Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizardly chatting

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Mar 22, 2009
Thanks! I want to be able to type my sentence and everybody can her it!
(I hate saying rude stuff.)

Survivor
Feb 15, 2009
Hello Mr. Lincoln,

Just today I was watching some PVP and noticed a certain player using words like swears. He called one player "Son of a bench" and when his spell fizzled he said "Oh sheet!". His name was Wolf Dragonhunter. He was Savior of the Spiral. I think that you should be able to report people in battle because there is a lot of swearing in PVP.

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
and then what?

If they add the word bench to the screen you can't say that but then they would say something else. The word noob mean nothing to me until i logged on to this game and since i have seen it used as way to put people down and in ways to describe a level of wizard.

I am saying it isn't stuff like that, which should make people crazy. I worry about more serious issues then pretend cussing that i would not even blink if i heard in real time.

People grow up, or if you are a child and learn to ignore things. My goodness never before have i PAID money to be in such a restricting environment.

And i DO MEAN MONEY. It amazes me how much you guys worry about the little things. I am worried about inappropriate behavior and YOU ALL KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. Not some kid who says sheet when his spell fizzles.

These kids are not crystal and will not break. I am a mom, and while i am not into them cussing or bullying or being bullied, I certainly don't want them to think the world is so scary that the mere illusion of of a word can is reason for them to go ape crazy.

This will probably not get posted but i am sure it will be read. Can we stop acting as though the only ones playing this game are five year olds. Because i have a five year old that i was going to give an account to and make it so he can't read or speak. That is an option i would advise others to do and leave chat to those who are able to figure out that if someone is bothering you, you can simply change realms and NEVER see that person again. You do not have to engage just because you are being engaged.

Also i would like KI to concentrate on the bugs. When i remove a person and they are still able to port to me or text me THAT IS A BUG.

FIX THAT! Stop worrying about complaints like that is your first priority and find a programmer that can fix the already out of control bugs that seem to be getting worse with every passing day,

I am not here to be the babysitter of other people's kids and niether are YOU. You provide a game that is reasonable if not extrodinarily safe for me to consider for my kids. Do that well and then worry about the minor complaints of a kid who is frustrated enough to mimick cussing.

Cause let's face it. There is no way anyone, and mean ANYONE, can cuss on this game. Unless you are prepared to end chat - and that would end my subsrciption - you have to know that kids are inventive enough to start a new group of perfectly good words give them new meanings and the struggle begins again.

My advice: PARENTS SHOULD PARENT THEIR OWN KIDS.

Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
Sojourna wrote:

Also i would like KI to concentrate on the bugs. When i remove a person and they are still able to port to me or text me THAT IS A BUG.

FIX THAT! Stop worrying about complaints like that is your first priority and find a programmer that can fix the already out of control bugs that seem to be getting worse with every passing day,

I am not here to be the babysitter of other people's kids and niether are YOU. You provide a game that is reasonable if not extrodinarily safe for me to consider for my kids. Do that well and then worry about the minor complaints of a kid who is frustrated enough to mimick cussing.

Cause let's face it. There is no way anyone, and mean ANYONE, can cuss on this game. Unless you are prepared to end chat - and that would end my subsrciption - you have to know that kids are inventive enough to start a new group of perfectly good words give them new meanings and the struggle begins again.

See, I like this person now she actually gets that people cussing doesn't matter ever hear of an ignore list? You know the one that in most games has a frowny face on it? use that and hey! Even more magic they can't talk to you anymore! And they more or less fixed the PvP thing if you click on the persons name it comes up with the add to friends ignore report stuff so you can report them from there. Other than that the word "Noob" means new player not very offensive is it? It's only offensive in the real world when people don't know what it mean and go to the worst case scenerio of what it means. Other than that again to just top it off if you don't think you can handle the cussing and so on, get off of online games and go back to scrabble, no matter what you do there's always going to be someone who finds a way around it if not, go back to club penguin. But this is just my thoughts now, I like Jagex's way of the filter better, it just blocked out the words that were the swears or that could mean swears, like in one of their games you well you can now but then you couldnt say something like "suck" it's gotten looser now but yeah, just my thoughts. And again if your kids has text chat, they should understand not to type in their phone number or something like that if they dont, that your fault.

