Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

End of Azteca - Difficulty nerf, please?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 31, 2009
Why is that every one must complain? im a promethean balance and i didnt have a problen. me and my storm friend did all of it together and just the 2 of us dominated that comet. i did the blading and traping and healing and shield removing nd what no. and in turn she did a 100k sirens almost everytine. Xibalaba was a joke to us. i bought henchmen once and that was for my lvk 88 spell. and i had the regular waterworks gear and ny desert mammoth with 5 defense and 6 accuracy. so no op pet for ne.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Sopdet on Nov 26, 2012 wrote:
Why is that every one must complain? im a promethean balance and i didnt have a problen. me and my storm friend did all of it together and just the 2 of us dominated that comet. i did the blading and traping and healing and shield removing nd what no. and in turn she did a 100k sirens almost everytine. Xibalaba was a joke to us. i bought henchmen once and that was for my lvk 88 spell. and i had the regular waterworks gear and ny desert mammoth with 5 defense and 6 accuracy. so no op pet for ne.
Questing with someone else makes the world much easier. Try doing it solo, it's very difficult

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Megan Frostriver on Nov 21, 2012 wrote:
Your post begs me to ask two questions. I know the answers before I ask.
#1 Do you know the OP?
#2 Have you played with OP?

The OP is prolific guide writer on Central and a member of M4H. M4H (Mercenaries 4 Hire) is a group on Central that takes folks thru difficult instances. She is more than capable.

In the future you might want to not post snarky attacks against people you don't know. It tends to make one have egg on their face.
1. I dont need to know the OP.
2. I dont play well with others.

I dont care if they wrote a wizard101 novel that won a novelists award. I also dont care if they were in M4H or even in HCW (Hardcore Wizards). By the sound of it since my 12 year old nephew made it through azteca the OP apparently is not capable or to the standards they feel they should be or they would not be on here asking for a nerf. As for the azteca world yes its very difficult i do agree but as i said its NOT impossible. Trust me if i can solo it with just a few occasions of a 65 life wizard helping then its do-able.
Take notice of the other posts on here saying azteca was ok for them.
This game gets harder as it goes. All games do. But it goes up gradually each world. I can see saying the game is difficult at this stage but to say people other than HCW cant make it or arent having fun is plainly a perspective of the person saying it and thats all. If the casual gamer can make it through then the guide writer should be able to make it through. Look before you leap mom2.

Its my job to post snarky remarks and i do it out of fun, not out of angst. But hey i do love eggs.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
lastdaysgunslinger on Dec 7, 2012 wrote:

I dont care if they wrote a wizard101 novel that won a novelists award. I also dont care if they were in M4H or even in HCW (Hardcore Wizards). By the sound of it since my 12 year old nephew made it through azteca the OP apparently is not capable or to the standards they feel they should be or they would not be on here asking for a nerf. As for the azteca world yes its very difficult i do agree but as i said its NOT impossible. Trust me if i can solo it with just a few occasions of a 65 life wizard helping then its do-able.
This game gets harder as it goes. All games do. But it goes up gradually each world. I can see saying the game is difficult at this stage but to say people other than HCW cant make it or arent having fun is plainly a perspective of the person saying it and thats all. If the casual gamer can make it through then the guide writer should be able to make it through. Look before you leap mom2.

Its my job to post snarky remarks and i do it out of fun, not out of angst. But hey i do love eggs.
Thanks for a good laugh. I appreciate a good snarky sense of humor. I tend to have one too.

I think the OP's concerns were more for her clients than herself. Her clients are the casual type player. Just as FatesKin, DarthJT, myself and others are concerned.

When I look at start dates of people voicing concerns vs those liking things as is, I see a trend. Old long time players are less happy. New short time players are happy. Suggesting KI is losing a portion of their faithful long time players. I know each new world from CL on I have lost friends. I suspect (and freely admit I am most likely wrong) a revolving door of newer players is the new norm.

Here is the end of her post.
Once the "free Crowns for henchmen!" wears off, and people are no longer spread out over only 4 servers for easy full groups (or if they just want some peace and privacy), I fear that this difficulty level will prove WAAAAY over the top for all but the most hard core players. Questing at the tail end of this world (specifically from Alto Alto forward) is not enjoyable, it's a back-breaking chore. Many people I knew simply thought they weren't good enough players, threw up their hands, and decided to give up on test because it wasn't fun anymore. Some said "maybe I'll push through it when it goes live." These are people who are normally enthusiastically ploughing through test content. I'm talking about people who have blogs and fansites devoted to this game. If this is their reaction... what will happen to the average player?

