Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The brilliant "easter eggs" in Wizard101

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 25, 2010
A minion in Khrysalis - I think it's in the Solar Arc. She was an Ice minion called Adele Dazeem, referring to when John Travolta got Idina Menzel's name wrong in the Oscars.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
This game never ceases to amaze me. As I play through the different worlds of the spiral I keep coming across cleverly obscure references to pop culture. While questing in Azteca, I was tasked with rescuing an NPC named Kathleen Wilder, a novelist from Marleybone who had been taken captive by a nefarious character who had lured her to his lair by tempting her with a fabulous gem. This is obviously a reference to the character Joan Wilder, a best selling novelist played by Kathleen Turner in the movies Romancing the Stone and The Jewel of the Nile.

Survivor
Oct 20, 2012
Ok i thaught like on easter or christams there could be special spells that you can collect by an event quest like new customes on the spells fire alf/imp? with christmas clothes instead of the normal clothes. Or a special shadow spell like santa come's on his sledge down from sky he jumps of it and take his big bag he looks in it like if he gonna give the enemy a present but than he take out a big ice pin and throw it at the enemy the smaller ice pin the lower damage ? just an idea. for easter eggs and stuff (this card will be permanently and not a treasure cards i mean when i wrote this)

Survivor
May 16, 2015
In Marleybone "The Professor" is Doctor Who, but whats really cool is if you look at his telephone booth, theres a paper with tiny remarks (you kinda have to be in front of the telephone booth to glitch your camera to see the paper)

Explorer
Dec 11, 2009
In Avalon;

The Jabberwock (and some quests leading up to it.) is a reference to the poem Jabberwock.(I forget if theres a y on the end or not. Oh well)

And the quest: 'Twas Brillig.

Sorry if this was posted already.

Survivor
Oct 07, 2013
I looked back quite a few pages and didn't see this one. The
Darkmoor Death Spell is an exact copy of the H.P. Lovecraft creature in a number of his books. He even looks the same. Only difference, like many of the Eggs here, is a slight change in spelling.

Survivor
Mar 06, 2015
Doctor Jackall and Mr. Hound.
Jekyll/Hyde. My favorite reference.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
The Brainy Assistant pet from the new Terror's Hoard pack is holding a jar with a brain in it. The brain is labeled Abby N.

This is an obvious reference to the movie Young Frankenstein. In the movie, the brain that Igor gets for Dr. Frankenstein to use for the monster is from someone he refers to as "Abby Normal" - abnormal.

Delver
Jun 29, 2011
In Khrysalis - The Hive, there is a side-quest called "A Voice for the Silent". It is given by Jhae AskewedView, and you must defeat Interrogator Retenius to rescue Bawb AskewedView. This is a reference to the characters Jay and Silent Bob from the movies written and directed by Kevin Smith, who co-founded View Askew Productions and also played Silent Bob in his movies.

Wolf Windrider

Survivor
May 04, 2011
I think in Grizzleheim it was, there was a quest called "Immigrant Song"

Explorer
Sep 26, 2013
I just discovered in the Baddle of the Bands that Cyn D' Lobster has Goonies as minions which is great because she sings the ending theme song "The goonies are good enough for me" at the end of the movie "The Goonies".

Survivor
Sep 19, 2010
I have a LOT of favorites! Starting with Darkmoor. It's obviously based on either Transylvania OR it's Video Game counterpart, Castlevania.

Why do I propose this? Allow me to explain. It's well over obvious that Count Dracula is in the Castlevania games and that Shane von Shane is supposed to be reference to Dracula (However, I think Vlad von Shane, whoever he is, will give him a run for his money).

In the Dracula novel, Renfield is mentioned. Renfield Flygob is the Herald of Castle Darkmoor, so we have the literary reference, but now allow me to turn your attention to Sir Blackwater. He was hired to rid Darkmoor of Shane von Shane. Sounds a lot like Simon Belmont from Castlevania, but not really Simon himself but someone in the Belmont clan that has been infatuated with someone and was the downfall to his defeat by a Vampire.

