Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Nerf Healing Current

AuthorMessage
Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4118
PvP King on Jun 13, 2014 wrote:
No, look at most good stats talents. They're Ultra-Rare or Epic, right? Spell-Proof is Epic, Balance-Sniper is Ultra-Rare, Pain-Giver is Epic, and the list can go on. Getting a pet with 5 talents that you want on a specific pet is definitely harder with stats. You see Spritely being a Rare talent, Fairy Friend being uncommon, etc. That is why you're more likely to get a pet with these talents rather than a pet with "perfect stats".
Your reply said nothing about the same subject. Talent rarity has NOTHING to do with the order of manefestation either. And my post about the math of stat hatching was perfectly correct. Common-Epic doesn't have anything to do with talents manefesting. That has to do with how often the talent occurs in pets. If you didn't notice, Common talents appear in the talent pools of a LOT of pets... Epic talents appear in the talent pool of usually only 1 or 2 pets.

A+ Student
Jan 11, 2012
1681
PvP King on Jun 13, 2014 wrote:
Ok, and your point?
well, if you have read the article (and I'll extend the courtesy of asking if you did), you would nkow that my point was this (quoting myself):

"People who play complain that this, that or the other thing is unfair or should be removed. Now I want you to think about something. If there's more than one PvP player, there's bound to be people who think different things are unfair. That being said, if KI actually listened to you folks and removed/disallowed everything you wanted, there would be NO MORE PVP. Think about it. All of the following, and more are things people have asked to ban:

Pets, TC, Blades, Traps, Shields, Dispels, Minions, Sun Spells, X pip Spells, Gear, Turtles, Jades, etc etc etc

You realize that if KI actually listened to you guys that it would remove what you're trying to save? That's not to say that PvP shouldnt be fixed, but think about what you are asking KI to do, why you're asking them to do it, then realize others may disagree and want a strategy YOU use, to be removed."


That being said, I think your crusade to try to fix PvP by removal of features is well intended, but misguided. People are getting the opinion of you that you're NOT a king of PvP as you claim. Your posts are starting to become more desperate, as if "if they would just fix this one more thing, I could win more battles". As one who believes a game should be fair, and balanced, I understand your want to fix what's broken. I think this thread has proven that people disagree with you, and that limiting pets is NOT the way to go about it. I DONT have the fix for PvP, but then, I DONT PvP, so I wont have the fix for it. Fixes come about from complaints, and debate about the issue, but your posts are truely reaching the point of desperation rather than insight.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1558
seethe42 on Jun 13, 2014 wrote:
Your reply said nothing about the same subject. Talent rarity has NOTHING to do with the order of manefestation either. And my post about the math of stat hatching was perfectly correct. Common-Epic doesn't have anything to do with talents manefesting. That has to do with how often the talent occurs in pets. If you didn't notice, Common talents appear in the talent pools of a LOT of pets... Epic talents appear in the talent pool of usually only 1 or 2 pets.
Exactly, and most good stats talents are Epic talents, meaning people with stats pets work much harder than people with healing pets to get their "perfect" pet. In that sense, pet heals shouldn't be casting so much as to completely flip the result of a PvP match, which is exactly what Energizing Battery does. You have proven nothing of the talent not flipping PvP matches over and making PvP extremely unfair, and nobody else has either. The excuse of PvE players whining about their talent isn't a good point itself either, there are many other healing talents they can get as well as using their own heals to deal with monsters that have no damage boost, no damage enchantments, no brains, no combos, etc, so PvE is still easy without the use of Energizing Battery. Some people made up the excuse that it rarely heals 1000, but it does. If it casts a lot, that 1/3 chance happens a lot as well, and trust me, the talent does cast a lot in PvP. Even if it never casted 1000 in one match, you're bound to get it sometime else in another match, which is going to completely flip the results and make them win because of a 1000 heal for no pips and for no cost whatsoever. This to me, and to many other duelists, is unfair in PvP, even if the person facing the person with the talent ends up winning.

Astrologist
Oct 22, 2011
1077
PvP King on Jun 13, 2014 wrote:
First of all, I never said anything about stats. This thread is solely about the nerfing of Healing Current, I don't care what else you think is overpowered or unfair. If you like the cool items you get from PvP, go do some tournaments and get what you want for housing items. PvP players have to do PvE too to get their gear and also have to farm bosses for gold to hatch for pets, so it's even no matter how you put it.
LOL. Apparently, you completely missed the point of my post. Sarcasm. PvP'ers keep asking for a nerfing of this, and a nerfing of that, so why not add everything including the kitchen sink? Let's just nerf everything for all PvP. Plus, let's take away any PvP privileges, which includes gear and any other goodies, because it's not necessary.