TL;DR - I know you want to give us a challenge, but you went a bit too far. This isn't fun, it's obnoxious. Please dial it back, or I fear your average player base may rage quit.

Delver
Jul 15, 2011
lastdaysgunslinger on Dec 7, 2012 wrote:

^5

You must remember that some people subscribe to the way of thinking that everything must be easy and that everyone must win on their first try. So KI should cater to them because if they don't, those folk will whine and cry and make silly threats. "Give me what I want or I will leave this game! Waaahhh!"

I dig the wannabe name dropping someone used earlier. It's an online game and all and I'm sure everyone is exactly who they say they are. I met Selena Gomez on here a month ago or at least that is who she said she was and I dueled some boy who implied he was Justin Bieber.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
The worlds should get a little more difficult each level, however, the worlds should not leap that much in difficulty, especially for the AVERAGE player.

There is a larger and larger gap between the player and the mobs/bosses. The gear is not keeping up with the difficulty of the worlds .... period. Want more resist? Then you'll have to sacrifice block, and/or accuracy, and/or damage boost, and/or power pips, and/or healing, and/or health. It's not a small difference to lose, but a major loss of certain stats are are essential to help get through Azteca.

I completely soloed Azteca, and never died once (mobs nor bosses). That doesn't mean I enjoyed such a challenge. Switching gears constantly, making sure I had a great pet, and using a PvP mentality. I certainly feel for the AVERAGE player, who wants to continue to play the game, but find it difficult, and tedious to try and get through the battles.

Decent gear drops and much better crafted gear would certainly help everyone

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Having a different opinion is fine, but to belittle people because they voice their concerns about the difficulty of Azteca, just isn't cool. There are many types that play W101, and that includes some that are physically disabled, those who have brain injuries and can't concentrate, those who are mentally slow, and the list goes on.

Should these people be left behind because of the difficulty level that the hardcore players want? I guess I could be considered a hardcore player, and I certainly see the reasoning in nerfing Azteca a bit, so other players can have the opportunity to enjoy the game, and to be able to advance to the highest level without much difficulty.

It's suppose to be a casual game that you can stop and enjoy the scenery, not the brutal, grinding hardcore material that is being experienced now.

Brynn IceBlade L90 Ice

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Although I LOVE Azteca, solo and with friends, I do agree that many younger and more casual players are likely to be intimidated there, along with Avalon. Both worlds require a player to think ahead, strategize, and learn patience. My 12 and 8 year old sons will likely never make it that far in the game. In fact, my 12 year old son, legendary pyromancer, quit toward the end of Celestia, and he is not interested in coming back to the Spiral.

Sad as it is to say, our game has been calibrated to a more accomplished, mature player ever since Celestia. I have a theory about this: KI is pushed hard by expert players who cruise through new content super-speed. They are trying to meet the demands of those players, but they are finding it hard to keep up. Perhaps the difficulty of Azteca is meant to slow those players down a bit.

But who knows, maybe KI has a secret plan for us. They are certainly aware of the many concerns about difficulty level voiced in these forums, yet they haven't responded to any of them.

I'm content to solo slowly through Azteca. But I understand that is not the case for many players.

Warmest Regards from the Jungle,

Iridian Shadowweaver, Archmage Theurgist

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
Tatiana Winterhear... on Dec 7, 2012 wrote:
^5

You must remember that some people subscribe to the way of thinking that everything must be easy and that everyone must win on their first try. So KI should cater to them because if they don't, those folk will whine and cry and make silly threats. "Give me what I want or I will leave this game! Waaahhh!"

I dig the wannabe name dropping someone used earlier. It's an online game and all and I'm sure everyone is exactly who they say they are. I met Selena Gomez on here a month ago or at least that is who she said she was and I dueled some boy who implied he was Justin Bieber.
I don't understand what is so wrong with people asking that a game marketed as a fun, casual family game for all ages stay that way. I also don't understand the need some posters have to degrade and belittle others or how they can miss how that makes them and their arguments look. It suggests to me they don't have valid argument so they resort to the above mentioned behaviors.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
BrynnerOfReign on Dec 8, 2012 wrote:
The worlds should get a little more difficult each level, however, the worlds should not leap that much in difficulty, especially for the AVERAGE player.

