Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

what's with all of the beggars

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 26, 2009
20
I'm at the point that I dread going through the Commons (and from time to time other places too, it's happened in Dragonspyre) sometimes due to the fact that I'm often barraged with requests to gift someone with crowns or buy people things. Worse, sometimes I don't get the request until I've friended the person. Yes, I run a full class of six wizards who each have a mount. I ride a White Stag (from the Christmas gifts), a Frontier Dragon (for having an older account), a two-person Treant (on sale on St. Pat's Day), a Rickshaw (a card mount), a Blue Dragon (just because I like Dragons) and a Hawk (a card mount). I understand these are all impressive to some players, but it does not mean I have a lot of crowns to be buying other people things. I'm glad there is an ignore button and the option to switch Realms. Does anyone else feel this way?

Survivor
Nov 05, 2012
8
yes I am having this problem. I have had to ignore kids because if I say no they threaten to report me for not gifting them packs or mounts. Honestly it is getting out of hand. I have six wizards and they all have mounts as well, some I just farmed forever to buy them with gold. When I suggest this option to the kids they actually get upset . to KI and Wizard it is annoying that these kids are trying to extort stuff from people, I worry about the younger kids who have done nothing wrong but out of fear give in.

Savannah Mythcrafter

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
4942
Yes, this has become a huge problem; I'm not sure what KI can do, but I wish they'd think of something!

Delver
Mar 10, 2009
241
Yes beggars are extremely annoying. Just having a crown item on you seems to draw them like flies and I cannot abide them. They will come right up and ask if I have crowns. I just tell them it is none of their business or that I don't answer such questions. I still see kids offering to give crown shop mounts for 5 treasure cards and I feel so sorry for the new kids that may fall for this scam. I generally heckle the scammer as a way to warn any listening players that the person will only cheat them and no one gives away mounts for treasure cards. I have been threatened with reporting for not giving in to beggars to and I just tell them to go ahead and then they will be in trouble for doing false reports. I try to say this as often as possible so that any new players can know that the beggars do not have any real power over them and to not give in to the threats. It's really sad and I wish that there was something we could do about them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Survivor
Nov 05, 2011
21
i had a friend who always asked for gifts when i was still on mooshu, just ignore beggers and if a friend begs say no and if they say they will remove u then remove them. - Amber Hawksong the lvl 70 ice

Survivor
Aug 29, 2013
19
I hate beggars ! I can't go to the Commons or even the Hatchery without having beggars come up to me asking for crowns gifts. Begging should be against the rules and the phrase "gift me" should be filtered.

Explorer
Nov 21, 2009
61
Yes all the time, but I just keep going about my business as though I never even saw thier question...

Mastermind
Jun 30, 2009
339
I hear ya'll. Fortunately, I don't have the problem with the beggars asking me for stuff. I post help requests in Central for aid on the major areas that are impossible to solo, and do questing in worlds or zones that I have quests.

My problem is that when I am in the heat of a battle or on my way towards one, someone will yell for help (which puts pressure on me), and then when I get done and possibly port, that person has either finished off the quest, got schooled and sent back to the common area of the world, or have logged out.

It is irritating, but what I have been in the habit of doing is knocking them off my friends list, since I can't get what I am planning to do done, and chances are they are in an area I have no quest for in higher worlds.

Talon, L70 Death

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
723
Always annoying, but it sure allows me to keep my friend list tight. I usually get a few friend requests each time I play and nearly all immediately ask for a gift whether it be crown items or treasure cards. They get removed quicker than they can whine about my refusal. Whenever they attempt to blackmail over reporting me I remind them that it isn't a reportable offense and they are welcome to get themselves muted or banned for false reporting. I only 'real friend'-fill in the star by their name when they have proven themselves-by support or learning-and don't beg for stuff. And when I have a few extra crowns or cards to be generous with those are the ones who get them, and they always thank me and don't beg; it comes down to simple manners and class.

I had this as case in point, new guy I friended two days ago, first thing he asked for was a pack, I declined; then he asked if I'd take him and friend to MB so thy could quest. I agreed and then for the next 10 minutes he kept badgering me take him to various parts so he could get quests-as opposed to finishing the ones he had trying to power level or something. After that I told him I would only help him complete quests and he balked and whined until I was silent to him. Then last night he gets in and announces it's his birthday I congratulate him and give well wished; and then he proceeds to say what crown items he wants, and then graciously suggests that I and or a friend of mine gift him. I removed him and told him that his suggestion was unwelcomed and unwarranted. Then he tries to make me feel bad for not gifting him and removing him.

