Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The brilliant "easter eggs" in Wizard101

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
firetype2004 on Feb 16, 2016 wrote:
Penny Dreadful in the Commons is actually a TV series. I know, right?
But long long ago, the penny dreadfuls were cheap paperback serial books, produced in the ninteenth century in the UK. Penny wasn't named for the TV show, she was named for the books. They were cheap, thus worth a penny, and horrible, thus dreadful (or awful, or terrible).

Survivor
Aug 12, 2009
valdushawkflame on Apr 24, 2014 wrote:
Early in Khrysalis Part 2, we meet some Burrowers who speak in a strange patois, and use the term 'Grok'. This is a reference to a Sci-Fi novel by Robert E. Heinlein, 'Stranger In a Strange Land.' Later on we fight a boss name Taylor Coleridge. Samuel Taylor Coleridge was a British Poet and Writer who is famous for his epic poem 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner.' The dialogue that our Boss Coleridge speaks is a few stanzas from that poem.
And if you look just behind Taylor after he comes out of the cave, where you defeat him, you can see a sign with the name "HM(S) RESOLUT" The "S" is partially gone. This is a reference to the British ice ship the HMS Resolute, which was commissioned to look for the missing expedition of Sir John Franklin and his crew, who had left London a few years earlier in search of the North West Passage. However, the ship became stuck in the ice and was abandoned, to be found almost a year later by an American whaling ship. It was given back to Britain as a gift, from which the three "Resolute" desks (Hence the name) were crafted from. One of these desks is used to this day as the President's desk. An interesting tip to the famous ship, KingsIsle.

Survivor
Apr 07, 2012
I do believe that there is a star wars reference in Zafaria where there is an elephant smugler (I think) and his coat looks a lot like Han Solo's coat.

Survivor
Aug 09, 2012
Many Bosses of the last worlds are references.

Krokopatra - Cleopatra - Ancient Egyptian History

Meowiarty - Professor Moriarty - Sherlock Holmes's archenemy
Mithraya - Mithraya - A girl name in Tamil, also a Zodiac sign in some countries, whose element is fire.
White and Black Dragons - White Dragon Blue Eyes and Black Dragon Collapserpent - Yu-Gi-Oh
Rasputin - Grigori (Gregory in English) Rasputin - The Russian Revolution.

Survivor
Dec 29, 2010
In the Zafaria quest "The Witch Doctor" The magic words are lyrics from the old song "The Witch Doctor". The spell is the chorus.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
When Baldur gives you the quest "I Know a Guy..." where you talk to Eric Wyrdrune to get a spell (for Storm wizards it's Supercharge), he says "I have an offer you can't refuse." That's a quote from the Godfather trilogy.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
High Five Ghost on Jan 27, 2016 wrote:
One of my favourites is Bastilla Gravewynd.

Megadeth is my favourite band. At the end of Bastilla's dialogue, the way she says, "...those who oppose us!" reminds me so much of Dave Mustaine saying it in "The Conjuring". I don't know if that was intentional or not, but with all of the musical references throughout the game I'm guessing it was another Megadeth fan who threw that one in there.

The first two things Prospector Zeke has you collect are Smiths and Beatles, both of which were English rock bands. Not sure about this one, but I think it was intentional

Indeed it's quite intentional. Not specifically English rock bands, but every Prospector Zeke "hide and seek" quest is a reference to a band or music artist. As you've already pointed out it's The Smiths and The Beatles in Wizard City and Krokotopia. Marleybone is The Stray Cats, Dragonspyre is The Stone Roses, Mooshu is Blue Öyster Cult, Grizzleheim is The Yardbirds, Celestia is The Lounge Lizards, Wintertusk is The Troggs, Wysteria is The Wallflowers, Zafaria is The Monkees, Avalon is The Black Crowes, Azteca is UFO, Khrysalis I is The Crickets, Khrysalis II is Iron Butterfly, and Polaris is Vanilla Ice.

I think it'd be cool if in a future world they did the Dixie Chicks. "Those little chicks sure do love their wide open spaces, but they've been a long time gone and they've got a home here to come back to. Be careful when ya find 'em though. If they're not ready to make nice yet, they may be ready to run."
"Those little chicks sure do love their wide open spaces, but they've been a long time gone and they've got a home here to come back to. Be careful when ya find 'em though. If they're not ready to make nice yet, they may be ready to run."

You got Prospector Zeke down.

Also I searched Prospector Zeke and I found he's a boss in another game. Not sure if this was intentional.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Antonio Deathhunte... on Jul 22, 2015 wrote:
Tanglewood's final boss, Forrest Grump, a reference from the 1994 film, Forrest Gump
It's actually Forest Grump.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
PetersNose on Oct 29, 2015 wrote:
I found alot of music references in the quest names. I can only remember a few off the top of my head, but here they are.

Third crafting mission, quest name is "Marleybone Calling" a reference to London Calling by the Clash
Forgot what exactly, but theres a quest in Colossus Alley called "Are You Experienced" Jimi Hendrix's debut album.
Quest to learn about the pet pavilion is called "Pet Sounds", an album by the Beach Boys.
Also in the pet pavilion, there are the "Pet Shoppe Boys" and the "West End Girls". The Pet Shoppe Boys were a band, and West End Girls was a song Written by them.

The first two things Prospector Zeke has you collect are Smiths and Beatles, both of which were English rock bands. Not sure about this one, but I think it was intentional
I forgot whether it was a pet or a spell, but there's something in the game called "War Pigs", named after the Black Sabbath song. I think there was also an Iron Man reference, don't remember exactly what it was. Might have been when you beat the guy on top of golem tower, not sure.

