Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

balance is overpowered

AuthorMessage
Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Veracity8 on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
Ok, for you and everyone else, lets see if can find the proof in what is stated
in the above statement.

Let's take the top 250 players, and look at the number of Wizards that are 90 or above.

I will list their positions......

Storm, 1, 5, 9, 58, 96, 106, 112, 115, 176, 194.
Ice, .. 3, 71, 198, 219, Note that Ice has a Wizard up in the 3rd position.
Fire, ... 7, 15, 228. Note that Fire has one wizard up in the 7th position.
Balance, 14, 17, 46, 77, 230 (Ho ho, not even in the top Ten, but starting at 14th.
Myth 40, 131, 156.
Death 62.
Life 127th.

Storm has a total of 10 wizard in the top 250.
Balance has a total of 5 Wizards in the top 250.
Ice is higher in position, but only has 4 in the top 250.
Fire and Myth are down at 3 in the top 250.
Death and Life only have 1 in the top 250.

Clearing showing that you should have written that Storm is way over powered, not
Balance. So, please rewrite this and change it over to Storm.

The Above chart clearly shows that the order goes....

1. Storm. #1 and #5.
2. Ice. #3
3. Fire. #7.
4. Balance # 14.
5. Myth # 40.
6. Death # 62.
7. Life # 127.

Actually, I listed the order of the Level 90 wizards a while ago, and the above list matches
very close.

The above is fact, not random statements trying to generalize, but numeric order.
Limiting it to lvl 90+ makes no real sense. A lot of the top ranked players choose not to level up to 90 for various reasons. In the top 250 there's actually

So basically life being in last place is the only correct order in fact. Storm has the second lowest numbers in the top 250, when you don't skew it by arbitrarily picking levels.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
stormninja542 on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
You act as though people HAVE to use empower when vs balance. Why should we have to? Why should we have to load our decks with empowers to counter one spell? Loremaster can easily be spammed and the black mantle can cause you to fizzle. Okay so you say people complain about balance because we have to find a solution to defeating balance. The problem with the solutions to countering balance's spells causes people to entirely change their deck setup or tc deck setup or even pets. Like I mentioned before, why should I have to load my deck up with empowers to counter loremaster. Why should I have to load up on low pip spells to counter mana burn? Why should I have to take out my auras or discard them just to counter supernova. Why can't I have a pet with may cast infallible? This is an issue right not and the problem is mostly coming from balance's spells. So yea, there are solutions to countering balance but it will require you to nearly completely change your deck, pet, etc. If you don't even vs a balance then the new deck setup or new pet was completely pointless. No one wants to make those kind of changes because of one school's spells and now because we won't make those changes, countering balance's spells is very difficult and therefore makes it seem as an op school. Oh yea, about myth being the "pvp kings" how about you take a survey. Ask 20 max lvl pvp warlords and ask them if they think max lvl myth is the best pvp school. I will be surprised if 2 out of the 20 say yes.
Every single school in the arena causes you to play differently, it's not just Balance. Ice makes Fire and Storm wizards prism, Life makes other schools Doom and Gloom, Myth makes other schools buy Stun Blocks, Storm makes other schools put in heals and 70% shields (80% even in the lower levels), Death makes you use Empowers and all that just to shake off Feint. But right when Balance makes other schools have to do something, it's apparently bad.Yes, Balance does make you use Empower or Sacrifice, just like any other school has to put in spells. If you put a deck to deal with every single school except Balance, then what's the point? At max level PvP, you have 64 card slots. How does that not give you enough room to counter all 7 schools while keeping your strategy the same? And no, nobody needs to focus on Balance gear to defeat Balance, as most schools go for higher Storm resist than any other school. If you look at the highest rank pvpers on the leaderboard, you won't see people defending specifically against Balance, it's more often going for Storm block rating (Triskelion Band, you've probably seen people use it before they got the Alpha and Omega ring), why don't they use the Silver Petal Band? Because Balance isn't the most dangerous school in the Arena, it simply makes you put in cards to defeat it, just like any other school. What's a strategy if it wasn't made to defeat all your opponents? Balance counts as a school too, and it can have its advantages as well. If you look around at other schools, they have their advantages already, but as soon as Balance gets one it's the end of the world. No, change your deck, PvP wasn't meant to be a simple game where you can put just about any card you want in your deck and hope to win, it takes work. And if people are too lazy to work on beating one simple school, then I don't know what makes them try and beat the other ones.

Delver
Jan 21, 2014
you now what? balance is OP in changing the rules, fire is OP in damage over time and in high critical ( i know because most fie wiz always get critical), ice is OP in strength and stuning, storm is OP in attacking and in attack all, life is OP with heals and accuracy, myth is OP in minions and taking away defense, death is OP in stealing and traps, and astral schools are OP in mutation, protecion , and polymorph. You see what i am saying?
and:
UP= under powerd
:is UP in healing
:is UP in attacking
:is UP in defense
:is UP in attacking
:is UP in defense
:is UP acurracy abit
:is UP in what most of the people have posted above.

isaac goldheart

" if you are gonna judge others, judge your self"

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
PvP King on Mar 29, 2014 wrote:
Yeah, spells do play a big part in greatness in PvP, and Loremaster does give Balance an edge in PvP. A lot of people have suggested for Loremaster to do 150-200 damage with the Weakness and Black Mantle, and that's just insane. Me and many other people didn't farm for months using our memberships to get a spell just for it to get nerfed down to nothing, that's why I really don't like when people complain about spells like that. The most important thing in PvP, no matter what spells you have, is taking control of the match. Every school does it their own way, and Balance's is simply cornering your opponent. That's what Balance is best at, but other schools can do it too, sometimes with more/less ease than Balance. Loremaster also isn't the whole reason as to why Balance wizards win PvP matches, I can assure you that 99% of the Balance wizards today could win matches without the spell. One thing that did come in my mind, which makes me think that the spell is a bit overpowered, is why Balance wizards specifically spend months or even a year farming to get such a spell, and I came to the conclusion that it's a lazy spell to use. It does everything you need all at once, damage, Black Mantle (a 35% chance to hit freely the next turn, the same way Power Link works except with a little more luck), and the Weakness.

