Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Rudeness/Attitudes of Players...

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 23, 2010

Now, there is an old list, of the 7 words that can not be used on the FCC, those are the main words that I will report over. Those are generally the extreme words.

Darthjt, those are the very ones I am targeting, not darn, rats, snap and shoot which are all acceptable in elementary schools.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
darthjt wrote:
I am happy to see so many of the members joining together and trying to clean up the commons and surrounding areas for our kids.

I feel though, that I should remind the concerned citizens, that what one might consider foul language, others may not.

For instance, the A salt rye fell, to me this is an assault rifle, I don't see how that is cursing in any possible way.

Now, there is an old list, of the 7 words that can not be used on the FCC, those are the main words that I will report over. Those are generally the extreme words.

I can't justify in my own mind, reporting someone for:
Crop, Darn, damn, heck, or very close mild infractions.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Well said, JT.

The words you mentioned at the end of your post are, in my opinion, very minor and not really worth reporting... KI's system is probably backlogged as it is. I'm glad that so many people feel this way, even those of us who don't have kids, or are kids/teenagers themselves.

I think JennM summed it up pretty well~ this behaviour is what our game will come to, if we don't all come together. But, given the overwhelmingly-fantastic and supportive responses from everyone on this board, I don't think it'll be a problem much longer. There will always be the bad seeds... but, as QBB said, our efforts will cut most of them down to size.

-El Veeb, the Archmage of Awesomeness
& "Auntie El" to 4 prospective young wizards. :)

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Hey, darthjt, that was me standing next to you with one of my low-level wizards. I saw the comments you made to them (polite), and I had to find out who else was there with me. Nice to meet your wizard! :)

I didn't stay there long, as I knew "Wolf" was there, so I changed wizards, and went to Unicorn, Wraith, and the other Wu realms.

I wasn't in Wu for more than 5 seconds, when the arguing and profanity hit me like a ton of bricks. Unfortunately, some of it came from the same wizards I've been reporting this whole week. It calmed down a bit when I did some reporting.

Later in the evening, while I was doing some boss farming, I ran through the Commons in Wu (only one area open at this time of night) with one of my Archmage wizards. My gosh, the profanity was flying. On my lower level wizards, I don't say anything, as I don't want them to be "tagged" as a snitch, but I don't care with my higher level wizards. I made several comments of "Please watch your language, this is a family game", or "Please don't talk like that, this is a family game".

Of course, then people cussed even more, but what got me, was the people who weren't involved with the 'groups' at all. They were jumping all over me, telling me "If you don't like what they say, ignore them", or "It's none of your business, let them be", or "Who do you think you are?".

That's what upset me the most. If people want to be ignorant, and let the obnoxious behavior continue, then that's their problem, but when I'm being polite and asking the offenders to stop, don't tell me it's none of my business. It should be everyone's business, but I realize many people don't want to get involved.

I didn't want to get into any arguments, so I didn't respond back. I probably would have said something inappropriate at the time. So, after I would ask people to watch their language, then I started reporting like crazy, because some of them let off an even longer string of extreme profanity.

I was "outted" as a snitch, but I really don't care. I will continue to use my two "outted" wizards as well as my other "non-outted" wizards to monitor the realms. I will continue to use the WC Protector badge, as I feel I'm doing my best to keep the game safer for everyone.

Explorer
Apr 05, 2012
I had been in a practice PvP match last night. I won, and when the battle circle disappeared my opponent decided they would take that opportunity to swear at me in the misspelled form of swearing they are able to do. I let them rant about how I used smoke screen (once) and other treasure cards. I reported them and took a screen shot.

The part of a report on someone that makes me laugh is when the reported party says "reporting is for noobs with no life." He also claimed to be ten years old.
My reply was "So is a lack of extended vocabulary. There are more appropriate forms of communication than the grunts and squawks of a pre-teen with open chat." Then I ported to the lobby.

They sent me another private message with more swears. I reported them again, took another screen shot and used the ignore button.

I find it annoying that most of the people using inappropriate language are ten to sixteen - and I might be generous with that age gap. If I talked the way some of them do, when I was that age, I would get a slap from my mom, a spank from my dad, go to bed without supper and be grounded for a week. I could go on a rant of my own, about how kids are not disciplined the way they used to be, but that's a rant for another post.

Parents with minor children that play this game. Start monitoring what they are doing online.
Children, respect for your elders. Learn it.

Delver
Feb 16, 2010
Oh my goodness, where to begin. I usually run through the commons as fast as I can, and I'm almost never in Wu. But I too joined the Wizard City Protector ranks and just hung out in the commons and the dye shop last night. Then I heard about a party in the life house, and being on my life thought it appropriate to visit. As a parent it pains me to see this wonderful family game degraded with the threats of rape, cursing, racist comments and promotion of drug use that is going on in these places. What started as a calm party in the life house degenerated into something sickening. And I'm sure KI won't appreciate the You Tube videos that were being made that will clearly illustrate the "non family friendly" nature of things in the spiral. All I can say is I feel for poor Mr. Lincoln and his staff, because I know we are inundating them with reports. As parents, we need to continue our activities and have patience with KI as they try to catch up with all this. I also know that many of these kids will simply make new free accounts and continue on. Hopefully if they will eventually get bored of having to make new accounts all the time and move on.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
To All,

It's very nice to hear from you all and having everyone showing their support to cleaning up the spiral.

