Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Under levels going to Dragonspyre

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
Listen someone really needs to put a level cap or something on the other worlds...I'm sick of running into a battle and a lower level runs in and takes all the shields i placed to take out an mob or boss...I think this needs to stop and someone should do somthing about it, cause i've had enough.

Jasmine Moonhorn
-43 Ice/Storm-

Survivor
Jan 11, 2009
no i have never had that problem and i dont think it would be very nice.

Defender
Oct 03, 2008
I would to agree with this, because Dragonsypre is hard enough for master level wizards to battle through. Lower leveled wizards would be crushed by some of the bosses in this place due to the VERY high ranks of mobs in Dragonsypre. Even a magus that once ported when I was fighting a boss got brought from full health all the way down to around 200 hp in one turn when he aggroed the boss and mobs after doing a 4 pip attack spell.

Explorer
Jul 12, 2008
I beg to differ. If someone knows what they are doing, lower levels shouldn't be a problem. The problems you are experiencing have nothing to do with wizard levels, but they have to do with wizard experience and skill.

Perhaps the problem lies in your friends list. It may be time to go through your friends list and clean it up. If someone is a continual problem and always teleports to you without asking, you need to explain to them what your personal rules are (ie. no teleporting without asking). If they continue to be a problem, perhaps it's time to remove them from your list. It may sound mean, but if they are only "using" you as a means to teleport to a certain area, then they don't sound like much of a friend.

Survivor
May 22, 2008
A minimum level would stop power levelers and sight-seers cold. Sounds good to me.

Krok 10
Marleybone 15
MooSoo 25
Dragonspyre 30

Anyone lower than this would have no business going past the first area in each world.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2008
Admittedly, I was slightly annoyed at seeing level 20's running around dragonspyre because they were asking me to help them fight things they really shouldn't be fighting. Similarly I had someone world jumping ask me to get them to Mooshu. His level was high enough to be able to beat Big Ben on his own, but his reason was was "I don't know."

Might just be the elitest in me peeking out to speak, but it would be nice to have level mins on levels, just to put some kind of buffer on the people coming into the areas. I occasionally do my community service stint of going back and helping low level wizards with quests they are having a rough time on, but afterwards I have people showing up just before a fight and doubling the number of minions I have to fight and they aren't up to pulling their weight.

I've since removed all the people who were doing that, but when your nearing the end of a long instance level, or you have been working on grinding a boss to get an item drop, it'd be nice not to have to start over because someone wasn't considerate.

Again, quiet possibly the elitest in me wanting to tell them to actually earn access to the level.

Survivor
Jan 19, 2009
I'm only level 25, and I even agree with that! I also need to know what the highest level is that you can get to. I think it's 50, right?

Explorer
Jan 18, 2009
How about making it impossible to teleport to a friend in an area you haven't gained access to? This would make people have to work hard to get to good places. I was actually once in a combat where I was fighting two monsters, and a friend teleported in, a monster joined, and they fled. And I only prepare my deck for two monsters unless I know I will need to face more (I do have trasure cards just in case, but it was annoying).

Survivor
Feb 09, 2009
TheDeadEye wrote:
A minimum level would stop power levelers and sight-seers cold. Sounds good to me.

Krok 10
Marleybone 15
MooSoo 25
Dragonspyre 30

Anyone lower than this would have no business going past the first area in each world.

This is perfect and makes tons of sense. I've commented on similar in other posts, I believe the one about folks scoffing titles they really don't deserve at low levels due to teleporting to a friend. If zones had level caps that would put an end to having all these troubles.
And, no, sorry, it's not my friend list, my friend list is very small, it contains characters from a real life friend, and no one else. The problem I have is when an appropriate level jumps into my fight and boom his low level buddy teleports to him, this happens to me often. The low level cannot handle the additional adds and that leaves a larger burden on me, one I'm not always ready to handle.
I realize KI wants us to help each other, and I have no problem going back to Wizard City and helping those out that are still there. But really, don't expect me to help you in a place where you have no right being in. Earn your way, just like everyone else that gets there on their own did....it's seriously not that difficult.
Please KI, take a serious consideration into implementing these level caps!!!

Survivor
Feb 09, 2009
Midsummer wrote:
I beg to differ. If someone knows what they are doing, lower levels shouldn't be a problem. The problems you are experiencing have nothing to do with wizard levels, but they have to do with wizard experience and skill. [And skill and experience comes with levels. So unless it's someone who has rolled another character after obtaining end level, it's doubtful the low level will have the skill to survive. And if it's my skill the low level is counting on, then that's just wrong. I shouldn't have to compensate my game play because someone who joined my fight dragged in someone else that can't handle the battle.

