Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Storm Elf

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jun 27, 2014
82
It seems to me quite ridiculous how much negativity there has been over a 2 pip dot for storm - seriously?? it cannot even be enchanted with colossal etc. lets think about this sensibly for a min plz? There is insane bolt while risky can be enchanted can do allot of damage for 2 pips and since moon damage ignores storm shields and yet nobody seems to complain about its usage this much. at no point could i see the storm elf being a ohko without the opponent already being in serious trouble.Storm wizards unless have a ton of converts/able to shrike easily or are particualry spammy have no real way around storm shields all they want is ability to deal with shields nothing more.mutate elf is no reason to vilify storm as op sell. everytime pvp comes up everyone tears into storm and nerfs it as much as possible. If storm was really so strong in pvp it would be a top tier school not the bottom one. Yes it is a powerhouse in team play but not in 1v1, The storm elf mutate tc are so rare its unreal, I dont see how making it more available would cripple pvp in anyway whatsoever. If it was an actual spell being able to be enchanted with collosal or something, perhaps then some of these arguments would be valid but its not in a spell doing 50 + 210 over 3 rounds enchanted snake does more than that geez ppl.

Defender
Jun 12, 2009
141
There is such an easy fix to set storm shields and tower shield spammers. Just no storm has used their brain, summon a water elemental it will use storm spells to take off those shields

Survivor
Aug 23, 2015
7
People, there is a REASON storm doesn't have a dot. It's because of their insane damage. Why would they need a dot when they have insane bolt? Storm would be so incredibly OP becuase no one would be able to shield against their monster damage.

I swear, most of the people complaining about the lack of a DOT really have no idea on how to really play a storm. There are guides online and videos of people playing exalted storm.

PS: Insane and Wild Bolt are your friends when dealing with shields.

Mastermind
Nov 19, 2014
365
kylesar1 on Feb 15, 2015 wrote:
Well, Balance doesn't need a DoT, because the only defense against them is tower shield, which is removed by any hit.

Balance isn't hindered by every school running max shields plus Tower shields, like Storm is.
STORM as stronger school, wouldn't be fair storm wizard they got incase bolt & wild bolt!

beside balance (already as dot use wand drop from morganthe in khrysails) spell card: steal giant

beside dot useless vs life/myth/ice

Mastermind
Nov 19, 2014
365
Eric Stormbringer on Feb 4, 2015 wrote:
Can you tell me the gear your friend uses to achieve 108 pierce?

The reasons the other schools have heals tell me nothing about why storm having one "surpasses it's limits"

Earthquake having charm removal is an example of myth borrowing from storm's specialty. Note that storm has disarm where myth has pierce, storm has cleanse charm where myth has cleanse ward and storm has enfeeble where myth has shatter. Charm removal is the forte of storm while ward removal is the forte of myth.

Accuracy is no longer a problem for any school not just storm.
storm stronger school (why don't spam spell) if spam (get dispel)

why don't use mastery amulet (they know what school & school vs with know school amulet they use)

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
1040
Fire beetle, which also give fire quite an advantage placing tri trap on an op for only 2 pips has to be one of the most common drops in KR. Would seem only fair to me that you could actually farm up some mutate elves, I mean seriously, just because it was released in an earlier world (mooshu) should not make it impossible to obtain.

Survivor
Aug 27, 2015
10
Ethan LegendBlade on Oct 9, 2015 wrote:
There is such an easy fix to set storm shields and tower shield spammers. Just no storm has used their brain, summon a water elemental it will use storm spells to take off those shields
"Just no storm has used their brain."
Seriously?
Water elementals don't even use storm spells. It mostly casts elemental shield, sprite, taunt, and spirit armor, so I have no idea what you are talking about.
Storms have to have skill to rank up, so they have to 'use' their brain.