Oh, and by-the-way, it's not even, no matter how you look at it. It's tilted towards PvP, and frankly, those who play PvE are not only tired of the whining from those in the arena, PvE is taking more of a vocal stand, saying "no more" to KI acquiescing to PvP demands to change the game.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
717
PvP King on Jun 13, 2014 wrote:
You cannot simply say that the 1 in 3 chance to heal 1000 doesn't occur often. There's a probability of it being 1 in a billion chance but it could still be doing that 1 each time. There will be moments when it will be casting 1000 a lot of the time, and moments where it will not. However, with my bad luck and experience with the talent, I've been having the short end of the stick: It heals my opponent 1000 almost every time. It also isn't the rarest of the 3 to occur, if it were that way, the talent wouldn't be so popular. If the talent was already "bad" and "never" healed 1000, why on earth would everybody be getting it? No, everybody's getting it because it heals 1000 quite often. That 1 in 3 chance occurs very often in PvP matches as the talent casts a lot as well. The higher the cast rate, the higher the probability of that 1000 heal happening, and trust me, I've seen it cast 1000 3 times in a row in just one turn, and that was after my Threefold Fever, no exaggeration.

I want PvP to be fair. I don't want to be going into a PvP match, using my own pips and spells to take down my opponent's health, then have my opponent get it all back up at the expense of nothing. To me, that's unfair, and that definitely isn't what a game is. Think about pet heals and criticals like a lottery. You pay with your time to train your pet, which is the same way somebody pays for a lottery ticket. Now, your card may be the winning one, or it may not. Same way with a pet in each match: It could heal you, or it could not. However, your chances of winning that "ticket" in a PvP match is much higher. This is the approach I highly dislike in PvP.
And you cannot simply say that it happens all the time either. It is a random event. And of the three heals it is indeed the least common. That you have had some anecdotal occasions where it heals back to back is an exception, not the rule, and is also a random event. That you have on occasion had bad luck is no justification whatsoever for saying that everything should change just so you never get unlucky moments.

Moreover, once again, the action of pets is only one part of a larger strategic and equipment whole. A healing pet by itself will not make or break any match -- it will only help a player who already knows what they are doing. Those players who know what they are doing will use those pets to their advantage. For these players, you also have to be on your game if you want to win. On the other hand, those that don't know what they are doing, as well as those who rely too much on their pets, will still get beat.

PVP is fair. Everyone has the same opportunities to get the same kinds of equipment and pets, and the only thing holding a person back is their own preferences and efforts. If you choose not to train healing into your pets, that is your choice and your preference. You preference does not mean the system needs to be changed.

Honestly, if I can beat the players with those pets, so can you. It is possible, it is not unfair. It is simply a matter of learning how to play with good sportsmanship, and not get into the "poor me whining" when things get hard or unexpected.

Explorer
Nov 21, 2013
78
PvP King, I think you should let this thread go or find a new game. I don't intend to sound rude, but you don't seem to appreciate the game for what it is. You're expecting a casual game to cater to serious competitive standards. Whether you believe you're right or not is irrelevant, the majority of people (people I assume have or do PvP regularly, myself included) do not agree with you. I doubt KingsIsle is compelled to change something very few people view as "broken". I see your point about the heal, but it is rarely a game changer. If May Cast Current was exclusive to one school, your argument would be a lot more convincing.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1558
BrynnerOfReign on Jun 13, 2014 wrote:
LOL. Apparently, you completely missed the point of my post. Sarcasm. PvP'ers keep asking for a nerfing of this, and a nerfing of that, so why not add everything including the kitchen sink? Let's just nerf everything for all PvP. Plus, let's take away any PvP privileges, which includes gear and any other goodies, because it's not necessary.

Oh, and by-the-way, it's not even, no matter how you look at it. It's tilted towards PvP, and frankly, those who play PvE are not only tired of the whining from those in the arena, PvE is taking more of a vocal stand, saying "no more" to KI acquiescing to PvP demands to change the game.
First of all, PvP hardly changed anything for PvP. Okay so let's look at this: Guardian Spirit was changed because of PvP, Spritely wasn't actually, it was nerfed because it disrupted all kinds of battles too often (same as Fairy Friend, KingsIsle never said anything about PvP changing it), and so on. To be honest, if Reshuffle was unlimited again, I would be fine with MC Healing Current, I couldn't care less. But with Reshuffle limited, you almost taking down your opponent, their pet healing them back to full, and you eventually running out of cards because of a pet heal is just crazy. I don't want a game where you can't even control your player or your opponent, PvP was perfect before Celestia, but when Celestia came out and may casts came out along with it, it's no longer been the "golden age", it's more like a luck vs skill game now, and luck seems to conquer a lot more.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1558
FinnAgainWindrider on Jun 13, 2014 wrote:
And you cannot simply say that it happens all the time either. It is a random event. And of the three heals it is indeed the least common. That you have had some anecdotal occasions where it heals back to back is an exception, not the rule, and is also a random event. That you have on occasion had bad luck is no justification whatsoever for saying that everything should change just so you never get unlucky moments.

