it's not just pvp~ I find balance stupidly underpowered in every aspect.

My stats are far superior to most other balance wizards' stats. But that doesn't matter when I can't break weakness or shields without losing all of my buffs (even though I can do 5K through a tower shield, no infallible or blades required): something that the other schools have been able to do from the get-go. And why would I waste all of my buffs on fire elves, especially if I don't have a mastery amulet? It doesn't make any sense.

1) supernova must be a recent change; when Avalon was released (first/only time I have ever used it), it could not be enchanted with anything.

2) i have 94% accuracy and still fizzle 4-5 times in a row. We can't get accuracy boosts without a massive sacrifice to other stats (like resist and block).

3) the average balance wizard does not have access to things like savage paw and loremaster;

i *did* craft savage paw, for the simple fact that i was bored and had nothing better to do; i lack the time and patience to farm for something i have a 1/1000 chance of ever getting... i can't even get my level 90 gear, for crying out loud.

4) shrike does not make us unblockable;

your math assumes that the player across from me has no resist. if i have shrike up, and the other person has 50% resist, shrike will not pierce all of it~ my attack will be at 50% of 50%. And, if shields are involved, it just gets messier from there. it does not cancel out the other person's resist, or weakness.

(in my grade-school math book, there was an analogy about a kid and a baseball glove. glove was marked down by 50%; later, it was marked down another 50%, which the kid assumes makes it free... not so, and the same applies here)

-

at the high levels, it's hard to get ahead if you aren't already. it's the wizard version of not being able to get a job, because you can't get experience, because you can't get a job, because you can't get experience... except that you don't have the elite gear and therefore can't get it, because you can't rank up and therefore can't get the elite gear that's needed to rank up... and on and on, like an infinite loop.

i gave up pvp for 3 reasons: 1) i refuse to spend money on it, 2) the arena reeks of arrogance, and 3) at my level, there is no room for someone who is just starting out; most people ranked up (or bought their way there) at an incredibly-low level and already have the pvp elite gear and uber pet. i have never faced a level 90+ private: all of my opponents are commander or higher, and i will never rank up because i can't beat someone with stats that easily trump anything i will ever have. that said, i have beaten warlords and commanders, but it's mostly because they assume that they're better than me.

i could probably make a new wizard, buy some overpowered crowns stuff, and be a warlord within about 15 minutes, then never pvp again. easy peasy. but i have too much self-respect to cheat the system, however broken it may be.

-v.
Supernova is what it is and it's op. If you're fizzling 4-5 times in a row with 94% accuracy your opponent must be putting accuracy debufs on you. You say the average balance wizard doesn't have lore master or savage paw? Ya right every balance I know or met at max lvl has them, plus balance has access to them and it's no one else's problem if the balance doesn't want to get them. Everyone has problems with shrike not just you or balance wizards. I will say it again balance is not underpowered.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
449
Dr Von on Jan 24, 2014 wrote:
Oh, it's not just pvp~ I find balance stupidly underpowered in every aspect.

My stats are far superior to most other balance wizards' stats. But that doesn't matter when I can't break weakness or shields without losing all of my buffs (even though I can do 5K through a tower shield, no infallible or blades required): something that the other schools have been able to do from the get-go. And why would I waste all of my buffs on fire elves, especially if I don't have a mastery amulet? It doesn't make any sense.

1) supernova must be a recent change; when Avalon was released (first/only time I have ever used it), it could not be enchanted with anything.

2) i have 94% accuracy and still fizzle 4-5 times in a row. We can't get accuracy boosts without a massive sacrifice to other stats (like resist and block).

3) the average balance wizard does not have access to things like savage paw and loremaster;

i *did* craft savage paw, for the simple fact that i was bored and had nothing better to do; i lack the time and patience to farm for something i have a 1/1000 chance of ever getting... i can't even get my level 90 gear, for crying out loud.

