Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Changes to Critical Hit and Critical Block system

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 10, 2008
Well, at least Grey rose responded. That's at least something.

As for the blocking, a boss crit on me about 4 times in a row last night in Khrysalis and I didn't block one.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Wow, so many defeatist attitudes! If everyone quit every time a new "impossible" situation arose in this game it would have slipped into obscurity years ago. The "impossible" Tower of the Helephant, the "impossible" Jabberwock, the "impossible" Morganthe, The "impossible" Belloq... the list goes on and this forum is filled with threads about how all of those battles, and others, are unfair and will be the ruin of the game. I agree, this system upheaval is not a 100% good thing but I also think it's a system in flux. KI has said they appreciate the feedback which means they are listening... and I'm sure they'll continue to modify the mechanic. In the mean time, it's not the end of the world if you don't critical every time you hit. Maybe as primarily a Life player I'm just used to being relatively weak and vulnerable but so far it hasn't impeded my advancement. Up to level 104 and counting...
I'm confident the kinks will be worked out of this system, maybe not to the complete satisfaction of everyone (that's crazy talk) but with any luck things will settle back down into a semblance of normalcy.
I understand that most everyone has been impacted by this... some more than others simply by the amount of real money spent to improve their situations... and believe me, I sympathize. I've been affected too. But not to the point where I'm willing to give up this wonderful game out of spite. There are so many things to do while the creases are ironed out and with liberal use of the Team-Up function the "impossible" instances can be bested. I choose to wait it out and hope for the best. And if a change for the better doesn't come I intend to make the best of what we have.
Even with all of its drawbacks the most important aspect of a game is still there, at least in my opinion...
It's CHALLENGING and FUN, and that's what it's all about.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Damage from jewels is flat not a %. 62 damage from jewels adds 62 damage NOT 62%. As for bosses becoming increasingly more difficult, the bosses and mobs in Polaris are at the same level as Avalon bosses mostly.

Survivor
Nov 28, 2010
TucsonWizard on Nov 24, 2015 wrote:
Wow, so many defeatist attitudes! If everyone quit every time a new "impossible" situation arose in this game it would have slipped into obscurity years ago. The "impossible" Tower of the Helephant, the "impossible" Jabberwock, the "impossible" Morganthe, The "impossible" Belloq... the list goes on and this forum is filled with threads about how all of those battles, and others, are unfair and will be the ruin of the game. I agree, this system upheaval is not a 100% good thing but I also think it's a system in flux. KI has said they appreciate the feedback which means they are listening... and I'm sure they'll continue to modify the mechanic. In the mean time, it's not the end of the world if you don't critical every time you hit. Maybe as primarily a Life player I'm just used to being relatively weak and vulnerable but so far it hasn't impeded my advancement. Up to level 104 and counting...
I'm confident the kinks will be worked out of this system, maybe not to the complete satisfaction of everyone (that's crazy talk) but with any luck things will settle back down into a semblance of normalcy.
I understand that most everyone has been impacted by this... some more than others simply by the amount of real money spent to improve their situations... and believe me, I sympathize. I've been affected too. But not to the point where I'm willing to give up this wonderful game out of spite. There are so many things to do while the creases are ironed out and with liberal use of the Team-Up function the "impossible" instances can be bested. I choose to wait it out and hope for the best. And if a change for the better doesn't come I intend to make the best of what we have.
Even with all of its drawbacks the most important aspect of a game is still there, at least in my opinion...
Very well said. This is a change that people need to understand takes a while to perfect. So it's good to give our feedback to improve rather than just leave.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
You are missing the bigger point. Paying customers are being taking for granted. This has happened with alarming frequency over the history of the Spiral. The bigger argument in this instance, is not how this change adversely affects players, but how it was done. Crit/Block was setup weak from the very start, and instead of tweaking and fine-tuning it as we went along, we were presented it "as is" and had to make due. Many people invested lots of time, and real money into this system, and now they are being told essentially "tough luck". You do not change the rules so drastically, so far into the game, and not expect a riot on your hands. One thing I have said time and again is that "Customer loyalty is not absolute". If you do not treat your customers with respect, they will go elsewhere, and sadly that is what is happening. This is a wonderful game, but it has been marred with many examples of poor administrative decisions over the years, and this latest fiasco is simply the proverbial "straw" for many. I have already canceled my subscription, as have some of my friends. More will follow unless customer needs are addressed more appropriately. I hope they listen, as this game still has so much potential, but I at least cannot support it, unless serious changes are made.

