Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Final Word on Enchanted Treasure Card Trading

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
399
hey nightcrawler1212, there is a problem with only using one school: the instant you hit a boss of that school, you're sunk. which is where secondary schools and treasure cards come in.
the best treasure cards were, natch, enchanted. powerful, but you had to earn them. get some equally powerful cards to trade.

boom. not there anymore.

hey conorjak7, dont call level 30's WEAK! i have EARNED 34 levels, and i have EARNED the right to get powerful cards. in fact, anyone and everyone who gets to level, say, 28? has earned it. what gets people is the under-15 bolters... but heck, just ban the cards in the arena. i have gone over this before.

hey, hey, hey... i notice that barely any of the people agreeing with this are listing reasons it is GOOD. heh.

would SOMEONE from FACULTY get ON?!? it's such a helephantine issue! let's hear some more exc- er, explanations.

and another thing we could do instead is have level restrictions in the ARENA only. unless you're level 30+, you can't use cards usually gotten in the 30's. 20+ for the 20's. get it? good.

Delver
Sep 26, 2009
229
I have kept playing and it still is very fun, partly because i don't pvp much, but now what, i have all these cards i said i would give people, etc: my friend gave me 5 storm lord and i said when i reach lvl 48 i would give then 5 scarecrow, well they haven't been on for a while but now i cant trade them the cards even if they are. Another thing, in the arena, people say "don't sue treasure cards" well how would we know if they aren't using ones of the same school. I have i think 3 giant cards (+150? damage) well if i were to use that on say my skeletal pirate O. o, well what would happen? I still have a ton of treasure cards (around 400 to be precise on ONE wizard) and i used to just give them to my friends :D. i hope you will reconsider this.

IDK but i not sure any one from faculty is gonna ever get on...... The thread is called "Last word on treasure card trading"

Explorer
Apr 12, 2010
61
Hey, I never said I totally disagreed on every person who defended trading cards, I understand some people.. Maybe you could EARN treasure cards from various quests but have to be a certain level if it wasn't your same school? Like housing for instance, it says you "Must be level 15 or higher to buy this" and so on so forth. Maybe in the next update, this could be an idea? And also treasure cards couldn't be allowed in arenas unless they where LOWER levels, (20 and below.) I certainly thought that ranked and also practice was supposed to be for strategy and teamwork. Now some people just use it to be popular and to be a show off also. I am actually a younger player in this game. And some posts seem to be alarming and shocking to me. :(

Survivor
May 26, 2009
2
I completely agree with their decision.

Thank you, KingsIsle.

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
46
TL4ever wrote:
As I was reading responses to many of the replies, I noticed that many players had a tendency to be a bit harsh on the writer, please be mindful that all age players are submitting their ideas. Please refrain from being rude. My son is only 9 years old and loves to have a voice to the game he loves to play, that is why we live in the USA to allow freedom of opinions but when children of all ages are involved please be cautious of the words you use. This may be just words to you but may devastate a young player. There is a face and a human being behind the words.


TL4ever....I agree that there are way too many rude posts on here and the rudeness in the game is unreal, but that is something no one can control (unfortunately)...I suggest since I too have kids that you read through the posts first and show your child the appropriate comments and if they want to read all of them invoke the "I am MOM" card and tell them no, some of these comments arent meant for you to read.

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
46
Rogtim wrote:
Someone mentioned that many of these complaints are pertaining to pvp. I've pvp'd 3 times in a year and a half, so I'll say nothing about that. My problem with these 'enchanted treasure cards' is this:
My kids are bringing up a death wizard, he is currently level 44 and in The Tower Archives. He is battling some death opponents to get a key. Someone (a level 44 balance guy) pops into the battle, which is usually ok, because of attacking same school is always tough. Now, he brings in another death guy and just passes every turn.
The kids ask why aren't you attacking, and his response is: 'I'm going to use fire dragon and I need pips.' Now, there are a couple of problems with this.
1. He was balance, so he can't use power pips.
2. He has to pass for SEVEN turns to get the pips, meanwhile my kids are taking the hits from all 3 of the death guys.
3. Using a powerful off school spell is pretty lame, damage wise, compared to a fire wizard casting the same spell, and usually doesn't even rate a 'nice' comment.

