Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizardly chatting

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 21, 2009
41
Skha wrote:
As I can see where many, many of you are coming from, I for one do not approve of the chatting system. Though I do understand that it gives parents a peace of mind, it also extremely complicates discussion.
In order to use numbers one must say things such as 'One, to, tree, for, fifth, sixth,' and so on. When discussing how many health points an opponent has, this proves extremely difficult.
Though I have seen some players talking explicitly, (I would have reported them, had I been a member at that time, but I was not), it's just a matter of another online game. Even with the reporting and such, it will be impossibly to completely fish these people out of the system.

I think there should be different levels of filtered chat. I believe members should have the chance to decide exactly how much of their chat is filtered and if they feel the need to speak sexually or explicitly, then they, in fact, should be banned. But it should not be that difficult to talk about food, or numbers.
the language in the comons is getting worse and when you report it they comence to harrass you to the point of leaving the realm. they laugh it off replying that they have been reported a hundred times . when they do get band they just come back on a new acount

Defender
Jul 06, 2010
105
Shiningfantasia wrote:
I have to approve of the current chat. There is no question about it.

Wizard101, once again, an excellent job on keeping this game "clean."

While one can *never* truly keep chat 100% "dirt" free, one can, keep it as clean as possible, and Wizard101 has done that. Sure, you cannot say certain foods, or certain numbers, but I have been playing this game for a minimum of half a year, gotten a Wizard through Mooshu, and managed to do it without using food or certain numbers in my chat.

See, I have been playing WoW for years, and FFxi even twice as long, and the peace from "free-chatting" and foul-mouthing smart-alec toddlers and adults (oh yes, plenty of grown ups like that around) that I get is astounding. Sure, you can ignore everyone that you dont want to listen to, but, that defeats the purpose of being in an online world. Besides, I have never found an ignore list that at some point did not max out after adding about 100+ people.

Filter spam by making chatters unable to list or repeat the same thing that they have said for like... lets say, 5 seconds. That eliminates one problem that many seem to be annoyed with.

Also, allow the use of the "normal" menu chat during battles. I have noticed how the "normal" menu chat is replaced by a "battle" menu chat during battles. Simply add the Menu chat to the Battle menu chat. I have noticed that I could not tell people my level and such (especially after first meeting them IN a battle) because of a fight.


Yes some of the menu chat is almost crucial during battle. I have been in battle only to have a friend pm and ask for help followed by what quest they are doing. They haven't started fighting yet, but asked for help first. Great. However when that quest is solo, or an area you have to be on the sigil to go in, you have no way to tell them yet - battle chat. So you say One minute I'm busy fighting. They assume you will be on your way, jump into battle, and later die. again. :(
Please KI add more to Battle chat.

Survivor
Feb 28, 2010
2
I have also had ploblems with battel chat not allowing you to tell your friends not to use certian spells on some of the "cheating" bosses. You are unable to tell them to refrain from healing , or all inclusive spells. I was able to concure some of them only by helping friends who have full chat. I have been in voilation of txt chat tring to tell others who i just met in battle how many more enemies i needed to kill. Such things need a way of being convaid with out indangering children. I am sure the wonderful wizards who keep this great sight changing for the better and more friendly than just a year ago will find the correct ways to make chat a lot easier. Thanks for all the hours of wizarding wondrer.

Survivor
Jul 10, 2009
14
I think this filter is a great thing, there are a few things I think are a little ridiculous.

1. Numbers
The reason numbers are blocked, was to prevent predators from asking our younger players personal information, such as phone numbers or addresses. I completely understand that, but it can be a hassle. I think that the solution to this would be to allow players to say something like "I need five more reagents" "I am level thirty-two" "I have died 3 times" But to NOT allow them to say "Five" "Thirty-two" or "3" by themselves. I know that this is possible, because I was experimenting to see what turned red in the chat box, and sometimes I would type (This is completely hypothetical, not a real phrase) "The apple is" and it would not be red, then I add "The apple is red" and it would turn red.

2. Battle Quick-chat
Whenever I'm in a battle and one of my Quick-Chat friends sends me a message, I try to reply only to find that all of my options are from the Battle Quick-Chat! Am I expected to reply to "How are you?" with "I need healing"? That seriously needs to be changed.

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
278
The simplest and most cost-effective fix to this issue is to not have separate battle chat and social chat menus for restricted users. Just leave it all in one menu and accessible at all times, whether in the Commons or in battle.