A few things I would like to address are:
"If you don't like what they say, ignore them", or "It's none of your business, let them be", or "Who do you think you are?".
"Reporting is for noobs with no life"

As we all know, I don't mind an arguement, I can generally argue almost anyone into submission, however, I don't usually argue with people like this.

I simply say, "I am a concerned Parent that wants to keep this game safe and clean for kids"

Most of the time, people don't argue with this point. For those that say, it's none of your business, I tell them, "The community is everyone's business and it is the responsibility of everyone to keep it safe and clean."

For those that say, "Reporting is for noobs with no life", I simply state, Reporting if for Parents and anyone that does not wish to put up with foul language in Our game."

Most of the time, people do not argue with facts, only select few wish to carry on, these few are the ones that never learn and need to be suspended. The biggest problem I see, is that it is usually a few bad eggs that spoil the whole bunch. Some places were doing great, no cursing, good fun, just clean communication. Then, one or two people come in, start cursing up a storm and others join in, thinking they are cool?

Cursing is a sign of Ignorance, not intelligence. People curse because they can't think of anything else to say.

Anyway, I wanna thank everyone for their time and efforts and say, keep up the good work.

If you see me, don't be afraid to add me, I am just a person.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
It was wonderful to see others last night in Wu.

Fallon, Megan, and Blaze (the ones I saw), thank you for your help. Fallon, thank you very much for helping me 'patrol' the Dye Shop. It was loaded with extremely naughty wizards, and it was all we could do to stay caught up with the chat box. Fallon was reported twice while I was there (falsely, of course).

I was there between the Commons and the Dye Shop for about 1.5 hours. I had to leave and fix a bit of dinner, and I was back with another wizard for another 1.5 hours.

The Dye Shop was still pretty bad. The Commons calmed down a little, so I hit all the towers in Ravenwood. There weren't a lot of people in the Life tower, but the language was pretty bad. I did hit the Fire tower (sorry I missed seeing you guys there), and did my reporting duty. Ice tower was the next one, but it wasn't too bad when I was there. The rest of the towers were fairly empty.

I know some of these nasty wizards change realms to Unicorn and Wraith, as that was what they were talking about this week. For those that don't want to stand around in the Wu realm, please take a moment or two to run through the Commons in the other realms, just to keep an 'ear' open

Thank you all for your help.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Aritako wrote:
Oh my goodness, where to begin. I usually run through the commons as fast as I can, and I'm almost never in Wu. But I too joined the Wizard City Protector ranks and just hung out in the commons and the dye shop last night. Then I heard about a party in the life house, and being on my life thought it appropriate to visit. As a parent it pains me to see this wonderful family game degraded with the threats of rape, cursing, racist comments and promotion of drug use that is going on in these places. What started as a calm party in the life house degenerated into something sickening. And I'm sure KI won't appreciate the You Tube videos that were being made that will clearly illustrate the "non family friendly" nature of things in the spiral. All I can say is I feel for poor Mr. Lincoln and his staff, because I know we are inundating them with reports. As parents, we need to continue our activities and have patience with KI as they try to catch up with all this. I also know that many of these kids will simply make new free accounts and continue on. Hopefully if they will eventually get bored of having to make new accounts all the time and move on.

Aritako, I know you and Darthjt had your hands flying in the life tower last night and I know there were at least 3 of us in the Dye shop plus the ones we also knew were in the Commons. The Dye shop was packed like sardines and as you and everyone else knows, the chat was flowing so fast, it is hard to tag a specific one. It would help if KI would prevent them from making new accounts as soon as one is muted. Make them wait for the unmute.

There are many that will just flat out tell you to mind your own business when you try to give them a warning. There was one in the Dye shop last night that made a comment that was not reportable but was rather rude. I sent him a private message and told him to "knock it off" and I got reported. lol. This makes me laugh since I knew I had not said anything to be reported for.

Aritako, I know that by the time I joined you in the life tower, my fingers were starting to hurt. The last couple of nights have been the worst I have seen. I find it hard to believe that those people would post something as disgusting as that on YouTube and we both saw them making statements that they were doing just that.

Now, I have a suggestion that might help us when we are reporting especially in areas that are like the towers and dye shop. When you tag someone to report, as soon as you send the report, put them on IGNORE. When you do that, you naturally don't see anymore comments they make in bubbles or the chat box..... This process starts to reduce the number of comments we see since there is really no point in reporting the same person over and over. Everytime we ignore one, it slows the chat flow down just a little. We may be able to clear an area faster by using the IGNORE button. Then we can either clear that list when we leave a particular area or just leave it til we have to clear or it clears itself. I have done this a couple of times in the last few days when I see players just sitting on a letter in chat. That is so annoying. I am going to test this again tonight, but it should be a more efficient way to get the job done.