Still, the spell alone isn't dangerous, and neither is Savage Paw or Mana Burn. If you play right against a Balance wizard, you can beat them at their own game. Supernova takes up space in the wizard's hand, giving them that one spell less to draw, Mana Burn could be sitting in your deck forever too if your opponent's a spammer, Judgement is seriously risky since it takes all your pips, and Loremaster isn't the best spell every time you use it. Other schools have their own advantages too, and they should learn to use them on their own. Balance is really easy to manipulate in PvP, and it's even easier to manipulate if you use Tower Shields. Balance still doesn't have an effective way of taking them off (Fire Elf TC could be a solution but that's 2 power pips gone to waste), and of course you probably have the same amount of Tower Shields as they do Colossals, so Balance can't exactly hit you hard through Towers. Balance isn't totally "underpowered", but it's not a strong enough school to be complained about. It also isn't one of the best, it's probably one of the hardest schools to play, simply because of all the farming/counters there are to Balance such as Snow Drift and how it forces Balance wizards to use Life Masteries, Tower Shields forcing Balances to attack slower at times while other schools can DoT and continue their play speed. That's the major disadvantage to Balance, and it definitelyy isn't overpowered. It isn't naturally underpowered, but in many cases compared to other high rank schools it is.
If you truly think 99% of max lvl balances pvp without loremaster then you are way off. I can promise you that without taking a survey. I am not asking for loremaster to be nerfed and unless you farm loremaster once a week it may take a year to get it lol. Balance is not easy to manipulate. Everything you're saying is just off and it's getting very annoying. PvP King, tell me WHY people don't complain about the myth school? About 95% of max lvl wizards will tell you max lvl myth isn't the king of 1v1. So, since you are a part of that 5% who feel myth is the king of 1v1, why don't you tell me why max lvl myth are the best school for pvp? You probably feel myth and fire are the king of 1v1 since they have the least problem with taking out shields while you have a problem with shields. Well one advantage doesn't make them the kings so get over that ridiculous theory. Balance these days are one of the most complained schools in pvp now and if you refer to my last post you will know why. Loremaster is a very good spell. You act as though the black mantle and weakness from it is pointless. If so how about we just remove the weakness and black mantle from it and everyone will stop complaining about it. You'll be happy because people will stop complaining and you don't care about it's side effects (unless you truly do). I see some balances make a simple solution as to putting fire elf tc in their tc deck. But you would probably complain that I don't want to change my deck to that style. Well guess what, everyone has to change their deck setup when vs balance or they will suffer when vs balance. You would know all the changes we have to make if you refer to my last post. Balance is no where by any means underpowered.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
pindot77 on Mar 28, 2014 wrote:
"Get a grip. Balance isn't any more over-powered than any other school."

Then, you're admitting to the fact that balance have become OP as you would say.

"I know what works and what doesn't. I try to work around the weaknesses and build on my strengths .... THAT is how it should be done, and not seeing someone whine that one school is OP because you don't know how to win."

Your line of arguing sound very pedantic and assuming.
Oh, please. You've clearly missed the point.

According to the hardcore pvp-set, any and all spells used against them are overpowered. This is because they want to win and expect to become insta-warlords, without having to bother with strategy or actual effort.

My max-level balance wizard used to pvp a bit. And, when I won, my opponents would come to the boards and cry that the entire school was OP. Just because you are underprepared and can't or don't know how to win does not make an entire school overpowered.

Balance requires a certain play-style. And it's because I am familiar with said play-style that my fire wizard is a pvp vet and routinely knocks off balance wizards who are several ranks and/or levels higher.

If balance wizards seem to have your number in the arena, remember that you have the exact same tools available as we do. And I'd take a good, hard look at your strategy, since I'm willing to bet that's the source of the issue.

Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate. That is all.

-von
Laura Shadowsong, awesome sauce-erer and twin to Brynner's super-wiz Rowan

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
PvP King on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
Every single school in the arena causes you to play differently, it's not just Balance. Ice makes Fire and Storm wizards prism, Life makes other schools Doom and Gloom, Myth makes other schools buy Stun Blocks, Storm makes other schools put in heals and 70% shields (80% even in the lower levels), Death makes you use Empowers and all that just to shake off Feint. But right when Balance makes other schools have to do something, it's apparently bad.Yes, Balance does make you use Empower or Sacrifice, just like any other school has to put in spells. If you put a deck to deal with every single school except Balance, then what's the point? At max level PvP, you have 64 card slots. How does that not give you enough room to counter all 7 schools while keeping your strategy the same? And no, nobody needs to focus on Balance gear to defeat Balance, as most schools go for higher Storm resist than any other school. If you look at the highest rank pvpers on the leaderboard, you won't see people defending specifically against Balance, it's more often going for Storm block rating (Triskelion Band, you've probably seen people use it before they got the Alpha and Omega ring), why don't they use the Silver Petal Band? Because Balance isn't the most dangerous school in the Arena, it simply makes you put in cards to defeat it, just like any other school. What's a strategy if it wasn't made to defeat all your opponents? Balance counts as a school too, and it can have its advantages as well. If you look around at other schools, they have their advantages already, but as soon as Balance gets one it's the end of the world. No, change your deck, PvP wasn't meant to be a simple game where you can put just about any card you want in your deck and hope to win, it takes work. And if people are too lazy to work on beating one simple school, then I don't know what makes them try and beat the other ones.
Let me just make a simple point to you-Can any other school do thousands of damage for 2 pips simply because of a pet spell? The answer would be no. Players going against balance have to dramatically alter their entire strategy. Often many cards have to be added because high pip attacks and star spells are useless. More heals have to be added because of balance's high damage output. I don't do max level pvp much, but according to you, empowers have to be added for loremaster. No other school forces others to adapt their strategies to this extent. Pets take a long time to perfect, if I had an infallible pet, I would not want to start from scratch again just because of balance's supernova. Balance requires a completely separate strategy to defeat, therefore making it overpowered.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
seethe42 on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
Limiting it to lvl 90+ makes no real sense. A lot of the top ranked players choose not to level up to 90 for various reasons. In the top 250 there's actually

