Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

ice in pvp

AuthorMessage
Defender
Dec 16, 2009
164
Ice is not over powered i'm a level 75 pvp Knight life wizard if i can beat them then so can you it's easy but your on your own as to how to beat them come up with a strategy

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
953
Everyone has been complaining on Ice, but
Joujou11cool wrote this, and it says it all....

High health=Slow Attacks
High resist=Low damage

He also posted some better than average specs for an Ice,

4855 Health
34% damage
129 critical
49% resist all schools, 81% Fire resist, 77% Storm resist.
199 Ice block, and 145 block all schools
44% heal boost
68% PPC (Power Pip Chance)

Not everyone can take the time to craft all of this, or
spend countless hours in the Tower of the Helepphant, etc.
I have actually seen very few Ice Wizards in PvP that have this
good of a setup. They are good, but few really make it to
this setup.

Anyway, all I want to say is this, for the level 80 group.
They can't blade when most Death, Life, Myth and Balance are
using Earthquake. Most Death, Life and Balance I play against
have the Myth Amulet now.
They can't blade anymore against a Storm.
If they go up agianst an ICE, the Ice can steal their Blades.
About the only Wizards they can really blade up against is a
Fire, and maybe an Ice.

Add that to their Low Damage of 34%, and from Second they can't
even win. Plus their low PP chance of 68%, makes for long
white pips strings at times.

At 145% block, many wizards are showing 200 plus Critical, that
will blow right past that 145% block rating.

Yep, great health and Resist to two schools is all they got.
My Myth and Death both sit at 45% resist to all schools, Ice
only has 4% more to five wizards, not that much.

Plus, any school can have great resist to two schools if they want
to go after the crafted gear. My Death and Storm both have the
crafted gear, and have solid resist to two schools, not far off
from Ice for different schools.

I think all these whines are just because someone didn't put the
time or effort into getting the best gear and deck setup and lost.

Back for a short time,
Joe.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
953
FatesKin wrote:
kevke67 wrote:
Couldn't have said it better, and I'm a Fire Wizard.
My fire has been my central PvP toon, since I started.
I have found ways to beat Ice, you just have to think it
out and be prepared.
To all those that complain, go read the Book in the
Ice school, it explains everything.

Kev.


The problem isnt so much that ice is "unbeatable", this is demonstratably false as many storms and fires have figured out a way to do so. What is a problem is that just by virtue of gear ice burdens 2 schools and forces them to use converts, tc pierce, a ridiculous amount of prep just to get an attack to hit at a relevant level wheras ice does not have this burden to go through. Also, your argument using the school books found in each of the associated classrooms is flawed. The books are inherently biased towards the classes they represent(note how each school's respective titan is in the right and the other 2 are in the wrong). Also if your theory was correct then I would assume that fire should be able to obtain storm and ice immunity and storm to obtain ice and fire immunity and we can all agree that such a proposition is ridiculous.


To: FatesKin (Stop Complaining about Ice thread).

The problem isnt so much that ice is "unbeatable", this is demonstratably false as many storms and fires have figured out a way to do so.

*My Reply, I can agree with this, and I have seen plenty of Fire and Storm Beat Ice. There are skilled Fire and Storm that come up with some good and some excellent strategies, that work. Even with Ice’s 70 percent resist, remember that Heckhound on a critical can do over 6000 damage at 40% resist. This is exactly why KI added the option of this high resist, to the weakest school (which is Ice) in the game. Take another 30%, and you still got 4000 damage to an Ice, now anyone should be able to see what KI is trying to do with the resist values, give an Ice wizard a chance in the PVP game.
----------------------------------------------------

What is a problem is that just by virtue of gear ice burdens 2 schools and forces them to use converts, tc pierce, a ridiculous amount of prep just to get an attack to hit at a relevant level wheras ice does not have this burden to go through.

