Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

50% Balance Shield needed!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 10, 2010
I'll start by answering your question joujou11cool

joujou11cool wrote:

Also, can you please tell me how to quote some of the person's post instead of all.

When you quote someone you will find at the beginning a quote=_______ inside of brackets, and /quote inside brackets at the end. You simply remove everything between these two you don't want to copy. There are other ways, I find that the easiest though. Hope that helps. :)

Now to darthjt
darthjt wrote:
archmage987 wrote:

For you storm players, how often do you carry disarm? Not often I bet. Can you time removing that charm before he uses it, and is the loss of one pip over potential damage worth it?

Disarm, should be in fact, a 0 pip spell. If it was, it would be worth storm using this spell, but in fact, using a pip to remove a blade and wasting that time and pips is not as beneficial for storm.

You are proving my point with this statement. Neither you nor I seriously utilize this spell.

darthjt wrote:
archmage987 wrote:

For you myth players, how often do you carry shatter storm over earthquake? Rarely, why would you? For one more pip you do damage, get all charms, and hit all opponents.

Actually, fyi, shatter is a 3 pip spell and earthquake is a 6 pip spell. The use of these spells vary on how many oppenents you have. If vs a multiplayer, myth would use Earthquake over shatter most of the time. However, if several shields were in place and several traps were placed, shatter would be more effective, especially if a friend is attacking that same round!

First thank you for the correction. You are indeed correct with the cost. I assume though you grievance is in 1v1 play, not team vs team. It is from that stand point I made my statement. In said such scenario do you really carry shatter, or do you do damage and get all his shields and blades at no pip loss? Pip loss being using two power pips for one shatter or three power pips for earthquake.

darthjt wrote:
archmage987 wrote:

For fire, triage? Except from yourself do you really have to worry about dot spells? Even mobs lean more towards single massive hit spells.

Triage is not as widely used as you might think, especially not in PvP. It is nice to have, but does not always help you, or save you.

Kinda my point. Fire has the potential to use it. Do they? I won't say never, but I think really rarely is a fair statement. It is one spell that is most beneficial to counter their own school. A satyr would more often be a better choice for one's deck since you know you will need and not glut it with additional cards you will probably end up discarding anyway.

darthjt wrote:
archmage987 wrote:

Need I go on?

Please do, I find this fascinating!

I am honestly unsure if you are being honest, or sarcastic with me.

darthjt wrote:
archmage987 wrote:

What has traditionally been the hardest school opponent for any school to deal with? There own. For six out of the seven schools that meant waiting around for your conversions to show up, then casting the attack. Balance didn't have any such option, till recently, except to use a spirit school at a loss of efficiency.

Really? What is spectral blast and hydra?

Back at you. Really? When do most balance mages get spectral blast? Krock. Which shield spell do balance mobs cast at this point of the game? Elemental Shield. Add to the complexity that a balance mage has no control over which element the spell will produce. You could cast is three times and hit a shield each time, or you might not.

Hydra? By this point balance mobs are casting both elemental and spirit shield. So either it goes through, or it stuffed across the boards.
darthjt wrote:
archmage987 wrote:

Once balance had a hey day in the arena, then everyone learned that weakness ruins balance's day. Funny how weakness is now on the must learn for pvp list. Yes, it has a 70% boost. They also have the fewest boosts, and the most easily thwarted "blades". Decent compensation I think.

As I stated before, balance has a balance blade 25% and bladestorm 20% how is that less of a boost than most schools?

The key word is boost. Not number, but how effective. Storm averages 120 damage per pip. Fire 100, death about 90 (this disregards the steal life spells which is on its own scale), Myth 90 and then balance at 85.

Storm blade is 30% hence giving storm an additional 36 damage per pip of spell.
Fire is 35%, so 35 per pip.
Death 40%, so 36 per pip.
Myth 35%, hence 31 per pip.
Balance 25%, so they get a 21 per pip. Bladestorm being even lower.

darthjt wrote:

Balance can also learn feint, have feint amulet, treasure feint, pet feint. balance blade, treasure balance blade, equipment balance blade, hex, treasure hex, dragonblade.

A) So can any other schools. How is this something giving balance an unfair advantage?
B) Can we not throw treasure cards into this. We are talking about a permanently trainable spell. Not a one shot, possibly difficult to obtain and expensive card. These are on two total different levels of magnitude of game effect.

Treasure cards are the bonus, reward, carrot at the end of the maze for people that do live/eat/breath wizard101. It is unfair to assume that every player can and will stock pile treasure cards in addition to raising pets, crafting, or maybe being one of the few that has a home with a complete theme through out and not a hoge poge of stuff they gathered as they went through the game.

Additionally since you did throw gear, pets, and treasure cards into this. It is only fair to point out that every other school can benefit from balances generic blade spells. But only with specific spells can balance benefit at all from other school spells.

Yes, every school has to contend with the shields from the other two schools in which ever of the rock, paper, scissors triangle they are in, plus tower shield. Balance being outside of both sets gets the shields to all, just weaker shields. Are going to deny that there is a fundamentally a big difference blocking say leviathan with a balance shield over glacial shield?

darthjt wrote:

First of all, Balance sharks do not get the Boosts or Critical chances that a Balance Player has!

Of course not! No mob is equal to a player in any shape or manner. If they were equal to players in gear stats, we would be back to the days of people screaming that blah world is too hard. Of course they get more pips than us at start. It is compensation in that they have no intelligence, no tactics, can not adjust, can not flee then port right back.

darthjt wrote:

And I did say that Balance's elemental and spiritual shields should be allowed to be trained by all schools.

Why on earth would you want to? That would be another 2 training points to do what is already done with one tower shield. Creating more excess glut in PvP decks, and redundancy as most players can pull out a 70% to every school if they bothered to put them in their deck.

What seems to be your real complaint is Judgment. Since that isn't going to change, you are opting for a different tact in pushing for a balance specific shield.