Survivor
Sep 01, 2011
29
seekers74 on Sep 23, 2013 wrote:
I'm at the point that I dread going through the Commons (and from time to time other places too, it's happened in Dragonspyre) sometimes due to the fact that I'm often barraged with requests to gift someone with crowns or buy people things. Worse, sometimes I don't get the request until I've friended the person. Yes, I run a full class of six wizards who each have a mount. I ride a White Stag (from the Christmas gifts), a Frontier Dragon (for having an older account), a two-person Treant (on sale on St. Pat's Day), a Rickshaw (a card mount), a Blue Dragon (just because I like Dragons) and a Hawk (a card mount). I understand these are all impressive to some players, but it does not mean I have a lot of crowns to be buying other people things. I'm glad there is an ignore button and the option to switch Realms. Does anyone else feel this way?
Ok, I will start by saying I understand being annoyed, because it is annoying. But I think about a kid who may not have money to spend but sees some little something in a game that makes him/her happy, so sometimes I will give small items. I used to exchange one TC from them for several from me for wizards who were just starting, but I no longer do trades, no reason, just don't. Items that they can quest for I do not give, and I have no problems responding "No" when I wish to.

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
403
seekers74 on Sep 23, 2013 wrote:
I'm at the point that I dread going through the Commons (and from time to time other places too, it's happened in Dragonspyre) sometimes due to the fact that I'm often barraged with requests to gift someone with crowns or buy people things. Worse, sometimes I don't get the request until I've friended the person. Yes, I run a full class of six wizards who each have a mount. I ride a White Stag (from the Christmas gifts), a Frontier Dragon (for having an older account), a two-person Treant (on sale on St. Pat's Day), a Rickshaw (a card mount), a Blue Dragon (just because I like Dragons) and a Hawk (a card mount). I understand these are all impressive to some players, but it does not mean I have a lot of crowns to be buying other people things. I'm glad there is an ignore button and the option to switch Realms. Does anyone else feel this way?
When people ask me for crowns I don't tell them I don't have any crowns I just say no over and over again to their requests, probably annoys them more than they annoy me if that's possible. When they finally ask me why, I won't be an idiot, I tell them I don't have any crowns. Haha, profiling someone on their level and mounts, ask before you profile. Anywho, when people beg for crowns I usually go to text chat and say Boo Hoo, over and over again, because it is such a shame that no one wants to waste crowns on a con wizard.

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2926
I am a level 90 wizard, who just so happens to collect mounts and, as a result, have several awesome ones from the packs. I also have a bunch of others that I bought for crowns or gold, plus a Malorian dragon (from a card that isn't available where I live and was gifted to me by one of my best in-game friends, who lives in the US).

Naturally, I get hounded with gifting requests any time I pass through the Commons. It's unfair that we should we have to be wary of wearing our cool stuff, just because someone *might* beg for crowns or gifts, so I'm grateful for the Ignore button... if only real life had one of those.



When someone asks for a gift, I tell them that:

1) I don't have crowns and was gifted the item by someone else, or
2) My parents disabled gifting on my account.

#1 is a white lie, and #2 is a huge lie: I'm an adult, and can enable gifting whenever I want. In fact, I like to gift my friends on their birthdays and holidays... but I work hard for my money and am not obligated to share any of it with someone I don't know from a hole in the wall.

/my 2 cents,

Laura S.
"von"

Defender
Aug 21, 2013
150
I sometimes get hounded for gifts. When I smell a gift request coming on, I nip it in the bud right away. They start asking if I have crowns, I'm like, "I use crowns for access" which is true, because I do the pay-as-you-play deal. I then tell them, "and I don't gift people" or something directly to that affect. The last part isn't exactly true, as I have gifted before, but it's who I choose and when. If someone is on my list and starts begging, I tell them that if they don't stop that I'll have an empty spot on my friends list. Only had a couple of people do that and when I said that to them, they stopped.

