Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Disappointment in Rude Players

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 07, 2012
37
some people don't understand. this is a game made for entertainment. if your kid,sister brother or whoever was mad tell them play the game and dont worry about so called friends unless you need help in a dungeon. i had to learn that the hard way


Katie Frostflower level 34

Survivor
Jan 02, 2012
45
I had a fire promethean friend, and I asked him to help me with Briskbreeze Tower to get the Obsidian Chest for the DS quest. Obviously I didn't know the chest was actually in Prince Gobblestone's place. Since I was such a low level (around 50) and only had one promethean with me, we died many times. He eventually had to go, and the next day he asked me if I had gotten it yet. By then I had realized that the chest wasn't in the tower, so I told him. I already knew he could be a little mean to people sometimes, but what happened next was not called for. He unfriended me, said a number of awful things that got around the chat filter, and said "Good luck failing at dungeons, noob." I reported him, but, I mean, REALLY? I would be frustrated if I had been in his place, but I just don't know. Some people lol. KI should figure out the ways people get around the filter, and stop them. Have a wonderful day!

Rebecca Shadowbreeze Lvl 66 Megan Sunsong Lvl 51 Ryan Lvl 44 Haley Stormcloud Lvl 43 Sophia Rubyflame Lvl 35 Isabella Rose Lvl 32 Thank you for your time.

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
403
Yes, some people are rude in Wizard101, real life, and even the message board sometimes. Those people in the message boards (not this post) that just accuse people of saying stuff they didn't and then yelling at them. It is a shame at people these days being rude and generalizing. For wizard101 there is a great report button and the ignore button goes a long way! Good luck questing buddies.

Survivor
Dec 21, 2008
12
I think that although the other player was mean, he/she might have done this for a reason, for instance, if your son and the player were in a hard dungeon and the player was a much higher level than your son, he/she would see no reason to help them.

(P.S. sorry to say but i think that actually might have been me in mount olympus. i am so sorry that this may cause you to stop playing this amazing game.)

Eric Fireweave - lvl 38-

Defender
Jun 18, 2012
186
I really feel bad for you and your son. be aware, even filtered text isn't safe enough, and there is a need for filter improvements. so maybe you sould cancel text chat for your son or do something like that until KI makes some improvements to the chat.

Survivor
Dec 21, 2008
12
cgsbr on Aug 15, 2013 wrote:
I think that although the other player was mean, he/she might have done this for a reason, for instance, if your son and the player were in a hard dungeon and the player was a much higher level than your son, he/she would see no reason to help them.

(P.S. sorry to say but i think that actually might have been me in mount olympus. i am so sorry that this may cause you to stop playing this amazing game.)

Eric Fireweave - lvl 38-
oops, looks like i forgot to look when the first message was posted. nvm

Explorer
Aug 06, 2008
71
Lately I've been finding more and more players in W101 becoming increasingly rude. Today I died in a length dungeon (tartarus) with 2 other players at cerebrus (the dogs right near the end of the dungeon). I decided to flee and come right back. Returning to enter the dungeon as I had forgotten to mark and catch up with my friends. I said "solo" a few times before hoping onto the sigil. As the timer ticked down, right when it was turning from the last 1 second tick, another player joined. We both entered a new dungeon now mind you since someone who wasn't in it joined, then he said "lol" and left. With 2 players left in the dungeon, they managed to finish cerebrus, but couldn't beat Hades, Zeus, and Poesidan. Anyway, this wasted a little over and hour of 3 peoples time so one guy could get his "lol" in. I've never understood what causes people to do this, but it's extremely frustrating some times. Has this ever happened to any1 else?

Delver
Feb 25, 2013
254
ravenhecate on May 7, 2010 wrote:
No I think what this person is doing is venting a bit of frustration at having a friend's list full of young wizards who constantly send out demands for help instead of asking nicely for it. Is it too much to ask for that when a person needs help from someone on their list, especially someone you don't know in real life, that you add a "plz" at the end of it?