Yes, Judgment is a cheap shot. Yes, the only defense is a tower shield. Yes, since tower shield being a universal defensive spell it is really easy to wand away. Yes since storm has to lowest life they can quickly fall into the kill range of it.

This is all nothing new, and as the past year has proven, not going to change. There are tactics for dealing with it. Just go over to the balance section and read their posts as they tell you how to beat them, and how they plan to beat you.

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
darthjt wrote:
Lion359 wrote:
darthjt wrote:
Well, it has come to my attention, that some schools are just too powerful and that some schools just have too much resistance.

Everyone wants this game and PvP to be fair and Balanced.

So, since Balance gets a 50% shield for every school, and there is no school specific balance shield, I think one should be made and introduced.

It would of course, only be a 50% shield, since that is what they get to resist all other schools.

This shield would be perfect, not overpowered, not taken away by any random wand spell. It is the perfect balance shield for balance.

Darthjt,

Wow, still going after JoJoWild's Balance I see..... lol.

I agree, let give them a 50 Balance shield, but in return lets give Balance a real spell to use. Right now all of Balances good attacks can be blocked by (-70) Fire, Storm, Ice, Myth, Fire and Life shields. So lets give out a +50 Balance Shield, and then give Balance a decent 6 pip 600 Balance hit spell.
Judgement is too conditional, and is really hard to use any just any time.

So, I agree, the shield and the new spell are needed, thanks for the idea.

Joe.

Yeah, and Spiritual Blast would be the next spell. I am serious though, the Boosts for Balance would have to change, it is not fair that Balance is the only school that has a spell that is not affected by their school boost.

This could make Balance far more interesting to play.

Darthjt,

Balance is hard enough to play as is, but it's the most interesting Wizard to play. If we did change balance, it would be then little more than a death wizard, imo. Plus, KI has not made a major wizard change in it's design in four years. This would destroy the whole idea of the Balance wizard, don't you think?

Joe.

Little more than a Death wizard? What's that supposed to mean?

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Cedrien wrote:
A Balance Shield is not needed, nor should it be implemented into the game.

Ok, I have read a ton of Posts, and I think this post sums them all up just fine.....

If we add a Balance sheild, then we have to add it to our decks, c'mon, my deck can't handle another shield.

If you add the shield, then you need to add more spells to Balance, you need to add a Balance only Blade, a second blade, a convert, more spells as the Balance only spells are so weak when compared to others. Judge is the only good spell it has, as Chimera is always blocked. Note, Chimera was the only spell that had no after effect, did anyone miss that.

If you add the Shield, you destoy the whole concept of Balance. You are basically destorying the Wizard and put a imposter in it's place.

Darthjt talks about Balance being too strong, yes it can be, but any other school can be too. With the new level 68 spells, I have seen awesome damage on the battlefield now. I have had Storm kill me in six rounds, before the level 68 spell. How powerful is that, it can kill faster than any Balance.
I have had Myth hit me for over well over 1000 a round after the initial hit, taking me out in 9 rounds, with the level 68 spell.
I have watched the new life spell hit me for over 2500 in one hit.

I will agree, the only strenght that Balance has is Feint, TC Feint, Pet Feint, Hex, Blade, TC Blade and hit with Judge. This can be counter, but it's hard to do. But the cost in Gold is high, and it's time consuming.

Having said that, now I see Death and Life are doing the same thing with their spells.
I see the same thing being done by Myth, using Shatter and Medusa.

I will say this right now, No Balance Shield needs to be added to the game.

The only thing that needs to be done, is for Shatter to be removed from the Game. Or be reduce in the number of shields that it removes.
Maybe it could remove two shilds for 2 pips or something.

(Now Darthjt, this is what you should be after, not whining about a Balance only shield).

Before anyone screams, remember, I have a Level 70 Myth and a level 70 Balance. Not to mention a Level 70, Death, Ice, Storm all Level 70. Plus a Life on the way. I know the game, and Shatter has hurt the game more than any other spell, including Triage.
Ice is and always has been my favorite PvP player, but Myth, Death, and Balance are just as fun.

Just my two cents,
Joe.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
darthjt wrote:
archmage987 wrote:

For you storm players, how often do you carry disarm? Not often I bet. Can you time removing that charm before he uses it, and is the loss of one pip over potential damage worth it?

Disarm, should be in fact, a 0 pip spell. If it was, it would be worth storm using this spell, but in fact, using a pip to remove a blade and wasting that time and pips is not as beneficial for storm.

You are proving my point with this statement. Neither you nor I seriously utilize this spell.

Yes, I quite agree, strategically, it is not cost effective. There are posts concerning this spell and wanting it reduced to 0 pip cost!

darthjt wrote:
archmage987 wrote:

For you myth players, how often do you carry shatter storm over earthquake? Rarely, why would you? For one more pip you do damage, get all charms, and hit all opponents.

Actually, fyi, shatter is a 3 pip spell and earthquake is a 6 pip spell. The use of these spells vary on how many oppenents you have. If vs a multiplayer, myth would use Earthquake over shatter most of the time. However, if several shields were in place and several traps were placed, shatter would be more effective, especially if a friend is attacking that same round!

First thank you for the correction. You are indeed correct with the cost. I assume though you grievance is in 1v1 play, not team vs team. It is from that stand point I made my statement. In said such scenario do you really carry shatter, or do you do damage and get all his shields and blades at no pip loss? Pip loss being using two power pips for one shatter or three power pips for earthquake.

Again, this varies, pending on how many blades are up, traps are up, shields are up, etc. And not all schools have 100% power pip chance so those 3 pips to 6 pips can be quite valuable.

darthjt wrote:
archmage987 wrote:

For fire, triage? Except from yourself do you really have to worry about dot spells? Even mobs lean more towards single massive hit spells.

