Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

group heal for balance.

1
AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3171
after countless runs through castle dread-more (and countless complaints about the fact that i'm not a life wizard), i'm starting to think that i, and balance wizards everywhere, could definitely use a group heal.

(we already have group blades... and, besides, isn't the whole point of balance to support the team?)

sure, i heal where i can, but the pip cost is way too high to look out for everyone and my over-time heals (even with a critical) aren't enough to protect my teammates if their health is less than half. and then, they get upset because i'm not spamming rebirth, even though they know i don't have a life mastery and can't... at which point i usually have to remind them that i'm not a life wizard.

so here is my proposition:

name: dr. von's arcane antiseptic (idk, feel free to give it a better name)
cost: 4-5 pips
effect: heal 400-500 and (optional) -30% shield to all teammates.

it's bigger than unicorn, but smaller than rebirth (to justify the pip cost). and, before anyone starts crying about life being replaced or group shields being ice's domain, remember that balance borrows from all schools:

-gaze of fate is a double hit (myth);
-hydra/chimera is our version of a dot (fire)
-power nova adds a mass weakness (death)

(i could go on, but i'll stop there)

all constructive suggestions or comments are welcomed and encouraged, as are cookies and fish-paste flavoured cupcakes.

-von "the doc is in" shadowsong
exalted

Defender
Nov 12, 2013
109
Liberating Hands: 6 pips; 55 + 580 over 3 rounds to all

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
950
Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
890
Delver
Mar 13, 2010
299
Dr Von on Jul 18, 2015 wrote:
after countless runs through castle dread-more (and countless complaints about the fact that i'm not a life wizard), i'm starting to think that i, and balance wizards everywhere, could definitely use a group heal.

(we already have group blades... and, besides, isn't the whole point of balance to support the team?)

sure, i heal where i can, but the pip cost is way too high to look out for everyone and my over-time heals (even with a critical) aren't enough to protect my teammates if their health is less than half. and then, they get upset because i'm not spamming rebirth, even though they know i don't have a life mastery and can't... at which point i usually have to remind them that i'm not a life wizard.

so here is my proposition:

name: dr. von's arcane antiseptic (idk, feel free to give it a better name)
cost: 4-5 pips
effect: heal 400-500 and (optional) -30% shield to all teammates.

it's bigger than unicorn, but smaller than rebirth (to justify the pip cost). and, before anyone starts crying about life being replaced or group shields being ice's domain, remember that balance borrows from all schools:

-gaze of fate is a double hit (myth);
-hydra/chimera is our version of a dot (fire)
-power nova adds a mass weakness (death)

(i could go on, but i'll stop there)

all constructive suggestions or comments are welcomed and encouraged, as are cookies and fish-paste flavoured cupcakes.

-von "the doc is in" shadowsong
exalted
I'm on-board for 400 at 4 pips with -20% shield.

My avatar is fire, because Paige was my first wizard - fire- but my most often played is my Life. The easiest to max and gear out was my Death and she's probably my favorite to play. Life can hit, hard, and can solo but she can't hit hard enough to ever get to hit when I'm group questing. Death can sometimes be a hitter and often is the healer because of her Life Mastery. (There was a crazy sale and I bought one that Fire and Death share.)

I struggle questing with my Balance,though. She just doesn't hit hard enough to solo, so I'm all about support when playing her. She does have a Life Mastery (I never got my Waterworks gear on her, none of them got the full set, honestly, but she did have a mastery dropped in WW), so I usually do have Rebirth and Unicorn TC. Since she's not life, even in Jade her outgoing isn't huge and her critical isn't either.

Rebirth does enough, but unicorn doesn't. A balance heal all spell that could be primordialed would be lovely. Five pips seems too many, to me, but the 30% shield seems OP for four pips.

I'd take five pips, 500 with 30%, though, or maybe 500 with 30% at 4 pips + shadow pip?

Delver
Jan 05, 2014
223
I'd love a balance group heal.

An alternative is to get rebirth item cards through gear or pets. But I'll grant the usefulness is limited without a life mastery amulet.

Defender
Mar 31, 2015
148
Hmm, interesting idea, would definitely complement Balance's skill set. Hopefully in addition to Elemental and Spirit Prisms. I personally like Liberating Hands as suggested earlier, but with 90 + 1090 over 3 rounds to all, at 6 to 8 pips, as Balance already has a great heal to pip ratio.