Moreover, once again, the action of pets is only one part of a larger strategic and equipment whole. A healing pet by itself will not make or break any match -- it will only help a player who already knows what they are doing. Those players who know what they are doing will use those pets to their advantage. For these players, you also have to be on your game if you want to win. On the other hand, those that don't know what they are doing, as well as those who rely too much on their pets, will still get beat.

PVP is fair. Everyone has the same opportunities to get the same kinds of equipment and pets, and the only thing holding a person back is their own preferences and efforts. If you choose not to train healing into your pets, that is your choice and your preference. You preference does not mean the system needs to be changed.

Honestly, if I can beat the players with those pets, so can you. It is possible, it is not unfair. It is simply a matter of learning how to play with good sportsmanship, and not get into the "poor me whining" when things get hard or unexpected.
So, you accept losing due to a whole luck factor? When I go into a PvP match, I'm not asking for a whole lottery roll to see if I'm going to end up winning or not. I don't go into a PvP match thinking "Okay well I hope I get pet heals and criticals so I can win my next match", because that's not Warlord. If large portions of strategies rely on pets healing and criticals, then I don't see what Warlord is. I never said I lose against pet heals, but it changes matches very quickly, and is capable of making or breaking a match. For example, I was against a Bad Juju spamming Jade with 77 resist to all schools and some decent block rating. I was second, of course, and he kept on using Sanctuary and I kept on having to put up Doom and Gloom. Eventually into the match, I was running out of options so I had to stack Balance dispels to Reshuffle luck him. I did so, and I was relying on one more turn to win the match. I used Scorpion with Infallible up, it nearly killed him, and I could've used Judgement the next turn and win but his pet used Healing Current. I was hoping it would heal the 100 version, but it didn't. It healed the 1000. Add that up now. Level 100 Jade gear, Cosmic Kris, Stellar Signet, Mandolin of Evermore, a Sanctuary, and that's back to full health. After that, I ran out of opportunities to win. The Bad Juju spamming started again, I was running out of cards, got drowned in Bad Jujus with the pet constantly healing him, and I eventually just discarded all of my cards. This is why I don't wand a talent healing above 860. Why? Because Satyr itself is 4 pips, and if a healing talent does more than Satyr, it's overpowered.

That's how pet heals can make or break a match. Sometimes in PvP, you only have one window of opportunity to win the match. However, pet heals such as Energizing Battery can shut this window and make it impossible to win the match. I'm not asking for PvP matches to be easier for me, I'm asking for it to be possible to win from any situation, whether I'm vs a Jade or a critical spammer.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
717
PvP King on Jun 14, 2014 wrote:
So, you accept losing due to a whole luck factor? When I go into a PvP match, I'm not asking for a whole lottery roll to see if I'm going to end up winning or not. I don't go into a PvP match thinking "Okay well I hope I get pet heals and criticals so I can win my next match", because that's not Warlord. If large portions of strategies rely on pets healing and criticals, then I don't see what Warlord is. I never said I lose against pet heals, but it changes matches very quickly, and is capable of making or breaking a match. For example, I was against a Bad Juju spamming Jade with 77 resist to all schools and some decent block rating. I was second, of course, and he kept on using Sanctuary and I kept on having to put up Doom and Gloom. Eventually into the match, I was running out of options so I had to stack Balance dispels to Reshuffle luck him. I did so, and I was relying on one more turn to win the match. I used Scorpion with Infallible up, it nearly killed him, and I could've used Judgement the next turn and win but his pet used Healing Current. I was hoping it would heal the 100 version, but it didn't. It healed the 1000. Add that up now. Level 100 Jade gear, Cosmic Kris, Stellar Signet, Mandolin of Evermore, a Sanctuary, and that's back to full health. After that, I ran out of opportunities to win. The Bad Juju spamming started again, I was running out of cards, got drowned in Bad Jujus with the pet constantly healing him, and I eventually just discarded all of my cards. This is why I don't wand a talent healing above 860. Why? Because Satyr itself is 4 pips, and if a healing talent does more than Satyr, it's overpowered.