4) shrike does not make us unblockable;

your math assumes that the player across from me has no resist. if i have shrike up, and the other person has 50% resist, shrike will not pierce all of it~ my attack will be at 50% of 50%. And, if shields are involved, it just gets messier from there. it does not cancel out the other person's resist, or weakness.

(in my grade-school math book, there was an analogy about a kid and a baseball glove. glove was marked down by 50%; later, it was marked down another 50%, which the kid assumes makes it free... not so, and the same applies here)

-

at the high levels, it's hard to get ahead if you aren't already. it's the wizard version of not being able to get a job, because you can't get experience, because you can't get a job, because you can't get experience... except that you don't have the elite gear and therefore can't get it, because you can't rank up and therefore can't get the elite gear that's needed to rank up... and on and on, like an infinite loop.

i gave up pvp for 3 reasons: 1) i refuse to spend money on it, 2) the arena reeks of arrogance, and 3) at my level, there is no room for someone who is just starting out; most people ranked up (or bought their way there) at an incredibly-low level and already have the pvp elite gear and uber pet. i have never faced a level 90+ private: all of my opponents are commander or higher, and i will never rank up because i can't beat someone with stats that easily trump anything i will ever have. that said, i have beaten warlords and commanders, but it's mostly because they assume that they're better than me.

i could probably make a new wizard, buy some overpowered crowns stuff, and be a warlord within about 15 minutes, then never pvp again. easy peasy. but i have too much self-respect to cheat the system, however broken it may be.

-v.
Firstly, at level 90, crowns and pvp gear is really not necessary. I have seen many builds that have no crowns gear. As for fire elf, one, I was referring to when I did magus pvp. Two, it's fairly simple to just double blade and still have buffs after using fire elf. And also, I really don't know if this would work at max level pvp. I have only played ice and fire at promethean, and my fire has still barely started khrysalis. To be honest, if you're battling commanders or warlords, they are lower level, so it will be just as easy, if not easier, of a match then battling a private your level. They may have better resist, but you will have much better spells, pierce, damage, critical, and block. Finally, it is not that simple to get to be a low level warlord. At level, say, 5, it is fairly easy to just triton and use enchanted 1 and 2 pip spells to rank up, but the time it takes to get into a match will still make it probably take at least an hour or 2.

Hero
Dec 16, 2009
773
Dr Von on Jan 24, 2014 wrote:
Oh, it's not just pvp~ I find balance stupidly underpowered in every aspect.

My stats are far superior to most other balance wizards' stats. But that doesn't matter when I can't break weakness or shields without losing all of my buffs (even though I can do 5K through a tower shield, no infallible or blades required): something that the other schools have been able to do from the get-go. And why would I waste all of my buffs on fire elves, especially if I don't have a mastery amulet? It doesn't make any sense.

1) supernova must be a recent change; when Avalon was released (first/only time I have ever used it), it could not be enchanted with anything.

2) i have 94% accuracy and still fizzle 4-5 times in a row. We can't get accuracy boosts without a massive sacrifice to other stats (like resist and block).

3) the average balance wizard does not have access to things like savage paw and loremaster;

i *did* craft savage paw, for the simple fact that i was bored and had nothing better to do; i lack the time and patience to farm for something i have a 1/1000 chance of ever getting... i can't even get my level 90 gear, for crying out loud.

4) shrike does not make us unblockable;

your math assumes that the player across from me has no resist. if i have shrike up, and the other person has 50% resist, shrike will not pierce all of it~ my attack will be at 50% of 50%. And, if shields are involved, it just gets messier from there. it does not cancel out the other person's resist, or weakness.

