Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Excessive Beggars are everywhere!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 22, 2012
31
Intrepidatius on Oct 9, 2015 wrote:
No you are exactly wrong. Anyone who asks someone they don't know to "gift" them is the personification of rudeness in material form. It is not "hating" to point out their atrocious lack of manners, and decency.
THANK YOU -JustinIronFlame Exalted

Survivor
Jul 19, 2013
49
Well, it can be frustrating, but there are several ways of dealing with it.

1. When asked "Wanna trade some rare treasure cards for a few packs?" Respond "Sure, which packs?" When they respond, say "I will trade, but only if you give me the pack first."

2. You can be polite and just say "I'll pass" or "No thanks"

These all work well.

Defender
Nov 25, 2015
101
Well there is a positive and negative side to it and I would consider the following.
Positive:Friend or somebody wants you to give them whatever and they will give you something back.
Cons:Aren't there a lot of trolls in wizard101.
Negative:People who beg or want something but won't give something back.(Could be lower rank person)
And let me just say there are going to be a LOT of noobs who want you to be there friend.(Maybe they want to trade or they want gift).

Defender
Nov 25, 2015
101
I think the most common thing about beggars is that when you don't friend request they will spam friend request until you say yes.(This is awful)

Survivor
Nov 23, 2015
34
I've found that if I hang out in Triton Avenue/in the area where you can fight the Kraken that's where I get the random friend requests and asks to buy people stuff from the crown shop. The conversations usually go like this:

Random person(normally someone who has to complete triton avenue/newbies): Hey do u have any crowns?
Me: Yeah
Random person: o can u buy me something from the crown shop
Me: I could....
Me: But I won't
Random person: what? Why!
Me: Um because I've worked my butt off to get all the items I have now, and if I can, you can too.
Random person: I'm gonna report u if u don't buy me something
Me: Okay
Random person: seriously I will
Me: you do that
random person: *curses me off with some random, weird filtered insult*

I enjoy these

Survivor
Nov 24, 2012
17
This is really annoying. It is one of the reasons why I sometimes stop playing for a while. However, aside from reporting the offenders or flat out telling them how rude it is to constantly ask for tcs, crown requests or help there seems to be very little relief. Some people are just born is a barn!

I tend to use none descript titles and this seems to calm it down a bit. Of course, when they see you riding a cool mount and having cool gear, they will ask anyway. I don't linger in crowded areas, either - hanging out in the commons is asking fro trouble!

I don't mind helping people out in battles - but new wizards should be aware that they will gain very little experience if they are constantly having more experienced wizards fight their battles for them.(at least this has been my observation). As for crown requests - I have a family account, which includes access to Pirate 101. Our crowns are for the family only. I resent being asked by a stranger, and will generally unfriend people who ask me crown requests.

Defender
Nov 25, 2015
101
I've had a friend said that if give him a weapon he will give me a doom pack and that's just the positive side to it.

Defender
Jun 09, 2015
116
HeyitsBerly on Jan 29, 2016 wrote:
I've found that if I hang out in Triton Avenue/in the area where you can fight the Kraken that's where I get the random friend requests and asks to buy people stuff from the crown shop. The conversations usually go like this:

Random person(normally someone who has to complete triton avenue/newbies): Hey do u have any crowns?
Me: Yeah
Random person: o can u buy me something from the crown shop
Me: I could....
Me: But I won't
Random person: what? Why!
Me: Um because I've worked my butt off to get all the items I have now, and if I can, you can too.
Random person: I'm gonna report u if u don't buy me something
Me: Okay
Random person: seriously I will
Me: you do that
random person: *curses me off with some random, weird filtered insult*

I enjoy these
if i do that though i won't report you i would just ask you but if you say that you can't i would say ok or something else because i am a nice person and i don't report people for random things like if someone kept me out of their house