I have no idea how many were watching in the game last night but I know this group is growing. I have more friends showing up in my list as actually being online now than I have had on over a year.....I never realized how much I missed this. I know there may be some that will delete me at some point and that is fine, but I also know I have found some that will be there and will be good questing friends.

@QueQueg, the next time you see one of us in game, I know some of us would like to add you as a friend.

@QBB. I have as yet not been able to find you in the game but have sent you a request.

I am going to put the "Wizard City Protector" badge on all of mine that have that badge and all on my main account except youngest one has it. Only 3 on second account has it.

See you all in the Spiral

Fallon WinterLeaf/ Trans Theurgist
(won't name all wizards here. 10 of them takes up a lot of space)

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
I had my life wizard around the Commons and the Life tower this afternoon. All I can do is shake my head at the inappropriate words and behavior. I was disgusted. I reported several for cursing.

I did see a few Wizard City Protecter badges too. I do hope that we can get this under control, but it seems these days that they have scattered. The Life tower is now a favorite hang out for them. Somehow, to me, a party doesn't mean let's curse like the proverbial sailor and behave like one on shore leave. But that's what they're calling it.

Sad that they seem to think that this is adult behavior.

Defender
Jan 25, 2009
I know that I'm going to get doused with comments disagreeing with my statement, but I think KI gave you the proper materials to make this whole attitude/rudeness thing less of an issue. You can simply ignore players so that you dont have to listen to them trash talk. Also, reporting players can have them think twice before saying nasty things. Also, the part where you said "I'd be deleting players if I reported and ignored, which I don't typically do", you're practically saying that you're friends with some bad mouths, and you don't want to delete them.

I get it, certain players find ways to get around the chat system, and I do think that KI should block certain phrases, but there's so many phrases that bad mouth text chatters are using that are necessary in daily w101 conversation like "Crop", you know, for gardening and all. Still, not wanting to ignore or report bad mouth players is just a lousy excuse to keep complaining.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
I went in the game this morning to take care of all of my garden on both accounts and popped into the Commons with my last wizard on main account.

There really wasn't much going on at the time so I just strolled, if you can call it that into the life tower and fire tower since those are favorite hang outs. Even though there were a few in each, everything was clean so I went back to the Commons and just sat there for a little while....For the most part the language was clean although I did give a private message to 2 before they had a chance to expand on theirs.

Before all was said and done, I did report 2 in the Commons. 1 for asking for info on how to hack an account and another for giving IP addresses. I honestly can't understand anyone doing something like this especially in open chat.

The best thing about weekends is that it seems from Friday night until sometime on Monday, the areas are kept fairly clean. I will still pop in those areas from time to time, but will be either pet training or leveling one of my wizards.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
jennyajtim wrote:
I know that I'm going to get doused with comments disagreeing with my statement, but I think KI gave you the proper materials to make this whole attitude/rudeness thing less of an issue. You can simply ignore players so that you dont have to listen to them trash talk. Also, reporting players can have them think twice before saying nasty things. Also, the part where you said "I'd be deleting players if I reported and ignored, which I don't typically do", you're practically saying that you're friends with some bad mouths, and you don't want to delete them.

I get it, certain players find ways to get around the chat system, and I do think that KI should block certain phrases, but there's so many phrases that bad mouth text chatters are using that are necessary in daily w101 conversation like "Crop", you know, for gardening and all. Still, not wanting to ignore or report bad mouth players is just a lousy excuse to keep complaining.

First off, this kind of language is not supposed to be used in the game. It is after all and E10+, which means that young players are in the game. Some parents do give their kids at least filtered chat so they can communicate in the game. There are some things that even those players can see. It would be impossible for KI to block some of the phrases used without shutting the chat down completely. That we don't want. WE DO want it to stop.

We are not targeting some of the words said for the simple fact they don't warrant a report. But when players are getting down right nasty, YES, myself and others will report.

Delver
Feb 16, 2010
Thanks Goldendragon18 for the help it was quite a mess for sure. I spent some time in the Life House again Friday night, very late and the crowd was much thinner. There were some that got progressively worse as the night wore on. I like your idea of using the ignore after reporting to help thin the chat box, but I have one concern there. I don't know for how long a period before and after the report is sent that KI examines the chat, so I didn't mind reporting some of those players multiple times. When their language got that much worse I wanted to be sure KI got the full picture on them. The other towers were empty when I checked them. I did hear some talking about trying to move to Nightside, although they were trying to figure out who would have access and who would not. So that may or may not be an area we need to check.

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
I have to agree with you, Goldendragon, on how much more user friendly the Commons is on the weekends. I was there on various wizards yesterday afternoon and it was just plain foul at times. But we do get a brief break from it on the weekends.