There is a larger and larger gap between the player and the mobs/bosses. The gear is not keeping up with the difficulty of the worlds .... period. Want more resist? Then you'll have to sacrifice block, and/or accuracy, and/or damage boost, and/or power pips, and/or healing, and/or health. It's not a small difference to lose, but a major loss of certain stats are are essential to help get through Azteca.

I completely soloed Azteca, and never died once (mobs nor bosses). That doesn't mean I enjoyed such a challenge. Switching gears constantly, making sure I had a great pet, and using a PvP mentality. I certainly feel for the AVERAGE player, who wants to continue to play the game, but find it difficult, and tedious to try and get through the battles.

Decent gear drops and much better crafted gear would certainly help everyone
This is so true we need some attention to upgrades in powers and gear instead of just a new spell in the new world.
KI should definately start considering giving us players something to boost a bit. As was said throughout this post difficult is fine as long as we improve along with the difficulty.

Also i do feel bad for those who are having trouble with this new world but asking for a nerf is not going to solve it but asking for help might.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
^5

I do know Mom2myKids and she knows me. She has the right and priviledge to state she knows me, not everyone else can say this.

I am usually the one that defends the game, because most people that whine and complain have no facts to back up their statements. However, in this case, there are facts to back up the statement.

People here defending Azteca and it's difficulty are even backing up my arguement. When someone states, they had to buy life henchman, to me, that does mean that the game is too difficult. You should never be required to buy your way through anything, which was my whole point to begin with.

I am someone that has the best pets, has the best gear, has the best strategy and I can demolish everything in my path. However, in some of the solo fights, where it is 3v1, that is a whole different story. Storm only has 3k health and not the greatest power pip percentage vs the mobs and bosses powerpips? Seriously?

So, those of you that think this game is so easy, think of other schools, other classes, other wizards that are not as good, that don't have the best gear, the best pets, the best of everything and those that dont have the extra crowns to spend on henchmen.

Who are you to criticize? Who are you to judge? Who are you to state, if you dont like it, leave and go somewhere else? This is the forums, where we bring up issues and debate them, so that KI does know our thought and feelings on these issues.

I personally think, that the difficulty level has increased just a bit too much in some areas of Azteca and need to be revised.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
lastdaysgunslinger on Dec 9, 2012 wrote:
This is so true we need some attention to upgrades in powers and gear instead of just a new spell in the new world.
KI should definately start considering giving us players something to boost a bit. As was said throughout this post difficult is fine as long as we improve along with the difficulty.

Also i do feel bad for those who are having trouble with this new world but asking for a nerf is not going to solve it but asking for help might.
Have you tried crafting the new Azteca gear yet, or compared the stats to what you already have? I'm not sure what school you're in, so I don't know if there is any gear that might be worth crafting for you. Have you received any drops or is anything at the vendors worth the amount of gold to purchase? These are just questions, as I'm curious if anyone has gotten gear halfway decent in the game.

My highest Azteca wizard is my Promethean Ice L90. I did craft Avalon gear, as that was the best for my Ice at the time. I find the crafted gear for Azteca is debatable. In comparison with AV and AZ gear, I can get slightly more health, but my overall resist can drop quite a bit. The boost to Fire and Storm averages about 2% more than what I already have. I can get about the same damage boost as I already have, as one item may boost it, but another item lowers the boost. I did find my critical block lowered with the AZ gear (essential), while my critical would go up (not that essential, since it's so random).

I did manage to get enough ingredients to craft the robe, but not the other gear (as some of the ingredients, including some treasure cards, agave leaves, nectar, and turquoise are not easy to get). The stats are iffy, but I keep going back to my AV gear for overall balance. I will keep the robe in my backpack, as I switch gear depending on the battles. Is it worth the effort to craft? In my case, not really. Too many rare ingredients, and the stats would not be balanced enough for me to continue to craft. I'm not sure what the AZ gear stats look like for other schools (I'm working on my Balance wiz through AZ). I would hope other schools would get better stats, but I'm not hopeful.

