Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

so done with the cheating bosses.

AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
This is my third time through K1. My balance and death did fine, but storm is definitely struggling... we've been so left behind, in every sense, and I'm just sick to death of being bombarded with these near-impossible boss battles that, more often than not, I have to solo because there's no one online, even in the so-called crowded realms.

Anyway, I'm almost level 95 again and I'm in Tymen Nightflame's lair. Between his chain-stunning and cheat mana burn, I have no health and can't cast; any time I have the pips to cast something, I get mama burned. If I heal, I get stunned. It wastes my stun blocks that I need for when he stuns me with his school spell anyway. My deck is full of stun blocks, and I still can't keep up. And, without a mastery amulet, Unbalance is a waste of pips.

Come on, KI. I get that we're level 95 and stuff, but... this is above and beyond ridiculous. Cheating bosses should not be, and should never have been, required for the main storyline. I don't have time for this; it's a waste, in every sense of the word.

I am not a professional/hardcore type. I don't pvp; I am just an average player, looking for something fun to do after a long and crappy day at the office, not another full-time job. I work in an industry that tests my patience constantly, and that is what this game is becoming: work. A job that tests my patience and, as far as I'm concerned, that patience is already stretched to its limit and then some.

I don't have high hopes for K2. If anything, it's going to continue pushing the casual/fun set out; perhaps it's my fault, for assuming that a game is intended to be fun. The hardcore gamers can create their own challenges, KI; this ridiculousness cannot be made easier for those who are becoming increasingly frustrated with the staggering jump in difficulty. The second half of K1 is DS-Celestia, all over again.

I realize that no one cares about one player's opinion, and that mine is not the popular one. But, if the game continues down this path, I know I won't be the only one rage-quitting out of frustration.

Both of my subs are up in October. I sincerely doubt that I'll be renewing them.

-von
annoyed, stressed-out, extremely frustrated promethean x3

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
This is one tough battle to solo, but it is possible. I dusted off those long unused minion spells for this battle. They don't have to last long really. They offer just enough chance for you to cast without the mana burn hitting you. It allows you to blade/trap and get a decent hit in.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Dr Von on Mar 6, 2014 wrote:
This is my third time through K1. My balance and death did fine, but storm is definitely struggling... we've been so left behind, in every sense, and I'm just sick to death of being bombarded with these near-impossible boss battles that, more often than not, I have to solo because there's no one online, even in the so-called crowded realms.

Anyway, I'm almost level 95 again and I'm in Tymen Nightflame's lair. Between his chain-stunning and cheat mana burn, I have no health and can't cast; any time I have the pips to cast something, I get mama burned. If I heal, I get stunned. It wastes my stun blocks that I need for when he stuns me with his school spell anyway. My deck is full of stun blocks, and I still can't keep up. And, without a mastery amulet, Unbalance is a waste of pips.

Come on, KI. I get that we're level 95 and stuff, but... this is above and beyond ridiculous. Cheating bosses should not be, and should never have been, required for the main storyline. I don't have time for this; it's a waste, in every sense of the word.

I am not a professional/hardcore type. I don't pvp; I am just an average player, looking for something fun to do after a long and crappy day at the office, not another full-time job. I work in an industry that tests my patience constantly, and that is what this game is becoming: work. A job that tests my patience and, as far as I'm concerned, that patience is already stretched to its limit and then some.

I don't have high hopes for K2. If anything, it's going to continue pushing the casual/fun set out; perhaps it's my fault, for assuming that a game is intended to be fun. The hardcore gamers can create their own challenges, KI; this ridiculousness cannot be made easier for those who are becoming increasingly frustrated with the staggering jump in difficulty. The second half of K1 is DS-Celestia, all over again.

I realize that no one cares about one player's opinion, and that mine is not the popular one. But, if the game continues down this path, I know I won't be the only one rage-quitting out of frustration.

Both of my subs are up in October. I sincerely doubt that I'll be renewing them.

-von
Make that 2 players. I am with you on this one.

Personally my sub is up this month and I am really wondering why I would pay for a game I really no longer enjoy and does seem to aggravate me more then anything now? It's no longer the game I joined back when it was a magical adventure to quest, with all the strategy involved there's no fun it's all challenge. WOWish.

