Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizardly chatting

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Oct 15, 2010
315
soniciscoll6559 wrote:
I guess there are a few holes in the chat system.

People avoiding chat filter is seen every single time. I don't think I should put any examples.
Complex words should not be blocked or what's it called.
The word 'Noob' has been said a bunch in PvP and causes arguments on the forum/message boards. I guess you should remove the word 'Noob' or any other words related.

I don't think I should be talking about the report system here, but it has holes
as well. When I want to report someone for breaking some rules or even one rules, I am not able to type it fully. I want to post at least a sentence about what they did.

Mycin RainTail - Magus Diviner (Level 32 Storm)



I agree. I don't understand why you can only type "they said a bad word" you can't give context, anything that has happened between you and them before, and it gets very annoying.

A+ Student
Feb 25, 2009
1527
soniciscoll6559 wrote:
I guess there are a few holes in the chat system.

People avoiding chat filter is seen every single time. I don't think I should put any examples.
Complex words should not be blocked or what's it called.
The word 'Noob' has been said a bunch in PvP and causes arguments on the forum/message boards. I guess you should remove the word 'Noob' or any other words related.

I don't think I should be talking about the report system here, but it has holes
as well. When I want to report someone for breaking some rules or even one rules, I am not able to type it fully. I want to post at least a sentence about what they did.

Mycin RainTail - Magus Diviner (Level 32 Storm)



There is really no need to post a sentence in the report box. The fewer words used the faster it processes. All you really need are a couple of words such as "foul language", "cursing around filter", "Personal information" or "asking/giving account info". KI looks at the chat log beginning before the report was made to what was said following the report. The reports give KI the location of the infraction so there is no need to expand on the report.

Delver
Apr 11, 2012
207
vaneairdbe wrote:
soniciscoll6559 wrote:
I guess there are a few holes in the chat system.

People avoiding chat filter is seen every single time. I don't think I should put any examples.
Complex words should not be blocked or what's it called.
The word 'Noob' has been said a bunch in PvP and causes arguments on the forum/message boards. I guess you should remove the word 'Noob' or any other words related.

I don't think I should be talking about the report system here, but it has holes
as well. When I want to report someone for breaking some rules or even one rules, I am not able to type it fully. I want to post at least a sentence about what they did.

Mycin RainTail - Magus Diviner (Level 32 Storm)



I agree. I don't understand why you can only type "they said a bad word" you can't give context, anything that has happened between you and them before, and it gets very annoying.


I know! The chat system has some very annoying holes in it that need to be covered up. :x :x :x :x I'm not so jumpy over the noob thing though (probably cause i'm not sensitive)


Defender
Jan 01, 2009
127
When you submit a report, Kings Isle can check a couple of hours before and after the time of the report for violations of Terms Of Service. All you need to input is simply what they did. Swearing/cursing around filter racial slur or any other egregious violation. They will take it from there. Rest assured, they talk softly, but they carry a Big sanction stick. And they use it when needed. Just be careful to avoid "false reports" like being called noob or something. That is not reportable. If that word is removed from the lexicon, the rude players would just find another word to use in its place.

Michael Nightgem lvl 64 Necromancer

Survivor
Apr 04, 2010
2
starwarsfan1122334... wrote:

Now how do you get text chat? I am on lvl 9 and i can't seem to get it? Why don't i have it?

Thank You :-o

You get text chat when your 13+ or, you can get membership and go into my accounts and change the filtered chat settings. Thats what i did :) Taylor AnvilBlood level 32 Magus Fire Wizard

Survivor
May 06, 2009
3
if they make another world they need to make stronger armor than the WW armor and make it easier to get

Survivor
Mar 06, 2010
4
I know your not supposed to tell your age so when you type in a number it comes up red. But I do think that if a wizard does this sentence, "I'm on level 36." The number shouldn't come up red, because players are simply trying to tell each other what level they are on.

Survivor
May 25, 2009
8
To be completely honest, while I do commend the great effort put into the chat filters, it is just a little overboard. At least for those older, more mature players out there. I only just recently returned to Wizard101 after an elongated break (Nearly a year, if not more), and when I came back, I hoped for a big update with the chat. I was unfortunately disappointed. Although I'm not surprised; I'm one person, I can't have my specific dreams come true in this kind of situation.

What bothers me the most is the requirements for Open Chat. When I looked at the requirements for the first time, I was happy to see them, I thought they were commendable. As I read them over a few more times, I slowly see how honestly unfair (for lack of a better word) the rule of "You must be 18+, No Exceptions." Obviously, there are always going to be kids from ages 14 to 17 that play this game (like myself) and are nearly tortured by this chat system, because they are unable to use the Open Chat.