Adrian
Level 100
Promethean Crafter
Rank 10 Gardener

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3171
holy undead malistaire, i definitely wasn't expecting this kind of a response.

i agree with dan~ yes, there are tc and item cards, but i'd really like to stay away from using a mastery amulet (because pve players don't need them and it's not worth the crowns cost/sacrifice to other stats, given that it would collect dust in pretty much any battle but darkmoor).

outside of darkmoor, my sorcerer isn't a healer anyway. i have no outgoing boost (i've been a solo player for most of my wizarding years, so healing others was never a priority), but my incoming is pretty sweet and i can usually survive both forms of malistaire without dying... keeping myself alive with a 4-pip over-time heal works swimmingly, but the same is not true when the entire team is relying on me to keep them alive.

if i'm spamming availing hands (which is pretty much my only option in group situations), at 4 pips a shot, it doesn't allow me to build pips very efficiently and makes it difficult to heal people who need it when they need it. in a dungeon like darkmoor, every round counts... and, if i have to waste rounds to build pips for healing, then i'm not going to be as useful as i might otherwise be.

@paige~ balance was the biggest challenge for me, as she was my first wizard. i didn't particularly enjoy the school before getting to level 60 but, almost 5 years later, she is my most-played character.

based on your/the others' feedback, here is what i'm looking at:

4 pips = 400 and -20% shield to all
5 pips= 500 and -30% shield to all

does that seem fair?

-von

Survivor
Jul 14, 2014
33
my buddy scott battlestone lvl. 89 would love this something to make him confident in once again. i feel he is beginning to loose faith in what the krokotopians call the most powerful school.

Delver
Mar 13, 2010
299
Dr Von on Jul 20, 2015 wrote:
holy undead malistaire, i definitely wasn't expecting this kind of a response.

i agree with dan~ yes, there are tc and item cards, but i'd really like to stay away from using a mastery amulet (because pve players don't need them and it's not worth the crowns cost/sacrifice to other stats, given that it would collect dust in pretty much any battle but darkmoor).

outside of darkmoor, my sorcerer isn't a healer anyway. i have no outgoing boost (i've been a solo player for most of my wizarding years, so healing others was never a priority), but my incoming is pretty sweet and i can usually survive both forms of malistaire without dying... keeping myself alive with a 4-pip over-time heal works swimmingly, but the same is not true when the entire team is relying on me to keep them alive.

if i'm spamming availing hands (which is pretty much my only option in group situations), at 4 pips a shot, it doesn't allow me to build pips very efficiently and makes it difficult to heal people who need it when they need it. in a dungeon like darkmoor, every round counts... and, if i have to waste rounds to build pips for healing, then i'm not going to be as useful as i might otherwise be.

@paige~ balance was the biggest challenge for me, as she was my first wizard. i didn't particularly enjoy the school before getting to level 60 but, almost 5 years later, she is my most-played character.

based on your/the others' feedback, here is what i'm looking at:

4 pips = 400 and -20% shield to all
5 pips= 500 and -30% shield to all

does that seem fair?

-von
Yes!

Mastermind
Jul 26, 2011
306
I like this idea. Not as good as Rebirth but it certainly does a good heal and seems like a pretty balanced spell for Balance. Also it would further make Balance one of the most useful school to bring to battle. Great idea Dr. Von

Delver
Mar 13, 2010
299
Alternately, Sprite Swarm actually behaves very much like a heal all balance spell, should.

Since its not trainable by life, turn the animation into hands and make it balance.

(Just don't take it off my dryad, please. My Life uses it often.)

Explorer
Dec 25, 2010
78
Dr. Von's. That is Balance's best group heal. In my opinion


(I Love Balance Myth Ice)

~Kayla Griffin, Isabella FairyTail, Emma MoonGem

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
2228
I disagree Von. I dont feel Balance should be able to specialize in any field, because it's not supposed to be a specialized school. A balance heal all seems, to me, very specialized as life is the specialist in healing.

I understand your wish to not spend crowns/money to buy a mastery amulet. They DID just go on sale today, for half price. Not to mention, there are other places you can farm them for free, though they take a while. IF you had one, you could use all the AoE healing you wanted to, between TC and learned spells

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3171
dayerider on Jul 20, 2015 wrote:
I disagree Von. I dont feel Balance should be able to specialize in any field, because it's not supposed to be a specialized school. A balance heal all seems, to me, very specialized as life is the specialist in healing.