Triage is not as widely used as you might think, especially not in PvP. It is nice to have, but does not always help you, or save you.

Kinda my point. Fire has the potential to use it. Do they? I won't say never, but I think really rarely is a fair statement. It is one spell that is most beneficial to counter their own school. A satyr would more often be a better choice for one's deck since you know you will need and not glut it with additional cards you will probably end up discarding anyway.

darthjt wrote:
archmage987 wrote:

Need I go on?

You make some good points and are not too far off the mark on some of them, but it is the bigger picture that I am hoping you will see.

darthjt wrote:
archmage987 wrote:

What has traditionally been the hardest school opponent for any school to deal with? There own. For six out of the seven schools that meant waiting around for your conversions to show up, then casting the attack. Balance didn't have any such option, till recently, except to use a spirit school at a loss of efficiency.

Really? What is spectral blast and hydra?

Back at you. Really? When do most balance mages get spectral blast? Krock. Which shield spell do balance mobs cast at this point of the game? Elemental Shield. Add to the complexity that a balance mage has no control over which element the spell will produce. You could cast is three times and hit a shield each time, or you might not.

Hydra? By this point balance mobs are casting both elemental and spirit shield. So either it goes through, or it stuffed across the boards.
darthjt wrote:
archmage987 wrote:

Once balance had a hey day in the arena, then everyone learned that weakness ruins balance's day. Funny how weakness is now on the must learn for pvp list. Yes, it has a 70% boost. They also have the fewest boosts, and the most easily thwarted "blades". Decent compensation I think.

As I stated before, balance has a balance blade 25% and bladestorm 20% how is that less of a boost than most schools?

The key word is boost. Not number, but how effective. Storm averages 120 damage per pip. Fire 100, death about 90 (this disregards the steal life spells which is on its own scale), Myth 90 and then balance at 85.

85 damage per pip? Just throwing this out there, but Judgment is 100 damage per pip. Add in Balance blade of 25% and bladestorm of an additional 20% per pip and where on this scale does balance stand again?

darthjt wrote:

Balance can also learn feint, have feint amulet, treasure feint, pet feint. balance blade, treasure balance blade, equipment balance blade, hex, treasure hex, dragonblade.

A) So can any other schools. How is this something giving balance an unfair advantage?

Oh, due to the fact, that only 3 shields can protect someone from this onslaught, tower shield, treasure tower shield, and equipment tower shield.

Now, how many ways can other schools defend against all of these boosts? You don't see the point?

B) Can we not throw treasure cards into this. We are talking about a permanently trainable spell. Not a one shot, possibly difficult to obtain and expensive card. These are on two total different levels of magnitude of game effect.

Treasure cards are the bonus, reward, carrot at the end of the maze for people that do live/eat/breath wizard101. It is unfair to assume that every player can and will stock pile treasure cards in addition to raising pets, crafting, or maybe being one of the few that has a home with a complete theme through out and not a hoge poge of stuff they gathered as they went through the game.

Sorry, but I have always stated in my posts, be ready for anything in PvP!

Additionally since you did throw gear, pets, and treasure cards into this. It is only fair to point out that every other school can benefit from balances generic blade spells. But only with specific spells can balance benefit at all from other school spells.

Yes, every school has to contend with the shields from the other two schools in which ever of the rock, paper, scissors triangle they are in, plus tower shield. Balance being outside of both sets gets the shields to all, just weaker shields. Are going to deny that there is a fundamentally a big difference blocking say leviathan with a balance shield over glacial shield?

Ah yes, but Balance is the one school that gets to choose if it is going to cast an Elemental spell, or spiritual spell, or just a regular Balance spell. It has options and choice for avoiding shields, while others do not. They have to face the shields in front of them... Sure, there are converts, but converts do not always help.

darthjt wrote:

First of all, Balance sharks do not get the Boosts or Critical chances that a Balance Player has!

Of course not! No mob is equal to a player in any shape or manner. If they were equal to players in gear stats, we would be back to the days of people screaming that blah world is too hard. Of course they get more pips than us at start. It is compensation in that they have no intelligence, no tactics, can not adjust, can not flee then port right back.

darthjt wrote:

And I did say that Balance's elemental and spiritual shields should be allowed to be trained by all schools.

Why on earth would you want to? That would be another 2 training points to do what is already done with one tower shield. Creating more excess glut in PvP decks, and redundancy as most players can pull out a 70% to every school if they bothered to put them in their deck.

Why would you want to? Who would not want to have elemental shields or spiritual shield in their decks? Ask a balance if they take them out for only tower shiels. Which shields do they take more of, elemental and spiritual or the 70% shields... I know they will have the 70% shields for fire and storm as those schools do the most damage and Balance does not have the resistance that Ice does. But does that mean Balance will take out the elemental shields? No, of course not.

So, how many possible ways is there to shield against storm, fire, ice, myth, death, and life? Now, how many ways can you shield against a Balance spell?

What seems to be your real complaint is Judgment. Since that isn't going to change, you are opting for a different tact in pushing for a balance specific shield.

Yes, Judgment is a cheap shot. Yes, the only defense is a tower shield. Yes, since tower shield being a universal defensive spell it is really easy to wand away. Yes since storm has to lowest life they can quickly fall into the kill range of it.

This is all nothing new, and as the past year has proven, not going to change. There are tactics for dealing with it. Just go over to the balance section and read their posts as they tell you how to beat them, and how they plan to beat you.

I know full well how to play Balance, as most people have gotten their strategies for balance from me.

I was actually a firm believer that Balance was fair, until people started to pick on storm a bit too much.

So, since people are picking on storm and getting them nerfed, it is only fair to nerf Ice's resistance and give Balance a shield. We have to keep the game in balance and that is exactly what this does!

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Lion359 wrote:

Ok, I have read a ton of Posts, and I think this post sums them all up just fine.....