What I am suggesting, is for there to be some sort of test, for accounts over the age of 14, to test their online maturity. Now, obviously, unless you made some impossibly perfect test/system, there will always be people who work around it. But it would appease the minds of so many of those more mature players that are just unfortunate enough to not meet the age requirement.

I, and everybody else here on the Forum, are paying customers, we would rather not have to deal with painfully unnecessary chat filters when talking to other Friends and True Friends.

Of course, chances are this will just be another suggestion blown over. It might get a serious reply or two, but in the end, will not be implemented, because the final decision will be that "No Exceptions" will be a better solution.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
711
HI @Timebender,

I suggest that you read the forum conversations that document the current problems with chat in the Great Spiral. We are overrun with naughty wizards who insist on fouling the common areas of the game with cursing, sexual references, and other offensive language. The last thing we need right now is to loosen the chat regulations.

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/275/50589.ftl#295803

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/49378.ftl#275976

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/50/52313.ftl

There are several other posts on this topic of egregious violations of the chat filters.

One question: What sort of words do you need to say that are not allowable in open chat? In my experience, the only words that are filtered at that level are words that no one needs to say to play in the Spiral. I suggest that you use an alternate means of communicating such information, if you absolutely need to speak of adult topics while playing in the Spiral. There are several voice and text IM systems out there, as I'm sure you know.

Please consider that this is a family game, populated by many children, moms, and dads, and we really don't want to see adult conversations in game. We pay to play here because it is guaranteed to be appropriate and SAFE for our children.

You may also want to read the Terms of Use:

https://www.wizard101.com/game/termsofuse

This post from Professor Greyrose further explains the in-game rules:

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/52195.ftl

I hope this information helps you to understand why the chat filters are in place.

Happy Reading,

Qbb

Survivor
May 25, 2009
8
@queenlybluebean

Thank you for that.

However, I am in no way asking for the filter to be loosened, I know that children should not have the capabilities of giving away personal information, use crude language, and the like. I know that kids and adults are always looking for a time to look "high and mighty" by using higher vocabulary and crude language (Even I do sometimes. Not here, obviously, because I know that children play, and that would be extremely rude.) I am merely asking for a chance for those middle-aged players that know better and really do not need the filter. It's not even like I or a huge portion of similar students even need to speak of "Adult topics", it just bothers us immensely when we can't mention any sort of in-game statistic, misspell words (not entirely sure if that is "allowed" in Open Chat either, but that wouldn't be too horrible.), or even just use numbers in general. Another problem is the inability to use prefixes to many, if not all, words, such as "re-" or "un-". The filter not only does good by taking out crude language, it also severely hinders even the most basic of conversations, making it brutally difficult to communicate sometimes.

You did make a good point of "What sort of words do you need to say that are not allowable in open chat?" Well, I'm not entirely sure, seeing as I do not have access to it, therefore I am unable to come to that conclusion.

And I have actually read the Terms of Use, I'm one of the few people that will even dare to look at it, because many people are just too lazy to read the walls of text.

Again, thank you for replying and giving your feedback, I've gone through the links and see exactly where you are coming from. I know there are always going to be some persistent wizard that has no intent on following rules. Because the way they see it: Rules were meant to be broken.

Which, obviously, is not true.

Survivor
Aug 09, 2012
14
Many of you all have great remarks, But as a Teenager, My sense of Humour Is.. Different. I Don't like to be around the wrong crowd. I.E:
Unicorn way. A Bunch of immature Archmage (A Life, Fire, And Ice,)
Were sitting there on panthers. Saying EXTREMELY Inappropriate things.
I was stunned. The Filters are fine. and another thing.

Most children now want text chat to "be cooler than michael" <-- XD
But. They end up Saying something they shouldn't and get a Ban.

Something needs to be done about the Age. Some people Set false ages from the start. so they can get, Open chat.

My friend. Kayla life-song. She's 13. and she has open chat. because she changed her age a few months ago

Another Story:

At a Friends home. (Seth) It was a Party. At a Sun Palace.

Seth announced: "I need a girl!"

Then another girl (Brittany) Said "Sure Seth, i'll date ya ;)

And in a while I went inside. and saw them with their avatars together. seth messaged me and said. He was having "Hex" .

That Needs to be cut out.

