Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Level Requirement for Worlds

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
935
Sorry but i disagree, I usually end up in a world at the lowest level to access because i am quick at leveling/questing.

Also i have alot of lowered level friends an family that port in to help me with battles at times. This would make it unfair to those that cannot find a group and get lower levels to help out with things. Im sorry if you feel that underlevels are getting to a zone before you did at that level but if you had higher level friends you would have been there also. This has no effect on you what so ever other than being irritated . Also keep in mind that they cannot access any main quests there so they could just be sight seeing.

My sons account has toons on it at level 40 that i have ported into zaf when i was there to help me out at times and there is nothing wrong with that.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
771
lastdaysgunslinger on Nov 7, 2012 wrote:
Sorry but i disagree, I usually end up in a world at the lowest level to access because i am quick at leveling/questing.

Also i have alot of lowered level friends an family that port in to help me with battles at times. This would make it unfair to those that cannot find a group and get lower levels to help out with things. Im sorry if you feel that underlevels are getting to a zone before you did at that level but if you had higher level friends you would have been there also. This has no effect on you what so ever other than being irritated . Also keep in mind that they cannot access any main quests there so they could just be sight seeing.

My sons account has toons on it at level 40 that i have ported into zaf when i was there to help me out at times and there is nothing wrong with that.
I believe most people issues are:

1) Mistakes. Wizards porting to advanced worlds without realizing what they are getting themselves into. Often just an honest mistake because they are porting to a high level wizard friend. New people to the game do not understand this, and really hard to explain to menu chat wizards. Result: Delete all your menu chat and low level friends. Not very nice.

2) Leeches. People who port in and hang around. They enter fights late and play only defensively so they don't get attacked. Very very annoying. They drag in extra enemy and don't help. In tough situation this leads to losing a battle. Some crumby leeches might participate in battle, using your feints and traps. Many have the audacity to ask for health in mid battle. These are players who actively know what they are doing and are playing the system.

I don't think most players have issues with actual friends porting to help on a quest. But as per my earlier post, a level 20 in a Celestia dungeon is completely ridiculous.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
935
RottenHeart on Nov 7, 2012 wrote:
I believe most people issues are:

1) Mistakes. Wizards porting to advanced worlds without realizing what they are getting themselves into. Often just an honest mistake because they are porting to a high level wizard friend. New people to the game do not understand this, and really hard to explain to menu chat wizards. Result: Delete all your menu chat and low level friends. Not very nice.

2) Leeches. People who port in and hang around. They enter fights late and play only defensively so they don't get attacked. Very very annoying. They drag in extra enemy and don't help. In tough situation this leads to losing a battle. Some crumby leeches might participate in battle, using your feints and traps. Many have the audacity to ask for health in mid battle. These are players who actively know what they are doing and are playing the system.

I don't think most players have issues with actual friends porting to help on a quest. But as per my earlier post, a level 20 in a Celestia dungeon is completely ridiculous.
Well i only have actual friends on my friends list to prevent things of this sort. But there are alot of kids in this game and they probably dont know any better. My advice to the OP would be shut off your port option and its fixed. As for others running around thats not the case. It is annoying and disruptive but this is an MMO and it is not going to stop so i suggest for us all to suck it up and play the game.

Hey Rot ive proted a level 15 to Zaf before just to get an occasional heal so i justify this for my gaming but that is just me.

Survivor
Dec 27, 2011
43
There are already level requirments. I finished Dragonsypre at level 47 but I couldn't unlock Celestia untill level 48 when I did a few side quests to level up!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3175
Nikki Da Bomb on Nov 23, 2012 wrote:
There are already level requirments. I finished Dragonsypre at level 47 but I couldn't unlock Celestia untill level 48 when I did a few side quests to level up!
True, but those with subs can access any world at any time, whether they've unlocked it or not.

So, let's say that your wizard and mine are friends~ if I'm level 50 and you're level 12, for example, you can still port to me in Celestia if you have a membership. See the problem here?