If we add a Balance sheild, then we have to add it to our decks, c'mon, my deck can't handle another shield.

Just because you dont want another shield in your deck, does not mean others wont!

If you add the shield, then you need to add more spells to Balance, you need to add a Balance only Blade, a second blade, a convert, more spells as the Balance only spells are so weak when compared to others. Judge is the only good spell it has, as Chimera is always blocked. Note, Chimera was the only spell that had no after effect, did anyone miss that.

What effect did rain of fire have? How exactly is balance nerfed? Does Balance not have a 70% boost? Does it not have good critical? Can it not only cast elemental spells, but now spiritual spells as well, pending on what shields are present. With all the possible boosts out there, how many ways are there to block a Balance spell? Especially when compared to how many ways you can block any other spell in the game.

If you add the Shield, you destoy the whole concept of Balance. You are basically destorying the Wizard and put a imposter in it's place.

Other school shields are 80%, while Balance has no School shield. A 50% school shield is about what Ra is missing from it's base damage, meaning about 30%! So, how is this unfair?

Darthjt talks about Balance being too strong, yes it can be, but any other school can be too. With the new level 68 spells, I have seen awesome damage on the battlefield now. I have had Storm kill me in six rounds, before the level 68 spell. How powerful is that, it can kill faster than any Balance.

Balance has more ways that anyone to shield against Storm. If Balance dies quickly to storm in 6 rounds, it has nothing to do with the power of storm. It has to do with strategy. Balance can kill storm easily within 6 rounds too, especially with their low health. So, your point is?

I have had Myth hit me for over well over 1000 a round after the initial hit, taking me out in 9 rounds, with the level 68 spell.
I have watched the new life spell hit me for over 2500 in one hit.

Again, this has to do with shields and boosts. Anyone can shield and anyone can blade, however, any spell can remove tower shields, so what can truly shield against a Balance attack?

I will agree, the only strenght that Balance has is Feint, TC Feint, Pet Feint, Hex, Blade, TC Blade and hit with Judge. This can be counter, but it's hard to do. But the cost in Gold is high, and it's time consuming.

Pvp is an expensive habit. You have to be prepared in order to win.

Having said that, now I see Death and Life are doing the same thing with their spells.

Yes, but there are many ways to shield against life and death, with more than a couple of tower shields. 70% shields, 80% shields and higher, along with those tower shields. As for Balance, there is only the tower shield!

I see the same thing being done by Myth, using Shatter and Medusa.

Ah yes, that is a great strategy, can't deny that!

I will say this right now, No Balance Shield needs to be added to the game.

This is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I on the other hand, am entitled to my opinion that a balance shield should be incorperated into the game and that it will bring balance to the game.

The only thing that needs to be done, is for Shatter to be removed from the Game. Or be reduce in the number of shields that it removes.
Maybe it could remove two shilds for 2 pips or something.

I see nothing wrong with shatter, it is truly a remarkable spell. It even counters the Balance only shield. If you were to take out shatter, you would also have to remove triage, Ice's Resistance, and a few other things! Would it not be easier to just add in a balance shield?

(Now Darthjt, this is what you should be after, not whining about a Balance only shield).

Just because you don't like shatter and the rules for tournaments do not allow shatter for whatever their biased reasons are, does not mean this is not a great spell or should be removed from the game.

Before anyone screams, remember, I have a Level 70 Myth and a level 70 Balance. Not to mention a Level 70, Death, Ice, Storm all Level 70. Plus a Life on the way. I know the game, and Shatter has hurt the game more than any other spell, including Triage.
Ice is and always has been my favorite PvP player, but Myth, Death, and Balance are just as fun.

Just my two cents,
Joe.

I know Joe and I am sorry I have been picking on 2 of your favorite schools as of late, however, we have to keep balance in the game.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
You said...

I know Joe and I am sorry I have been picking on 2 of your favorite schools as of late, however, we have to keep balance in the game.

What balance would a Balance Shield make? PvP is just theorized to be imbalanced. Not many people know how to play well in PvP, so they blame KI. It's the people's fault they lost, they lack strategy, so if they don't find a way to cover their weaknesses, then just let them whine and never get what they want without doing something to get it.

Survivor
Oct 10, 2010
darthjt wrote:
archmage987 wrote:
darthjt wrote:
archmage987 wrote:

Need I go on?

You make some good points and are not too far off the mark on some of them, but it is the bigger picture that I am hoping you will see.

If I happen to run across a thread about the lackluster or glut spells in each school I may post it there. I think my point was reached mentioning those few here.
darthjt wrote:
archmage987 wrote:
darthjt wrote:
archmage987 wrote:

85 damage per pip? Just throwing this out there, but Judgment is 100 damage per pip. Add in Balance blade of 25% and bladestorm of an additional 20% per pip and where on this scale does balance stand again?

No question that judgment breaks the mold on balance's damage output. It is arguably their one solid spell.
It is also one of the few offensive spells in my deck that is balance, on the rare occasion I choose to PvP with my balance mage.
darthjt wrote:
archmage987 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Oh, due to the fact, that only 3 shields can protect someone from this onslaught, tower shield, treasure tower shield, and equipment tower shield.

Now, how many ways can other schools defend against all of these boosts? You don't see the point?

I do see your point. But the same time this list of buffs that I have rewritten in red is somewhere between ridiculous and impossible to pull off. To this hold up as an example of what balance can do to you is completely unrealistic. Some of it, sure, all of it? Not a chance. Even if he/she does manage such a herculean feat, then give them a medal! This must have the same odds as a royal flush or winning the tri-state lottery. Not repeatable enough to demonstrate how balance is/can dominate the PvP area and therefor needing adjustment.
darthjt wrote:
archmage987 wrote:

Sorry, but I have always stated in my posts, be ready for anything in PvP!

