Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Changes to Critical Hit and Critical Block system

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jun 14, 2016
Merfolura on Jun 18, 2016 wrote:
What I would appreciate is at least removing the level penalty of critical. Its already more statistically based, so it makes it more fair. If high level players have done so much to get awesome critical gear, they deserve a higher percentage. I have a max storm, with 434 rating, and he only has 35% when before, it was around 80%. Its only fair?
And allow the word "crit" in Filtered chat.
I believe it's meant to make it difficult to always crit at max level but still allow grandmasters and legendaries to get a fair chance to crit at all. I'd personally prefer a curve where each critical rating point increases the rate by less, so going from 10 to 20 is more of a change than from 100 to 110.

Survivor
Sep 10, 2009
The complaints are founded on misconceptions and nostalgia. There seems to be a psychological problem with posters in this thread about probability. A 10% critical chance means that someone can land consecutive critical but that is a rare occasion. I agree that it was implemented poorly but adjustments should be made. Casual players were being punished in the old system. There needs to be an increase in block stats on older pieces of gear but only a substantial increase. All this talk of spending thousands of dollars on this game is a stretch, hundreds is more accurate. I spent less than £50 on this game and also have full DM gear, a good mega pet, jewels and whatnot. You need to be smart in your spending. You can convert that into dollars. It is not KI's fault you felt that you wasted your money because you are the one who decided to invest and as in the business world, investments carry a risk.

All those people who act like self proclaimed business analysts need to understand that they don't know it all. Saying misleading statements like "implementing X and Y will boost revenue" although had some truth isn't realistic. We can only hope that one day critical is turned off below level 50.

Survivor
Dec 23, 2010
This Critical change is the single biggest mistake KI ever made , and i have quit the game as soon as test came out with it ,it has since shaken the game to the core where so many people that compete in the game or are hurt by the loss of progress due to the change have quit the game , i have played wizard since beta and this update killed the spark in the game and hurt all the previous progress , i have posted on Central few threads to leave the old system in place but to no results . Although now this new update may fix some of the damage done by this system change it still cant bring the golden days of the game back .Too much was lost , too many friends , too much progress , the tournaments on Central drop like a rock , people just left .. I love wizard101 and i am sad that KI does not listen to players as much as they should as it takes weeks of playing even months to know exactly every impact a change makes in the game , for which people aat Kingsisle unless they are a hardcore players that play the game 12 hours a day do not and can not for see all the aspect of the game that is effected by a change like this . That is why players like ,my self have a input KI should use when making these major mechanic changes
Off topic cause i almost never post here i post on Central i like KI to save the game and bring back the spark , dungeon like malistare , Hades , water works

Pvp , team pvp , 3v3,4v4 went dead , that is one of the most fun part of the game please work on that , again friendships are built there and real fun happens and its good for the game .

Work on the chat system as it was better before , now too many words go in red , in text chat , itrs hard to communicate , as you can see people like my self miss spell words or keyboards get stuck ect , too restricted now the chat system is and it hurts the players who dont spell well ..

Polaris too short , not enough gear drops or gear , and game not challenging at all , people love making strategies to beat bos

Survivor
Jan 21, 2014
I have noticed that different schools have different percentages of critical, even if they have the same "amount" of critical rating.
My best friend is a myth and she had some 200 something critical. her % was 50, meaning it was a 50/50 chance that she would critical. I had a much higher rating, and my % was around 38. I am an ice. This makes me angry and confused, because even though ice is more used for tanking instead of attacking, we still need to attack every once in awhile. Please let a certain number mean the same amount for all schools!

Ashley Spriteshield, level 98
Esmee Hawkeyes, level 28
Grace Stormeyes, level 6

Delver
Jun 14, 2016
coolio6384 on Aug 9, 2016 wrote:
I have noticed that different schools have different percentages of critical, even if they have the same "amount" of critical rating.
My best friend is a myth and she had some 200 something critical. her % was 50, meaning it was a 50/50 chance that she would critical. I had a much higher rating, and my % was around 38. I am an ice. This makes me angry and confused, because even though ice is more used for tanking instead of attacking, we still need to attack every once in awhile. Please let a certain number mean the same amount for all schools!

Ashley Spriteshield, level 98
Esmee Hawkeyes, level 28
Grace Stormeyes, level 6
It depends on your level.

Survivor
Jul 14, 2012
This Critical/Block System is awful. If you listen to your fans then you'll realize that you should go back to the old system. The majority of the players hate this new system including me. I know people who quit this game because of the change. If this doesn't get changed than more people are gonna quit your game.

Survivor
Jul 14, 2012
I think that we should go back to the old system, but only for PvE, keep this system for pvp only.

Survivor
Sep 15, 2013
I have tested the critical and block system and it's not good... From 10 critical hits i have blocked only 1 10/1 is very bad. Also my critical hits dropped down to 10/1 also. You should really consider changing it to half odds...

Survivor
Oct 24, 2015
I have 7 characters at max level. I have all the gear up to that plus the Malistaire gear.
Before Polaris I blocked or critivaled on bosses 75% of the time. Now I crit only 25% to 30% of the time. Why did the rating change when Kingsilse knew that the bosses and some of the mobs would critical and block.
Before a world comes out I go on on to the test realm and these changes that you did then on Polaris on test was nominal. But when you rushed Polaris in you forgot to balance the the critical rating and block rating for the lower worlds. You left it as the Polaris changes and people who quest are not blocking and going critical as they should be.
I have a Storm at prodigious in which my critical on paper is at over 600 but it works out as a 54 critical rating in the new system. In the old system it would of worked out to be 76 critical rating a drop of 22.
I have been told also people doing PVP were complaining to Kingsisle that part time or players who quest who go into a PVP arena and beat them complained about the critical.
If these people realise questing gear is different to PVP gear and I have seen these people questing and they boast their stats in which they then are surprised at what a Quester can achieve with the equipment they have.