So basically life being in last place is the only correct order in fact. Storm has the second lowest numbers in the top 250, when you don't skew it by arbitrarily picking levels.
Seethe42,

If you read what he stated, he talked about Mana Burn, Super Nova, etc, only the
upper players have these spells. So, that is exactly why I didn't include the
Level 50 wizards, etc as you did.
My posting stands as is, and is correcet as it.

Defender
Jul 21, 2010
I don't PvP but, why can't we agree that balance is neither overpowered OR underpowered. It's balanced!

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
stormninja542 on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
If you truly think 99% of max lvl balances pvp without loremaster then you are way off. I can promise you that without taking a survey. I am not asking for loremaster to be nerfed and unless you farm loremaster once a week it may take a year to get it lol. Balance is not easy to manipulate. Everything you're saying is just off and it's getting very annoying. PvP King, tell me WHY people don't complain about the myth school? About 95% of max lvl wizards will tell you max lvl myth isn't the king of 1v1. So, since you are a part of that 5% who feel myth is the king of 1v1, why don't you tell me why max lvl myth are the best school for pvp? You probably feel myth and fire are the king of 1v1 since they have the least problem with taking out shields while you have a problem with shields. Well one advantage doesn't make them the kings so get over that ridiculous theory. Balance these days are one of the most complained schools in pvp now and if you refer to my last post you will know why. Loremaster is a very good spell. You act as though the black mantle and weakness from it is pointless. If so how about we just remove the weakness and black mantle from it and everyone will stop complaining about it. You'll be happy because people will stop complaining and you don't care about it's side effects (unless you truly do). I see some balances make a simple solution as to putting fire elf tc in their tc deck. But you would probably complain that I don't want to change my deck to that style. Well guess what, everyone has to change their deck setup when vs balance or they will suffer when vs balance. You would know all the changes we have to make if you refer to my last post. Balance is no where by any means underpowered.
I never said 99% of max level Balances pvp without Loremaster, lol, sorry that you never take your time to read anything, but I said I bet 99% of Balance wizards can pvp without it. I never said I don't use Fire Elf TC either, in fact, I said I do use it, so I don't get why you're getting into that theory. Myth and Fire aren't the best because they can remove shields (Although that is a huge advantage in PvP and probably the most powerful one there is), but it's because of how their cards are. Myth has amazing hit spells, above average health, almost the same as Ice's resist, even more damage boost than Balance does, more accuracy than Balance does, can get the same power pip chance that Balance does ever since Hades gear, has more critical than Balance does, has the same block, has better blades, has a bubble (Time of Legend), has overtime hits, has amazing stun spells, and Balance has none of those. Does any Balance spell stun the enemy? Does any Balance spell hit twice with the same school to ignore shields? Does Balance have a damage over time? Does Balance have good blades? Does Balance have good blades? No. Myth is the stronger version of Balance, and you can't deny that. Same goes with Fire. They have better blades, around the same health now, a little less damage than Balance, still more resist with Hades gear, more critical, same block, roughly the same power pip chance since Hades, more accuracy, and the average spells do more than Balance's. They also have a bubble (Wyldfire), 35% blades, very amazing low pip attacks, their King Artorius stuns the opponent, they have damage over time spells, and Balance again, has none of those. The only advantage Balance has over these schools is that Tower Shield is the only way to stop a Balance. Fire and Myth wizards don't need lots of pips to deal large amounts of damage, and in fact, Fire can spam a whole lot better than Balance can ever dream of. Myth can also deal a lot more damage than Balance's even want to imagine they could.

Loremaster's side effects are great, the Weakness and the Black Mantle, but they're not the game winners every time. So what, you possibly fizzled a spell, but you gained more pips and can use a better one. Will Mana Burn stop you from casting that spell the next turn? No, you're casting it anyways. Will a -20% Weakness hurt you that much? No, not really, just like how Weakness itself isn't enough at times. Myth and Fire are well above Balance in PvP, Storm is also beyond all 3 of these schools. Balance is probably the 4th best school for PvP, going from Storm, Fire, Myth, Balance/Life (They cancel each other out), Ice, and Death. Balance isn't near overpowered but not totally underpowered either, it ranges in between the middle but still leaning more on the underpowered side of PvP, just like Life is.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Aaron SpellThief on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
Let me just make a simple point to you-Can any other school do thousands of damage for 2 pips simply because of a pet spell? The answer would be no. Players going against balance have to dramatically alter their entire strategy. Often many cards have to be added because high pip attacks and star spells are useless. More heals have to be added because of balance's high damage output. I don't do max level pvp much, but according to you, empowers have to be added for loremaster. No other school forces others to adapt their strategies to this extent. Pets take a long time to perfect, if I had an infallible pet, I would not want to start from scratch again just because of balance's supernova. Balance requires a completely separate strategy to defeat, therefore making it overpowered.
So you're complaining about a situational spell, Supernova, just because of a pet's may cast. Will a Balance wizard always have Supernova in hand? No. It also fizzles a lot, unless you Unstoppable enchant it making it do a whole lot less damage than with a Colossal, and then it would at most do a 930-ish damage, assuming the Balance wizard isn't some glass cannon or aiming for 100% damage and max critical, and Balance's critical rating in general can be blocked pretty easily. But, you're complaining about a situational spell. It won't always work, it won't always be used, it's only if the opponent has little to no knowledge in PvP or IF the pet has a may cast aura. So you're complaining about a spell that has less accuracy than Storm spells even, with Balance wizards who can get almost no accuracy from their gear, and is only used if an aura is present. That amuses me, why complain about a silly spell like that if there are far more dangerous spells like Wild Bolt or Insane Bolt? They have more accuracy than Supernova, and can deal insane amounts of damage (Approximately 2x more powerful than Supernova), and aren't situational at all, they can be used any time the wizard desires. End of that.