But otherwise everything is great
!! GJ W101




Survivor
May 09, 2009
4
I've been a member of Wizard101 for a very long time (years) and with just one exception, I find this game to be totally engrossing, fulfilling and enjoyable. The exception is chatting and the words that are used. In the beginning, I used to thoroughly enjoy hanging out around the Commons conversing with other wizards. Now, I can't stand it at all. There is too much sexual innuendo by what I assume are the younger wizards as most, if questioned, admit to not being members. I have scolded some for their language as the grandmother I am and I have been told off in very rude terms. I admit I am not your "target" member, being 56 years young. And I also know that children are a bit different now than they were a few years ago. But, respect is still respect, for each other and themselves. The very first word I would like to removed from open chat is Noob and all variations of it. There is so much bullying going on in our schools today. Calling someone a Noob is no different than calling someone a Fatty or any other term that would set someone apart as different in a negative way. Please remove this word from open chat. Many of these young people build their avatars to look strong and beautiful when in real life they are not that way. They escape into these games to be someone special. They don't need to be put down in a fantasy world when the real world is tough enough! Then I would also ask that a separate realm be established for members only over the age of 21. Perhaps that would allow those of us who are at least a little more mature to be able to converse together. Also, I would love to be a Moderator for you.

Sarai Dreamgiver lvl 57 fire
Alura Wildheart lvl 33 storm
Darby Daydreamer lvl 29 life
Rowan Winterheart lvl 21 ice
Scarlett Mythtamer lvl 20 myth
Nora Shadowcaster lvl 17 death

Survivor
Dec 29, 2009
15
Himunchy wrote:
I've been a member of Wizard101 for a very long time (years) and with just one exception, I find this game to be totally engrossing, fulfilling and enjoyable. The exception is chatting and the words that are used. In the beginning, I used to thoroughly enjoy hanging out around the Commons conversing with other wizards. Now, I can't stand it at all. There is too much sexual innuendo by what I assume are the younger wizards as most, if questioned, admit to not being members. I have scolded some for their language as the grandmother I am and I have been told off in very rude terms. I admit I am not your "target" member, being 56 years young. And I also know that children are a bit different now than they were a few years ago. But, respect is still respect, for each other and themselves. The very first word I would like to removed from open chat is Noob and all variations of it. There is so much bullying going on in our schools today. Calling someone a Noob is no different than calling someone a Fatty or any other term that would set someone apart as different in a negative way. Please remove this word from open chat. Many of these young people build their avatars to look strong and beautiful when in real life they are not that way. They escape into these games to be someone special. They don't need to be put down in a fantasy world when the real world is tough enough! Then I would also ask that a separate realm be established for members only over the age of 21. Perhaps that would allow those of us who are at least a little more mature to be able to converse together. Also, I would love to be a Moderator for you.

Sarai Dreamgiver lvl 57 fire
Alura Wildheart lvl 33 storm
Darby Daydreamer lvl 29 life
Rowan Winterheart lvl 21 ice
Scarlett Mythtamer lvl 20 myth
Nora Shadowcaster lvl 17 death
yes indeed it is very good game i am really happy that kingisle made wizard101 i so cant wait for pirate101 i bet it well be twice as amazing as wizard101 i so cant wait oh and will pirate101 be coming out????

Explorer
Feb 13, 2011
90
smartest mr lincon, may i suggest an IP ban system? it prevents those who ban evade from returning as easily. I end up effected by an IP ban system whenever im on the game platform racing 2 on kongregate, whenever i have a huge rage

Survivor
Aug 02, 2012
10
Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
7
Hey guys I dont know if I am in the right area for this but I recently redeemed a 10$ card and I filled in all the information that I had to and I clicked redeem and the redeem button didnt work I refreshed the page checked all my information still didnt work. I even emailed Kingslisle and its been 3-4 days and they havent replied, and when I tried typing in the code for the card again it said "sorry this code has been typed incorrectly please type in a different one and try again" Please someone help me I really want my crowns

Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
7
Mr Lincoln wrote:
Hello Students!

I'd like to take a moment and offer a friendly reminder that ALL filtered chat is monitored and every report of misconduct is thoroughly investigated.

The faculty at Ravenwood has made allowances in the chat filter to offer a measure of open communication between wizards, and we believe that Ravenwood students are quite capable of using the chat system appropriately.

Please note, however, that any attempt to circumvent the filter or engage in improper dialogue can result in the loss of filtered chat privileges or full suspension from school (this includes exchanging of personal information, harassment of other wizards or other inappropriate dialogue*).

Also, those students that choose to harass other players by issuing false reports will be dealt with directly as well.

Wizard101 is a game for all to enjoy and you doing your part to keep Wizard City and all the other worlds a wizard-friendly place is sincerely appreciated by the faculty and fellow wizards!

Thank you for your time students! Back to your studies!