Be ready for anything. Sure I can agree with that, but I have noticed a tendancy, like your list above, when people do add in all possible sources of boosts all reason goes out the window. Or are we to assume that you only ever enter the area with one of each treasure card you plan to use? That some how the laws of probability get suspended making it possible to find that one amulet card out of the 30+ you could. Not only that but do it multiple times to get each of the one cards you have?
A balance mage that has gone into the area with that as his win condition is also putting it on luck. Luck is not a valid yard rule to declare something too strong or too weak. He also must be very desperate to win, to be willing to put in hours if not days to amass such a collection of treasure cards to have in his sideboard to enter every duel with.

Additionally, if you want to throw in treasure cards and what not as to what they can do, you have to factor in the other side of the coin with all the treasure cards someone can use to counter them. We haven't proven that balance is too powerful, we have only muddled the issue with an added factor of who has more money and time.
darthjt wrote:
archmage987 wrote:

Ah yes, but Balance is the one school that gets to choose if it is going to cast an Elemental spell, or spiritual spell, or just a regular Balance spell. It has options and choice for avoiding shields, while others do not. They have to face the shields in front of them... Sure, there are converts, but converts do not always help.

Yes, balance has choices.
Before I continue though I am going to spell out a couple of assumptions on my part.
1) We are talking about 1v1
2) We are talking about transcended level wizards

Alright.
Balance has three pure spells at this level
1)scorpion (arguable since 100 to near 100% is well within balance's ability and this could be used "chipping" attack when coupled with a sun spell) I don't do this but it is valid tactic.
2)Power Nova. ( I personally stack 2 in my deck more for the additional weakness than anything. Minions have long been since been fazed out of deck at this point. Barring Talos.)
3)Judgment. I don't think I need to say anything about this.

Two elemental spells
1) Spectral Blast. If you are lucky you can take advantage of their bubble with this. I never let their bubble stand personally, but this is my "chipping" spell of choice.
2)Hydra

One spirit spell
Chimera.

If balance casts elemental blade you have a good idea what is coming, and there is no question what he is prepping if he casts spirit blade.

He can stealth them by not casting either above blade, but by the same token feint gives him a limited return as only the first of three attacks get the feint bonus.

Then being Judgment is a very simple math formula and casting it leaves the balance mage with no pips, they don't spam it. It is only cast when the player is pretty certain he is ending the match. Making it very predictable as to when you need to put up a tower shield. Am I the only one that considers a calculator standard equipment for any duel?
darthjt wrote:
archmage987 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Why would you want to? Who would not want to have elemental shields or spiritual shield in their decks? Ask a balance if they take them out for only tower shiels. Which shields do they take more of, elemental and spiritual or the 70% shields... I know they will have the 70% shields for fire and storm as those schools do the most damage and Balance does not have the resistance that Ice does. But does that mean Balance will take out the elemental shields? No, of course not.

So, how many possible ways is there to shield against storm, fire, ice, myth, death, and life? Now, how many ways can you shield against a Balance spell?

Tons and tons for both.
If we look at realistically from what a balance mage should expect to contend with in any duel vs any opponent.

Tower Shield and Weakness

I think it is no coincidence that balance blade is +25%, while weakness is -25%. Thereby the both of them canceling each other out. Leaving balance a +20 blade at the cost of pip advantage.

Now lets look at likely scenarios.

If balance casts a universal blade, any fire mage is going to steal it plus those with the treasure cards or a specific wand.

Cloaked unbalance is getting more common in the arena with all these extra training point quests at the end game. If this pattern continues, then I predict the wizard with counter balance and life spells will become the norm and not the exception.
darthjt wrote:

I was actually a firm believer that Balance was fair, until people started to pick on storm a bit too much.

Is this really your starting position in all this? Am I understanding this?
darthjt wrote:

So, since people are picking on storm and getting them nerfed, it is only fair to nerf Ice's resistance and give Balance a shield. We have to keep the game in balance and that is exactly what this does!

Actually ice's resistance has been nerfed the same way storms damage has been. They both should be higher, but if they were at the levels you would have reached by extrapolating out the pattern laid down leading up to Malistare, then both would be way over the top. But I covered this somewhere else to day.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Hi Darthjt,

Ok so it was you back in mid 2010 that was using this Balance setup that
everyone was crying about. I remember a few postings back then of several
complaints on Balance. The entire reason why Shatter was outlawed from Central,
if I remember correctly.
I will address this in more detail at the end of the message.

Ok the reference to a Death Wizard was because a Death Wizard
does not need Life to survive. Just as a Balance has it's own healing,
so does a Death. Ignoring Life, only Death and Balance have their own
healing spells.
Once you add the Balance shield, you have no choice but to add other spells,
as now you have changed what a Balance Wizard is. As stated by KI, it can
only be blocked by a Tower Shield. All Balance Spells are weak, except for
Judgement, which ofcourse leaves you unable to heal, or anything else.

Balance was designed this way, and to change it, would me it is no longer unique.
Add in a Balance shield and you have destoryed what it is.

Here is an example of what I am saying....

Life can heal faster and higher than any ohter Wizard.
Fire has huge damage and atack over rounds.
Myth has Minions, high damage, Shatter, earthquake...
Death has Doom and Gloom, and life steal so it can heal under it.
Ice has good resist and health, and is a tank.
Storm has low health, but huge, fast, damage.

If you add a Balance Shield, you have taken away the one unique
thing that Balance has, so you have to do the following to
make thing even.

Life can heal faster and higher, so generate a new spell to stop life heals that
can't be wanded away. Let's say, a minus 90 to all life heals.

Fire has huge damage and atack over rounds, so give a 1 pip spell so
everyone can learn Triage.

Myth has Minions, Shatter, earthquake... give a spell that can stop shatter and earthquake.

Death has Doom and Gloom, and life steal so it can heal under it. So give a spell
that allows all wizard to heal even under Doom and Gloom.

