Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Unfair Stunning and Unfair Balance Wizards

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 24, 2009
mikeysgifts wrote:
Nosleep wrote:
I think it is unfair that balance wizards get to have three shields on one card. To shield against three schools of magic I have to have two turns. I also have to use two spots in my deck. The balance wizard only needs one turn and one spot in their deck. I had to spend two training points to get a shields for schools of magic not shielded by my class. The balance wizard did not have to do that. Do I get a bigger deck? No. Do I get more training points? No.

I don't think the balance wizard poses any great threat because of the power of its spells. It is the unfair advantage regarding shields that should be addressed.

The three shield defences only protect at 50% while the double shield defences protect at 70% and the single shields protect at 80%. That seems fair to me. ...

It does not seem fair to me that I am limited to a 60 card deck and forced to use twice as many spots in my deck to achieve the same thing as a balance wizard. It is not fair that I am forced to spend talent points to suffer this disadvantage that the balance wizard does not have to spend. As for the percentages, how can that matter? All I see on the message boards is balance wizards yelling about the awesome interruption provided by the tower shield. No balance wizard in the world can stand against it. The 50 percent tower shield is crushing to all balance every where blah blah blah. If it is so wonderful to have just one 50 percent shield you can hardly feel put upon to have three 50 percent shields given to you with a single talent point and to have the use of them in a single turn. To get the all powerful tower shield, I have to spend five talent points in class I have no interest in. Does that really seem fair to you?

Survivor
May 04, 2009

Ok, the most simplistic way to explain this stunning is, WHY? Why should stunning be changed, is it not just a tactic? Why, if it is such a big deal do you not go and create your own stunning wizard? Why can you not see that stunning does not really help you all that much?

Here is a basic set-up player a and b are on a team you are player c and d
player a uses stuns for a few rounds while b throws shields and oh god big shock, player a runs out of stuns. hmm... hello people if they wish to continue this, use a little sense yes they can shield, yes they can throw blades, but in the end dont have enough pips left to use them. work your deck while they do this, get that big hitter out and as soon as they cave in their tactic, because they will run out of spells, who is there to mop the floor with them, with all your pips and damage coming their way, hmmm.... enough said. chain stunning is not near as big a deal as many of you seem to think. it may work and you may die, but more often than not the stunners are at the disadvantage when all is over. everyone gets lucky, say you do lose to stuns more often than you win against them, you just arent preparing yourself properly. work your deck, set your cards, if they want to use a stun against you, have your response ready and make them wish they spent more time playing, and less thinking they have an advantage they really don't.

Mastermind
Sep 20, 2008
In my beckett book it says balance changes the way of play! No reason to argue. One stop complaining. Think though. It may be hard getting those spells. So rethink. Make a balance wizard and see whats it like instead of complaining. Stunning. I barley put any of them in my deck. New attack spells some 2 of them include stun? I wouldn't mind being stunned.

Survivor
May 14, 2009
Nosleep wrote:
mikeysgifts wrote:
Nosleep wrote:
I think it is unfair that balance wizards get to have three shields on one card. To shield against three schools of magic I have to have two turns. I also have to use two spots in my deck. The balance wizard only needs one turn and one spot in their deck. I had to spend two training points to get a shields for schools of magic not shielded by my class. The balance wizard did not have to do that. Do I get a bigger deck? No. Do I get more training points? No.

I don't think the balance wizard poses any great threat because of the power of its spells. It is the unfair advantage regarding shields that should be addressed.

The three shield defences only protect at 50% while the double shield defences protect at 70% and the single shields protect at 80%. That seems fair to me. ...

It does not seem fair to me that I am limited to a 60 card deck and forced to use twice as many spots in my deck to achieve the same thing as a balance wizard. It is not fair that I am forced to spend talent points to suffer this disadvantage that the balance wizard does not have to spend. As for the percentages, how can that matter? All I see on the message boards is balance wizards yelling about the awesome interruption provided by the tower shield. No balance wizard in the world can stand against it. The 50 percent tower shield is crushing to all balance every where blah blah blah. If it is so wonderful to have just one 50 percent shield you can hardly feel put upon to have three 50 percent shields given to you with a single talent point and to have the use of them in a single turn. To get the all powerful tower shield, I have to spend five talent points in class I have no interest in. Does that really seem fair to you?

im a balance wizard and my limit is less than 60 and i dont know anything about tower shields :x

Survivor
Dec 18, 2008
achilles975 wrote:
Hello all,
I have seen and heard about many fire wizards, ice wizards, myth wizards, do to much stunning in the arena. When they keep on stunning it makes it really not fair for the opposing team to attack. Please administrators hear my plea, this stunning is really making it unfair. If you wish to keep this stunning make it at least a low accuracy percentage: 30%, 50%, or lower. Because this stunning has really getting annoying.