And yes, a few lines need to be added for menu-chat, such as "I do not friend players with Menu-Chat", and "I don't friend menu-chat players because battles are too hard to coordinate."

Survivor
Dec 19, 2010
1
:( i cant caps the I in the face: I: and i cant put "'em'" :-( w101 is getting pethetic :(

Survivor
Feb 07, 2010
7
Could Kingsisle make a better Open Chat dictionary? Maybe even monitor every message sent out in the spiral?

Administrator
joeykelly wrote:
Could Kingsisle make a better Open Chat dictionary? Maybe even monitor every message sent out in the spiral?


Everything that happens in the game is logged and available for our review, including but not limited to all chat, all items and all transactions.


community@wizard101.com
Mastermind
Mar 16, 2010
346
adintory wrote:
pyron9 wrote:
Why can't the players under 13 use text chat
And can the people that use menu chat see what the text chat people are saying
idk why they cant see the text chat?
Because they are little kids who might go crazy hearing that.

Explorer
Sep 01, 2010
64
Survivor
Sep 16, 2010
4
I am glad that reports of improper chat are investigated. On very rare occasions I have used text chat. Usually just to thank a fellow Wizard for healing me or reply briefly to a post to me in battle. So I was quite shocked earlier to get a message that the wizard I was playing at that time had been reported.

I was playing my Lvl 12 Necromancer, Christina Shadowbringer, at the time. There were quite a few people in the area of the Commons I was in. Is it possible to get the wrong person if there is a large group of people in the area I am passing by or pausing for whatever reason? That is the only thing I can think of to happen, as I take special care not to do anything inappropriate.

Defender
Aug 05, 2009
122
You guys have done a very good job with the chat filter. Thanks a million for being so deticated to keeping this game appropriate.

Survivor
Dec 10, 2010
22
the comons has become completly out of hand with the harrasment and language it isent even funny. all you need to do is go in to wu1 to confirm it. as far as parents parenting well lol good luck.

Survivor
May 25, 2010
24
MoonDragn wrote:
Can someone explain to me why I can't type words like "Magazine" and numbers like 1, 2, 3, 4.. etc?

I keep getting people asking me about my staff and I tried to explain to them I got it from Beckett Massive online Magazine. But the word Magazine, Periodical, etc are all filtered out. So I had to type Periodic and al..

That still went over the person's head as the kept asking me over and over how to get it. I finally just redirected them to the main Wiz website. Btw "webpage" is also filtered out.

Is there some kind of setting I need to turn off? How are these words bad?


The reason that people cannot type number in my opinion is because they could give out their phone numbers, or address number, etc. That's what I personally believe why the numbers are blocked. I also have an issue to that, because I can't write like what level I am during battle, etc. So, yeah that kinda is a bummer+a safety chat. Yet, I still don't realize why they don't allow like, Magazine in the chat. They're not bad words, or inappropriate words x: So, that's a bummer as well. x: But, they want to have "Clean" chat which I kinda like :D Because then I don't have to hear people use dirty words. But, I have open chat so that's a HUGE PROBLEM about people writing inappropiate things. And, I see ALLOT of them since the first day I got open chat x: Plus, if the name isn't allowed to be typed they do like 2 I's in the S word, or such. So, that's what I really hate, and mostly their my friends so I can't report them or else I would loose 'em. x:

Kenneth Night Level 52 Sorcerer

Survivor
Nov 04, 2009
8
I think the current chat system is fine, but would like to see a couple of additions to the menu chat if possible. I know that it is fairly limited and we can't include everything, but I think it would be a great help to all to have,
1) Sorry, I am in a dungeon.
This for when we are asked for help but cannot leave the dungeon we are in.
At the moment there is no way of cummunicating the reason we cannot help, and the requests keep coming every few minutes which can be very distracting.
2) Flee and port back to me.
This could be used when a menu chat player has died and just keeps hanging there waiting to be healed, and you can't heal them.
I know a lot of players know to do this anyway, but equaly a lot don't.
Can anyone think of any more really relevant ideas for updates to the menu chat in the future?

Survivor
Jul 29, 2011
5
I think the tiered chat system works great, personally. Community standards in these kinds of games must be strictly enforced or the overall community will go straight into the toilet with alarming speed - you know what they say about a few bad apples.

My only (minor) gripe is that there doesn't seem to be any way to tell at a glance who has open chat and who doesn't, like you can with the speech bubbles to see who has text chat and who only has menu chat.