That's how pet heals can make or break a match. Sometimes in PvP, you only have one window of opportunity to win the match. However, pet heals such as Energizing Battery can shut this window and make it impossible to win the match. I'm not asking for PvP matches to be easier for me, I'm asking for it to be possible to win from any situation, whether I'm vs a Jade or a critical spammer.
Again, it is not a "whole luck factor." Luck is one part of many factors. Yes, there have been matches I have won because luck was on my side, and matches I have lost because it was not. But honestly, those matches have been the exceptions to the rule. Most matches are won or lost because of the overall strategy and spell combos of each respective player.

And yes, I am mature enough to accept losing when luck goes to the other player. That is part of playing a game. It is called "good sportsmanship," and it is the socially accepted norm in most gaming environments.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4118
PvP King on Jun 14, 2014 wrote:
So, you accept losing due to a whole luck factor? When I go into a PvP match, I'm not asking for a whole lottery roll to see if I'm going to end up winning or not. I don't go into a PvP match thinking "Okay well I hope I get pet heals and criticals so I can win my next match", because that's not Warlord. If large portions of strategies rely on pets healing and criticals, then I don't see what Warlord is. I never said I lose against pet heals, but it changes matches very quickly, and is capable of making or breaking a match. For example, I was against a Bad Juju spamming Jade with 77 resist to all schools and some decent block rating. I was second, of course, and he kept on using Sanctuary and I kept on having to put up Doom and Gloom. Eventually into the match, I was running out of options so I had to stack Balance dispels to Reshuffle luck him. I did so, and I was relying on one more turn to win the match. I used Scorpion with Infallible up, it nearly killed him, and I could've used Judgement the next turn and win but his pet used Healing Current. I was hoping it would heal the 100 version, but it didn't. It healed the 1000. Add that up now. Level 100 Jade gear, Cosmic Kris, Stellar Signet, Mandolin of Evermore, a Sanctuary, and that's back to full health. After that, I ran out of opportunities to win. The Bad Juju spamming started again, I was running out of cards, got drowned in Bad Jujus with the pet constantly healing him, and I eventually just discarded all of my cards. This is why I don't wand a talent healing above 860. Why? Because Satyr itself is 4 pips, and if a healing talent does more than Satyr, it's overpowered.

That's how pet heals can make or break a match. Sometimes in PvP, you only have one window of opportunity to win the match. However, pet heals such as Energizing Battery can shut this window and make it impossible to win the match. I'm not asking for PvP matches to be easier for me, I'm asking for it to be possible to win from any situation, whether I'm vs a Jade or a critical spammer.
You ARE asking for PvP matches to be easier though. That's specifically what you are asking for. You keep claiming this talent is the one thing that makes winning impossible for you. Stop pretending that you don't want it gone to make things easier for YOU.

Astrologist
Oct 22, 2011
1077
All you are interested in is how the game affects YOU, and no one else who plays the game. Your concern is only for PvP, and as you've mentioned before, it's the biggest part of the game and you only PvE to get what you need for PvP. You don't like a spell, pet, or gear piece? You want it nerfed.

Thinking only of yourself is the ultimate in selfishness, and believe me, everyone can now see that in these posts. You're not concerned about how something affects other players, it's all about you. I believe you mentioned about having a level 5 warlord that only has a 16 card deck and don't have access to spells, gear, or whatnot, yet you are up against level 30-40 warlords, because YOU won't level up to get what you need. And, because of that, everyone else in the game is suppose to suffer for it, because you want everyone else to drop down to your how you want to play.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1558
FinnAgainWindrider on Jun 15, 2014 wrote:
Again, it is not a "whole luck factor." Luck is one part of many factors. Yes, there have been matches I have won because luck was on my side, and matches I have lost because it was not. But honestly, those matches have been the exceptions to the rule. Most matches are won or lost because of the overall strategy and spell combos of each respective player.

And yes, I am mature enough to accept losing when luck goes to the other player. That is part of playing a game. It is called "good sportsmanship," and it is the socially accepted norm in most gaming environments.
Whoops, just a correction to my last post. I used Judgement and was ready to Scorpion the next turn but his pet healed. Anyways, luck isn't one part of the game, it takes over most of the system. Yes, strategy and planning ahead works very well in PvP, but if your opponent gets insanely lucky, you're going to lose for sure.