Survivor
Apr 06, 2015
I understand where you are coming from, but it's kind of hard to compare bosses with something you have to deal with throughout the rest of the game. Personally I don't care if I critical in a battle, all I want to do is block, and it's very difficult to block with these new mechanics and the RNG based system. I liked the old system more than this one, but I can move on from it with a system that actually works well. Like I said before, it shouldn't be random, I like how the old system depended on if you had high critical, you would critical, and if you had high block, you would block. I just hope this new system balances itself out soon, because I literally can't continue Khrysalis Part 2 unless I want to die a bunch. Thanks for reading!

Kenneth FireBlade (Level 101)

Survivor
Jun 26, 2014
The system for critical makes PvE way too difficult! It seems that they critical just as much as before the update on critical, only difference is, that I can't block the criticals anymore. Pre-update, I had 55 block, afterwards, I have 84 and my critical block has halved. Now conviction is useless, the block was nerfed to 25, so now it's close to impossible to block but entity's critical is still just as lively. I would be fine with this update if block was highered, cuz I can't block anything and it leaves me dead on the second round of PvE duels.
~James Hawkstaff Lvl 86

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Intrepidatius on Nov 24, 2015 wrote:
You are missing the bigger point. Paying customers are being taking for granted. This has happened with alarming frequency over the history of the Spiral. The bigger argument in this instance, is not how this change adversely affects players, but how it was done. Crit/Block was setup weak from the very start, and instead of tweaking and fine-tuning it as we went along, we were presented it "as is" and had to make due. Many people invested lots of time, and real money into this system, and now they are being told essentially "tough luck". You do not change the rules so drastically, so far into the game, and not expect a riot on your hands. One thing I have said time and again is that "Customer loyalty is not absolute". If you do not treat your customers with respect, they will go elsewhere, and sadly that is what is happening. This is a wonderful game, but it has been marred with many examples of poor administrative decisions over the years, and this latest fiasco is simply the proverbial "straw" for many. I have already canceled my subscription, as have some of my friends. More will follow unless customer needs are addressed more appropriately. I hope they listen, as this game still has so much potential, but I at least cannot support it, unless serious changes are made.
I didn't miss the bigger point, I addressed it in my comment. I agree that perhaps the method in which the change was made was not the most equitable way to go about it but I'm just saying that from my perspective it's not a game breaker. It's unfortunate that so many people will, it would appear, simply give up on it because of this. I choose to not give up. I refuse to dwell on the negative and will continue to play... and if I have to modify my tactics to exist within the new system, I will do that. As I said before, the game is still fun to me. When the time ever comes that it's no longer fun to play, THEN I will consider giving up on it but as long as I still look forward to playing I will continue to play.
Let me reiterate... these are opinions offered from my perspective and as such are not arguable. It's understandable that many don't feel the same as I do. That is your prerogative and of course you're free to take whatever action you deem necessary to prove your point. All I urge is that you don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Intrepidatius on Nov 24, 2015 wrote:
my sentiments exactly; i adore this game, but kingsisle's habit of not listening to their players is going to hurt them in the end.

if this isn't fixed, i'll likely follow in the path of many others on this board and cancel my subscriptions on both accounts. this is my first mmorpg; i've played for 5 years, and have stuck around through many updates i couldn't stand, because i cared about the community and trusted that kingsisle wouldn't leave its veteran players/paying customers behind.

yes, it's a beautiful world; there's no denying that polaris is artistically stunning and the story captivating. but it's unlikely that i will be questing in it. as a veteran player and paying customer, i can't help but feel that, perhaps, my faith in kingsisle was misplaced.

-von

Explorer
Aug 01, 2013
I will be honest, I vote for the old system back this new system is way horrible please fix it back to the old system it was way better left alone like that.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
I didn't miss the bigger point, I addressed it in my comment. I agree that perhaps the method in which the change was made was not the most equitable way to go about it but I'm just saying that from my perspective it's not a game breaker. It's unfortunate that so many people will, it would appear, simply give up on it because of this. I choose to not give up. I refuse to dwell on the negative and will continue to play... and if I have to modify my tactics to exist within the new system, I will do that. As I said before, the game is still fun to me. When the time ever comes that it's no longer fun to play, THEN I will consider giving up on it but as long as I still look forward to playing I will continue to play.
Let me reiterate... these are opinions offered from my perspective and as such are not arguable. It's understandable that many don't feel the same as I do. That is your prerogative and of course you're free to take whatever action you deem necessary to prove your point. All I urge is that you don't cut off your nose to spite your face.
I am still not sure if you understand the point. This is not about how KI made a poor decision in their making a change to game dynamics. This about years of patterned behavior in which the customers needs seem to take a backseat to other matters. This is about a host of issues over the years which have never been addressed, or addressed weakly. This one instance I don't think is a game breaker for anyone, but it is the proverbial "straw" for many though, as with myself. I don't know what your breaking point is, but mine, and many others have been exceeded. I do wish you and KI well. I hope they listen, and you don't reach your "straw" point.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
Well, I wish the Wizard101 community the best. I hope KI can make a make the changes necessary to keep the game healthy and players happy. Till such time arrives time for me to end my account.