Explorer
Jul 31, 2011
Beginning last night through today I have found the profanity in Wu Realms much less than the other days of the week. (So it is better on the weekends? I never would have thought!)

I suspect they are just moving to other realms tho. When I reported some terrible "f" and "B" bombs in the dye shop, they quickly said lets move, they are reporting us now. Went to the commons and there they were again.

The Death School Tower in Nightside is bad but NOT in the WU realm, they are meeting in the Scarecrow Realm. So I go into the tower in WU, find a nice place to stand, then change to the Scarecrow realm so I just appear by the wall. Let the chat run a bit and report as needed. Then change back over to WU and go about my day.

I went on my lower level wizard to Quest with my daughter over in the Floating Lands, even had to send a couple reports as we were playing... two players were "F" bombing us both because we were spinning due to being AFK for all of one minute to grab drinks.

Some days I find the attitudes so bizarre, I mean this is just a game! Seems the "friend" dynamic is taken over the top seriously. Two girls fighting in the commons just a few minutes ago were really going at it, then the one started with death threats against the other girl. Saying she was dead next time they meet in the streets she was going to,,, well you understand.

Now I have a question, A Wizard was giving out info, web address etc on a Crown Generator hack, using one is something an account is banned for.. so is this a reportable offence? I assumed so. :/

I have also changed my Badge to Wizard City Protector, which I feel is a great idea. Also I have streamlined what I report for, I mean some days almost every single wizard could be reported!

How do you all feel about the "wth" "fu" "wtf" "F'nB" etc etc abbreviations for profanity? Also with the slang and clever body part references and faux sex play. They are getting more and more creative, we are going to have to compile a list, LOL

See you all on the Spiral, if you see me, please say hi!
We are the Spiral Clean-up crew!
Jennifer Lifeheart ('Madge Life Wizard)

Survivor
Feb 12, 2010
Okay, pizzamoney. I have edited my original post now to appease you. I do want to say though that if you are so offended by me using the word to explain the full weight of the issue here, then you might not want to hang out on this game for much longer where you will see this word and worse (I am glad someone pointed out some of the sexual comments that are made in the game. I was going to mention that as well, but I forgot. And those comments can be very easily made in filtered chat where kids will see them). Actually, if you are offended by this one word being said here then you should understand why I was so offended when my child was called that name. If me using the word once outrages you so much, then you should be even more outraged by the game where words like that are used frequently every single day in areas of the game where young kids are absolutely certain to see them.

In terms of 9-year-olds reading this board, I think that is pretty unlikely, or maybe I am just naive to the fact that they do. My daughter does not even know about this board or how to get to it, and in all honesty, she shouldn't. There is no reason she or any child her age should be here reading this. The adult (or teen) that controls the account and pays for the membership should be the ones that come here if concerns need to be shared. If young kids my daughter's age are here reading this board, then chances are their parents give them full run of the internet (which I do not let my child have) and they have seen and heard much worse than that one word I stated to make my example. However, young kids certainly play the game. My daughter is soon to be 10 but I know children younger than her that play, and I am sure there are many young kids that play out there without parental supervision. I didn't think me saying that one word on a message board that is most likely filled with teens and adults that have already heard it, compares to someone using it in the game where it is certain to be seen by younger players. Especially considering some very young players, for whatever reason, have open chat.

Regardless of what the two or three naysayers in this thread think, this is a problem, and I am glad the majority of people see it that way. I do talk to my child about what is right and what is wrong, and I do tell her not to take the rudeness of some players personally. But that does not change the fact that it should not be occurring as much as it does in the first place. If kids want to act out with foul language and sexual innuendos then they need to find a better place to do it then a family game where young kids play. My membership is up this evening. Thank you to those that do see this as an issue and are doing something about it. :)

To "appease" me?
I'm impressed. Thank you for editing your own thread and post to change a word you used to quote of what someone else said in game, to your little person.
I appreciate you "appease" ing me.
However, children do read these forums. They post stories to them. They send in drawings they've made. They download the wallpapers, and they do post.
Your tripping if you think they don't.
What do you think "Abracadoodle" is?
I objected to the word you used, here.
I've never seen that word used in-game.
If I did, I'd report the player and move on.
I wouldn't make a big old drama out of it.
All that aside, don't start attacking me, please, because I objected to the word being used here.

Survivor
Feb 12, 2010
goldendragon18 wrote:
pizzamonkey71 wrote:
I am so offended that what you said actually made it through the filters... I cancelled my sub. Not because these kind of things don't happen, but because KI didn't "filter" your post after 2+ days, with a better word.
I'm offended you'd even repeat what some random, not very nice person would say to your child, here on the forums, just to make your point.
I, so totally don't like drama, but this, to me, is the worst.

