Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Changes to Critical Hit and Critical Block system

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Nov 17, 2013
93
A level 50 boss should be able to critical on my level 110 wizard. We want the old system back. Bring it back temporarily, until y'all at KI can find a new system that can actually satisfy our needs.

Clearly, this system needs MAJOR testing. Even, with 3-4 updates you did to the new system, people are still not happy. Is that not a sign that this system is really not working?

Explorer
Feb 23, 2012
72
GamingNinja4615 on Dec 3, 2015 wrote:
Hello,

If you have read any of my previous replies to this new system that I have made, then you can tell that I was pretty angry at the time with how things have changed. However, KI just released an update early this morning (December 3, 2015) which brings up your critical and your critical block. Plus, almost all the creatures in the entire Spiral have had a reduction from their original critical or critical block ratings. Basically those ratings were cut in half for all the creatures, according to the update notes. Seeing all of these changes, I'm VERY happy they were made, the system still will take some getting used to but I feel like it's been more balanced out.

Also, in the update notes, it says that Darkmoor has been changed for the better, making bosses a little bit easier, which will definetly help me with my farming. Thanks KingsIsle!

Kenneth FireBlade (Level 104)
yes! now I see it is better now this is what we needed, just let us get far in the game and will be the same again

such as higher critical and higher block with new gear later on...

Explorer
May 23, 2009
96
Nordic Champion on Dec 5, 2015 wrote:
I also wanted to add as a general statement: Sharing opinions is great and I love that about the message boards. It is my opinion that it is sad to see so many people leave or threaten to leave the spiral over this change. KI seems to be a company who cares a lot about its fan base and player community. Not just because of the money that players pay either. They have a lot of giveaways, contest, code keys, fansite events, many ways to get free, valuable items. They always make the holidays special all year long and send you stuff for your bday. I just think it is sad that people seem to take that for granted. Hey, maybe they don't care what do I know? But they seem like a cool company with great people who love what they do.

I also wanted to say that Polaris is amazing. I am only in Forlorn Tayg but am taking my time and enjoying the journey. Polaris is INCREDIBLE. I love it so much there. I am thankful to have a new world to enjoy right now and for my lower level wizards to look forward to. Very thankful and happy.

Again, I know not everything is glowing sunshine and happiness, but it makes me sad to see people throwing insults. I don't like to see it in game or here. I know some opinions might cause a stir and that is what hot topics are, but I hope people remember this is a game. When you first started out it was about making friends and having fun. Sometimes it seems like all people care about is having the best of everything and step on whoever is in the way. Or people don't take time to get to know someone, just use them and go. I spend a lot of time selfishly in game working on my wizards, usually hidden. But I also spend a lot of time helping others, lower level or same. I may have even helped you, the wizards like Angel of Solitude and Scarlet Stardust who lash out at me because they misunderstand my post. It just would have been cool to see some questions for me rather then a lot of sarcasm which was neither funny or clever.
Agreed. I find your posts exceptionally realistic. I, too had the same opinion as you and an exchange before on this board only to be lashed out at as well. I'm also a paying player and have spent more than a thousand dollars just on crowns. Only, I've never hold it against KI knowing that was fully my decision.

Survivor
Nov 06, 2011
1
I have a full list of friends. I've asked each and every one of them in order: "what do you think of the new critical system" i've even asked completely random people. Not one has said: "I like it" or "Its okay." The answers ranged from "this was a terrible change." to "I can't even solo anymore" Why do you believe that this new system is better? This makes no sense. I am a life wiz level 110, i used to critical most of the time, i have around 400 critical. Now i critical about 3 times a day. I can't heal correctly, and now people blame me for not being good enough. Im going to put it straight. This new system is terrible. I suggest change quickly... I suspect you are losing money, not that i would know, and im not insulting you. But i am BEGGING. Change, it, back. This game is my childhood, now its not making me want to play it. Nearly every "student" feels the same. Why isn't it changed back yet???? Please do that.