Ok, so you can accept losing when it comes to luck, but many other people don't. Many people's reactions is "wow, you just got lucky", and with more and more people complaining about luck in the game, it's showing how much luck is affecting PvP right now. Almost every PvP match is determined by luck, whether it be a fizzle, going second, pulling the right card, getting a power pip, having your minion choose the right card, getting a critical on your heal/attack, blocking your opponent's critical, having your pet to heal, etc. It's all luck, the only part about skill is using the right card at the right time, which with MC Healing Current, makes almost no card used at the right time. If you use an attack and it does less than 1000 damage, it's a complete waste of pips and possibly a damage enchantment.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1558
seethe42 on Jun 15, 2014 wrote:
You ARE asking for PvP matches to be easier though. That's specifically what you are asking for. You keep claiming this talent is the one thing that makes winning impossible for you. Stop pretending that you don't want it gone to make things easier for YOU.
So, because I want my attacks to actually count in a PvP match, I'm trying to make it easier for me? No, you're the one trying to make it easier for you. You want a healing talent that undos 1000+ damage, did you not realize that? I'm fine with Fairy Friend, it's 480, not as high as most enchanted attacks, Spritely is 350, again not as high as most enchanted attacks but still able to save you, I'm fine with Unicorn because it heals 315, could also heal your minion but that's easily dealt with. However, a 1000 heal. Okay, so my opponent saves 4 pips from using Satyr. The attack I just used was gone to waste and actually ended up healing my opponent. I could've shielded or used anything else in the world, but no, the pet had to heal when I attack. Healing Current is undoing the attack and healing over it.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1558
BrynnerOfReign on Jun 16, 2014 wrote:
All you are interested in is how the game affects YOU, and no one else who plays the game. Your concern is only for PvP, and as you've mentioned before, it's the biggest part of the game and you only PvE to get what you need for PvP. You don't like a spell, pet, or gear piece? You want it nerfed.

Thinking only of yourself is the ultimate in selfishness, and believe me, everyone can now see that in these posts. You're not concerned about how something affects other players, it's all about you. I believe you mentioned about having a level 5 warlord that only has a 16 card deck and don't have access to spells, gear, or whatnot, yet you are up against level 30-40 warlords, because YOU won't level up to get what you need. And, because of that, everyone else in the game is suppose to suffer for it, because you want everyone else to drop down to your how you want to play.
It might be selfishness, sure, but if that's being selfish then so is having the talent. If you have the talent and it heals you 1000, that's no skill. Thats just luck right there. The talent itself heals more than Satyr, a 4 pip Life spell, it does more damage than Triton, a 6 pip Storm spell, with heal boost, it can even recover from a Storm Owl attack. Are you serious? You actually want a talent like that? A spell that can recover from a 10 pip attack from the strongest school? That to me, is just desperate to win.

Yeah, maybe I don't want to level up my level 5 wizard, because if I did, I'd still face people many levels higher than me. It doesn't matter what level I am, if I'm a high rank, I'll face higher level opponents who have MC Healing Current. If I level up to a high level and have a really high rank, I won't get paired up against anybody. Great solution, thanks.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
717
PvP King on Jun 17, 2014 wrote:
Whoops, just a correction to my last post. I used Judgement and was ready to Scorpion the next turn but his pet healed. Anyways, luck isn't one part of the game, it takes over most of the system. Yes, strategy and planning ahead works very well in PvP, but if your opponent gets insanely lucky, you're going to lose for sure.

Ok, so you can accept losing when it comes to luck, but many other people don't. Many people's reactions is "wow, you just got lucky", and with more and more people complaining about luck in the game, it's showing how much luck is affecting PvP right now. Almost every PvP match is determined by luck, whether it be a fizzle, going second, pulling the right card, getting a power pip, having your minion choose the right card, getting a critical on your heal/attack, blocking your opponent's critical, having your pet to heal, etc. It's all luck, the only part about skill is using the right card at the right time, which with MC Healing Current, makes almost no card used at the right time. If you use an attack and it does less than 1000 damage, it's a complete waste of pips and possibly a damage enchantment.
Well, if people can't accept losing when it comes to luck, then they really need to grow up. This game includes luck -- as do many, many games. So if you play this game, there are times when you may lose due to luck. It comes with the territory.

Luck is an essential component of the game design for Wizard101, and it follows a tradition of hundreds of years of games that include chance in their fun quotient (all dice-rolling games are this way). If you can't accept this fact, then you may have picked the wrong game to be playing.

But your claim that luck cancels out everything else is utterly without merit. I guarantee you that if anyone went into a match and did nothing but let their pet cast spells, they would lose. That would be pure luck, and it would fail.