We didn't have a chance to see if he ever cast his dragon, the kids had lucky cards that day and with 3 prisms, a couple of wraiths and vampires, took care of them before the other guy even got to 7 pips.

This has happened to them and myself as well on numerous occasions.


Oh yeah, there was notification that the trading of enchanted trading cards was coming to an end, you merely had to read the KI message, or look at ANY of the fansites! That information was made available the day the test realm opened for the pet pavilion!

Rogan Firehammer




Rogan, regarding your last aragraph.. I know that some information is posted on fansites and on here, but when I go to play the game I use the desktop icon and play the game, not go to different fansites and to this site first. That is why it would have made more sense for KI to post changes on the log in page as well. (the page that comes up when using destop icon)

Survivor
Jul 21, 2008
4
FoxFyr wrote:
hey nightcrawler1212, there is a problem with only using one school: the instant you hit a boss of that school, you're sunk. which is where secondary schools and treasure cards come in.
the best treasure cards were, natch, enchanted. powerful, but you had to earn them. get some equally powerful cards to trade.

I have to disagree.
I am a death wizard and the most fun times I have are when I am against another necro; be it PvP or a mob,. or a boss. It makes me plan things a bit more and use more strategy. Sure, I could hit them with some balance or myth spells (balance is my secondary), but where's the fun in that!

I do not disagree with the change.
I do however wish there was a way to actually "dual or tri-class" in this game.
Yes, I love my spells.

Even if there was some kind of restriction, say:
If you are a death school, you cannot learn from life or storm.
If you are a life school, you cannot learn from death or myth.

Further specific delineation/ restriction on certain spells/ expansion in classes seems like a natural progression of game play.

Just a thought.
Thanks for listening :)

Survivor
Aug 07, 2009
9
rozovoeushko wrote:
oh my gosh kingsisle thank you SOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i mean seriously......

one time i was in ranked arena and then i saw this apprentice noob aganist me. i was thinking, wow this is sooooo easy! then when i started battling i killed her a little ( almost killed her! ) then she healed herself after that. i passed some rounds while she got ready like put storm blades on her and etc.

when i was about to kill her i fizzled, then it was her turn. she casted a WILD BOLT ON ME! of course, i died but IT IS AN ICE APPRENTICE! ICE IS THE LAMEST SCHOOL AND AN APPRENTICE IS JUST A NOOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then when we finished the battle she yelled at me this:

HAHA YOU LOOSER YOU LOST BY A NOOB! :-D

then she left. not only my feelings got hurt, i also lost my sergeant badge, which i worked very hard to get it.

Anna Battlecatcher Master of Ice Grandmaster

P. S. sorry i yelled at some parts i was just real MAD!



Well first, I dont feel that Ice is a lame school.
It is one of the best for defense getting 3 shields for no mana/pip cost.

I do see why you would think that. Their damage is lower on original attacks and also with the boosts.

The are the Tank of W101.
very high defense but low attack.

That is why there are secondary schools
I suggest Storm as secondary for Ice. Even with the accuracy problems.
fire is also good choice

Being a necromancer myself, of course I am partial to that school.

Then again, it is all a matter of preference style and technique.

Boris Ashdust, Grand Master of Death
Myth is second, Ice (for shields) and Storm.

Survivor
Apr 06, 2010
6
MeCatz wrote:
Thank you for your explaining. This will help myself and others understand.
Thank you so very much :)





hello i have a problem i have at&t high speed dsl and everything was great until i went to my brothers house in the game on a island and it had to load the area and ever since the day i did that it say not responding and takes 2 minutes to load everytime i go through the door and i deleted it completely and re downloaded it and it still does it what can i do to fix this?

Survivor
Jul 12, 2009
20
i cannot join the mutual admiration society that heralds this stopping of card trading.