I am seriously considering trying to savage something pleasant from this game by only playing my wizard as far as I like in the game. Who says you have to subject your self or your wizard to the beaten the upper worlds offer? It would mean going to the end of Zafaria or at the very most Avalon. The further I get into Azteca with my wizards the more I wonder what I am doing there, I am not that type of player, it's not fun it's stressful. I haven't quested in weeks - to many of my wizards are in AZ. I am not doing Xe bla bla again.

In 12 days I have to decide if I will stay or just give it up and go. The recent pet down grade I think helped me decide too, first spritely then fairy friend where just taken away from me. I finally got Fairy Friend into my pets and they never cast it. Gear is way to hard to figure out and/or get, held hostage by difficult dungeons you must repeat till - pigs fly - cows come home or "something" freezes over.

The ones who have it all can have all of the upper worlds since their game play experience is so much better then me crawling my way though battle after battle dreading them all.

Mary StarGem
Formerly "Savior of the Spiral"

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Make that 3 players.

I too, am becoming increasingly frustrated with the game. Whenever I'm logged into the game, I see almost no one on my friend list. This includes people that have become dear friends and we'd be hanging out together almost all day long. It's a ghost town on my friend list.

Between increasing nonsense spells to clutter up our deck, cheating bosses in the main storyline, smaller & smaller worlds to run around in, convoluted writing, non-exciting graphics, catering to the hardcore player, openly mentioned nerfs as well as behind-the-scenes nerfs, difficulty in finding decent gear at high levels, having to farm bosses for weeks or even months just to get one item, PvP whiners getting their way, etc ...... it's become a job, not a magical adventure.

I'm tired of fighting the system. I just want to have fun playing my wizards without having to worry about all the frustrating aspects that have cluttered up the game.

My membership comes up in October, and I'm not sure I'll renew. I've stopped spending as much money on crowns .... and I used to buy a LOT of crowns.

I'm glad I still have Pirate101 to hang out in. So far, it hasn't been messed with, and I sincerely hope that it stays along the course it is now. It's got so much more variety in gameplay than Wizard101, that it's refreshing.

Hey Von, I'll try to look for you in the Spiral. If you need help I can bring my Ice, who is in Tyrian Gorge (almost to Fort Rachias). Perhaps between the both of us, it won't be so boring (hahahaha).

BTW: I think we need to do a "nekked" Malistaire run just for fun! (For those who don't know what that is, we take our L50 - L95 wizards, strip all their gear plus no amulets, no wands (okay to have one if it doesn't have stats), no pets, no athames ...... and you are only allowed spells up to 4 pips max. Now, THAT is fun!!!!!

Defender
May 11, 2012
Dr Von on Mar 6, 2014 wrote:

-von
I so agree with you Von, (and you too Mary). The cheating bosses (among other things) are just too much for something that Wizard101 was originally meant to be.

I am an adult, and I have been stuck in Avalon for nearly a year. I originally started this game a couple of years ago because I was looking for something fun to DE-stress with and was happily zipping along. Wizard 101 gave me that, not to mention it had magic and wizards like my favorite book series. But now, the magic is gone. It's just not fun. I use to actually have dreams about this game (*blushes), but now I find myself shutting down the computer, and going to play app-based games on my smartphone instead. Family-friendly game?-I don't think so-NOT anymore anyways.

NONE of my friends or family play anymore-nobody on my friends list has been on in nearly a year. They all quit, because it got to too hard. It wasn't entertaining. It really became a job. Dungeons that are hours long are ridiculous. If KI wanted to have a more hard-core game, than they should have MADE one instead of messing around with something most people were already enjoying as it was. And they tell us more chapters are to come? If it is this hard already, I don't even want to think what they are going to have us facing in the future (but, I probably won't be here to see it). I sort of feel cheated actually. It sort of is like false advertising. They tell you what the game is supposed to be like, they give you a game that, at the beginning, is just like is promised, and then BAM, they change it. This was NEVER supposed to be a hard-core game, but that is EXACTLY what it has turned into, and I for one, don't want it. If I had wanted a hard-core game, I never would have come to Wizard 101 to begin with. I want KI to keep their promise of what the game is SUPPOSED to be. I saw a post awhile back that was titled "The magic is gone", and that is exactly how it is. The MAGIC is gone. The fun is gone. And I think that soon, I will be gone in search of a game that actually is family-friendly, and enjoyable. Life is hard enough without getting stressed or angry over a GAME. I sometimes wonder if KI is actually listening to us.