(in my grade-school math book, there was an analogy about a kid and a baseball glove. glove was marked down by 50%; later, it was marked down another 50%, which the kid assumes makes it free... not so, and the same applies here)

-

at the high levels, it's hard to get ahead if you aren't already. it's the wizard version of not being able to get a job, because you can't get experience, because you can't get a job, because you can't get experience... except that you don't have the elite gear and therefore can't get it, because you can't rank up and therefore can't get the elite gear that's needed to rank up... and on and on, like an infinite loop.

i gave up pvp for 3 reasons: 1) i refuse to spend money on it, 2) the arena reeks of arrogance, and 3) at my level, there is no room for someone who is just starting out; most people ranked up (or bought their way there) at an incredibly-low level and already have the pvp elite gear and uber pet. i have never faced a level 90+ private: all of my opponents are commander or higher, and i will never rank up because i can't beat someone with stats that easily trump anything i will ever have. that said, i have beaten warlords and commanders, but it's mostly because they assume that they're better than me.

i could probably make a new wizard, buy some overpowered crowns stuff, and be a warlord within about 15 minutes, then never pvp again. easy peasy. but i have too much self-respect to cheat the system, however broken it may be.

-v.
The price of universal blades and buffs is paid for by the fact that they are incredibly fragile. I can't comment with very much knowledge on the PvE enviroment but I have seen some very successful balance wizards in PvE. That being said I can still address other components of your arguments:
1) I can't place a timeline on when supernova was changed. However, I think you will be pleasantly surprised to find that supernova is enhanceable today and is very useful in both PvP and now PvE since monsters have grown fond of auras.

2)That's some seriously bad luck there. I recommend infallible if that trend continues.

3) I can agree with that I suppose. That does not change the fact that the tools do exist if you are willing to go after them. It is a consistent principal that the more you put in the more you get out.

4) I didn't state that shrike makes you unblockable, I stated that shrike allows you to completely overwrite your only shield. That being said, your understanding of pierce is flawed: if your opponent has 50% resist and you use shrike you will pierce all of his resist away. Similarly if an opponent places a tower shield and you use shrike you will pierce the shield down to 0. I urge you to try this as experience is the best teacher.

At the max lvl the best gear with the exception of wands isn't "PvP elite gear"(assuming you are refering to gear bought with arena tickets) but rather the farmable Hades gear and it's companion sets.
I am sorry you had bad experiences in the arena, as with anywhere there is a fair portion of arrogant, self absorbed players. However, there are good people in the arena. I hope that if you decide to continue your PvP adventures you will get to meet them.

Survivor
May 26, 2012
33
Moderately high health, charms, wards, lots of attack power.

What more do you want? A pet cat? I guess that is understandable...

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4120
Dr Von on Jan 24, 2014 wrote:
Oh, it's not just pvp~ I find balance stupidly underpowered in every aspect.

My stats are far superior to most other balance wizards' stats. But that doesn't matter when I can't break weakness or shields without losing all of my buffs (even though I can do 5K through a tower shield, no infallible or blades required): something that the other schools have been able to do from the get-go. And why would I waste all of my buffs on fire elves, especially if I don't have a mastery amulet? It doesn't make any sense.

1) supernova must be a recent change; when Avalon was released (first/only time I have ever used it), it could not be enchanted with anything.

2) i have 94% accuracy and still fizzle 4-5 times in a row. We can't get accuracy boosts without a massive sacrifice to other stats (like resist and block).

3) the average balance wizard does not have access to things like savage paw and loremaster;

i *did* craft savage paw, for the simple fact that i was bored and had nothing better to do; i lack the time and patience to farm for something i have a 1/1000 chance of ever getting... i can't even get my level 90 gear, for crying out loud.

4) shrike does not make us unblockable;

your math assumes that the player across from me has no resist. if i have shrike up, and the other person has 50% resist, shrike will not pierce all of it~ my attack will be at 50% of 50%. And, if shields are involved, it just gets messier from there. it does not cancel out the other person's resist, or weakness.