If we were to look at this from a roleplay perspective, in a school of wizards i could easily see an offensive wizard such as a fire or storm or whatever saying "hey larry life lollypop, i am heading out there into that cold scary world and wondering if you would slap me some of those healing cards to help me on the way", and perhaps larry would say "hey fred the firefiend, that sounds like a great idea, that way you get some heals and you can slap me a dot or nuke that could help me out of a sticky wicket."

Now i can see the other side of it, where we celebrate each classes' individuality, but its not like these cards are making it easy peasy lemon squeezy for people who use them either. if its off class, its costing more pips than you probably want to use. the penalty is huge. casting a 6 or 7 pip spell out of class is so ineffecient, pipwise, that i have rarely done it.

then again, my hours are off hours for the usa, though i live in it, because i am third shift, and it at times i could find noone to "team" with, and my fourth grand, the life guy, had no group spells and doing those quests where you kill fifteen things was unduly enervating to the point of coma.

so i can see both sides, but would have preferred to have to choice of trade. btw, if cards arent meant to be traded...what is the significance of having the trade window?

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
399
Rogtim wrote:
Someone mentioned that many of these complaints are pertaining to pvp. I've pvp'd 3 times in a year and a half, so I'll say nothing about that. My problem with these 'enchanted treasure cards' is this:
My kids are bringing up a death wizard, he is currently level 44 and in The Tower Archives. He is battling some death opponents to get a key. Someone (a level 44 balance guy) pops into the battle, which is usually ok, because of attacking same school is always tough. Now, he brings in another death guy and just passes every turn.
The kids ask why aren't you attacking, and his response is: 'I'm going to use fire dragon and I need pips.' Now, there are a couple of problems with this.
1. He was balance, so he can't use power pips.
2. He has to pass for SEVEN turns to get the pips, meanwhile my kids are taking the hits from all 3 of the death guys.
3. Using a powerful off school spell is pretty lame, damage wise, compared to a fire wizard casting the same spell, and usually doesn't even rate a 'nice' comment.

We didn't have a chance to see if he ever cast his dragon, the kids had lucky cards that day and with 3 prisms, a couple of wraiths and vampires, took care of them before the other guy even got to 7 pips.

This has happened to them and myself as well on numerous occasions.


Oh yeah, there was notification that the trading of enchanted trading cards was coming to an end, you merely had to read the KI message, or look at ANY of the fansites! That information was made available the day the test realm opened for the pet pavilion!

Rogan Firehammer




sooooooo.... your entire argument is based around someone who tried to cast a fire dragon in a tough situation? in other circumstances, your balance wizard's tc could have been the linchpin, clinching your kids' victory. like you yourself said, your kids got lucky.

plus, you can't say that using off school spells is lame as an argument, thats an opinion. besides, the balance person's real problem was that he didn't make a good deck - i have a level 34 balance, ishould know the awesome available boosting spells (oops, opinion).

ps: your math is wrong - he needed to pass for 6 turns, not 7. on the seventh turn, he'd have enough pips to cast firedragon.

to the faculty: i dont care if the original post said you wouldnt getting back to us, you ask us to understand and we clearly dont, so at least TRY to help your SOURCE OF REVENUE. (although it is admittedly way more likely i'd blow it away. . . )

Explorer
Mar 11, 2010
62
For those of you who say to ban these cards only in PvP:
I have a news flash for you. I'm a grandmaster death wizard, and I managed to get through the entire game - here's the surprising part - WITHOUT using a single enchanted treasure card . I'm quite sure it's possible. If you do need enchanted treasures cards to beat the game, rethink your strategy, because there's something wrong with it. The excuse of not being able to kill something because it's of the same school as you is extremely redundant. There's a simple answer to it as well: prisms. Oh yes, there are other strategies to use than enchanted treasure cards. All you need to do is use your brain to figure them out.