Explorer
Jun 27, 2014
82
Eric Stormbringer on Dec 3, 2015 wrote:
Yes this system is merely a stop-gap measure until they can implement a new system or more likely add a new stat such as block pierce or a similar mechanic. The reason I agree with this system is that it is better for game balance than the old system which had already reached it's limits. A continuation of the old system would have excessively punished casual players to the point of unplayability while simultaneously punishing those who did not have the best of the best gear.
So lets say they introduce block pierce how will that benefit people like me with 30% block exactly? I have always went for some sort of balance in stats i dont want extremely high block or critical but I want a reasonable chance to do either.The 6 wizards I have that have finished Polaris all have somewhere around 20-40% critical and around 30-40%block.When they designed the gear with huge amounts to block to gain almost or total critical immunity where was the thought exactly? Why did they even design something that means they will have to punish people like me who just want a decent set with balanced stats, good damage and resist and nothing else? Is there even a place left for me in this game? The total nerf to hades set extremely upsets me My myth at 67 with junk wand and waterworks set has better critical and block than a lvl 93 fire in FULL hades gear and hades wand because why? hades set gives her a whopping 4% critical and 14%block, if thats in full hades what about those who are still in waterworks with less block? Or what about those who are in bazaar gear?Just how awful is it for them now? Then you say introduce block pierce to account for the poorly designed high block gear, so what in order to actually continue I must give up what little critical I have and lose a fair amount of damage and pip chance and mana just to survive? What will I need to give up next? When will there ever be a time where the balanced set up is the best option? If this is truly the way this game is heading where only extreme values will be of any benefit then I am out of here and I am sure I am not the only one who feels like this.

Explorer
Feb 23, 2012
72
wow from testing this the system
k I sheriously needs to change this, don't think none of my characters are gonna step foot in the arena again for rank unless they jade

Survivor
Dec 28, 2011
6
What it boils down to is this: The higher you go, the worse the gear gets. What you get in Polaris is appalling. Dropped? Purchase? No no no! OMG, why are we being handicapped so badly?

Sure, the mega farming elitists think everything is hunky dory and the worlds are too easy now, so let's forget about the little everyday people that try to play and have FUN. STOP saying the world(s)/Bosses are too easy! The majority of players think it's just fine or too hard!

Darkmoor? What a joke. None of my wizards have gone through, because they keep getting "kicked out" of the group, or the group doesn't finish the dungeon and just leaves. I guess if you weren't one of the lucky few who went into DM within the first couple of days, too bad, because those who went through it won't help or stay long enough for you to finish.

I AM a casual player, even though I have crafted gear and 'perfect' pets (at least perfect for me). Farming dungeons like DM is tedious and boring, especially since it can take you MONTHS (if ever) to get decent gear.

So, don't tell me DM is optional, because it's not any more. The gear and spell are necessary to be able to complete Polaris, especially Rasputin. My Storm is good, but doesn't meet the 'recommended stats' that are required to defeat Rasputin. I've put together the best gear I can. It's nothing to sneeze at, and is better than most casual players out there, but I feel as though I'm going to fail miserably every time and never finish Polaris. Does that make me want to continue to play? NO.

Defender
Apr 05, 2013
100
RIP critical system.

Okay, so I guess the Dec. 3rd update kinda helped things a little bit? The critical system, however, is still broken. Please KI, please don't ignore this issue. Here are my problems with this system:

1. Too RNG based. Previously, both critical and block were dependent variables, as in, the chance that you would land a critical depended on your opponent's block and the chance that you would block depended on your opponent's critical. I think this was a good system that only needed a little bit of tweaking. However, now that critical and block have become independent variables, it's pretty much all luck. Yes, there was a bit of luck included in the previous system as well, that's inevitable, but this new system strongly relies on luck as a main factor.

2. The stats we have worked so hard for have now been reduced to dirt. What about the hours we spent farming Darkmoor? What about the money spent on crowns gear? The effort we put into getting that "must-have" piece of gear? Was it all just to watch our stats get nerfed?