Overall, I think the AZ gear is barely passable. It doesn't contain enough boosts in essential areas to be able to fight the ever-increasing difficulty of the game. Forget buying gear from vendors, as it's pretty bad, at least for Ice, and the cost is outrageous. Drops? Straight to the Bazaar to sell.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
^5

This is one of the rudest comments I have seen in a long time on these boards. Degrading other players for their opinions without even trying to understand the real issues is just totally un-called for.

I know and am friends with Mom2, Darth, QB, Que and a few others posting here. They are all very good players and Darth is not bragging. He is stating a fact. I have been with him in battles and have seen what he can do with a Storm wizard.

It does not matter if you know the OP or not, If she is posting the issues before this world went live, then it should have been looked at by KI then and release delayed. I am not a great player, I am not an expert. I may be a fair player, but play this game for fun. I do not need nor want hair pulling stress in a game.

Like Mom2 and others, I lost a lot of friends post CL. That should have been an indicator then that the jump in difficulty was moving a little too fast. But no. Players started screaming for HARDER AND HARDER leaving the casual family players behind. Does E10+ not mean anything anymore? If I wanted to play HARDCORE headache games, I would not here.

From CL forward, the game has become severely unbalanced. From useless understated gear to bosses and mobs that can take you out with in 1 to 2 rounds. This is not fun nor magical anymore. It is slaughter for the casual, average player.

@the poster stating that KI has stated that 100 will be the last level cap, I find that a little odd considering, KI has stated recently they will continue with new content for W101 even with P101 now released.

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
^5

What you fail to realize is that, unless you are an adult (and to be honest, the tone in which you wrote your comment leads me to believe that you are not), it's not your credit card being charged for membership and/or crowns. My son and I began playing W101 about 3 years ago, he because his friends played, and myself because it was fun after 9 hours of work. It's not fun anymore.

My son is currently in Avalon, putzing around. I just started Azteca, and at no time in the past week or so has anyone on my friends' list logged on. The majority of my W101 friends are also parents, and I have a feeling they tried Azteca, realized that it is work, and left. I have never complained about crafting, I don't PvP so that is not an issue, but I am frustrated by the fact that Azteca is a lot like a job, but without any pay. You cannot solo bosses, regular NPC battles take half an hour at the very least, and the drops are fairly horrible.

It's my money, and I choose where and when to spend it. If Kingsisle has chosen to cater to "hardcore" gamers, rather than casual gamers like myself and my son, we will simply let our membership expire. I can still garden and get low level badges, no biggie, but Azteca is simply not designed for anyone other than people who can spend 8-10 hours a day playing an online game. During the test realm, I remember seeing someone comment "I got to level 90 in four days!" It was at that moment that we realized W101 may not be for us anymore. We have lives, we have hobbies, and we have better things on which to spend our money than a game that used to be fun, but seems to be designed for people who think they are "all that and a bag of chips," at least within the world of W101.

What I find most disturbing about your comment is how incredibly rude and disrespectful it is. A person who obviously plays W101 well enough to be part of Mercenaries for Hire is having issues with a realm, and your response is to attempt to belittle and demean that person. This is the other problem with online gaming: the boundaries of decorum go flying out the window, and someone like you feels completely at ease "speaking" to another person the way you did.

No one is whining. We simply are making comments on an open message board. If our discussion offends, perhaps you should refrain from reading it.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Snee432 on Dec 26, 2012 wrote:
What you fail to realize is that, unless you are an adult (and to be honest, the tone in which you wrote your comment leads me to believe that you are not), it's not your credit card being charged for membership and/or crowns. My son and I began playing W101 about 3 years ago, he because his friends played, and myself because it was fun after 9 hours of work. It's not fun anymore.

My son is currently in Avalon, putzing around. I just started Azteca, and at no time in the past week or so has anyone on my friends' list logged on. The majority of my W101 friends are also parents, and I have a feeling they tried Azteca, realized that it is work, and left. I have never complained about crafting, I don't PvP so that is not an issue, but I am frustrated by the fact that Azteca is a lot like a job, but without any pay. You cannot solo bosses, regular NPC battles take half an hour at the very least, and the drops are fairly horrible.