Next egg, Khrulhu and the Deep Spawn. Awesome reference to the "Call of Cthulhu" by H.P. Lovecraft. I am currently working on a Wizard Theory for it though if there's more to Khrulhu than a simple egg ;)

Next is Dr. Katzenstein and his Monster. Obviously the earliest Frankenstein reference in W101 :P Speaking of his monster, I also loved the Bobby Pickett reference of the "Monster Mash". If anyone wondered why it beguiles people after a hit, read the lyrics of "Monster Mash". It's all in there ;)

Survivor
Sep 19, 2010
MINI Beaster on Mar 27, 2015 wrote:
Krokotopia = Egypt
Marlybone = England
Mooshu = Japan
Celestia = Atlantis (I think)
Zafaria = Africa
Avalon = King Arthur's kingdom

Then the rest would probably be KI originals.
Darkmoor = Transylvania
Azteca = Aztec Civilization

And I always thought that Khrysalis had some ties with Germany. I don't know why...

Survivor
Sep 19, 2010
I don't know if anyone noticed this but in Azteca, you come across a parrot that required you to retrieve the beak of Zam Two-Cans. A funny reference of Toucan Sam. This is supported by the Quest Title: Follow your Nose.

And then there's the infamously popular internet meme, Philosoraptor. ;)

Survivor
Sep 19, 2010
I can't help myself... There's another one that popped into my mind. Two references of Batman. One of them is "The Dark Knight" who happens to be a Death Boss (I think) in Avalon's Caer Lyon. Then the pet talent "The Deer Knight Rises" is based on the movie "The Dark Knight Rises".

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
Surprisingly I didn't see this little reference mentioned.

In Khrysalis, there is a little bee named Ozzy. He sends you on a side quest to gather pollen from a field that is full of bats that nearly bit off his head. I busted out in laughter when I heard the dialog.

For those of you who don't get the correlation it is because Ozzy Osbourne once bit the head off a bat.

Also in the Kondha Dessert there is a side quest where you fight Evandyr Halfear (Evander Holyfield). During the fight he brings out his minions, Ali Left Jab, Rocky Right Hook, and Tyson Upper Cut. (All references to boxers).

Survivor
Mar 03, 2011
Don't know if this one was mentioned already but the Myth spell Humongofrog is actually a reference to an indian tribe's version of The Great Flood story. In which a frog drinks all the water in the world and then throws it all up.

Survivor
Dec 11, 2013
There is a frozen reference in Khrysalis! I thought it was hilarious. It's basically in the solar arc when you go into the ice chamber. The boss does the whole "Let it go" song except he doesn't sing it.

Explorer
Sep 27, 2014
(For some reason, my previous post wasn't posted.) so the beginning here doesn't make sense. I'll repost without the YT link?

Oh, the Ice quest above is a quest called "The Fourth Professor". It is therefore appropriate that the paraphrased monologue is from a Fourth Doctor adventure, as is the final boss.

Next: Fire.
* The first half of this questline is called "The Third Professor". So accordingly all of the references are from Third Doctor adventures.
* The first half contains many of the references to Peladon as mentioned above (as do all seven schools, I guess).
* The second half includes a battle with Axos Ghostmane, in which you must free your minion from the Claws of Axos, which happens to be the name of a Third Doctor adventure.
* At the end, the Professor starts to say something about "reverse the polarity", which is a trademark phrase of the Third Doctor.
* Also at the end, as with the Ice quest, the Professor gives a monologue: "Courage isn't just a matter of not being frightened, you know. It's being afraid and doing what you must, at any cost." This is an almost direct quote from the Third Doctor adventure "Planet of the Daleks".

Explorer
Sep 27, 2014
The lvl75 Storm minion is given through a questline called The Seventh Professor. Therefore, 7th Doctor references:

* "Time travel, we keep meeting in the wrong order." - Actually a reference to the Doctor's adventures with River Song.
* "Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea's getting cold!" This is the last line of the last episode of the classic series, uttered by - of course - the Seventh Doctor.
* "High drama, inflamed passions, and everyday nonsense rolled into one!" doesn't seem to be a description of the above-mentioned quote from a list titled "Ten of the Doctor’s Most Memorable Catchphrases".

Explorer
Sep 27, 2014
Death School lvl75 minion - quest is "The Second Professor".