Autumn FairyDreamer
-feeling the same way as Von except as a level 79

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
oh gosh, i'm surprised that so many of you feel the same way! i posted this expecting to be attacked by the hardcore set because it's 'too easy'; it's nice to know i'm not alone.

i haven't been playing much recently; i took a month break because i'm bored/stressed/sick of being pushed out of the game by ki's catering to the hardcore/professional gamers. that is not who this game was made for~ it was made for fun, for casual players of all ages, looking to de-stress from work and/or school. i mean, i don't mind a challenge, but it needs to be tempered with FUN; right now, mary is exactly right, in that the 'challenge' outweighs the fun aspect.

i eventually got through that horrid quest~ i went through 3 minions and henchmen, just so the boss would have someone to mana-burn besides me.

i don't mind doing the optional cheat dungeons (ie: tartarus/waterworks) with a group to try and get the gear. yeah, the drop rate is awful, but i look at it as i'm spending those 2-3 hours in good company~ we're all miserable, therefore it's not as bad, lol.

all work and no fun make von a bored and unhappy wizard.

hey brynner~ i will be on this weekend, probably on the noobs; your noobs are welcome to join mine! the rest of you guys are welcome to join us, too, so feel free!

-v.

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
Sorry to hear people thinking about leaving, but I'm glad the game is going to get a little harder. I'm sorry but if you think the mobs in Khrysalis are hard, then you need to rethink A LOT of what you are doing. Sorry, but it's a little funny to me lol. I'm not trying to be mean but I've heard SEVERAL people say they went from level 90-95 in one or two nights, and there is NO reason the game should be that easy. Not every world can be Wizard City and Kroktopia.

I have wonder what kind of gear people are using. Do you have resist? The glass cannon approach is really not your best option when questing alone, especially vs a cheating boss.

I'm kinda surprised V girl is struggling with her .

Have you tried Kraken, lightning bats, bolts, sharks, etc.? I've seen some storm do well over 2000 damage with Kraken without a blade and without critical. My isn't Promethean, but the attack boost that school gets is ridiculous. Almost double what gets. And I'm going to wrap this up because I'm about to go off topic...

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
ViciousVenomousVix... on Mar 8, 2014 wrote:
Sorry to hear people thinking about leaving, but I'm glad the game is going to get a little harder. I'm sorry but if you think the mobs in Khrysalis are hard, then you need to rethink A LOT of what you are doing. Sorry, but it's a little funny to me lol. I'm not trying to be mean but I've heard SEVERAL people say they went from level 90-95 in one or two nights, and there is NO reason the game should be that easy. Not every world can be Wizard City and Kroktopia.

I have wonder what kind of gear people are using. Do you have resist? The glass cannon approach is really not your best option when questing alone, especially vs a cheating boss.

I'm kinda surprised V girl is struggling with her .

Have you tried Kraken, lightning bats, bolts, sharks, etc.? I've seen some storm do well over 2000 damage with Kraken without a blade and without critical. My isn't Promethean, but the attack boost that school gets is ridiculous. Almost double what gets. And I'm going to wrap this up because I'm about to go off topic...
you obviously didn't read the full post.

i have 3 prometheans: i have been through k1 more than once and am well aware of how to play the game. nowhere in my post did i mention struggling with mobs: my problem is that cheat dungeons should be an option for the hardcore set, instead of in the main quest line (because they are not enjoyable for casual players).

my stats are not the issue. i have some of the best gear available and a good (but not perfect) pet, with super-high damage and plenty of resist/block. but there are 4 enemies and only one of me... and one little wizard with 3200 health is not going to last very long by herself, no matter how much resist she has.

i don't mind a challenge. but the 'challenge' should not outweigh the fun (because this is a game, duh).

-v.
promethean x3

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
KR is the easiest world for our level since... maybe ever. The cheat bosses aren't bad. Whiteflame, eclipse tower, hisser, even second ghost dog are not as hard as waterworks, helephant, warehouse, etc considering our level now.

