Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The brilliant "easter eggs" in Wizard101

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 03, 2010
Khrysalis as a reference to the Hundreds' Year War between France and Britain?

You = Joan of Arc (Random peasant that came from no where sent by God to save France)
Bastion = Orleans (Major City of France under heavy siege from the English to be saved by Joan)

I am really into history and just randomly thought of that. I would love to hear other peoples thoughts on it. :D

Defender
Jul 10, 2009
Devin Boomsmith on Aug 1, 2014 wrote:
Khrysalis as a reference to the Hundreds' Year War between France and Britain?

You = Joan of Arc (Random peasant that came from no where sent by God to save France)
Bastion = Orleans (Major City of France under heavy siege from the English to be saved by Joan)

I am really into history and just randomly thought of that. I would love to hear other peoples thoughts on it. :D
I don't really know that much about the Hundreds' Year War (except that didn't it last 107 years?). Your theory sound solid, though.

On a completely unrelated note (and I'm not entirely sure this is an easter egg) the text at the bottom of the Discarded Newspaper housing item says, "Wanted for being a bad cat and stealing stuff"

Haley MoonHeart, Promethan Thaumagture

Survivor
Jan 02, 2010
There were many ones i found as well, some of the quests name would be a giveaway, how about the decks for pvp that you buy with tickets, Devil may care? Devil may cry? Did you know you can name your self luke Skywalker, Patrick star, Taylor swift. So many XD

Defender
Dec 12, 2012
There is a boss called the Ice Angler and his dialoge is funny and familiar:

"Wizard, the wind is howlin' like this swirlin' storm inside. I can't keep it in, the Spiral knows I tried. I don care what you're gonna say. Imma let the storm rage on. The cold never bothered me anyway."

"Y'know, it's funny how some distance makes everythin' seem small. This Ice Lens? Yeah, I'm just gonna let it go."

Doesn't that sound similair to a song we all know and love/hate?

Explorer
Oct 07, 2010
Krokonomicon is a reference to the Necronomicon

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
Hello everyone,
Given my location, I'll point out some known and some lesser known references in Marleybone.
"Marleybone" is Marylebone.
"Wolfminister Abbey" is Westminster Abbey.
"Kensington Park" references to the numerous places in London called "Kensington" (at least in the Underground).
"Regent's Square" is Regent's Park (which is actually on the same line as Marylebone in the Underground).
Even though I can't back this up fully, I think there is a "Barker's Street" in Regent's Square, which references to Baker's Street, the stop right in between Marylebone and Regent's Park.
"Hyde Park" is Hyde Park Corner.
The "Royal Museum" is obviously The British Museum.
"Barkingham Palace" is, again obviously, Buckingham Palace.
"Newgate Prison" was an actual prison.
Hope you had fun reading all of this~

~Shannon Skybreaker

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
Dr Von wrote:
Thanks for confirming that- I thought about it, but also figured I might be reading too much into it. :P

I also just found this one: There's a rabbit in Wysteria called Captain O'Hare- this is, I think, a reference to Bucky O'Hare, the character from the cartoon/comic book franchise that was big in the late 70s and early 80s. The kids probably won't notice, but I bet some of the older players will. :)

PS: The Krok place was my favourite- I loved all of the references, especially Krokopatra, Krokhotep, and the Krokonomicon. I may also be slightly biased, as I am a Balance wiz and that's where my school is, but don't mind me. :P

Update: Just discovered that the stablemaster in Wysteria is a rabbit called Lapin Wingtamer. If you're like me, you'll probably notice that "lapin" is the French word for rabbit- this is, to me, a true gem that most people won't catch onto. After all, how many people in the U.S., where the site is based, speak French? Keep 'em coming, KI!