It's my money, and I choose where and when to spend it. If Kingsisle has chosen to cater to "hardcore" gamers, rather than casual gamers like myself and my son, we will simply let our membership expire. I can still garden and get low level badges, no biggie, but Azteca is simply not designed for anyone other than people who can spend 8-10 hours a day playing an online game. During the test realm, I remember seeing someone comment "I got to level 90 in four days!" It was at that moment that we realized W101 may not be for us anymore. We have lives, we have hobbies, and we have better things on which to spend our money than a game that used to be fun, but seems to be designed for people who think they are "all that and a bag of chips," at least within the world of W101.

What I find most disturbing about your comment is how incredibly rude and disrespectful it is. A person who obviously plays W101 well enough to be part of Mercenaries for Hire is having issues with a realm, and your response is to attempt to belittle and demean that person. This is the other problem with online gaming: the boundaries of decorum go flying out the window, and someone like you feels completely at ease "speaking" to another person the way you did.

No one is whining. We simply are making comments on an open message board. If our discussion offends, perhaps you should refrain from reading it.
Loreis you need to understand that KI is not catering to hardcore gamers, They are catering to the vast majority. I can garauntee you that if the tide was turned and more people stepped up to complain on difficulty then it would change and i would definately change sides on this issue.
My one and only purpose on these issues is to achieve the game staying here and for a while. So if way more people felt the game is to difficult then i would be trying for a nerf. Im completed in the game so i dont care personally if it gets harder or easier just so it stays around.
Ive played enough games that have closed and i know what a game company looks at. I was one of you all at one point complaining about game difficulty on some games so i know where your coming from.
if it comes down to making someone happy or keeping this game running, I choose keep the game running even if its me thats not happy.

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
DragonLady1818 on Dec 9, 2012 wrote:
This is one of the rudest comments I have seen in a long time on these boards. Degrading other players for their opinions without even trying to understand the real issues is just totally un-called for.

I know and am friends with Mom2, Darth, QB, Que and a few others posting here. They are all very good players and Darth is not bragging. He is stating a fact. I have been with him in battles and have seen what he can do with a Storm wizard.

It does not matter if you know the OP or not, If she is posting the issues before this world went live, then it should have been looked at by KI then and release delayed. I am not a great player, I am not an expert. I may be a fair player, but play this game for fun. I do not need nor want hair pulling stress in a game.

Like Mom2 and others, I lost a lot of friends post CL. That should have been an indicator then that the jump in difficulty was moving a little too fast. But no. Players started screaming for HARDER AND HARDER leaving the casual family players behind. Does E10+ not mean anything anymore? If I wanted to play HARDCORE headache games, I would not here.

From CL forward, the game has become severely unbalanced. From useless understated gear to bosses and mobs that can take you out with in 1 to 2 rounds. This is not fun nor magical anymore. It is slaughter for the casual, average player.

@the poster stating that KI has stated that 100 will be the last level cap, I find that a little odd considering, KI has stated recently they will continue with new content for W101 even with P101 now released.
When I first joined this game all those years ago, I was hooked on by how nice, slow, and easy this game was. It was indeed almost magical. When I look back, I never had one complaint, not a single moment of stress. Now I look at myself soloing, even without soloing in Azteca, I don't focus on the fun anymore it's nothing but ok what's he gonna do next, should i shield? blade? no too risky, maybe heal? and all these things are alright but it really shouldn't be like you have to rush through this like your life depends on it. I to have loss great friends that gave up because of the difficulty level. I remember one friend telling me this game will reach it's limit one day and there will be nothing left but a few playe who have the time, money, and skill to pass the later worlds. It looks like we might reach that point very soon, I hope not most casual gamers are great people that I enjoy being surround by.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
lastdaysgunslinger on Dec 26, 2012 wrote:
Loreis you need to understand that KI is not catering to hardcore gamers, They are catering to the vast majority. I can garauntee you that if the tide was turned and more people stepped up to complain on difficulty then it would change and i would definately change sides on this issue.
My one and only purpose on these issues is to achieve the game staying here and for a while. So if way more people felt the game is to difficult then i would be trying for a nerf. Im completed in the game so i dont care personally if it gets harder or easier just so it stays around.
Ive played enough games that have closed and i know what a game company looks at. I was one of you all at one point complaining about game difficulty on some games so i know where your coming from.
if it comes down to making someone happy or keeping this game running, I choose keep the game running even if its me thats not happy.
If you take a look at the start dates for some of the posters on these forum and I don't mean just this topic, you will see very few of the LONG TIME players still here. WHY? Post CL. Many left after entering Cl. Since then more and more are leaving due to the major jumps in difficulty. As some have already stated, even their own family members are getting frustrated with the game.