More heals don't need to be added only because of Balance, but Fire, Storm, Myth, and Death will put you at your heels in most matches and will definitely make you heal. If you think that the only time you need to heal is when you're going against a Balance wizard, that's a joke.

Empowers were always used by everybody, a quick way to get pips efficiently, 300 health for 3 pips, sounds like a good trade-off, right? So, I don't get what's so bad about using this before Loremaster existed and after Loremaster existed. The only difference? Oh nice! You deal 20% less damage on yourself!

Having a pet with Incredibly Infallible is a major advantage in PvP, even vs a Balance wizard. You're still piercing 15% extra damage, raising your accuracy up, and it doesn't waste a turn to cast. What's so bad about it? Oh no, the Balance wizard could use Supernova and have a huge chance of fizzling, big deal, your pet's going to cast it again anyways, making it totally worth the talent. Also, healing talents make Guiding Lights useless, so really almost every pet talent can backfire on you, not just may cast aura talents.

Yeah, Balance requires a completely separate strategy to defeat, just like Storm, you have to shield until you can one hit them, or Life, you have to use Doom and Gloom, Ice you have to add a few prisms or increase your blade amount or pin to a corner, vs Death you have to keep your health up the entire match to avoid Doom, etc. Every school requires using a completely separate strategy to defeat, so I don't see why adding another one for Balance is such a big issue.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
So, in other words, now that Balance is using a halfway decent spell that takes a long time to obtain, those that don't want to work around it want it nerfed or deleted? Yeah, right.

Sorry, but every school can be picked on, some even more than Balance, in my opinion. I have an idea, how about leaving the schools the way they are, because PvE is what this game is about, not PvP. The whole PvP system, no matter how you look at it, is messed up. Until the entire program is stripped down and completely rebuilt from the ground up, there are going to be a lot of things people get upset about.

What it boils down to is the basics when people complain about a school ...... they can't win as often as they like, they don't want to set up their deck, they don't want to figure out strategies, therefore, complaining about gear and spells is the way to go, hoping that KI will nerf a school down enough that they can win with no problem. Please take the blinders off and look around. PvP is not the center of attention, and the fact that many want schools to change, whether it be nerfed or otherwise, affects millions more players that don't play PvP. It affects how PvE players fight mobs and bosses .... did you ever think of that? Probably not, because you are in your own little world.

I'm a PvP'er, but I see how school changes affect other players that don't PvP. Leave the schools alone. I'm tired of seeing the boards filled with "this school is over-powered" , or "this school/spell needs to be nerfed". Get a grip and learn some strategies. It doesn't affect you in real life, so why should it affect you so much in a game?

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
PvP King on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
Using stun block against myth and doom and gloom against life isn't ANYWHERE NEAR the amount of changes we must make for balance. LOL, death using feint what a waste that would be and it's definitely not the problem you try to make it out to be. You act like you can load all the spells and strategies in those 64 deck slots. No offense but anyone with a half brain would know 64 slots in your deck is not enough to counter every school's spells (especially balance's) and keep your strategy. You are completely clueless in this situation simply because you refuse to listen. The reason why people seem to be lazy with defeating balance and not to the other schools is because we have to change EVERYTHING when vs balance. Don't you get it? Thats what I was trying to tell you and that's an obvious reason to why people seem "lazy" to beat balance. We aren't lazy. How would you like it if you had to change your deck setup, tc setup, and even pet just to counter one school? For ice we simply keep blades and auras in for harder hits. For fire we simply keep weaknesses in to counter dots. For myth we simply keep stun blocks in to counter stuns. For storm we simply keep shields in to counter big hits. For life we simply keep infection and doom in to counter heals. For death, well death I feel is underpowered and there's nothing major to worry about them. Then we get to balance. As I stated before (and hopefully you listen this time) we have to load up on low pip spells to counter mana burn, take out auras to counter supernova, use empower to counter the constant spamming of lore master's black mantle and weakness, discontinue the use of our may cast infallible pets, etc. There are far more important things to worry about countering balance than the other schools and it's ridiculous to make those changes. No one makes the changes for two reasons. They feel they shouldn't have to and if we don't even vs a balance in the arena the new setup can put you at a far worse disadvantage against other schools than what the other schools' spells make you change.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
stormninja542 on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
Using stun block against myth and doom and gloom against life isn't ANYWHERE NEAR the amount of changes we must make for balance. LOL, death using feint what a waste that would be and it's definitely not the problem you try to make it out to be. You act like you can load all the spells and strategies in those 64 deck slots. No offense but anyone with a half brain would know 64 slots in your deck is not enough to counter every school's spells (especially balance's) and keep your strategy. You are completely clueless in this situation simply because you refuse to listen. The reason why people seem to be lazy with defeating balance and not to the other schools is because we have to change EVERYTHING when vs balance. Don't you get it? Thats what I was trying to tell you and that's an obvious reason to why people seem "lazy" to beat balance. We aren't lazy. How would you like it if you had to change your deck setup, tc setup, and even pet just to counter one school? For ice we simply keep blades and auras in for harder hits. For fire we simply keep weaknesses in to counter dots. For myth we simply keep stun blocks in to counter stuns. For storm we simply keep shields in to counter big hits. For life we simply keep infection and doom in to counter heals. For death, well death I feel is underpowered and there's nothing major to worry about them. Then we get to balance. As I stated before (and hopefully you listen this time) we have to load up on low pip spells to counter mana burn, take out auras to counter supernova, use empower to counter the constant spamming of lore master's black mantle and weakness, discontinue the use of our may cast infallible pets, etc. There are far more important things to worry about countering balance than the other schools and it's ridiculous to make those changes. No one makes the changes for two reasons. They feel they shouldn't have to and if we don't even vs a balance in the arena the new setup can put you at a far worse disadvantage against other schools than what the other schools' spells make you change.
So you mean to tell me that you never pack small hits, Empower, or even Tower Shield vs a school that's not Balance? I'm sorry, but if you're one of those people that only packs one hit spells then change up your deck and add smaller spells as well, that strategy can't help you even against a Storm. But not using an attack under 4 pips, Empower, Infection or Weakness vs Balance? You're kidding right? Those are the most basic spells of PvP, and without those you're going to lose no matter how good you are.