Delver
Dec 04, 2013
215
arsenalgooner1966 on Nov 14, 2015 wrote:
"Just no storm has used their brain."
Seriously?
Water elementals don't even use storm spells. It mostly casts elemental shield, sprite, taunt, and spirit armor, so I have no idea what you are talking about.
Storms have to have skill to rank up, so they have to 'use' their brain.
They have to use their brain; but sometimes they don't. Storm is w/ a DoT wouldn't be the game's glass cannon. Storm isn't made to have a DoT! Everyone here complains that they need a DoT so that they can spam it like everyone else. News flash: Storm isn't everyone else!!! I don't know how to stress that enough. Storms who want a DoT need to wake up to the reality that every school is different. Storm isn't supposed to have the same battle tactic as the other schools!!! Storm has a different way of winning PvP. Storm is not like the other schools, and thus why would their tactic be the same? Some dude (I forgot his name; go look it up if you want proof) once said, "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain." Even though Wizard101 isn't irl, we can still apply this quote. So start dancing!!! o.o

Survivor
Aug 27, 2015
10
Shadow 343 on Nov 24, 2015 wrote:
They have to use their brain; but sometimes they don't. Storm is w/ a DoT wouldn't be the game's glass cannon. Storm isn't made to have a DoT! Everyone here complains that they need a DoT so that they can spam it like everyone else. News flash: Storm isn't everyone else!!! I don't know how to stress that enough. Storms who want a DoT need to wake up to the reality that every school is different. Storm isn't supposed to have the same battle tactic as the other schools!!! Storm has a different way of winning PvP. Storm is not like the other schools, and thus why would their tactic be the same? Some dude (I forgot his name; go look it up if you want proof) once said, "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain." Even though Wizard101 isn't irl, we can still apply this quote. So start dancing!!! o.o
I never said that Storm needed a dot. I agree with you on the part that it would be unfair to have it, an enchanted wild bolt is insanely op. If you gargantuan a wild bolt, the least it can do to a person with no shields is 235, plus your damage.

Insane bolt is also very helpful. If you barely have any health left, and they have no shields and around 1300 health, you can just use insane bolt because you might lose anyway, and you could win with that insane.

Storm has its own strengths, and a DoT will probably never be any of these because of the bolt spells. If you're exalted, shrike and glowbug is really overpowered. If your prodigious, rusalka's wrath is pretty op too with a shrike up.

Colin Stormwraith Level 61

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
1016
Shadow 343 on Nov 24, 2015 wrote:
They have to use their brain; but sometimes they don't. Storm is w/ a DoT wouldn't be the game's glass cannon. Storm isn't made to have a DoT! Everyone here complains that they need a DoT so that they can spam it like everyone else. News flash: Storm isn't everyone else!!! I don't know how to stress that enough. Storms who want a DoT need to wake up to the reality that every school is different. Storm isn't supposed to have the same battle tactic as the other schools!!! Storm has a different way of winning PvP. Storm is not like the other schools, and thus why would their tactic be the same? Some dude (I forgot his name; go look it up if you want proof) once said, "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain." Even though Wizard101 isn't irl, we can still apply this quote. So start dancing!!! o.o
Your arguments once again make very little sense. How in the world does storm having a DoT make it less of a glass cannon? Storm still has the lowest health by far of all the schools along with the lowest resist. How does having a DoT make Storm like every other school? Is Death like every other school because it has a DoT? Is Ice like every other school? Your real life analogies don't apply to this scenario. Storm is in need of some serious help when it comes to 1v1 PvP and a DoT would certainly help it along the way.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
1016
arsenalgooner1966 on Nov 24, 2015 wrote:
I never said that Storm needed a dot. I agree with you on the part that it would be unfair to have it, an enchanted wild bolt is insanely op. If you gargantuan a wild bolt, the least it can do to a person with no shields is 235, plus your damage.

Insane bolt is also very helpful. If you barely have any health left, and they have no shields and around 1300 health, you can just use insane bolt because you might lose anyway, and you could win with that insane.

Storm has its own strengths, and a DoT will probably never be any of these because of the bolt spells. If you're exalted, shrike and glowbug is really overpowered. If your prodigious, rusalka's wrath is pretty op too with a shrike up.

Colin Stormwraith Level 61
THe bolt spells in no way replace a DoT. Wild bolt 66% of the time is dealing less damage than any other 2 pip spell in the game while insane bolt has the chance to kill you. RNG and last resort spells in no way makes up for it's lack of a DoT.

