Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How would you do it?

AuthorMessage
Developer
Spell animation. How would you change any of the spell animations in the game? Or is there one you would like to add? Describe in detail. Let your imagination take over!

Administrator
I have stickied this post as it is a very good question.

Let's hear your ideas, no matter how wild you think they may be!

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
May 21, 2008
Hey thanks, I wanted this to appear...

Perhaps with Fire Elf, instead of ALWAYS jumping around and shooting an arrow, maybe he could jump around, and dive at our opponent, and burst into flames? Just a thought...

also, with Storm Shark, an animation of the shark jumping out of the water, charging up some sort of Electrical Ball in his mouth, and then shoot it at our opponent?

Yeah, those would all be really cool... ^_^

thanks!

Survivor
May 22, 2008

This is probably too time intensive, but worth mentioning.

I would love to see variations to the way the spell recipient reacts based on different amounts of damage.

For instance:
Light damage to a creature or player may make him shrug and flick an imaginary fly off his shoulder.

Small damage: A slight "windmilling arms" as if he was a little off balance.

Medium damage: Doubles over as if receiving a gut-punch.

Heavy: staggers backwards a few steps.

Very heavy: Knocked on his rear end, climbs back to his feet.

Survivor
May 22, 2008
Leprechaun
Show the varying damage through the amount of coins he throws. E.g. Weak damage he throws a few, Heavy damage he throws heaps and perhaps even the pot?!

Fairy

I like the scene the fire elf has, so i would apply a scene to the fairy - When cast the fairy appears sitting on the edge of a giant spotted mushroom. It then looks toward the caster, giggles and flies up to heal them.

Imp

Imps are tricksters and performers.

Weak damage: normal imp animation + appearance of two other imps which remain stationary near the caster, making booing sounds.

Average: normal imp animation.

Strong: normal imp animation + appearance of two imps that remain stationary, applauding and cheering.

Survivor
May 31, 2008
Mythbat

Note - I don't particularly care for his look. I don't cast him because I think he's icky looking.

Weak - wing slap.

Strong - Current animation (blood spit).

Troll

Weak - Flip his club up into the air, catch it, then throw the club at the opponent.

Strong - Current animation (ground pound).

Cyclops

Intro - Please shorten his intro a little. It's enjoyable and well designed, but long.

Weak - The current howl animation without the ground smash.

Strong - The current ground smash without the howl animation.

Humongofrog

Intro - I get why he's shown landing on part of the globe, but the green splat mark under him after he drops in just looks odd, off, and vaguely disturbing. Give him a lily pad or have him stay seated on the globe. The green smear mark is...icky.

Weak - Tongue smack.

Strong - Current animation (fish bits vomit). By the bye, this animation is also vaguely disturbing. It's funny to see the fish bits (is that part of the storm shark?), but the green boiling goo he vomits makes me vaguely uncomfortable.

Locust Swarm

Name - Please change this one to "Insect Swarm." As an alternative, please make the locusts look a little more like locusts.

Weak - Scarabs swarm out of the mouth.

Strong - Current animation (locust swarm).

Storm Shark

Agreed - Mr. Storm Shark needs a second attack. :-) I'll let the Storm players suggest one, though.

Fairy

Intro - I like the above user's comment about having her appear on a mushroom.

Fire Elf

Agreed - He needs a second animation even if his damage never changes.

New Cards

I want to hold off suggesting new cards/animations until I've reached the level cap and have seen all the available animations. My only (minor) disappointment so far at level 22 is that the Magma Man does the same attack animation as the Evil Snowman (who by the way is awesome; give those artists a raise!).

Survivor
May 31, 2008
Humongofrog and "Unicorn Heal Spell"

I have a minor issue with the animation both of these spells. When the frog or the unicorn turn toward a different player or opponent, the ground cover under them obviously turns as well. This is a slight break in the immersion of the game. Just my opinion, but I think you should change the ground design of both spells such that it's impossible to tell a difference when the animation turns to face a new opponent/player.

Survivor
May 31, 2008
Ghoul Spell

I've got another minor issue for you guys on a pair of great cards. The Ghoul spell (the one with the undead in the cemetery with the shovel) has the sound effect of a crow cawing during the animation, yet there's no crow in the visual. Please add a crow sitting on a gravestone just to match the awesome sound file. :)

Banshee
Similarly, the Banshee spell involves her clearing her throat and turning her head to the side, but it's unclear that that's what she's doing because it sounds like she's quacking like a duck. :P Perhaps making her intro a little longer and/or adding a throat spray bottle to loosen her vocal chords would make it clearer that the duck noises at the beginning are her clearing her throat.

Survivor
Jun 08, 2008
I don't think that the Dark Faerie (Rank 1 Death card) should have an attack animation that's identical to the Pixie/Faerie (The Life card that heals 400 health). Maybe instead of lifting the target up like the Pixie, the dark faerie could knock it down.

