Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is this really a family site?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 15, 2011
Although there has been talk about curbing the cursing, I haven't noticed a decrease at all. I was told this is a family game, but to be honest, it's disgusting when my little kids get on here and then call me over to ask what something means. Spaces between letters and wrongly spelled words don't leave too much to the imagination, which I suppose is the problem in the first place. People that use these types of words cannot express themselves in adult words, so they feel they must express their frustration to everyone, instead of private message them to people who care.

Yesterday, my ten-year-old son asked me what "*********" means. (If that isn't supposed to be on this board, my ten-year-old should not have to see it either.) I think the code of conduct is quite clear. I also know that I pay to play with my family and have a good time, not to be a spy. But if I don't, it will obviously continue, as it is now.

So is this a family game? I know I've sunk quite a bit of money into it and paying to have my kids polluted just doesn't seem wise.

What are your thoughts?

Administrator
You, as the parent, have control over the levels of chat that your children have access to in Wizard101.

For your account, you have opted in to the 18+ chat as an adult, and the chat you see is not the chat your children see.

You have enabled text chat on an under13 account. It was your choice to open up the text chat to your underage player and we can help you change it back to Menu Chat as recommended.

We have a Hall Monitor system in place (https://www.wizard101.com/game/community/updatenotes#hm) and all current Members have the ability to report 'swearing around the filter' through the Report button that appears when you click on a players name in the chat window.

Wizard101 has three levels of chat:
Menu Chat: This is also referred to as "bubble chat". It is completely safe and all players may use the Menu Chat.

To use Menu Chat, simply select the Chat icon from the upper left corner of your screen. A list of categories and words will appear that you can select from that looks like this:

This is the chat level all accounts under age 13 should have, and we recommend against changing this level of chat if your child is under 13. However you as the parent have the ability to expand on the level of chat your child is exposed to based on what you feel comfortable with them seeing and using.

Text Chat: This is a form of chat that allows you to communicate with other players by pressing the Enter key and typing words from our dictionary.

When you press Enter on your keyboard, you can type words from our Wizard Dictionary, and then hit Enter to say your sentence.

Chat can be seen in two different ways:

1. “Say” – is a kind of chat that anyone in your area can see. These appear as bubbles above your character's head as well as sentences in the Chat Window.

2. “Text” – is person to person chat regardless of where they are in the game (remember: you can only Text to your level of approved chat). You can use this chat with characters that are on your Friends List .

This is the level of chat you have opted your child into.

18+ Open Chat
18+ Open Chat allows players a more open communication environment with other 18+ players.

This chat will be filtered for profanity. In this channel, when players type their text they will see 3 colors in the chat window: white means 13+ can see it, yellow means only 18+ can see it, and red is completely filtered.

This chat feature is in response to our community's requests. To ensure the highest level of safety, we have chosen to provide this for our active Members only.

Please note that this option is off by default, and you must actively select this option under Account Management.

Our terms for in-game communication with other players will remain the same. Violent and abusive behavior, as well as the exchange of personal information is still not acceptable.

Accounts must be verified as 18+ through a valid credit card on file with Wizard101.

This is the level of chat you have opted into for your parent account.

community@wizard101.com
Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Watersong888 wrote:
Although there has been talk about curbing the cursing, I haven't noticed a decrease at all. I was told this is a family game, but to be honest, it's disgusting when my little kids get on here and then call me over to ask what something means. Spaces between letters and wrongly spelled words don't leave too much to the imagination, which I suppose is the problem in the first place. People that use these types of words cannot express themselves in adult words, so they feel they must express their frustration to everyone, instead of private message them to people who care.

Yesterday, my ten-year-old son asked me what "*********" means. (If that isn't supposed to be on this board, my ten-year-old should not have to see it either.) I think the code of conduct is quite clear. I also know that I pay to play with my family and have a good time, not to be a spy. But if I don't, it will obviously continue, as it is now.

So is this a family game? I know I've sunk quite a bit of money into it and paying to have my kids polluted just doesn't seem wise.

What are your thoughts?

KI provides a very easy way to avoid this problem - it's called Menu Chat. Allowing a child Filtered Chat is not KI responsibility.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Watersong888 wrote:

What are your thoughts?

Watersong, I understand what you are saying and so do the Admins and Professors along with many other players.