Delver
Dec 04, 2013
215
Eric Stormbringer on Nov 24, 2015 wrote:
Your arguments once again make very little sense. How in the world does storm having a DoT make it less of a glass cannon? Storm still has the lowest health by far of all the schools along with the lowest resist. How does having a DoT make Storm like every other school? Is Death like every other school because it has a DoT? Is Ice like every other school? Your real life analogies don't apply to this scenario. Storm is in need of some serious help when it comes to 1v1 PvP and a DoT would certainly help it along the way.
Since the Darkmoor update, Storm's resist has increased. And, thanks to jewels, Storm's health is fine. Yes, it is the lowest of all the schools', but it is still a decent amount of health. Death's and Ice's DoTs are within their boundries. Do they have a 2 pip DoT? No. If Storm wants a DoT, it can't be so closely related to Fire's. But the truth of the matter is: Storm doesn't NEED a DoT. On this trend, we are mixing definitions majorly. Need means it is required to survive. WANT is an entirely different word. I hope we all know the difference between those two. In our world, those two terms get mixed up A LOT, and thus I'm not too surprised atm that such is the case with this trend.

If Storm gets a DoT alone, it will become less of a glass cannon and ALL the schools could shift out of balance. As levels raise, Storm may get a DoT--in fact, it probably will. I am completely okay with Storm getting a DoT in the future levels such as 120 or something. The thing I am NOT okay with is Storm getting a DoT while the other schools stay the same. When one school is boosted, ALL the schools are effected. Yes, a DoT would help Storm tremendously--no one is doubting that fact. But I believe that if Storm gets a DoT and nothing is done for the other schools . . . Well, Ice will be the first to go. And the other schools will follow suit, all toppling off a cliff. No school is the sole king of the game, and thus if we raise one to power, we must raise the others as well. Cause and effect.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
1016
Shadow 343 on Dec 13, 2015 wrote:
Since the Darkmoor update, Storm's resist has increased. And, thanks to jewels, Storm's health is fine. Yes, it is the lowest of all the schools', but it is still a decent amount of health. Death's and Ice's DoTs are within their boundries. Do they have a 2 pip DoT? No. If Storm wants a DoT, it can't be so closely related to Fire's. But the truth of the matter is: Storm doesn't NEED a DoT. On this trend, we are mixing definitions majorly. Need means it is required to survive. WANT is an entirely different word. I hope we all know the difference between those two. In our world, those two terms get mixed up A LOT, and thus I'm not too surprised atm that such is the case with this trend.

If Storm gets a DoT alone, it will become less of a glass cannon and ALL the schools could shift out of balance. As levels raise, Storm may get a DoT--in fact, it probably will. I am completely okay with Storm getting a DoT in the future levels such as 120 or something. The thing I am NOT okay with is Storm getting a DoT while the other schools stay the same. When one school is boosted, ALL the schools are effected. Yes, a DoT would help Storm tremendously--no one is doubting that fact. But I believe that if Storm gets a DoT and nothing is done for the other schools . . . Well, Ice will be the first to go. And the other schools will follow suit, all toppling off a cliff. No school is the sole king of the game, and thus if we raise one to power, we must raise the others as well. Cause and effect.
Even with DM gear and the health jewel's Storm's health gap continues to increase each and every update. In the current meta- any combo spell(without buffs of any sort) will instantly kill Storm. As for Death and Ice- no they do not have a 2 pip DoT- they have 4 and 5 pips for their lowest. However what Storm wants in not a trained 2 pip DoT but rather a mutate for a 2 pip DoT. If Storm does gain a trained DoT I agree it should be front loaded and at the mid-high pip level. Sure Storm doesn't need a DoT-just like most of the schools who have a DoT now don't need it to survive.

As for Storm gaining a DoT-I can see it come with the next update or even as a dropped spell such as Loremaster where other schools would also gain a dropped spell. As for the school's dropping off: In the current 1v1 meta Ice has currently regained it's spot as a tier one school. Giving Storm a DoT won't change that.

Survivor
Apr 21, 2011
37
I would like to point out that everyone is forgetting the glorious balance school.

We have no dot spell, so hey, storm, you aren't the only ones. Plus we have no converts.

Also, someone mentioned that there were only life, death, and storm healing spells... um no, there is also balance.

But to balance (haha) all of our negative points, we have a ton of cool spells that don't just do flat balance damage.

Storm, you guys have the biggest punch of all the schools, giving you a dot spell would be unfair because you can't have everything in one school.

As much as everyone wishes they could have every good attribute from every school, it isn't conceivable, because the game would be too easy.

Kelsey Sunpetal
Level 86

Survivor
Apr 21, 2011
37
kylesar1 on Feb 15, 2015 wrote:
So much wrong and withheld information, plus that scenario is so highly unlikely

Storm elf does the same damage as the old elf, which is 70+210. That pretty much throws off every math calculation you just did. It can't be enchanted either since a mutate is an enchant.