*My Reply, All schools can heavily burden two schools, haven’t you looked at the level 78 crafted gear? In fact, if you look at the Crafted gear, you can see that each school gets higher resist to certain stronger schools. KI has clearly designed this into the game, and I don’t understand why people don’t seem to get this simple fact. Ice, since early on, has had universal resist, that is a trait of the school that many whiners complain about. They have, and hopefully always will have about 15% more resist, and it is an absolute necessity with their weak hits and low Accuracy and average pips. Fire and Storm have the strongest hits in the game, and have the ability to completely overwhelm an opponent. Just because one wizard has resist to them, we have to whine about it, I find that ridiculous.
I had two wizards at 45% universal resist, and they were not Ice. The Average Ice only has about 4% more for most Wizards. How is this fair, that Wizards with a lot more hitting power only lack 4% to what Ice (still the weakest hitting school in the game) has for five of the seven wizards? Please go read JouJou11cool’s posting, to get some insight on this subject.
---------------------------------------------

Also, your argument using the school books found in each of the associated classrooms is flawed. The books are inherently biased towards the classes they represent(note how each school's respective titan is in the right and the other 2 are in the wrong).

*My Reply, One school book was used by Kevin (who happens to be my younger brother irl), no other book was referenced. He stated from the ICE book only. Where did he state anything at all about the other books? Please show it to me in Black and white.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Also if your theory was correct then I would assume that fire should be able to obtain storm and ice immunity and storm to obtain ice and fire immunity and we can all agree that such a proposition is ridiculous.

*My Reply, How in the world did he (Kevin) come up with a Theory on Storm and Fire’s immunity? What is simply ridiculous is you drawing that conclusion based on what he said. That is some wayward conclusion you seem to have drawn, how I have no idea. Fire and Storm should never have immunity to the weakest school in the game, that would make absolutely no sense at all.
To add to this, I just stopped over to the Ice book and read it, and it states exactly what he said it did. I won’t quote it, but it does say, because the Ice magic was from Giants, it will always be stronger than that of Fire and Storm. Is that being bias, or is that a statement from KI giving you advanced notice of the way the game will be? Who knows, but I will say, the book certainly doesn’t following your wild conclusions.

Joe.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
953
jameson143 wrote:
leporter wrote:
This is just based on your stats. "Overpowered" should consist of all the stats AND the spells together. With your ice wizard's stats, look at his/her spells.
In a way, all schools could be called overpowered. Storm, with their impossible damage, Ice with their health/resist, and etc. All schools have something that makes them special.
Ice: they can literally get 60 universal resistance while resisting 100 against fire and storm. Gotta agree: that's overpowered.


Show me the setup that gives you 60 Resist to everyone and 100 resist to fire and storm. I can tell you right now, it will give not Power Pips, poor accuracy, poor boost and little critical block.
With that setup, you won't be able to kill from second.
You will be like a life that is in the ring just to outlife you, but never attack. If that's anyone's idea of PvP, they are just wasting everyones time........

My brother use to set up his fire Wizard years ago with 100 percent Fire resist for battles. But his hit, and everything else dropped low.

I think of PvP in this game and every other game I play as the Roman Galdiators, go in with the best Gear and skill and try to win.
It's not about running so they can't catch you, while screaming, asking them not to hurt you..... that's not what it's about.

Figth like a warrior and don't whine, or get out of the ring.

Joe.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
953
SantaIceBurg wrote:
Yeah, and about 100 other threads say the same thing! Haha, by now, KingsIsle would've already changed Ice??? They can't! They made Ice! Ice is evolving, just like all the other school's our! Storm gets more attack, Ice gets more resist and health. When level 90 comes I won't be surprised if Storm resist got to over 100 for Ice! But it's at trade off, as the attack will stay low and the power pips will stay around 60%. KI can't do anything about a school. They changed Guardian Spirit, a spell, which was simply just idiotic to due. But at least KI shows they listen to their community.

I have some ideas!

Don't nerf Ice. That is a bias as I am an Ice Archmage, but Ice deserves a little more fame. I don't know hot it is from other school's point of views, but even with the crafted gear, it comes down to the pet, and the player.

I can't say much more than that schools are growing and everything is getting raised. I can also say KingsIsle will not be making any changes to Ice. I cannot speak for the company, but I can assure you it would hurt more people than it did nerfing Guardian Spirit, which was also a bad idea...


SantaIceBurg,

I agree with everything you stated, except the very last line.
I really think that Guardian Spirit was always meant to be 15% heal, actually for a number of reasons.

First, if you noticed the packs came out with the spell at 20
%. This had to be done well ahead of time, and we all know they are always higher than the actual spell.