* Refer to Terms of Use for further detail


Hi Mr. Lincoln truly sorry to bother you but this is the only way I could get to talk to someone who can help me since Kingsisle hasnt replied for 5 days I recently got 10$ w101 card for my self I typed it in filled in all the info, the redeem button didnt work so I refreshed the page made sure all my info was correct and tried it again once again it didnt work I emailed Kings Isle they haven't replied for for days. I really need some help please if you could help me I would really appreaciate that

-Thanks so much 123co

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
711
123co wrote:
Hey guys I dont know if I am in the right area for this but I recently redeemed a 10$ card and I filled in all the information that I had to and I clicked redeem and the redeem button didnt work I refreshed the page checked all my information still didnt work. I even emailed Kingslisle and its been 3-4 days and they havent replied, and when I tried typing in the code for the card again it said "sorry this code has been typed incorrectly please type in a different one and try again" Please someone help me I really want my crowns


Hi,

You should post a new message in Halston's Laboratory.

Otherwise, follow up on the support ticket you have already submitted. KI is usually pretty good at resolving such problems.

Good luck,

Qbb

Survivor
Dec 27, 2010
44
gibberish on Jan 21, 2009 wrote:
As a parent of 5, whom is playing this prior to letting the younger kids play, I am quite pleased with the chat system. It takes very little effort to replace a word or 2 if another word has a similar spelling to a profane word.

The primary reason for signing up was this chat system.
well technically you have to be at least 10 to play but i know some people are a lot younger. i have gotten a whisper or (private chat) saying that i said something not allowed and their are younger kids. i asked how that was my problem but then the KI person kept talking about safety and stuff :P

Survivor
Dec 27, 2010
44
Haitchi on Feb 16, 2009 wrote:
It is slightly frustrating with the numbers being filtered, however like somebody else already stated, it keeps children(who probably don't know any better) from giving out personal information as a telephone number or address. I think it also keeps random people from giving each other true friend codes. We wouldn't want a predator getting true friend capabilities with a child.

A suggestion I would say about it; players age 13 and under only get text chat from parent's permission(already in place). players 14 and to 17 get text chat without parents permission. Players 18 and up get full access to chat minus those explicit words and numbers in a sequence of address or telephone information should be blocked as well.

Also, think we can get the option to turn off receiving friend invites? It is rather frustrating to be running down a street and having somebody spam me with friend invites as I'm trying to dodge a group of monsters. It would be a little easier for me to pick who I make friends with.
there is already a button for that! and you CAN choose who you are friends with! ever here of the "no" button on friend requests?! xd

Survivor
Dec 27, 2010
44
Haitchi on Feb 16, 2009 wrote:
It is slightly frustrating with the numbers being filtered, however like somebody else already stated, it keeps children(who probably don't know any better) from giving out personal information as a telephone number or address. I think it also keeps random people from giving each other true friend codes. We wouldn't want a predator getting true friend capabilities with a child.

A suggestion I would say about it; players age 13 and under only get text chat from parent's permission(already in place). players 14 and to 17 get text chat without parents permission. Players 18 and up get full access to chat minus those explicit words and numbers in a sequence of address or telephone information should be blocked as well.

Also, think we can get the option to turn off receiving friend invites? It is rather frustrating to be running down a street and having somebody spam me with friend invites as I'm trying to dodge a group of monsters. It would be a little easier for me to pick who I make friends with.
well technically the game is ten and up and odds are, by then they have been educated on this kind of thing. the "young audience" should know as well........

Survivor
Jun 28, 2012
6
Ya i love this game but sometimes people can be mean (though very rare, super rare for me) what should i do? if i report them im afraid they might report me back. and i love this game and i dont want to be banned from it. that would be HORRIBLE!!! any advise?

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
2721
DragonLover134 on Oct 23, 2012 wrote:
Ya i love this game but sometimes people can be mean (though very rare, super rare for me) what should i do? if i report them im afraid they might report me back. and i love this game and i dont want to be banned from it. that would be HORRIBLE!!! any advise?
The comments from Prospector Zeke in this link might answer your questions:

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/messageBoard/listPosts/game/28843

(Note: there is a problem on the Message Boards and sometimes you cannot "click" on a link to see it. You must actually "copy and paste" the link to see it. They are working on this problem.)

If you have done nothing wrong, it is considered a "false report".

And unless you say something to that person, they have no way of knowing "who" reported them.

Hope this helped.

Survivor
Oct 20, 2012
14
I love Wizard101. There's not one thing that I don't like about it.

-xandrakittiluv3802

Survivor
Aug 25, 2012
1
Mr Lincoln on Dec 2, 2008 wrote:
Hello again students!

I wanted to touch base on this subject and the act of using the report function to let us know about players that do find ways to violate the filtered chat system we have in place.

It is important to remember that we take false reporting just as seriously as we do using inappropriate language. Please be careful and make sure that you only use this button when you witness a player using bad language.

Thank you!
Yes it is very important to say good things and not to say bad words