Ice has good resist and health, so give me spell that can boost my resist cutting by
70% and at the same time hit 50% higher.

Storm has low health, but huge, fast, damage, so give me a spell that will force them
so they only get White pips, to slow them up.

The point is, if you add this shield, it destroys the Balance of all Wizards.

So, we still need something to Balance out the Balance Wizard, according to you, and
I have the solution, to the UnBalance that you (yes, I said you Darthjt) created.
If you are the one that generated the Feint, shatter idea, then you are to blame for
this unbalance that you are trying to correct. Make sense now that I think abou it.

OK, here it is (can't wait for the outcry on this one), lets make a shatter-trap spell.
Now, for 1 pip or 2 pips, you can Shatter all Traps that are on my Wizard.
Problem solve, perfect Balance has now been added to all Wizards, thank you for reading and agreeing.

Joe,
Joseph LionHunter.

Survivor
Oct 10, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
Hi Darthjt,
complaints on Balance. The entire reason why Shatter was outlawed from Central, if I remember correctly.

Joe,
Joseph LionHunter.

First off I am dying from laughter over here.

I can barely see the screen I am tearing so much.

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

Secondly, darthjt wasn't that person. He might have quickly copied it add fuel to the fire of that monkey fit. :-o

Though everything else aside, one does have to admit, it was a brilliant use of training points and treasure cards.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
Hi Darthjt,

if I remember correctly.

Well, I was the first person to post this and use this strategy in PvP, not sure if I was the "So Called" reason it was banned from Central.

healing spells.

Balance was designed this way, and to change it, would me it is no longer unique.

make thing even.

First, let me start by saying, that the shield is only 50%, not 80%!

Life can heal faster and higher, so generate a new spell to stop life heals that

There is, called Infection, although it is 50% to heals and can not be wanded away. Plus, there is doom and gloom.

As many treasure cards as there is for this spell, why would anyone need to spend a training point on it?

Myth has Minions, Shatter, earthquake... give a spell that can stop shatter and earthquake.

Not a bad idea! Maybe this will be part of a new installment.

Death has Doom and Gloom, and life steal so it can heal under it. So give a spell

There is, it is called, casting a different "Bubble"

Ice has good resist and health, so give me spell that can boost my resist cutting by

There is, it is called Armor Piercing! Although it is not as high of a percentile just yet, it will eventually get there.

Storm has low health, but huge, fast, damage, so give me a spell that will force them

KI has already been reducing power pip chance, I am sure you have noticed. There is also massive resistance and fortify cards. Storms damage boosts and base damage is being lowered. See how balanced things are getting for everyone except Balance?

No offense Joe, but it does in no way destroy a Balance Wizard, it just destroys set strategies.

So, we still need something to Balance out the Balance Wizard, according to you, and
I have the solution, to the UnBalance that you (yes, I said you Darthjt) created.
If you are the one that generated the Feint, shatter idea, then you are to blame for
this unbalance that you are trying to correct. Make sense now that I think abou it.

Again, just because I might have been the first person to post and use that strategy, does not mean this entire thing is my fault.

OK, here it is (can't wait for the outcry on this one), lets make a shatter-trap spell.
Problem solve, perfect Balance has now been added to all Wizards, thank you for reading and agreeing.

Joe,
Joseph LionHunter.

Well, since there is a remove ward for 0 pips, they might eventually make a remove all wards or remove all blades or steal all wards or steal all charms spell. You never know!

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
Hi Darthjt,

if I remember correctly.

healing spells.

make thing even.

Joe,
Joseph LionHunter.

Judgement isn't Balance's only powerful spell. I find Judgement weak, many others do. Don't mistake Balance as a school that can only hit good damage with 1 spell, because just like any other school, Balance can hit hard with any rank 4 spell.

Survivor
Oct 10, 2010
joujou11cool wrote:

Judgement isn't Balance's only powerful spell. I find Judgement weak, many others do. Don't mistake Balance as a school that can only hit good damage with 1 spell, because just like any other school, Balance can hit hard with any rank 4 spell.

No one said it was Balance's only powerful spell. It's position and value are arguable.

But it does have one advantage over any other balance spell. You can calculate out exactly how many pips you need to finish the match with it, and if you catch your opponent napping it is gg before the damage is applied.

Judgment is 100 per pip. Period. It is a set damage amount with no limit. Right now we have a limit of 14. But if KI creates say the UBER pip (not saying they will or should but it IS possible), a pip that is worth 3 instead of power pip's 2. Well we have changed limit to 21. In theory it can just keep going.

If you wand with a 100 damage spell, get a clean hit, and do 60 damage then you know he has 40% resistance.

Just for a figure, say said duelist has 3500 life at max.

Say by gear you buff all balance spells damage output by 40%.

Then with a balance blade, bladestorm, tc balance blade, weakness, and a feint, (a well doable and likely set of buffs) well then if you get 14 pips you can nearly kill him.

So you add a gargantuan and now, now you know that if you get a clean hit you win doing 3638.

That is why judgment is valuable. You can know exactly what you will do, and thereby use it as a finisher that they have no hope of surviving.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
archmage987 wrote:
Lion359 wrote:
Hi Darthjt,
complaints on Balance. The entire reason why Shatter was outlawed from Central, if I remember correctly.

Joe,
Joseph LionHunter.

First off I am dying from laughter over here.

I can barely see the screen I am tearing so much.

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

Secondly, darthjt wasn't that person. He might have quickly copied it add fuel to the fire of that monkey fit. :-o

Though everything else aside, one does have to admit, it was a brilliant use of training points and treasure cards.

I do not copy! I am smarter than your average Helephant you know. Now, I do not post on Central, I only post here and I have seen quite a few of my posts and Ideas being copied and used on Central and very rarely am I ever given credit.

However, that does not mean I am the reason something is banned. I don't find Central a wizardly friendly place to go and it has more abuses and corruption that the government.