Kingsisle I have been playing the game for 6 years this year and have enjoyed it until lately. Please change the critical and if need be have 2 different types of stats.
1 for everyday questing and 1 for PVP

Love the game I hate the changes and I bet 99% of the over 6 million players will agree with me.

Survivor
Dec 17, 2010
I have to agree the new changes to the critical system make no sense. Before the changes one would work hard to build their critical, if that's what they wanted to base their attack on. On the same hand players would work hard to build their block to critical. It was a decent, and fair system, without many unexpected surprises. Now you say it's based on " rolling " the dice to see what happens. Come on Kings Isle. Who comes up with ideas like that? Why did this happen? Was it due to players getting killed by critical, that didn't bother to build critical block? If this is the case, these players didn't even know how the system worked. Or they didn't want the bother of the hard work it takes, to be proficient in the pvp part of the game. It is not fair that you make a drastic change to a very important part of the game, without thoroughly investigating the outcome of what you are doing. As you stated you will never change it back. There sure are lots of players who like it the way it was. I also want to know when " Insane bolt " was changed from a " sun spell " to a storm spell. Yes i pvp with my storm wiz, and found that out the hard way. lol. I was in a battle where the great storm wiz i was against, kept using dispel on me. I tried to get around it using insane bolt as a last resort. To my surprise, it fizzed from the dispel. You certainly are full of surprises when it comes to making drastic changes to the game, and spells that are old school. In regards to the 80/20 chance of landing insane on your opponent, or oneself. No way can that be right. I have done many, many tests on it. It lands on oneself no less than 50/50, so i wish you would correct the numbers in regards to how it works. I know you will not change it to land 80/20. No i won't ever make a ice wizard. lol. Thank you

Survivor
Dec 17, 2010
Michael Owlhaven on Nov 21, 2015 wrote:
Since there isn't a possibility to change back to the old system, I would very much appreciate a increase in critical block percentage. I've noticed almost always when a spell goes critical, it is not blocked. An increase in block percentage would make this new system much more fair.
Yes it's a shame we are stating our dislike for the new system, and Kings Isle has stated it will never go back. The players who don't like the new critical system are the serious players. I have been trying to figure out why such a change would happen, when its the casual player who doesn't like the old system. A lot of casual players are not willing to work to get better gear, and read up on how to improve your game play. This is a shame for players who have put so much time and effort into the game, to have it drastically changed to help the casual player. A wise man once said: " If you don't like it, don't do it " Many of my player friends have quit since the change. The game is full of jumping low level, no membership players, who most likely spend way more than i do on crowns.

Survivor
Dec 10, 2010
EVERYONE READ!

Here is the first and for most simplest fix they should have started with before the change over or should look at now.

The problem at its root should of been or should be dealt with by changing the health max for the high levels.

there is just simply no fuctional pvp time in the hitting and defending part of the pvp now matter the spell, your either dead or alive, depending on who goes first pretty much 90 percent of the time. if you added more health to the game it would of balanced the schools easily and still being able to keep the unique ness of the schools strategies at the same time. ty that's all I got to say kennethdeathshade

Survivor
Jun 04, 2009
Professor Drake on Nov 20, 2015 wrote:
Greetings, students. I would like to take some time to comment on the recent adjustments made to the Critical and Block system. As many of you are aware, we made significant changes to the system and how it works. These changes were not made lightly. I want to assure you that we would not have made these changes if we did not feel they were absolutely necessary. With this in mind, the system will not be reverted to the way it was in the past.

If it wasn’t made clear before, this is how the new system works: The attacker will roll to see if they score a Critical Hit. If the attack is a Critical, then the defender will roll to see if they successfully Block the Critical hit. Because this is working differently than how it was calculated before, some of you will notice a change in your chance to score a Critical Hit or Block.

Please give it a try and see the how the changes impact your gameplay in practice. We take your feedback very seriously (both positive and negative). We read the forums here and on other sites. Based on feedback we have already received, we are looking at tweaking some numbers to improve scores at certain points in the level curve. Overall, we want a healthy game where players are having fun. We will continue to monitor player feedback and your progression through the game.
I am replying to your post partially because I have something to say about the critical and block system, but also about your slogan, "To control the Future, One must look to the Past."

I believe the exact opposite. To control the Past, One must look to the Future. In other words, the best way to remedy one's mistakes is to learn from them and apply what you have learned in the future. Perhaps we are thinking of the same concept except we are wording it differently. It depends on how you look at it. But I also say this as a punch to the way the KingsIsle team approaches its problems. I do believe that they have made mistakes in the past, but at this point they can't go back to fix them. Not without major consequences. Many people try to make suggestions to the game that have long since been written in stone. Even I have done it. We attempt to fix what should have been fixed a long time ago. But in the end it is futile. The best way to fix the game is to apply our mistakes to new content which could repurpose the past.

Anyways, about the critical and block system. I think this is how it should have been from the beginning. The only problem I have with it is when a high level wizard has a notable amount of critical or block, let's say 150, it only amounts to about 1-2%. That's not even usable. I understand that you need more critical or block to achieve a usable amount but even then, the chance of getting a lucky critical with another school spell is dismissible. I feel this is robbing us of the opportunity to use creative strategies with unique gear and deck setups. I feel like we are being forced to play a certain way rather than getting to choose our own strategy.