It seems like the people who complain about the game being too hard are trying to solo everything. I hope the new team-up feature will help with that. It's a muti-player game based on teamwork. Team up and those fights will go a lot better. Expecting the game to get nerfed to the point you can solo it all easily isn't realistic, and would be very dull for the rest of us.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Dr Von on Mar 9, 2014 wrote:
you obviously didn't read the full post.

i have 3 prometheans: i have been through k1 more than once and am well aware of how to play the game. nowhere in my post did i mention struggling with mobs: my problem is that cheat dungeons should be an option for the hardcore set, instead of in the main quest line (because they are not enjoyable for casual players).

my stats are not the issue. i have some of the best gear available and a good (but not perfect) pet, with super-high damage and plenty of resist/block. but there are 4 enemies and only one of me... and one little wizard with 3200 health is not going to last very long by herself, no matter how much resist she has.

i don't mind a challenge. but the 'challenge' should not outweigh the fun (because this is a game, duh).

-v.
promethean x3

The cheat bosses are few and far between in the storyline. There's only a couple in each world. None are impossible, yes a couple are difficult to do solo. This IS a MMO, certain tasks require teamwork if you are a casual player. Khrysalis has only 2 bosses that pose any real problem. The Ice boss with the mana burn and Ghost Dog, and both are possible solo and not really even that difficult on a maxed level storm. They just require you to change your strategy a little and do a little thinking.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Dakota Death on Mar 9, 2014 wrote:
KR is the easiest world for our level since... maybe ever. The cheat bosses aren't bad. Whiteflame, eclipse tower, hisser, even second ghost dog are not as hard as waterworks, helephant, warehouse, etc considering our level now.

It seems like the people who complain about the game being too hard are trying to solo everything. I hope the new team-up feature will help with that. It's a muti-player game based on teamwork. Team up and those fights will go a lot better. Expecting the game to get nerfed to the point you can solo it all easily isn't realistic, and would be very dull for the rest of us.
oh believe me, i would find a group if that were an option.
i solo because, more often than not, i don't have a choice.

i get that it's an mmo. and that's great, if you are in a popular time zone, play at peak times when there are lots of people online, or have 120 friends at your beck and call 24/7.

people like me who work odd hours and are not able to play during peak times are much more limited. the servers are mostly empty: the second arc worlds are ghost towns, and i often have trouble finding anyone to quest with, even in so-called crowded realms. it's either solo the instance or play only on weekends, when i can afford to waste what little playing time i have trying to find a group.

if i want a questing buddy, i have to stay up extremely late (when i play before work, no one is awake yet, and they're not back from work or school when i get home) or wait for the weekend, when i have all day to hang around in common areas to try and find a group for those long, cheaty instances. i will be so happy when that team-finder goes live, because it might mean that i can actually find a group without wasting hours upon hours hanging around in common areas and trying to find someone with the same quest as me.

i don't know why some of you have it in your heads that i want the game nerfed. i don't~ the difficulty level is fine; stuff like tartarus, briskbreeze, waterworks, etc. is fine, because they are optional: those who choose to take the quests and complete them know exactly what they're in for. time-consuming boss cheats have no place in the main quest line of a game that is geared toward casual players.

if you are a hardcore player, you can make your own "challenge". so you can run tartarus or xibalba without gear all you want, but that doesn't mean that those requirements should be forced on all of us.

-v.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Dr Von on Mar 11, 2014 wrote:
oh believe me, i would find a group if that were an option.
i solo because, more often than not, i don't have a choice.

i get that it's an mmo. and that's great, if you are in a popular time zone, play at peak times when there are lots of people online, or have 120 friends at your beck and call 24/7.

people like me who work odd hours and are not able to play during peak times are much more limited. the servers are mostly empty: the second arc worlds are ghost towns, and i often have trouble finding anyone to quest with, even in so-called crowded realms. it's either solo the instance or play only on weekends, when i can afford to waste what little playing time i have trying to find a group.

if i want a questing buddy, i have to stay up extremely late (when i play before work, no one is awake yet, and they're not back from work or school when i get home) or wait for the weekend, when i have all day to hang around in common areas to try and find a group for those long, cheaty instances. i will be so happy when that team-finder goes live, because it might mean that i can actually find a group without wasting hours upon hours hanging around in common areas and trying to find someone with the same quest as me.

i don't know why some of you have it in your heads that i want the game nerfed. i don't~ the difficulty level is fine; stuff like tartarus, briskbreeze, waterworks, etc. is fine, because they are optional: those who choose to take the quests and complete them know exactly what they're in for. time-consuming boss cheats have no place in the main quest line of a game that is geared toward casual players.

if you are a hardcore player, you can make your own "challenge". so you can run tartarus or xibalba without gear all you want, but that doesn't mean that those requirements should be forced on all of us.