Also, Balance has really beginning to become a huge threat. Balance wizards get all the set ups and shields which makes it really hard to attack or defend!. Also, there is barely any shields for balance! This is really getting annoying please administrators it would make a big difference if you change balance a little.
well sounds to me like you just dont like the schools and there spells and you have to live with the stuns it is nothing to cry about its just a game

Survivor
Jan 31, 2009

I don't think the balance wizard poses any great threat because of the power of its spells. It is the unfair advantage regarding shields that should be addressed. -Nosleep

Oh yees the shield cards considering they have only 50 percent resist it is fair.

Defender
Feb 03, 2009
Nosleep,

It's hilarious to hear a Fire Wizard complain about a Balance shield advantage. Would you mind telling me how that advantage stacks up against your DoTs?

On another note, it's surprising that you have no interest in the Ice School, yet seem to be complaining endlessly about shield advantage. You Do realize that Ice has the two best shields in the game right? Tower Shield and a Fire/Storm shield, both to be had for the VERY cheap investment of only five talent points. But hey, if you've got something better to spend your talent points on, let me be the first to say "Please share!"

Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
Nosleep wrote:
luffy52 wrote:
mikeysgifts wrote:

Just look at Jack Hammer, the level 9 who made the top 100 list. He is there because of chain stunning.

Maybe the level 9 is just better than all those level 50s

I did not write that. I have no idea who this Jack Hammer is. I do not make a habit of checking ranks and would not know who is where on the list.

I'm sorry I accidently quoted you after i quoted the other guy who did write it, my fault.

Survivor
Sep 11, 2008
Nosleep wrote:
mikeysgifts wrote:
Nosleep wrote:

If you want that tower sheild so much, then why not just buy one at the library that sells those tower shield treasure cards? They only cost at cheap gold price.

Survivor
Sep 11, 2008
achilles975 wrote:
CatSydsMom wrote:
Before you start crying foul and claiming Balance wizards are too strong, I highly suggest you create a balance wizard and play through the game with him/her. Once you've done that, you can let us know if you still think Balance is too strong and has unfair advantages.

Cat

Oh, really?
How come then,
They get a lot of charms and buffs,
They get a lot of shields,
There is barely a shield for a balance attack(besides hex shield),
They get a lot of health,
They get a lot of accuracy,
Seriously thats too much,
This is just what I think you all have your opinions but some agree with my opinions. What I am trying to explain is that no one is perfect when it comes to fairness.
Don't take this the wrong way, but life wizards are sole healers and they have a great advantage with accuracy and all. But then again fire wizards pile aura(DoTs) spells to slowly yet quickly finish their oppenents. Or you have ice wizards with all that health and defenses. And then you have death wizards that steal your health... blah blah blah... I can go on and on about any school and their advatages(but obviously not all of them) and complain about all day long. But my point is... I'm not complaining. I understand that wizards who are balance may seem "unfair" with their advantages, but what about the other schools? So my question is... is it really worth complaining about wizards and their schools? You can't stop wizards from becoming balance wizards or any other school. Same also applies for stunning. That's all.

Survivor
Aug 12, 2008
Balance is not overpoered.
Every school has shields they can set up, why is it only a problem when balance set them up? Balance shields only shield 50%, which is the same as a tower shield. So their shields shield the same amount as tower shields which shield against them. Balance is limited to 2-3 good attacks over all. Judgement just needs one tower shield to block really. It is not hard, and maybe through in weakness. With balance, unlike other schools, any wand attack ruins their buffs. So even if they were to use wand to get rid of weakness, it would use ALL of their buffs since balance buffs are not school-specific. Make a balance wizard, and go through the game. Then you will realize how difficult it is to be balanced.

Survivor
Apr 26, 2009
How about taking into account balance has no shield against their own school for those who complain about not having a shield against balance. From what I've seen every school has a shield against their own school. So um, hey get a balance spell and use it against a balance wizard. They only have resist if they wear balance clothing which I've found most don't including myself. I have resist against all schools. It serves me better than just one school resist clothing.

As many have said already our shield percentage is 25% less than the other shields. With a high hitting spell that is a significant difference. Not so significant with a low hitting spell and can be overcome by most buffs. The buffs I've seen are 40%. Ours? 25% for the single balance buff. The triples 30%. Oh wait those are available to everyone so lets see every school can use our triple buffs so add that to their 40% buff and oh no you now have 70% buff which overcomes our small 50% shield by 20%. Sorry it all seems pretty fair to me.

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
How about make a new Balance spell that reflects stuns?

Explorer
Jan 18, 2009
Hey, what if I think storm wizards are overpowered?

