Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wild Bolt is ridiculously overpowered in PvP

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 10, 2009
Does anybody seriously disagree with me?

If it was not so effective why would wizards sit there casting one after another until finally they get a hit? They can then follow up with one or two high damage spells from their school, which use all those pips they have been saving from their failed Wild Bolts, and suddenly the opponent is dead!

Perhaps the pip cost should be increased, but personally I think this spell should be reconsidered by the developers.

Survivor
May 07, 2009
It's a 10% chance of hit. That means you can be attacking them all the time while they try to hit you with it. Chances are you'd end up doing more damage to them than that one spell will to you.

Survivor
May 11, 2009
If I may, I think the real problem is that Wild Bolt can become a Treasure Card, which is silly because it's clearly a Storm exclusive spell.

Treasure Cards keep coming up as an issue in PvP. For one, because in the unique case of Wild Bolt, their capacity for recurring so easily creates issues where a given spell's fizzle rate is offset by its ease to cast and capacity to recur.

Additionally they seem to empower wizards of a certain level in unfair ways - there's no level requirement on a Treasure Card, so literally anyone has access to the higher pip spells like Helephant, Triton, etc. I weep for the low level wizard who loses his first match to an Ice Wizard that casts Helephant about 30 levels too soon.

There are a number of TC loopholes that should be addressed before single card instances take precedence. FWIW, I don't think that it should be so easy to just create a Treasure Card by using Tough or Keen Eyes on an existing spell - seems like the thing to do is 'separate' the fizzled entities, let the Keen Eyes go back to the sideboard and have the Wild Bolt hit the bin like a normal spell. But that's a partial solution to a particular instance, the real solution is a little broader than this.

Survivor
Oct 26, 2008
The original poster is talking about treasure card wild bolts that have been enhanced with keen eyes, accurate, or sniper so then the base chance to hit is now 20%, 25%, or 30%. Add in accuracy boost of 9%-16% from crown clothes to arena clothes and the range now becomes 29% to 46% which means over four rounds while they are building pips for a large attack they can hit you for 1000 base damage with two pips and then follow up with a six pip spell from their own school.

There are obviously ways to avoid the damage, but usually the people who spam them also use a storm wand and will remove shields and weakness then spam bolts again.

The above hypothetical situation assumes the player is higher level and gains an extra pip from a wand and power pips.

Defender
Oct 03, 2008
I seriously agree that I will disagree on disagreeing with you.

But really, wild bolt's pip cost could be raised. People might not spam it so much then.

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necromancer

Explorer
May 31, 2008
Here is what i have to say about this:

I was dueling in 2v2 with my friend(we were both Death), The other team was 1 storm and 1 balance: all they did was buff and wildbolt. we went second. They had no accuracy boosts on from clothes, The highest they could have gotten was 30% accuracy with an extremely rare Sniper Treasure card.

WildBolt hit every turn, it never fizzled. My partner was dead in the first turn, My death soon followed. I found this unbelievable. Was this meant to happen??? I mean they used WildBolts and Storm Lord, that was it.

-Swift

Wildbolt should stay in the Storm School and not be allowed to be made into a Treasure Card.

Also i don't want this to turn into another gripe about Balances Judgement,etc.

Survivor
Jan 10, 2009
Jallen02 wrote:
It's a 10% chance of hit. That means you can be attacking them all the time while they try to hit you with it. Chances are you'd end up doing more damage to them than that one spell will to you.

I'm sorry but this comment is rubbish, you cant be attacking them all the time. Any other halfway decent PvP attack takes multiple rounds to prepare, Wild Bolt takes no time to prepare at all and as an added bonus costs virtually nothing to cast!

Survivor
Sep 14, 2008
I tend to agree, there is a massive use of Wild bolt in the arena and its hit ratio is way more than 10%.

So much so the arena is not fun at all anymore.

I am balance and I can setup hits pretty good with Judgement, but I am finding short cuts are killing the fun.

Ronan Dragonrider lvl50 GM(bored with GH)

Explorer
Dec 29, 2008
I posted a similar post encouraging everyone to support increase pips for bolt or remove wild bolt from treasure cards . This is my original post.
https://www.wizard101.com/site/posts/list/8125.ftl

I think special spells like wild bolts, spells that you get only thru special quests from school teachers should not be allowed to be made as treasure cards. Allowing them to make a treasure card removes the uniqueness and balance among schools. There is a reason why storm has lower health, they have powerful attacks. Now if all schools can have the same attacks, then they might as well increase the health of a storm.

Morgrim LotusSheild - Storm grand (Warlord)
Morgrim LotusWraith - Death grand (Warlord)
Morgrim LotusBlade - Balance grand (Knight)
Morgrim LotusLeaf - Life grand (Knight)
Morgrim LotusHorn - Myth Magus (Sergeant)

Defender
Feb 03, 2009
The current state of 1 Vs. 1 PvP past Captain is thus...