Most schools have very high block to counter the very high rate, so that makes relying on a crit even more unreliable than it already is. Having your argument depend on crit amplifies my point.

That gear and scenario you mentioned only applies to lvl 100, which makes your argument wholly unreliable and weak. There are literally 99 more levels.

Also, you failed to mention the chances of Elf actually doing all that damage, which is slim to none.

.On top of that, there's the healing side of things, where a Fairy can do 1,000+ before a crit, making an assault with a DoT that much more unreliable. Why wait on that damage when you can bats once those shields clear off and deal more than the DoT per turn

The chances of a Storm spamming that spell is highly unlikely, when you have Sharks that'll do more immediately. DoT spells aren't that used in the high levels due to the massive heals

Then there's blades, which Storms don't tend to run since the shields make blades useless. plus the best wands for the school run school wand hits, which means that blades are even more useless

"I would be happy that your wizards can take off all the enemies blades, takes away negative blades, and able to heal your selves without the use of a Amulet. Ice can't heal themselves naturally, such. but you are able to. "

This isn't the questing world. This is the PvP world. 3 pips (2 pip places) for a 1/3 chance of healing no more than a Fairy isn't worth the usage. With the Life amulet, you get a guaranteed 400 base heal, more than doubled with a Satyr. I'm happy for Storm's perks, but if those perks are still swayed by the extreme disadvantages (Low health and accuracy) then what is there to be happy about.

There's a reason that Storm has the lowest amount of warlords across the boards. Is it such a coincidence that removing Storm Elf contributed highly to that stat. Every school has access to 100+ damage, 400+ crit and 300+ block, which renders Storm's biggest advantages (Insane damage and crit) obsolete

Removing something: Both cleanse and Disarm are TC, and their low pip cost makes any school capable of using it. Storm has enfeeble, but that's not coming until 75. There are 74 level below it. Storm's heal is around that level too. Storm has absolutely nothing before that level

With Ice running immunity, all they need is a Life amulet. They don't have to have a natural heal when they're immune to their opponent. Plus that insane health gives Ice the ability to tank all that damage, dish out high damage, and heal when their life is around the 3,000 mark.
Why do you need the storm elf then if it doesn't do that much and is basically useless, as you have pointed out.

Also, low health and accuracy are there to counter the insane damage that storm can do... it is there in the storm school book or motto or whatever...

Storm school diviners can do great damage but it is so great and sudden that they sometimes miss.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
1016
kswgdog112 on Dec 14, 2015 wrote:
Why do you need the storm elf then if it doesn't do that much and is basically useless, as you have pointed out.

Also, low health and accuracy are there to counter the insane damage that storm can do... it is there in the storm school book or motto or whatever...

Storm school diviners can do great damage but it is so great and sudden that they sometimes miss.
This spell is requested for PvP not PvE purposes. Storms do not want storm elf to deal massive damage, rather we want storm elf as a clerical tool.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
1016
kswgdog112 on Dec 14, 2015 wrote:
I would like to point out that everyone is forgetting the glorious balance school.

We have no dot spell, so hey, storm, you aren't the only ones. Plus we have no converts.

Also, someone mentioned that there were only life, death, and storm healing spells... um no, there is also balance.

But to balance (haha) all of our negative points, we have a ton of cool spells that don't just do flat balance damage.

Storm, you guys have the biggest punch of all the schools, giving you a dot spell would be unfair because you can't have everything in one school.

As much as everyone wishes they could have every good attribute from every school, it isn't conceivable, because the game would be too easy.

Kelsey Sunpetal
Level 86
Giving Storm a DoT in no way gives storm everything in one school. Just like giving Ice a huge dpp hit in Abominable Weaver did not put everything in one school.

Delver
Dec 04, 2013
215
Eric Stormbringer on Dec 14, 2015 wrote:
Even with DM gear and the health jewel's Storm's health gap continues to increase each and every update. In the current meta- any combo spell(without buffs of any sort) will instantly kill Storm. As for Death and Ice- no they do not have a 2 pip DoT- they have 4 and 5 pips for their lowest. However what Storm wants in not a trained 2 pip DoT but rather a mutate for a 2 pip DoT. If Storm does gain a trained DoT I agree it should be front loaded and at the mid-high pip level. Sure Storm doesn't need a DoT-just like most of the schools who have a DoT now don't need it to survive.