Perhaps the problem lies in your friends list. It may be time to go through your friends list and clean it up. If someone is a continual problem and always teleports to you without asking, you need to explain to them what your personal rules are (ie. no teleporting without asking). If they continue to be a problem, perhaps it's time to remove them from your list. It may sound mean, but if they are only "using" you as a means to teleport to a certain area, then they don't sound like much of a friend. It's not always your personal friend's list. Sometimes someone else will join your fight and bring someone else in through their friend's list. This you have no control over, unless of course there were level limits on the zones. Then this would not happen.

Sorry, but you are the only one opposed to level limits in this post. I just had to toss in my 2 cents as to why your reasoning just doesn't fly.

Explorer
Jul 12, 2008
Chelkey wrote:
Sorry, but you are the only one opposed to level limits in this post. I just had to toss in my 2 cents as to why your reasoning just doesn't fly.

Just because I'm the only one that posted an opposition does not mean I'm the only one that is opposed. ;)

I do not think level limits are the answer. I have 2 accounts of my own and I frequently use my own characters to help out another character. I have taken a level 15 into Big Ben and I've taken a level 20 into Dragonspyre. I wasn't playing with any friends, so I wasn't putting anyone in jeopardy or causing them to play with a lower level. Why should I not be able to take my own characters in to help out my other account?

I believe the answer is something that has been discussed since back in Beta. I think if you are battling, you should have to accept someone into the same battle before they are allowed in. Level limits wouldn't matter at that point, and you could keep other people out that do meet your personal level requirements.

How many times have you had a battle where you've already killed one monster and the 2nd monster is almost dead, only to have someone and their friend join, bringing 2 more monsters into the battle? I've died from such an instance, because when I had my 2nd monster almost dead, I was very nearly dead myself. Adding 2 more monsters without having a heal spell or enough pips can kill you. Level limits won't prevent this from happening. In each instance that I've had this happen, the people that joined were within a level or two of my own level.

Survivor
Feb 09, 2009
Midsummer wrote:
Chelkey wrote:

Just because I'm the only one that posted an opposition does not mean I'm the only one that is opposed. ;) Well just in this thread you are, no telling what others think.

I do not think level limits are the answer. I have 2 accounts of my own and I frequently use my own characters to help out another character. I have taken a level 15 into Big Ben and I've taken a level 20 into Dragonspyre. I wasn't playing with any friends, so I wasn't putting anyone in jeopardy or causing them to play with a lower level. Why should I not be able to take my own characters in to help out my other account? See now I think it will help some, especially with those pesky lower level friends that teleport without asking, but are ohh too sweet to dump. And as for your 2 boxing, no stopping your upper level from going back to Krok to help your lower level. And shared bank will allow for you to "twink" your alts with gear from the upper level zones, no need to drag the lvl 20 to dragonspyre.

I believe the answer is something that has been discussed since back in Beta. I think if you are battling, you should have to accept someone into the same battle before they are allowed in. Level limits wouldn't matter at that point, and you could keep other people out that do meet your personal level requirements.

How many times have you had a battle where you've already killed one monster and the 2nd monster is almost dead, only to have someone and their friend join, bringing 2 more monsters into the battle? I've died from such an instance, because when I had my 2nd monster almost dead, I was very nearly dead myself. Adding 2 more monsters without having a heal spell or enough pips can kill you. Level limits won't prevent this from happening. In each instance that I've had this happen, the people that joined were within a level or two of my own level.

Yes I have been there too many times to count. However, I pat KI on the back for not keeping us in that infamous LFG syndrome. Every MMO out there including the number 1, WoW, has this. You sit around for hours on end wasting precious gaming time looking for a group or help with some quest or boss,etc.

To keep up with what KI has in mind and yet prevent your own wizard from a horrible death due to that friendly wizard trying to "help:" you....I have this idea. Why not lock encounters after the first round is over. Once I have casted/passed/fizzled and my opponent(s) have done the same, my battle is now locked and no one can join. This still gives ample time for someone near by to join or a friend to pop in, but not enough time for them to join to turn a good battle into a bloody death.

So I agree with you on one hand, but sorry, I still am against PLing and content skipping, be it for alts or not.

Explorer
Sep 02, 2008
Personally I play a grandmaster level 50 and I really ONLY make friends with other wizards that are about 45 or higher.

I have encountered the same problem that I may be in a fight with a fellow high level wizard and some of his/her friends that are lower level show up in a middle of our high level fight. Also, I was in a fight and some low level wizard, that was walking around on the street, decided to jump in and didn't even ask if I needed some help.