I'm sorry someone would say something wicked and nasty to your little person, but, what bothers me the most...
nobody looked to see what aweful things you were saying here, ( in front of all the little people who do read these forums...), and nobody just changed your wording a little bit to get your point across, but still let you keep the spirit of what you were saying.
I don't even know who to be mad at.
You, for making it worse, by needing to have everybody know what aweful word was used, or, KI for not looking at the words you were actually saying midpost....

I refuse, tho' to not put a lot of this aweful, aweful subject on to your shoulders. You should have just reported the person, e-mailed KI, ( if neccessary) and moved on.
There is no need to "share" that kind of stuff with "everybody".

If you choose to cancell your sub because a concerned parents post was not edited to your satisfaction, then that is up to you. You could have also emailed KI staff and asked that the post be edited in that particular comment.

Maybe the post should have been filtered a little but the fact is, that posting the incident, it reminds many of us that we are all responsible for reporting these kinds of things.

There may be some young ones reading this, but for the most part, most of them don't come to this site that often.

The real issue is that Wu realm has really gotten out of hand on the inappropriate languages and suggestivity. I did spend some time there yesterday and was really appalled how bad it had gotten and yes, I did some reporting while I was there, but there were also a few others there reporting as well. I saw one player make the comment that she had just been report 4 times. GOOD. I saw one that I and others reported come off with another string of foul language because he got reported and guess what, he was reported AGAIN. Some of these players are not young kids. They are teens that have been given open chat from the begining by the parent or they are adults. And from the content of the open chat you can tell who is adult. You can also tell who has filtered chat from that content as well.

The biggest issue in Wu is that the chat flows so fast that you have to be fairly quick to catch some of them and be careful not to make a false report against someone else.

Again, Posting these topics keeps those of us that do care on our toes. We don't like this in the game and will do what we can to reduce it as much as possible.

I am a "concerned" parent.
I don't think anybody should be calling anybody names. Nor cursing, but, I can tell you right here, right now, that picking arguments with me about some bull on things someone said to someone's child, ( who should have had menu chat, if all that drabble I was slathered with was true ), shouldn't be dragged all over the place making things worse.
That initial post could have been written w/o that word.
If the word can even be used in-game.
I don't even want to know about it, if it can.
Seems to me, I'm not wrong here.
An polite e-mail to KI about their forums?
You must have a better relationship with them than I do, because I'm pretty sure the only way I could think of to get that word edited so quickly was to do and say what I said here, initially.
Sorry if you don't understand that.
You want to form a coalition to eliminate all the rude nasty people who populate the game, go ahead.
It's none of my business, but again, don't go picking fights with me for no reason.
Off-topic-
I'd like to see a little "report" button down at the sides of posts next to the little "quote" button on posts, KI, when you get around to re-vamping your forums.
Would have made things a lot easier.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
pizzamonkey71 wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:
pizzamonkey71 wrote:
I am so offended that what you said actually made it through the filters... I cancelled my sub. Not because these kind of things don't happen, but because KI didn't "filter" your post after 2+ days, with a better word.
I'm offended you'd even repeat what some random, not very nice person would say to your child, here on the forums, just to make your point.
I, so totally don't like drama, but this, to me, is the worst.

I'm sorry someone would say something wicked and nasty to your little person, but, what bothers me the most...
nobody looked to see what aweful things you were saying here, ( in front of all the little people who do read these forums...), and nobody just changed your wording a little bit to get your point across, but still let you keep the spirit of what you were saying.
I don't even know who to be mad at.
You, for making it worse, by needing to have everybody know what aweful word was used, or, KI for not looking at the words you were actually saying midpost....

I refuse, tho' to not put a lot of this aweful, aweful subject on to your shoulders. You should have just reported the person, e-mailed KI, ( if neccessary) and moved on.
There is no need to "share" that kind of stuff with "everybody".

If you choose to cancell your sub because a concerned parents post was not edited to your satisfaction, then that is up to you. You could have also emailed KI staff and asked that the post be edited in that particular comment.

Maybe the post should have been filtered a little but the fact is, that posting the incident, it reminds many of us that we are all responsible for reporting these kinds of things.

There may be some young ones reading this, but for the most part, most of them don't come to this site that often.

The real issue is that Wu realm has really gotten out of hand on the inappropriate languages and suggestivity. I did spend some time there yesterday and was really appalled how bad it had gotten and yes, I did some reporting while I was there, but there were also a few others there reporting as well. I saw one player make the comment that she had just been report 4 times. GOOD. I saw one that I and others reported come off with another string of foul language because he got reported and guess what, he was reported AGAIN. Some of these players are not young kids. They are teens that have been given open chat from the begining by the parent or they are adults. And from the content of the open chat you can tell who is adult. You can also tell who has filtered chat from that content as well.

The biggest issue in Wu is that the chat flows so fast that you have to be fairly quick to catch some of them and be careful not to make a false report against someone else.

Again, Posting these topics keeps those of us that do care on our toes. We don't like this in the game and will do what we can to reduce it as much as possible.