Good luck all.

Survivor
May 27, 2013
I want this to be very clear. When I say I want my critical and block back, and that I don't think lower levels should have more critical than we do: that doesn't mean you should strip their stats like you did to us. It means that we should massive critical and block percentages. If you want to alter something give the bosses more health or higher block. You don't take away something that people worked hard for. I am not alone! I see several complaints besides my own. And people that say the new system is fine don't know what they are talking about please don't listen to them. I can't even block halfang in vestrilund half the time and I am level 110. I don't think i should have to sacrifice all my other stats for decent critical. And I also think that at max level I should be able to attain nearly 100% why I shouldn't I? We are the highest players in the game please tell me what is our reward? And you can't say more powerful spells when we can't even blade half the time. can only spam shields and pray criticals don't eat us alive. Please fix this problem as soon as yesterday.

Explorer
Sep 02, 2012
just have to ask what is going on with the block and critical now? none of it works. after all the time spent farming for gear and snacks to train pets, training pets failing at training pets. all for nothing. I don't have enough block for mirror lake? at max lvl? I just don't get it. Why? did somones feelings get hurt cause they cant pvp with whatever gear they have? I mean I don't pvp, but I can't think of anyother reason why they would try to(level the playing field)? really disappointed. just really!

Historian
Nov 28, 2010

The key point here is "your opinion". The important aspects of this game to me were fun and family-friendly.

This game no longer offers either of those to me. They've taken families right out of it, and that's primarily the people I used to quest with. People like me who were playing the game with our kids.

Now our kids don't play. They're not master strategists. They make mistakes. And in the worlds past Zafaria, if you make a mistake, you're stupid and everybody hates you. Children have fragile enough self esteem as it is without thinking people hate them for not being perfect in a game... a GAME.

Wizard101 is no longer a game for children, and as such it is no longer a game for families, so KI should not be surprised that families are going to slowly disappear from their customer base.

If you love strong challenges, then fantastic! You're who they're building the game for. I wish you the best of luck. I hope those of you who remain will be able to financially support KI enough to continue to build the game you want.

Survivor
Mar 25, 2014
I remembering thinking after finishing the last world and Darkmoor that the new world was going to be really hard, which was to be expected. So I in turn, like others I know, hammered down and farmed and trained pets relentlessly. I'm talking about a lot of hard work that wasn't accomplished all in one sitting. A lot of money spent on memberships, crown sales at a hope to better our wizards and we did. Then enter this update and really the shock is still on our faces. Had I known that working on critical and more importantly for my Jade, block was going to become just a joke I wouldn't have bothered in spending money on crowns in the first place. I'm not about to spend more money to get back half of what I already had before this change was made.

I vote for the old system to be put back. This new one needs to be seriously adjusted. I get you want to balance stuff out but really whoever thought of this should have thought it through and for it to be rushed on LIVE just burns me even more. This is something that should of had it's own test realm release and not glossed over with Polaris.

Survivor
Apr 07, 2014
Professor Greyrose on Nov 23, 2015 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Thank you for your continued feedback. As Cyrus said, we are looking for areas to improve the system and do understand and appreciate everyone's concerns in this matter.
I purchased specific items from the crown shop to build my wizard. Then KI changes the functions on what I purchased. I wonder how that plays in to things. By your formula I would need 500 critical for 45% actual crit.

Defender
Nov 24, 2012
First off, this "defeatist attitudes" you are talking about are called the voices of paying players.

It is obvious as to why this update did not affect you as much as it did to other players; players who farmed many times to get the critical and block they wanted only to be nerf later on. You even took the time to call yourself a "weak and vulnerable Life Wizard." Sounds like you did not spend much time farming for gear like many of the "defeatist attitudes" did, huh?

I'm glad you are fine with the new system. I truly am--but there is no doubt that it needs to be improved. I mean, even you stated being affected by this update.

I understand why some people would like to leave the game now. What is the point of playing a game if you're not having fun?

Survivor
Aug 08, 2014
so this means all the money I spent building my character is all for not? makes me not want to not put money on the game to build it up anymore. guess i can give this account to my son so he can play. he won't need crowns.

Survivor
Jun 17, 2014
I think the whole crit system should be scrapped. it is useless and frustrating and makes the game less enjoyable.