They get a four pip attack that can deal 500 damage!

They get a 6 pip attack that can deal 900 damage!

They get a spell that puts a positive ward on all opponents!

Not fair!

But, as you've noticed, I mentioned nothing of their lack of accuracy, lack of health and lack of defence.

In effect, you all are doing the same thing. Balance wizards do cast many negative wards (shields) and negative charms (weaknesses). But instead of taking annoyance at the part of the balance school that simply gets in your way, and wanting to get rid of it so balance wizards are even easier to destroy, think about their own disadvantages. They don't get strong spells, and they get few attacking spells. Many of their manipulation spells cost ridiculous pip amounts (give power? Three pips?), so removing the shields of a balance wizard would completely destroy them.

If it gets in your way, find away around it. Not every obstacle on the path is going to be taken away for you, try surmounting some of your own.

Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
uune wrote:
Hey, what if I think storm wizards are overpowered?

They get a four pip attack that can deal 500 damage!

They get a 6 pip attack that can deal 900 damage!

They get a spell that puts a positive ward on all opponents!

Not fair!

But, as you've noticed, I mentioned nothing of their lack of accuracy, lack of health and lack of defence.

In effect, you all are doing the same thing. Balance wizards do cast many negative wards (shields) and negative charms (weaknesses). But instead of taking annoyance at the part of the balance school that simply gets in your way, and wanting to get rid of it so balance wizards are even easier to destroy, think about their own disadvantages. They don't get strong spells, and they get few attacking spells. Many of their manipulation spells cost ridiculous pip amounts (give power? Three pips?), so removing the shields of a balance wizard would completely destroy them.

If it gets in your way, find away around it. Not every obstacle on the path is going to be taken away for you, try surmounting some of your own.

this persons smart hard to get rid of that arguement unless you're gonna whine about it still being unfair but hey he already put down that arguement so meh

Survivor
Apr 24, 2009
Dridsuzy wrote:
Nosleep,

It's hilarious to hear a Fire Wizard complain about a Balance shield advantage. Would you mind telling me how that advantage stacks up against your DoTs?

On another note, it's surprising that you have no interest in the Ice School, yet seem to be complaining endlessly about shield advantage. You Do realize that Ice has the two best shields in the game right? Tower Shield and a Fire/Storm shield, both to be had for the VERY cheap investment of only five talent points. But hey, if you've got something better to spend your talent points on, let me be the first to say "Please share!"

Wow. My complaint is about how many talent points it takes for me to get the same number of shields a balance wizard gets and the space those shields take up in my deck. How would spending five talents to get a single shield that would require additional space in my deck answer those concerns?

As for damage, no balnace wizard can hold a candle to a fire wizard regarding damage. (get it, candle... fire wizard). I came to the message board hoping to learn better ways to fight in the arena and I have. I am, however, still of the opinion that the shield/talent point/deck space thing is unfair.

Defender
Oct 03, 2008
Nosleep, if you're comparing balance shields to other schools, the other schools actually have superior shields. Balance shields only reduce damage by 50%, same as tower shield. The other schools guard against 70% damage and the school specific shields guard against 80% damage. Balance wizards need 2 shield spells to get the effect of a tower shield, and takes up far more room in a deck than if you went with tower shield. Therefore, while balance shields do cost no training points, they are in fact the weakest shields of all the schools.

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necromancer

Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
Nosleep wrote:
Dridsuzy wrote:
Nosleep,

Wow. My complaint is about how many talent points it takes for me to get the same number of shields a balance wizard gets and the space those shields take up in my deck. How would spending five talents to get a single shield that would require additional space in my deck answer those concerns?

As for damage, no balnace wizard can hold a candle to a fire wizard regarding damage. (get it, candle... fire wizard). I came to the message board hoping to learn better ways to fight in the arena and I have. I am, however, still of the opinion that the shield/talent point/deck space thing is unfair.

Ok then put it at this balance is supposed to be buffers, your not. What your basicly complaining about is not getting as good buffs as the balance wizard

Survivor
Dec 10, 2008
achilles975 wrote:
Hello all,
I have seen and heard about many fire wizards, ice wizards, myth wizards, do to much stunning in the arena. When they keep on stunning it makes it really not fair for the opposing team to attack. Please administrators hear my plea, this stunning is really making it unfair. If you wish to keep this stunning make it at least a low accuracy percentage: 30%, 50%, or lower. Because this stunning has really getting annoying.

Also, Balance has really beginning to become a huge threat. Balance wizards get all the set ups and shields which makes it really hard to attack or defend!. Also, there is barely any shields for balance! This is really getting annoying please administrators it would make a big difference if you change balance a little.

That would just make everyone else over powered. I love challenges and bring 3-2 friends along to the Arena pretty much everyday.

