Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Malistaire is not evil.

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jul 03, 2012
126
Malistaire is actually a sad person because his wife Sylvia died of sickness and could not be healed. Malistaire's heart was broken and now he is on a quest to take whatever he can to get his wife back. He took all of the things he did because he tried to force the spiral to give him his wife back.
Malistaire is not evil or anything. Malistaire is sad because of his wife and angry because we keep attacking him and he made those blockes and stuff so it would take longer for us to catch him. He is NOT evil.
I feel bad for Malistaire :( :( :(

Although Time Cannot Be Held Back Forever, Enjoy It While It Lasts.

Rylee SpiritBlood
Magus Necromancer
Level 32

If you don't like it and don't want to know the story then hushy hushy and don't read this!

Mastermind
Dec 11, 2011
333
Spoiler alert much? I didn't find out about his wife until DS.

~Eric CrowSpear - 80
~Eric LifeGiver - 77

Mastermind
Aug 10, 2011
329
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3166
Aw, why'd you ruin it for the newbies?

In any case, I agree~ I've always had a soft spot for "sympathetic" villains, because they're the most real. Whoever wrote that arc did a fantastic job of creating an antagonist who's just as human as he is completely despicable.

As mentioned on another board, I like Malistaire for the same reasons I liked Severus Snape in the Potter series. Sure, both were kinda nefarious and stuff, but there were good intentions behind it all (sorta)... and, just like Snapey's crush on Lily Potter, Malistaire was so blinded by his love for Sylvia that he didn't stop to consider the big picture (the Spiral being destroyed). It made me feel two things~ intense dislike, and overwhelming compassion... I couldn't make up my mind whether I wanted to give him a big hug (because I felt bad), clock him in the schnoz (for being a tool), or both.

If you're headed to the Crown of Fire, I suggest you find a blanket/box of tissues/random household member's t-shirt to cry your little wizard tears into... Just sayin'.

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
1626
gtafreak101 wrote:
Spoiler alert much? I didn't find out about his wife until DS.

~Eric CrowSpear - 80
~Eric LifeGiver - 77


they did mention it in wizard city but nobody pay attentions to some quests lolz


Survivor
Jun 20, 2010
18
DeathBlack5 wrote:
Malistaire is actually a sad person because his wife Sylvia died of sickness and could not be healed. Malistaire's heart was broken and now he is on a quest to take whatever he can to get his wife back. He took all of the things he did because he tried to force the spiral to give him his wife back.
Malistaire is not evil or anything. Malistaire is sad because of his wife and angry because we keep attacking him and he made those blockes and stuff so it would take longer for us to catch him. He is NOT evil.
I feel bad for Malistaire :( :( :(

Although Time Cannot Be Held Back Forever, Enjoy It While It Lasts.

Rylee SpiritBlood
Magus Necromancer
Level 32

If you don't like it and don't want to know the story then hushy hushy and don't read this!
so true its not really funny ... :D but what i think he did is he chanelled his sadness into anger ... thats why he was all ... evil 8)

Mastermind
May 13, 2011
381
well what he did after that made him evil. imagine what would happen if he summoned the dragon titan

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
935
Well you know what your right we should not fight with him anymore....................

Oh wait he wouldve destroyed wizard city or took it over. Evil.....Maybe not but still needs to be taken out lol.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3166
Kinda glad that he didn't summon the Dragon Titan...then we'd all be out of ice cream (meaning that it's time to die, hahaha~ my sense of humour is so messed-up!).

/terribly-depressing, psychotic LOLness.

In any case, he's not evil~ his mom just didn't hug him enough. So we should all give him hugs before we beat him up... and maybe the crazy fan-girls *waves hand in the air* should stand on the sidelines and make up a little dance (or something equally-creepy). I'm a dance-instructor, so I preemptively volunteer myself for that job!


Explorer
Dec 24, 2008
83
Um.... he tries to kill you just so he can bring his dead wife back to life. she didnt even want to come back to life. when she tried to reason with him, he didnt believe her. Malistaire only excepted it when he turned into a ghost and he was able to rest in peace with his wife.