Infection isn't only used against Life, it's used against Balance as well. Shields vs Storm are used vs Balance too (Tower Shield), Weakness is used not only on Fire but on Balance also, and you're telling me that you have to change your deck. No, you never do, those spells are used against Balance anyway, not just one school. I'm pretty sure everybody knows that by now, the next time you try to come up with a point, think about it first before making a statement that's way off from reality.

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
PvP King on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
So you're complaining about a situational spell, Supernova, just because of a pet's may cast. Will a Balance wizard always have Supernova in hand? No. It also fizzles a lot, unless you Unstoppable enchant it making it do a whole lot less damage than with a Colossal, and then it would at most do a 930-ish damage, assuming the Balance wizard isn't some glass cannon or aiming for 100% damage and max critical, and Balance's critical rating in general can be blocked pretty easily. But, you're complaining about a situational spell. It won't always work, it won't always be used, it's only if the opponent has little to no knowledge in PvP or IF the pet has a may cast aura. So you're complaining about a spell that has less accuracy than Storm spells even, with Balance wizards who can get almost no accuracy from their gear, and is only used if an aura is present. That amuses me, why complain about a silly spell like that if there are far more dangerous spells like Wild Bolt or Insane Bolt? They have more accuracy than Supernova, and can deal insane amounts of damage (Approximately 2x more powerful than Supernova), and aren't situational at all, they can be used any time the wizard desires. End of that.

More heals don't need to be added only because of Balance, but Fire, Storm, Myth, and Death will put you at your heels in most matches and will definitely make you heal. If you think that the only time you need to heal is when you're going against a Balance wizard, that's a joke.

Empowers were always used by everybody, a quick way to get pips efficiently, 300 health for 3 pips, sounds like a good trade-off, right? So, I don't get what's so bad about using this before Loremaster existed and after Loremaster existed. The only difference? Oh nice! You deal 20% less damage on yourself!

Having a pet with Incredibly Infallible is a major advantage in PvP, even vs a Balance wizard. You're still piercing 15% extra damage, raising your accuracy up, and it doesn't waste a turn to cast. What's so bad about it? Oh no, the Balance wizard could use Supernova and have a huge chance of fizzling, big deal, your pet's going to cast it again anyways, making it totally worth the talent. Also, healing talents make Guiding Lights useless, so really almost every pet talent can backfire on you, not just may cast aura talents.

Yeah, Balance requires a completely separate strategy to defeat, just like Storm, you have to shield until you can one hit them, or Life, you have to use Doom and Gloom, Ice you have to add a few prisms or increase your blade amount or pin to a corner, vs Death you have to keep your health up the entire match to avoid Doom, etc. Every school requires using a completely separate strategy to defeat, so I don't see why adding another one for Balance is such a big issue.
Once again you have pretty much failed to understand his point. The strategy needed to beat balance is far more complicated and requires pretty much it's own deck for beating. For the other schools you can have a deck for beating the rest of the schools but for balance it's not so simple.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
I never said 99% of max level Balances pvp without Loremaster, lol, sorry that you never take your time to read anything, but I said I bet 99% of Balance wizards can pvp without it. I never said I don't use Fire Elf TC either, in fact, I said I do use it, so I don't get why you're getting into that theory. Myth and Fire aren't the best because they can remove shields (Although that is a huge advantage in PvP and probably the most powerful one there is), but it's because of how their cards are. Myth has amazing hit spells, above average health, almost the same as Ice's resist, even more damage boost than Balance does, more accuracy than Balance does, can get the same power pip chance that Balance does ever since Hades gear, has more critical than Balance does, has the same block, has better blades, has a bubble (Time of Legend), has overtime hits, has amazing stun spells, and Balance has none of those. Does any Balance spell stun the enemy? Does any Balance spell hit twice with the same school to ignore shields? Does Balance have a damage over time? Does Balance have good blades? Does Balance have good blades? No. Myth is the stronger version of Balance, and you can't deny that. Same goes with Fire. They have better blades, around the same health now, a little less damage than Balance, still more resist with Hades gear, more critical, same block, roughly the same power pip chance since Hades, more accuracy, and the average spells do more than Balance's. They also have a bubble (Wyldfire), 35% blades, very amazing low pip attacks, their King Artorius stuns the opponent, they have damage over time spells, and Balance again, has none of those. The only advantage Balance has over these schools is that Tower Shield is the only way to stop a Balance. Fire and Myth wizards don't need lots of pips to deal large amounts of damage, and in fact, Fire can spam a whole lot better than Balance can ever dream of. Myth can also deal a lot more damage than Balance's even want to imagine they could.