1) A level 12 wizard does not have access to the tools required to hold his (or her) own in combat in Celestia and, therefore, should not be entering any battles; all that level 12 is going to do is stand there and spam "I need healing", which is annoying and disrespectful to the other person.

2) I totally understand people wanting to see the new worlds. You can come and look around, but you shouldn't be entering combat unless the person you ported to says it's okay. See above.

-

I still stand by my original statement: unless you, yourself, have unlocked the world via quest progression, you have no business being there. End of.

-von

Defender
Feb 24, 2012
192
Nope i cannot agree with this. the players that port in have the right to look around. They cannot get quests in the world unless they have key in. If this was against ToS then it wouldnt be possible to port in. All this is would be people mad because some lower level jumped into their battle and now they are mad so they get on here complaining about level requirements.

Nope my vote is just and players should be allowed porting anywhere they wish at what ever level they are.

Survivor
Sep 19, 2012
2
Personally I have a "Mule"
(another account to allow me to have a portal stone, or a henchman when I need them)
she is only at 32 at the moment but I have brought her to stone town and such when I need reagents for her crafting yes. But I obviously do not have her join battles that are over her head, and the one time I got pulled into an battle accidentally I just passed out towers and apologized the whole time. I understand there's a huge problem though with people that haven't a clue what they are doing making already difficult battles harder. But this isn't always level specific, there are people that join battles without asking at all levels and places. This drives me crazy because I rarely pack more then I need (i find having to many cards in my deck makes it hard to get what I need when I need it) and when an additional enemy is drawn in I end up having to reshuffle and such.

Overall I just wish more people could understand the set of "manners" of asking before you join a battle or port to a friend. It seems like while many people respect these rules of etiquette but on the other hand there are many that seem oblivious. Maybe there could be something in the beginning (like when they are like "hey you can use text chat" etc.) That just points out those little things. I don't think these players are really trying to upset or annoy anyone, they just don't know any better yet. I think it just needs to be pointed out to them before they ruin someones day without realizing it.

Defender
Feb 24, 2012
192
BoundBirdie on Nov 25, 2012 wrote:
Personally I have a "Mule"
(another account to allow me to have a portal stone, or a henchman when I need them)
she is only at 32 at the moment but I have brought her to stone town and such when I need reagents for her crafting yes. But I obviously do not have her join battles that are over her head, and the one time I got pulled into an battle accidentally I just passed out towers and apologized the whole time. I understand there's a huge problem though with people that haven't a clue what they are doing making already difficult battles harder. But this isn't always level specific, there are people that join battles without asking at all levels and places. This drives me crazy because I rarely pack more then I need (i find having to many cards in my deck makes it hard to get what I need when I need it) and when an additional enemy is drawn in I end up having to reshuffle and such.

Overall I just wish more people could understand the set of "manners" of asking before you join a battle or port to a friend. It seems like while many people respect these rules of etiquette but on the other hand there are many that seem oblivious. Maybe there could be something in the beginning (like when they are like "hey you can use text chat" etc.) That just points out those little things. I don't think these players are really trying to upset or annoy anyone, they just don't know any better yet. I think it just needs to be pointed out to them before they ruin someones day without realizing it.
This is my point some people have friends ,family, or multiple accounts that they use lower levels to assist. I guess the people that are mad about these things are the ones that solo primarily. And for them they need to stop allowing low level friends or stop allowing friends that have no common sense. I believe these annoyances arent KI's fault or the spirals fault it is the player complainings fault for not shutting off port option.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3175
fireproof1111 on Nov 25, 2012 wrote:
This is my point some people have friends ,family, or multiple accounts that they use lower levels to assist. I guess the people that are mad about these things are the ones that solo primarily. And for them they need to stop allowing low level friends or stop allowing friends that have no common sense. I believe these annoyances arent KI's fault or the spirals fault it is the player complainings fault for not shutting off port option.
No, it's not KI's fault, nor is it the fault of players who don't avail themselves of the porting option~ it's the fault of selfish people who don't care about the wants/needs of others who share the same space. If you are old enough to play the game, you should also be old enough to know proper manners and ask before disrupting another person's gaming experience.