I pretty much discovered the keys to stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong but:

Fire > Ice

Life > Death

Balance > Life

Myth > Balance

Storm > Fire

Ice > Storm

Death > Life

And so on.

I've tooken about 30 pages of notes depending on Weaknesses/Strengths and such. I've pretty much loaded up my entire Ex-School supplies using the Papers we were told to use for a BIG report on Mythology. So yeah.

Sincerely,

Adrian Thunderblood, Lv. 26 pyromancer.

P.S. Don't you think Cyrus Drake may be in a future quest when he turns evil like Malistaire or something?

Defender
Feb 03, 2009

If you've come seeking knowledge, then my first suggestion would be to not fill up every slot in your deck. This only causes you to draw the wrong cards at the most pivotal moments in a duel. Trim your deck down to a lean and mean core and use reshuffles. Pick an offensive strategy and go for it. Don't try to include all of Fires bells and whistles...it won't work.

Defensively, there is not a better use for five training points in the game other than putting them into Ice for Tower Shield and the Storm/Fire shield. I honestly DEFY anyone to refute that. I'm a Grandmaster Balance Wizard and that's where my first 5 training points went, regardless of this whole shield/space thing you're griping about. My next three went into Life to get the Death/Myth shield. Yes, these 75% shields are THAT important to me. They should be for you too.

The elemental/spirit balance shields are nice, don't get me wrong, but they don't hold a candle to these double shields as often times only one out of the three shields is even effective. This leaves me with a measly 50% reduction to the blocked spell and two useless shields that get to rotate around me for the rest of the match. These shields are great for PvE as you never seem to know what school a mob is going to use, but in the Arena, they are subpar and I usually only include one of each while strengthening my defense with multiple of the Storm/Fire, Death/Myth, and Tower Shields.

My remaining Talent points...two into Fire for Fire Elf, and 7 into Death for Feint. As you can see, the whole idea of a Secondary School is ridiculous. The biggest thing being that you cannot use Power Pips to cast those spells. Use your Training points to get spells that either help you defensively or augments the damage of your main school. I hope this helps....this concludes today's lesson. :)

Defender
May 15, 2009
Nosleep wrote:
I think it is unfair that balance wizards get to have three shields on one card. To shield against three schools of magic I have to have two turns. I also have to use two spots in my deck. The balance wizard only needs one turn and one spot in their deck. I had to spend two training points to get a shields for schools of magic not shielded by my class. The balance wizard did not have to do that. ...

This argument, like most in this thread, is oversimplified.
The "three shields on one card" argument didn't take into account the differing shielding values and the casting cost.

That's like saying "You have three bills in your wallet and I only have one; that's not fair." while ignoring the values of those bills: three $5 bills to your one $20 bill.

Survivor
Mar 22, 2009
Balance wizards, though a tough fight, can be defeated with the right spells and choices so though I feel that not all the classes have an equall amount of ups and downs and alot is still left unfair changes, I'm 100% sure, Will come in the future.

About the stunning issue. Never once have I been stunned in the arena so I'm not so sure it happens to be a re-occouring factor though it is also another thing that fits into their class. Thats all I have to say.

Thanks, Beauxarts/Luke FireGlade

Survivor
Mar 07, 2009
I am a Fire wizard lvl 29
For every class (besies Balance) you would get two shields the take away 80% of the damage to a spell. While balance get three shields, but the only take away 50% of the damage. So really the balance shields take away half like the shield you get at lvl 16 if your an ice wizard. When an ice wizard alreay gets two shields at lvl 8

Personal I don't use stun because for a fire wizard to stun would take 2pips . Which I would think would be a waste of pips. But it would stun all the enemies with a 80% chance it won't fizzle. When it comes to an ice stun it doesn't take any pips but it has a 70% chance it won't fizzle. So it would be a fair watch up in the arena if it was a 1v1 or 2v2.

Survivor
Apr 15, 2009
ok guys i didn't read all the pages and i don't know if this was mentioned but myth's single stun has 70% accuracy not 100 and even its better one that stuns everyone has 100% but it takes 2 pips so they can't stun Every turn

Survivor
Apr 05, 2009
well i agree that the myth and fire whole team stun spells are really unfair they are ok if used once in a while but there are teams of people with two or three fire /myth wizards that just chain stun all the time somtimes like fifteen times in a row. This is not fair in arena.

However i dont agree with your balance argument i mean balance dont really have that many good attacks judgment is there only one and even then you can shield against it with towers and absorbs. As well as this if people have a shield on then it is really hard to get rid of it because balance if they use a wand attack use up all there blades and have to start over so really judgment is not an impossible spell to stop. O and also KI have made the level 48 balance spell quite weak in comparsin to the other attack ones.