I am with the original poster on this one....if I get a message on the side of the screen demanding for help, I immediately find something else more important to do. A little courtesy goes a long way.
Demands are SO annoying. I had this one friend who was constantly demanding help, so much the whole whisper chat side was flodded with "help" . I usually say please, unless it's an emergancy and I'm getting defeated that second.

Destiny Windgem, level 55

Allison Starsong, level 8

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
195
Destiny Windgem on Sep 2, 2013 wrote:
Demands are SO annoying. I had this one friend who was constantly demanding help, so much the whole whisper chat side was flodded with "help" . I usually say please, unless it's an emergancy and I'm getting defeated that second.

Destiny Windgem, level 55

Allison Starsong, level 8
Agreed... When I get a help request from someone who just says "port to me" or "help me" flat out, instead of putting "can you" before it, I jump into a fight and say I'm battling. Courtesy does go a long way and usually people on my friends list who do this tend to get a lot more help out of me.

Explorer
Aug 06, 2008
71
Joshua Starflame on Sep 3, 2013 wrote:
Agreed... When I get a help request from someone who just says "port to me" or "help me" flat out, instead of putting "can you" before it, I jump into a fight and say I'm battling. Courtesy does go a long way and usually people on my friends list who do this tend to get a lot more help out of me.
I completely agree! Changing it from a demand to a "please and thanks you" question will get you so much farther. Generally I don't mind helping, but if you're asking constantly for help it gets a bit annoying and I generally remove the person from my friends list after a while. The other half of this is, I don't mind helping people that have trouble with boss fights, but please don't have me stop my quest to go port to you, just to find out that you're doing a collect quest and want to speed it up.
-Adam Seafist lvl 90

Defender
Jan 03, 2013
146
Its called don't let him see the pvp arena. Pvp is much more self-centered and negative now than it was. Not safe for your child to be at.

Kane Deathbringer Level 90 Death

Explorer
Dec 21, 2009
84
llemarrajade on Sep 19, 2009 wrote:
I'm a parent and game with my 8-year old son. We've enjoyed our time on Wizard 101, but I'm likely going to cancel my subscription. Tonight, my son was heckled by another player who had open chat. As a spoiled sport this individual proceeded to cast 0 level spells on himself and allow my son's character to die. While I understand that this is a game and no one has to follow any code, players should remember that little kids could be on the opposite end. My son's feelings were very hurt....He couldn't understand why someone would treat him so poorly.
What funny wheather said.

Though you could show your son how to report people.

look on the bright side though, no usage of foul language.

Survivor
Jan 27, 2013
22
Hey i read the message and i have some reasons why that happened.
1. That guy was a jerk.
2. He didn't know.
3. He might not have any spells to heal your son.( not much people get spells that heal other people, mainly life people do.)
4. He thought your son could handle himself and heal.
5. He might have not had enough to time to heal your son.

PLUS + people just like to sometimes do stuff alone or something. I hope this gets to you since this topic seems like it has been here a while. your welcome! :) also i hate people who call other people noobs and there is a by pass from the filter to say some bad words. like the F and A ones sorry like as is for the A one. I dare not do the other for i merely an eleven year old. and do not let him play after most average kids bed times cause that is when almost the only people are on is cussing teenagers. yet some adults and elders are on to. plus i hope they do not cancel this post. i am giving people tips for safety because some people are so mean and they bully and they discourage people form their dreams. but... dream on!And have fun in the life of yours for you probably only have one of those lives if rebirth isn't real. Sorry if i got a bit off topic but youw welcome again and stay safe online and in the real world!

Survivor
Jan 19, 2010
35
llemarrajade on Sep 19, 2009 wrote:
I'm a parent and game with my 8-year old son. We've enjoyed our time on Wizard 101, but I'm likely going to cancel my subscription. Tonight, my son was heckled by another player who had open chat. As a spoiled sport this individual proceeded to cast 0 level spells on himself and allow my son's character to die. While I understand that this is a game and no one has to follow any code, players should remember that little kids could be on the opposite end. My son's feelings were very hurt....He couldn't understand why someone would treat him so poorly.
What do you mean level 0 spells? If he was casting a blade to power up or trap or maybe a shield to defend?