Laura Shadowsong,
Master of Balance
Hello again,
Although I generally hate posting two posts, I shall. You spoke of French being incorporated. I speak German, so I notice some of those references.
Most people understand the "Katzenstein" reference to "Frankenstein", but to go more in depth, "die Katze" means "the cat" in German. "die Katzen" means "the cats". So, his name itself is not only a reference, but a pun on a German word.
This may be a lesser known one here, but most of us have heard about the spell Krampus, right? "Krampus" is a mythological being in the German-speaking world. On 6 December, Germans celebrate Saint Nicholas Day (Sankt Nikolaus. And let us not get confused, this is NOT Christmas (Weihnachten)). The story goes that on the night of 5 December, St. Nicholas will fill up good children's boots (which are left on the front door, and called "Nikolaus-Stiefel") with candy and other presents. But St. Nicholas doesn't work alone. He brings along multiple beasts which are called "Krampus" (there are other names for this beast, considering on which country you go to. Austrians commonly say "Klaubauf" and the Swiss say "Schmutzli"). So, while St. Nicholas is responsible for all the good children, the Krampus is responsible for all the bad ones, carrying coal and sticks. The sticks are used to beat the bad children with. And now you know, why your spell Krampus has the design and attack that he does have~!
It is a brilliant design on KingsIsle's part, and has become one of my favourite spells.

~Shannon Skybreaker

Survivor
Aug 14, 2012
jadestaff108 on Feb 2, 2014 wrote:
mooshu is china
no mooshu is japan

Survivor
Aug 03, 2014
In wysteria I believe it looks like San Francisco back in the day. Also one of the guards is named Harvey like the play

Survivor
Aug 22, 2009
This seems minor compared to some of the awesome revelations I've had in this thread, but the NPC in Northguard, Grizzleheim named Bjorn Ironclaws is a reference to the Hobbit. In the book, Bilbo and the dwarves met a man named Beorn that could turn into a bear using magic.

Survivor
Jul 02, 2012
Oran of Urz on May 14, 2011 wrote:
The Troggs that Zeke asks you to find in Wintertusk is a continuation of his theme of finding things named after real life bands. Like the The Beetles in Krokotopia and the Blue Oyster Cult in Mooshu.
I think our next collection should be for sticks (styxx) ha ha ha

Survivor
Jul 23, 2013
I personally love it.I think that its funny that they put many different things in one game,T
thats why its unique

Delver
Apr 16, 2014
In Khrysalis a Boss said to me "Despite all my rage I'm just a rat in a cage" Lyrics from a Smashing Pumpkins song. Got a kick out of that.

Scarlet ShadowStone Level 96 Scarlet SwiftRiver Level 24

Explorer
Apr 26, 2010
The Hannibal Onetusk "Great kid don't get cocky" Han Solo reference is classic. Also Hannibal Onetusk being modeled after Han Solo is pretty cool.

Survivor
Aug 11, 2009
charles ghostbring... on Aug 17, 2014 wrote:
In wysteria I believe it looks like San Francisco back in the day. Also one of the guards is named Harvey like the play
Which part of old SF looks like Wysteria to you? Are you thinking of our famous Lombard Street?

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
charles ghostbring... on Aug 17, 2014 wrote:
Wow, I never though of that, but it does! The buildings and the hills and the quality of light are very much like SF. You just brought a smile to my face, from someone who used to live out in Northern California many years ago!

Survivor
Oct 23, 2012
----------------------------------------READ THIS :D -------------------------------
I really don't expect you to read all of this, but here you go, everything I know (or can remember) that you consider "in-game easter eggs".
1- Spells, many of them are based over Egyptian/Greek Mythology gods and creatures, I'll list a few examples: Triton, which is obviously poseidon, Storm Lord, which is Zeus, you got both Basilisk and Medusa which are mythical creatues, which in the legends actually paralise when looking at you, pretty sure that's why they stun you in game. Ra, which is based on the Egyptian sun god, Seth. There are many others which I'm just too tired to remember lol.
2- The worlds and what they are based off: Wizard City-Simply Earth, but wizardish. Krokotopia-Ancient Egypt. Grizzleheim-Based on the Nordic mythology, Asgard! I love how you see the rainbow bridge, and how the main area is called Northguard, which in mythology they called Earth as Southguard, you can also tell by the barbaric type of characters you see in Grizzle. Marleybone-London. Mooshu-Japan. Atlantea/Dragonspyre-both have roman/greek based myths and facts. Avalon is obviously the mythological AVALON from the King Arthur legends, who was Morgan Le Fay's brother.
3- I agree with every little detail you guys posted, for I realized them too.