As Mom2, stated, W101 was and IS advertised as a CASUAL family type game and there is no reason the players should not expect it to remain as such.

Defender
Feb 24, 2012
Darth JT on Dec 9, 2012 wrote:
I do know Mom2myKids and she knows me. She has the right and priviledge to state she knows me, not everyone else can say this.

I am usually the one that defends the game, because most people that whine and complain have no facts to back up their statements. However, in this case, there are facts to back up the statement.

People here defending Azteca and it's difficulty are even backing up my arguement. When someone states, they had to buy life henchman, to me, that does mean that the game is too difficult. You should never be required to buy your way through anything, which was my whole point to begin with.

I am someone that has the best pets, has the best gear, has the best strategy and I can demolish everything in my path. However, in some of the solo fights, where it is 3v1, that is a whole different story. Storm only has 3k health and not the greatest power pip percentage vs the mobs and bosses powerpips? Seriously?

So, those of you that think this game is so easy, think of other schools, other classes, other wizards that are not as good, that don't have the best gear, the best pets, the best of everything and those that dont have the extra crowns to spend on henchmen.

Who are you to criticize? Who are you to judge? Who are you to state, if you dont like it, leave and go somewhere else? This is the forums, where we bring up issues and debate them, so that KI does know our thought and feelings on these issues.

I personally think, that the difficulty level has increased just a bit too much in some areas of Azteca and need to be revised.
I think that was sarcasm Darth lol. I dont think any1 cares that mom knows you.

People usually buy henchman to speed things up or get a bit of assistance that has no impact on if the game is to difficult. Thats like saying i had to group because the game is to difficult. Its a group game.

If you have the best pets and bestest gear and the bestestest strategy ever and you are king stomper then the game is a breeze to you right. Well it wasnt to hard for me and i dont have the best anything, I guess its just the player. Where do you come up with storm having 3k health, my storm has 4950 an 102% pp.

So what your saying is the game should just cater to those that cannot keep up huh. Just nerf everything so you can get by right. Hmm interesting thought, Maybe back when tball was being played and everyone gets to play an gets a trophy.

I think your paragraph about "if you dont like it leave and go somewhere else" should be looked at by you as well.

Do you seriously think they will revise something based on your biased assumption that the game is "just a bit too much". Well guess what who are you to say its to hard.

Are you the outspoken majority on this issue.

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
fireproof1111 on Dec 29, 2012 wrote:

People usually buy henchman to speed things up or get a bit of assistance that has no impact on if the game is to difficult. Thats like saying i had to group because the game is to difficult. Its a group game.

If you have the best pets and bestest gear and the bestestest strategy ever and you are king stomper then the game is a breeze to you right. Well it wasnt to hard for me and i dont have the best anything, I guess its just the player. Where do you come up with storm having 3k health, my storm has 4950 an 102% pp.

So what your saying is the game should just cater to those that cannot keep up huh. Just nerf everything so you can get by right. Hmm interesting thought, Maybe back when tball was being played and everyone gets to play an gets a trophy.

I think your paragraph about "if you dont like it leave and go somewhere else" should be looked at by you as well.

Do you seriously think they will revise something based on your biased assumption that the game is "just a bit too much". Well guess what who are you to say its to hard.

You didn't have to do be so harsh, everyone is just worried about everyone else.

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
lastdaysgunslinger on Dec 26, 2012 wrote:
Perhaps I need to more specific. Earlier this year, I watched a video of a man in his 30's on You Tube. This man was an avid World of Warcraft player, a "hard core" gamer. He recorded himself having a temper tantrum-screaming, swearing, crying at some points-because someone had hacked his account and stolen in-game items from his character.

That is what I think of as a "hard core" player. Someone who spends oodles of actual money on a game, so much so that when his account is hacked, he posts a rant online. Or, someone who brags that they got to level 90 in Azteca in four days. Or someone who feels the need to insult and denigrate people with whom they disagree, like the person to whom I originally responded. Whatever Kingsisle has decided to do, it seems that they are after one thing and that one thing is money. Which is fine; they are a business. But what I have always found so very odd is that W101 is marketed as "free to play." Unless you want to stay in Wizard City, never moving forward in the quest line, never achieving new crafting levels, W101 is most assuredly not "free to play."