Erica ShadowRunner~lvl 75 balance

Survivor
May 24, 2012
13
me too! James icefist i love this game party

Survivor
Nov 14, 2012
4
Aw, I only JUST found out about his wife. Not cool. :<
But yes, that is a very sad story. Poor Malistaire.

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
860
The Dream Eater Pr... on Nov 24, 2012 wrote:
Um.... he tries to kill you just so he can bring his dead wife back to life. she didnt even want to come back to life. when she tried to reason with him, he didnt believe her. Malistaire only excepted it when he turned into a ghost and he was able to rest in peace with his wife.

Erica ShadowRunner~lvl 75 balance
Agreed.

Survivor
Aug 29, 2011
3
The Dream Eater Pr... on Nov 24, 2012 wrote:
Um.... he tries to kill you just so he can bring his dead wife back to life. she didnt even want to come back to life. when she tried to reason with him, he didnt believe her. Malistaire only excepted it when he turned into a ghost and he was able to rest in peace with his wife.

Erica ShadowRunner~lvl 75 balance
but the final boss of azteca is maliastaire the undying. moraganthe said "Wait, I think someone wants to meet you!"
maliastaire doesnt rest with sylvia. His soul is stuck in his bones.

Explorer
Jan 08, 2011
52
My opinion is this:
Malistaire loved his wife Sylvia, but of course she got an uncurable illness and died. He was overcome by sorrow, frustration, and rage. He was sad because his wife died. Losing someone that dear to you is a lot of pain to deal with. He was not angry at Sylvia for dying, but he was mad at himself for not reacting to the illness more quickly for a possible cure.
But still...
Malistaire is not evil, I agree. However, he was blinded by these feelings and pushed away the harm he was causing to the spiral, bent on bringing Mrs. Drake back to life.
Who has a "Like" button for poor Maliataire? :P JK.
~KK

Explorer
Dec 24, 2008
83
pan man on Jan 21, 2013 wrote:
but the final boss of azteca is maliastaire the undying. moraganthe said "Wait, I think someone wants to meet you!"
maliastaire doesnt rest with sylvia. His soul is stuck in his bones.
Spoiler much?

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
1357
Sigh.
He is evil.
Sure, he was blinded, and we should feel bad for him, but that doesn't make it better.

Let me put it this way
Your aunt is murdered. Your uncle is depressed and angry that he didn't do anything. Thus, he goes on a rampage and tries to kill the murderer.
Would you say that he is evil, or not? Obviously, he was blinded by everything, and he goes out of his way to kill just to avenge his wife.

That is evil. That is almost like Malistaire's situation, even though he tried bringing his wife back to life and the uncle is just crazy.

Overall:
Malistaire is evil. Even though he had good intentions, he put the needs of one against the needs of the many or majority.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3166
Rony The Turtle on Feb 19, 2013 wrote:
Sigh.
He is evil.
Sure, he was blinded, and we should feel bad for him, but that doesn't make it better.

Let me put it this way
Your aunt is murdered. Your uncle is depressed and angry that he didn't do anything. Thus, he goes on a rampage and tries to kill the murderer.
Would you say that he is evil, or not? Obviously, he was blinded by everything, and he goes out of his way to kill just to avenge his wife.

That is evil. That is almost like Malistaire's situation, even though he tried bringing his wife back to life and the uncle is just crazy.

Overall:
Malistaire is evil. Even though he had good intentions, he put the needs of one against the needs of the many or majority.
that is not evil- that is vengeance, and the two are very different.

in the example you gave, no, i don't believe the uncle is evil either. modern social norms tell us that killing is wrong, which it is, but it was par for the course, once upon a time- read any history book, and you'll see what kinds of terrible acts were committed in the name of vengeance.

what we have here is just an example of someone whose inability to see the big picture would have been disastrous; note that he didn't actually harm anyone. i appreciate the quality of the writing, and the amount of depth given to that character.

sometimes, good people do bad things, and that's exactly what happened here. no act is innately good or evil, but for thinking which makes it so. i suppose that's why the road to... uh, dragonspyre... is paved with good intentions. even in a fantasy context.