3. The schools have now become unbalanced. Especially life. Now, I am not a life wizard, but after hearing their complaints, I truly sympathize with them. In fact, I was planning on making a life wizard, but now I'm having second thoughts.

Please. Bring back the old system. Or just change this. Something. We're begging, here.

Survivor
Jun 02, 2014
49
BrynnerOfReign on Nov 20, 2015 wrote:
Frankly, we should completely drop the block and critical from the game itself. For that matter, let's also drop pierce and other buffs. Let's just play without a bunch of enhancements so that people have to actually learn how to play their own schools. This would make a more even playing field between us and the NPC's, if we're stripped of all the convoluted extra stuff.
I think that would make things WORSE

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
1025
dizzydiana73 on Dec 6, 2015 wrote:
So lets say they introduce block pierce how will that benefit people like me with 30% block exactly? I have always went for some sort of balance in stats i dont want extremely high block or critical but I want a reasonable chance to do either.The 6 wizards I have that have finished Polaris all have somewhere around 20-40% critical and around 30-40%block.When they designed the gear with huge amounts to block to gain almost or total critical immunity where was the thought exactly? Why did they even design something that means they will have to punish people like me who just want a decent set with balanced stats, good damage and resist and nothing else? Is there even a place left for me in this game? The total nerf to hades set extremely upsets me My myth at 67 with junk wand and waterworks set has better critical and block than a lvl 93 fire in FULL hades gear and hades wand because why? hades set gives her a whopping 4% critical and 14%block, if thats in full hades what about those who are still in waterworks with less block? Or what about those who are in bazaar gear?Just how awful is it for them now? Then you say introduce block pierce to account for the poorly designed high block gear, so what in order to actually continue I must give up what little critical I have and lose a fair amount of damage and pip chance and mana just to survive? What will I need to give up next? When will there ever be a time where the balanced set up is the best option? If this is truly the way this game is heading where only extreme values will be of any benefit then I am out of here and I am sure I am not the only one who feels like this.
There are balanced sets available still. I can point you to some in this thread here: Balanced Sets(Note that the block stats are even higher after this most recent update). Here is some balanced stats without DM gear: Balanced Sets.

That being said the concept of sacrificing something to gain something else should not be foreign. It is in the game's design- Storm gets power at the cost of health, Ice gets health at the cost of damage etc.

Survivor
Jul 28, 2014
2
yea this system was neccessay with storms getting over 800 crit but I think they could have done the proportions better

Survivor
Oct 01, 2014
41
nora7513 on Dec 7, 2015 wrote:
yea this system was neccessay with storms getting over 800 crit but I think they could have done the proportions better
They can get more then 800 now, I've seen over 1,000. But they don't even have to get that high to critical every single cast. Some place around 725.

Defender
Jul 16, 2014
183
I'm level 110 fire. With this latest update i can get my crit back to 100 but in doing so now my other stats are trash. If I do 100% crit then my power pip chance drops to like 71% and my shadow pup drops to like 4% and my block well best I can get it is 13%. I also do not get to use any of the cool spells like the new Morganthe or the Ares spell because of the deck and wand I have to use to achive that 100% crit. I can't use my may cast wand anymore now or I also sacrifice pip and acc etc. it's extremely hard to find a good balance now. My pre patch gear I had 102% crit with 51% resists, and 101% pip chance with 5% power pip chance, block I'm not sure about due to how it was calculated but i do know I blocked about 90% of Crits on me.(I do not pvp this is all pve). These were good stats for my fire but now trying to find something similar just makes my head hurt. I now lose acc, power pips, shadow pips, may cast wand, new spells or something else. Also most of my dark more gear now is still useless except the robe I believe. This new system even with the newest tweak is still turing me off of this game.

Survivor
Apr 01, 2012
7
Is this logarithmic? And if so, to what base? Thanks, and sorry if this has already been answered.

P.S: I block way to rarely now, it's so randomized that I think I'm winning and the battle turns around too quickly without any strategy and I eventually die, even if I'm playing much better.

