Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Bosses saying disturbing things

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 09, 2010
Well, As we get deeper into the story-line, Wizard101 makes things more serious, and with that, must come maturity from the players. Some things might seem a little disturbing, but I see NO reason why Kingsisle should get rid of them. It doesn't say, "Hey, your playing a game!" It tells you that in the spiral, (Just like real life) there are some messed up things. And don't forget that the undead can be mindless sometimes, such as saying strange things, ya know?
Alongside this, if you find the contents of the characters/monsters queasy, than you can either A. turn off your sound, or B. skip the words by repeatedly clicking the next/done button until it finishes.
Hope that solved your little problem, and I wish you luck on your travels in the Spiral.

Blaze Stormmancer

Defender
Jan 02, 2011
lettup on Mar 24, 2014 wrote:
Well, As we get deeper into the story-line, Wizard101 makes things more serious, and with that, must come maturity from the players. Some things might seem a little disturbing, but I see NO reason why Kingsisle should get rid of them. It doesn't say, "Hey, your playing a game!" It tells you that in the spiral, (Just like real life) there are some messed up things. And don't forget that the undead can be mindless sometimes, such as saying strange things, ya know?
Alongside this, if you find the contents of the characters/monsters queasy, than you can either A. turn off your sound, or B. skip the words by repeatedly clicking the next/done button until it finishes.
Hope that solved your little problem, and I wish you luck on your travels in the Spiral.

Blaze Stormmancer
>Well, As we get deeper into the story-line, Wizard101 makes things more serious,

Great, but that doesn't excuse things.

The excuse all along is that this game is family friendly and that little kids - as young as 5 or 6 - play here and have to be protected.

And those same little kids that run around wizard city will also be, and are, running around the higher level worlds.

if they can't level themselves there - and a lot can - their parents level them up there (I've run into parents doing exactly that)

Serious or not, it has to be assumed that a small child is going to read, or have read to them, every single dialog box in the game. If it's not appropriate for unicorn way and wizard city, it's not appropriate anywhere.

If that's not going to be followed, then W101 has to advertise the fact that only mature players are allowed in the higher level worlds, and that the company takes no responsibility for underage players experiencing those worlds. And then code it so that characters on any account under a certain age (just like menu chat is coded) don't get to go to the higher level worlds.

Defender
Jul 27, 2011
It is natural for games to have enemies, therefore, it can be assumed that there are enemies that tease that they're going to eat their opponent, and so on. I can see why some people would think "the taste of your blood in my mouth" is disturbing, but on the other hand, I can also see why people are over looking it. To me, it is all in good fun. Then you get the sense of satisfaction for defeating the boss and not having your blood tasted.

Seth NightFlame95

Survivor
Jan 19, 2012
John RubySpear on Aug 2, 2013 wrote:
So you know how when you enter a boss-cave and you get a little chat sequence with the boss, which is usually some kinda threat? Allot of these little intros aren't very serious but some actually made me sick to the stomach, no joke, and I feel they may not be kid appropriate either.

There was this one boss in mangrove marsh or somewhere around that area, and what I heard was a bit disturbing. " I have an empty hole inside of me, why dont you come and let me try to fill it with your heart". It could just be me, but this does not sound ok, at least that's what I think.

Another chat intro I though was bad was when in you fight some guy in Tierra de brea, named "Bad Taste", he tells about this so called "bad taste". He then says something along the lines of " I've got a bad taste in my mouth, why don't I try washing it out with your blood" I am very serious and this is not a joke, I found this to be just plain morbid and sickening, that's just my opinion though...

I don't aim to offend those who designed the game, I just though this should be rebooked. Thanks.

John RubySpear PvP Captain (A1)
k so first off I am not trying to come off as cross but some of you people are completely overreacting.Yes this game is indeed stated to be a QUOTE ON QUOTE Kids game but it does say 10+.As adults you must personally regulate what your kids see now Admitively there are a few creepy pieces of dialoge thoughout the game commonly though boss fights but in all honesty even shrek the game yes that really old game you have probly never even played there are scary and Creepy sences in it.So yes while it is important we shelter our children from violence in todays socity our children have seen a great deal of violences foul language and Other dispicable things by the age of 10 wether it be from real life or moves or something there older friends showed them it is not healthy to completely shut our children out of reality just because of OUR need to protect them.If you keep the world from them when its there turn to finally experence it for themselfs it will hit them like a brick wall to the face.

Survivor
Sep 22, 2013
So you know how when you enter a boss-cave and you get a little chat sequence with the boss, which is usually some kinda threat? Allot of these little intros aren't very serious but some actually made me sick to the stomach, no joke, and I feel they may not be kid appropriate either.

There was this one boss in mangrove marsh or somewhere around that area, and what I heard was a bit disturbing. " I have an empty hole inside of me, why dont you come and let me try to fill it with your heart". It could just be me, but this does not sound ok, at least that's what I think.