I am a "concerned" parent.
I don't think anybody should be calling anybody names. Nor cursing, but, I can tell you right here, right now, that picking arguments with me about some bull on things someone said to someone's child, ( who should have had menu chat, if all that drabble I was slathered with was true ), shouldn't be dragged all over the place making things worse.
That initial post could have been written w/o that word.
If the word can even be used in-game.
I don't even want to know about it, if it can.
Seems to me, I'm not wrong here.
An polite e-mail to KI about their forums?You must have a better relationship with them than I do, because I'm pretty sure the only way I could think of to get that word edited so quickly was to do and say what I said here, initially.
Sorry if you don't understand that.
You want to form a coalition to eliminate all the rude nasty people who populate the game, go ahead.
It's none of my business, but again, don't go picking fights with me for no reason.
Off-topic-
I'd like to see a little "report" button down at the sides of posts next to the little "quote" button on posts, KI, when you get around to re-vamping your forums.
Would have made things a lot easier.

You might be surprised at some of the things that are being said in game. Things that most people don't even think about saying IN THE GAME. Try just hanging around for a little while in Wu2 in the commons or go to the dye shop or even the life and fire towers on any given week night. Weekends, thankfully are fairly quiet since most of the ones using this type of language seem to find other things to do. We do see some inappropriate language now and then in other realms and areas of the spiral, but Wu2 Commons and the other places I have mentioned get really bad. Yes this game does need to be cleaned up and there are more and more adults joining this effort everyday. Unfortunately, Some of those using this kind of language are ADULTS. SHAME ON THEM for turning a kids game into a CHAT ROOM.

As for sending and a polite email to KI? Yes, you can do that when it involves a post on the boards and I HAVE. There was a word used in a post a few months ago that should not have gotten past the moderators, but it did. I sent an email to support and the post was edited within a short amount of time. They are human too and sometimes miss one or two. How would you do if you had to moderate THOUSANDS of posts every day?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
jennm2203 wrote:
Beginning last night through today I have found the profanity in Wu Realms much less than the other days of the week. (So it is better on the weekends? I never would have thought!)

I suspect they are just moving to other realms tho. When I reported some terrible "f" and "B" bombs in the dye shop, they quickly said lets move, they are reporting us now. Went to the commons and there they were again.

The Death School Tower in Nightside is bad but NOT in the WU realm, they are meeting in the Scarecrow Realm. So I go into the tower in WU, find a nice place to stand, then change to the Scarecrow realm so I just appear by the wall. Let the chat run a bit and report as needed. Then change back over to WU and go about my day.

I went on my lower level wizard to Quest with my daughter over in the Floating Lands, even had to send a couple reports as we were playing... two players were "F" bombing us both because we were spinning due to being AFK for all of one minute to grab drinks.

Some days I find the attitudes so bizarre, I mean this is just a game! Seems the "friend" dynamic is taken over the top seriously. Two girls fighting in the commons just a few minutes ago were really going at it, then the one started with death threats against the other girl. Saying she was dead next time they meet in the streets she was going to,,, well you understand.

As my Balance wiz (also the basis for my real-life RP character) would say, "it doesn't make sense, and they're being creepy".

I've come across so many bizarre attitudes in this game~ ill-mannered kids, entitled teenagers, "responsible" adults who really aren't... and I don't understand any of it. Why so extreme, guys? IT'S JUST A GAME.

(Remind me to check out the school towers on my low-level wizards)

jennm2203 wrote:
Now I have a question, A Wizard was giving out info, web address etc on a Crown Generator hack, using one is something an account is banned for.. so is this a reportable offence? I assumed so. :/

I would assume so as well~ that said, I'd double-check with Support, just to confirm.

Some things I've verified through Support:

~ Professor Greyrose replied to my forum post, stating that buying/selling accounts is considered sharing account info and IS reportable.

~ I sent a ticket in, inquiring about homophobic slurs that are part of expressions generally accepted in North American culture (as I hesitated to report them, during my last trip through Wu). Thankfully, those are also reportable.

jennm2203 wrote:
I have also changed my Badge to Wizard City Protector, which I feel is a great idea. Also I have streamlined what I report for, I mean some days almost every single wizard could be reported!

Me too~ when you're patrolling Wu realm, look for a girl in red with the most-obnoxious mount possible and wearing a Wizard City Protector badge. That would be me. ;)

jennm2203 wrote:
How do you all feel about the "wth" "fu" "wtf" "F'nB" etc etc abbreviations for profanity? Also with the slang and clever body part references and faux sex play. They are getting more and more creative, we are going to have to compile a list, LOL'

Unfortunately, that's how it goes~ we create bigger and better systems, and the universe creates bigger and better spammers/trolls/bad words. So far, they're winning... but that's temporary. LOL.

