Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New! Minions for level 75+

AuthorMessage
Administrator
New Minion Spell Quests!

Help has arrived in the form of spells to summon new powerful minions! If you are level 75 or higher and have your level 55 spell, speak to Halston Balestrom in Ravenwood's Storm School.

Yes once again, we're doing things a little differently - rather than returning to your respective Professors for a spell, Halston Balestrom will be the one sending you on this adventure.

There are 2 requirements to meet to be able to accept the starting spell quest from your Professor
  1. Being a minimum of level 75
  2. Having completed the quest “The Runedown” which gave you your level 55 spell.
The spell you need to have as a requirement for this quest is:
  • Availing Hands for Balance Wizards
  • Virulent Plague for Death Wizards
  • Power Link for Fire Wizards
  • Frozen Armor for Ice Wizards
  • Brilliant Light for Life Wizards
  • Talos for Myth Wizards
  • Insane Bolt for Storm Wizards

community@wizard101.com
Historian
May 06, 2009
I really like the new minions and I'm so happy Kingsisle finally gave us some more help in these worlds. I like how strong they are too! I don't mind that they can't be used in PvP because they're really powerful and would probably throw the tides of PvP into choas. Starting off with 3 pips worth 5-6 pips is awesome and that they know powerful spells is a big bonus. As a Death Wizard, I'm overjoyed to have Malduit the Devestator as my ally. She's been very useful in my battles

See You in the Spiral!

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
All I can say at this point is THANK YOU. I did the quest for my life minion before going to Aquila yesterday. Even though I did not use the minion except for a couple of battles in Mount Olympus, I must say, this is one of the most POSITIVE updates we have had in a long time.

Thank you KI for hearing the voices of the community.

Explorer
Sep 25, 2010
This is one of my favorite updates since the introduction of the morganthe story line! I put 4 of Sir Lamorak Tinder Hart in my deck and out him in a jade oni battle so i could figure out exactly what he was like in a real battle. I didn't help the minion at all. I don't know if anyone is curious but i'll post all of the minion's stats below that i collected after 3 jade oni battles.

Sir Lamorak Tinder Hart:
Health: 1700
Pips to start with: 5-6
Known Spells: fire blade, fire trap, fire shield, heck hound, glacial shield, meteor strike, phoenix, fire dragon, natural attack.
Power pip chance: Unknown
Resists: Most schools - 0 Fire - unknown %
Boosts on Lamorak: Most schools - 0 Storm - unknown % Ice - probably but has not been in ice battle yet.

I think thats a pretty sweet minion. At the very least it looks cool. This is an idea of what to expect for your school once you summon your school minion.

Scarlet Dragonpetal

Defender
Sep 19, 2010
DragonLady1818 on Jul 12, 2013 wrote:
All I can say at this point is THANK YOU. I did the quest for my life minion before going to Aquila yesterday. Even though I did not use the minion except for a couple of battles in Mount Olympus, I must say, this is one of the most POSITIVE updates we have had in a long time.

Thank you KI for hearing the voices of the community.
Agree completely. Got minion on my myth and decided to test it out on some lost souls before I did anything serious with it. First turn it slaughtered them. Absolutely love that wizard101 gave us some really good new minions, This might be optimistic, but between the edging off of universal resist and the minions and the EXCELLENTLY done world, I'm starting to feel hopes again for the future of wizard101.

Mason Shadowwraith90

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Good thing they are no PvP, these minions are quite the powerhouse!

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Rony The Turtle on Jul 13, 2013 wrote:
Good thing they are no PvP, these minions are quite the powerhouse!
Agreed 100%.

Unfortunately, for lack of a better word, "debates" over this has already started. For the first time in no one knows how long, KI created something for PvE ONLY or NO PvP, and now the question has arisen as to why KI did not create a version for PvP too. Many have asked for a lot of spells, pets, gear and what have you to be made No PvP. Now, they have given us new minions which are much needed in the PvE community. So Please PvPers, leave this one alone. This one is set NO PvP from the beginning, not after the fact and not nerfed.

KI, PLEASE stand fast on this one. You have done an awesome job on creating these Minions for PvE that have been asked for many times over. Thank you

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
So far we have run our wizards though and got the Death, Storm, Balance (a bit scary looking for me) and Life. I do appreciate they are nice but wonder if they could actually could be fit into play mid Avalon?