Loremaster's side effects are great, the Weakness and the Black Mantle, but they're not the game winners every time. So what, you possibly fizzled a spell, but you gained more pips and can use a better one. Will Mana Burn stop you from casting that spell the next turn? No, you're casting it anyways. Will a -20% Weakness hurt you that much? No, not really, just like how Weakness itself isn't enough at times. Myth and Fire are well above Balance in PvP, Storm is also beyond all 3 of these schools. Balance is probably the 4th best school for PvP, going from Storm, Fire, Myth, Balance/Life (They cancel each other out), Ice, and Death. Balance isn't near overpowered but not totally underpowered either, it ranges in between the middle but still leaning more on the underpowered side of PvP, just like Life is.
Your statements are way off from reality. Neither myth nor fire even come close to approaching balances health, Balance has the second highest base health in the game behind ice. Balance gear also has more block than the fire and myth gear. So what if you fizzled a spell? A fizzled spell in the top level meta is a waste of a turn which often leads to a gg. Loremaster is overpowered, there is no arguing about it, just do the math. In addition to having a dpp above the average of balance spells it comes with 2 effects, one of which can buy you a turn and one of which reduces the efficiency of their attacks by 1/5. Mana burn is the ultimate combo breaker, it doesn't stop them from casting their spell but damages them and completely stalls out any follow up spell at all. Balance is the top tier school in this meta, ahead of myth fire and storm. The only time you can even make an argument that storm is top tier is in team battles and only due to the support of the team often a jaded life.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009

Supernova is an amazing spell for balance. Even enhanced with unstoppable(which makes it fizzle free with balance gear) it is still doing more damage than every colossal enchanted 2 pip spell short of storms. When enhanced with colossal it does even more damage and even if you fizzle, auras last for 4 rounds meaning you have a 4 round grace period to deal a humongous amount of damage and take their aura. In fact the presence of supernova often preempts other schools from using star magic entirely meaning that balance is the only one who can safely utilize the star school while denying every other school an entire side school. Wild bolt and Insane bolt aren't situational? Wild bolt 66% of the time does less damage than any 2 pip spell in the game and I don't know what's more situational than potentially killing yourself. If you are using empower against a loremaster congrats you a)damaged yourself even more b)removed a second tower if you had one stacked and c)added more fuel to mana burn. What do you mean youre still piercing 15% extra damage? If you are second against a balance and your pet casts this you won't get an opportunity to utilize it and if you are first congrats you have 1 turn to use your aura before being slammed by 1k-2k worth of damage for 2 pips. It is a big deal for your pet to cast a free hit me with a spell more powerful than a 5 pip judgement for 2 pip spell. Did you say healing pets made guiding light useless? When was guiding light ever a relevant spell in PvP?

That being said I DO NOT believe balance is overpowered, I believe it simply was given the best tools to deal with this meta. However claiming that it's underpowered is simply incorrect.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Eric Stormbringer on Apr 2, 2014 wrote:
Your statements are way off from reality. Neither myth nor fire even come close to approaching balances health, Balance has the second highest base health in the game behind ice. Balance gear also has more block than the fire and myth gear. So what if you fizzled a spell? A fizzled spell in the top level meta is a waste of a turn which often leads to a gg. Loremaster is overpowered, there is no arguing about it, just do the math. In addition to having a dpp above the average of balance spells it comes with 2 effects, one of which can buy you a turn and one of which reduces the efficiency of their attacks by 1/5. Mana burn is the ultimate combo breaker, it doesn't stop them from casting their spell but damages them and completely stalls out any follow up spell at all. Balance is the top tier school in this meta, ahead of myth fire and storm. The only time you can even make an argument that storm is top tier is in team battles and only due to the support of the team often a jaded life.
No, lol, Balance doesn't have the "second highest base health in the game behind ice." That statement is way off, did you not notice how Life jumped ahead of Balance in the health game? Fire and Myth have roughly 600 less health than Balance, which is honestly really close, and the Hades gear doesn't make the health gap any bigger. So Balance has normally 4600 health and Fire and Myth have 4000, what's so bad about that? Those two schools can blade up to hit harder if they wanted, use a bubble (Time of Legend or Wyldfire) and take a 25% damage advantage against the Balance wizard, and yeah you're right, if you fizzled a spell in top level PvP it's a waste of a turn and often leads to a gg. Thanks for the statement, because you know what? Supernova only has 60% accuracy, yep, so a Balance wizard is going to fizzle it pretty often. And in high level PvP, you cannot afford a fizzle. To point that out even more, Balance hardly has any accuracy from their gear either. 4% accuracy isn't all that great, it's still at 89%, while other schools can get around 98/95 (Storm and Fire) and Myth itself can get pretty close to 100% as well. And no, Fire and Myth's gear gives the exact same block rating as Balance's, so no, your statements are way off from reality.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Eric Stormbringer on Apr 2, 2014 wrote:
Supernova is an amazing spell for balance. Even enhanced with unstoppable(which makes it fizzle free with balance gear) it is still doing more damage than every colossal enchanted 2 pip spell short of storms. When enhanced with colossal it does even more damage and even if you fizzle, auras last for 4 rounds meaning you have a 4 round grace period to deal a humongous amount of damage and take their aura. In fact the presence of supernova often preempts other schools from using star magic entirely meaning that balance is the only one who can safely utilize the star school while denying every other school an entire side school. Wild bolt and Insane bolt aren't situational? Wild bolt 66% of the time does less damage than any 2 pip spell in the game and I don't know what's more situational than potentially killing yourself. If you are using empower against a loremaster congrats you a)damaged yourself even more b)removed a second tower if you had one stacked and c)added more fuel to mana burn. What do you mean youre still piercing 15% extra damage? If you are second against a balance and your pet casts this you won't get an opportunity to utilize it and if you are first congrats you have 1 turn to use your aura before being slammed by 1k-2k worth of damage for 2 pips. It is a big deal for your pet to cast a free hit me with a spell more powerful than a 5 pip judgement for 2 pip spell. Did you say healing pets made guiding light useless? When was guiding light ever a relevant spell in PvP?