There has been a lot of effort over the past few months to try and get the foul language under control. Part of the problem has been do to the fact that many of us have not been paying attention to what has really happened to a game we all love to play. We have been negligent in using the Report Button that KI gave us and the foul language got out of control in some areas of the game.

There have been several groups form since the end of the last school term due to this outbreak and they have been pushing that button so much that we did create a backlog for KI with uncountable reports. KI is aware of the problem and has recently set up the "Hall Monitor" program which is still not fully implemented but. KI is doing a thorough back ground check on all of those they select as "Hall Monitors" and this does take time. Many of us are doing what we can to support them the best we can.

Please use the information that Professor Greyrose has posted to help reduce what your children are able to see. I would also like to reccommend that you check to see what realm they are playing in. If they are playing in WU realm, please have them switch to another less populated one. KI is still working on the Hall Monitor program and I am sure we will see more of them and more expansions on what will be done in the game.

We have asked for other changes as well that will reduce the amount of foul language seen in the game and we will stay very vigilant anywhere in the game we happen to be questing.

Fallon WinterLeaf Founding Member WCP

Mastermind
Dec 11, 2011
I agree here. You shouldn't have to restrict chat because this is suppose to be a family game. If they can't control cursing, take out chat completely. I honestly don't play anymore, because of it, but I still post here.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
I can understand your concern.

Professor GreyRose has given you the options.

Now for my opinion! KI is very much indeed, making Family Games. They are very committed to this fact.

Hall Monitors have just been introduced, it is going to take time to get the cursing under control. These hooligans keep pushing the envelope to see how far they can take it. They test the limits and cry fowl, trying to make the hall monitors look bad. Fear not, I have full confidence that KI is taking this issue very seriously.

Many people, not just KI, but us as well, have ignored this problem for far too long, which is why it got so out of hand. Now that we are no longer ignoring the problem, those rule breakers are not happy and throwing their tantrums, but in the end, they will learn that this is a Family Game and people and KingsIsle will not stand for it.

I ask that for now, you have some faith that the spiral is being cleaned up!
Maybe give them text chat for now, or have a little patience with KI, because they are concerned about this situation as well.

Thank you,
DarthJT

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Watersong888 wrote:
Yesterday, my ten-year-old son asked me what "*********" means.

If you are refering to regular game play, then it appears that you signed your 10 yo child up with an 18+ account. Who's the dummy?

If you mean that your 10yo saw inappropriate language on the message boards then i fully agree with you and the forum moderators failed (assuming "*********" refers to something inappropriate).

I have been playing this game very regularly for two months and have encountered very little inapproriate language. Lots of annoying players that i delete as "friend". Perhaps my experience is very positive because I team up with like-minded friends, focus on game play, and spend very little time socializing with strangers.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
I think Professor Greyrose pretty much covered it.

A child under the age of 13 will not see anything in open chat unless you as the parent have allowed that level of chat.

And I disagree that it hasn't gotten better. As an adult, I see everything that's typed... and report as needed. I have seen others do the same, and still others that will explain why they are reporting.

We are ultimately in control of what the kids see...and don't see.
My recommendation: change your child's chat back to where it should be for their age level and he/she will not see anything at all except other menu chats.

Defender
May 24, 2012
Dear Watersong,
I know it's hard to find places today where your children can play and be safe at the same time. I also find some of the language disturbing and I'm older than you. What finally helped me was staying away from "common" areas. Around the pool in the commons, in the bazaar, around the entrances to Triton Ave, Cyclops and Firecat. I have also turned off all invitations to be friends, trade cards or gear, and basically do not willingly get into a duel circle with anyone else. If there are groups hanging around where I am I try to be somewhere else. That being said...........your child may really want to talk and bond with other children so the possibility of hearing some language is heightened. Some of these "children" have learned to type around the filters, as you've noticed, and there are other responsible players monitoring and reporting them as much as possible. The final responsibility is mine. Your child (or children) may not like the idea of keeping to to himself and just playing the game. That, however, may be the best solution. Brecken Ashwalker, Astute Necromancer, Krok Killer

Survivor
Sep 15, 2011
While I understand the filter for children under thirteen, and my son is ten, I am in my forties and it is offensive to me! I cannot be the only person "trash talk" is offensive to. However, the posts I'm reading state to play in less populated areas, which I agree with, and I'm also happy to hear about the monitor site.

After so many offenses, the offenders should be banned. Although it will not stop them from starting a new account, it will certainly be a pain, hopefully causing them to think a little. When they use this language, the least they can do is private chat.