They cost 5 pips and being like previous minions there comes a time when you set traps and the minion may use them on you if you fizzled so this discouraged me from using them after Mooshu or so.

I am thankful that the quest, altho a bit long is doable and not an impossible endless boss and 2 minion event - it was actually fun to do.

I think we will do the quest for them when they go live but feel they may be more of a novelty item then usable, I will have to try a difficult battle solo to see how using those pips helps me. It was real fun using them in MarleyBone where we tested each one out for the first battle.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Northlite on Jul 15, 2013 wrote:
So far we have run our wizards though and got the Death, Storm, Balance (a bit scary looking for me) and Life. I do appreciate they are nice but wonder if they could actually could be fit into play mid Avalon?

They cost 5 pips and being like previous minions there comes a time when you set traps and the minion may use them on you if you fizzled so this discouraged me from using them after Mooshu or so.

I am thankful that the quest, altho a bit long is doable and not an impossible endless boss and 2 minion event - it was actually fun to do.

I think we will do the quest for them when they go live but feel they may be more of a novelty item then usable, I will have to try a difficult battle solo to see how using those pips helps me. It was real fun using them in MarleyBone where we tested each one out for the first battle.
I have decided that if my new life minion is going to cast a lower pip damage spell, I will intentionally throw out a feint just to see how much damage can be gained from our minions. Since I normally have at least 2 or 3 feints on a boss anyway when I am running solo, I don't think it will be a major issue yet. I have also noticed that Sir Bedevere usually gets another life trap out fairly quickly so not concerned yet. I intend to test him to his limits before using him in Az.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
DragonLady1818 on Jul 13, 2013 wrote:
Agreed 100%.

Unfortunately, for lack of a better word, "debates" over this has already started. For the first time in no one knows how long, KI created something for PvE ONLY or NO PvP, and now the question has arisen as to why KI did not create a version for PvP too. Many have asked for a lot of spells, pets, gear and what have you to be made No PvP. Now, they have given us new minions which are much needed in the PvE community. So Please PvPers, leave this one alone. This one is set NO PvP from the beginning, not after the fact and not nerfed.

KI, PLEASE stand fast on this one. You have done an awesome job on creating these Minions for PvE that have been asked for many times over. Thank you
well, if you want to use minions in PvP, the original set will have to do for now. I'm not trying to be catty, it's just that the original minions are the only answer to this question, for now. I'm glad KI finally listened to us and gave us USEFUL minions. The old ones were a great idea, but the fear of overpowering them seems to have made them weak. The only really GOOD original ones are 1) treasure cards 2) 14 pip death minion (which is weak by these new minions' standards)

Survivor
Oct 22, 2012
are the new minions only in the test realm or are they in live game?
i have been to the storm teacher a few times and i have 2 wizards that are ready to get the new minion spells.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
SynderBlue on Jul 17, 2013 wrote:
are the new minions only in the test realm or are they in live game?
i have been to the storm teacher a few times and i have 2 wizards that are ready to get the new minion spells.
For now they are only in test. Not to worry these usually only run a few weeks before they start rolling out to live.

Survivor
Sep 29, 2012
Professor Greyrose on Jul 11, 2013 wrote:
New Minion Spell Quests!

Help has arrived in the form of spells to summon new powerful minions! If you are level 75 or higher and have your level 55 spell, speak to Halston Balestrom in Ravenwood's Storm School.

Yes once again, we're doing things a little differently - rather than returning to your respective Professors for a spell, Halston Balestrom will be the one sending you on this adventure.

There are 2 requirements to meet to be able to accept the starting spell quest from your Professor
  1. Being a minimum of level 75
  2. Having completed the quest “The Runedown” which gave you your level 55 spell.
The spell you need to have as a requirement for this quest is:
  • Availing Hands for Balance Wizards
  • Virulent Plague for Death Wizards
  • Power Link for Fire Wizards
  • Frozen Armor for Ice Wizards
  • Brilliant Light for Life Wizards
  • Talos for Myth Wizards
  • Insane Bolt for Storm Wizards
You Guys are so awesome! I Absolutely LOVE Minions!