But no one does that. Successful players go into matches well-prepared and well equipped, and through the whole aggregate of equipment, pets, pip management, and spell casting, develop styles of play that give them success. If you have such a style, congratulations. But don't expect everyone else to adopt your style or to want to adopt your style, and don't ask the whole game to be nerfed so that your style reigns supreme at the expense of all others.

I for one really like my healing pets. I know many others do too -- most of the people posting on this thread, in fact.

I have also made my points in this conversation, and I think I have made them quite soundly. I think: a) your request to nerf healing current is a bad one, and I would like the pet heals left alone, b) your arguments are not very convincing and seem selfishly designed to distort the game as a whole so that you yourself can win in the arena easily and in the way you like, c) what you are suggesting actually would corrupt key parts of the fun quotient in the game, namely, the helpfulness of pets both in PVP and PVE, and the surprise/thrill element of chance that comes with the pet heals, d) what you are suggesting would also be a betrayal to those of us who have worked hard and spent money to get the pets we have.

I can also see that you will most likely not let this rest, and will try to keep having the last word -- as you have had to respond to almost every single post anyone has made. This thread has reached the point of no longer being constructive, and has degenerated into an "ad nauseam" back-and-forth that is not worth putting more effort into. So, having made my points, I'm done.

Happy Wizarding Everyone! May your pets heal with gusto and enthusiasm!

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1558
FinnAgainWindrider on Jun 17, 2014 wrote:
Well, if people can't accept losing when it comes to luck, then they really need to grow up. This game includes luck -- as do many, many games. So if you play this game, there are times when you may lose due to luck. It comes with the territory.

Luck is an essential component of the game design for Wizard101, and it follows a tradition of hundreds of years of games that include chance in their fun quotient (all dice-rolling games are this way). If you can't accept this fact, then you may have picked the wrong game to be playing.

But your claim that luck cancels out everything else is utterly without merit. I guarantee you that if anyone went into a match and did nothing but let their pet cast spells, they would lose. That would be pure luck, and it would fail.

But no one does that. Successful players go into matches well-prepared and well equipped, and through the whole aggregate of equipment, pets, pip management, and spell casting, develop styles of play that give them success. If you have such a style, congratulations. But don't expect everyone else to adopt your style or to want to adopt your style, and don't ask the whole game to be nerfed so that your style reigns supreme at the expense of all others.

I for one really like my healing pets. I know many others do too -- most of the people posting on this thread, in fact.

I have also made my points in this conversation, and I think I have made them quite soundly. I think: a) your request to nerf healing current is a bad one, and I would like the pet heals left alone, b) your arguments are not very convincing and seem selfishly designed to distort the game as a whole so that you yourself can win in the arena easily and in the way you like, c) what you are suggesting actually would corrupt key parts of the fun quotient in the game, namely, the helpfulness of pets both in PVP and PVE, and the surprise/thrill element of chance that comes with the pet heals, d) what you are suggesting would also be a betrayal to those of us who have worked hard and spent money to get the pets we have.

I can also see that you will most likely not let this rest, and will try to keep having the last word -- as you have had to respond to almost every single post anyone has made. This thread has reached the point of no longer being constructive, and has degenerated into an "ad nauseam" back-and-forth that is not worth putting more effort into. So, having made my points, I'm done.

Happy Wizarding Everyone! May your pets heal with gusto and enthusiasm!
Of course nobody goes into a PvP match with only pet heals, because pets can't attack. However, I know and have seen many wizards packing only one or two heals in their decks and just letting their pets spam to heal for them. This is how far pet talents have gone, and especially Energizing Battery. Like I've said before, nobody needs to heal 1000 from a pet. That's a fact.

Now, to counter your arguments:
a) Okay, that's your opinion, but has no point to it. You've never explained a good reason as to why Energizing Battery should be able to heal 1000.
b) Yes, my arguments are selfish, but so is having the talent like I've said before. Unlike most gear pieces, having Energizing Battery puts you at a colossal advantage towards your opponent. I said before that I'm fine with Fairy Friend and Spritely in higher levels of PvP, but as of right now the meta of the game isn't fast enough to implement a 1000 heal into pets.
c) No, pets are still extremely helpful in PvP and PvE without Energizing Battery. In PvE, most pets don't stop using Spritely or Unicorn until you're defeated, and Fairy Friend still happens often enough to give you a good heal. In PvP, I see Unicorn casting more than Spritely right now, and to be honest, having those 3 healing talents is enough. Like I've said, Wizard101 hasn't advanced far enough to have Energizing Battery heal 1000. No boss does that amount of damage, no attack spell less than 8 pips does that amount of damage (while the talent is at no cost), and certainly no healing card in the entire game heals that much. Satyr, Availing Hands, Rebirth, all those amazing heals don't heal as much as Energizing Battery. Regenerate does but it's a HoT, and Dryad consumes all of your pips.
d) No, the nerf that I am suggesting about Healing Current would put an overall balance in the game. You've never seen me say "remove the talent out of the game immediately" or any of the sort, I've simply said to make it cast less or increase the cast rate but make the heals lower.