Defender
Jun 09, 2015
116
cakesauce360 on Jun 29, 2013 wrote:
wake up coffee; it says it gives you limited time infinite pet snacks and limited time infinite energy but it really makes you explode after five seconds of use and then your clothes and wands and pets housing items etc. fly everywhere lololol

el crocodile;give one pi (math thingy) spells the pi spell does nothing but turn all of your cards into a bunch of numbers even tc then replaces all cards with a spell that cost one hundred pips to cast call trololol spell and does nothing but does a back flip and heals the person your up against also gives the munch card when you cast it it will say does 9 billion healing points to all friends but it really eats all of your friends and you can see their skeletons and you will be sent to commons even if you are in krokatopia azteca etc
it shouldn't eat your friends what did they do what if your in a really hard place and almost about to win when somebody just uses that card and you all die KI would never do that because the friends never did a thing

Defender
Jun 09, 2015
116
Jason StormShield on Jul 21, 2013 wrote:
I was walking around in the commons on my level one wizard, and i got a friend request from a level 90 wizard. I accepted really quickly. Next thing i know, he said "can i plz have crowns plz plz i never got any crowns ever and never will?" I checked his gear, and he had on really expensive crowns gear and mount. I said to him "i don't have any" ( which was true ) and he replied "can you ask for some?" He was really bugging me, so i said "why should i give you, a total stranger, crowns which cost real money?" he said " if you dont i will unfriend and ignore you" and i said "be my guest" he did it all and probably reported me for not giving him crowns.
If a wayyyyy higher level wizard wants to group you or friend you, they probably want crowns from you. Dont do it.
Malorn Ashthorn level 72
well not all the time like me jacobshadowbreeze 73

Survivor
Dec 17, 2008
9
On the opposite side of what guys are all saying, I sometimes go in the Commons to offer help in exchange for packs. I find there to be nothing wrong with this. It's not begging, because I'm not asking for something with nothing in return, and I'm not asking one person in specific, rather just everyone in the Commons at that time. But then I sometimes get people complaining to me saying that I shouldn't be begging and that I am ripping people off. To those people I'd just like to say this:

1. It is not begging. Begging is just asking for something without offering anything in return. Offering help in exchange for a pack is a basic example of an exchange of goods and services.

2. Sometimes people offer help for free, but not always. If you want to offer help just so you can take away my business that is fine (it happens a lot just so people can pointlessly spite me), but realize that there are plenty of times when people ask for help in the Commons and NO ONE bothers to lend a hand. And also, I am far more likely to stick around then people who offered help out of boredom.
3. I am more powerful and less expensive than a henchman. True people rarely use henchmen, but it's still an important point to note.
4. If it somehow, inconceivably bothers you that I am offering a service in exchange for a service.... block me. Just block me and be done with it. There is no point in putting me down for no reason. I've never once just blindly asked random people to gift me, I've always offered something in return. If that is the same thing to you as senseless begging, then you clearly see things in black and white.

Defender
Mar 13, 2014
107
Coming across beggars are annoying but I think a lot of you need to chill out (no offense). These characters are lower levels that can't afford stuff they want. This is what I do if someone is annoying me:

Ask them kindly to stop like saying, "Sorry, you are going to have to earn your own gold. Good luck though. :)"

Then after that if they keep bothering you, click the ignore button. It is that easy. If you are the kind of person, like me, that doesn't like their ignore list to get piled up then you just click the don't ignore button a few hours later.

If you don't want to ignore anyone at all, then just go to a less crowded area with your friends or go to someone's home. You can even put on the lock so people who aren't friends of the owner can't come in and bother you.

Hope this helps :)
- Gabrielle Silversword level 93

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
1124
I've found that now that I've leveled my Life wizard to maximum and have done almost all there is to do in the game, beggars are sometimes my greatest source of entertainment. I love to sit around the commons to see what new lines are used to wring freebies out of unsuspecting, gullible, good hearted people. I understand that most (but not all) of the beggars are low level, Crownless and gold poor but that doesn't excuse their gimme gimme behavior. I also understand that many of them may have learned this behavior by watching other people in the game. This still doesn't make it right.
I figure one of two things will happen:
1) they will be unsuccessful in their attempts to get something for nothing so they will quit the game because they're unwilling to actually do anything for themselves.
2) they will realize that what they're doing is getting them nowhere so they knuckle down and start questing to earn stuff for themselves.
The ones that fall into category (1) are nothing to be concerned about. They'll be gone in a few days once they realize they're going to have to actually do something to advance in the game.
The category (2) people are another story. There are 2A and 2B people.
2A folks may try the "combo" quest and beg approach. Doing a couple of dungeons with another player forms a common bond of sorts and some devious players might use this to open the begging conversation by a subtle friend request and then maybe a TC trading session... and then the begging begins.
2B people will see the light and enjoy the game for what it is. A challenging, stimulating activity worthy of the time and effort one puts into it. The satisfaction of completing a gauntlet dungeon or defeating a tough boss is reward in itself.
So, I say enjoy the beggars. Use them for the entertainment value. Laugh at them with your friends. Just don't feed them after midnight and never ever get them wet.