I'm not a solo player~ I have a full buddy list, and always quest with at least one other teammate... Nonetheless, I keep friend-requests and ports off at all times, but I shouldn't have to. Sure, it prevents low-levels from mooching off of my time and effort, but it also limits my access to friends who can actually help; in the same vein, it discourages us trans/arch/Promethean wizards from helping newbies because, if we help them now, who's to say that they won't just randomly drop in on us in Avalon in a month from now and 1) spam "I need healing" ad nauseum or 2) scoop up all of the XP that we worked for months or years to earn? Yes, KI has measures in place to prevent power-leveling, but something more needs to be done about this entitled attitude from players who want the rewards without having to work for them.

(I also don't add low-levels unless they belong to an existing friend~ someone I can trust not to mooch off me and who I know respects the time I put into getting my characters to where they are).

Yes, some of these random porters are kids. But, you know what? Kids usually don't know what's polite or socially-acceptable unless told, so it's up to all of you parents out there to teach your children proper manners~ just as it's impolite to show up at a party uninvited, it's equally rude to assume that, just because someone's ports are on, it's an open invitation to invade her space.

Ports on does not equal open-door policy. If you want to see Avalon or Azteca, ask me~ I don't have a problem showing you around, but don't just drop in and expect me to keep you alive, because I refuse to carry someone who can't or won't carry herself.

-von

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
771
fireproof1111 on Nov 25, 2012 wrote:
This is my point some people have friends ,family, or multiple accounts that they use lower levels to assist. I guess the people that are mad about these things are the ones that solo primarily. And for them they need to stop allowing low level friends or stop allowing friends that have no common sense. I believe these annoyances arent KI's fault or the spirals fault it is the player complainings fault for not shutting off port option.
Nobody gives two hoots about underleveled players that don't interfere with their game play. Why would anybody even notice them? The issues arise when underdeveloped players jump unsolicited into stranger's battles or dungeons. Turning off port options and becoming hidden to friends is hardly a decent solution for an MMO. Excluding properly leveled friends is a silly (but necessary?) solution.

Explorer
Jan 29, 2011
52
Survivor
Mar 07, 2009
2
octagig on Aug 25, 2008 wrote:
I think it would be a good idea to place level requirements on the worlds, reasonable levels that a person would be at when they reach a new world. Lately I am seeing more and more people taking lower level friends through high level worlds to get them to level up faster.

It just seems like it takes away from the game and isn't really fair to those of us who actually worked to get to where we are. It would also cut back on the number of noobs who teleport in, add an enemy, then leave because it is too overwhelming for them.

Results

Should there be level requirements for worlds?
Yes 47%
No 53%
i just wish i could see when i can get to places or what missions i have to do.

Survivor
Mar 12, 2012
6
Progenitor on Aug 25, 2008 wrote:
I'd love to see a sign next to the entrance of each zone, that contains a warning stating the appropriate level that a wizard should be to venture forth.

That way, if you want, you can press X to read the sign or just skip it and run blindly into danger.

But it would be nice to know if you are just too low level for the zone or just need to reorg your deck.

The only problem is that some schools might have different thoughts on what is a good level. A Life wizard might have more difficulty than a Storm wizard or vice versa .

-p
well it would be nice in mooshu for the signs but not in wizard city plus, i have already learned where all the entrances to whatever are.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
935
Dr Von on Nov 25, 2012 wrote:
No, it's not KI's fault, nor is it the fault of players who don't avail themselves of the porting option~ it's the fault of selfish people who don't care about the wants/needs of others who share the same space. If you are old enough to play the game, you should also be old enough to know proper manners and ask before disrupting another person's gaming experience.