Survivor
May 22, 2008
Seeing as I've seen quite a bit of that funny little imp, it'd be interesting to see him belt out a tune or two with different instruments to give him a slight change up. Instead of always carrying a harp, he could have a lute, a tambourine, or maracas as alternatives to sing with for diversity.

Survivor
Jun 01, 2008
Clockwork Golem, Gearhead:
I'd like to see them fall into pieces when defeated, with cog-wheels rolling around or spinning like a flipped coin.

O'Leary Tricksters:
I'd like them to sometimes pull a killer rabbit out of their hat at their natural (physical) attack, which then attacks the player viciously.

Treants:
This is my favorite animation so far. (Might be partly because I like Treants very much ;) ) The part, when it grows out of the earth as a tree and then morphs into a Treant, is done absolutely brilliant. I'd like him to smash the player with one of his branches.

Survivor
May 29, 2008
I'm in a silly mood today, so here are some silly spell suggestions (please excuse me if any of these already exist in the game ... I haven't made it past level 7 yet and haven't look at them all):

Squirrel Storm:
spell turns the target into a giant acorn and a swarm squirrels rushes in and either carries the target away or nibbles on the target.

Crab Wave (similar to above):
A large wave splashes over the target and leaves several crabs pinching the target.

Ankle-Biter:
Makes the target's pet (if any) attack it's owner (at the ankles, of course).

Vine Divine:
Vines come out of the ground and lash (or zap, if you don't want any display of physical attacks) the target.

Banana from Above:
Flying monkeys bombard the target with bananas (or squeeze the bananas to shoot the fruit at the target)

Mucous Malice:
A giant worm pops out of the ground and slimes the target.

Bigfoot Afoot:
Bigfoot runs by the target and steps on the target's toes.

Yeti Yell:
This one's obvious, right?

By the way, my seven-year-old daughter would like to know when Hamster101.com is coming.

Survivor
May 29, 2008
The Cyclops spell could use random coloring of the skirt and facial hair.

Actually, generaly speaking alot of spells can use random coloring that match the school specific gear choises when feasable.
For instance, the fire elf currently wears red and yellow (if I remeber correctly), but no reason not to have orange/yellow or red/orange elfs, etc.
Or the pixie wearing the other primary life color instead of her green skirt thing.

Survivor
Jun 16, 2008
QuinnHexthief wrote:
Hey thanks, I wanted this to appear...

Perhaps with Fire Elf, instead of ALWAYS jumping around and shooting an arrow, maybe he could jump around, and dive at our opponent, and burst into flames? Just a thought...

The current Fire Elf animation seems to have a little something missing. I think maybe as he jumps out and dives through the leaves each time he fires an arrow, 3 in total, then disappears back into the forest.

TheBigBadWolf wrote:

Humongofrog

Intro - I get why he's shown landing on part of the globe, but the green splat mark under him after he drops in just looks odd, off, and vaguely disturbing. Give him a lily pad or have him stay seated on the globe. The green smear mark is...icky.

Weak - Tongue smack.

Strong - Current animation (fish bits vomit). By the bye, this animation is also vaguely disturbing. It's funny to see the fish bits (is that part of the storm shark?), but the green boiling goo he vomits makes me vaguely uncomfortable.

... the Magma Man does the same attack animation as the Evil Snowman (who by the way is awesome; give those artists a raise!).

Yea as an second attack style the Humongofrog should have some kind of tongue attack. Slaps the enemy with his tongue or wraps his tongue around them, pops them in his mouth and then spits them back out, covered in slime.

I have to agree the snowman attack is freaky and awesome. Especially the one where he digs a piece of this body out with his knife and throws it at you.

Cardinal wrote:
I don't think that the Dark Faerie (Rank 1 Death card) should have an attack animation that's identical to the Pixie/Faerie (The Life card that heals 400 health). Maybe instead of lifting the target up like the Pixie, the dark faerie could knock it down.

Ditto that.

The Ghoul spell. He draws life from your opponent and then gives half of it back to you as health. Personally instead of turning the animation, which breaks the feel of the battle some what for me, why not have him just turn his head back towards you and reach out his arm on that side with his hand open fingers splayed kinda of like a claw and energy flowing from the hand into you. then he falls back into the grave.

Just a couple of ideas.

p.s. The death school basic attack needs the animation improved. A lot of times you can't even tell if it is doing anything.

Survivor
May 29, 2008
I agree with the Ghoul turning. It's awkward because the entire graveyard he's on turns. Seeing as how he's "shoveling" the health from your target, I was thinking he could just "shovel" the health over his shoulder (like most kids depict shoveling) at the caster.

Survivor
Jun 01, 2008
Hm, I like the ghoul animation in its present way. It's one of my favourites, too (but not as much as the sprite, which comes next to the treant, she's sooo lovely ;) )

I only miss an animation of him turning around. Currently he stands there facing the opposite direction in an instant.

