Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The brilliant "easter eggs" in Wizard101

AuthorMessage
Delver
Mar 05, 2013
I must correct a mistake in my previous post. My memory, not being what it once was, said that the aforementioned creature was 'Yog-Shoggoth'. That is incorrect. It is 'Yog-Sothoth.' A 'shoggoth' was an entirely different type of monster, and featured prominently in Lovecraft's 'At the Mountains of Madness.' I apologize for faulty memory.

Survivor
Nov 17, 2011
Not sure if someone already posted this; sorry if they did.
There's a quest called 'Relative dimensions' where you need to talk to The Professor.
There's also a quest called 'Professor Who'
Doctor Who anybody?

Survivor
Nov 17, 2011
Edit to my previous post:
Sorry I didn't look through any of the posts, obviously it's been said already e.e

Defender
Jul 27, 2011
valdushawkflame on Apr 25, 2014 wrote:
I must correct a mistake in my previous post. My memory, not being what it once was, said that the aforementioned creature was 'Yog-Shoggoth'. That is incorrect. It is 'Yog-Sothoth.' A 'shoggoth' was an entirely different type of monster, and featured prominently in Lovecraft's 'At the Mountains of Madness.' I apologize for faulty memory.
Got to love Lovecraft's stories.... they are amazing.

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
Yep I Lovecraft. In Khrysalis Kondha Desert we meet a mouse that is missing part of an ear, and his name is Evandyr Halfear. This would be a reference to one time Heavyweight Boxing Champion Evander Holyfield, who had part of his ear bitten off during a Championship Bout with Mike Tyson. Oddly enough, this was far from the most bizarre thing Tyson ever did during his career.

Defender
Jul 27, 2011
valdushawkflame on Apr 27, 2014 wrote:
Yep I Lovecraft. In Khrysalis Kondha Desert we meet a mouse that is missing part of an ear, and his name is Evandyr Halfear. This would be a reference to one time Heavyweight Boxing Champion Evander Holyfield, who had part of his ear bitten off during a Championship Bout with Mike Tyson. Oddly enough, this was far from the most bizarre thing Tyson ever did during his career.
Amusing, I remember seeing that NPC and thinking, why does that seem familiar? Now I know why.

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
Lol, in Khrysalis2, in the Hive we meet a character named Jhae Askewed View, clearly a play on words for View Askew Productions, home of all of Kevin Smiths movies...Jhae even says 'Snoogans' and talks about his brother 'Bawb', meaning Bob of 'Jay and Silent Bawb'. Lol I wish I had time to post all the Easter Eggs, there's some Classic stuff here. Great Job KingsIsle Creative Gods!

Survivor
Aug 25, 2009
there is one in Sydonyx for you all.

Move Along Stranger I Don't Care About Your Sweetroll Nice skyrim reference

Survivor
Jan 04, 2011
I wont even waste my time reading all of theses but notice how for your minion quest when your in azteca or avalon, The person who you talk to in the marlybone area with the police box near him refers to Doctor Who and the tardis

Survivor
Jun 09, 2009
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but there's a quest in Grizzleheim called, "The King and I".
Keep up the great work KI!
~ Festus
Gabrielle DreamTail Level 40
"Some days, life is like the best party imaginable. On others, it can be like everything's upiside down, and will never get better."

Defender
Jul 27, 2011
festusandthetardis on Apr 29, 2014 wrote:
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but there's a quest in Grizzleheim called, "The King and I".
Keep up the great work KI!
~ Festus
Gabrielle DreamTail Level 40
"Some days, life is like the best party imaginable. On others, it can be like everything's upiside down, and will never get better."
When giving an easter egg find, tell us why it is a find? Example, what does "The King and I" refer to from other things?

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Mello Lily on Apr 30, 2014 wrote:
When giving an easter egg find, tell us why it is a find? Example, what does "The King and I" refer to from other things?
"The King and I" is a film. I'm sure the person who posted this assumed people knew that since it's decades old.

Defender
Jul 27, 2011
RavenLady777 on Apr 30, 2014 wrote:
"The King and I" is a film. I'm sure the person who posted this assumed people knew that since it's decades old.
Thanks

Explorer
Aug 14, 2012
AustinStormspear on Apr 29, 2014 wrote:
I wont even waste my time reading all of theses but notice how for your minion quest when your in azteca or avalon, The person who you talk to in the marlybone area with the police box near him refers to Doctor Who and the tardis
Oooooh this is getting annoying. Doctor Who is awesome! But yeah I think we all get it; it's been mentioned about sixty times in this post!

Delver
Apr 21, 2012
Here's one, in Khrysalis part 2, there's a boss named the Ice Angler, this is his speech. "Wizard, the wind is howlin' like this swirlin' storm inside, I can't keep it in, the Spiral knows I've tried. I don't what you're gonna say. Imma let the storm rage on. The cold never bothered me anyway."

And after defeat, he says, "Y'know, it's funny how some distance makes everythin' seem small. This Ice Lens? Yeah, I'm just gonna let it go."

If you don't know that reference, you live under a rock.

Survivor
Jan 10, 2010
I'm not sure if someone already said this, but the level 50 tutorial with Diego is named ''Arrow in the Knee'' this is a reference from the game skyrim, where the guards sometime say: ''I used to be an adventurer like you, but then i took an arrow in the knee.''