I Use my minions all the time, and my favorite minion would be the ice minion ( the 20-rank one ) because it always attacks and gives me blades! Now that there's a higher level minion afoot, that would just make it so much more fun, and easier!

You guys are awesome!

~Nora Night Master Thaumaturge

Survivor
Nov 21, 2012
The minions are Fantastic but there are a few downs to them.
They aren't able to be used in PvP; In which i understand your ruling.
For wizards (This is a personal judgement) We can get plenty of healing and I think the life minion should have more attack based moves in their decks rather than heals and shields.
I know the minions are meant to help us in questing; it is just the fact that a typical life wizard like me usually packs as many heals if not more then what we attack with.

(Some of you may not agree with me which is fine with me, we all role our own ways)
With the minion i have experienced more heals if not all dryads and shields come from him. All in all, the minions are pretty decent to have.

*To summarize this: The new life minion needs more attacks in his deck so it is as equal as if battling with a non npc

Flint Emeraldeyes Promethean
(Transcendent Crafter)

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Flint Emeraldeyes on Jul 18, 2013 wrote:
The minions are Fantastic but there are a few downs to them.
They aren't able to be used in PvP; In which i understand your ruling.
For wizards (This is a personal judgement) We can get plenty of healing and I think the life minion should have more attack based moves in their decks rather than heals and shields.
I know the minions are meant to help us in questing; it is just the fact that a typical life wizard like me usually packs as many heals if not more then what we attack with.

(Some of you may not agree with me which is fine with me, we all role our own ways)
With the minion i have experienced more heals if not all dryads and shields come from him. All in all, the minions are pretty decent to have.

*To summarize this: The new life minion needs more attacks in his deck so it is as equal as if battling with a non npc

Flint Emeraldeyes Promethean
(Transcendent Crafter)
I am perfectly happy with the new life minions. I have already tested Sir Bedevere and he is awesome. I suspect he is going to use what comes into his hand at the time of selection but I have not experienced an over abundance of heals. But if that is the case, I suggest leaving it alone. It just means I can reduce my heals a little (not too much though) and pack in more damage spells. And since my Ianthine has been an awesome pet, I almost feel like I am about ready to head for level 88 spell quest after this update goes live.

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Cunning Finnigan S... on Jul 12, 2013 wrote:
I really like the new minions and I'm so happy Kingsisle finally gave us some more help in these worlds. I like how strong they are too! I don't mind that they can't be used in PvP because they're really powerful and would probably throw the tides of PvP into choas. Starting off with 3 pips worth 5-6 pips is awesome and that they know powerful spells is a big bonus. As a Death Wizard, I'm overjoyed to have Malduit the Devestator as my ally. She's been very useful in my battles

See You in the Spiral!
I thoroughly agree with most of the writers here, the new minions are fantastic. To go from a minion with 400 health to one with 1400 is great.(this health is for Nerys the Balance minion.)
My storm wizard is also benefitting from a minion that can cast higher pip spells and in many cases, "finish off"
a boss or his sidekick.
I'm looking forward to when my other wizards are at a high enough level to acquire them by which time Aquila will be well and truly live.
Thanks for a grat new idea KI

Survivor
Sep 21, 2010
I think that these minions should have a critical and a block. , at least a low one so they can survive in the places these level people would be like azteca

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
Can't wait to learn mine!
1 question- what rank are they? Not pips, but the rank.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Molly the Balance ... on Jul 23, 2013 wrote:
Can't wait to learn mine!
1 question- what rank are they? Not pips, but the rank.
Somewhere near 7 I believe? Maybe 8. Don't remember exactly o_o

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Rony The Turtle on Jul 24, 2013 wrote:
Somewhere near 7 I believe? Maybe 8. Don't remember exactly o_o
Rank 7 is what they DID have but, it appears that may not be the case now. If they do still have the rank 7 spells, they have been adjusted to be a very rare Cast.

KI, if you did make adjustments to the minions, PLEASE put it back to what it was. These new minions were the best thing you have given wizards in the upper levels in a very long time. So Please, for once don't nerf them.

Wizards need this in the upper worlds.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
DragonLady1818 on Jul 24, 2013 wrote:
Rank 7 is what they DID have but, it appears that may not be the case now. If they do still have the rank 7 spells, they have been adjusted to be a very rare Cast.