Survivor
Oct 10, 2010
darthjt wrote:

I do not copy! I am smarter than your average Helephant you know. Now, I do not post on Central, I only post here and I have seen quite a few of my posts and Ideas being copied and used on Central and very rarely am I ever given credit.

I never meant to imply that you lacked originality or intelligence.

If I offended then I whole hearty apologize.

But like you said recently, "great minds think alike."

I know in RL the guy that did that. We (he and I) had never seen it done, or read about it, before so I attributed the ground breaking event to him as it were. We really did it show up the old argument of the time that storm is TOO powerful. We hoped to prove by action that other schools do have it within their ability to land a game changing blow. We hoped it would stop one of the recurring arguments of the time, but alas it didn't.

What we did accomplish was, much to our dismay, was a sudden influx if balance wizards, threads upon threads of complaints, and the derogatory term of "Judgement noob." Again, never seen that term in use before that event.

To speak frankly, plainly have a good understanding of the game and its mechanics.
As do others, so just because I am not naming you specifically don't think I don't recognize it.
You can be a bit over bearing in your arguments, and let your emotions reflect in your posts, but in no way do they invalidate the truths you do point out.

Explorer
Mar 15, 2011
I am for a balance shield, actually.

However, the fantasy held on this thread that Balance is somehow extremely "hard to block" needs to be fumagated.

What is the most common shield in PvP? Oh right, Tower Shield. What is the most common gear/item/treasure card shield? Oh that's right, -55% Tower Shield. And what do the two of these shields block? Oh that's right: Every Balance Spell.

A Hydra into Spectral Blast combo is easily solved by A Volcanic Shield followed by a Tower Shield.

Chimera is solved by Legend Shield. Balance is not "Overpowered" if wizards walk into the arena without ways to block the spirit schools. Death, at the very least, warrants it, as you can't afford to be ahead of a Death opponent in health, low on pips, and inside their doom and gloom without a way to get through the fight.

How is Balance hard to block again? I'm sorry but real live PvP bares no resemblance to your claims.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
I still think that the problem is not with Judgement, as yes it can hit, but normally only as a game ender. Or as a secondary hit after a large hit has been done, imo. It could be use at other times, but I seldom see this.

My point is, and I do feel that this is the real issue, as the huge spells now (for only nine pips) can hit close to Judgement. Example, Chimera hits for 103 per pip. Ice, and Death's new spell hit hard also, including the green bearded wonder. The same Feint, TC Feint, Pet Feint, blade, TC Blade, etc, and shatter works for them.

I have been killed twice in a row in pvp by this. I don't carry any Ice shields, and it's hard to get a volcanic or other shield to show up at the right time.
I really feel that this one setup, is the most dangereous in the game.
You can drop down two different Towers and still be killed.
Perfect example, they use pierce and the spell to remove weakness and fire the spell away. I don't see how it can be stopped, if they have their Deck setup correctly.

To me, this is the real PVP killer, as it put your thinking in the trash.
Spam Feints, Blades, and use the spells you remove shields, weakness, etc, and how can you lose.
Doesn't matter if it's Balance, Death, Ice, Life, Myth, etc, you can't lose the match.
This destroys the whole idea of going to a ring and trying to setup your card in a pattern, multiply or just all out defend against Storm,,, it kills PvP.

The Balance shield will only hurt Balance, but won't fix the real problem at hand.

As a side note, if this pattern continues, I will quit the game. As the game will lose any challenge and become boring.

Joe.

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
Yea the only reason why you want the shield is to block judgement, anyways am worried that Ki might take this idea. Not because its gonna ruin the game, its because am afraid that KI will take any ideas and imagine whats the next rant going to be about.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
archmage987 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

I never meant to imply that you lacked originality or intelligence.

If I offended then I whole hearty apologize.

But like you said recently, "great minds think alike."

I know in RL the guy that did that. We (he and I) had never seen it done, or read about it, before so I attributed the ground breaking event to him as it were. We really did it show up the old argument of the time that storm is TOO powerful. We hoped to prove by action that other schools do have it within their ability to land a game changing blow. We hoped it would stop one of the recurring arguments of the time, but alas it didn't.

What we did accomplish was, much to our dismay, was a sudden influx if balance wizards, threads upon threads of complaints, and the derogatory term of "Judgement noob." Again, never seen that term in use before that event.

To speak frankly, plainly have a good understanding of the game and its mechanics.
As do others, so just because I am not naming you specifically don't think I don't recognize it.
You can be a bit over bearing in your arguments, and let your emotions reflect in your posts, but in no way do they invalidate the truths you do point out.

No, I was not offended by this, just stating the fact that I don't copy what other people have done and try and take credit for it. Now, as it was an easy strategy to come up with, I don't see how I would be the only one to ever state it, but as far as the message boards here go, I was the first to bring that strategy to light.

I have also stated and informed people of why Storms use Tempest as a constantly spammed attack, especially in 2v2, 3v3, & 4v4 matches. And even more so when there are multiple storm wizards where one will take out the shields and the other will get his attack full force.

Which leads me to my next point. A storm shield, or any other shield for that matter, except for tower of course, must have a specific element or spiritual attack to be activated. Since tower shields are universal, any spell can activate them.

Now, while Balance is not storm, Balance can have up to 75% damage boost, even more if a pet gives double damage boost. That being said, that is quite the Damage boost and a Ra spell, enchanted with Colossal, is no small attack, especially not with blades of any type.

Now, in a 4v4 situation, where anyone but Balance goes first, or even a match with 2 balance wizards, 1 attack would remove those tower shields while the Balance's attack goes full force. Can an Ice attack remove all of storm's shields? or Life shields? no, I think not. In fact the only spell that does remove shields is earthquake, which is 6 pips, and not much damage unless you happen to be myth.