Survivor
Aug 15, 2012
Malt22 on Jun 24, 2011 wrote:
All of Zeke's quests are rock n roll bands:

1. The Smiths- Popular British Indie rock band from the 80's
2. The Yardbirds- 1960's British Blues/R&B band with psychedelic leanings, featured three of rock's greatest guitarists: Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Paige.
3. The Stray Cats- American 80's band from New York that led the rockabilly rivival of the time.
4. The Lounge Lizards- Another (fairly unknown) 80's band from New York that created "fake jazz with pop and avant-garde rock tendencies."
5. The Stone Roses- short lived British 80's/90's band that merged classic 60's psychedelic rock with an 80's dance beat. (These guys are great!)
6. Blue Oyster Cult- The very first band I personally fell in love with. Though still around today, this New York based thinking man's heavy metal band flourished during the 70's and 80's, having hits like "Don't Fear the Reaper" and "Godzilla"
7. The Troggs- 1960's Bristish Proto-punk band that was best known for it's song, "Wild Thing"
What about the Monkeys in Zafaria and the wallflowers in wysteria

Survivor
Aug 15, 2012
Another "egg" I found is the world of Wysteria. In real life Wisteria is an invasive plant. In wizard101, A plant is taking over.

Jasmine Jadestone,
Transcendent

Defender
Jul 27, 2011
wraithcaster on May 2, 2014 wrote:
Here's one, in Khrysalis part 2, there's a boss named the Ice Angler, this is his speech. "Wizard, the wind is howlin' like this swirlin' storm inside, I can't keep it in, the Spiral knows I've tried. I don't what you're gonna say. Imma let the storm rage on. The cold never bothered me anyway."

And after defeat, he says, "Y'know, it's funny how some distance makes everythin' seem small. This Ice Lens? Yeah, I'm just gonna let it go."

If you don't know that reference, you live under a rock.
No, I have no idea where that is from... (Sarcasm)
But quite honestly, I just saw the movie not too long ago, so I just found out. So for those who are "living under a rock", it is from a Disney movie called Frozen.

Good find, I skipped the dialogue.

Seth NightFlame 100
Child of Light and Shadow

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Jasmine Jadestone on May 3, 2014 wrote:
What about the Monkeys in Zafaria and the wallflowers in wysteria
Those are bands as well.

There's also "Zelonious the Bluemonk" in Sardonyx - Thelonius Monk was a great jazz musician who had a tune called "Blue Monk"

There's a boss "Ozzric" in Moon Cliffs. The Ozric Tentacles are a (highly underrated) psy/prog band from the UK.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Speaking of Dr Who, the voice and overall look of Old Cob are the hooded messenger from the Asylum of the Daleks prequel.

"Pit of Despair" - a dungeon in the Hive - is a Princess Bride ref.

"Nobody ever expects..." The Spanish Inquisition - from an old Monty Python skit.

Path of Ungol is a Tolkien / LotR reference. Ungol means spider in Elvish.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
valdushawkflame on Mar 11, 2014 wrote:
OK I admit this might be a bit of a stretch. I was listening to one of my CDs by 'Yes', a band that was very popular back in the 70s and 80s. The song was 'And You and I', and one of the lyrics was 'as a foundation left to create a Spiraling...'. OK the Spiraling got me thinking. Pulled out my old Yes vinyl records (Yes, vinyl Yes records, I'm old but smart enough to save them). Their album covers were very famous for artwork by an artist named Roger Dean, very cool stuff at the time. And one of the concepts was a planet blowing up, and small chunks of that planet floating off into space and somehow forming other planets and growing new life forms. Am I insane, reaching or whatever, or is this kind of similar to our Wizard101 Spiral? Is there a Yes fan among the KingsIsle game designers? Feel free to ridicule me, I'm probably way off base. Just got me thinking...
There's no question that Dean's art inspired a generation of fantasy artists and game designers. Look at the floating mountains for instance. You are spot on. The Avatar world, among others, also has a lot of that style.

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
Good catch on Thelonius Monk Prince, and yep Ungol means spider in Elvish, and has a few other Tolkienish references. The Tower of Cirith Ungol is where Sam and Frodo met up with Shelob. I think it means 'Spiders Pass'. And Ungoliant was Melkor/Morgoths pet Spider in The Silmarillion, and was the Mother of all Spiders.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
The quest to rescue the novelist Kathleen Wilder in Zultun Dock is actually a reference to novelist Joan Wilder, author of the famous novel, Romancing the Stone. Ironically enough you have to defeat a boss named Zolo Stoneheart

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
When Ice Wizards get our Ice Trap spell we are to hurl a shard of ice off of Elik's Edge and speak the words 'klaatu, verata, niktu'. In the original (and superior) movie 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' those are the words that Michael Rennie (Klaatu) tells Patricia Neal (I forget her name in the movie) to speak the Gort (the Robot) if any harm should befall Klaatu. Klaatu is shot, Gort escapes his crystalline prison and is about to vaporize Ms. Neal, who speaks the words and faints. Gort opts to not vaporize Ms. Neal.