Balance Wizard in full Warlord Gear. Doesn't particularly have to BE a Warlord mind you.

Spells used are Treasure Wildbolts, and Treasure Steal Wards. BOTH School Quest/School Reward spells.

Feint and then Judgment if the Wildbolts don't kill you first....which they will.

Sounds like FUN! I always wanted to be a target dummy!

Average Match lasts MAYBE 5 rounds. gg KI!

Defender
Jun 17, 2009
well basically if a storm player was smart all you need is 10-20 cards in your deck and treasure of reshuffle.. wildbolt and buffs thats all you basically need really i see no point in playing as they will get the card even if it fizzles in next turn

Survivor
May 01, 2009
I think special spells like wild bolts, spells that you get only thru special quests from school teachers should not be allowed to be made as treasure cards. Allowing them to make a treasure card removes the uniqueness and balance among schools. There is a reason why storm has lower health, they have powerful attacks. Now if all schools can have the same attacks, then they might as well increase the health of a storm.

I agree with this! :) would love to see special spell treasure cards go bye bye

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2009
stop crying to get some more health. its 10% accuracy and even with all the accuracy clothing, it fizzles more than 5/10 times.

Explorer
Mar 08, 2009
Lyrren wrote:
Does anybody seriously disagree with me?

If it was not so effective why would wizards sit there casting one after another until finally they get a hit? They can then follow up with one or two high damage spells from their school, which use all those pips they have been saving from their failed Wild Bolts, and suddenly the opponent is dead!

Perhaps the pip cost should be increased, but personally I think this spell should be reconsidered by the developers.
i am sorry to say man i like it the way it is i make mine with sniper and i have lots but they still dont work that great but mine work lol i only bolt people who try to bolt me its weak to try to bolt some one every time and not cool so if you see me be nice and play fair please theres more then bolt that can take the fun out of a fight so fast it will make you not want to play people will cheat no matter what they have to do and not to much you can do about but take it with a its sad but in time they will get a fix and make it all as fair as it should be scot deathhammer-granmaster -fire-balance-master-storm-noob-myth :P

Explorer
Mar 07, 2009
Yes this card is broken. Someone at KI is a super storm wizard fan otherwise it would have been adjust along time ago. I win 90% of the time when I fight wildbolters but it still a broken card.

Explorer
Dec 29, 2008
Otys wrote:
stop crying to get some more health. its 10% accuracy and even with all the accuracy clothing, it fizzles more than 5/10 times.

All you need is 1 out of 10 to turn the match irreversible, how much more 5 out of 10?

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
Jallen02 wrote:

You have obviously not done much of pvp. I'm sry but the 10% chance of it hitting is competly a typo because it is not true. I was once fighting a ice wizard(yes, an ICE wizard)and i had 2200 health. He already had two pips(one from his sword and a normal pip) and so he went first and right off the back he played a wildbolt and guess what? IT HIT. I was like woah and then i played a death shield on myself. He went again and put a tower shield on himself and i put a death blade on myself. He went again and did a storm sign but fizzled. I ask what it was he said it was a wildbolt. I then put a fire and ice shield on myself. He now has three pips and does a storm sign and guess what?Another wildbolt hits me. I am now mad because i have only 200 health left and i use sacrifice on myself, so now i have about 900 health. He then goes again and does another wildbolt so now i am DEAD. After the battle i am in shock. I mean come on, wildbolt worked 3 out of 4 times. Technally that is a 75% chance not 10%. Also it cost two pips so you can easily play it your first round. I'm sry but something has to be done about this.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2008
kai3092 wrote:
Jallen02 wrote:

You have obviously not done much of pvp. I'm sry but the 10% chance of it hitting is competly a typo because it is not true. I was once fighting a ice wizard(yes, an ICE wizard)and i had 2200 health. He already had two pips(one from his sword and a normal pip) and so he went first and right off the back he played a wildbolt and guess what? IT HIT. I was like woah and then i played a death shield on myself. He went again and put a tower shield on himself and i put a death blade on myself. He went again and did a storm sign but fizzled. I ask what it was he said it was a wildbolt. I then put a fire and ice shield on myself. He now has three pips and does a storm sign and guess what?Another wildbolt hits me. I am now mad because i have only 200 health left and i use sacrifice on myself, so now i have about 900 health. He then goes again and does another wildbolt so now i am DEAD. After the battle i am in shock. I mean come on, wildbolt worked 3 out of 4 times. Technally that is a 75% chance not 10%. Also it cost two pips so you can easily play it your first round. I'm sry but something has to be done about this.

woah dude. that must suck. i mean TWO PIPS ONLY FOR A WILD BOLT CARD?! x shakes head x this ice guy must really have alot of those treasure cards. KI has ALOT on their backs right now though so I don't think they'll do anything about it (an administrator migh've written by now if they had time) we'll just have to wait, hope, maybe pray (unless your not christian) but also people, NO HARSH COMMENTS!!! saw two already o well see me in Wizard101!