(in my grade-school math book, there was an analogy about a kid and a baseball glove. glove was marked down by 50%; later, it was marked down another 50%, which the kid assumes makes it free... not so, and the same applies here)

-

at the high levels, it's hard to get ahead if you aren't already. it's the wizard version of not being able to get a job, because you can't get experience, because you can't get a job, because you can't get experience... except that you don't have the elite gear and therefore can't get it, because you can't rank up and therefore can't get the elite gear that's needed to rank up... and on and on, like an infinite loop.

i gave up pvp for 3 reasons: 1) i refuse to spend money on it, 2) the arena reeks of arrogance, and 3) at my level, there is no room for someone who is just starting out; most people ranked up (or bought their way there) at an incredibly-low level and already have the pvp elite gear and uber pet. i have never faced a level 90+ private: all of my opponents are commander or higher, and i will never rank up because i can't beat someone with stats that easily trump anything i will ever have. that said, i have beaten warlords and commanders, but it's mostly because they assume that they're better than me.

i could probably make a new wizard, buy some overpowered crowns stuff, and be a warlord within about 15 minutes, then never pvp again. easy peasy. but i have too much self-respect to cheat the system, however broken it may be.

-v.
"4) shrike does not make us unblockable;

your math assumes that the player across from me has no resist. if i have shrike up, and the other person has 50% resist, shrike will not pierce all of it~ my attack will be at 50% of 50%. And, if shields are involved, it just gets messier from there. it does not cancel out the other person's resist, or weakness.

(in my grade-school math book, there was an analogy about a kid and a baseball glove. glove was marked down by 50%; later, it was marked down another 50%, which the kid assumes makes it free... not so, and the same applies here)"

You really lost your argument there. Shrike actually DOES work like that. If someone has a 50% resist and you use Shrike, it reduces it to 0% resist, NOT 50% of 50% which is 25%. It's PIERCE. It directly subtracts from the opponent's resist/shields. It's not like Blades/Traps that just add to your attack. If you use Shrike against a tower shield and have no other pierce stat, the "resist" number on the attack will show 0, exactly as expected.

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2929
stormninja542 on Jan 24, 2014 wrote:
Supernova is what it is and it's op. If you're fizzling 4-5 times in a row with 94% accuracy your opponent must be putting accuracy debufs on you. You say the average balance wizard doesn't have lore master or savage paw? Ya right every balance I know or met at max lvl has them, plus balance has access to them and it's no one else's problem if the balance doesn't want to get them. Everyone has problems with shrike not just you or balance wizards. I will say it again balance is not underpowered.
1) supernova is not op, just like dispels, shatter, enfeeble, or ice's immunity;

2) the fizzles are a problem in pve as well, and many people have reported increased fizzle rates since khrysalis was released;

3) you just met a max-level balance wizard without all of those spells.

those are spells that require you to a) spend countless hours farming/gardening or b) spend stupid amounts of crowns to get them from the packs. as an adult player, i have different priorities than someone under the age of 18 (which, from the tone of your post, i assume you are): i have a full-time job, relationships, rent and bills to pay... i cannot afford to waste 6-8 hours/day on stuff like this, and quitting my job so i have the time required to get these items is not realistic or responsible.

4) don't assume~ your parents did teach you what that does, right?


Survivor
May 26, 2012
16
Okay, I have a few things I would like to say.

First of all, if you see a balance use SuperNova, you should be smart enough not to put up any more auras. Second, as said before it's chance is only 60%, and remember it can only be used if someone has an aura on, otherwise the card is just a waste of space, so just don't put on auras, it's not that hard to do.

Second, Mana Burn is not always that helpful from second. I PvPed a balance who used it and went second, so I kept track of his pips and when he had five I used all my pips or most of them, so then when he used Mana Burn it did nothing but waste his own pips, or it did only 100 damage with 1-2 pips. Once you see that a Balance has Mana Burn, just do your best to get around it and keep better track of their pips so you can guess when they might use it.

Third, currently I believe no schools are overpowered. Balance is difficult to defend against because for most spells you only have tower shields sure, but treasure card tower shields can be spammed while our blades are much lower than the normal blade power for the other schools (even storm) and are completely unreliable because they come off with any spell, including wands, so you never have to worry about a balance blading up for an attack because if you shield their blades are pretty much useless. Yes balance has some good spells, but we have no overtime to deal with shield spams, and there are most definitely good strategies for fighting balance wizards.