-von
literary crusader of amazing amazingness.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
1357
Dr Von on Feb 20, 2013 wrote:
that is not evil- that is vengeance, and the two are very different.

in the example you gave, no, i don't believe the uncle is evil either. modern social norms tell us that killing is wrong, which it is, but it was par for the course, once upon a time- read any history book, and you'll see what kinds of terrible acts were committed in the name of vengeance.

what we have here is just an example of someone whose inability to see the big picture would have been disastrous; note that he didn't actually harm anyone. i appreciate the quality of the writing, and the amount of depth given to that character.

sometimes, good people do bad things, and that's exactly what happened here. no act is innately good or evil, but for thinking which makes it so. i suppose that's why the road to... uh, dragonspyre... is paved with good intentions. even in a fantasy context.

-von
literary crusader of amazing amazingness.
He had the intent to harm for his own selfish needs - I don't care what anyone says, but that's evil to me o_o

Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
15
Rony The Turtle on Feb 22, 2013 wrote:
He had the intent to harm for his own selfish needs - I don't care what anyone says, but that's evil to me o_o
Um, almost ALL "Main Story Villains" do that, look at almost all Main Villains, they do things for there own selfish needs. But that doesn't mean they are evil, some are put under the burden that their parents had, some driven mad by love or their true love's death, some for their honor, and some are just COMPLETELY selfish, and some for other things.

Malistaire is in the love's death category ! So in my opinion, Malistaire is NOT evil. (Yes he is evil in Azteca, but he was cursed to never die by Morganthe, so he seeks vengeance on you cause, i guess, he thinks WE cursed him to never die and it kept him away from Silvia!)

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3166
Rony The Turtle on Feb 22, 2013 wrote:
He had the intent to harm for his own selfish needs - I don't care what anyone says, but that's evil to me o_o
no, his intent was to bring sylvia back.

harm to anyone involved was due to his inability to see the big picture. he was so focused on the end-result (bringing sylvia back) that he didn't think of the long-term effects (the spiral being destroyed) and would do anything to accomplish said result (including take out anyone who got in his way).

look at morganthe: we don't know what her motive is, except that she's in it for herself and exists for the sole purpose of plotting to destroy the hero (in this case, the player character). that, in my opinion, is evil.

-von
literary crusader of amazing amazingness.

Squire
Jul 28, 2011
599
I feel so bad for poor Malistaire

His wife died, and he went crazy trying to bring her back because he loved her He got a dragon titan, and tryed to detroy anyone from stopping him, because he wanted Sylvia back so much.

To me, that isn't evil, that is a husband who loved his wife But in the end of his storyline, him and Sylvia are together

-Angela DragonStone
The wizard that rokz

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
793
First of all, I'd suggest putting the Spoiler Alert at the top of the message. Second, I agree Mali is misunderstood. That's part of why I like him as a character. Cartoony "destroy all life and stuff" villains aren't that appealing. That's why I'm interested in learning more about Morganthe, too.

Survivor
Apr 16, 2012
42
Rony The Turtle on Feb 19, 2013 wrote:
Sigh.
He is evil.
Sure, he was blinded, and we should feel bad for him, but that doesn't make it better.

Let me put it this way
Your aunt is murdered. Your uncle is depressed and angry that he didn't do anything. Thus, he goes on a rampage and tries to kill the murderer.
Would you say that he is evil, or not? Obviously, he was blinded by everything, and he goes out of his way to kill just to avenge his wife.

That is evil. That is almost like Malistaire's situation, even though he tried bringing his wife back to life and the uncle is just crazy.

Overall:
Malistaire is evil. Even though he had good intentions, he put the needs of one against the needs of the many or majority.
I agree. Saying Malistaire is not evil is like saying Satan isn't evil O_O
Alexis SilverHeart lvl 61 storm

Survivor
Jul 05, 2009
8
I'm writing a parody of Wicked with Malistare is Elphaba on Wizard101 Central. Originally, Morganthe was going to be Elphaba but Morganthe is pure wicked.
So I don't think he's that bad