Survivor
Jan 19, 2009
I have a VERY important question! Why is there a downloading thing on the left side on a different computer when we already been there and have access to it? It happened to me sometimes. Please send a responce!

Administrator
different computer

You answered your own question, young Wizard.

Your characters may have been there on one computer and downloaded those areas as they progressed through the worlds.

If you switch to a different computer, you will need to download those areas to that computer.

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-
Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
Sojourna wrote:
and then what?

Just to add my point of view as a game player and parent of game players. Yes, you can say words that "sound like" "rhyme", etc. To me as a parent if my child questions it; it is answered. Most of the time they ignore the words on screen, and unless they are used to that type of language, they really wouldn't understand it.

As an adult game player - There are many circumstances where you can change the wording to get your point across, and I find this a lot of fun just coming up with homophones, synomyns, etc. I find that we (as other adults) although frustrating, still have a laugh while we play and "try" to talk as adults....it really doesn't come out that way at times. Besides, it is a game and games are for FUN! Let's have fun!

Alura DreamWhisper (life wizard, lvl 48)
Sestiva SilverStalker (storm wizard, lvl 44) gosh do we EVER fizzle! I would like that changed a little, but hey, I've made it to DS!

Survivor
May 15, 2009
Glad to see I'm not the only WoW player here

;)

The chat is excellent. I found this game on a TV commercial and said to my son "Let's check that out, go grab your laptop." We sat there and played with it for quite a while and i was very impressed with the chat functions and the control of the chat. That's the main reason I would never let my son play WoW or even watch me play. I was always afraid at what he may read in trade channel...

The other thing I fully enjoy about the chat is that it FORCES them to spell correctly.

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
Survivor
May 22, 2009
pyron9 wrote:
Why can't the players under 13 use text chat
And can the people that use menu chat see what the text chat people are saying
idk why they cant see the text chat?

Survivor
May 22, 2009
grendle wrote:
i am a parent also, and unlike parents who rely on others to monitor their children, i check up on my own :)
grendle that's kinda offensive don't you think.

Defender
Oct 03, 2008
While I'm very sure *most* parents don't rely on other people to monitor their children, there are some who just simply don't have to time to constantly watch their kids backs and I am grateful to Wizard101 for filtered chat because of this. At the same time, they still have to take responsibility for any actions their children take; they can't pin the blame on anyone but themselves if anything bad happens (YOU are the number 1 protector of your kids after all, as all parents should *hopefully* know and understand). Personally, it should be me monitoring my kids mainly, not someone else (they're free to help if they want, and if I think its ok, but it's not their obligation to do so and therefore should not be blamed for whatever happens).

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necromancer

Survivor
Jun 01, 2009
I all and all are very pleased with the free chat. There is one thing that makes thing sort of hard. Talking about numbers. Once a friend asked me how much gold was in a wooden box and I couldnt answer him because I couldnt write the number. I am sure this is to protect us in some way, but it does get occasionaly annoying.

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
I don't understand why some people's character info and picture suddenly show up on my screen. They aren't trying to talk to me.

The problem is that when I go to close the screen it is right next to the Report button. I think I accidentially clicked the Report button once. The Report button needs to be far away from the close window one.

I also have a question.

Why is it that some people that are on my friends list and online I can text to, and others I can't?

Is it because the ones who the Text box is greyed out have put me on ignore?

Survivor
May 30, 2009
Administrator
This answer can be found in our Help & Support Frequently Asked Questions section:
If you are unable to use the chat function, it is possible that your account does not have Text Chat enabled. Accounts set up as over 13 players are able to use the Text Chat.

You may also simply have the Chat Bubbles turned off. You can turn the chat bubbles on and off by pressing the letter O on your keyboard.

If you have an account that is over 13 and still cannot chat you might need to enable the feature. To enable you must login to Wizard101.com and select "My Accounts". Under the "Account Management" section login to your parental controls and click on the 'enable' button located next to the 'filtered text' option.

Text Chat for players with under 13 accounts can only be turned on by a parent/guardian over age 18. The parent/guardian must validate his/her age by buying a subscription or crowns with a valid credit card.