Jacob DeathBringer, Grandmaster Necromancer

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
399
mythomagic6 wrote:
For those of you who say to ban these cards only in PvP:
I have a news flash for you. I'm a grandmaster death wizard, and I managed to get through the entire game - here's the surprising part - WITHOUT using a single enchanted treasure card . I'm quite sure it's possible. If you do need enchanted treasures cards to beat the game, rethink your strategy, because there's something wrong with it. The excuse of not being able to kill something because it's of the same school as you is extremely redundant. There's a simple answer to it as well: prisms. Oh yes, there are other strategies to use than enchanted treasure cards. All you need to do is use your brain to figure them out.

Jacob DeathBringer, Grandmaster Necromancer


your turn for a news flash: pvp is the only place enchanted cards are getting misused. and another: i rarely use enchanted cards too, i just trade them. well, tradeD them. i don't need the cards, i just like having them to trade. o and by the way: balance has no prism and balance enemies at high levels can cast elemental shield, so whatcha gonna do?

and i resent your insinuation that i don't use my brain, how do you think i figured out that this was something that other, less drastic measures could solve? HOW DARE YOU, "using one's brain" doesn't mean agreeing with you. my strategy has a last resort: the treasure cards. and seeing as my deck is chock full of powerful cards (judgement, skeletalpirate, spectralblast, etc) i really don't need them. it's a "just in case", always handy, you should get one b/c you apparently don't have one.

o and that wasn't a news flash you gave, nor was the not-using-tcs bit suprising, there had to be some powerful ppl that didn't use them, i just hoped experience would have given you the chance to see the really good points of enchanted tcs with few downsides (the only one i can see is their misuse in the arena, solvable by an in-arena ban. or is that where you use them, to get arena tickets?).

you better get back to this and read this post, it'll explain a lot - like how your logic was incorrect.

to the faculty: quite frankly, i'm disappointed. i thought for sure you would get back to this and see how the argument is a-raging. maybe even see the points that blizzardkid94, lizardlord, Karibdis, me, etc. made and stop to think about them. at least post that you're sorry you got us mad.

Explorer
Apr 12, 2010
61
Wow! This post is still going on? I thought it ended a WAAY long time ago. Its not like treasure cards are gone forever! :? I certainly think this is turning into a argument session about banning enchanted treasure cards. I'd think it would be over. Well, I guess I was wrong...

Survivor
Dec 18, 2008
18
Guys just stop crying and get over it. KI does the best it can with everything and i would like to see you do better. Do you know how much it costs to make changes to the game? A LOT! If you want them to do something some way post your ideas on the problem board before they change it.

And the saying "If everyone is a hero no one is" means that everyone needs something special that you know to lay back on that you know no one else can use. It's a great feeling and you want to get rid of that.

Think before you post plz.

David Stormblade lvl 46 balance
David Boomhaven lvl 50 storm
David Dragonrider lvl 1 life lol

Survivor
Sep 30, 2008
20
i love the change novices using wildbolt in pvp put me off of arena fighting...lol i don't care if i get beat but come on at least put me in a level with my own level then i won't feel so bad...i applaud your decision. oh and if you made money selling enchanted cards im glad you got shut down ...lol. this is not your game to make money selling cards ...go earn it like everyone else...bye :D

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
399
ProfessorGreyrose wrote:


I certainly realize that you may not agree with this decision. Much like a parent sometimes the "right" decision is not necessarily the most popular one. In this case, I recognize that some people will be unhappy with this fix. But as the director of the game, I have to look out for the health of the game as a whole. It's my call to make, and I stand by my decision. You may not agree, but I do hope you will understand."


actually, your second, fourth, and fifth sentences are incorrect.

first off, the "parent" sentence. there is a HUGE difference between parenting and running an MMO. as a parent, your job is to look out for the kid's health and schoolwork, so making them do homework, go to bed at a set time, etc. is right, though not popular. but an MMO has one purpose, to be FUN. ergo, the right decision is always most popular, because then it will help the most people.

next, the "health of the game" sequence. tying in nicely to my last paragraph, the idea of a "healthy" game having downers of this magnitude is, well should be, inconcievable.

finally, it's not totally your call. in fact, the players, who are most affected by these decisions, have the say.

you know, i'm pretty sure a lot of us are bummed out. you don't give us a say, don't give us much heads-up (i will mercifuuly refrain from suggesting you didn't really want us to know - if that were true, it wouldn't be anywhere), and haven't gotten back to the post chain when it's almost 4 pages long. not so merciful anymore, i'll insinuate this: you don't care.

of course, i'll gladly take that back... just get rid of the ban, and use one of the many other methods suggested (i think you, or a fellow faculty member, said something about a level restriction in trades... could be wrong, but i don't think i am). it's social science, not rocket science.