Defender
Jul 21, 2010
120
cgsbr on Aug 15, 2013 wrote:
I think that although the other player was mean, he/she might have done this for a reason, for instance, if your son and the player were in a hard dungeon and the player was a much higher level than your son, he/she would see no reason to help them.

(P.S. sorry to say but i think that actually might have been me in mount olympus. i am so sorry that this may cause you to stop playing this amazing game.)

Eric Fireweave - lvl 38-
It couldn't have been you. This was posted in 2010. Mount Olympus was just released...

Survivor
May 18, 2009
10
Michael161 on Sep 19, 2009 wrote:
It would be a shame if you stopped your son playing because of the actions of one apparent idiot.

How did your son read the open chat messages anyway? (By open chat, I am assuming you mean Text Chat. The default option for 8 year-olds is Menu Chat which strictly limits the things players can say to each other. If your son can read Text Chat, it is because you enabled that feature for him.)

If you are referring to Menu Chat, then there are a few "Taunts" that can be used, but they are pretty harmless. If your son was upset by these, then perhaps he is still too young for a game of this kind.

It is also possibe that the other player was not taunting your son, but the monsters. I like to toss a few "Take that!"'s and "Meet your maker's" into a fight for colour. It's part of the role-play.

The other player may have been casting healing or protection spells on himself. He would not have known that your son was only eight years old, just as other players do not know I'm in my 50's. He would have expected your son to defend himself as best he could.

I would also point out that your son did not "die". No-one dies in Wizard101. If a player loses a match, he or she goes a bit woozy, and will be magically transported out of harm's way to the Commons. No death - just "get me out of here". If you explain that to your son, he may be less upset.

I couldn't agree more. Perhaps the best solution to this problem is to disable Open Chat (which is usually for players over 13 for reasons such as this), as it is clearly upsetting. In addition, it may be wise to remind your son that it is just a game played for his entertainment. That way, although he has a right to be upset, he won't take it as hard.

-Elizabeth Darkmask, level 81 Thaumaturge

Survivor
Aug 06, 2009
44
I was doing pagoda one time with a friend and some other person and we were on the first boss and the other person said the boss was his target (i had no problem with that) and the person had the boss at very low health and i accidentally clicked on fire dragon and it defeated the boss. Then the guy started getting all rude about it and eventually i left.

Survivor
Aug 14, 2009
21
I am playing wizard101 with my younger brother. We have run into people like that, but we joined the game knowing it's a MMO game and there were going to be mean people in the game. Tell your son he did't die he just got knocked out and ported to the commons to regain focus. If your son will get up set over something like that then don't join MMO games, my brother is younger then your son and doesn't get upset ( ok well he dose but not that much.. I hope ) well wizard101 is a great game and they should continue to add on! But i
I wouldn't make your son quite just because of one idiot.

Marissa Frostsong level 33

Cameron Bluesing level 8

Delver
Aug 26, 2012
204
Same thing happed to my friend Sean Stormgem. He received a friend request and because of the good guy he is accepted it. The "dude" told Sean to give him all his dragon treasure cards. Of course Sean lost a bunch of his best cards. He couldn't see the "dude" was a bully. If this doesn't make you feel better sorry I don't have a better advice but an advice I DO have is that before a "dude" tells you something crazy like this analyze the request first. Then answer hopefully if you say no there is a good chance you avoided a bully.

Find me in the game:

Ian Dragonshield lvl 52wizard

Hero
Apr 29, 2012
751
I feel sorry for you & your son and all of that. But isn't Wizard101 a 12 game?