-v.
I completely agree with you on this one Von.

The main quest line and all instances on it should be playable by the casual solo player, the "Average" player.

There are instances and side-lines that can be harder, and should be harder. They should also have warnings at the entrance that this instance is designed to be a multiplayer experience, like that one dungeon in Marleybone stated (the optional one associated with the CL storyline). Why that dungeon is the only one to have that warning I don't know. When I have the time and can get friends to play as a group, these harder instances can be a lot of fun.

But as a working parent, I have both job and home responsibilities and I don't always have the time to do a long drawn-out boss battle or dungeon, and I don't always have the option to play with friends, because I sometimes have to play at odd hours too. And sometimes, frankly, I just feel like playing solo -- and, even though this is an MMO, that does not mean that solo play is somehow "wrong" or that we should be forced to group play to complete the main quest lines. MMO means others are playing and group play and social interaction is an option -- it does not mean that we all have to play in groups all the time.

The entire Spiral does not have to be "one size fits all." There can be easier areas, and harder areas. But the main quest lines should be manageable by everyone, and that means solo players as well.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
FinnAgainWindrider on Mar 11, 2014 wrote:
I completely agree with you on this one Von.

The main quest line and all instances on it should be playable by the casual solo player, the "Average" player.

There are instances and side-lines that can be harder, and should be harder. They should also have warnings at the entrance that this instance is designed to be a multiplayer experience, like that one dungeon in Marleybone stated (the optional one associated with the CL storyline). Why that dungeon is the only one to have that warning I don't know. When I have the time and can get friends to play as a group, these harder instances can be a lot of fun.

But as a working parent, I have both job and home responsibilities and I don't always have the time to do a long drawn-out boss battle or dungeon, and I don't always have the option to play with friends, because I sometimes have to play at odd hours too. And sometimes, frankly, I just feel like playing solo -- and, even though this is an MMO, that does not mean that solo play is somehow "wrong" or that we should be forced to group play to complete the main quest lines. MMO means others are playing and group play and social interaction is an option -- it does not mean that we all have to play in groups all the time.

The entire Spiral does not have to be "one size fits all." There can be easier areas, and harder areas. But the main quest lines should be manageable by everyone, and that means solo players as well.
hear, hear!

finn, you are spot-on. i agree that the optional cheat dungeons can actually be sorta fun when i am able to do them with friends, but you're exactly right: everyone should be able to complete the storyline quests. leave the long and cheaty battles for those who wish to do them.

i am not a parent, but i am a working young adult and soon-to-be full-time student with social and family commitments. not everyone has the luxury of being able to play with friends, and i agree that group play should be encouraged but optional (not something that's forced on us). those who do not wish to or simply cannot find a group should not be punished for it.

as always, i appreciate your perspective!

-v.

Defender
Sep 29, 2008
I play pretty hardcore in this game and even i say they have to calm down with the cheating bosses for main quests its getting rediculous quite frankly and it makes me feel like a bad player cause they cheat and we cant and no matter what i do sometimes it still makes me loose.

Historian
May 15, 2009
I can agree to this as well. ever since I got to Zafaria and beyond I have been having less fun than usual with WIzard101. the story is excellent and the locations look haunting or beautiful sometime just plain amazing, but it is sorely outweighed by how much I have had to struggle with this.

in the time between Zafaria and Khrysalis part 1 I have bought... I believe about 7500 crowns. and do you know how much I have left? 14.

of 7500 crowns or so more than 7486 of that was spent on crown minions that int he end did not a lot of good.
it was the worst in Azteca every other boss that I had to fight on my own all the spots on my side of the field were filled with crown minions which were not very helpful most of the time.

to me 7500 crowns is a lot of money. I don't have a steady job right now so what little crown I can put into that account I expect to be able to make last for a while. and for a time everything pre Zafaria I only needed one minion to help me. in Azteca i needed at most 6 crown minions just to make it through a boss.