So yeah, thanks for reading and I hope that helps c:

-Maria

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
318
Dr Von on Jan 25, 2014 wrote:
1) supernova is not op, just like dispels, shatter, enfeeble, or ice's immunity;

2) the fizzles are a problem in pve as well, and many people have reported increased fizzle rates since khrysalis was released;

3) you just met a max-level balance wizard without all of those spells.

those are spells that require you to a) spend countless hours farming/gardening or b) spend stupid amounts of crowns to get them from the packs. as an adult player, i have different priorities than someone under the age of 18 (which, from the tone of your post, i assume you are): i have a full-time job, relationships, rent and bills to pay... i cannot afford to waste 6-8 hours/day on stuff like this, and quitting my job so i have the time required to get these items is not realistic or responsible.

4) don't assume~ your parents did teach you what that does, right?

Supernova takes another's aura away and deals a ton of damage. Balance can use auras but their opponent can't, how fair is that? Everyone has issues with fizzles. If you can't farm for the spells then don't complain about balance being weak just to give yourself an easy edge. I believe my parents did tell me not to assume as I did not assume you had the lore spells.

Explorer
Jun 22, 2010
56
really
i thinkis over powered, and your saying it's UNDER powered.
well, it probably matters by wizard type.

Survivor
Jan 31, 2009
1
I would say that late game balance is a little op, but in the original 1st arc they aren't nearly as effective. they only thing i would change about balance is change their elemental shields and spirit shields to 60% resist rather than 50%, because they are currently outclassed completely by tower shield, which protects just as much but to all schools.

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2929
stormninja542 on Jan 25, 2014 wrote:
Supernova takes another's aura away and deals a ton of damage. Balance can use auras but their opponent can't, how fair is that? Everyone has issues with fizzles. If you can't farm for the spells then don't complain about balance being weak just to give yourself an easy edge. I believe my parents did tell me not to assume as I did not assume you had the lore spells.
Sorry, try again.

Yes, we can get rid of auras. But we don't have a DoT or a prism, plus we can't stun and have no way to get rid of weakness or shields without losing all of our blades. Our opponents can do all of that, and have been able to since day one. If you can explain to me how that's fair, then you may have a case.

And yeah, you kinda did assume:

You say the average balance wizard doesn't have lore master or savage paw? Ya right every balance I know or met at max lvl has them, plus balance has access to them and it's no one else's problem if the balance doesn't want to get them.

Read your post again. You clearly state that every balance wizard you've ever met has those spells and that anyone who doesn't is lazy. Do I want to get them? Yes. Is it practical? Maybe for someone who has tons of free time, but not when that person has other priorities (like real life~ you'll understand when you're older and have to pay for your own internet access, etc.).

FYI: I *have* farmed for the spells, many times, and come up empty. Free time is hard enough to come by as it is... why would I waste what little I have on a chance-to-get?

Oh, to be young and living with my parents again!

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
318
Dr Von on Jan 29, 2014 wrote:
Sorry, try again.

Yes, we can get rid of auras. But we don't have a DoT or a prism, plus we can't stun and have no way to get rid of weakness or shields without losing all of our blades. Our opponents can do all of that, and have been able to since day one. If you can explain to me how that's fair, then you may have a case.

And yeah, you kinda did assume:

You say the average balance wizard doesn't have lore master or savage paw? Ya right every balance I know or met at max lvl has them, plus balance has access to them and it's no one else's problem if the balance doesn't want to get them.

Read your post again. You clearly state that every balance wizard you've ever met has those spells and that anyone who doesn't is lazy. Do I want to get them? Yes. Is it practical? Maybe for someone who has tons of free time, but not when that person has other priorities (like real life~ you'll understand when you're older and have to pay for your own internet access, etc.).

FYI: I *have* farmed for the spells, many times, and come up empty. Free time is hard enough to come by as it is... why would I waste what little I have on a chance-to-get?