Survivor
Mar 28, 2010
Ok Nosferabbit is deprived from Nosferatu or vampire

King Thermidore is named after the dish used to eat lobster

Erica Angelshard
The flame of the Earth guides you thru your journey

Survivor
Mar 28, 2010
LarrythePirate on Aug 22, 2012 wrote:
Monty Python and the holy grail reference: In Avalon the gardening guy's name is Roger the Shrubber, and in the scene "The knights who say ni" that is the name of the shubber!
The mount: Caebonnage (I can't spell it) Hare or the Killer Rabbit of Caebonnage is a Monty Python reference also.

Survivor
Jan 03, 2013
CdeWinter on May 13, 2011 wrote:
Here's a couple more,
In Crab Alley, King Thermidor has an adivsor named Thomas Cromshell, the real King Henry VIII who was known for secretly composing and playing songs (he supposedly composed the tune for Greensleeves) had an advisor named Sir Thomas Cromwell.

The bear Baldr Goldpaws, the trader from grizzleheim is named after the norse god of trade, Baldr.
you know about norse mythology, that is why i like grizzleheim and some easter egg would be grizzleheim is sorta based of norse mythology because ravens were odin's pet or his visions, the frost giant for the lvel 48 ice quest is named ymir in which norse mythology ymir the frost giant. Even though i don't think most people pay attention to it because people say norse mythology isn't really importan (everyone who says that should deal with the goddess hel)

Survivor
Sep 23, 2014
So my favorite, being an architecture geek (Yeah architecture geeks are a thing. Betcha didn't know that), is the Castle Block vendor in the Shopping District. Lloyd Fallingwater, named after famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright and one of the houses he designed (my all time favorite) Fallingwater. Did anyone else out there get the joke? Anyone

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
So in the B.O.X.E.S. event, did anyone else catch that young Cyrus was modeled after Bob Ross, the PBS painter? When I saw the easel and the Cyrus/Bob Ross portrait on the wall, I laughed out loud! Cyrus as Bob with an afro is so totally the anti-Cyrus. Brilliant!

Survivor
Jun 11, 2010
FinnAgainWindrider on Oct 10, 2014 wrote:
So in the B.O.X.E.S. event, did anyone else catch that young Cyrus was modeled after Bob Ross, the PBS painter? When I saw the easel and the Cyrus/Bob Ross portrait on the wall, I laughed out loud! Cyrus as Bob with an afro is so totally the anti-Cyrus. Brilliant!
The Professor: Dr. Who? Kind of obvious, plus I think Bartelby might be a reference to the great Deku Tree from Legend of Zelda. Also in the life tower the symbol on the floor looks like the Triforce from Legend of Zelda Sophia Goldenleaf

Survivor
Oct 28, 2013
FinnAgainWindrider on Oct 10, 2014 wrote:
Woah! PBS is like the base of my brother's internet expirence! All day and all night! That is really awesome, and I thank you for pointing that out.

That's all for now,
Victoria S.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
I didn't read through every one of the countless entries in this thread so if this is a duplicate I apologize...

In Zafaria, a witch doctor gives you a magic phrase which is "Ooh eee ooh ah ah ting tang walla walla bing bang" - this is a line from a 1958 song called Witch Doctor by David Seville* (the creator and voices for the original Chipmunks cartoon)

*His real name was Ross Bagdasarian for what it's worth