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
399
dcredindy wrote:
Guys just stop crying and get over it. KI does the best it can with everything and i would like to see you do better. Do you know how much it costs to make changes to the game? A LOT! If you want them to do something some way post your ideas on the problem board before they change it.

And the saying "If everyone is a hero no one is" means that everyone needs something special that you know to lay back on that you know no one else can use. It's a great feeling and you want to get rid of that.

Think before you post plz.

David Stormblade lvl 46 balance
David Boomhaven lvl 50 storm
David Dragonrider lvl 1 life lol


hey, go thru the forum and look for where this change was brought to our attention before the actual change. you won't find one place in an easy-to-find area. this thread was started AFTER it was changed.

anywayz, it's not like trading destroyed individuality. you guys are putting it like everyone is in the same school, spending their training points the same way, and everyone gets the same cards. that is so totally untrue that insinuations like that make me sick. no, you would have individuality, you're in different schools, with different secondary schools, and enchanted card hunting was driven by two factors, the "need to have" as a backup for a certain boss/dungeon/area, and personal taste (a balance wizard myself, i love dragons and recently acquired one).

and don't even get me started on your "think before you post", we WERE, that's why we don't like this, we think it's way unfair to ppl who just used the cards on a "need to use" basis.


Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
399
hagalena wrote:
i love the change novices using wildbolt in pvp put me off of arena fighting...lol i don't care if i get beat but come on at least put me in a level with my own level then i won't feel so bad...i applaud your decision. oh and if you made money selling enchanted cards im glad you got shut down ...lol. this is not your game to make money selling cards ...go earn it like everyone else...bye :D


see? SEE? PVP!!!!!!! where they could have just banned them there because that's really where the problem is!!!!!

o btw, the fact that you think i need to "earn $ like everyone else" while people with a lot of crowns are buying thousands of gold at a time (BUYING GOLD, mind) displays the fact that you never played the market. it takes an amount of skill. and anywayz most of the cards i got were enchanted, you can't sell them.
o and it also displays that you only care about your #1, if you can't realize how much it negatively affects ppl.

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
399
MikeStrath wrote:
I want to thank the game designers for this change, changing the game back from where everyone is 'vanilla' to a multitude of assorted flavors, each a unique mix of individual flavors.

I know it will take time for some to get over the shock of actually having to play a class and think about how each school needs to face each challenge. I need to admit that this won't affect me in the least, as I don't use treasure cards for the most part...but if it means that more groups form, especially at the higher levels, it is better for myself...and the game.

I usually define maturity as 'realizing your parents were actually right' and now I guess to add in there 'realizing the game designers.....'

Take care, and again thank you.


we already knew how to play a class, you assume too much. some times you HAVE to use anther school! sometimes that's the position you're put in! the position of the balance wizard in late marleybone onward is exemplary. balance monsters are have high resist to our balance spells, can reduce our attacking power with weakness and blackmantle, put traps on unresisting us, and our spectralblast and hydra are useless, because the balance monsters can put up elementalshield. play THAT school in THAT situation. hey, you could be non-balance and be against your own school. if you put up a prism, they can put up a
-80% shield... and you're sunk. we HAVE to have more schools! and, inevitably, thousands of characters have subpar second schools choices.

as for how you define "maturity", let's see... if a twisted parent told his kid that criminal activity was good, your definition requires the kid to be a criminal. it's what their parent told them!
hmm.. i'd have to define maturity as "the ability to consciously and rationally form and adhere to a set of sensible rules (don't be adulterous, don't steal, protest what you disagree with, do so in a non-violent manner, etc.)". agree?

as a final note: mixing our schools together doesn't make us all the same.