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2925
Praise/criticism for the current chat-system:

-Where I'm from, words like favor and color have the letter U in them, and I've had to train myself to type in American English. It's one thing when I'm talking to friends my age, who have Open Chat, but something else entirely when I'm trying to reply to my 16-year-old friend (with filtered chat)'s question about what my favourite world or spell is and it gets censored.

-Speaking of linguistic differences, I've also noticed that certain phrases like 'goodnight' and 'go to bed' have been omitted, As I stated previously, in another thread, these expressions are innocuous and G-rated here; I have no idea what they mean to Americans, but stuff like this should be taken into consideration. I may live in another country, but I pay for my subscriptions (on both accounts) just like everyone else and should, as such, have the same rights. le

-May I suggest a language-option for players? I'm sure that it's not only English-speakers who play the game, and we should all be entitled to the same rights- if a player wants to chat with a friend in another language (say, French or Spanish), she or he should be able to do so. That all said, I understand that it would require a huge overhaul- KI would need to hire translators, or people to manage the filters for those languages, but it would also make the game a lot more marketable.

-I appreciate all of what KI is doing to protect the kids, even though I don't have any (yet). Still, I think that some of the unacceptable words are a tad ridiculous- magazine? Periodical? Seriously, guys... Wouldn't it be a good idea for kids to be exposed to something other than monosyllables and the inane "txt tlk" drivel? In my humble opinion, it would be doing them a favour- and yes, favour has the letter U in it.

Happy travels,

L.S.
Master of Balance

Defender
Jun 03, 2009
103
Mr. Lincoln
can you please explain to us all the newer option in the game for chatting and our friends list. Ok here it is I have a couple frinds I do like them but at times I just can't chat I'm too busy in the game to stop whatg I'm doing or if I'm helping another player and they interupt that. If I put this disruptive friend on ignore do I lose them OR may I put them on a TEMPORAY Ignore thus allowing me and so many others an option that can bring them back on our list later on? I saw this posted on the boards but now cannot find how this may work? Please let others and myself know what and how this works Thank you.

Administrator
faxbot882 wrote:
Mr. Lincoln
can you please explain to us all the newer option in the game for chatting and our friends list. Ok here it is I have a couple frinds I do like them but at times I just can't chat I'm too busy in the game to stop whatg I'm doing or if I'm helping another player and they interupt that. If I put this disruptive friend on ignore do I lose them OR may I put them on a TEMPORAY Ignore thus allowing me and so many others an option that can bring them back on our list later on? I saw this posted on the boards but now cannot find how this may work? Please let others and myself know what and how this works Thank you.


Once you ignore someone, they are removed from your Friends list and put on your Ignore list. You can unignore them, however they will not return to your Friends list unless you find them in the game and re-add them as a Friend.

You may want to take advantage of a new feature - Hidden from Friends.

In the Options Menu is the ability to set yourself to be Hidden from Friends. If you set this option, your friends panel will not be accessible and you will not appear as being online to your friends. To turn this option off, you can simply click on your friends panel to become available again.


community@wizard101.com
Explorer
Jul 21, 2009
52
vonawesome1 wrote:

-Where I'm from, words like favor and color have the letter U in them, and I've had to train myself to type in American English. It's one thing when I'm talking to friends my age, who have Open Chat, but something else entirely when I'm trying to reply to my 16-year-old friend (with filtered chat)'s question about what my favourite world or spell is and it gets censored.


I agree 100% about that. When "Oh, My Favourite Life Spell is Centaur." Or something gets censored, and I get so annoyed!

Whenever i write a report/ exam/ etc. I always write in American English. Talk about playing W101 too much...

It's not a major issue, but It'd be helpful if we could do something about it.

Thanks!

Defender
Feb 28, 2011
185
Mr Lincoln wrote:
Hello again students!

I wanted to touch base on this subject and the act of using the report function to let us know about players that do find ways to violate the filtered chat system we have in place.

It is important to remember that we take false reporting just as seriously as we do using inappropriate language. Please be careful and make sure that you only use this button when you witness a player using bad language.

Thank you!