I understand your wish to not spend crowns/money to buy a mastery amulet. They DID just go on sale today, for half price. Not to mention, there are other places you can farm them for free, though they take a while. IF you had one, you could use all the AoE healing you wanted to, between TC and learned spells
even at 50% off, a mastery amulet is not worth the price i'd ultimately pay, in terms of stats.

it would be an awful waste of crowns too, since it would ultimately collect dust everywhere but castle dread-more. in addition, i refuse to feed the farming machine any more than i absolutely have to, after the mess that was/is that whole dungeon. i have a life offline, too~ i simply don't have that kind of free time. i just thought that, as long as i *have* to be there, i might as well be of more use (since all i do in there is blade, and i can't even do that during the malistaire fight).

i'm not asking to become a healer, or replace life. it's just really hard to support the team, as is my job, when i don't have the tools to do so.

-von

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
2228
Dr Von on Jul 22, 2015 wrote:
even at 50% off, a mastery amulet is not worth the price i'd ultimately pay, in terms of stats.

it would be an awful waste of crowns too, since it would ultimately collect dust everywhere but castle dread-more. in addition, i refuse to feed the farming machine any more than i absolutely have to, after the mess that was/is that whole dungeon. i have a life offline, too~ i simply don't have that kind of free time. i just thought that, as long as i *have* to be there, i might as well be of more use (since all i do in there is blade, and i can't even do that during the malistaire fight).

i'm not asking to become a healer, or replace life. it's just really hard to support the team, as is my job, when i don't have the tools to do so.

-von
no, I understand the healer role very well, with a character not originally designed for it. I think the only way a heal all for balance would work, would be if certain other concessions were made (which I wont mention here because I dont want to taint the thread). You, being VERY fluent in the forums, probably know what I am talking about, and others probably do too.

Explorer
Apr 10, 2012
97
I'm with Dayerider on this one. If you don't already, get a Life School person on your team to help with keeping the team alive.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3171
Linsilee Moonwillo... on Jul 23, 2015 wrote:
I'm with Dayerider on this one. If you don't already, get a Life School person on your team to help with keeping the team alive.
this is a great option, for someone who has tons of regular questing buddies or plays during peak hours. however, people who work odd schedules and have to rely on team up don't always have that choice~ at 4 am my time, i'll take whatever help is available, as long as they don't quit on me.

that said, i'd be interested in hearing @dayerider's suggestions. if anyone else has any, i welcome those as well.

-von

Delver
Mar 13, 2010
299
Dr Von on Jul 24, 2015 wrote:
this is a great option, for someone who has tons of regular questing buddies or plays during peak hours. however, people who work odd schedules and have to rely on team up don't always have that choice~ at 4 am my time, i'll take whatever help is available, as long as they don't quit on me.

that said, i'd be interested in hearing @dayerider's suggestions. if anyone else has any, i welcome those as well.

-von
I think in this situation, the players on the team need to be more prepared to heal themselves. Balance is support in Darkmoor, but nobody can support the entire team in every way. My Life always carries blades, traps, feints etc... to buff the hitter - but she can't do all the buffing because even with empowerment she needs to conserve pips in order to be able to heal, Doom and Sanctuary.

People who dont usually play support need to be adjusting and assisting you, rather than going second and third YOLO hitter. So, you don't have Life Mastery. Maybe the Death does. Instead of hitting, that person heals and plagues, you blade and mana burn.

Although, at 4AM, you do take whatever you can get. I get it. I've been there.

Regardless, I don't think Balance having a heal all is out if character; Balance "steals" from all the schools, so why not?

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
2228
Dr Von on Jul 24, 2015 wrote:
this is a great option, for someone who has tons of regular questing buddies or plays during peak hours. however, people who work odd schedules and have to rely on team up don't always have that choice~ at 4 am my time, i'll take whatever help is available, as long as they don't quit on me.

that said, i'd be interested in hearing @dayerider's suggestions. if anyone else has any, i welcome those as well.

-von
as i said, I think that if balance got a heal all, other concessions would need to be made, and I dont want to taint this thread with ramblings of other threads. I'll simply hint at it like this..... if balance gets an all heal, then there will no longer be a monopoly of heal all spells. Von, Im sure you REALLY know what Im hinting at.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3171
PaigeGoldenspear on Jul 24, 2015 wrote:
I think in this situation, the players on the team need to be more prepared to heal themselves. Balance is support in Darkmoor, but nobody can support the entire team in every way. My Life always carries blades, traps, feints etc... to buff the hitter - but she can't do all the buffing because even with empowerment she needs to conserve pips in order to be able to heal, Doom and Sanctuary.