Azteca is work for this casual gaming family. Our enthusiasm has diminished to the point that we are not renewing our subscription. My son has suggested I review Azteca for my readers, and I plan to do that next week, along with my thoughts on the misleading marketing of W101. Could we afford to continue playing? Yes, but it's really not about the money, per se. It's about the fact that KI will not allow casual gamers to play the way they are used to. You are forced to spend money if you want to advance within the game.

Luckily, I also play a MUD that is really free to play. I guess that will be my relaxing place online whenever I get a chance. W101 is not relaxing, it's not fun for us anymore and we would rather spend money on things that matter. We've spent a lot on W101 and Pirate 101, but we're done. Kudos to the "hard core" gamers and players for whom a game obviously means more than it does for our family and others. We're just not those people.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011

The thing is, it may not have been hard for you, but there are many many players who do think it's hard, and there are some of us that are trying to speak on their behalf.

Was Azteca too difficult for me? No. But that doesn't mean that others don't struggle, or feel as though the fun and relaxation left the game. That's the point we are trying to get across. Sure, the difficulty is going to increase from world-to-world, but to what extent is it too much? The gap between the players and the enemy is growing with each world, and we don't have anything to compensate for it. Gear? Nothing available in Azteca is worth it, so many scramble to farm for lower gear to try and put together something that will help them through the game, or try to find something in the Bazaar that would be passable. Not everyone can take the time and effort to craft, or hatch pets with decent stats. It's a lot of work, and many don't have the time ..... it's become a job, and a job is not what people are looking for.

My Ice made it through Azteca relatively easily. I never died once in battle, and that includes the final dungeon, which I soloed. My health is at 6612, 47% damage, resistance is 89 Fire, 84 Storm and 56 to all other schools. Accuracy is at 102%, power pips at 94%, healing 35%, critical 182, and crit block at 162 across the board. Sure, I worked really hard for these stats, but not everyone is able to get the right gear, or the right pet ..... and they struggle. Do I knock them? No. Should you? No.

I've seen group players buy henchmen because they struggle. No one should HAVE to buy henchmen to get them through the game, whether it's solo or in a group. No one should have to farm till they're blue in the face to get a certain gear drop they may need.

We shouldn't be leaving people behind. There are those that play this game for disability rehabilitation. Those that have difficulty putting together strategy because of brain damage. Those that have problems with dexterity, visual problems, and the list goes on and on.

No matter what happens with the game, the smallest voice needs to be heard.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
DragonLady1818 on Dec 29, 2012 wrote:
If you take a look at the start dates for some of the posters on these forum and I don't mean just this topic, you will see very few of the LONG TIME players still here. WHY? Post CL. Many left after entering Cl. Since then more and more are leaving due to the major jumps in difficulty. As some have already stated, even their own family members are getting frustrated with the game.

As Mom2, stated, W101 was and IS advertised as a CASUAL family type game and there is no reason the players should not expect it to remain as such.
Well in all honesty the game still is a casual family game. You should think of the second arc as more of a expansion. And if they brought out a second part of the game exactly like the first how fun would that have been?
Want the family friendly part do the first arc. Have you toned your skill time for the second arc.
No one is forcing any1 to do each world. People that complain about things of this sort can stop anytime they choose at whatever world they want.

Has nothing to do with start dates either really. Some could have started 2 months ago and be in azteca already and i bet any money there are still people been playing for 3+ years and still not past DS. Not to mention that difficulty might not have been what made some leave it could have been boredom, Might have even been these forums.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Snee432 on Dec 30, 2012 wrote:
Perhaps I need to more specific. Earlier this year, I watched a video of a man in his 30's on You Tube. This man was an avid World of Warcraft player, a "hard core" gamer. He recorded himself having a temper tantrum-screaming, swearing, crying at some points-because someone had hacked his account and stolen in-game items from his character.

That is what I think of as a "hard core" player. Someone who spends oodles of actual money on a game, so much so that when his account is hacked, he posts a rant online. Or, someone who brags that they got to level 90 in Azteca in four days. Or someone who feels the need to insult and denigrate people with whom they disagree, like the person to whom I originally responded. Whatever Kingsisle has decided to do, it seems that they are after one thing and that one thing is money. Which is fine; they are a business. But what I have always found so very odd is that W101 is marketed as "free to play." Unless you want to stay in Wizard City, never moving forward in the quest line, never achieving new crafting levels, W101 is most assuredly not "free to play."