~Blaze DragonFlame, Level 45 Pyromancer

PS: oh yeah my brother has a character on my account too so some of you might see him in Krokotopia his name is Brian ThunderSword, Level 16 or 17 thunder (diviner) MAN! too many brians especially from my story "Dark Crusader Chronicles" cya homies

Explorer
Dec 29, 2008
DarkWolfHunter wrote:
kai3092 wrote:
Jallen02 wrote:

woah dude. that must suck. i mean TWO PIPS ONLY FOR A WILD BOLT CARD?! x shakes head x this ice guy must really have alot of those treasure cards. KI has ALOT on their backs right now though so I don't think they'll do anything about it (an administrator migh've written by now if they had time) we'll just have to wait, hope, maybe pray (unless your not christian) ;) but also people, NO HARSH COMMENTS!!! saw two already o well see me in Wizard101!

~Blaze DragonFlame, Level 45 Pyromancer

PS: oh yeah my brother has a character on my account too so some of you might see him in Krokotopia his name is Brian ThunderSword, Level 16 or 17 thunder (diviner) MAN! too many brians especially from my story "Dark Crusader Chronicles" cya homies

Well KI better start thinking about these (Beguile for non death, Wildbolts for non Storms, BUGS and RESETS).So many of my friends are losing interest in PVP and in the game in general, many of them finished the regular games and many of them BORED and MOVING on to some other games outthere. Havent you all noticed? It is ALREADY taking a long time to get a match which means fewer and fewer people are playing PVP. I was in Mooshu shops and i only saw ONE person there other than me? What does it mean? That KI is losing players/gamers. I for one is so bored and ready to cancel my subscription.

Mastermind
Oct 17, 2008
[quote=DarkWolfHunterMAN! too many brians especially from my story "Dark Crusader Chronicles" cya homies

Oh, hey! I know you're probably never going to see this (and this is totally off-topic) but I love the Dark Crusader Chronicles! You're very talented and I hope you continue writing.

~Sierra WinterBreeze, level 47 Ice/Death Thaumaturge, and author of The Tale of Sierra WinterBreeze

Survivor
Jul 20, 2009
I have two young children playing this game. I play the game with them and we use it as family time once a week or so. At other times they play on their own.

Recently, they started playing pvp for arena tickets (not to mention watching the matches to see the BIG spells). When I came home today, they both complained to me that people keep using lightning on them and killing them. I casually watched four matches (2 each) that they played. In 3 of the 4 matches the game ended in 5 rounds or so, each due to the "lighting" spell.

Assuming it was something to do with what they were casting, I played a match with one of their toons and I was beaten in round 5 with Wild bolt as well. Both of my kids' toons were at least 5 levels above the opponents.

The spell is overpowered and should be adjusted. That or PvP should just be abandoned as the imbalance destroys any reason for its existence. In my mind any "I win" button erases the challenge of a game. In terms of my money spent I think continuing letting this happen is a dealbreaker. We'll see what they do if anything.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2008
Windlilly wrote:
[quote=DarkWolfHunterMAN! too many brians especially from my story "Dark Crusader Chronicles" cya homies

Oh, hey! I know you're probably never going to see this (and this is totally off-topic) but I love the Dark Crusader Chronicles! You're very talented and I hope you continue writing.

~Sierra WinterBreeze, level 47 Ice/Death Thaumaturge, and author of The Tale of Sierra WinterBreeze

WOW I NEVER KNEW SOMEONE WOULD ACTUALLY LIKE MY STORIES! only my lil bro reads them (well i force him to read them anyway lolz) anywayz thanks for that comment (although i found it very late bleh) I love your stories too! read your whole series in just one hour

~Blaze DragonFlame, Level 48 Pyro dudeeee

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
I Agree I Do Not Like Wild Bolts. A Good Change Though Would Be Like Reducing The Attack That It Hurts 500 and Has A Thirty Percent Accurancy For 2 Pips That Would Be Ok. If You Don't Wanna Change Things Like That I Suggest Make The Wild Bolt Have A 5% Acurrancy And Takes 2 Pips! So Please Fix!

Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
Yes, i seriously disagree with you. Wild bolt ALWAYS fizzles. And anyway, put a storm shield and tower shield on yourself and the most it can do is about 300 damage. And so what if it is 1000 damage? Thats not that much for me. I call hits "good ones" when they hit 2700 damage or 3000. So people, STOP YOUR BLABBERING ABOUT WILD BOLT!

Survivor
Mar 28, 2009
IamLezul wrote:
Yes, i seriously disagree with you. Wild bolt ALWAYS fizzles. And anyway, put a storm shield and tower shield on yourself and the most it can do is about 300 damage. And so what if it is 1000 damage? Thats not that much for me. I call hits "good ones" when they hit 2700 damage or 3000. So people, STOP YOUR BLABBERING ABOUT WILD BOLT!
i'm with him/her (i didnt look at the name)