If there's a group on Central, we should track these for our reference... Abbreviations of obscenities should be just as reportable as the words themselves, especially if it's as obvious as the ones you listed.

jennm2203 wrote:
See you all on the Spiral, if you see me, please say hi!
We are the Spiral Clean-up crew!
Jennifer Lifeheart ('Madge Life Wizard)

Has anyone created a group on Central yet? If so, then sign me up!

If not, then I'll hopefully see you (well, some of you) in the Spiral! Those of you on the west coast~ midnight there is 4 am here, and I'm a night owl, so there's still a good chance that we'll run into each other. ;)

-El Veeb/Laura Shadowsong/Auntie El
the Archmage of Awesomeness & Wizard City Protector

Explorer
Jul 31, 2011
IN Wu right now, a Matthew Lifecaster (I know there are millions of them) is bragging that he has been reported 90 times.

Now IF he is being truthful, it is telling me that reporting is NOT doing anything. Standing in the dye shop earlier these potty mouth players were all "bragging" about the number of times they have been muted after saying... and then began to rattle off every expletive imaginable.

I will continue helping keep the spiral clean... in HOPES that it will make a difference in the end. Maybe Wiz101 staff will see that many of the same people who pay to use their service actually do CARE about keeping it safe for kids of all ages.

See you on the Spiral, I am there right now :)

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Nice that it's been much quieter this weekend so I can get more questing done.

The Dye Shop was crowded, but the conversations were actually 'pleasant' ..... until one particular wizard arrived. As soon as she arrives anywhere, she starts arguments. She used to do some swearing, but stopped. She has said before she works for KI (there's no KI badge). Someone said this week that she said she was a lawyer for KI (again, no KI badge). When she appears, she starts to threaten everyone with 'banning', 'lawsuits', 'video recording', etc, even if the surrounding conversations are nice.

She is so irritating, that people get angry and start swearing. She won't shut up. She moved to the Commons and started threatening all over again. I seriously think she was off her medication. She was ranting about someone. I don't know if it was another wizard or someone in real life, but went into explicit detail about how this person is a criminal, that 'she' steals, and went through a list of 'criminal charges', and called this anonymous person some interesting words (which I reported).

People in the Commons were getting really upset with her. I kept trying to tell people to "Click on the ignore button". Apparently, a lot of people took my advice, and eventually, she left.

If I see any of you Wizard City Protectors when I patrol, I will let you know her wizard name.

Otherwise, it's been quiet ......

Explorer
Jul 31, 2011
I would like to add to my last post :/ I was on all day today as it is one of my free days of the week. Wu realm as usual.... dye shop and commons. All day, absolutely all day (11 am until 7 pm or so) the same two wizards were spouting off non-stop sexual innuendo, eff bombs and the classic abbreviatory profanities wtf, wdf, rofflao and then the racist remarks and gay and lesbian abusive talk. (there was also a ton of sex talk, I mean direct and clear and very descriptive!)
All day this one wizard in particular every single time she typed anything it was filled with filth. I reported several times, but it was quite frustrating. She was laughing counting how many times she was being reported saying how much she didn't care, gets reported everyday and has never been muted etc. Then in turn they each would say just one simple clear profane word, some not so bad all the way to the worst of the worse.... just because they know nothing will happen and were happy to brag abut it. How can this wizard be permitted to talk like this for an entire day, and all week without punishment?

I would like to hear from Wiz101 on this, may send a direct email but hate the canned responses. I have been hearing that unless at least 5 different wizards report the same issues at the same time NOTHING will happen to the player.... but one it reaches 50 reports they get a one or two day mute only. These players who are the biggest potty mouths just do not care about our reports, they continue, the children are continuing to see this filth and nothing is being done. All week I have run in to the same wizards doing the same things, they have yet to get muted or anything. (I have taken note of names and looks now to see a pattern.)

In time I believe Wiz101 will have to rethink their claims of a kid/family friendly game as long as open chatters and text chatters are still able to get around the filters and cheat the entire age system. It is ONLY Kid and family friendly once you mute your wizard, the filth then disappears. (I know this happens with other games as well, but I feel Wiz101 should be above all of this, should be better than the other games and be truly family/kid friendly.) Muting your wizard makes playing with other very difficult, hard to communicate specific cheats and in play info.

I am sorry for my venting, but it boggles my mind. Maybe the fcc, ftc or other services (esrb) need to monitor the game as well, not the actual game software but the chat that is permitted to take place?

