Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Disappointment in Rude Players

AuthorMessage
Delver
Mar 10, 2009
241
Blue Jay on Oct 11, 2013 wrote:
On the subject of the original post where that little boy's character was "allowed" to die, I can say with complete confidence that that other wizard might as well have been me. As a life wizard, I am sick and tired of either lazy or under-leveled players looking at me as a "free mob fight" card and expecting me to carry for heals, because children or not I am nobody's crown-shop henchman and I want to speed through my did-not-collect-quests just as fast as the next wizard. Following off this policy, I run a very minimal mob deck of 4 cards plus a Shango lifeblade ammy and a pp wand, and with a 98 pp chance I usually finish off a mob fight in blade-blade-lord fashion (also forming up your rank 0 spells), carrying a satyr for emergencies. I am certainly not gonna pull heals because your snowflake got dinged in a fight he probably should not have been in. If you get in my fight I will expect you to take care of yourself and if you pull one after my lord goes off you better be planning to kill it. This goes for all parents, and for that matter all players. I get enough little whingers babysitting. Don't need more here.
Abigail Dragonrider Transcendent
Careful dear, your mercy is showing.

Survivor
Jan 22, 2013
30
Master pyromancer on Jul 3, 2013 wrote:
My character JackGriffenStrider (aka. Me) has never been mean and encountered any mean or rude players. LUCKY ME!!!!!
That's basically saying in your face. I guess you have been mean lol

Delver
Dec 18, 2009
201
I feel horrible for you and your family. I will admit that I also have been heckled in game and usually, either the person doesn't know they're being mean, or they're doing it for a reason. For example, sometimes, people make others say something in PvP to give the other person an opportunity to look at your stats. Other times, someone needs to report the person depending on how horrible they are being. On a different day, maybe the person needs to know how they are treating other people and tell the person to back off. Either way, no one should be treated rudely. After all, W101 is a game and some people just need to comprehend that

Historian
Jul 28, 2011
600
:( I have met a lot of rude people recently.....The thing is, unless they break a rule, we can't report them.
Being mean isn't reportable, but I don't know why....In every other game I have played, Being mean is reportable. KI, why is it not?

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
195
wizardrokz on Oct 14, 2013 wrote:
:( I have met a lot of rude people recently.....The thing is, unless they break a rule, we can't report them.
Being mean isn't reportable, but I don't know why....In every other game I have played, Being mean is reportable. KI, why is it not?
Here's my reasoning behind it. Being mean depends on the person itself.. and anyone can claim someone else was rude or mean to them by their standards. If it was reportable(believe me I wish it was). Some people would claim others are being mean all the time and just report everyone.. Those are extreme cases but there would still be people reporting for no reason and using others being mean as an excuse.

Explorer
Mar 18, 2010
71
I understand all of this. Yet, this is the internet people. There are going to be some people who aren't as nice. It's just life. Though if someone is rude to you, I'd recommend ignoring them or (if they are really bothering you, and being mean or bullying you) report them. Also, no one knows who you are or what you look like! Even if they call you a name, or what some call a "noob" (an early player), it doesn't matter. In fact, you get the thrill of starting a new game. I am disappointed that players are rude, yet it's not like we can ever seriously prevent any rude/negative behavior. But I feel all of us who enjoy the game shouldn't have to suffer!
-Ashley Deathflame
Balance, Level 66 :)

Mastermind
May 13, 2011
381
blaze ashblood on Sep 16, 2013 wrote:
I was doing pagoda one time with a friend and some other person and we were on the first boss and the other person said the boss was his target (i had no problem with that) and the person had the boss at very low health and i accidentally clicked on fire dragon and it defeated the boss. Then the guy started getting all rude about it and eventually i left.
why should he get mad in first place? killing a target yourself isnt that important

Delver
Mar 10, 2009
241
Sneaky George Quar... on Oct 27, 2013 wrote:
why should he get mad in first place? killing a target yourself isnt that important
I totally agree with you there, it Is a team thing after all, but you would be surprised how many people get all ego'd out about killing the boss. As soon as the fight starts they yell "I got the boss" or "blade" or "spiral" etc. It is totally annoying and completely handicaps you if you have really strong attack all spells. In my humble opinion, if you want to claim rights to a boss then fight alone. When you are on a team it doesn't matter who kills who. A victorious team is the one that walks away with all players intact.
OK, time for some spiced cider. x Sets out punch bowl for all to enjoy. x

Survivor
Aug 11, 2012
6
I'm sorry this sort of thing has happened to so many people. Here's the best advice I can give:

1. Find someone you know IRL to team up with, or at least someone you know on this forum. (Siblings usually work best, but a friend will do also. ^^) Few Wizards that just happen to be nearby during a battle or dungeon are going to stick around for long, and you really can't expect them to.