KI, if you did make adjustments to the minions, PLEASE put it back to what it was. These new minions were the best thing you have given wizards in the upper levels in a very long time. So Please, for once don't nerf them.

Wizards need this in the upper worlds.
I had a feeling they were to good to be true but if you think about it, if we actually had a usable minion in game wouldn't that put a lot of henchmen out of work. Sadly they put them out big and bad so we were teased by them and then nerfed them to "well if I have 5 pips to spare I may use the minion". I may not even bother with the quest now and since I only have 2 wizards at the required level it will be until the next, if ever, level cap that I even need to consider it - they are parked in AZ.

Personally I really don't use henchmen on a regular basis but I think some players do. I am not proud that I bought my AZ spells with them. I won't buy henchmen for future wizards I will just go with out them since I can't figure it out.

On the other hand I would also think there are a lot of players who really can't afford this luxury in the game and they would of been a good option for that population. In reality does KI really want us bottom feeders playing their game anyway since clearly except for my yrly sub I spend very little extra money in game, should I expect the best the game has to offer with out paying extra for it?

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Northlite on Jul 25, 2013 wrote:
I had a feeling they were to good to be true but if you think about it, if we actually had a usable minion in game wouldn't that put a lot of henchmen out of work. Sadly they put them out big and bad so we were teased by them and then nerfed them to "well if I have 5 pips to spare I may use the minion". I may not even bother with the quest now and since I only have 2 wizards at the required level it will be until the next, if ever, level cap that I even need to consider it - they are parked in AZ.

Personally I really don't use henchmen on a regular basis but I think some players do. I am not proud that I bought my AZ spells with them. I won't buy henchmen for future wizards I will just go with out them since I can't figure it out.

On the other hand I would also think there are a lot of players who really can't afford this luxury in the game and they would of been a good option for that population. In reality does KI really want us bottom feeders playing their game anyway since clearly except for my yrly sub I spend very little extra money in game, should I expect the best the game has to offer with out paying extra for it?
It is very rare that I will use a henchman in the game. Like you, though, I did end up using them for my lvl 88 school spell for my life wizard(which really wasn't worth it. A single enemy DoT. I would have preferred another AoE for life if I have to waste 10 pips on it, no longer loaded in any of my decks). That will be the last time I do use them.

There are a lot of players that can't afford the henchmen and the new minions did give them some kind of hope and a better chance of being able to play a little farther into the game and maybe keeping their subs a while longer.

As paying members, yes we should expect to have access to the best the game has to offer.

So KI, what ever has been done to the new minions, Please fix it back to what it was when Test first opened this time. The rank 7 spells on these minions was not a major game changer in PvE and it would help a lot of players stay in the game longer which also means more revenue. Some are even coming back because of this update, so please fix.

Survivor
Jul 12, 2012
I can't wait until I reach the level 30 so I could see the test realm I heard that it's really cool to defeat in! I have to upgrade my spells and myself to make sure I could do it right. And new minions cool can't wait!

Alicia LifeFountain

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Are the new minions going to be worth the effort to earn them now? Not from what I am seeing and hearing.

KI please leave the minions as they were when you opened test. After my last run with my new life minion I don't see why I should consider doing the quest for him. Yes, I am sure there is going to be a future requirement to do the minion quest , but then that may not matter either.

Explorer
Sep 17, 2008
I'm not 100% sure what you guys are talking about in regards to KI nerfing the minions. I didn't play in the test realm, but I have my new myth minion and he uses Orthrus just fine - that's the 7 pip spell.

He doesn't use it all the time, but he uses it when he has the pips. It seems like he'll cast the most powerful spell that he's able to.

The extra life and the 5-6 pips that he starts with makes a huge difference. I took Talos with me into Azteca and he was having a tough time, I really had to guard him with minion buffs and heals. The new minion is much easier to work with and can take on the enemies there just fine with only a little help from me. Putting 10-12 cards into your deck that are designed to help your minion can make him a power house.

This update actually brought me back to the game, as I hadn't played in months. One of the things that I asked KI for was new and better minions - I honestly didn't expect to see new minions, though. And I couldn't be happier with KI! I wanted to be able to solo quests and later worlds, but was having so much trouble that it was ruining my experience. This update changed that and I'm now actually looking forward to challenging Azteca with my minion.

Thank you, KI!