in Khrysalis the only reason i have even gotten to fort rachias at this point is because i managed to get lucky and find two friends who helped me work my way through the last wood, the moon cliffs and the tyrian gorge. even then it was very difficult for us because of all these blasted cheating bosses. and of all of them Nightflame was one of the worst. i continually was pushed to the brink of death because he kept blasting me with mana burn.

it is getting to the point i am almost afraid to see what happens in part 2 it will be like every other boss has some type of cheat and i am not looking forward to that (currently haven't played test realm extensively)

i used to find this game fun, but if it continues in the direction that khrysalis is heading, then i will seriously reconsider buying another month of membership.

Defender
Jul 26, 2009
So what is your definition on a casual gamer?

These cheating bosses, are few and far between in the story line, are the only things that make questing in the worlds interesting.

These bosses are healthy for the game because they add variety on the main quest line. These creatures are meant to be a threat, otherwise whats the big deal? They are always a MAJOR milestone at the end of a very long series of quests, and show how far you;ve gotten.

If the cheats were removed, People would shrug these milestones off, "Oh, Just another easy OHKO Boss fight. I'm bored of this, I've been doing it for the past 48 boss fights!" The average player would get bored and leave.

You've been able to solo these bosses, it looks like they're just an annoyance to be ridden of by the way the text is, When really these bosses add a Healthy variety to the game.

~~~~~~
If wizard101 was a movie every episode be like:

"Aye look over there, Its a tiger! It weighs 800 Pounds! It can eat a wizard in 10 Seconds.
Ima touch it."
"ahhh Tiger ITS ANGRY! ITS ANGRY!!!"
"Its a King Cobra, The Most Venomous snake in all of Wizards, One bit and I'm Dead"
"Ima Pick it up."
"SSSSSssss Its ANGRY!!!!!"

Merle Ambrose decided that our wizards were so ferocious, he sent us to Khrysalis with nothing but a stick. Imagine how bad that freaks out the enemy. Your a Hunter, Out their working for morganthe.
"Insert another langulage chat that sounds freaked out"
And your walking towards them wearing shorts, and a T-Shirt.
"Aye, Its Kravenly the hunter! One of the most dangerous hunters of all Time! Most terrifying warrior in all the spiral, One push of a button and I'm gone!"
Ima Poke it with a stick.

~~~~~
These bosses shouldn't be jokes and should remain a step up for the average player, on par with the milestone. (Similar to the first arc, No reason the second arc should be easier than the first. You didn't solo Malistare at 50! We shouldn't be able to solo these final bosses either.)

Historian
May 15, 2009
oh my gosh KO oblivion I laughed so much harder than I should have with your jokes. I know exactly what comedian you got those from and I never expected that joke to ever pop up here in wizard101. oh man I had tears streaming down my face just visualizing that actually happening

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
KOblivion on Apr 10, 2014 wrote:
So what is your definition on a casual gamer?

These cheating bosses, are few and far between in the story line, are the only things that make questing in the worlds interesting.

These bosses are healthy for the game because they add variety on the main quest line. These creatures are meant to be a threat, otherwise whats the big deal? They are always a MAJOR milestone at the end of a very long series of quests, and show how far you;ve gotten.

If the cheats were removed, People would shrug these milestones off, "Oh, Just another easy OHKO Boss fight. I'm bored of this, I've been doing it for the past 48 boss fights!" The average player would get bored and leave.

You've been able to solo these bosses, it looks like they're just an annoyance to be ridden of by the way the text is, When really these bosses add a Healthy variety to the game.

~~~~~~
If wizard101 was a movie every episode be like:

"Aye look over there, Its a tiger! It weighs 800 Pounds! It can eat a wizard in 10 Seconds.
Ima touch it."
"ahhh Tiger ITS ANGRY! ITS ANGRY!!!"
"Its a King Cobra, The Most Venomous snake in all of Wizards, One bit and I'm Dead"
"Ima Pick it up."
"SSSSSssss Its ANGRY!!!!!"

Merle Ambrose decided that our wizards were so ferocious, he sent us to Khrysalis with nothing but a stick. Imagine how bad that freaks out the enemy. Your a Hunter, Out their working for morganthe.
"Insert another langulage chat that sounds freaked out"
And your walking towards them wearing shorts, and a T-Shirt.
"Aye, Its Kravenly the hunter! One of the most dangerous hunters of all Time! Most terrifying warrior in all the spiral, One push of a button and I'm gone!"
Ima Poke it with a stick.