* "Just one question, wizard. Why do you want to blow up the world?" Paraphrased from the Second Doctor adventure "The Underwater Menace".
* The big boss is called the Mind Robber, which is the name of a Second Doctor adventure.
* "Have faith, wizard. Have I ever led you astray? Other than that one time..." This is a paraphrase of the Second Doctor from the anniversary special "The Five Doctors":
DOCTOR 2: That is why we are here. Have faith, Brigadier. Have I ever led you astray?
BRIGADIER: On many occasions.
DOCTOR 2: Yes, well, this will be the exception. Come along.

Explorer
Sep 27, 2014
lvl75 Life minion quest - "The Fifth Professor":

* "I see we've both had a face lift since we last met." - actually a reference to "The Deadly Assassin", a Fourth - not Fifth - Doctor adventure.
* Immediately thereafter: "Well I'd never have guessed it. You look in the best of health." Taken from the Fifth Doctor adventure "Four To Doomsday":
LIN FUTU: Greetings.
DOCTOR: Greetings.
LIN FUTU: I am Lin Futu.
DOCTOR: Well, I'd never have guessed it. You look in the best of health to me.
LIN FUTU: Thank you.
* "You know how it is. You put things off for a day, and next thing you know it's a hundred years earlier." That's slightly paraphrased from the Fifth Doctor story "Arc of Infinity" (except he says "later" instead of "earlier").

Explorer
Sep 27, 2014
The lvl75 myth minion quest: "The Sixth Professor".

* The final boss Warlord Varos is a reference to the Sixth Doctor story "The Vengeance of Varos".
* "Tomorrow, prudence will be our watchword. Today, I shall soak the land in blood!" A paraphrase from the Sixth Doctor adventure "Mindwarp". (The original switches "tomorrow" and "today".)
* "Worlds come and go. Stars perish, matter disperses, coalesces, reforms into other patterns... Nothing can be eternal." This is a direct quote from the Sixth Doctor adventure "The Mysterious Planet".
* Immediately after that: "Sorry, I was thinking of someone else." That is a reference to the very first line uttered by the Sixth Doctor, immediately after his regeneration: "You're expecting someone else?"

Explorer
Sep 27, 2014
The lvl75 balance minion quest - The First Professor:

* "Are you ready to embark? It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I can tell you what it will be: Fantastic!" This is a paraphrase from a promo (commercial) aired ahead of the new series of Doctor Who in 2005, so actually the Ninth Doctor, not the First: "Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do then I should warn you, you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past; Aliens from the future; the day the Earth died in a ball of flame; It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: the trip of a lifetime."
* The final boss, Keeper Yartek, is named after a character in the First Doctor adventure "The Keys of Marinus".
* "You wizards are loud and ugly!" is paraphrased from the First Doctor adventure "The Sensorites": "These creatures, these Earth people, are loud and ugly things."
* "We've seen some times" - Actually the Brigadier says this to the Second Doctor in "The Five Doctors".

Explorer
Sep 27, 2014
OK, my first post didn't quote, probably because I linked to a (completely inoffensive, child-appropriate and properly licensed) YT video that shows the source of the reference. Ah well.

First of all, ALL SEVEN lvl75 minion quests send you to the Tower of Peladon to find the Globe of Peladon, which refers to a pair of Third Doctor stories - "The Curse of Peladon" and "The Monster of Peladon".

The lvl75 Ice minion quest - The Fourth Professor:
* The Five Hundred Day diary is a reference to The Doctor's five hundred year diary (which several Doctors reference, including the fourth).
* The final boss is the Horned Nimon, referring to the Fourth Doctor adventure "The Horns of Nimon". Unfortunately, the characters here pronounce it "Nee-mon", whereas the original pronunciation is "Nye-Mon" (rhymes with "No Woman No Cry", mon. )
* "Wizards. What an inventive, invincible peoplpe. You've survived flood, famine, plague, wars. You're indomitable. Indomitable!" This is a paraphrase of the famous Fourth Doctor speech from "The Ark In Space":
"Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only a few million years since they've crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenceless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts, and now here they are amongst the stars, waiting to begin a new life, ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable. Indomitable!"