I'm not a solo player~ I have a full buddy list, and always quest with at least one other teammate... Nonetheless, I keep friend-requests and ports off at all times, but I shouldn't have to. Sure, it prevents low-levels from mooching off of my time and effort, but it also limits my access to friends who can actually help; in the same vein, it discourages us trans/arch/Promethean wizards from helping newbies because, if we help them now, who's to say that they won't just randomly drop in on us in Avalon in a month from now and 1) spam "I need healing" ad nauseum or 2) scoop up all of the XP that we worked for months or years to earn? Yes, KI has measures in place to prevent power-leveling, but something more needs to be done about this entitled attitude from players who want the rewards without having to work for them.

(I also don't add low-levels unless they belong to an existing friend~ someone I can trust not to mooch off me and who I know respects the time I put into getting my characters to where they are).

Yes, some of these random porters are kids. But, you know what? Kids usually don't know what's polite or socially-acceptable unless told, so it's up to all of you parents out there to teach your children proper manners~ just as it's impolite to show up at a party uninvited, it's equally rude to assume that, just because someone's ports are on, it's an open invitation to invade her space.

Ports on does not equal open-door policy. If you want to see Avalon or Azteca, ask me~ I don't have a problem showing you around, but don't just drop in and expect me to keep you alive, because I refuse to carry someone who can't or won't carry herself.

-von
I know one thing im not being a baby sitter or teacher lol.

Yeah it is the selfish peoples fault too , i agree with that.

But i will agree with fireproof also as to the solution is as simple as turning port off. Also if people would only allow good friends with common sense on their list then this wouldnt be a problem anymore.

Way to many people out there just hitting accept when a friend invite comes to them.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3175
lastdaysgunslinger on Nov 26, 2012 wrote:
I know one thing im not being a baby sitter or teacher lol.

Yeah it is the selfish peoples fault too , i agree with that.

But i will agree with fireproof also as to the solution is as simple as turning port off. Also if people would only allow good friends with common sense on their list then this wouldnt be a problem anymore.

Way to many people out there just hitting accept when a friend invite comes to them.
I agree~ I am not a teleport pad, and I refuse to be treated like one. I keep friend-requests turned off as well and only open them on an individual basis, but they go back off immediately after.

Time and again, people have suggested a selective porting option. How it works~ I'm an 85 Balance wizard and, if I'm fighting in Azteca and someone else wants to port in, I'd get this message with his/her name and level:

(names and levels in example are those of my own wizards)

Sestiva Stormblade (level 64) wants to port to you: allow?
Angela Nightflame (level 17) wants to port to you: allow?

I'd probably be okay with a level 64 friend porting to me, so I'd click YES to let her into the fight. As for the level 17 friend, I'd click NO, and she'd receive the pop-up stating that "your friend is busy right now". KI should definitely look into such an option~ it'd keep the unwanted porters out, while not cutting us off from friends who can actually help us.

-von

Survivor
Feb 24, 2009
11
I think that there shouldn't be level requirements. The reason is that there is no reason to hold someone back just because of the level they are. If they can handle hard quests and level up, I think they'll be fine.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
771
Unfortunately, as can be seen from these threads, the quantity of players with lower level wizards far outnumber those with higher level wizards. First time players who have not yet made it through Mooshu or Dragonspyre, have little appreciation for why it may be a concern. Very obvious the from postings on this forum.

I suspect the OP survey on this question may be significantly skewed based on the people asked. I am sure that if a player survey of those who have achieved Celestia and beyond it would be very close to unanimous that first time players should be restricted from jumping into worlds 10+ levels beyond their wizard.

Survivor
Jul 14, 2009
8
i mean not leveling up anymore? I would have stopped playing wizard101 if that was the case.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
935
RottenHeart on Nov 29, 2012 wrote:
Unfortunately, as can be seen from these threads, the quantity of players with lower level wizards far outnumber those with higher level wizards. First time players who have not yet made it through Mooshu or Dragonspyre, have little appreciation for why it may be a concern. Very obvious the from postings on this forum.