Survivor
Nov 05, 2011
21
llemarrajade on Sep 19, 2009 wrote:
I'm a parent and game with my 8-year old son. We've enjoyed our time on Wizard 101, but I'm likely going to cancel my subscription. Tonight, my son was heckled by another player who had open chat. As a spoiled sport this individual proceeded to cast 0 level spells on himself and allow my son's character to die. While I understand that this is a game and no one has to follow any code, players should remember that little kids could be on the opposite end. My son's feelings were very hurt....He couldn't understand why someone would treat him so poorly.
i feel sorry for u, once a player called me weak cuz i am a ice wizard even though every school has its pros and cons. if it was a wand attack it might of been a low lvl or a troll. also once someone joined my battle and left and i almost got defeated. - Amber Hawksong the lvl 70 ice wizard

Survivor
Nov 05, 2011
21
hunteray09 on Jul 20, 2010 wrote:
Ok so let me start that I am not a grown up but i am also not a teenager. And when I play with my friends sometimes it gets pretty dramatic and ends up in a big fight. I am no longer friends with these people but they said very rude things. Some of the people even cried over wizard101 if something bad happened :? . But what really bugged me is they cussed all the time. I don't cuss at all but these people did it all the time. I decided to just ignore it for awhile considering some of these people were my best friends online. Then one day it got really out of hand. I was trying to stand up to one of my fellow friends (that didn't cuss) emily. The mean kids were making fun of her and I told them to plz stop. Did they? No. I suddenly had gotten myself involved. It ended up to be a big fight and the mean kids were winning. Me and Emily finally just left. I deleted everyone there. Yet i still see them time to time cause they have tons of friends on my friends list, and cuss and make fun of me and emily,and reed. I reported them all there but it's just I don't really get the point of reports. They told me this was a fake report. Is that true? Well anyway hear are some of the people that bugged me

aaron thunderblade

ashley earth walker

jack moon blood

KI if you could plz find a way to report these people would you?

I'd also like to thank

emily fire flame

reed something something XD
and kris for sticking up for me.

James Skull Wielder
lvl49 necromancer
those reports do work also just ignore mean ppl you find

Explorer
Nov 21, 2009
61
That is why there are Ignore and Report buttons!

Survivor
May 06, 2009
8
On the subject of the original post where that little boy's character was "allowed" to die, I can say with complete confidence that that other wizard might as well have been me. As a life wizard, I am sick and tired of either lazy or under-leveled players looking at me as a "free mob fight" card and expecting me to carry for heals, because children or not I am nobody's crown-shop henchman and I want to speed through my did-not-collect-quests just as fast as the next wizard. Following off this policy, I run a very minimal mob deck of 4 cards plus a Shango lifeblade ammy and a pp wand, and with a 98 pp chance I usually finish off a mob fight in blade-blade-lord fashion (also forming up your rank 0 spells), carrying a satyr for emergencies. I am certainly not gonna pull heals because your snowflake got dinged in a fight he probably should not have been in. If you get in my fight I will expect you to take care of yourself and if you pull one after my lord goes off you better be planning to kill it. This goes for all parents, and for that matter all players. I get enough little whingers babysitting. Don't need more here.
Abigail Dragonrider Transcendent

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
195
Blue Jay on Oct 11, 2013 wrote:
On the subject of the original post where that little boy's character was "allowed" to die, I can say with complete confidence that that other wizard might as well have been me. As a life wizard, I am sick and tired of either lazy or under-leveled players looking at me as a "free mob fight" card and expecting me to carry for heals, because children or not I am nobody's crown-shop henchman and I want to speed through my did-not-collect-quests just as fast as the next wizard. Following off this policy, I run a very minimal mob deck of 4 cards plus a Shango lifeblade ammy and a pp wand, and with a 98 pp chance I usually finish off a mob fight in blade-blade-lord fashion (also forming up your rank 0 spells), carrying a satyr for emergencies. I am certainly not gonna pull heals because your snowflake got dinged in a fight he probably should not have been in. If you get in my fight I will expect you to take care of yourself and if you pull one after my lord goes off you better be planning to kill it. This goes for all parents, and for that matter all players. I get enough little whingers babysitting. Don't need more here.
Abigail Dragonrider Transcendent
Don't get me wrong I see exactly where you're coming from and I agree, however there is another side you haven't exactly looked at. What if the child was already in a fight and this person jumped in and did the stuff that the OP said he was doing? If this was the case then that was an extremely rude player.. However if the child jumped in the fight then that person would've gotten justifiably mad. Still I do agree with you. It's annoying when someone who can't pull their own weight jumps in the fight