Survivor
Jan 24, 2011
1
I have been playing wizard 101 since 2011, I spent four years getting my gear to be as balanced as it is I have 270 block 250 critical, 56 damage with, 72,78, and 42 universal resist with 6.1 k health good pip chance and solid healing stats with 10 percent pierce. Know I'm getting owned by minions, its annoying to quest which is what I mostly do in the game and the new critical and block system has ruined this game for me after four years of fun. Finally I had enough after a week of playing the game with the new update and I cancelled my subscription, four years of work and a lot of money down the drain. People dislike it so much there starting a petition online which already has about 500 signatures and counting, please fix this system its broken.

Delver
Dec 15, 2009
202
john ice on Dec 8, 2015 wrote:
I have been playing wizard 101 since 2011, I spent four years getting my gear to be as balanced as it is I have 270 block 250 critical, 56 damage with, 72,78, and 42 universal resist with 6.1 k health good pip chance and solid healing stats with 10 percent pierce. Know I'm getting owned by minions, its annoying to quest which is what I mostly do in the game and the new critical and block system has ruined this game for me after four years of fun. Finally I had enough after a week of playing the game with the new update and I cancelled my subscription, four years of work and a lot of money down the drain. People dislike it so much there starting a petition online which already has about 500 signatures and counting, please fix this system its broken.
The system is fixed. There is no more reason to complain. Lots of people got their critical raised up and most of the bosses critical rating were reduced by half. If you have to cancel your subscription over this, that's your fault.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
1025
For those claiming that their DM gear is now "worthless" and that at lvl 110 we are no longer as powerful. Both of those statements are demonstrably false. I created a thread over here detailing my perfect sets for PvP and PvE. The thread details every piece of gear and where it is from so you too can acquire the stated stats: Perfected Gear thread.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
1124
I've made my feelings known about the update and its effects so I won't go there again... but I find it kind of funny that a lot of folks that continue to complain about it seem to have wizards that are gaining levels. That speaks volumes about how "impossible" things are now... meaning, of course, that they're NOT! If you're at level 110 and still griping about how your stats are messed up then you need to get over it. Obviously the "broken" system hasn't prevented you from achieving the ultimate goal of the game which is to win.
The game takes more thought now. The enemies are a lot smarter and it's not necessarily going to go well to sit back and expect to slice through the enemies defenses like we used to. And the same goes for defense. Beefing up on resist is not as effective because of the bad guys' innate pierce. So I think when KI said their intent was to balance the game play I believe they've done just that. Personally, I've revised the structure on all of my decks to balance out offense and defense, and to be prepared to whittle down enemy defenses in a more calculating manner.
I said in the past that what KI has done to the system was "growing" on me and after playing around more with it over the last few weeks I think I actually like it. I know I'm in the minority but it ain't the first time.
I realize this doesn't address the multitude of people who've spent real money building their characters and perfecting their styles... I am among them but maybe to a lesser degree.
I guess it's adapt or die (or quit).

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
892
MalvinHawkRunner on Dec 8, 2015 wrote:
The system is fixed. There is no more reason to complain. Lots of people got their critical raised up and most of the bosses critical rating were reduced by half. If you have to cancel your subscription over this, that's your fault.
This is not about the system being broken, It is about how KI implemented a change, and did it very poorly. It's about the customers being taken for granted. It's also evident that many people don't really understand the issue (including you). Paying members have a right to complain about poor management of a game they support. Anyone who cancels their membership over this is simply because they understand the issue, while others who post like yourself, fail to understand the issue at all.

Explorer
Nov 17, 2013
93
MalvinHawkRunner on Dec 8, 2015 wrote:
The system is fixed. There is no more reason to complain. Lots of people got their critical raised up and most of the bosses critical rating were reduced by half. If you have to cancel your subscription over this, that's your fault.
System is fixed? What a joke.

Life can't critical heals anymore. Ice can't block anymore. Storm can't critical anymore.
KI didn't even make a public announcement to tell us about this new system before test realm came out. Even when test realm came out, so many people complained and they did absolutely nothing. We can't get decent stats anymore without sacrificing MANY things.