Oh, to be young and living with my parents again!
Balance doesn't have an opposite so of course they don't have prisms but unlike other schools the only shield that can protect you from their attacks is tower shield. With shrike, a tower shield can be easily pierced to zero percent. Even if the average balance doesn't have savage paw and loremaster it still is available to them. The average lvl 95 balance does have supernova and mana burn which are probably the best avalon spells.You say a younger player has more free time and enough time to farm for those lore spells. That's assuming btw and yes I am a younger player and live with my parents, but being in high school and all I sometimes don't even have time to log on wizard101 at least once a day. So yea don't assume every kid has enough time.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
449
Dr Von on Jan 29, 2014 wrote:
Sorry, try again.

Yes, we can get rid of auras. But we don't have a DoT or a prism, plus we can't stun and have no way to get rid of weakness or shields without losing all of our blades. Our opponents can do all of that, and have been able to since day one. If you can explain to me how that's fair, then you may have a case.

And yeah, you kinda did assume:

You say the average balance wizard doesn't have lore master or savage paw? Ya right every balance I know or met at max lvl has them, plus balance has access to them and it's no one else's problem if the balance doesn't want to get them.

Read your post again. You clearly state that every balance wizard you've ever met has those spells and that anyone who doesn't is lazy. Do I want to get them? Yes. Is it practical? Maybe for someone who has tons of free time, but not when that person has other priorities (like real life~ you'll understand when you're older and have to pay for your own internet access, etc.).

FYI: I *have* farmed for the spells, many times, and come up empty. Free time is hard enough to come by as it is... why would I waste what little I have on a chance-to-get?

Oh, to be young and living with my parents again!
Balance may not be able to remove shields easily, stun, or have a prism, but it has many other advantages. It can easily do a large heal with availing hands. Scorpion spam along with doom can be a deadly strategy. Balance can blade every school, allowing it to much more easily make better use of secondary schools than other schools can hope to. It can only be shielded with tower, which is 50-70% (depending on if it's an item card, tc, etc...) allowing balance to much more easily pierce through shields. Even infallible and base pierce allow balance, with the right gear, to pierce through most of an opponent's resist. Mana burn and supernova make balance deadly, forcing the opponent to attack at low pips and avoid using star spells. Loremaster allows the player to attack and defend at the same time, provided that the player has enough time and persistance to farm for it. Savage paw allows the player to do a decent amount of damage and buff at the same time, which is a great capability to have. Just be thankful that you're not ice. In the current pvp system, ice doesn't really have any advantages anymore. Resistance pierced, critical block laughable, weaker, spells, less damage, less critical. Balance, currently, is one of the best schools, if not the best.

Delver
Jan 31, 2012
226
bran4971 on Oct 18, 2013 wrote:
At level 90 balance has the most wizards on the top 1000 leaderboard so balance is definitely overpowered not underpowered.

Brandon Ironblade Level 90
They are only over power when they use tc cards only.

Survivor
Aug 19, 2012
24
Balance is way overpowered in high level pvp. With hades gear a balance can simply cast lore master every to rounds hitting you for well over one thousand every round. Even if you have great resist and block, the fizzle and minus twenty charm will weaken you to you lose. Yes, there are counters, but the counters literally require a deck to be built for balance specifically, which you can't use or you would lose to every other school.

Don't believe it? Just go count the number of level ninety and above schools other than balance at the top of the leader and tournament boards. Its not even close, life is up there, but balance is by far the easiest. Just lore master, lore master, burn, lore master lore master burn and you win. Especially from first. They are way OP.

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2929
stormninja542 on Jan 29, 2014 wrote:
Balance doesn't have an opposite so of course they don't have prisms but unlike other schools the only shield that can protect you from their attacks is tower shield. With shrike, a tower shield can be easily pierced to zero percent. Even if the average balance doesn't have savage paw and loremaster it still is available to them. The average lvl 95 balance does have supernova and mana burn which are probably the best avalon spells.You say a younger player has more free time and enough time to farm for those lore spells. That's assuming btw and yes I am a younger player and live with my parents, but being in high school and all I sometimes don't even have time to log on wizard101 at least once a day. So yea don't assume every kid has enough time.
LOL, nope. I didn't assume anything.