I can only assume that since I was falsely reported by a snotty kid who got mad that I joined a fight he was in alone (it was part of my quest, and once you are on the fighting circle you cant back out that I know of), but I still have game play access, the administrators must have checked the actual conversation to see this person reported me for no reason then called me a foul name even in filtered chat. I'm glad there is filtered and also full open chat, but both filter actual foul language, but parents worried about preditors should keep their younger kids on filtered. I dont know what was done with this kid after I reported him for not only falsely reporting me but also calling me a foul name, hopefully he was banned for a few days or a week. I eventually had to block him because he kept harrassing me. The full open chat is nice to have, if only KI could find a way to make you aware of what other players have full open chat and which ones dont. we know a chat bubble with a line thru it is a no chat person, maybe the use of a specific color for the chat bubble for open chat would help. Talking with everyone as if they have filtered chat is minorly annoying, when trying to discuss levels mainly; knowing someone had full open chat... i could say i'm level 48, but not knowing, i start by saying i'm level forth ty eighth, then they assume i'm not full open chat, and it gets hard to discuss things like 'what lvl do you need to be to do that quest?'. Hope that makes sense and isn't a far fetched idea... but as a parent and grandparent myself, I understand the concern over conversation. My original conversation here was that obviously administration is doing a very good job. I wasnt blocked from play for a false report by a harrassing kid and I thank them for that :)

thanks,
Taryn RavenHeart grandmaster myth (higher than lvl 48 now but idk which lvl i'm at haha)

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
102
TarynHeart wrote:
if only KI could find a way to make you aware of what other players have full open chat and which ones dont. we know a chat bubble with a line thru it is a no chat person, maybe the use of a specific color for the chat bubble for open chat would help.

Menu chat bubbles are double-lined; text chat bubbles only have a single line around them.

Block/Ignore is the tool to deal with text/menu bullies; no need to report them but the option is open if they are attempting to slide cuss words past the filter.

Tactical bullying (join and flee) is unfortunate, but Life will never be completely fair. The game cannot protect you from every action a jerk out there might take. My advice: Simply put them on ignore and then switch realms. May have to teach your kiddo how to do that, and that's a shame, but it is very useful tool and you are teaching them to fend for themselves in a place where the price for missing just isn't that high.

All in all, the system works really well.

LOL. I just remembered, the first time I reported someone, I had just read the rules. Or should I say, misread them. The rules specifically listed the thing as something to not report people for, but thinking it said we should, I did. Got my wrist slapped -- lovingly, gently, and with polite reference to the very rules I had just misread -- for that one LOL.

The filters are frustrating, and I wish the filtered words showed up in something us old-timers could actually see (yellow vs white -- really? Can anyone over 40 actually see that? LOL), but all in all this has, and continues to expand while remaining, a most excellent kid-safety tool.

Kudos to KI again.


Survivor
Nov 18, 2010
2
My Dad, who was 86 years old, loved this game. He passed away 9/10/2011. Wizard101 was the first thing he thought of when he got up in the morning, the second thing was his first cup of coffee. He played this game everyday nearly all day. Thank you for creating this wonderful world where he could run and play with magic.

Survivor
Jun 22, 2011
9
Curiousluke11 wrote:
This sexual talk is quite common in wizard city, I have seen it millions of times, but ever since I got a wrning I have been a little bit stricter about reporting, I just dont feel too safe doing it after paying for the game, also parties seem to be a big hot spot for bad talking. If you go to raven wood I will bet a million dollars saying there is at least one wizard that is a free member that is saying "PARTY AT ICE TOWER! GET A GIRL OR A BOY!"... so could something be at least done with parties? Or at least checked out to see what I mean?


The biggest hot spot I have noticed is the commons, it is like a dating game ther lol. I dont report anymore, I have had encounters with some very strange players, so much that they really scared me. When i reported them, they immediately reported me, out of retaliation...can you believe that? Since I pay for this game yearly, I am not taking a risk of losing my account. Worse, is I avoid commons like the plague, I fly through there with one of my crown mounts or something crown only and expensive, I get chased through wizard city by kids begging me to buy them something with crowns, or give them crowns. I've even had to shew off some kid saying that she is poor and her parents are seperated and blah blah blahh. I told her "everyone is poor, get a job and leave me alone. 'It is absurd. what bothers me more is though i am an adult, I wanted o play a game that was drama free and be able to converse with people that could keep it pg rated or lower. The drama and explicit convo on other games was getting annoying, but that is all I have been getting here, drama and innapropriate convo from people young enough to be my children, lol. Honestly, when I have my own younglings, should they choose to play this game someday, I will be watching over them like a hawk. Aside from that, when I just play, I have fun. But I seriously wish the drama and expectations of crown hand outs would stop.

Survivor
Jun 09, 2010
3
hello i have some thing to ask you guys one of my friends ported to me in my sultans palace and he used my lamp i asked him what did he get he said some a pet some it hatched and it was a krok he did not have one so that was good for him but does some one have a list of items from the genie