Survivor
Nov 24, 2012
17
TucsonWizard on Feb 1, 2016 wrote:
I've found that now that I've leveled my Life wizard to maximum and have done almost all there is to do in the game, beggars are sometimes my greatest source of entertainment. I love to sit around the commons to see what new lines are used to wring freebies out of unsuspecting, gullible, good hearted people. I understand that most (but not all) of the beggars are low level, Crownless and gold poor but that doesn't excuse their gimme gimme behavior. I also understand that many of them may have learned this behavior by watching other people in the game. This still doesn't make it right.
I figure one of two things will happen:
1) they will be unsuccessful in their attempts to get something for nothing so they will quit the game because they're unwilling to actually do anything for themselves.
2) they will realize that what they're doing is getting them nowhere so they knuckle down and start questing to earn stuff for themselves.
The ones that fall into category (1) are nothing to be concerned about. They'll be gone in a few days once they realize they're going to have to actually do something to advance in the game.
The category (2) people are another story. There are 2A and 2B people.
2A folks may try the "combo" quest and beg approach. Doing a couple of dungeons with another player forms a common bond of sorts and some devious players might use this to open the begging conversation by a subtle friend request and then maybe a TC trading session... and then the begging begins.
2B people will see the light and enjoy the game for what it is. A challenging, stimulating activity worthy of the time and effort one puts into it. The satisfaction of completing a gauntlet dungeon or defeating a tough boss is reward in itself.
So, I say enjoy the beggars. Use them for the entertainment value. Laugh at them with your friends. Just don't feed them after midnight and never ever get them wet.
Well put!

I have been playing for a while - and I have not really found much joy or entertainment in the beggars. However, I tend to be easily annoyed by poor manners. Over all, I try to be nice - but, patience runs thin. I take breaks from the game - such as currently: I have devoted a majority of my game time to Pirate101. I love the KI imagination and subtle references to movies, etc. Well, some are not so subtle .

Another thing that should be mentioned, is that "noob" does not necessarily mean 'poor'. I think it has a lot to do with the actual age and maturity level of the player. I have three characters over level 100 ( 2 completely maxed out for now), one mid level (somewhere around level 60) and a low level (10). Even when I began the game several years ago, it never occurred to me to ask other players for gifts or crowns and I rarely ask for help. However, I have been asked for all of these things on a regular basis. I have gotten very rude responses or the person in question has tried to make me feel guilty for denying them, I have even been relentlessly followed around and stalked(yes - stalked).

Lastly - this is not a dating site! Young men and women need to keep in mind that all ages play this game - and the person you are trying to hook up with might be old enough to be your mother or father(or grandparent). As an adult player I found this to be ridiculous at first - then a bit alarming considering how many predators surf the net looking for just such an opportunity. Keep it real folks - enjoy the adventure and fun - and leave the dating/hooking up for 'real life'.

Defender
Jun 09, 2015
116
Alyssa Greenglen on Feb 2, 2016 wrote:
Well put!

I have been playing for a while - and I have not really found much joy or entertainment in the beggars. However, I tend to be easily annoyed by poor manners. Over all, I try to be nice - but, patience runs thin. I take breaks from the game - such as currently: I have devoted a majority of my game time to Pirate101. I love the KI imagination and subtle references to movies, etc. Well, some are not so subtle .

Another thing that should be mentioned, is that "noob" does not necessarily mean 'poor'. I think it has a lot to do with the actual age and maturity level of the player. I have three characters over level 100 ( 2 completely maxed out for now), one mid level (somewhere around level 60) and a low level (10). Even when I began the game several years ago, it never occurred to me to ask other players for gifts or crowns and I rarely ask for help. However, I have been asked for all of these things on a regular basis. I have gotten very rude responses or the person in question has tried to make me feel guilty for denying them, I have even been relentlessly followed around and stalked(yes - stalked).