Haven't had anyone threaten to report me if I don't gift them stuff, though if they were to try, I would tell them to go ahead since I'm not doing anything wrong by refusing to gift them. My crowns, I can spend them however I want. If I don't want to gift them, then I don't have to. If they don't like it, then tough.

Survivor
Jul 24, 2013
3
Man, this is just horrible. Don't people know that you don't get stuff for free?

My wizard has a friend called Richard Lifebringer. He asked my wizard for help and I sent her there to help out in Celestia. He then said "If you want, I'll give you cards after this battle", so I was pleased and helped him out and he asked me what pack and I got the Raven's Hoard Pack(which had two Ravenwood Banners). Then, later, in Stormriven Hall, he asked me to help him in the Cave of Night and said "You want more cards?" So I helped him fight Tobiko and got the Islander's Hoard Pack(which had two 7-day fish mounts that I didn't really need since I had a blue dragon).

The point is this: I HELPED this guy out and he rewarded me with his hard-earned Crowns. If you beggars want anything, you help people fight bosses and they MAY offer you gifted items as thanks. Hanging around the Commons and whining "Plz gift me item, thnx!" is an AUTOMATIC turn-off and, if you come to me and say that, I WILL report you for soliciting.

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2926
CJ Snivy on Sep 30, 2013 wrote:
Man, this is just horrible. Don't people know that you don't get stuff for free?

My wizard has a friend called Richard Lifebringer. He asked my wizard for help and I sent her there to help out in Celestia. He then said "If you want, I'll give you cards after this battle", so I was pleased and helped him out and he asked me what pack and I got the Raven's Hoard Pack(which had two Ravenwood Banners). Then, later, in Stormriven Hall, he asked me to help him in the Cave of Night and said "You want more cards?" So I helped him fight Tobiko and got the Islander's Hoard Pack(which had two 7-day fish mounts that I didn't really need since I had a blue dragon).

The point is this: I HELPED this guy out and he rewarded me with his hard-earned Crowns. If you beggars want anything, you help people fight bosses and they MAY offer you gifted items as thanks. Hanging around the Commons and whining "Plz gift me item, thnx!" is an AUTOMATIC turn-off and, if you come to me and say that, I WILL report you for soliciting.
Unfortunately, while soliciting/scamming/begging is highly frowned upon (and rightly so), it is not a reportable offense.

I like that you're willing to work towards the rewards, instead of expecting that people will just hand them to you.
But, while it was very nice of this person to reward you for helping him, you shouldn't expect it~ the best kind of help is that which is freely given, without expecting anything in return.



-von

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
488
One time when I was a lower level, as annoying as it is, I went into the Commons and asked if I could go to Celestia. One person said he would but there was a catch. We would have to gift him a Hoard of the Hydra pack and he would let me go. I was broke on crowns, so my friend came. He took us to CL and demanded the pack. My friend gifted him, and he said he didn't get it so we would be banned. I reported him and logged off quickly. We did get into CL but wasted 359 crowns. Beggars are very annoying. It does seem to sort of be going away, though. Instead of people directly asking for crowns from somebody they just go into the Commons and ask for crowns in front of everybody. I bet it is little kids who picked it up from somebody else. Never fall for scams, they can lead you into big trouble. Don't be the beggar, either, you don't see people on the streets begging for people's money whenever a car passes by. Crowns are money, remember that.

Explorer
May 23, 2009
62
I think beggars are funny, not annoying. From what I've seen why not start a friendship with them? I've had several close friends who eventually become "gifting" friends (we gift each other) all because they beg me to gift them with their puppy dog eyes when we met. Some of them are still in their ways asking to get gifted all the time. But honestly, they are great players and I have a blast chatting with them in game. Let's not to say, I have been stalked just for the sake of gifting. I've also met wizards who asked me to buy them a mega bundle (thankfully, not available anymore). The range between when begging is acceptable and not is very clear, anyway.

I am very fortunate to be able to buy crowns on an usual basis, knowing my is very spoiled.