No, I probably won't let this rest until I've seen a good enough point as to why Energizing Battery is needed to survive in PvE or PvP. And yes, arguing about is is a waste of time, because Energizing Battery is straight up an overpowered talent when it heals 1000.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
449
All I'm going to say is that, out of the last 8 times I've seen may cast healing current cast, it has cast the 1,000 heal 5 times, the 400 heal 0 times, and the 100 heal 3 times. I realize that it is a small sample size, but, if that sample is any indicator, this pet talent is very overpowered. Why should one player be able to heal 1/3+ of their heal for nothing while another player has to spend 4+ pips to do so? A few pet heals can be okay, sure. But when people start relying on their pet heals, it starts to get out of hand. When people have these pet heals along with a decent strategy, they complement the strategy so that against someone that may not have ridiculous luck/an amazing pet, the person whose pet spams easily wins. I agree with what people are saying: luck is an essential element of the game. However, when to much luck is introduced into the game, the game becomes less strategy-based and more like rolling dice. I know that's not why I play the game, although I don't know about others.

Historian
Aug 18, 2011
656
Healing Current isn't OP; it isn't even a reliable heal.

The average value of HC is 500 but you never know what you'll get. Fairy always heals for 480 and has a higher cast rate. Unicorn gives less health, but heals a whole team.

Really, if that one may-cast pet talent is ruining your game, the problem isn't the pet ;)

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1558
Aaron SpellThief on Jun 18, 2014 wrote:
All I'm going to say is that, out of the last 8 times I've seen may cast healing current cast, it has cast the 1,000 heal 5 times, the 400 heal 0 times, and the 100 heal 3 times. I realize that it is a small sample size, but, if that sample is any indicator, this pet talent is very overpowered. Why should one player be able to heal 1/3+ of their heal for nothing while another player has to spend 4+ pips to do so? A few pet heals can be okay, sure. But when people start relying on their pet heals, it starts to get out of hand. When people have these pet heals along with a decent strategy, they complement the strategy so that against someone that may not have ridiculous luck/an amazing pet, the person whose pet spams easily wins. I agree with what people are saying: luck is an essential element of the game. However, when to much luck is introduced into the game, the game becomes less strategy-based and more like rolling dice. I know that's not why I play the game, although I don't know about others.
For me, I've sampled the talent a lot. Against a Fire wizard on my Fire wizard, Energizing Battery healed 1000 twice and 400 once out of 3 times. On my Balance wizard against a Jade Death wizard, his pet casted Energizing Battery to heal 1000 11 times, 400 3 times, and 100 twice. Out of every sample I get, Energizing Battery seems to be healing 1000 most of the time. It even heals 1000 more often than the 400 and 100 combined.

And yeah, I agree with you. The more luck based this game gets (and is getting), the less strategy based it is, and as of right now, it requires minimal strategy to win a match.

Historian
Aug 18, 2011
656
PvP King on Jun 18, 2014 wrote:
For me, I've sampled the talent a lot. Against a Fire wizard on my Fire wizard, Energizing Battery healed 1000 twice and 400 once out of 3 times. On my Balance wizard against a Jade Death wizard, his pet casted Energizing Battery to heal 1000 11 times, 400 3 times, and 100 twice. Out of every sample I get, Energizing Battery seems to be healing 1000 most of the time. It even heals 1000 more often than the 400 and 100 combined.

And yeah, I agree with you. The more luck based this game gets (and is getting), the less strategy based it is, and as of right now, it requires minimal strategy to win a match.
That is nowhere close to an adequate sample. The cast rate of Battery is lower than Sprite and Fairy. It doesn't give the high value more. The average is 500. There is no reason to change anything.

Chance has always been, and will always be a part of the game.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1558
Prince of Shadows on Jun 18, 2014 wrote:
That is nowhere close to an adequate sample. The cast rate of Battery is lower than Sprite and Fairy. It doesn't give the high value more. The average is 500. There is no reason to change anything.