~~~~~
These bosses shouldn't be jokes and should remain a step up for the average player, on par with the milestone. (Similar to the first arc, No reason the second arc should be easier than the first. You didn't solo Malistare at 50! We shouldn't be able to solo these final bosses either.)
Finally someone else who gets it. There are so few cheating bosses in the main storyline as it is. They are milestones and need to be a challenge. So far none have been impossible, just a few that are very hard and require adjustments to strategy.

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
Most of KR1 was pretty easy. Compared to AZ when it first came out KR was cake. KR2 (on test) has a few hard bosses and those are the best parts. I hope they DON"T nerf it because it's going to be thrilling.

Defender
Aug 25, 2013
[1/2]

Been following this post for a while, guess it's time I tossed in some words of my own.

I'm completely torn by the entire situation. I love the game as it is. I love the difficulty and challenge and I've considered myself a "hardcore gamer" (for goodness sake I had over 800 hours logged into Battlefield 3 at the height of it's popularity) but I digress, Wizard101 is not a hardcore game. I dont believe it has ever intended to be a hardcore game, and at the moment it is not one.

Truth be told I think what everyone is disappointed in (as I am in some ways) is the simple fact that you can't solo a lot anymore. And the reason for this is because they have made cheat dungeons that you can't have friends port into, they have to have made it far enough to join you by sigil.

So I guess in reality, I'm disappointed with the fact that none of my friends seem to have held on long enough to make it that far. I had a group of friends who I always used to game with. I haven't been a member of this game as long as most of the people posting on this topic but the progress my wizards have made reflect just how much I love the game and how dedicated I was to leveling my wizards.

I casually play pvp, never really participate in pet derby. I'm a quester, play and simple. If my low level friends ever need help, I'm the one they call on. On one hand I can understand why Von is so upset. This game started as something that was a simple concept, allowing one to log on, do 4-5 quests in a short amount of time, enjoy those moments, and then be done with it.

The newer dungeons require quite a bit more time, and, if you dont have a full group, usually provide a heptic struggle to overcome the odds and defeat either a cheating boss or a hoard of bosses in one dungeon (thinking mainly of Mirror Lake / Xibalba)

this wasn't the case if you look at the formats of most of the old dungeons. And the ones that DID follow this format, WERE optional. And i haven't formed an opinion yet, so that

Defender
Aug 25, 2013
[2/2]

everyone can simply agree on facts. Wizard101 has changed their format and of course this is gonna cause several people to be unhappy.

But overall I dont think much can be done in a way that will make everyone happy. My solution? I'm helping my lower level friends... I'm giving them a leg up, boosting them through all the worlds and being patient as I wait for part 2. Of course a large part of it is I enjoy spending time with my friends, but overall this is good because I know when the time comes, I will have helped a friend reach a place I struggled with the first time around, and when the future struggles come, we will be struggling together.

I love the type of gameplay that KI has offered in the 2nd arc. But yes, it requires at least 1 more person most of the time to squeak by. I dont have 120 friends at my beck and call, but I help the few that seem as dedicated as me, and I take the time out in the hopes that in the long run, they will be there for me when I need them.

So let me offer my final opinion on the matter: YES, KI has drastically changed the course of wizard101 in a lot of ways. But without this change, I feel that the game would have grown redundant a long time ago. the new changes aren't bad but I understand they aren't for everyone. I have said this before and I'll say it again, the solution is to make it so friends of any level can port and help you with the harder boss cheating dungeons, this way there's no need to feel like you have to play with randoms or your forced into year long hiatuses because the game loses it's spark.

I respect everyone's opinion, but most of all I gotta say that I love this game and no matter what changes may happen, I will find ways to overcome them because that's what I love to do.

John RavenCatcher - lvl95
John StormWalker - lvl95
John DragonPyre - lvl52
John FrostShard - lvl47

"Bambi is my old name.
Now.. Now they call me Deer Knight."

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
"So what is your definition on a casual gamer?"