Survivor
Mar 26, 2009
Professor Greyrose on Nov 23, 2015 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Thank you for your continued feedback. As Cyrus said, we are looking for areas to improve the system and do understand and appreciate everyone's concerns in this matter.
Will Cyrus be updating us all once this is resolved? I like others have left the game in disgust, however I have left great friends behind as well. I would come back to play with them, if playing this game was enjoyable again. I can not in good faith continue to throw money at a game, where progress, time, and effort mean nothing.

Administrator
camclay116 on Nov 25, 2015 wrote:
Will Cyrus be updating us all once this is resolved? I like others have left the game in disgust, however I have left great friends behind as well. I would come back to play with them, if playing this game was enjoyable again. I can not in good faith continue to throw money at a game, where progress, time, and effort mean nothing.
Any changes will be noted in the game update notes.

Thanks for your continued patience as we evaluate the situation and work toward adjustments.

community@wizard101.com
Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
First off, thanks(?) to all who insisted on arguing the validity of my opinion. Most of you have opinions that differ from mine and that's fine. This forum is all about good healthy discussion so it is doing its job.
Many think that KI is turning a deaf ear to the issues being brought up here. I don't. I'm definitely not trying to be their apologist but I do think they listen. I won't go into a long detailed list of issues that have been addressed throughout the growth of this game, everyone who's played for a while knows that they pay attention and make adjustments. A company with the ultimate goal of making money does not purposely alienate its core customer base. Unfortunately with a million members come a million differing opinions as to how things should work.
At the end of the day this is a game. Entertainment. A pastime offered up to those who wish to partake. If it's no longer fun for you then, by all means, adios, sayonara, ciao, auf wiedersehen, catch you on the flip side. Sorry to see any of you go but if you feel strongly enough about this issue, or any issue for that matter, then there's obviously no reason to stick around. I choose the glass half full approach and intend to keep playing. There is so much that's good in the game I'm not going to let something like this spoil it for me.
When it's no longer fun I'll walk away but until then, I'm in.

A specific retort to Angel of Solitude:
-I am also a paying player and this is my voice. I referenced my statements as being from the viewpoint of a "weak and vulnerable" Life wizard. But I also have Fire, Death, Myth and Balance wizards who have relied heavily on critical hit and block. Obviously they've been negatively affected in different ways by this update. And yes, I've farmed for gear for ALL of these wizards... I'd wager to say as much as if not more than most. I'm no happier about the recent changes than anyone else is but it still doesn't have me running for the hills.

Survivor
Aug 17, 2012
The changes to Critical and Block were a needed change. Having three wizards at the top level, I like the new critical system more than the old one. However, there has been an oversight. The problem with this update, and probably where all the negative feedback is coming from, is that the gear in the 50-100 ranges don't have upgraded Block amounts to reflect the new formula.

The fix for this is simply to add more Block to the gear that was available before the update, or lower the required Block to attain a higher Block chance. Doing so will make the new Critical and Block system reflect the old one as far as how often a critical would go through.

Survivor
Dec 30, 2010
I have something to say about the new system, and I think it should be heard.

Honestly, I am appalled at it. I understand KingsIsle wants the game to be more challenging for us, and I accept that. I enjoy a challenge. But however, I've noticed Darkmoor is not possible now.

My storm first off when Darkmoor was released had no block whatsoever. I was dying a lot in there and that's because I had no gear. After I got all my Darkmoor gear, terror hoard pack wand, etc. I ended up maintaining a 85% critical, to 70% block ratio. Now, in Darkmoor you need conviction if you have below 70%. I feel like it's true. After I started using conviction in Darkmoor when I had no block on my storm, I'd block everything. Now my storm is sitting at 37% critical, with 40% block. (Only because I now use the darkmoor hood rather than the hood of desert rains.) But this is besides the point. Why am I complaining about Darkmoor and tying it with this example.

My myth recently hit 100, almost a month ago actually. And ever since the update. I have 27% critical and block on a exalted Myth. That shouldn't. No. How is Darkmoor even doable at this point? KingsIsle, you nerfed conviction which was the most reliable critical block spell in the game. It was at 90% block, and then you took it down to 20%? And not only this, but how are jades supposed to be defensive now when they can be hit with a critical? I understand you want the game to be more challenging. And I love a challenge. But I'd rather Polaris have minions with a lot of health, and can block my storm a lot than have no chance of even blocking Rasputin. I strongly feel like a change needs to happen. And I'm not the only one who agrees. My friend Dakota Storm, level 82. He only has 13% block and is in Azteca. A storm with that much block in Azteca is doomed. Please listen KI, and change this.. It's made the game unenjoyable.