Chance has always been, and will always be a part of the game.
Yes, chance is a part of the game, and I will accept that. However, the key word here is "part." As of right now, the majority of the game relies on luck. MC Healing Current casting is from luck, and having it heal 1000 is again another factor of luck. All healing talents are based on 100% luck, especially Healing Current.

And yes, it is close to an adequate sample. I've probably seen Energizing Battery cast over 100 times now, and I'm not exactly keeping count, but I know for sure that the 1000 heal happens more than both the 400 and 100 heal combined. I'm not making a dramatic exaggeration to show how much the talent annoys me, I'm putting up the facts. Also, Energizing Battery is the only healing talent that occurs after both a shield or an attack is placed, and I've seen it happen. Therefore, it casts more often than Spritely because there are more triggers to the talent, and it heals a lot more.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
449
Prince of Shadows on Jun 18, 2014 wrote:
That is nowhere close to an adequate sample. The cast rate of Battery is lower than Sprite and Fairy. It doesn't give the high value more. The average is 500. There is no reason to change anything.

Chance has always been, and will always be a part of the game.
It may not be close to an adequate sample, but it is a large enough sample to indicate that cast rates for the 1,000 heal on healing current are quite high. For sprite and fairy, sure, maybe sprite is a higher cast rate; it seems to cast quite often; on the other hand, fairy hardly ever seems to cast anymore. Healing current, from my experience, has a much higher cast rate than fairy. Yes: the average value is 500...if all of the different of amounts of healing cast the same, which they do not appear to do. The average alone is more than a 2 pip heal, and it's free. This gives the player with a pet that even occasionally uses healing current a large pip advantage, making it very difficult for the opponent to win. Finally, yes, chance is, always has been, and always will be a part of the game; however, when the game becomes too much chance and not enough strategy, it becomes a glorified dice game. Luck does need to be a part of the game to keep it unpredictable, but strategy needs to be just as important as, if not more important, to the game than luck.

Historian
Aug 18, 2011
656
The cast rate of Battery is not higher than other heals. The high value is not more frequent. I am "exactly keeping count" ;)

You are arguing based on emotion and subjective experience, not facts.

The game has a huge element of chance - when your pet casts, what cards come up, when you crit/fizz/block/get a white or yellow pip - and what an enemy or minion does. All luck. If that bothers you so much want want the game changed, you may be playing the wrong game.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1558
Prince of Shadows on Jun 20, 2014 wrote:
The cast rate of Battery is not higher than other heals. The high value is not more frequent. I am "exactly keeping count" ;)

You are arguing based on emotion and subjective experience, not facts.

The game has a huge element of chance - when your pet casts, what cards come up, when you crit/fizz/block/get a white or yellow pip - and what an enemy or minion does. All luck. If that bothers you so much want want the game changed, you may be playing the wrong game.
No, LOL, I am not making my points from emotion and subjective experience, I'm probably the least emotional person you'll ever meet. And yes, it is higher than other heals. Energizing Battery heals from both attacks and shields, making a high cast rate combination. And yes, the 1000 heal is very frequent, everybody says so. And no, I'm not playing the wrong game, I'm simply explaining that Energizing Battery is overpowered. The other luck factors are controllable by gear, discarding, and your sideboard, while Energizing Battery isn't controlled by either of the three.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4118
Aaron SpellThief on Jun 19, 2014 wrote:
It may not be close to an adequate sample, but it is a large enough sample to indicate that cast rates for the 1,000 heal on healing current are quite high. For sprite and fairy, sure, maybe sprite is a higher cast rate; it seems to cast quite often; on the other hand, fairy hardly ever seems to cast anymore. Healing current, from my experience, has a much higher cast rate than fairy. Yes: the average value is 500...if all of the different of amounts of healing cast the same, which they do not appear to do. The average alone is more than a 2 pip heal, and it's free. This gives the player with a pet that even occasionally uses healing current a large pip advantage, making it very difficult for the opponent to win. Finally, yes, chance is, always has been, and always will be a part of the game; however, when the game becomes too much chance and not enough strategy, it becomes a glorified dice game. Luck does need to be a part of the game to keep it unpredictable, but strategy needs to be just as important as, if not more important, to the game than luck.
It's not remotely large enough to say ANYTHING about the cast rates at all. It's like saying I flipped a coin 8 times and it came out heads every time, therefore coins will always land on heads. It's preposterous logic that a sample of 8 casts somehow proves a pattern to you. The cast rate on Battery is lower than Fairy and Spritely to start. It's also been shown in everyone elses testing that it casts the lower heals far more often. I understand that your and PvP King's vast battery of 8 casts and 3 casts constitutes "a lot of testing" in your minds, but seriously, get over it.