(Incidentally, my ten-year-old son is homeschooled at a fifteen-year-old level.... NO ONE should have to see this...)

Here's to hoping the monitor sparks up soon!

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
Watersong888 yes this is a family game. Is it perfect? No, but KI is working hard to fix the problems with naughty wizards in the Spiral.

There is a setting in the spellbook to turn off overhead chat bubbles. I would suggest doing that if your young wizard has Text or Open chat. I would suggest using Text chat. They will see less bad stuff with Text chat. Then you can close the chat box and nothing is seen unless the chat box is open.

Hall Monitors are new to Spiral and a wonderful addition. They have made a noticeable impact in the short time they have been in game. KI takes the family friendly status of the game seriously. They are actively working on cleaning up problems.

Megan Frostriver

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Your 10 year old shouldn't even have filtered chat. Why does he have open in the first place? (Assuming thats how he got to read this "*********" of yours)

Survivor
Sep 15, 2011
Ronster55 wrote:
Your 10 year old shouldn't even have filtered chat. Why does he have open in the first place? (Assuming thats how he got to read this "*********" of yours)

To make a legitimate argument, you need to understand the facts presented, and that means "listening" before you "speak."

No, my son does NOT have open chat...

Also, I thanked KI for doing what they can to prevent anyone from having to read this. Setting my son aside, I don't appreciate the degenerative manner in which people break words up in their bubbles (putting a serious effort into swearing) when it's a "family game." Save that garbage for Warcraft.

But again (in case you didn't see it) thank KI for taking action and I am excited for results.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
If i understand correctly, he signed up his 10yo child with an 18+ account by lying about his age? Then he can't take 5 minutes to look at the game settings to see what he can do about it. Instead he jumps on a forum and complains.

KI has more patience than me!

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
Watersong888 wrote:

What are your thoughts?

watersong
i can garrentie you this is a family game
now about those naughty wizards using foul mouth on a family game
if ya see any "weird words" ( aka foul mouth ) when your son asks what a word means simply say
" thats a foul word and have your son report the person for cursing"
this will help the foul players be dealt with
another way to approach it
play along side him no matter what
if your son is online try to stick by his side all the time
whether its in game or offline
you can monitor your son's gaming to allow easy rides

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
The first time my grandchild asked me what this word was, I replied "oh it's someone trying to swear" and that was the end of it. The less of a big deal you make of things to children the less of a big deal they will take it.

We may live a more seedy life though, my kids and grand kids went/go to public schools, by 3rd grade they have heard all the bad words, I know I did. My husband - their father and grandfather is a good ole farm boy and swears like a truck driver, actually my brother who is a truck driver swears less, so they have heard these words since birth and frankly never notice them or give them any thought.

I shelter my kids and now grand kids from a lot of things but swearing has never been on the top of my list.They know they are bad words and they never use them in front of us but even all the way up to my daughter who is in her 40's none of them swear in front of us.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Watersong888 wrote:
While I understand the filter for children under thirteen, and my son is ten, I am in my forties and it is offensive to me! I cannot be the only person "trash talk" is offensive to. However, the posts I'm reading state to play in less populated areas, which I agree with, and I'm also happy to hear about the monitor site.

After so many offenses, the offenders should be banned. Although it will not stop them from starting a new account, it will certainly be a pain, hopefully causing them to think a little. When they use this language, the least they can do is private chat.

(Incidentally, my ten-year-old son is homeschooled at a fifteen-year-old level.... NO ONE should have to see this...)

Here's to hoping the monitor sparks up soon!

I'd LOVE to meet you, Watersong888! My children also home school, and I love to use Wizard101 as a teaching and learning tool. I am a member of the Wizard City Protectors group, as the foul language and behavior are also offensive to me. We have some things in common :)

Please brush off the unpleasant comments you've seen here; those people are just angry that they can't talk trash and litter in the common areas anymore.

Warmest Regards,

Queenlybluebean, Wizarding Mom
Iridian Shadowweaver, Archmage Theurgist

Survivor
Sep 15, 2011
RottenHeart wrote:
If i understand correctly, he signed up his 10yo child with an 18+ account by lying about his age? Then he can't take 5 minutes to look at the game settings to see what he can do about it. Instead he jumps on a forum and complains.

KI has more patience than me!