Children do not have to support themselves financially. They have their parents or other adult relatives for that, ergo they do not have to work or commit to anything outside of school. They also don't have the social or family obligations that an adult does. You are not responsible for anything beyond yourself, therefore a younger player has more free time.

Yes, we all have those spells available. But that's not what you said in your post: you said that everyone you know has them and that anyone who doesn't have them is lazy. And nowhere in there did you say anything about the Avalon spells... Either get your thought process straight or own up to the fact that you messed up.

These are the cold, hard facts, my friend. Try again.

(@Aaron~ I would much rather be ice, because an infallible/Shrike combo- if it works the way you say it does- can only pierce 50% of their immunity, leaving them with still another 40-50% resist)

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
318
Dr Von on Feb 3, 2014 wrote:
LOL, nope. I didn't assume anything.

Children do not have to support themselves financially. They have their parents or other adult relatives for that, ergo they do not have to work or commit to anything outside of school. They also don't have the social or family obligations that an adult does. You are not responsible for anything beyond yourself, therefore a younger player has more free time.

Yes, we all have those spells available. But that's not what you said in your post: you said that everyone you know has them and that anyone who doesn't have them is lazy. And nowhere in there did you say anything about the Avalon spells... Either get your thought process straight or own up to the fact that you messed up.

These are the cold, hard facts, my friend. Try again.

(@Aaron~ I would much rather be ice, because an infallible/Shrike combo- if it works the way you say it does- can only pierce 50% of their immunity, leaving them with still another 40-50% resist)
You know I don't care if younger players have more free time than older players. Balance has a lot of op spells and that's final. Btw BOTH your avalon spells and lore master spells are op, that is what I am saying. Balance is op with those spells and that's a fact you need to own up to. In all of your posts you have not stated one reason why your avalon and lore master spells aren't op. So, first why don't you tell me why lore master isn't op. I can tell you why it is. Loremaster costs 4 pips, does 390-470 balance damage, put a -35% black mantle, and -20% weakness on opponent. Now krampus costs 4 pips too except it's a fire spell which should do more damage. It does 305-345 fire damage (less damage), -45% black mantle (a little better accuracy debuff), and doesn't have second side effect. Anyone with a half brain would know lore master is a better spell. Now, tell me why lore master isn't op.

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2929
stormninja542 on Feb 3, 2014 wrote:
You know I don't care if younger players have more free time than older players. Balance has a lot of op spells and that's final. Btw BOTH your avalon spells and lore master spells are op, that is what I am saying. Balance is op with those spells and that's a fact you need to own up to. In all of your posts you have not stated one reason why your avalon and lore master spells aren't op. So, first why don't you tell me why lore master isn't op. I can tell you why it is. Loremaster costs 4 pips, does 390-470 balance damage, put a -35% black mantle, and -20% weakness on opponent. Now krampus costs 4 pips too except it's a fire spell which should do more damage. It does 305-345 fire damage (less damage), -45% black mantle (a little better accuracy debuff), and doesn't have second side effect. Anyone with a half brain would know lore master is a better spell. Now, tell me why lore master isn't op.
"Anyone with a half brain would know lore master is a better spell."

Ah yes, the straw man. When your argument fails, attack the other person instead... how very mature of you. But I digress.

In my initial post, I explained exactly why the Avalon spells are not overpowered. Mana Burn is a freebie cast for your opponent, and supernova has less accuracy than a newbie storm wizard's thunder snake. End of conversation.

But then, you brought Loremaster into it when you said that everyone has it and, when I pointed that your assumption was incorrect, you said I was lazy for not having it. That was the extent of the discussion, and has been since you keep insisting that anyone who doesn't waste every spare hour she has on this dungeon is lazy or stupid.