Survivor
Aug 13, 2011
I am asking KI to please do something about the language in the game. I have minor children playing on wizard101. Not only am i shocked but also amazed at the amount of the racial words. While in a battle,( and yes I could leave, I could ignore, etc, I understand that), I get to hear the N-Word used several times. What is so upsetting about this is why these repeat offenders are allowed to continue to play on a CHILD FRIENDLY game. If I remember correctly KI has opened the game to numerous regions, which would mean different racies of people. (I understand completely that KI has a very busy job due to the number of players, but if KI looks at this problem in a world wide perspecitve, hmm, this could create numerous lose of memberships.) As a parent, I have taught my children to love everyone and not use NASTY lanugage, not everyone one is like me or do I expect them to be, and yes at times I sit back and laugh because I know my children have more respect and dignity than adults on a child friendly game. As I ask and plead as many others do for KI to do something about this problem, I will be told to ignore, report, flee a battle that I shouldnt have to, etc, I realize that it is not a complex issue for KI to solve..... delete their account, ban their IP or OEM from the server, ban their Credit Card from making another account, after you have warned them, I know it will not be done and this problem will continue. So as I complain and as I report people I know it is a true waste of my time, I keep hope that KI might at some time figure out that there is a major problem with language on a CHILD FRIENDLY game and step up their procedures to protect our children and their young minds all over the world.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
@QueQueg, I have seen a girl doing the same thing you are discribing although at the moment I can't remember her name. She threatens to ban everyone in the area and does create quite an uproar from the other wizards.

I have also seen others claim to work for KI which I have reported for the NO Badge. There have been a few claim they have relatives working for KI but I just tell them that does not matter to me. If they are going to use foul or inappropriate or suggestive language I will still report them.

Someone comment recently that it would be nice if KI would work a little more with some of us and get the reportable items a little more clear. Some of us have been running into some "GREY" areas that in order to make false reports we just don't report. One of those grey areas for me is when they use just LETTERS (as Jennm2203 has mentioned) even though I know exactly what they are saying. Most young players with filtered chat should be able to see those and I am sure many knows what it means or figures it out fairly quickly.

@Vonawesome1, As far as I know there has not been a group started on Central, but I will take a look to see if there is anything in the Social Groups. It would be a lot of help if we knew how many were actually assisting in this effort so that we could each take some questing time as well. However, until we do have an idea how strong our numbers are, I will continue my vigilance every time I am in the game.

@Jennm2203, thank you for mentioning the Death Tower in Scarecrow. I will make it a point to start watching there as well.....

The sex talk gets very disgusting at times and just really blows my mind to see that kind of smut being used in the game.

In a way, I can understand KI's way of giving first time offenders a second chance but, like you, some of the things we are seeing DO NOT warrant a reprieve. I have also seen some talking about the number of times they have been reported and never suffered for it or just turned right around and created a new account, most create free accounts if their sub account or crowns accounts have been muted. I suspect some are exaggerating the numbers but it really baffles me that KI allows them to create these accounts so quickly and continue with the barrage of profanity and filth.

I have even had some report me for making a false report for which I just laugh, because I know they are trying to make it look like they are innocent. Most don't believe that KI does keep the chat logs and see just exactly who and what was said. Many even think they can chat in their houses with out any thing happening, but this was an issue that Professor Greyrose addressed many months ago and plainly stated that even there, IF, KI checks a log and finds it, they will set sanctions even if you are talking to yourself.

In my opinion, NO ONE should be allowed to get more than 10 reports max before they are muted and for a lot longer than a day or two. They should NOT be allowed to turn right around and make another account for at least a MONTH. Maybe this will make some of them stop and think. If not, then make the sanction even longer.

I stated in an earlier post that if you put a player on ignore after you report them, it will start to slow down the chat flow so that it becomes easier to tag the offenders easier. And since there are several of us now trying to clean up the game, It also makes it easier to get through each area faster. I know that some of the offenders are moving to other areas of the game, and will do my best to make sure that any new areas I find I will post here so that everyone knows about it.

I have discoverd that even though this game is rated E10+, there is NO INTERACTION RATING. This is an issue that KI does need to address. KI, you gave us the tools to use for many of the infractions that we are talking about here. Please, udate the ToU, and whatever else it takes to help us clean this game back up. There was a time we did not see the JUNK we are seeing now.

As with many of you, all of my wizards except my 2 little ones are now wearing the "WIZARD CITY PROTECTOR" badge.

I will see you in the Spiral.

Fallon WinterLeaf

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
jennm2203 wrote:
She was laughing counting how many times she was being reported saying how much she didn't care, gets reported everyday and has never been muted etc. Then in turn they each would say just one simple clear profane word, some not so bad all the way to the worst of the worse.... just because they know nothing will happen and were happy to brag abut it. How can this wizard be permitted to talk like this for an entire day, and all week without punishment?

Are you sure they weren't being punished? Taking their word seems a bit naive. Those wizards were purposely antagonizing listeners with their comments, so they are naturally going to say something like that. Besides, muting/banning doesn't stop all the "free to play" wizards (since they create new characters). This is why the majority of this activity takes place in the free to play areas.

Should the free to play areas be removed and the only way to play is to pay (sub or crowns)? I'm willing to bet the negative activity decreases, but many players will not be able to take the game for a "test drive."

Wizard101 isn't the only game to have this problem. Check out FreeRealms some time. There are designated "hook up" areas in that game and the entire world is free to play!!!! So you can encounter the "I only play this game for the social activities" anywhere in the game world.

This is a family MMO problem (not just a Wizard101 problem).