2. If someone is being rude (by your standards), leave or just ignore them. As much as I wish they could be reported, I understand why they can't. For children under 8, most certainly block text chat (and it may be a good idea for players up to even 11 or so).

3. Never immediately lay blame on another player. Often, wrong spells can be clicked, or someone may have to leave (for dinner, or school, or whatever else that is far more important than the game). I find that it helps me to keep from getting angry to assume that it wasn't their fault. (Of course, this doesn't apply to straight-on verbal meanness - however, I often leave off the "plz" during battles simply because I'm trying to think about two things at once, so try not to be offended by curtness either.)

~Melissa Hawkriver
Level 31

Mastermind
Dec 05, 2012
393
I don't like this either, I would report him if he didn't stop after telling him twice.

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
195
Blaze Deathward on Nov 14, 2013 wrote:
I don't like this either, I would report him if he didn't stop after telling him twice.
That's the issue.. just being rude isn't reportable, even if they don't stop. HOWEVER, if they break one of the rules(code of conduct), like say swearing around the filters or using racially/sexually offensive language, then you can report them. The moderators will check the chat logs and levy punishment as needed.

Delver
Mar 10, 2009
241
Blaze Deathward on Nov 14, 2013 wrote:
I don't like this either, I would report him if he didn't stop after telling him twice.
That would get You into trouble, not him. Rudeness and battle etiquette breaches are not reportable offenses. Ignoring them and switching realms to get away from them is your best bet.

Survivor
Jun 13, 2009
14
I'm sorry to hear about all of the incidents on this post. All I can say, is that although Wizard101 was made for kids to have fun with safety parents approve of, Wizard101 was also made for anyone else. Despite what reporting can do, people can simply disable their membership, and renew it on a new account, and if a URL gets banned, people can simply use a new computer. I've been tangled in drama before in this game, and it was very traumatic to me and my friend after it happened, it was at the point where we almost called the police. All I can really do to support other people is to say this; there are always going to be rude people, selfish people, and people who don't care about the wellbeing of others. Wizards is excellent with keeping the rules as is, and reporting is effective, but there are incedents where the moderators cannot really control.Yes, the reporting system works, as does banning and muting, but Wizards can't change the behavior of one rude person, or anyone in that matter. I care about everyone on this game, from the younger ones to the people my age. Yes, Wizards can always restraint their rules, but can't we all agree there will always be one kid or one person who feels like creating havok on others? Sadly, the real world isn't where everything is fair, equal and peaceful. Parents, I apologize if your children have endured drama or anything on this game, I can agree with you by how you feel about the game, and everyone, I'm sorry for the incidents you have endured. Sadly, one of the only things we can do is to either ignore those rude people, or report them.

I'm truly sorry for everyone who has been stressed by the drama-causing, rude, or annoying people on this game. Drama is a vicious cycle for kids and adults and anyone. Parents endure upset kids, and kids endure emotional stress. And everyone else does as well, with emotional stress.

Sincerely, Madison Nightstone.

Survivor
Jun 26, 2013
44
I am going to strongly agree with other people's responses on this post and say that if I had a child of that age then I wouldn't even let them have text chat because of their young age. they shouldn't have that freedom at the kind of an age and should be restricted until they are older for the text chat and then onto the menu chat

Sarah SparkleCloud 95 pet warlord

Survivor
Jan 15, 2010
16
Michael161 on Sep 19, 2009 wrote:
It would be a shame if you stopped your son playing because of the actions of one apparent idiot.

How did your son read the open chat messages anyway? (By open chat, I am assuming you mean Text Chat. The default option for 8 year-olds is Menu Chat which strictly limits the things players can say to each other. If your son can read Text Chat, it is because you enabled that feature for him.)

If you are referring to Menu Chat, then there are a few "Taunts" that can be used, but they are pretty harmless. If your son was upset by these, then perhaps he is still too young for a game of this kind.

It is also possibe that the other player was not taunting your son, but the monsters. I like to toss a few "Take that!"'s and "Meet your maker's" into a fight for colour. It's part of the role-play.

The other player may have been casting healing or protection spells on himself. He would not have known that your son was only eight years old, just as other players do not know I'm in my 50's. He would have expected your son to defend himself as best he could.

I would also point out that your son did not "die". No-one dies in Wizard101. If a player loses a match, he or she goes a bit woozy, and will be magically transported out of harm's way to the Commons. No death - just "get me out of here". If you explain that to your son, he may be less upset.