But I, too, dislike the fast and close-up camera movement at it. This is a general issue. I suppose, it's intented that way to be spectacular and catchy, but it's somewhat confusing, dizzying, stressing and fatiguing. I guess, a game for kids should be fun and relaxing, not sapping energy and concentration.

Survivor
May 24, 2008
This isn't quite what the question is asking, but my suggestion would be to shorten the length of most of the animations. Or maybe only do the full length for severe damage. Or just have an option to turn them off or minimize them.

Particularly at low levels, when you only have a few spells available to you, the animations get old fast, and the battles take a long time because of them, making the game a little repetitive. I don't know how much this bothers others, but I've found it hard to find the time to start over since the wipe because I get bored every time I have a battle with any non-boss characters until I get about 15-20 levels and have more spell options.

Survivor
Jun 01, 2008
Some animations which have no entertainment value at all seem to be entirely too long. Examples are the multi-shield and multi-trap spells. I can understand the need to individually indicate that they are there and active, especially for newer players, but perhaps there can be a toggle or flag on an "experienced" player that either we control through options or that the game recognizes (certain level of advancement perhaps) where some of those completely non-essential one-at-a-time animations are shortened or eliminated.

Another spot of added interest could be with the "X" spells, like Dryad, Tempest or Sandstorm; make the animations of varying size or intensity depending on the X value of the cast.

Incidentally, I'd like to voice my opinion on some of the treasure card price changes - 4000 gold for a dryad at the library now being a bit on the overkill side... I agree that it was too easy to buy before but now it seems completely inaccessible to the average player.

One other observation that I've noticed since starting to play a new lower level character and run through the those more crowded areas again - I've been in few combats where another player joined the battle but there were no other monsters around to add to the enemy side. We will have defeated the last monster and while it's "death throes" animation is running, another monster will materialize, seemingly out of nowhere, since our camera view is zoomed up on the dying monster, and those of us who chose a final attack spell to be rid of the enemy rather than a healing spell because we thought the battle would be over, find ourselves mostly dead with a completely fresh enemy in the circle.

Maybe some player selectable options for toggling "death" animations off and on would make this occurrence less likely?

Survivor
Jun 23, 2008
ok this is a death card it could be next to punkin head one please use this a death mobile theres a mummy driving he drives colse to your oponet and raps his paper on you

Survivor
Jun 06, 2008
jetboy123 wrote:
ok this is a death card it could be next to punkin head one please use this a death mobile theres a mummy driving he drives colse to your oponet and raps his paper on you
There's already a fire treasure card called "Krokomummy" you get by defeating some...

Survivor
Jul 31, 2008
Another suggestion would be to take the cards only available as treasure cards (if there are any) and make them available as normal spells... ESPECIALLY the Death ones... Death has WAY too few spells (at least in ravenswood).

Survivor
Jun 06, 2008
Nekros wrote:
Another suggestion would be to take the cards only available as treasure cards (if there are any) and make them available as normal spells... ESPECIALLY the Death ones... Death has WAY too few spells (at least in ravenswood).
Every school has 9 spells trained by the main school NPC,the marleybonian and death student in Ravenwood are not the true trainers,the true trainers are Alhazred in Krokosphinx and Dworygn in Nightside,but I do agree that a few of the spells not given by NPCs,should be obtained in a second set of spells after the 1st...

Survivor
Jul 05, 2008
I wouldn't mind a darker animation for the Banshee, perhaps haunted house type Area, And then, She appearers and attacks the target..

I'd be cool if the Sunbird animation had a little more background..

~Borme~

Survivor
Jul 20, 2008
I would like it if the Heckhound would circle the victim, rather than putting the leaf on him... I love it when he jumps out of the dog house, but then having another leaf on the bad guy is rather a let down... His move could change based on the damage he will do (as he is circling him), when he just does 40 damage he could just grown at the bad guy and when he does 280 he could growl and snap etc...

Survivor
Jun 29, 2008
jumbo bubble-this would be a balance spell a bubble appears and then it pops and little bubbles appear and it explodes on all the targets.

voodoo doll- a death spell of course a little wooden doll appears floating in the air and then its eyes appear as black little flames and shoots shadow balls at you.

fire spire- fire spell, a little girl appears crying then she says don't leave me here. then she melts and fire comes up and burns you every turn and every time you get burnt you here you should'nt of left me.

icy kiss- a freezing eye appears and it glares at you and then you freeze for 2 turns and then when your unmelted you take damage for the rest of the the battle in frost damage.

tornado-the storm professer comes out and spins around turning into a tornado hurting all enimies

ying of yang-a life spell, a green spirit appears and breathes green smog over all enimies and then a shadow spirit appears behind the life spirit using the health zap to heal everybody else.

mount olympus- a cloud floats down over the field with a mountain on it and it attacks every enemy with every type of magic!!!!