Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why Does Everybody Hate Marlybone

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 04, 2011
superspy2 on Jan 6, 2014 wrote:
I have many reasons:

1. You get pulled into battle every 5 seconds!
2. Rank 4 at the beginning of the level!
3. Unexpected battles.
4. Pointless quest to get a dumb "Stun" spell.
5. No sidewalks or anything to protect you.
6. Too dark in Regent's Square
7. Bosses are too hard!
8. Dark storyline!
9. Cars? It's supposed to be magical!
10. I love dogs, their so cute, but Marleybone makes them look ugly.

There you go, 10 reasons on why I hate Marleybone.
Lol I agree XD I did Mb on my other characters and the spells are usually useless everytime. And yeah.... the dogs could be cuter :p but bosses aren't too hard, you just have to use the right spells and stuff and you usually end up defeating them. But Big Ben is defiantly hard for a 20 between 30 leveled person/

Defender
Jan 13, 2013
I listend to marleybone musicbox thing it sounds pretty it makes me go sleep in like 5 minutes

Survivor
Jul 28, 2009
I'm nearly done with Marleybone, just Big Ben and Kensington left, and gotta say: Not a fan.

The aggro radii are ridiculous. I'm always getting pulled into unwanted battles on the streets, even when keeping to the sides. Meanwhile, in towers, I'm having to run up and slap them in the face to start the battle.

Storm bosses suck. I can never find my prisms, even when I change my deck to make them more likely to appear. Which leads to me sitting there round after round taking damage, trying to find something to deal any damage at all.

Also, the accuracy debuff some NPCs throw on? That's just rude. -45% on a spell who's base accuracy is 70%. Good luck getting anything to cast.

There was also the last quest chain I did in Knight's court. Law and Disorder, Troll Patrol, Sweeping Sickness. Prior to this line, I had completed all of David Beeman's quests (including 2 trips into instanced towers), and completed Bill Tanner's quest line to save his sister. And then both of them gave me the cold shoulder and demanded I prove myself. Thanks, you ungrateful jerks.

I have to question the logic of having everything occur on roofs as well.

Can't wait till I'm out of this mess.
Kevin Stormrunner 35

Survivor
Jan 16, 2013
I also like Marleybone, but you know, everyone has their opinions, and we should respect that. Some worlds I don't like and others like. But all in all, Marleybone is a nice world, (according to me). And like some people said, it requires patience. To be honest, I took about a month to complete all of Marleybone. Before "Big Ben", I did once with another player to help them.

~Abigail Ashhunter (level 47 balance wizard)

Champion
Aug 15, 2012
It's too dark and developed. Can you think of one time where you get to see sunlight? Not light inside buildings from lamps/candles but light from the sun. Whenever you reach an area that is outside, its at night. That is the whole theme but I'm just more of a morning person.
Saffron Sandsword
Legendary

Survivor
Jan 25, 2014
I like MB because, more foes to harvest, the better, but I do know a weakness to the shield spammers: overlaying the shields like feint, curse and all the element type in 1 and such, or 2, try to get rid of the shields my pawns (or striking) 1 or 0 costs work best... I also like how there is a challenge to fight through on some areas.... that's why you'll need to train if you don't like MB, well, they say, haters does hate
~ Wolf DeathWraith, magus necromancer

Survivor
Jan 27, 2012
I tend to like it less because the music gets annoying, and it seems to take forever. There's also the fact that it's always night, there is pollution everywhere. This tends to make it very gloomy. It is also harder to stay out of street fights because the sidewalk is so nonexistent and the walkway to get to the next section of the street is farther in, adding to the problem. There is no nature anywhere really which can get unfun fast. MooShu is very centered around nature to balance this out, I suppose...It seems to take forever and there are tons of "Go talk to this person" quests. But primarily the urban-toxic-nighttime gloom.

Defender
Jun 13, 2012
I always Loved (with a capitol L) Marleybone. The night sky, twinkling stars, bright lights....
*tells self to get out of trance*
I just love to see the museum, (before it turned to crime scene) and see the giant clock all light-up. I love the clothing style, the housing items, the little shops....
*gets into trance and can't snap out....*
night sky of Marleybone:

Explorer
May 19, 2014
Because in Marleybone you have high health duelers that you aren't ready for like Balance quest
'Takin' the Omnibus'
The boss is 1900 health
The minion himself is 1300.

1900 +
-------

At the level the wizards are some sort of 1400-1500 health.

Survivor
May 25, 2009
Honestly the reason I hated Marleybone was probably just because I'm Myth. With so many storm enemies it's hard to get anything done. Also I guess I just have more patience because I only got pulled into battle once or twice.