Survivor
Jan 12, 2011
37
MalvinHawkRunner on Dec 8, 2015 wrote:
The system is fixed. There is no more reason to complain. Lots of people got their critical raised up and most of the bosses critical rating were reduced by half. If you have to cancel your subscription over this, that's your fault.
It is in no way fixed

Defender
Nov 24, 2012
124
Eric Stormbringer on Dec 7, 2015 wrote:
There are balanced sets available still. I can point you to some in this thread here: Balanced Sets(Note that the block stats are even higher after this most recent update). Here is some balanced stats without DM gear: Balanced Sets.

That being said the concept of sacrificing something to gain something else should not be foreign. It is in the game's design- Storm gets power at the cost of health, Ice gets health at the cost of damage etc.
"There are balanced sets available still...Here is some balanced stats without DM gear..."

Because everyone is Storm and everyone naturally gets high critical from gear.

"That being said the concept of sacrificing something to gain something else should not be foreign. It is in the game's design- Storm gets power at the cost of health, Ice gets health at the cost of damage etc."

Allow me to correct you here, but you're actually talking about each schools' advantages and disadvantages. An example of sacrificing stats would be sacrificing +10% accuracy rate to gain 10% critical.

Survivor
Mar 25, 2014
19
eSnowFrost on Dec 8, 2015 wrote:
System is fixed? What a joke.

Life can't critical heals anymore. Ice can't block anymore. Storm can't critical anymore.
KI didn't even make a public announcement to tell us about this new system before test realm came out. Even when test realm came out, so many people complained and they did absolutely nothing. We can't get decent stats anymore without sacrificing MANY things.
This! It's even more sad when you farm for gold, I was digging through all my old gear trying boost up the crit. I've just about given up on blocking, it's to the point when it does happen I'm literally like this at my screen:

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
49
<<<<<Life can't critical heals anymore. Ice can't block anymore. Storm can't critical anymore.
KI didn't even make a public announcement to tell us about this new system before test realm came out. >>

I wonder if we are all playing the same game and world. My friend's life hit a critical heal last night 2 of 3 times each fight on the tuna ship, and my life (who rarely had a crit heal before) seems to be better than she ever was ! Storm, ok granted I am dragging my storm by a long leash, since she is my favorite, I don't want to rush. She is waiting at the bastille, but I Have crit and block too and seen others! My one fire? he is at the Yeti now, street fights I solo, small bosses I solo (get a salvus if necessary).If someone joins me I don't care. only dungeons of more than 2 rooms and fire bad guys will I seek company. Fire is using a seal pup my ice won earlier, it is epic, original, and a no healer and I wont give it up. I have just over 5k health now and plenty of nice stats, if I cant beat the bad guys too bad. This pet is too good- includes crit and pierce.

I do agree KI should have not just announced the critical system change without any real information as to how it works and also about the decay as we go higher.And keep it simple, we have many kids (all ages) playing. Very few of us are mathematicians or programmers. We are just people playing a game we have loved for many years.

So far the only prob we are having is the Rat, the guides and videos are from the test realm and there have been many changes it appears! after flying thru Polaris with ease this is a real slam the door in our faces. We will try again FRi to make it,when we can stay up later . This time I have more ready so we will field, death,storm,ice, and myth (she will tank-heal).

ok, I have work in the system now, so I better leave here.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
1025
Angel of Solitude on Dec 8, 2015 wrote:
"There are balanced sets available still...Here is some balanced stats without DM gear..."

Because everyone is Storm and everyone naturally gets high critical from gear.

"That being said the concept of sacrificing something to gain something else should not be foreign. It is in the game's design- Storm gets power at the cost of health, Ice gets health at the cost of damage etc."

Allow me to correct you here, but you're actually talking about each schools' advantages and disadvantages. An example of sacrificing stats would be sacrificing +10% accuracy rate to gain 10% critical.
Every school can acquire similarly balanced gear. Is it going to be as easy to acquire a storm's critical on other schools? No. Just as storm cannot easily acquire as much block as Ice. I can illustrate how to create balanced stats for each school if need be.