Another chat intro I though was bad was when in you fight some guy in Tierra de brea, named "Bad Taste", he tells about this so called "bad taste". He then says something along the lines of " I've got a bad taste in my mouth, why don't I try washing it out with your blood" I am very serious and this is not a joke, I found this to be just plain morbid and sickening, that's just my opinion though...

I don't aim to offend those who designed the game, I just though this should be rebooked. Thanks.

I would agree why could they do this parents could see it and the child might behave wildly with those words then they could get punished very bad so please find something like
"battle me wizard if you lose you don't get mirror if you win you keep it"

Survivor
Feb 24, 2014
three words... Hansel and Gretel... :)

Explorer
May 17, 2009
Ok I'm sorry but some of you are being waaaay over sensative and hypocritical. I mean you are complaining that some of the boss's say creepy things and you don't like that type violence for your kids yet it is completely ok for you to let them kill creatures left and right in the game and steal whatever gold etc. those creatures have. You are essentially saying "oh that type of violence is ok but this type is wrong". Basically if you don't like the game then just don't play it

Explorer
Jan 27, 2011
tanda1 on Mar 24, 2014 wrote:
>Well, As we get deeper into the story-line, Wizard101 makes things more serious,

Great, but that doesn't excuse things.

The excuse all along is that this game is family friendly and that little kids - as young as 5 or 6 - play here and have to be protected.

And those same little kids that run around wizard city will also be, and are, running around the higher level worlds.

if they can't level themselves there - and a lot can - their parents level them up there (I've run into parents doing exactly that)

Serious or not, it has to be assumed that a small child is going to read, or have read to them, every single dialog box in the game. If it's not appropriate for unicorn way and wizard city, it's not appropriate anywhere.

If that's not going to be followed, then W101 has to advertise the fact that only mature players are allowed in the higher level worlds, and that the company takes no responsibility for underage players experiencing those worlds. And then code it so that characters on any account under a certain age (just like menu chat is coded) don't get to go to the higher level worlds.
I would like to point out that the RATING of this game is 10+, and you stating there is 5-6 year olds is clearly not KI's problem. If you're not going to HEED THE RATINGS then there's no excuse to complain. I would also like to point out that during my travels up to Azteca I have RARELY seen a kid player with Menu Chat.

Rated E10+ (for ages 10 and up)
Crude Humor
Mild Fantasy Violence

R.I.P.
Morgrim, Lvl. 91

Defender
May 01, 2011
This really wouldn't be a bug, since it is something they were programmed to say. I have to agree on both sides, the more your progress through worlds the more darker the villains are. I recently faced a boss that said, "Let me lick your ears!" to be honest, I thought it was gross and funny at the same time. Wizard101 did say it contained crude humor.

Survivor
Mar 01, 2012
Yeah, I don't even know why or how they even come up with those things for the bosses to say.
I honestly don't know what the people were thinking when they made that part of it.
I know it was to try to motivate the kids/adults who play it, but those sayings were just weird. To me.
It's never happened to me, but I'm pretty sure that it's a little odd to experience that.

Add us if you ever see us running around!

Alyssa Jade Rylee MythBreezeBrooke

Survivor
Jul 08, 2013
i'm gonna have to agree lady black lope and foul gaze were kinda creepy and lord night shade to

Justin moon runner ace wizard see you in dragon sphere!

Survivor
Jan 05, 2011
BrynnerOfReign on Aug 10, 2013 wrote:
It's still labeled as a "family friendly" game. There are still a lot of younger players who make it to and through Azteca, either on their own or with family members.

If you are meaning more adult-type games that W101 is becoming similar to, then this shouldn't be the case. W101 is a unique game that separates itself from others by being family friendly and attracts players of all ages. The content should also follow the family friendly concept.
My 6 year old cousin made it to azteca with me and i had to make him close his eyes for some of these bosses. What they say can give people nightmares l strongly think that this needs to be reworded

-death brings hope of a new life

Nicholas level 95

Survivor
Sep 23, 2011
I don't think kids would understand what it means so ki is fine.

Survivor
Feb 02, 2010
I agree, and I think they should configure the dialogue so it is more kid-friendly, I would not want to have the volume on full, then listen to that. - Tara PearlGem

Survivor
Oct 30, 2011
I have mixed responses...
I love Kingsisle's Wizard101, and I don't mind these things much.
[As many users have already stated] This game is for 10+, Crude Humor, and Mild Fantasy Violence.
10 and up. It is family-friendly, yes, but for children(or adults) aged 10 or older. Crudehumor.