However, with balance, you don't need a myth to wipe out shields, any school will do. So, asking for a 50% school specific shield, to handle these situations. People want fairness and balance within the game and PvP, but people seem to only see what they want to see.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Just curious, would anyone back the idea of a remove trap spell for four rounds, maybe a sun spell. It would have to be either 1 pip or zero pips, just like the most of the other sun spells.

I started to think about this after my last posting. It make sense to me, anyone else? This would completely null the idea of a Balance shield.

Joe.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
Just curious, would anyone back the idea of a remove trap spell for four rounds, maybe a sun spell. It would have to be either 1 pip or zero pips, just like the most of the other sun spells.

I started to think about this after my last posting. It make sense to me, anyone else? This would completely null the idea of a Balance shield.

Joe.

That's the Star school, but it would ruin PvP really badly, no offense.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
To all of you that are saying that Tower Shield is the only shield that can block Balance damage, you're all wrong:
There is Legion Shield! Get your facts right.

Survivor
Oct 10, 2010
Lion359 wrote:

Joe.

Unfortunately I have to disagree with the mass trap removal spell for a few reasons:
A) If KI did create a mass remove trap spell then since Myth has the singular version they would probably get the mass version as well.
B) Only four schools by default do multi-trapping. Storm, Fire, Balance, and Death.
-Storm in high level duels near never multi-trapps. It is an added 2 or more turns to his attack, time he can no longer spare.
-Fire's is fuel. A spell whose whole purpose is to get a bit more mileage out of their DoT spells.
-Balance with their elemental trap and spirit traps. I don't think I have ever seen a balance wizard use those in a 1vs1 match.
-Death. Now death would get ruined here. Not only in one casting would you remove his death trap, curse and feint in one sweep you would also be making death's entire dueling style impossible. Death could no longer try to duel under nearly countering healing with a Doom and Gloom and then try to weather attacks while they are draining life. Without the traps Death would not be able to offset incoming damage anymore.

Survivor
Oct 10, 2010
darthjt wrote:

Now, while Balance is not storm, Balance can have up to 75% damage boost, even more if a pet gives double damage boost. That being said, that is quite the Damage boost and a Ra spell, enchanted with Colossal, is no small attack, especially not with blades of any type.

True, but a 75% percent applied to a storm spell is a much greater boost than 75% to a balance spell. Add to it that balance's blades are weaker, making two very different scale of things.

darthjt wrote:

Now, in a 4v4 situation, where anyone but Balance goes first, or even a match with 2 balance wizards, 1 attack would remove those tower shields while the Balance's attack goes full force.

So can a pair of any other school use a similar tactic. Thank you for pointing this out, maybe now in multi-duels storm will no longer be picked on but the pair oh so innocent life mages over there. :-)
darthjt wrote:

Can an Ice attack remove all of storm's shields? or Life shields? no, I think not. In fact the only spell that does remove shields is earthquake, which is 6 pips, and not much damage unless you happen to be myth.

Nor can balance. Multi-shield removal is Myth. Anyone can train earthquake if they want. If Balance used say Hydra to clear the boards, to then follow up with Judgment. Well if it is from first position there really is no difference here to say casting imp to follow up with gnomes. A valid tactic that any school can use and is only deadly in the static turn order of any duel. A completely separate issue.
darthjt wrote:

However, with balance, you don't need a myth to wipe out shields, any school will do. So, asking for a 50% school specific shield, to handle these situations. People want fairness and balance within the game and PvP, but people seem to only see what they want to see.

Okay. Got it, but lets look at the other side of the coin as the expression goes.
Lets say KI does implement a balance shield.
KI isn't removing Tower Shield.
So now there are two 50% shields that pure balance spells must contend with. How is it fair to balance and even things out if we make it possible to cut balance spell damage output (which is near the bottom of the damage totem pole) by 75% (50% applied twice). When additionally the only spells that can possibly buff them are
Balance Blade 25% and effectively nullified by a weakness
Bladestorm cost balance 1 pip for a 20%. Very poor trade off in a 1vs1 match
Hex 30% and now balance's most solid innate option.
Dragon Blade which they will only have if they go spend real money to buy a card for a pet that gives one.
Feint nothing to say about this one, it is what it is.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Lion359 wrote:

Joe.

Not as an aura. If a spell like this was introduced, I will guaruantee you that this spell will be the most common used spell outside of Tower Shield. It would basically shift the entire PvP experience into almost exclusively blades. Since you could keep spamming this aura every four rounds.

Explorer
Mar 15, 2011
More fantasies from people who don't play Balance wizards in PvP:

75% damage boost? Double damage boosting pet!

Bwahahaha!

Yeah, ok, double damage boosting would take away one of these three pet talents:

1. Balance-It/Sharp-shot (remember, Balance, in this new age of Wizard101, has the worst Accuracy in the game and other than the Icewind Shaman's Skaters has no way to boost it through gear [Zafaria gear is unwearable for Balance in the arena] like Storm Fire Myth and Ice are all given a luxury of accuracy to equip

2. Spritely

3. Proof

4. Defy

All depending on the combination. My point is damage boosting is not even "optimal" for a Balance to use in the arena. Optimal configurations include Balance It/Sharp shot Sprite Proof and Defy. My Warlord doesn't even have Defy yet, yet has no damage boosting and has sat at 58-63% damage boosting for months.

75% damage boost also means a Balance has to take off Cosmic Kris/Stellar Signet to put on inferior Athame and Ring. So now you're way lower than the average Ice wizards healing boosts. Not good for AH. Not good at all. Personally, I get away with Lexicon Blade and Stellar Signet, at 58% damage boost.

Yeah, sure, LoL, I could give up two pet talents to get 70% damage boost. Which two?

Balance-It
MC Weakness (ok maybe weakness?)
Proof 10%
Spritely

It'd be nice if darthjt would make even a small effort to understand what he's talking about before he just makes claims, in the future...