Azteca is work for this casual gaming family. Our enthusiasm has diminished to the point that we are not renewing our subscription. My son has suggested I review Azteca for my readers, and I plan to do that next week, along with my thoughts on the misleading marketing of W101. Could we afford to continue playing? Yes, but it's really not about the money, per se. It's about the fact that KI will not allow casual gamers to play the way they are used to. You are forced to spend money if you want to advance within the game.

Luckily, I also play a MUD that is really free to play. I guess that will be my relaxing place online whenever I get a chance. W101 is not relaxing, it's not fun for us anymore and we would rather spend money on things that matter. We've spent a lot on W101 and Pirate 101, but we're done. Kudos to the "hard core" gamers and players for whom a game obviously means more than it does for our family and others. We're just not those people.
No thats not hardcore thats just crazy to me. Hardcore to me is someone who plays for long hours and devotes a large portion of life and time on a game. My opinion money has nothing to do with it.

And yes KI is a business that needs profit to stay running just like any business. In turn they need to make business minded decisions even if it makes some angry. Numerous titles out there right now describe their games as F2P but you still have to purchase premium access on almost all of them. How else can they make money.

The second arc is alot more work but remember no one is forcing you to complete them. If casual gamers are casual as they say isnt slow moving through worlds taking your time to enjoy things casual. I spend 6.95 per account per month and i dont feel that is very expensive for a fun game.

Im sorry to hear that you dont want to continue to play any longer. Please check out free realms that might be a better pace for your family, My other family member play that as well and seem to like it.

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009

well someone certaintly doesnt like the thought of this game not turning into a complete and total hard core game. lol if you really want that ard of a challenge then i suggest WoW.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
lastdaysgunslinger on Dec 31, 2012 wrote:
Well in all honesty the game still is a casual family game. You should think of the second arc as more of a expansion. And if they brought out a second part of the game exactly like the first how fun would that have been?
Want the family friendly part do the first arc. Have you toned your skill time for the second arc.
No one is forcing any1 to do each world. People that complain about things of this sort can stop anytime they choose at whatever world they want.

Has nothing to do with start dates either really. Some could have started 2 months ago and be in azteca already and i bet any money there are still people been playing for 3+ years and still not past DS. Not to mention that difficulty might not have been what made some leave it could have been boredom, Might have even been these forums.
You really don't get the point do you? I know exactly why my family members quit. My friends know exactly why their family members quit. THE GAME IS NO LONGER CASUAL FAMILY GAME.

No one is saying they want the second arc to be as easy as the first. What we are saying is that the difficulty level is jumping by leaps and bounds from world to world which is making it impossible for the CASUAL family players to get past CL much less anything else needs to be toned down in AZ.

Want the family friendly part do the first arc. TheWHOLE game is advertised as FAMILY FRIENDLY, not just the first arc. So that was a rather rude remark to make to any player. Being disrespectful to others is not cool. Regardless of what world any player has been in over the last 4 years does not matter. IF those players decide to return to the game, they should not be disrespected even if their wizard has sat for 3+ years. Telling players they can just quit is just rude. Most play to achieve a goal for themselves. BTW, I am in the 2nd arc, I am not the best player in the game, but I can hold my own...

If I remember correctly, part of the reason Azteca came out so quickly without some things being fixed or tweaked was to slow down some of those players that are ramming a wizard through in a matter of days. Unfortunately that did not work in KI's favor. But instead, there are many threads and topics popping up due to the difficulty it is leaving in its wake for the famly players. (BTW, Mr Coleman made the statement about trying to slow some players down) (Those are what I would call HARDCORE)

These boards? Yes, I have seen players stop posting due to some that are rude and like to troll but they did not quit the game for that reason. They left the game because the game left them behind. Plain and Simple

If KI had continued to add expandable SIDE worlds as they did with Grizz and Wintertusk, add sides to Krok, Mooshu and even DS between adding New Main worlds, with decent gear upgrades, 2 PP wands and NO Level cap, these discussions probably would not be taking place. Even something as simple as making this kind of change, can make a world of difference for a lot of players. Maybe then, AZ would not seem so difficult.