I suspect the OP survey on this question may be significantly skewed based on the people asked. I am sure that if a player survey of those who have achieved Celestia and beyond it would be very close to unanimous that first time players should be restricted from jumping into worlds 10+ levels beyond their wizard.
I dont know me an my son plus a few of our friends are done with azteca and we all agree there should not be a level requirement. Specifically because we port in lower levels at times for assistance. Maybe its more along the lines of solo players or people without dual accounts want the level ban. Not me or my friends an family, Im happy as can be with porting my nephews level 20 into azteca for minor heals. See that is why i dont agree with level requirements because then people could not port in their lower level friends an family when needed.
The answer to all these posts are quite simple, Dont let people without common sense on your buddy list.

Survivor
Feb 08, 2012
13
i dont think there should be any cause i have a lvl 29 wiz who doesnt have a member or crowns and hasnt completed krok yet x.x

Defender
Feb 24, 2012
192
lollypophop123 on Dec 2, 2012 wrote:
i dont think there should be any cause i have a lvl 29 wiz who doesnt have a member or crowns and hasnt completed krok yet x.x
Well with no membership or crowns you cannot port to other worlds Lollypop so this wont affect that in the sense.
You require the membership or the zone purchased before you can enter or port to a world.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
771
lastdaysgunslinger on Dec 2, 2012 wrote:
I dont know me an my son plus a few of our friends are done with azteca and we all agree there should not be a level requirement. Specifically because we port in lower levels at times for assistance. Maybe its more along the lines of solo players or people without dual accounts want the level ban. Not me or my friends an family, Im happy as can be with porting my nephews level 20 into azteca for minor heals. See that is why i dont agree with level requirements because then people could not port in their lower level friends an family when needed.
The answer to all these posts are quite simple, Dont let people without common sense on your buddy list.
My level 70 got asked to help in avalon last night. A level 30-something was brought in too. His only value was taking the occasional hit so he could die, flee and port back in. He also acted as a portal point for other team members if they died. As for spells: negligible value. Healing sprite and unicorn are useless if you are regularly taking +800 hits. He was a cool guy and fully aware that he was basically a door post. After the boss fight he left because it was no fun.

Sorry gunslinger. I gotta disagree. Bringing a level 20 into these worlds is silly. Their only value is to act as in-battle portal points for when you die. And I strongly disagree with the die-port-die strategy of game play. Its an abuse of game mechanics (my opinion). If you can't find a team of reasonably functional players, then focus on a different part of the game and return later.

Survivor
Apr 27, 2009
32
No, I think you should challenge all the world with whatever level you got.

-ARF

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
935
RottenHeart on Dec 9, 2012 wrote:
My level 70 got asked to help in avalon last night. A level 30-something was brought in too. His only value was taking the occasional hit so he could die, flee and port back in. He also acted as a portal point for other team members if they died. As for spells: negligible value. Healing sprite and unicorn are useless if you are regularly taking +800 hits. He was a cool guy and fully aware that he was basically a door post. After the boss fight he left because it was no fun.

Sorry gunslinger. I gotta disagree. Bringing a level 20 into these worlds is silly. Their only value is to act as in-battle portal points for when you die. And I strongly disagree with the die-port-die strategy of game play. Its an abuse of game mechanics (my opinion). If you can't find a team of reasonably functional players, then focus on a different part of the game and return later.
Well i will say this a level 20 life wiz with good heal output can give you a 300-600 heal. And if you have good resists and good incoming heal and High health you dont need much to keep you going, Or at least i dont.
We do just fine with small heals on the occasion.
See it really depends on how well your toon is set up. Mine is set up to solo so i don t need a whole lot of anything but when the battle gets a little heated up i like to have that 500 heal every other round especially when i only need a few rounds to demolish the ring.

Im assuming that level 30 you spoke of didnt have the heal output and you must not have the heal input that would make it work. Some do though and to them bringing that helpful hand in is not silly, it works.

Everyone is set up different though.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
935
Tallies are at
16% agree to a level requirement
18% dont care
66% oppose a level requirement

This is an over all tally from all the web sites i have posted voting posts.
Im still following these posts for a little bit longer incase someone hasnt seen or voted.