Second, KI moved very quickly to change the spell, far faster then they ever have done so before. Why, I don't know, they wouldn't say. For for a heal of 2000 to 4000, it makes sense they never meant for it to hit that high and did dropped it.

Third, When Guardian Spirit is case, it can critical, and most lifes have a high critical rating. From what I have seen, the average critical Guardian Spirit hits for around 1600 to 1800. That is one heck of a heal for 5 pips.

Fourth, in PVE, the enemy needs to have at least a chance of winning. If not, then the whole game is a waste, no excitement, no fun, nothing.
There has to be a challenge to the game, and if Guardian Spirit takes that away completely, which it did at 20%, it kills the fun of the game.
My life wizard doesn't even use Guardian Spirit, and if it is used, it's used on Storm or sometimes a Fire or Myth.

Now, as far as Ice being nerfed, when Judge, Heckhound, Medusa, etc, were never nerfed, no way.

Those are my thoughts,
Joe.


Survivor
Sep 06, 2010
32
RavenLady777 wrote:
oh my gosh, how many people are going to whine about this?!
PvP is optional.
The spells, etc., for a school should NOT be changed just because you can't figure out how to beat them.


I so agree. People complain about this stuff way too much.

Delver
Jun 02, 2010
222
"its impossible to beat ice if your storm"
Ha lol. This is so not true. Storm can beat ice wizards with the proper strategies and preparation.

Survivor
May 30, 2009
3
Lion359 wrote:
jameson143 wrote:
leporter wrote:
This is just based on your stats. "Overpowered" should consist of all the stats AND the spells together. With your ice wizard's stats, look at his/her spells.
In a way, all schools could be called overpowered. Storm, with their impossible damage, Ice with their health/resist, and etc. All schools have something that makes them special.
Ice: they can literally get 60 universal resistance while resisting 100 against fire and storm. Gotta agree: that's overpowered.


Show me the setup that gives you 60 Resist to everyone and 100 resist to fire and storm. I can tell you right now, it will give not Power Pips, poor accuracy, poor boost and little critical block.
With that setup, you won't be able to kill from second.
You will be like a life that is in the ring just to outlife you, but never attack. If that's anyone's idea of PvP, they are just wasting everyones time........

My brother use to set up his fire Wizard years ago with 100 percent Fire resist for battles. But his hit, and everything else dropped low.

I think of PvP in this game and every other game I play as the Roman Galdiators, go in with the best Gear and skill and try to win.
It's not about running so they can't catch you, while screaming, asking them not to hurt you..... that's not what it's about.

Figth like a warrior and don't whine, or get out of the ring.

Joe.


Sorry Joe, I have to disagree with you. You might consider 30 damage low, but with colossal, a bubble, and stacked treasure card blades, ice can still hit very hard. Plus, they've got 60 universal resist to all and fire/storm immunity. So it's not like they're giving up resistance to other schools. To add on, they can easily get more power pip % and damage with pet talents such as pain giver and pip o plenty. To top it all off, ice also has a massive health pool. After a bladed attack with pierce, they won't die. Then, with a life mastery amulet, they can just satyr that round back to full health (most ices I see have stellar signet and cosmic kris, giving them crazy healing boost). The problem is that by the time you can even get in the position to attack, your health will be extremely low from countless frostbites and snow angels. You have to waste turns using triages that might not even work if they life dispel you that round. Every school needs to have its advantages and disadvantages, not one ultimate school that tramples over the others. I hope Kingsisle considers this issue when they release the new worlds and buff up the storm and fire gear so we can actually deal decent damage to an ice player without having to set up prisms and infallibles.

Champion
Feb 29, 2012
488
shadekill37 wrote:
Lion359 wrote:
jameson143 wrote:
leporter wrote:
This is just based on your stats. "Overpowered" should consist of all the stats AND the spells together. With your ice wizard's stats, look at his/her spells.
In a way, all schools could be called overpowered. Storm, with their impossible damage, Ice with their health/resist, and etc. All schools have something that makes them special.
Ice: they can literally get 60 universal resistance while resisting 100 against fire and storm. Gotta agree: that's overpowered.


Show me the setup that gives you 60 Resist to everyone and 100 resist to fire and storm. I can tell you right now, it will give not Power Pips, poor accuracy, poor boost and little critical block.
With that setup, you won't be able to kill from second.
You will be like a life that is in the ring just to outlife you, but never attack. If that's anyone's idea of PvP, they are just wasting everyones time........