I personally look to that as you say these things, but as well..., I feel as if you are correct.
"Blood splattered"?
Kingsisle, you may have been aiming for a mature audience, but remember people are sensitive.
I know that some players think we're overreacting, I am not an adult - but not a young kid to fret over "dangit". I am not a very sensitive person, but some are.
[Someone put the Commons are frightening. They are. People wandering "i need a girl/boy". Saying bad things but in a spread-out fashion. Ay.]
-
Complexing
Level 34, Magus Diviner, Alexander D. with Heckhound Gizmo
Say "hello!" if you see us.

Delver
Jan 21, 2014
BELGRIM 101 on Nov 5, 2013 wrote:
There is a boss in Zafaria, the Black Palace I think. This Boss says: "Feeling better, let me show you my stuff" O.o no thank you lol
oh so you are they guy that was going crazy about a guy wearing pink or a girl weraing brown is now loling at this! ahahahahahahah YOU ARE SICK, how can you be so frivolous on this!yes i know overreacting but realing first the world was gonna end because a guy wears pink and know you lol at a boss, wow

Survivor
Oct 12, 2013
i agree. Sometimes it can be a bit frightening for younger children and sometimes i get a little creeped out!
Isaac Silversword
Lvl 39

Survivor
Dec 14, 2013
"Let me lick your ears and see how your taste"Avalon...

Survivor
Sep 05, 2013
I guess I'm just having trouble understanding the whole mindset behind a lot of the posts on this topic. Sane people wouldn't take a toddler to a movie rated PG or higher and then complain that is wasn't age appropriate for the child. They also wouldn't complain the author of a middle school textbook that it wasn't appropriate for their kindergartener. They definitely wouldn't expect the author of a book for tweens to re-write it to make it appropriate for first graders. So why on earth are people on here complaining that this game rated 10+ isn't appropriate for children younger than that? It makes no sense, whatsoever. If there's debate over what's appropriate for ten year olds, that's another matter, but to complain about what kids younger than ten are or might be exposed to shows a lack of reading comprehension (of the game rating)and/or parental supervision that is more frightening than anything said in the game.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Keller Darkpyre on May 1, 2014 wrote:
I guess I'm just having trouble understanding the whole mindset behind a lot of the posts on this topic. Sane people wouldn't take a toddler to a movie rated PG or higher and then complain that is wasn't age appropriate for the child. They also wouldn't complain the author of a middle school textbook that it wasn't appropriate for their kindergartener. They definitely wouldn't expect the author of a book for tweens to re-write it to make it appropriate for first graders. So why on earth are people on here complaining that this game rated 10+ isn't appropriate for children younger than that? It makes no sense, whatsoever. If there's debate over what's appropriate for ten year olds, that's another matter, but to complain about what kids younger than ten are or might be exposed to shows a lack of reading comprehension (of the game rating)and/or parental supervision that is more frightening than anything said in the game.
Finally a post in this thread with a shread of logic and common sense. This has bothered me for a long time. When you let a 6 year old play a game that is rated 10+ don't complain that it wasn't appropriate for 6 year olds. It wasn't appropriate for YOU to ignore the warning as an adult and ALLOW the 6 year old to play a game that was too mature for them in the first place. You are the Parent, not KingsIsle.

Explorer
Apr 21, 2012
Wow, just wow.

This is something that honestly I would never have thought about. I know that the atmosphere of the game has changes from lighter worlds to darker worlds, which makes sense. Honestly, my son pulls things he finds off of the internet far more disturbing than what I have seen here. There may be many take up arms against me here, but fact is, the story does reflect reality. Like life, it has a light side and a dark side. Myself? I would far sooner have my son prepared for when he is confronted by something dark. That way he is not disturbed about it. Age is a major factor as well. If you have a child so young that something here disturbs them, chances are they are a little young for a web browser.

Giving bosses different phrases, to keep it in good taste? Not a bad idea, I like that. Covering the child's eyes during any part of it is a dead giveaway sign the child is either too young, or too sheltered. Don't let them watch the news.

Survivor
Aug 23, 2011

I remember that boss I don't remember my reaction but i was prob like this. Because i think the weirdest things are funny for some reason.
Kane

Survivor
Aug 23, 2011
StormStrong101 on Nov 14, 2013 wrote:
Wait a second...........

Are all the bosses in Azteca like that? And there is a new world coming around Thanksgiving and I need to get through Azteca to get there.
Yeah pretty much.....
Kane

Survivor
Aug 23, 2011
Alura BH on Aug 9, 2013 wrote:
Also, in Tartarus, the Floating Dog heads 0-0. That is so disturbing.
I know what you mean but if you are a farmer you get pretty used to it

Survivor
Aug 23, 2011
katlover283 on Aug 11, 2013 wrote:
i have no idea why someone would do that. i agree change the chat
I don't understand why this is disturbing to everyone, I am still a kid, and I find most dialogues funny, although some do slightly creep me out, I won't let these dialogues get in the way of me playing this game