Lastly - this is not a dating site! Young men and women need to keep in mind that all ages play this game - and the person you are trying to hook up with might be old enough to be your mother or father(or grandparent). As an adult player I found this to be ridiculous at first - then a bit alarming considering how many predators surf the net looking for just such an opportunity. Keep it real folks - enjoy the adventure and fun - and leave the dating/hooking up for 'real life'.
and kids there is still quite a few people under the age thing but it does mean they are better behaved then some people at that age i'm one of them

Survivor
May 31, 2010
21
There should be a beggars barn or house in the old town area, where we could deposit unwanted items, and someone can claim one a month. This would so stop the begging in the commons. It's tiresome and annoying when you are looking to chat with friends. There are so many people wanting treasure cards you no longer want or need or whatever. Once you give in to one player, then you get attacked by the next set of players. It's really bad, there should be a place for kids to go to get free things once in a while. Everyone loves something free!!

~Lauren IceFlower Lvl 106

Defender
Nov 25, 2015
101
The problem is you shouldn't give to someone even though you know it's a trap and they want you to pay.I think that thing is sorta pay to play or pay to win.Similar to the part where you have to pay to access fire at alley,cyclops lane,etc.

Explorer
Feb 19, 2011
50
To solve this, just turn friend requests off

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
137
Friended a guy today. We were doing the same quest. Figured we could progress together for a bit.

He started asking me how much crowns I had, and when I told him I had only a pittance left, he asked me whether I intended to buy some more.

More or less knowing exactly where he was headed, I said ya, I plan to get about 60k next month (which I'll be spending far more carefully and buying during a crowns sale) but why?

(as if I didn't already know )

He asked me if I could gift him some seeds or packs, and sighing I figured, hey, what the heck, I'll get him a few packs- and I honestly intended to.

Then the guy gets mad at me.

"Only a few?! "

I'm like, well yeah, shoot, gifting you anything is generous to begin with.

"- but you're gonna get 60k! I'd gift 20!"

Dude, I just met you, and you're asking a lot. If you were someone I've been playing with for awhile I'd consider it, but consider how I feel why dontcha?

"- well you were the one who added me!"

Yeah, and?

"Fine. Whatever. Idc."

Dude...

"K."

That's real mature.

"K."

Seriously?

"K."

- and then I ignored him.

There were a few other things said, but I'm leaving the more gritty parts out.

Geographer
Mar 16, 2012
858
Like many on the boards here, I've had my share of begging - so much so, that I'm reluctant to even make a friend.
There is a wonderful tool that is the cure for these beggars; the handy, dandy ignore button! Silence them permanently with this and you won't be bothered again!

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
1124
I've said it before - I'll say it again...

Beggars are some of the greatest sources of entertainment in the game. I love to watch them work. The "clever" approaches never cease to amaze me. It's my birthday, I'll pay you back, gift me and I'll help you... the list is endless.
My personal favorite is: "It's my little brother's birthday". Why anyone would think this should matter to me is beyond my comprehension but evidently sometimes it works.
Anyway, bottom line is enjoy them for the laughs they provide. Make a little lemonade out of these sour characters. And better yet, let them know you enjoy watching them beg and you can go a step further and critique their style. Suggest ways that they can improve their begging approach. A little sarcastic ridicule can go a long way.

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
137
TucsonWizard on Apr 14, 2016 wrote:
I've said it before - I'll say it again...

Beggars are some of the greatest sources of entertainment in the game. I love to watch them work. The "clever" approaches never cease to amaze me. It's my birthday, I'll pay you back, gift me and I'll help you... the list is endless.
My personal favorite is: "It's my little brother's birthday". Why anyone would think this should matter to me is beyond my comprehension but evidently sometimes it works.
Anyway, bottom line is enjoy them for the laughs they provide. Make a little lemonade out of these sour characters. And better yet, let them know you enjoy watching them beg and you can go a step further and critique their style. Suggest ways that they can improve their begging approach. A little sarcastic ridicule can go a long way.
Lol, the "I'll help you level on my max" and the "I'll pay ya back" were used on me recently.