Maybe Wizards101 could allow lower level wizards to be able to look around in the world(s) but have some way to prevent the lower level wizards from actually joining in on ANY fights. Something simular like back in the day in the duel arena, "Once a duel (fight) was started players couldn't join in at all." Or maybe have an option to ask the other players (who are currently in the fight) if you can be allowed to join in on the fight.

I completly understand the point of view that if you want to see the other worlds you must complete the ones before it and EARN the right/privelage. No easy answer here.

Survivor
Jan 28, 2009
Just my 2 cents as well, but I think something needs to be done about this as well. I don't have a problem with people who ASK to join your fight, but I've had to trim my friends list down and turn down almost every friend request made to me. I get tired of working myself crazy for levels, gear, and gold only to have someone just poof into my fights, or joining because they want to, without asking.

I have been delaying going to Dragonspyre so that I can have the best gear for my level possible. I farm with my real life friends, and I help my family when they need quests or a fight they're having trouble with. When others just join up, or poof to you indiscrimately, it messes up your rhythm, timing, and your drops. I don't appreciate working mobs down just to have someone poof into the fight and get the drop I was working so hard for solo.

If you just poof to me, it gets you booted from my friends list since that behavior has gotten me killed on several occasions. And I will say "Next time ask please" if you just join my fights. Its like just walking in to your neighbors house, helping yourself to all the food in the kitchen and not even asking or saying thank you. Rude, that's what it is. :-(

Either locking battles, putting in rejection/accepts for battles/instances, or level caps for areas seem to be the best way to go to stop the "leeching" of lower level players, bad players, or just plain rude ones. I'm sorry, but I pay to play this game because its fun and relaxing. Picking up the slack of other players who don't have the manners to ask is not something I signed up for. AND that is the main reason that I stopped playing Final Fantasy XI.

Please, KI, come up with a solution to this. I love the game, just get annoyed with those with no consideration for others.

Alexandria Mythrider
lvl 46 Myth Mage

Survivor
Dec 06, 2008
I think these things are cinda crazy, however I hate it when that happens to... Its a good point but still Thats the onlyway I can get to dragonspyre still good point!!

Storm lev. 19 oni slayer (went to my friend in mooshoo!)

Defender
Nov 05, 2008
personaly i don't think there should be a limit to who can come were i think that when someone wants to port to you you should get a message asking if you want them to if not you should be able to decline. this will solve the to low porting and fleeing leaing the higher level opent to accept those they know will stick to a plan and fight to the end. Just last night i was on quest to malisair's lair, all of my friends know to ask before porting, my friends friends do not. we had to of her friends port and run which left me stuck i could not do my quest cause i did not have three to open the door a wasted two hour endever on my part which left me very very fustraited.

Survivor
Dec 23, 2008
Midsummer wrote:
I beg to differ. If someone knows what they are doing, lower levels shouldn't be a problem. The problems you are experiencing have nothing to do with wizard levels, but they have to do with wizard experience and skill.

Perhaps the problem lies in your friends list. It may be time to go through your friends list and clean it up. If someone is a continual problem and always teleports to you without asking, you need to explain to them what your personal rules are (ie. no teleporting without asking). If they continue to be a problem, perhaps it's time to remove them from your list. It may sound mean, but if they are only "using" you as a means to teleport to a certain area, then they don't sound like much of a friend.

I agree with you all the way i am a lvl 48 death and i would like mins but not to high lvl.What you need to do is just make every worlds minimum lvl 15.This way if you need help and asked your noob friend they could help.But this way they could also come to see the world that lies ahead for them.

Defender
Aug 19, 2008
This seems to be an on-going topic...and note that I do understand both sides however I lean on the no limits side. (That makes what...2 of us?)

Way back in the summer when I was new and just arrived in Krokotopia one of my friends asked if I would come help her for a battle in Marleybone. I know she had a good laugh as we battled there, I had a horrible time on the rooftops....but hey I did it..and if you were there you remember there weren't always a lot of people around. When we were done I went back to Krokotopia and worked even harder cause I wanted to get to that new world!

When Dragonspyre came to test realm, my son and I were 2 areas short in Mooshu of being able to go "see" the new world. I spent hours trying to get ANYONE to please give me a lift there so I could see. Curiosity has always been one of my weaknesses...

Not one single wizard would give me a lift.

My son relented and we went to Mooshu and worked for 6 hours to finish so we could go see Dragonsypre.

Do you think I gave others a ride to Dragonspyre when they wanted just to "look"? Absolutely!

Come on! This is an awesome game. There is no need to let a few bad eggs spoil the cookies!

Maybe KI could add "Please don't join me in battle" and "Please don't set off my traps!"

If all else fails there is a report button.