No, you "do not" understand correctly. Perhaps if you read the entry again, you will. :D

Ms. Watersong

Survivor
Sep 15, 2011
grvy123 wrote:
Watersong888 wrote:

What are your thoughts?

watersong
i can garrentie you this is a family game
now about those naughty wizards using foul mouth on a family game
if ya see any "weird words" ( aka foul mouth ) when your son asks what a word means simply say
" thats a foul word and have your son report the person for cursing"
this will help the foul players be dealt with
another way to approach it
play along side him no matter what
if your son is online try to stick by his side all the time
whether its in game or offline
you can monitor your son's gaming to allow easy rides

Love your input and advice. Some things are left better stating it and leaving it alone. No sense in drudging around bad feelings when what can be done is, right?

Something else we've done is keeping him out of the more populated sites by changing realms. He loves to do pet races, which is the only real reason he goes thru the main areas.

What's interesting to me is according to some of these other readers it's supposed to be excused because he is signed up for a 13-year-old account. Truth be told, I don't feel like I should have to see it either.

But I love what you've suggested and will definitely take it to heart. Thank you!

Survivor
Sep 15, 2011
brwac wrote:
The first time my grandchild asked me what this word was, I replied "oh it's someone trying to swear" and that was the end of it. The less of a big deal you make of things to children the less of a big deal they will take it.

We may live a more seedy life though, my kids and grand kids went/go to public schools, by 3rd grade they have heard all the bad words, I know I did. My husband - their father and grandfather is a good ole farm boy and swears like a truck driver, actually my brother who is a truck driver swears less, so they have heard these words since birth and frankly never notice them or give them any thought.

I shelter my kids and now grand kids from a lot of things but swearing has never been on the top of my list.They know they are bad words and they never use them in front of us but even all the way up to my daughter who is in her 40's none of them swear in front of us.

Good advice! Don't make it a big deal unless you want it to be a big deal... With this in mind, I'm signing off on comments! Thank you!

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Watersong888 wrote:
Ronster55 wrote:

To make a legitimate argument, you need to understand the facts presented, and that means "listening" before you "speak."

According to KI:

How do I get Text Chat?
If you are unable to use the chat function, it is possible that your account does not have Text Chat enabled. Accounts set up as over 13 players are able to use the Text Chat.

Text Chat for players with under 13 accounts can only be turned on by a parent/guardian over age 18. The parent/guardian must validate his/her age by buying a subscription or crowns with a valid credit card.

Text Chat: This is a form of chat that allows you to communicate with other players by pressing the Enter key and typing words from our dictionary.

My conclusion from Watersong's post, his 10yo son was using open text chat and viewed an offensive word. If there is more to the story it should have been indicated in the post. Watersong, don't get frustrated if people read your post and answer it with logical responses based on information provided.

Edit:
You posted " Yesterday, my ten-year-old son asked me what "*********" means." This implies your son saw an offensive word. Either it is in the dictionary or your son has 18+ open chat and you lied about your son's age when you setup his account. I read your initial post about 10 times. Perhaps there are more unstated facts but at the very least knowingly provided your child with access to chat intended for 13+. You have no other clarification in your posts.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
It is entirely possible that Watersong888 and son have seen cursing around the filter, suggestive chat, and other creative means of impolite communication. I have seen the entire range of rude and crude behavior expressed quite effectively in filtered chat.

@grvy123, You offer some very good advice for escorting children through the Spiral.

@Various others, I think your replies to the OP are a little harsh, and might read as impolite.

@Watersong888,

There are many high emotions in the Great Spiral, as you see reflected in some of the replies in this thread. Please accept my apologies if you found any of them hurtful or unwelcoming. I assure you that the forum community here is generally helpful and warm.

I think the answer to your initial question is complex, so I will only focus on safety, education, and complications.

As grvy123 mentioned, there is a way to ensure that your child is safe at all times in the Great Spiral. The trick to this method is to start a new wizard at the same time as the child, and then quest together all of the time. To further augment the safety factor, travel on perfect realms and keep the friends' lists small. Turn off overhead chat and keep the chat box closed to silence the environmental chatter. In this manner, the parent and child can travel in perfect textual peace, and encounter dialogue or narrative only when prompted by NPCs along the story line.