So transparent too bad I don't have your attitude.

Aw well, you live, you learn!~

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
452
kanko on Jan 31, 2016 wrote:
On the opposite side of what guys are all saying, I sometimes go in the Commons to offer help in exchange for packs. I find there to be nothing wrong with this. It's not begging, because I'm not asking for something with nothing in return, and I'm not asking one person in specific, rather just everyone in the Commons at that time. But then I sometimes get people complaining to me saying that I shouldn't be begging and that I am ripping people off. To those people I'd just like to say this:

1. It is not begging. Begging is just asking for something without offering anything in return. Offering help in exchange for a pack is a basic example of an exchange of goods and services.

2. Sometimes people offer help for free, but not always. If you want to offer help just so you can take away my business that is fine (it happens a lot just so people can pointlessly spite me), but realize that there are plenty of times when people ask for help in the Commons and NO ONE bothers to lend a hand. And also, I am far more likely to stick around then people who offered help out of boredom.
3. I am more powerful and less expensive than a henchman. True people rarely use henchmen, but it's still an important point to note.
4. If it somehow, inconceivably bothers you that I am offering a service in exchange for a service.... block me. Just block me and be done with it. There is no point in putting me down for no reason. I've never once just blindly asked random people to gift me, I've always offered something in return. If that is the same thing to you as senseless begging, then you clearly see things in black and white.
The Kiosk for Team Up was created for a reason - to help out each other for the love of the game. Asking someone to Gift you (which costs real money) is wrong no matter how you try to Spin It.

Geographer
Mar 16, 2012
858
SilverbackMonkey on Apr 14, 2016 wrote:
The Kiosk for Team Up was created for a reason - to help out each other for the love of the game. Asking someone to Gift you (which costs real money) is wrong no matter how you try to Spin It.
So very, very true & a henchman costs the same as a pack, anyway ( if you are going to spend crowns. )

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
1124
kanko on Jan 31, 2016 wrote:
On the opposite side of what guys are all saying, I sometimes go in the Commons to offer help in exchange for packs. I find there to be nothing wrong with this. It's not begging, because I'm not asking for something with nothing in return, and I'm not asking one person in specific, rather just everyone in the Commons at that time. But then I sometimes get people complaining to me saying that I shouldn't be begging and that I am ripping people off. To those people I'd just like to say this:

1. It is not begging. Begging is just asking for something without offering anything in return. Offering help in exchange for a pack is a basic example of an exchange of goods and services.

2. Sometimes people offer help for free, but not always. If you want to offer help just so you can take away my business that is fine (it happens a lot just so people can pointlessly spite me), but realize that there are plenty of times when people ask for help in the Commons and NO ONE bothers to lend a hand. And also, I am far more likely to stick around then people who offered help out of boredom.
3. I am more powerful and less expensive than a henchman. True people rarely use henchmen, but it's still an important point to note.
4. If it somehow, inconceivably bothers you that I am offering a service in exchange for a service.... block me. Just block me and be done with it. There is no point in putting me down for no reason. I've never once just blindly asked random people to gift me, I've always offered something in return. If that is the same thing to you as senseless begging, then you clearly see things in black and white.
I agree, there's nothing wrong with what you do. The problem is a matter of trust. I'm not saying you're untrustworthy... what I'm saying is that in any exchange of goods for services there's normally a distinct point in time when the two things transfer in a face to face setting. In a game setting there's a question of "who gives what first". And it works both ways. It depends on your terms... do you help first and wait for payment when the task is complete... or do you expect payment up front? The trust issue enters into it because of the large numbers of "beggars" who'll offer services for payment in advance, only to vanish in a puff of smoke once they get their booty. I've been offered rewards for my help and always tell people there's no need to pay me. I'd like to sound magnanimous and say I do it because it makes me feel good... but nah, not so much. I do it because I enjoy the game. And I'll admit there have been a few times when I've helped someone because someone else was offering to help them for a fee. But just because I don't choose the mercenary approach doesn't mean I condemn your actions. There's a place for everything. As long as there are people willing to pay there will be people willing to sell.
#beggarsarefun