As for Storm gaining a DoT-I can see it come with the next update or even as a dropped spell such as Loremaster where other schools would also gain a dropped spell. As for the school's dropping off: In the current 1v1 meta Ice has currently regained it's spot as a tier one school. Giving Storm a DoT won't change that.
But what you aren't saying is that the Ices on the leaderboards are mostly Grandmasters--not max. When you make a move, something else occurs. Cause and effect. Giving Storm a DoT will change shift the other schools.

Delver
Dec 04, 2013
215
kswgdog112 on Dec 14, 2015 wrote:
I would like to point out that everyone is forgetting the glorious balance school.

We have no dot spell, so hey, storm, you aren't the only ones. Plus we have no converts.

Also, someone mentioned that there were only life, death, and storm healing spells... um no, there is also balance.

But to balance (haha) all of our negative points, we have a ton of cool spells that don't just do flat balance damage.

Storm, you guys have the biggest punch of all the schools, giving you a dot spell would be unfair because you can't have everything in one school.

As much as everyone wishes they could have every good attribute from every school, it isn't conceivable, because the game would be too easy.

Kelsey Sunpetal
Level 86
Excellently stated.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
1016
Shadow 343 on Dec 16, 2015 wrote:
But what you aren't saying is that the Ices on the leaderboards are mostly Grandmasters--not max. When you make a move, something else occurs. Cause and effect. Giving Storm a DoT will change shift the other schools.
Yes most Ice's on the leaderboard are at lvl 50. That being said if you are familiar with the top lvl meta you would be aware of Ice making significant gains. In fact Ice is currently second at max lvl leaderboards right behind balance with 14 spots. This will increase as more people realize Ice is top tier once again.

Delver
Dec 04, 2013
215
Eric Stormbringer on Dec 16, 2015 wrote:
Yes most Ice's on the leaderboard are at lvl 50. That being said if you are familiar with the top lvl meta you would be aware of Ice making significant gains. In fact Ice is currently second at max lvl leaderboards right behind balance with 14 spots. This will increase as more people realize Ice is top tier once again.
14 slots? o.o If I recall correctly, there are about 20-some balances on the leaderboards. That's about six Ices. And . . . Maybe it will increase, but not if we give Storm a DoT. Then: Bye, bye, Ice.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
1016
Shadow 343 on Dec 18, 2015 wrote:
14 slots? o.o If I recall correctly, there are about 20-some balances on the leaderboards. That's about six Ices. And . . . Maybe it will increase, but not if we give Storm a DoT. Then: Bye, bye, Ice.
The current leaderboard as of 12/18/2015 has as the top 2 schools by volume at lvl 110

Balance- 18 wizards
Ice-16 wizards

Giving Storm a DoT will have the least impact on ice considering their high health buffer and wide access to offensive/defensive utility.

Delver
Dec 04, 2013
215
Eric Stormbringer on Dec 18, 2015 wrote:
The current leaderboard as of 12/18/2015 has as the top 2 schools by volume at lvl 110

Balance- 18 wizards
Ice-16 wizards

Giving Storm a DoT will have the least impact on ice considering their high health buffer and wide access to offensive/defensive utility.
But you admit here that it WILL have an impact upon the other schools?

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
1016
Shadow 343 on Dec 20, 2015 wrote:
But you admit here that it WILL have an impact upon the other schools?
Of course it would. Will it be a large negative impact as you imply? No.

Delver
Dec 04, 2013
215
Eric Stormbringer on Dec 21, 2015 wrote:
Of course it would. Will it be a large negative impact as you imply? No.
How will it not be a negative impact? Say you have two knights(Yes, I love medieval analogies :P) One knight had a shield and mace. The other has a shield and sword. The first knight, though, wants a sword AS WELL as the mace he already posesses. He takes the other knight's sword. Now, the lord of the land deploys them both into battle . . . What's going to happen to the first knight? How about the second? Answer: First knight does great; second knight dies 'cause he doesnt have a sword.

Now, with Storm's DoT: If Storm is given a DoT--or sword--alongside its mace, and then it goes into PvP . . . What's gonna happen to the knight who only has one weapon? get my point? If Storm gets a DoT, then give the other schools something to defend themselves with! Or, take away something Storm already has. You cannot have cause without effect--we've established that to be true, no? This trend insists that that effect will be positive and so i ask: Unto whom? Who will the effect be positive for?

Answer: Storm alone.

~StephanieWildhunter~