All of these were pretty obvious, but it was still cool seeing them when they popped up, especially considering the majoroty of people who play Wizard 101 are too young to get them.
"I think there was also an Iron Man reference, don't remember exactly what it was. Might have been when you beat the guy on top of golem tower, not sure."

Yes, the Iron Golem.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Elijah Lionheart on Jun 3, 2015 wrote:
I looked back quite a few pages and didn't see this one. The
Darkmoor Death Spell is an exact copy of the H.P. Lovecraft creature in a number of his books. He even looks the same. Only difference, like many of the Eggs here, is a slight change in spelling.
Yes! My friend's obsessed with the Cthulhu mythos.

Explorer
Jun 20, 2015
I just finished watching Doctor Who and then realized that the five B.O.X.E.S. event is based off it. It's a phone box that travels in time and belongs to someone with a name that is also a rank. And the inside. It looks exactly like the TARDIS from the days of 10.

Delver
Aug 05, 2013
wizard city = USA
Krokotopia = Egypt
Marleybone = London
MooShu = Japan
Grizzleheim = Ireland
Wysteria = France
Dragonspyre = Rome
Celestia = Atlantis
Zafaria = Africa
Avalon = Denmark
Azteca = Poland
Aquila = Rome
Khrysalis = Insect World
Polaris = Antartica

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
DevinSkullStone on Jun 9, 2016 wrote:
wizard city = USA
Krokotopia = Egypt
Marleybone = London
MooShu = Japan
Grizzleheim = Ireland
Wysteria = France
Dragonspyre = Rome
Celestia = Atlantis
Zafaria = Africa
Avalon = Denmark
Azteca = Poland
Aquila = Rome
Khrysalis = Insect World
Polaris = Antartica
A few tweaks...
Grizzleheim - Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, Norway)
Avalon - Great Britain (home to the King Arthur legends)
Azteca - Mexico (Aztecs were located in present-day northern Mexico)
Aquila - Greece (most names are Greek and there is a Mount Olympus)
Polaris - Russia with touches of France (French Revolution and Imperial Russia)

Best of luck!
S.S.

Survivor
Aug 09, 2012
DevinSkullStone on Jun 9, 2016 wrote:
wizard city = USA
Krokotopia = Egypt
Marleybone = London
MooShu = Japan
Grizzleheim = Ireland
Wysteria = France
Dragonspyre = Rome
Celestia = Atlantis
Zafaria = Africa
Avalon = Denmark
Azteca = Poland
Aquila = Rome
Khrysalis = Insect World
Polaris = Antartica
Wizard City - You can't really base a country off of wizard city...
MooShu - More of Chinese because of the Samurai/Samoorai
Azteca - More of Central America and Mexico, that's where the Aztecan, Inca, Mayan, and Olmec people ca,e frp,
Khrysalis - Can't really base that off of a country either

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Garret AshFlame on Jun 12, 2016 wrote:
Azteca - More of Central America and Mexico, that's where the Aztecan, Inca, Mayan, and Olmec people ca,e frp,
The Japanese had Samurai, the Chinese didn't.

Wizard City looks like 1700s-1800s America.

Survivor
Feb 17, 2009
I've scanned through most of the pages, and haven't seen this one mentioned yet... probably showing my age, but: One of the first quests you are given in Unicorn Way, is called "Fairies Wear Boots," which is a song by Black Sabbath.

Survivor
Jan 19, 2015
Not sure if this has been mentioned (32 pages is a lot to scroll through) but in Azteca, near the end of Saltmeadow Swamp, the quests "Floodland" and "Vision Things" are both named after albums by the band Sisters of Mercy, and the instance quest in the Pyramid of the Storm Eye, "This Corrosion" is a song off of Floodland

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
I was doing a quest in Avalon and now I have to defeat this boss called the Dark Knight.

Batman reference

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
The Dark Knight boss even has a shield with a bat on it. Haha

Survivor
Jan 19, 2014
Inspector Clooso from Polaris is a reference to inspector Clouseau from The Pink Panther series

Survivor
Jan 19, 2014
Garret AshFlame on Jun 12, 2016 wrote:
Polaris is Russia/France

Survivor
Feb 18, 2011
Hey, has anybody noticed that the towers outside of all of the schools in Wizard City have lit candles on the inside, except for the Storm one?? Whys is that? Also; why is Cyrus and Malistaire making the same pose in their posters in their schools, except in Malistaires the hand is ripped off and on Cyrus' his hand is covered in something Red. What is that?

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Wizard101Guider on Jul 1, 2016 wrote:
Hey, has anybody noticed that the towers outside of all of the schools in Wizard City have lit candles on the inside, except for the Storm one?? Whys is that? Also; why is Cyrus and Malistaire making the same pose in their posters in their schools, except in Malistaires the hand is ripped off and on Cyrus' his hand is covered in something Red. What is that?
Where did you see this portrait of Cyrus and Malistaire?

Survivor
May 12, 2012
fireball6883 on May 24, 2011 wrote:
oh i got one! in marleybone, barkingham palace! get it? barkingham? buckingham? right?
I am reading about Buckingham palace right know and my friend was doing marlybone so I helped her. i can't believe I did not pick up on that!

Survivor
May 12, 2012
Big one coming!!! When the 5 B.O.X.E.S. came to Wizard101, It was a huge reference to Dr.Who. The Tardis is now red. Even The Professor's assistant is named Rose Piper, a reference to Rose Tyler.