Survivor
Aug 11, 2012
I think it's cool design-wise, but some areas are a bit too hard and I'll admit I had been a bit spoiled by the sidewalks in Wizard City and Krokotopia. I haven't finished it yet, I'm currently on Chelsea Court.

Survivor
Aug 11, 2012
Another reason it bothers me is because I really want to get to Mooshu, because I really like ancient Japan and Japan in general. And cows!

Survivor
Jul 06, 2014
Valdus Spell on Jun 15, 2014 wrote:
Because in Marleybone you have high health duelers that you aren't ready for like Balance quest
'Takin' the Omnibus'
The boss is 1900 health
The minion himself is 1300.

1900 +
-------

At the level the wizards are some sort of 1400-1500 health.
Bahaha I beat that thing on the first try lol.

Anyway, back to the thread

I loved Marleybone. The storyline was great. The parody of England was spot on. And it taught you how to avoid mobs, because Mooshu, it's VERY hard to avoid. ANyway, if you guys don't like it, get it over with! I got through Ironworks, Chelsea Court, and Hyde Park in about two hours. Side quests and all. It's a VERY quick world. IF you don't like it, don't stay on it!

Matthew Ironsword: Level 35

Jessica Battleblood: Level 5

See you in the spiral!

Champion
Jul 13, 2013
Dustin SwiftEyes on Jun 10, 2013 wrote:
I was wondering,why does everybody hate Marlybone? I always loved Marlybone, I loved the music and almost everything else. Please reply. ----- Dustin Swift Eyes Level 35 PS. Is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
Well a lot of people don't like it because of the way you always get sucked into battle. Also it is a lot harder than Kroktopia and I think some people just aren't ready for it. Me, I got to Marleybone at level 35, and if you log out and then log back in you can avoid accidental battles(doesn't work for dungeons)
But the thing is I really didn't understand the quest line until Meworiorty came along.
And the world was just too dark for me.
Plus I had bib trouble with the crafting quest.
I don't really favor Marleybone but I don't hate it.
I think all worlds are different and it really just depends on your personality.
I personally like calmer, easier worlds, like Mooshu. But that's just me. There are plenty of people who love Marleybone just as much as you.

Survivor
May 07, 2014
I marleybone i think people hate marleybone because it has no sidewalks you always get caught but not me keira lifepetal

Survivor
Jul 02, 2013
I kinda dislike marleybone because everybody that comes with me chickens out at the last moment leaving me to die. But I really love the graphics and music. I think the people that chicken out are just scared at the amout of health that the bosses have. I just kinda get frustrated.

Lvl.24

Survivor
May 18, 2010
I hate Marlybone because its really dark,hard, and just flat out boring. They need easier battles im level 34 and im still getting my hind handed to me by what? A couple of rats with hoods. 4 ever

Survivor
Sep 04, 2013
marleybone is cool, but its drags on. I am lvl 42, and still have quests there. However i do like the gloom and city like setting. But it is still not my favorite world.

Explorer
Mar 30, 2011
Dustin SwiftEyes on Jun 10, 2013 wrote:
I was wondering,why does everybody hate Marlybone? I always loved Marlybone, I loved the music and almost everything else. Please reply. ----- Dustin Swift Eyes Level 35 PS. Is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
I love marleybone its my favorite world i think they dislike because you always get lured

Explorer
Oct 02, 2012
Marleybone is quite awesome. Not my favorite world, but I enjoyed my times going through it. The mobs are much easier to dodge now there than before. 8 wizards have gone through it and I often go back to farm certain bosses or Kensington park when I need a break from pet raising or Khrysalis.

Survivor
Sep 04, 2013
I'm actually surporised in a way people hate MB so much. DIdn't anyone finish WC and go through that place down by Nightside? You were more likely to get sucked in there and fight tons of extra battles no matter how careful you were and despite the sidewalk. Probably a forshadowing towards MB.

Explorer
Nov 11, 2012
I think everyone hates it because you always get in battles that you don't mean to get into! I like Marleybone but some quests can be quite challenging.

Survivor
Aug 06, 2011
Marlybone is by far my favorite part of the game

Survivor
Dec 15, 2013
Yeah. My balance got pulled a ton, but I'd gotten patient by the time my fire got there, and hardly ever fought a battle I didn't want to fight. And then, right after I finished Marleybone on my fire, KI nerfed the number of mobs and made it easier. And yes, the mobs cast weakness and tower shield like it's no big deal. That also teaches you patience in hard battles. Sometimes it takes a while. Marleybone is (or used to be) all about that.

IMO the hardest areas to get through (when I was there) are Newgate with the mobs in the cells and Chelsea Court with those Midnight Visitors. The rest was more easily manageable.

Defender
May 17, 2014
I don't.

And btw, it doesn't require much patience. I finished it in literally 3 days on my first wizard ever. (my fie)