My brother use to set up his fire Wizard years ago with 100 percent Fire resist for battles. But his hit, and everything else dropped low.

I think of PvP in this game and every other game I play as the Roman Galdiators, go in with the best Gear and skill and try to win.
It's not about running so they can't catch you, while screaming, asking them not to hurt you..... that's not what it's about.

Figth like a warrior and don't whine, or get out of the ring.

Joe.


Sorry Joe, I have to disagree with you. You might consider 30 damage low, but with colossal, a bubble, and stacked treasure card blades, ice can still hit very hard. Plus, they've got 60 universal resist to all and fire/storm immunity. So it's not like they're giving up resistance to other schools. To add on, they can easily get more power pip % and damage with pet talents such as pain giver and pip o plenty. To top it all off, ice also has a massive health pool. After a bladed attack with pierce, they won't die. Then, with a life mastery amulet, they can just satyr that round back to full health (most ices I see have stellar signet and cosmic kris, giving them crazy healing boost). The problem is that by the time you can even get in the position to attack, your health will be extremely low from countless frostbites and snow angels. You have to waste turns using triages that might not even work if they life dispel you that round. Every school needs to have its advantages and disadvantages, not one ultimate school that tramples over the others. I hope Kingsisle considers this issue when they release the new worlds and buff up the storm and fire gear so we can actually deal decent damage to an ice player without having to set up prisms and infallibles.


I guess that means I should go level up my Ice.

Survivor
Dec 21, 2010
3
Hello Wizard101 Fans, I am Dylan GoldenHeart

I got a storm wizard which is now level 44. :D .But sadly :(, I being losing to all off the school just won like 13 or less.And i lost about like 20 all ready and really find it hard to PvP (Player VS Player) as you know.But my fire Archmage
is a Sergeant in PvP and is finding hard to VS Ice which my school and I mostly hate.
So now . How Many Times Does A Wild Bolt Hit?
So For 1000 = It just hits 5 Times Then It Goes Back to 100.
For 100 = Again 5 Times Then It Goes Back to 10 And it is the same for 10

Dylan Goldenheart
Level 44

Survivor
Apr 28, 2012
45
not OP every school has the same pros and cons. and if ice would be OP in this state then all the other school are over powered. i know ice is good at pvp well not exactly pvp it is good at denfence which is one of there pros so deal with it. i could give ya a big long list of pros and cons of all the schools right now but it will take to long!!!!!!

Survivor
Sep 24, 2010
28
Zeze 121 on Oct 14, 2012 wrote:
not OP every school has the same pros and cons. and if ice would be OP in this state then all the other school are over powered. i know ice is good at pvp well not exactly pvp it is good at denfence which is one of there pros so deal with it. i could give ya a big long list of pros and cons of all the schools right now but it will take to long!!!!!!
An Ice friend of mine has 47 universal resist and 70+ fire and storm resists. That is the best stats I have seen so far. So other schools who have about 40+ resist have fair chance to defeat Ice. Ice for me is created immortal to fire and storm maybe because of their low attack, but other schools will not find Ice overpowered. I am starting an Ice now and I realize that shortcomings of Ice. Although, when I know I am facing a Fire and Storm on PvP, I already see victory. lol! BTW, my main character is fire.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
1359
Celestial Snow Smock - 17% Universal Resist
Boots from Pack: 16% Universal Resist
Frostbit Hat: 12%
Heartsteel: 5%
Pet: 15%
Ring: 3%
68% universal resist. If not 62% from Frostbit boots.
They can have 27% from pet with double proof glitch and 2 selfish talents.
That's a max of 80% Universal resist. Not OP? You all must be insane.

Survivor
Sep 24, 2010
28
Well. Yesterday fresh from playing Ice, I returned my Fire to PvP. Of all the 7 fights, I only lost to Ice with 75 fire resist. I dont bring convert because of my strategy that is applicable to all schools, even Ice. I lost not because I was dead but because I had to leave. We stayed like more than 3 hours in PvP. And you may not believe it, her 4000 health even went to less than a thousand twice while my 3500 never went below 1500. Before that, I defeated an Ice with 64 fire resist. Both of them are the first to hit. Well, they really are overpowered against Fire and Storm.