Explorer
Dec 01, 2012
83
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Sep 24, 2013 wrote:
Yes beggars are extremely annoying. Just having a crown item on you seems to draw them like flies and I cannot abide them. They will come right up and ask if I have crowns. I just tell them it is none of their business or that I don't answer such questions. I still see kids offering to give crown shop mounts for 5 treasure cards and I feel so sorry for the new kids that may fall for this scam. I generally heckle the scammer as a way to warn any listening players that the person will only cheat them and no one gives away mounts for treasure cards. I have been threatened with reporting for not giving in to beggars to and I just tell them to go ahead and then they will be in trouble for doing false reports. I try to say this as often as possible so that any new players can know that the beggars do not have any real power over them and to not give in to the threats. It's really sad and I wish that there was something we could do about them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
You are 100% correct. I HATE beggars! Just because I have a mount makes them think I have a bunch of crowns, and even if I did they think I'm gonna randomly give it out. I think the option of gifting should be removed.

Defender
Apr 07, 2011
156
LoL my favourite so far:
"Can you gift me a bundle?"

Yeah dude i am the prince of Monaco and i am happy to gift you a bundle. Would you like 20-25 mega snack packs or a collection of mastery amulets as well? xD

Btw i feel really bad for beggars. Imagine that 90% of your playing time is begging at the commons. That is just lame.

Delver
Mar 17, 2011
278
lets face it in commons there always going be begger sent they want something they make up stuff just to get it I tired of hearing it to but the best thing today is just have them on ignore list and go on with you day

Survivor
Apr 09, 2013
3
seekers74 on Sep 23, 2013 wrote:
I'm at the point that I dread going through the Commons (and from time to time other places too, it's happened in Dragonspyre) sometimes due to the fact that I'm often barraged with requests to gift someone with crowns or buy people things. Worse, sometimes I don't get the request until I've friended the person. Yes, I run a full class of six wizards who each have a mount. I ride a White Stag (from the Christmas gifts), a Frontier Dragon (for having an older account), a two-person Treant (on sale on St. Pat's Day), a Rickshaw (a card mount), a Blue Dragon (just because I like Dragons) and a Hawk (a card mount). I understand these are all impressive to some players, but it does not mean I have a lot of crowns to be buying other people things. I'm glad there is an ignore button and the option to switch Realms. Does anyone else feel this way?
Boy, I sure know what you mean. I have been in battles and the whole time this one player kept asking me to gift him a crown shop wand, nightflame peagus, and gear. Wow, I sure was glad when it was over. I have had several players ask to be gifted mounts and swear they didn't have one, then as soon as we finished they were automatically remounted on the mount they went into battle on. I used to gift when I could, but now I just run when I am ask. Do some of them not realize that crowns cost real money? Or do they just not care? I have gotten to where I dislike having to go to the Bazaar or the Commons for anything. Like you said, thanks KI for the ignore and Realms buttons!

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
717
This used to bother me a lot too. I am an adult, and I now have the ability to get the cool stuff for myself that I wanted as a kid. I also get it for my daughter. For her it is easy, I have disabled gifting on her account.

For me it is easy too, I just don't friend anybody in the commons, and I usually keep the option to request being friended turned off when I am in Wizard city, especially in the commons. I now only make friends of people with whom I have actually been in a fight or shared part of a quest, and have seen that the player is respectful and shows good character.

If a beggar is persistent, I set that person to Ignore, then change realms, or port to my house, which is set to friends only. But mostly I just cancel any requests I get in the main Wizard City areas and go on without even thinking about it.

Perhaps it is sad that this is necessary, but it is just not worth it to me either to put up with that behavior or to let it upset me. If all they have to do is beg, that is sad, and shows poor character and poor upbringing -- but it is not really anything worth my thought or energy. Maybe when they get to Mooshu, if they ever do, The Moodha will be able to enlighten them on a more noble path for playing the game!

Mastermind
Jan 27, 2010
325
Begging is so stupid I'd much rather earn my own things infact I'm currently farming bosses for enough gold for a mount from the crowns shop and all of my gear is from drops.

Survivor
Apr 08, 2012
1
I think it's because they just want free packs or mounts so they don't have to pay for it but maybe there parents just can't afford crowns?

Delver
Mar 17, 2011
278
sloan pvp sergeant on Oct 1, 2013 wrote:
I think it's because they just want free packs or mounts so they don't have to pay for it but maybe there parents just can't afford crowns?
you are a little right but also you are wrong most of them are high lvl who make a noob on there other account just so they can get gifted then give the gift to there other self who is a higher lvl trust me when I say most of them can afford it they just don't wanna buy the stuff sent they lazy