Mastermind
Sep 20, 2008
TheDeadEye wrote:

Krok 10
Marleybone 15
MooSoo 25
Dragonspyre 30

I believe that a sensible answer to this problem is the easiest to govern: If the Wizard is too low a level to get ANY Quest on a world, they should not be allowed access..... It works no matter what the world is, since some Quests are open to Wizards who are slightly below the point where Spiral Access is obtained...

Scarlet SkullHammer (Death 35, Black Cat Pet, "Shadow")

Survivor
Mar 01, 2009
wow, i remember i had barely got into the 20's levels when i was helping one of my friends with those oni's in mooshu

just don't accept random friend requests folks

and i have always asked people if they needed help before entering a fight even before reading this but even if someone were to just jump in to a fight don't assume that person can't pull their own weight.

Explorer
Jul 12, 2008
NeoStar wrote:

I believe that a sensible answer to this problem is the easiest to govern: If the Wizard is too low a level to get ANY Quest on a world, they should not be allowed access..... It works no matter what the world is, since some Quests are open to Wizards who are slightly below the point where Spiral Access is obtained...

I respectfully disagree with this answer as well. I currently have one character that did not meet level requirements in Dragonspyre for a couple of side quests but she was in that area for the main storyline. After I leveled a few times, those particular side quests were available to this character, but since I'd done the work to get to Dragonspyre, should I have been punished since I didn't meet the side quest levels?

Mastermind
Sep 20, 2008
Midsummer wrote:
NeoStar wrote:

I respectfully disagree with this answer as well. I currently have one character that did not meet level requirements in Dragonspyre for a couple of side quests but she was in that area for the main storyline. After I leveled a few times, those particular side quests were available to this character, but since I'd done the work to get to Dragonspyre, should I have been punished since I didn't meet the side quest levels?

8)
Ok, maybe I wasn't clear enough : I was saying ANY Quest, not just Side. If you are high enough to get a Quest, then you should be tough enough to hold your own against somebody. I myself have a Fire Wizard who got into Krokotopia around 12th or 13th level, a couple of levels shy of the Foulgaze Quest that lets you access the Spiral. I was able to do a couple of simple "Run and Retrieve" style of Quests, which raised my level and allowed me to do the Main Quests sooner

That's all I was saying : If you're not tough enough to do a Quest in a world, you really have no reason to be there yet except impatience....

And I respect your viewpoint in any case ... thanx for yours...

8)

Mastermind
Sep 20, 2008
Ether165 wrote:
wow, i remember i had barely got into the 20's levels when i was helping one of my friends with those oni's in mooshu

Me nether; but I will remember Big Ben for a while to come! I had to all but beg for help getting past Meowarity, since I'm Death with Life as a side-School.....

Ether165 wrote:

just don't accept random friend requests folks

I agree one hundred percent! I add nobody who I haven't helped or hasn't helped me anywhere on my Friend List, though my Ignore List is getting long....

Ether165 wrote:

and i have always asked people if they needed help before entering a fight even before reading this but even if someone were to just jump in to a fight don't assume that person can't pull their own weight.

I argue that point all the time, and practice it whenever I'm online.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
:P :-) :D
Midsummer wrote:

Explorer
Feb 18, 2009
I'm a lvl 44 Life wizard in Dragonspyre. Today, I was fighting the soldiers in the first area you get access to, and a friend ported to me. Not a big problem, as I had 2 storm mobs fighting. Then a life mob joined in, because my friend joined in. Again, not a big deal, he's death, he can handle that one. So we go through one round with my friend (a lvl 30 something wizard). My nephew, who is level 13, ports to me. Ok, we can handle this, too. I get him on the telephone, and go through what to do, and what he can do to really help. He's a good kid, and does just as I ask him. So now we enter round 2 with the 30 something, and round 1 with my nephew. The 30 something flees, claiming he needs to help a friend. Meanwhile, a 4th mob has entered the fray.

That's when I got ticked. I can handle two there, it's not easy, but doable. I can handle three if I have to. But there is no way I feel comfortable handling 4 with a lvl 13 wizard.

We won, barely. I told my nephew to attack only the life mob, and he complied. I put a fairy minion there, who kept my nephew healed the whole time, and I neded the fight with about 100 life points, and my nephew was full life points. He ported to the common area as soon as the fight was over, per my instructions. And he now knows to ask if it's safe to port to me before he does :)

The problem there wasn't the low level, it was the level 30+ (I think he's higher, about 37 or 38) who fled.

Those are the people who cause problems. They port to you then flee after another mob has added. Up through Mooshu it wasn't a huge problem, but I can see it being a huge problem in Dragonspyre. And in that case, level limits won't have a single effect.