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
399
rozovoeushko wrote:
oh my gosh kingsisle thank you SOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i mean seriously......

one time i was in ranked arena and then i saw this apprentice noob aganist me. i was thinking, wow this is sooooo easy! then when i started battling i killed her a little ( almost killed her! ) then she healed herself after that. i passed some rounds while she got ready like put storm blades on her and etc.

when i was about to kill her i fizzled, then it was her turn. she casted a WILD BOLT ON ME! of course, i died but IT IS AN ICE APPRENTICE! ICE IS THE LAMEST SCHOOL AND AN APPRENTICE IS JUST A NOOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then when we finished the battle she yelled at me this:

HAHA YOU LOOSER YOU LOST BY A NOOB! :D

then she left. not only my feelings got hurt, i also lost my sergeant badge, which i worked very hard to get it.

Anna Battlecatcher Master of Ice Grandmaster

P. S. sorry i yelled at some parts i was just real MAD!



so.. you're thinking this is a good idea... due to ONE incident? look at the big picture, it's harmful.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
794
sephiran7777 wrote:
i don't like this idea... in fact... i HATE this idea! i may just quit playing... I: i demand you fix it!



well, it isnt going to get you anywhere if you do! didnt you here what Mr. Coleman said? he isnt going to change his decision even if you threatened to bomb the commons lol (jk, in case you were getting any ideas) . and if you do quit, you arent going to make a dent in wizard 101's 5 million some players, so you might as well chill out and keep playing, cause you probably will still like it. i personally think this will be a great thing for wizard 101, so thank you so much, KI! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

paul ironflame, level 46 pyromancer, sword saint

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
399
why is it that so many people post that they think this is a good idea... and then don't back it up? i notice that, with no readily evident exceptions, EVERY ONE of the people against the ban has backed it up, a lot of which is relevant. yet, twice now, it has been insinuated that the ppl who are with me in the stance i take are not using their brains. TWICE!
please don't think i'm insinuating that about theopposing argument; i'm just saying, under the circumstances...

and how about this, huh?!? as the debate rages on, with no end in sight, another thing you need crowns for emerges: snack packs. once again, the people with money luck out and the people who are driven by sheer zeal for the game are left out.
i'm getting to the point, wait up. the "overlord set" in the crown shop contains an item with a judgement. so, a level 45 non-balance wizard with no drive, but lots of money can get an infinite-use, 125/pip judgement. mean while, a level 45 non-balance wizard with no money seeking a judgement would have care fully stocked up on cards to trade for a single-use, 100/pip+75 judgement that deals less damage than the overlord on any pip count over 3. and the person seeking to just throw money at the game wins, and the seeker of a (comparatively more) honest trade is sunk. hmph.

will a faculty person get on please? i'm asking nicely, and it's taking effort not to shout... >:I

Delver
Sep 26, 2009
229
Well i havent posted for a while but i guess they wont be changing the rules. If so i wish they would at least let you sell the cards!. Now in a trade, i have 6 stinking pages of cards! Not enchanted! What am i going to do with all my enchanted cards? I mean i guess i could use them but in all i think i have maybe 600 treasure cards rounding down. I really would not like to have to get into battles just to use them. .................... Well i guess its over now. They wont change it, and even though i am not to happy about it, i can still live with it. (I feel reeeeeeeeeally guilty at some times when using my spells) Oh well, my friends want the spells i cant give them but maybe just maybe they will think of a compromise that will make everyone happy?


For all of you people out there who think that i and possubly other people dont see your point of view we/i do. In pvp and outside.

Well i guess i will keep reading this to see if it goes on but maybe it ownt who knows.

Thanks KI, i guess you made some people happy 8| and i know the world isnt fair.

Defender
Mar 07, 2009
109
I to think what you are doing is the right thing. I was making enchanted cards for my other characters...but I am fine with your decision. i will continue to play because I do love this game...
Besides when you use big spells from your secondary school you have to wait for the pips to go up. Kind of a pain...keep up the good work KI