In any case, you have effectively proven that you are either incapable of being civil, or are simply unwilling to. When you can demonstrate otherwise, we will talk; until them, I have nothing more to say to you.

Delver
Mar 29, 2012
221
I would just like to state for the record. I am a grown-up, working, mom of three. Aged 3-12. I am also a level 95 balance Warlord with Loremaster. The bits of free time I have, I often use in this game. I dont party or go to bars or go shopping. This game is how i unwind from the stress and heartache of being a grown-up. Claiming that only children that are cared for and coddled have the time to get Loremaster is inaccurate and vaguely insulting.

Amber Raven Song

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
318
Dr Von on Feb 4, 2014 wrote:
"Anyone with a half brain would know lore master is a better spell."

Ah yes, the straw man. When your argument fails, attack the other person instead... how very mature of you. But I digress.

In my initial post, I explained exactly why the Avalon spells are not overpowered. Mana Burn is a freebie cast for your opponent, and supernova has less accuracy than a newbie storm wizard's thunder snake. End of conversation.

But then, you brought Loremaster into it when you said that everyone has it and, when I pointed that your assumption was incorrect, you said I was lazy for not having it. That was the extent of the discussion, and has been since you keep insisting that anyone who doesn't waste every spare hour she has on this dungeon is lazy or stupid.

In any case, you have effectively proven that you are either incapable of being civil, or are simply unwilling to. When you can demonstrate otherwise, we will talk; until them, I have nothing more to say to you.
Good cause you have very poor reasons for why the avalon spells aren't op. Once again, mana burn only costs 5 pips and it takes away 4 of your opponents pips regardless of whether or not they're power pips and does 80 damage per pip taken away which doesn't allow your opponent to build pips. What's your excuse for saying mana burn isn't op? "Mana burn is a freebie cast for your opponent." Sorry but that's a bad excuse. Supernova only costs 2 pips, but has 60% accuracy, destroys your opponent's aura and does 530 damage to them which pretty much prevents your opponent from using auras. What's your excuse for saying supernova isn't op? "Supernova has less accuracy that the newbie storm wizard's thunder snake." Sorry but once again you have a poor excuse. Supernova can easily be enchanted or pre-enchanted with extraordinary or unstoppable which takes that 60% accuracy to 90-95% accuracy and gives it an armor pierce boost of 15-20%. Sorry if I mean to say I know your own spells better than you do, but thats the truth. Preventing your opponent from building pips and using their aura really disables your opponent from getting a decent hit on you. With loremaster and savage paw they can be used to really pack a punch at your opponent and blade yourself in the process or debuff your opponent in the process.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
449
Dr Von on Feb 4, 2014 wrote:
"Anyone with a half brain would know lore master is a better spell."

Ah yes, the straw man. When your argument fails, attack the other person instead... how very mature of you. But I digress.

In my initial post, I explained exactly why the Avalon spells are not overpowered. Mana Burn is a freebie cast for your opponent, and supernova has less accuracy than a newbie storm wizard's thunder snake. End of conversation.

But then, you brought Loremaster into it when you said that everyone has it and, when I pointed that your assumption was incorrect, you said I was lazy for not having it. That was the extent of the discussion, and has been since you keep insisting that anyone who doesn't waste every spare hour she has on this dungeon is lazy or stupid.

In any case, you have effectively proven that you are either incapable of being civil, or are simply unwilling to. When you can demonstrate otherwise, we will talk; until them, I have nothing more to say to you.
Mana burn is a way to lock an opponent out of a high pip spell or reshuffle. I would never call it useless. If an opponent is sitting at full pips, it gets rid of 3 of them and does quite a bit of damage. Supernova is the only spell of its kind. It is the only spell in the game that removes star spells, and does quite a bit of damage, for 2 pips. Accuracy is not a huge factor. Accuracy enchants can be used to get around it. Compare balance's avalon spells to fire's, backdraft and detonate. Can you really say that balance's are underpowered?