Nicely put. You are completely correct.
Jasmine Roseflame lvl52/ Savior of The Spiral

Survivor
Dec 04, 2012
23
llemarrajade on Sep 19, 2009 wrote:
I'm a parent and game with my 8-year old son. We've enjoyed our time on Wizard 101, but I'm likely going to cancel my subscription. Tonight, my son was heckled by another player who had open chat. As a spoiled sport this individual proceeded to cast 0 level spells on himself and allow my son's character to die. While I understand that this is a game and no one has to follow any code, players should remember that little kids could be on the opposite end. My son's feelings were very hurt....He couldn't understand why someone would treat him so poorly.
Something similar has happened to me before, (I have open chat), but you cannot "filter" the bad eggs out. It will only make the game that much more complicated and irritating. As many others have said on your post already, either change him to menu chat so that he cannot hear the rude comments, or make him wait two or three more years before letting him play online video games. My son is not aloud to play video games till he is 13. I didn't get my first video game till I was 15. And now there are 5 year olds running around with iphones. It is a new age, but you should first try using menu chat for your son before ending his online gaming or ending the subscription.

Survivor
Jul 28, 2013
33
Very sorry that happened. If your son enjoys the game like I know I do, don't make him stop playing because of one rude stupid jerk. Make sure you watch your son every once and a while so you can automatically do something around suspicious wizards.
Alia Winterwhisper,

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
717
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Oct 29, 2013 wrote:
I totally agree with you there, it Is a team thing after all, but you would be surprised how many people get all ego'd out about killing the boss. As soon as the fight starts they yell "I got the boss" or "blade" or "spiral" etc. It is totally annoying and completely handicaps you if you have really strong attack all spells. In my humble opinion, if you want to claim rights to a boss then fight alone. When you are on a team it doesn't matter who kills who. A victorious team is the one that walks away with all players intact.
OK, time for some spiced cider. x Sets out punch bowl for all to enjoy. x
I agree with you on this as well. Nicely said Chrissy!

Survivor
Apr 07, 2013
8
llemarrajade on Sep 19, 2009 wrote:
I'm a parent and game with my 8-year old son. We've enjoyed our time on Wizard 101, but I'm likely going to cancel my subscription. Tonight, my son was heckled by another player who had open chat. As a spoiled sport this individual proceeded to cast 0 level spells on himself and allow my son's character to die. While I understand that this is a game and no one has to follow any code, players should remember that little kids could be on the opposite end. My son's feelings were very hurt....He couldn't understand why someone would treat him so poorly.
I am very sorry to hear that about your son should just ignore this wizard and keep playing a fun game and it would be smart to report this player i am only a level 55 but when i defeat a low level i always say good job you tried your hardest then add them as a friend and help them on anything they need so it would not be smart to do that and cancel your subscription i die allot by level zero spell cause mostly cause there enchanted So you should let your son still play this game

Explorer
Jan 03, 2013
71
Yes there are a lot of rude players out there especially the beggars, you can see what I said about them in a different topic. The best way to deal with rude people is just calm down count to ten or ignore them or switch to another realm but if you say the rude character was casting 0 pip spells it may not have been that he was being rude he may have just been defending himself. Also if your son is 8 years old you should probably watch him as he plays so you can help him out of sticky situations. I know for a fact as an every now and then solitary person sometimes, I sorta wish the enemy would defeat (not kill) the other person because they can get annoying at times, like on my fire wizard when I get a new spell I go to unicorn way and test it out on the lost souls and I get REALLY frustrated when novices join and use 1 pip spells and defeat the lost soul !!!!! You just have to figure out your own style of staying calm and avoiding rude players.

Survivor
May 05, 2009
41
Michael161 on Sep 19, 2009 wrote:
It would be a shame if you stopped your son playing because of the actions of one apparent idiot.

How did your son read the open chat messages anyway? (By open chat, I am assuming you mean Text Chat. The default option for 8 year-olds is Menu Chat which strictly limits the things players can say to each other. If your son can read Text Chat, it is because you enabled that feature for him.)

If you are referring to Menu Chat, then there are a few "Taunts" that can be used, but they are pretty harmless. If your son was upset by these, then perhaps he is still too young for a game of this kind.

It is also possibe that the other player was not taunting your son, but the monsters. I like to toss a few "Take that!"'s and "Meet your maker's" into a fight for colour. It's part of the role-play.

The other player may have been casting healing or protection spells on himself. He would not have known that your son was only eight years old, just as other players do not know I'm in my 50's. He would have expected your son to defend himself as best he could.

I would also point out that your son did not "die". No-one dies in Wizard101. If a player loses a match, he or she goes a bit woozy, and will be magically transported out of harm's way to the Commons. No death - just "get me out of here". If you explain that to your son, he may be less upset.

I agree and disagree,

1. dying is only an expression which people use to express that they were defeated. :)
2. I agree that he wouldn't know that he was eight years old, but he must understand that people that age do play this game. My little sister was in a situation with an older man who was treating her poorly, *I'm not getting into it, it was pretty bad :(*
3. I agree with the taunting part, if he's kid was offended by that, then he shouldn't be playing the game.