If you have previously been able to use Text Chat and no longer can access it, it is possible that you have been reported for harrasment or other misconduct. Please contact Customer Support using the "Ask a Question" button on the Help & Support page.

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-
Survivor
Jun 19, 2009
Will you got to be careful when you report because like W101 said if it is dirty,bad and makes people fell bad.Like me i do not type bad things but sometimes my hand goes to the wrong key and they block the word that i was trying to type so sometimes people think i said a cuse word

Survivor
Jun 07, 2009
Hurrah! I'm not the only one who does not want to see or read profanity for my own sake,let alone my child's or grandchild's. I just want to have a friendly game and while away some time- not listen to obscene drivel from people who should be courteous enough to keep it private. I am not a prude, I just think some things are not meant for all to hear.I am a good parent but admit that even I cannot hope to monitor my kid every single second she is playing on this site or any other. So thanks for trying to help with that.
On another note altogether, the new open chat is great. I'm glad I can finally tell my group partner a number and make more coherent sentences. The drawback that I have found is the chat line closes after every comment and we have to open it again to say something else.Could someone check that out?
Also,I don't care for the new situation with the treasure cards. They are much more expensive through the bazaar and since I am on a fixed budget I can't afford to get enough crowns to get enough gold to buy them! I liked the original way of getting all of them from the card vendors and having a larger selection to choose from. Is there a way to do both ? Allow others to sell them and some to get them from the library as before? Thank you for making the first online game that I feel comfortable playing.

Survivor
Jan 18, 2009
Survivor
Jun 28, 2009
I am 23 and I cant figure out how to be able to text chat i think that i have mime turned off or something can someone please help me......i have that little chat bubble with the red no sign on it and i dont know how to get rid of it.

Explorer
May 22, 2008
peachesncream86 wrote:
I am 23 and I cant figure out how to be able to text chat i think that i have mime turned off or something can someone please help me......i have that little chat bubble with the red no sign on it and i dont know how to get rid of it.

You need to go to "My Accounts" on the upper-left corner of the wizard101.com web-site. When you click on your account you should see options and settings that will allow you to change your chatting limitations.

Survivor
Jun 25, 2009
I need help in trying to view the chat from others.

Everything i talk with someone and different players it has ..... and in colors of yellowish, blueish and like pinkish.

I am not sure if i have the chat features configured correctly on my profile on wizard 101.com

Also i'm 18+ adult.

Can anyone help?

Survivor
Jul 06, 2009
I also am a parent and I appreciate the menu chat. I was in Ambrose's quarters the other day and someone was saying "Are there any young boys here?" and "It's OK, I'm a policeman." My 9yo son, who has menu chat only, couldn't see it. He asked me why he couldn't text chat and when I told him about that incident, he agreed.

I like that this game has chat options for everyone. You can choose the level you need or desire. It does help keep the game safe for kids.

Survivor
Jul 16, 2009
ASIMA wrote:
grendle wrote:
first, you wont change my opinion, because it is just that. mine. second, i am a parent also, and unlike parents who rely on others to monitor their children, i check up on my own :)

Wizard 101 is a game that gives a parent a peace of mind while their kids are playing and not have them overly concerned about child predators trying to get information from them to use against them . My children that play Wizard 101 are young adults, and my grand-kids are never left alone to play Wizard 101 without their parents being in the same room playing alongside them . I don't think any parent depend on Wizard 101 to monitor their children, but they know they have a peace of mind , unlike any other game online that their child is being protected as a main priorty
during gameplay, ie Filtered-chat.

I would be willing to bet that most of if not all the explicit inappropriate chat came from children.

Survivor
Jul 16, 2009
phayte wrote:
Haitchi wrote:
Also, think we can get the option to turn off receiving friend invites? It is rather frustrating to be running down a street and having somebody spam me with friend invites as I'm trying to dodge a group of monsters. It would be a little easier for me to pick who I make friends with.

I'd like to vote for this addition as well.

I think sometimes the invites are accidental. I have sent invites while trying to click on an npc. I have also had other players tell me the invite they sent was an accident.