That being said I DO NOT believe balance is overpowered, I believe it simply was given the best tools to deal with this meta. However claiming that it's underpowered is simply incorrect.
Like I said, it's not overpowered or severely underpowered, but it touches the underpowered side more than overpowered. Like you said before, a fizzle in top level PvP usually leads to a gg, and that means that Supernova can be nearly useless if you don't keep Unstoppable versions in your sideboard. If you do, congratulations, you wasted sideboard space, nobody uses star spells against Balance wizards. And if your pet casts it, it's unlimited, Supernova isn't. In most PvP guides you look at for Balance, the wizard keeps 2 Supernovas. Why? Because Shrike came out, why would most schools use star spells anyways? Most people with may cast aura pets know how to make the talent work better for them more than the Balance wizard. I see more and more wizards casting Black Mantle treasure cards, making the Balance be almost sure to fizzle (Unless you seriously want to argue about 5%). Again, Supernova isn't overpowered, and nobody ever said you needed Star spells to win in the first place. If you haven't noticed, Balance wizards don't use Infallible much themselves. Why? Because Balance is also trying to play a higher pace game, just like other schools, and many wizards find Infallible being a waste of a turn and would rather shield or use Infection. So really, Supernova is still fair, and it still has its downsides to it.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
stormninja542 on Apr 1, 2014 wrote:
Once again you have pretty much failed to understand his point. The strategy needed to beat balance is far more complicated and requires pretty much it's own deck for beating. For the other schools you can have a deck for beating the rest of the schools but for balance it's not so simple.
Unless you're a starter at PvP, I don't see why you have to make huge deck changes to defeat a Balance wizard. So you're saying that using Tower Shield only works on Balance and not other schools? That Weakenss only works on Balance? That Infection only works on Balance? How about Black Mantle treasure cards, do those only work on Balance too? Does Empower only work on Balance? Healing? Attacking? Any spell in the game? No, lol, that's honestly the laziest statement you could ever say in PvP.

"more complicated and requires pretty much its own deck for beating." If you really think that, okay go right ahead, but what I'm telling you, because I know this for a fact, is that the spells you normally need to use against a Balance wizard are the spells you also need to beat every other school in the arena. I mean, you're kidding me. You think that you can go win without Tower Shield? Going off into a PvP without Infection is probably even worse, especially against Life wizards, and I could keep listing spells that could be used for both Balance and other schools.

What you really fail at understanding, is that Balance doesn't have its own category of spells to defeat than the other schools. It's the exact same. Tower, Infection, Weakness, Feint, Doom and Gloom, other shields possibly, small attacks, they're all required for winning in PvP. That's why they call them "basic spells" (Tower, Infection, Weakness). So no, you don't need a separate strategy to defeat a Balance wizard, you just have to play normally, like you do with any other school (mostly the same way you fight a Life wizard).

Explorer
Jun 24, 2011
I am speaking as a max level Balance wizard, so I know what I'm talking about.
First off, mana burn. Almost completely useless. Let me give you a case scenario. You are facing Ghost Dog, last boss in kh p1. He has full pips and is about to attack. In your haste, you use a mana burn. You think it will stop his attack. WRONG! If mana burn is used at the same time the attack is used, it all goes to waste and the attack proceeds as planned. For 5 pips, i's say that's a pretty big waste.
Next up, supernova. Big problem. Accuracy. I have fifteen accuracy, witch is enough to make most balance spells fizzle- safe. Not mana burn. Even with my 'treasure trove' of accuracy, mana burn fizzles on a regular basis. Sure, it's 2 pips and does decent damage. But most of the time it will fizzle.
Loremaster. A spell I don't even have. honestly, it doesn't do that much damage, and you can just wand through the other drawbacks. Not every balance wizard has it. Seriously, half the sorcerers and sorceresses I know don't even make and effort to farm for it. It is very rare and not craftable.
From what you're telling us, stormninja and others opposing the balance school, I don't even think you've played through the school of balance. Any wizard with common sense would try something before bombarding it with reasons it should be nerfed.
Wolf RavenBreath 95 balance (balance sign still not working for me lol)

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
PvP King on Apr 2, 2014 wrote:
Unless you're a starter at PvP, I don't see why you have to make huge deck changes to defeat a Balance wizard. So you're saying that using Tower Shield only works on Balance and not other schools? That Weakenss only works on Balance? That Infection only works on Balance? How about Black Mantle treasure cards, do those only work on Balance too? Does Empower only work on Balance? Healing? Attacking? Any spell in the game? No, lol, that's honestly the laziest statement you could ever say in PvP.

"more complicated and requires pretty much its own deck for beating." If you really think that, okay go right ahead, but what I'm telling you, because I know this for a fact, is that the spells you normally need to use against a Balance wizard are the spells you also need to beat every other school in the arena. I mean, you're kidding me. You think that you can go win without Tower Shield? Going off into a PvP without Infection is probably even worse, especially against Life wizards, and I could keep listing spells that could be used for both Balance and other schools.

What you really fail at understanding, is that Balance doesn't have its own category of spells to defeat than the other schools. It's the exact same. Tower, Infection, Weakness, Feint, Doom and Gloom, other shields possibly, small attacks, they're all required for winning in PvP. That's why they call them "basic spells" (Tower, Infection, Weakness). So no, you don't need a separate strategy to defeat a Balance wizard, you just have to play normally, like you do with any other school (mostly the same way you fight a Life wizard).
Well you seem like a starter to understand how decks work. "You just have to play normally, like you do with any other school." I seriously thinking you are hopeless in understanding the problem with balance. Also you are wasting your time telling me about infection and black mantle and tower shield. Why do I care? I'm not talking about how tower shield, black mantle, and infection are used on all schools. I am talking about the changes FOR BALANCE ONLY. What does it take to get you to understand that we must use low pip spells, take out auras, load up on empower, and replace our "may cast infallible" pets for only vs balance? You obviously don't vs max lvl balances often otherwise you would get my point without adding all this other stuff about black mantle and whatever.