Sorry if you disagree with my......disagreements. :)

Defender
Jan 31, 2010
119
Ok, after reading much of the posts on the 1st page I am willing to share my own experiences with rude players in this game. Now, I shall not say any names but I have had many encounters with people and not all of them start out well. Not only are there rude players in this game, but there are also players who will bother you so much that you just want to delete them. I currently have one such friend in-game, but I haven't deleted him yet... Now, most of the players I have encountered on the live game have been friendly but not all have been. I was working on Khrysalis on the Test Realm for multiple different days and this is how the whole thing played out for me:

Day 1: Started Khrysalis and only managed to get to Tyrian Gorge; worked on Moon Cliffs, Silent Market, Last Wood and Part of Tyrian Gorge with some friends.

Day 2: I come back to find that the friends I was working with have moved on far ahead of me but managed to get them to help me when I needed it.

Day 3: Got to Melanos Tower in Tyrian Gorge after discovering I was ahead of my friends!

Day 4: Finished Khrysalis

Now I also worked on Avalon on the Test Realm and on the live game, I ran into a guy whom I got into a argument with and he blocked me. After I tried to apologize, he just blew me off like he didn't care what I had to say. Don't cancel your subscription! Just ignore the person and move on in the game! Note that out of the millions of players that play this game, about 5% of them are mean. The other 95% either mind their own business or act friendly towards other players. Just explain to your son that not all players are mean on this game and that he shouldn't dwell on this one incident.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
717
I just thought it might help to re-post the official KI info on game etiquette, from their own introduction to the game. Here it is:

Game Etiquette - The Do's and Don'ts of being a Good Sport in Wizard101

Do: Help other people when they are in trouble or if they ask for assistance.Ask your friends if you can join them before you teleport to them in the game.When adventuring in a group, participate and contribute to the team! Bring the right cards for your play style, keep your potion bottles, health and mana full, and cheer on fellow Wizards.Use the ignore feature. If you see someone saying something that makes you feel uncomfortable, click on their name and choose Ignore. That way they will not be able to bother you again.Don't: Don’t SHOUT AT THE TOP OF YOUR LUNGS! People can see what you are saying without using all capital letters.Don’t look for ways to break the rules of the game. If you see someone doing this, report them! Don’t use “creative” spelling or word choices to say things you shouldn't say. The chat filters are in place for a reason and if you have to get creative to say something, then you shouldn't be saying it.Don’t be a bully. Not only is it a mean thing to do, but it will get you banned from the game permanently!Don’t forget the Golden Rule – Always treat others like you would like to be treated!

Survivor
Oct 04, 2009
30
First of all, i am so sorry that happened to your son. Something similar happened to me, having to do with PvP. I was fighting another player, and I lost the battle. He looked at my PvP rating. When he started laughing, he said that I was the worst PvP player he has ever see. My PvP rating was under for hundred, and he started to make fun of me. I continued fighting, just trying to let it go. He teleported into my battle to watch. He started saying things that had to do with me losing. It really hurt my feelings. I just said that he was being rude, but he continued to say mean things, including that I was overreacting. He started coming to all my battles, and tormenting me about how terrible I was. It just really hurt my feelings. The players in the game should realize that people of any ages could be the one that you are being mean to. Little kids can be really hurt by things that older say, when they don't realize what it can do. I think there should be a better way of dealing with people like these.

Samuel Lifebringer Level 92 ( You know who you are, Kyle ) P.S. Thank you for having my back Dakota

Delver
Jun 17, 2011
214
supervixen52 on Jan 21, 2010 wrote:
okay I finally found the new topic flag. Anyway, why make grubb so hard you have to have help when players are so rude. I keep having problems with people not wanting to have anything to do with you if your not part of thier little group. I never ask someone to be my friend, always wait for them but when I say yes usually they wont talk to me, or delete me. I ran all over the sunken city trying to connect withthis guy who kept asking me personally for help, but when I found him he told me to go away? Why make gameplay depend on teamwork when people can be so rude?
I am about to quit the game, but I've come this far. But I'm tired of having my feelings hurt over and over again. You say this game is for older people too but everyone acts so childish. Otherwise it could be a great game. I'm always polite, but have had people delete me after I help them level up over and over. Now I can go no farther just because I am not part of a little "group"? Someone please renew my faith in this game. Also how do you find your post later? And it says it notifies you when someone answers but how to they do that? Sorry to be so cranky but I hope I haven't just wasted all my time.
Not everyone-they're are many amazing people to friend. Even in wiz101 it all goes back to the Golden Rule Treat others the Way You Want to be Treated.
Grace DreamRider 77