The problem with this solution, IMHO, is that the child will miss exposure to some powerful communication opportunities, social interactions, and an authentic experience in the MMORPG environment. I find these essential elements of my pleasure in traveling the Great Spiral, and I am reluctant to limit my sons' enjoyment with such restrictions to their ability to exchange information and converse with other wizards. Both of my children have filtered text chat on their accounts, so I am particularly concerned with the types of conversations that occur in common areas of the game.

In many ways, playing Wizard101 is a springboard for enriching explorations of the real world, historical counterparts of characters, events, and literature. I use game play as a simulation of textual interaction and teamwork; my younger son is learning to type, spell, and compose sentences as he plays in the Spiral, my older son practices patience, planning, and organization skills that he sorely needs to master for success IRL. The strategy and math skills necessary to defeat challenging bosses, and the analysis skills necessary to hatch amazing pets comprise an impressive catalog of knowledge sets preliminary to interest in engineering, science, and biology.

Both of my children transfer a wealth of knowledge and skills back into the real world, where we continue to expand on relational topics, and develop content for a wide variety of assignments. There are many, many educational applications for Wizard 101 :)

I suppose there are many reasons to say "Yes, Wizard101 is intended as a family game", BUT our community is currently at odds over the definition of family-friendly. Some of us believe that family-friendly means clean language and positive interaction. Some of use feel entitled to use foul language and indulge in lewd behavior. Many of us are confused and agitated by the seemingly sudden imposition of the Terms of Use. Sadly, the Great Spiral is in turmoil. I am optimistic that the introduction of in-game moderators will help to reinforce the rules of polite public behavior.

Regardless of discord currently at work in our community, I continue to believe that Wizard101 is a family-friendly game, and that Kings Isle recognizes the value of its core players, children and families.

Warmest Regards,

Queenlybluebean
Iridian Shadowweaver, Archmage Theurgist

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Watersong888 wrote:
Ronster55 wrote:

Also, I thanked KI for doing what they can to prevent anyone from having to read this. Setting my son aside, I don't appreciate the degenerative manner in which people break words up in their bubbles (putting a serious effort into swearing) when it's a "family game." Save that garbage for Warcraft.

But again (in case you didn't see it) thank KI for taking action and I am excited for results.

Sorry if I came off rude... But come on, when you first here that a child who never heard the swear before pronounce it correctly with no to little error, I automatically went under the assumption it was spelled correctly with some smart little troll typo.

Ex: Suppose Tomato was a curse (Not using a curse as an example, LOL, *Ronster55 has been banned* XD) Someone would say something like Too mat toe or toy may toe, assuming KI already censored toe may toe and all the other funny stuff. Your child would pronounce Tomato like Toymahtoo or something funny in a reduntant voice, and not Tomato like it actually sounds out loud. Thats what I meant. I went under the basic assumption. And I didn't see where in your main post you said "My son has filter chat only, and not open"

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
Ronster55 wrote:
Watersong888 wrote:
Ronster55 wrote:

Sorry if I came off rude... But come on, when you first here that a child who never heard the swear before pronounce it correctly with no to little error, I automatically went under the assumption it was spelled correctly with some smart little troll typo.

Ex: Suppose Tomato was a curse (Not using a curse as an example, LOL, *Ronster55 has been banned* XD) Someone would say something like Too mat toe or toy may toe, assuming KI already censored toe may toe and all the other funny stuff. Your child would pronounce Tomato like Toymahtoo or something funny in a reduntant voice, and not Tomato like it actually sounds out loud. Thats what I meant. I went under the basic assumption. And I didn't see where in your main post you said "My son has filter chat only, and not open"

The creativity of Ronster never ceases to amaze me.

Survivor
Feb 13, 2012
I joined the game a few months ago and heartily approve of the parental control over chat that protects young people while playing online. Parents can - AND SHOULD - use the filtered chat and menu chat options to protect their children from inappropriate language and, more importantly, from opening themselves to potentially frightening person-to-person online contact by sharing personal information. Think about it this way: one would not take a child to a rated R movie. [KI at least tries to restrict anything resembling X-rated language.] The open, unfiltered chat is for those of us who do not need child-safe and child-friendly chat restrictions and would like to type normally and engage in chat conversation with fellow players. At least KI lets us report offensive chat.

Yes, this is a family game. R-rated language is pretty much the norm for any MMORPG but at least KI tries to do something to clean it up. If you want to ensure the benefits of this family-friendly gaming environment, then you've got to help yourself by exercising the parental controls.