Survivor
May 10, 2013
WAY too overpowered in 1 vs 1 pvp. I have never beaten anybody who uses balance spells

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
No, lol, Balance doesn't have the "second highest base health in the game behind ice." That statement is way off, did you not notice how Life jumped ahead of Balance in the health game? Fire and Myth have roughly 600 less health than Balance, which is honestly really close, and the Hades gear doesn't make the health gap any bigger. So Balance has normally 4600 health and Fire and Myth have 4000, what's so bad about that? Those two schools can blade up to hit harder if they wanted, use a bubble (Time of Legend or Wyldfire) and take a 25% damage advantage against the Balance wizard, and yeah you're right, if you fizzled a spell in top level PvP it's a waste of a turn and often leads to a gg. Thanks for the statement, because you know what? Supernova only has 60% accuracy, yep, so a Balance wizard is going to fizzle it pretty often. And in high level PvP, you cannot afford a fizzle. To point that out even more, Balance hardly has any accuracy from their gear either. 4% accuracy isn't all that great, it's still at 89%, while other schools can get around 98/95 (Storm and Fire) and Myth itself can get pretty close to 100% as well. And no, Fire and Myth's gear gives the exact same block rating as Balance's, so no, your statements are way off from reality.
Actually no my statement is completely correct, balance does have the second highest base health in game. Don't believe me? Go create a balance and life wizard right now and look at their base health. The difference in base health is simply a correction to your statement that those three schools have the same health.(that does make a difference in battle as health is now our major damage buffer) As for the difference in critical and block rather than rehashing the same I will let you go look at the stats yourself (Hades Guide). As stated with supernova enhance with an extraordinary and congrats almost no fizzle. As I have also previously stated even enhanced with extraordinary it is still doing more damage than every other collossaled 2 pip spell in the game short of storms. Storm and Fire are never going to get above 90% accuracy using their hades sets while both balance and myth can do so. Loremaster is a -35% accuracy so add that to base storm and fire and that's 35% accuracy and 40% accuracy respectively. Compare that to a base 60% fizzle which apparently fizzles pretty often and who is coming out on top? As for the block once again I'll site the gear guide.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Like I said, it's not overpowered or severely underpowered, but it touches the underpowered side more than overpowered. Like you said before, a fizzle in top level PvP usually leads to a gg, and that means that Supernova can be nearly useless if you don't keep Unstoppable versions in your sideboard. If you do, congratulations, you wasted sideboard space, nobody uses star spells against Balance wizards. And if your pet casts it, it's unlimited, Supernova isn't. In most PvP guides you look at for Balance, the wizard keeps 2 Supernovas. Why? Because Shrike came out, why would most schools use star spells anyways? Most people with may cast aura pets know how to make the talent work better for them more than the Balance wizard. I see more and more wizards casting Black Mantle treasure cards, making the Balance be almost sure to fizzle (Unless you seriously want to argue about 5%). Again, Supernova isn't overpowered, and nobody ever said you needed Star spells to win in the first place. If you haven't noticed, Balance wizards don't use Infallible much themselves. Why? Because Balance is also trying to play a higher pace game, just like other schools, and many wizards find Infallible being a waste of a turn and would rather shield or use Infection. So really, Supernova is still fair, and it still has its downsides to it.
That is where we differ in opinion. Balance is not even close to being underpowered at all. It is the top tier school in 1v1 PvP in this current meta. Exactly a fizzle at top level PvP is almost always a gg and thus you do keep unstoppable versions of supernova. How does the potential waste of side deck space even compare to no access to an entire secondary school? Against balance any star spell in both your main deck and side deck cannot be used. If your pet casts it is unlimited...an unlimited way for you to take a humongous amount of damage for 2 pips. Why would people use star spells? Star spells are the premier way to modify your stats. Need more block and stun protection? Conviction, more pierce and accuracy infallible, more critical vengeance. Unlike shadow magic star magic has no drawbacks lasts a turn longer and does not lock you into a particular playstyle. With supernova balance ensures it can modify its own stats while denying the opponent the same opportunity. There is no way to make a may cast aura work better for you since it is completely random and the balance wizard has 4 turns of prerogative to cancel it out. If a balance chooses not to use infallible that's there choice and it comes with no drawbacks. Another school has no choice but to not use infallible and if they do they a lose it and b)take massive dpp.

Defender
Oct 10, 2010
You guys are all wrong that consider Balance at the top of the school list in PvP.

Right now, Storm is at the top of the Leaders boards, and is way ahead of any
other school in the game, at level 90+.
Go look at the top 250 players, and count the number of 90+ storm in that group.
Someone just posted the list, and I have confirmed it, Storm is the leader.

No other school even comes close to storm, in PvP.
The next two schools are Fire and Ice, in the rankings.... need I say more.

Balance is doing well, it could be considered a top tier school now.
It does have limitations, far more than any other school, except maybe Life.
1. It's blades can be useless with just a spam of efreet, a -40, Bad juju, etc.
2. It's traps can be taken by any spell.
3. It has no over time or double hit spells.
4. It has no stun spells, or stun spells mixed into their attacks.
5. Loremaster only puts a -20, lucky for Balance it's stackable.
6. Their health has been dropped, and is now behind Life's in most cases.
7. They lost accuracy in the Hades gear, and now have more fizzle.
8. With Mana Burn the player can still use their pips (if second). If first they can use
their pips, and the balance just just lost 5 pips with no damage done.
9. Any player that sees a Balance is not going to put up a local Aura, so
Super nova becomes wasted space in their deck.
10. The have a high cost Aura, at 4 pips it cannot be used and would help
the opponent.
11. The list can go on and on......

Does Balance do well, yes, but by overcomming their limitation, which no
other school has too. People like Nick and Goreman have helped the
Balance Community improve, with constant help and Manuals.

No other school should be complaining on a Balance, expecially schools
like Storm, Ice or Fire.... bottom line.

I have all wizard, except Life, so I don't have much to say on the Life Wizards
except they are darn hard to defeat.