Someone who plays for fun and relaxation; possibly inexperienced. The target audience for this game.

"These cheating bosses are few and far between in the story line/the only things that make questing in the worlds interesting."

The story itself should be what keeps things interesting.

Cheating bosses are great for those with the resources: lots of friends who are available 24/7, uber gear and pet, loads of spare time and money... Not so, for the average casual player. For us, such instances are torturous: unnecessarily long, boring, and definitely not worth it.

"These bosses are healthy for the game/add variety on the main quest line."

I can understand minor cheats to shake things up, but not ridiculous ones. Casual players often get stuck on such instances because they lack the resources to complete them. Stuck players are frustrated players, and frustrated players leave.

You are obviously a very experienced gamer; I, for one, do not have your gaming credentials, and I shouldn't have to. Sometimes, I just want to unwind after a crappy day at work... but I can't do that when the game has become just that: more work.

"If the cheats were removed... The average player would get bored and leave."

No. The average hardcore player would get bored and leave. So leave all the hardcore stuff to optional dungeons and out of the main storyline.

The reason I liked this game was that it wasn't stressful, or a guild-driven, elitist bloodbath like WoW. A game should not be stressful, and any "challenge" should be tempered with fun... All work and no fun make von a bored and unhappy wizard.

"You've been able to solo these bosses, it looks like they're just an annoyance."

Yes, I did solo most of the game, because I had no other choice. I don't like using henchmen; if I do, it's usually because the instance is so boring that I can't be bothered anymore and will do anything to make the torture end.

-von

Explorer
Feb 18, 2010
I agree with you, Dr Von.

For my storm wizard this extremely challenging (I feel like a noob since everyone said K1 was too easy) but when up againt 4v1, cheating bosses etc. I hardly survived. I soled pretty much the whole world yeah but I spent about an hour per boss since it was SO hard.

I have to disagree with taking cheating bosses out of the main story though... it wouldn't make it as fun. But then again they did sort of go crazy with the cheating bosses, I think they should limit the amount of cheating bosses per world to only a small number.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
I can understand minor cheats to shake things up, but not ridiculous ones. Casual players often get stuck on such instances because they lack the resources to complete them. Stuck players are frustrated players, and frustrated players leave.

The thing is, they really have toned down the cheats in Khrysalis. There's only a couple instances that have cheats that make it hard to solo. The Ice boss with mana burn is a pain, but really nowhere near as hard as Belloq's Power Nova was. It just requires a change in strategy like he did. Ghost Dog is another, but he is a milestone battle and really not that hard to solo. I really don't see many frustrated players leaving because of the difficulty of Khrysalis bosses. Those same players made it past Belloq and Xibalba already, and everything in Khrysalis is much easier than Azteca was. From seeing what is coming in part 2 in test realm, there really aren't any major new cheats. Very few cheats at all really.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Dr Von on Apr 12, 2014 wrote:
"So what is your definition on a casual gamer?"

Someone who plays for fun and relaxation; possibly inexperienced. The target audience for this game.

"These cheating bosses are few and far between in the story line/the only things that make questing in the worlds interesting."

The story itself should be what keeps things interesting.

Cheating bosses are great for those with the resources: lots of friends who are available 24/7, uber gear and pet, loads of spare time and money... Not so, for the average casual player. For us, such instances are torturous: unnecessarily long, boring, and definitely not worth it.

"These bosses are healthy for the game/add variety on the main quest line."

You are obviously a very experienced gamer; I, for one, do not have your gaming credentials, and I shouldn't have to. Sometimes, I just want to unwind after a crappy day at work... but I can't do that when the game has become just that: more work.

"If the cheats were removed... The average player would get bored and leave."

No. The average hardcore player would get bored and leave. So leave all the hardcore stuff to optional dungeons and out of the main storyline.

The reason I liked this game was that it wasn't stressful, or a guild-driven, elitist bloodbath like WoW. A game should not be stressful, and any "challenge" should be tempered with fun... All work and no fun make von a bored and unhappy wizard.

"You've been able to solo these bosses, it looks like they're just an annoyance."

Yes, I did solo most of the game, because I had no other choice. I don't like using henchmen; if I do, it's usually because the instance is so boring that I can't be bothered anymore and will do anything to make the torture end.

-von
well said!