Survivor
May 26, 2012
16
I agree that Ice is a bit overpowered in pvp. The main reason for this is that their stats allow them to use several strategies that almost always work perfectly. This makes them very difficult to defeat because in pvp you cannot set up your deck to fight a specific opponent since you don't know who you are fighting.

Since there seems to be a lot of controversy on the subject on the power of ice I suggest more minor changes.

Maybe lower their health by 50 points on all ice gear which can bring them down a good 150-250 health points.
Make any maximum resist 70%.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
4942
Warlord Maria on Oct 27, 2012 wrote:
I agree that Ice is a bit overpowered in pvp. The main reason for this is that their stats allow them to use several strategies that almost always work perfectly. This makes them very difficult to defeat because in pvp you cannot set up your deck to fight a specific opponent since you don't know who you are fighting.

Since there seems to be a lot of controversy on the subject on the power of ice I suggest more minor changes.

Maybe lower their health by 50 points on all ice gear which can bring them down a good 150-250 health points.
Make any maximum resist 70%.
No.
There is no reason to penalize Ice because some people haven't figured out how to beat them.
It is possible; it just takes time.

Explorer
Sep 03, 2012
55
Survivor
Sep 14, 2011
1
70% resistance is ridiculous you really dont need skill to win, i would agree to at most 50% that way we can seprate the good players from the noobs.

Survivor
Jul 06, 2010
45
kevke67 on Aug 14, 2012 wrote:
In the Ice school, there is something that all
Ice and Storm (and any other school) needs to
read.

Go over to the Book Pedestal, and read the book.

As you read the book, it states the following,

"And because it is derived from the Giants,
Ice Magic will always be more powerful than
that of Fire and Storm."

Ice's Power is and always has been in it's
resist imo, it has the best in the game.
It appears to me, that Wizard101 is finally
living up to these printed words.

So for anyone that can't understand why
Ice has resist to Fire and Storm, go
read the book..... then you can stop
complaining. Because this is the way
it should be, read it and weep.

Kev.
guess what read the fire book ;3

Survivor
Apr 28, 2012
45
Ice= not op

victoria- death lvl 66
victoria- balance lvl 16
victoria lvl 30 ice

Astrologist
Oct 22, 2011
1077
Warlord Maria on Oct 27, 2012 wrote:
I agree that Ice is a bit overpowered in pvp. The main reason for this is that their stats allow them to use several strategies that almost always work perfectly. This makes them very difficult to defeat because in pvp you cannot set up your deck to fight a specific opponent since you don't know who you are fighting.

Since there seems to be a lot of controversy on the subject on the power of ice I suggest more minor changes.

Maybe lower their health by 50 points on all ice gear which can bring them down a good 150-250 health points.
Make any maximum resist 70%.
There are too many posts as it is about Ice, people. How about keeping it in one thread instead of rehashing the same thing over and over and over again. Get a grip. No school is overpowered or under powered. You have to actually THINK about strategy and figure out how to overcome obstacles. Things are not going to be handed to you on a platter, just because a tiny portion of the game has people that can't figure out how to play.

PvE is what the game is based on, not PvP. PvP is a small part of the game that wants to nerf schools to cater to their needs.

Stop whining and start strategizing.

Survivor
Apr 28, 2012
45
Ice is not over powered. It just takes time to figure out how to beat them but it is possible

Survivor
Oct 08, 2011
45
AngelicWolf1337 on Aug 22, 2012 wrote:
Ice is not over powered i'm a level 75 pvp Knight life wizard if i can beat them then so can you it's easy but your on your own as to how to beat them come up with a strategy
ice is over powered if you had chosen a fire or storm you would understand. life can just triage against ices angels or even spam heal it off, not going to go further into that. if you read the other posts you would understand what fire and storm are going through

Survivor
Jun 29, 2010
4
I agree that ice is not overpowered it is possible to beat them and I am not even ice you just have to destroy them before they can use too much I suggest shielding to waste their pips and keep their shielding down with a fire elf because it only costs 2 pips which is hardly any and them hit them because ice is best at shielding and long term duels

Survivor
May 03, 2009
18
Blake the balance on Aug 14, 2012 wrote:
ice has high health and good advantages because they have weak attacks
I would agree but NO! Angel is definitely not weak. Nor is Mammoth if you have blades..plus stun.