People who dont usually play support need to be adjusting and assisting you, rather than going second and third YOLO hitter. So, you don't have Life Mastery. Maybe the Death does. Instead of hitting, that person heals and plagues, you blade and mana burn.

Although, at 4AM, you do take whatever you can get. I get it. I've been there.

Regardless, I don't think Balance having a heal all is out if character; Balance "steals" from all the schools, so why not?
i agree, more people should be prepared to look after themselves. however it's surprisingthat many people juste xpect me to do it... and i don't want to be that horrible person who lets her team die, just to prove a point.

in the first and final battles, i support; in the middle fight, i spam shane. i've even started carrying sanctuary, doom, and shatter (since people expect that of me for some reason, even though i don't have mastery and my gear is built for damage, not healing).

i've taken 3 wizards through darkmoor; my death and storm both pack their own heals as well. but, at 4 am, you take what's available and are extremely grateful if they all just stay put until the end.

@dayerider, maybe it's just been a long day and my mind is stagnating, but i have no idea what you're talking about and speaking in riddles is not going to help me figure it out. i'm sorry if there's something big that i should be picking up on, but i've just spent the last 9 hours having my brain cells (and my soul) slurped out by the trolls of the internet.

(if you've ever worked in dotcom support, you'll know exactly what that feels like)

that said, i did say that all constructive comments and suggestions were welcome, so i will hazard a guess:

for the longest time, myth had a monopoly on minions and double hits; balance now has both, and now everyone has at least 2 minions; death's thing was mass traps, but storm has windstorm and balance has a group weakness as an after-effect on power novas; fire's was dot spells, but every school (except balance and storm) now has at least one.

as of now, life is the only school with a heal-all... how would creating one for balance be game-breaking?

i would keep going, but i'm out of space (and energy).

-von

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
2228
Dr Von on Jul 25, 2015 wrote:
i agree, more people should be prepared to look after themselves. however it's surprisingthat many people juste xpect me to do it... and i don't want to be that horrible person who lets her team die, just to prove a point.

in the first and final battles, i support; in the middle fight, i spam shane. i've even started carrying sanctuary, doom, and shatter (since people expect that of me for some reason, even though i don't have mastery and my gear is built for damage, not healing).

i've taken 3 wizards through darkmoor; my death and storm both pack their own heals as well. but, at 4 am, you take what's available and are extremely grateful if they all just stay put until the end.

@dayerider, maybe it's just been a long day and my mind is stagnating, but i have no idea what you're talking about and speaking in riddles is not going to help me figure it out. i'm sorry if there's something big that i should be picking up on, but i've just spent the last 9 hours having my brain cells (and my soul) slurped out by the trolls of the internet.

(if you've ever worked in dotcom support, you'll know exactly what that feels like)

that said, i did say that all constructive comments and suggestions were welcome, so i will hazard a guess:

for the longest time, myth had a monopoly on minions and double hits; balance now has both, and now everyone has at least 2 minions; death's thing was mass traps, but storm has windstorm and balance has a group weakness as an after-effect on power novas; fire's was dot spells, but every school (except balance and storm) now has at least one.

as of now, life is the only school with a heal-all... how would creating one for balance be game-breaking?

i would keep going, but i'm out of space (and energy).

-von
ok, I'll spill the beans and hope that it doesnt hijack the thread. If it does, my apologies. My hints refer to: "if life wants another AoE spell, then other schools need a heal all spell"

Survivor
Oct 20, 2012
15
I like Arcanexo's idea, typically healing balance spells involve hands of some sort.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3171
dayerider on Jul 26, 2015 wrote:
ok, I'll spill the beans and hope that it doesnt hijack the thread. If it does, my apologies. My hints refer to: "if life wants another AoE spell, then other schools need a heal all spell"
in that sense, then yes~ i have an archmage theurgist, and i will be the first to agree that life does need another aoe (even if it's a crafted one, like deer knight for death). but i digress.

just as giving life a second aoe would not be game-breaking, neither is giving balance an all-heal spell; since balance borrows from other schools anyway, and our job is to support the team, this would not be out of character.

-von

Defender
Nov 12, 2013
109
Not to go off-topic here, but if life wants to be recognized more offensively the other schools need to be improved defensively to keep the balance, if balance, fire, death, and storm got their own group heals and life got an aoe and an offensive aura everyone would be happy. Good thing a made ideas for that in a previous thread:

www.wizard101.com/forum/the-dorms/advanced-spell-ideas-8ad6a4194e6cf2ba014e70241438121a

1