Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wild Bolt is ridiculously overpowered in PvP

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 24, 2009
102
Survivor
Feb 20, 2009
9
0SMR0 wrote:
Normally I wouldn't barge in to people's arguments, but this is hilarious. IAmLezul has NO idea what she's talking about, and QXill seems to know the game pretty well. QXill wins every argument, and yet Lezul doesn't seem to understand...

Lezul, against a GOOD PvP player Judgment won't get you very far. You've got to learn some other tricks. Against players with Commander gear, you're "super powerful" Judgments will be cut down by 35%. On top of that, you'll NEVER be able to get BalanceBlade, BladeStorm, and Hex laid down all at the same time. Most skilled PvPers use Tower Shield treasure cards.

If you asked me, Lezul, I'd say you're in a little too far over your head.

Duncan E.
Grandmaster Sorceror









Ok, FYI Iamlezul plays pvp ALOT, usually against grandmasters that are a higher ranking. AND whenever Lezul battles anyone she ALWAYS has tons of balanceblades, hexes and bladestorms!!!! Not to mention her + power pip percentages (which is around 79%) and tons of exra balance damage in what she is wearing!!! Whenever she uses the Judgement spell it is usually around 2700- 3800 damage! If the Judgement spell is cut off 35% Lezul still has 25% balance blade, 20% hex, and another 25-30 percent extra, and also what is extra % in what she is wearing!

The starting of the arguement was if the Wild bolt was overpowered.... I do think wild bolt is sometimes overpowered, but it also fizzles a bunch!( it usually defeats ME unless it fizzles). For me it could go both ways because you can also have shields for it ( not just storm sheilds) and have -45% fizzle on it(not to mention the other stuff you can do)....so it wouldn't do it at all. Usually when i fizzle on my spell it disappears, then i have to wait until it reappears... If you keep waiting for it then that gives th other person time to heal and or defeat the other person. Also you can use all the +tough and snipers and stuff to make it even more powerful than with balance blades , hexes and stuff. In my opinion, you should all stop fighting over it cause you are overall both right....
:-) Keira Stormrider <Master Theurgist>


p.s I am also Kestrel Ghostwalkers friend or i wouldn't know all this.......

Survivor
Feb 20, 2009
9
IamLezul wrote:
matvince90 wrote:
Wackyantman10 wrote:
IamLezul wrote:
Yes, i seriously disagree with you. Wild bolt ALWAYS fizzles. And anyway, put a storm shield and tower shield on yourself and the most it can do is about 300 damage. And so what if it is 1000 damage? Thats not that much for me. I call hits "good ones" when they hit 2700 damage or 3000. So people, STOP YOUR BLABBERING ABOUT WILD BOLT!
i'm with him/her (i didnt look at the name)


These people have obviously not done much PvP, or have been lucky and not dueled anyone who uses Wild Bolt. Wild Bolt does hit a lot in PvP, whether it's because of Snipers, and Accurates, and accuracy boosting gear, or just because this whole 10% thing is a joke. Also, any shields that you put up can easily be taken down by your opponent by their wand spell, that's assuming you can even find the shield in your deck. Also, 1000 damage is a lot, especially to a storm wizard, such as myself, or to a lower level wizard. As a Diviner, I have just over 2000 health with my best gear on. So, not counting the resist, I can die in 2 Wild Bolts and a wand spell.


Well, you have obviously not read what me and Mr. smarty pants have been talking about.

Actually he does......

Explorer
Feb 21, 2009
66
IamLezul wrote:
0SMR0 wrote:
Normally I wouldn't barge in to people's arguments, but this is hilarious. IAmLezul has NO idea what she's talking about, and QXill seems to know the game pretty well. QXill wins every argument, and yet Lezul doesn't seem to understand...

Lezul, against a GOOD PvP player Judgment won't get you very far. You've got to learn some other tricks. Against players with Commander gear, you're "super powerful" Judgments will be cut down by 35%. On top of that, you'll NEVER be able to get BalanceBlade, BladeStorm, and Hex laid down all at the same time. Most skilled PvPers use Tower Shield treasure cards.

If you asked me, Lezul, I'd say you're in a little too far over your head.

Duncan E.
Grandmaster Sorceror



You dont know judgement, then do you? I have beaten my friend keelan dawntamer easily and he has full commander gear. I've have been defeated only twice by all of my friends which are captains, commanders, et. And those times were because of luck. I am not in over my head, but you may be. I'd like to see how qxill takes it when i defeat him! Balanceblade, bladestorm, and hex are easy to get ready for judgement! Plus, i barely get reagualr pips, only power pips.

IAmLezul, I have no desire to argue with you, I was simply pointing out that you might want to get a few extra tools before you do serious PvP. All I was try to say is that Judgment won't get you all the way to Warlord by itself, it needs backup. I recommend Fire Elf and Spectral Minion for this.

Also, it takes 3 turns to pull out BalanceBlade/Storm, and Hex. That's plenty of time for your opponent to get a treasure card Tower Shield. Most GrandMasters always get power pips, that really isn't an advantage.

Anyways, good luck with your dueling, and btw, I do know Judgment.

Duncan E.
GrandMaster Sorcerer and PvP Warlord

Survivor
Apr 25, 2009
6
fireftw wrote:
I think special spells like wild bolts, spells that you get only thru special quests from school teachers should not be allowed to be made as treasure cards. Allowing them to make a treasure card removes the uniqueness and balance among schools. There is a reason why storm has lower health, they have powerful attacks. Now if all schools can have the same attacks, then they might as well increase the health of a storm.

I agree with this! :) would love to see special spell treasure cards go bye bye


I disagree with this. What about other school speels that don't pose as much of a threat in the Arena? I mean, personally, I'd love to pass Links from my Fire to my other characters, and Heckhounds as well. Maybe we should categorize which unique school spells cannot be duplicated.

Survivor
May 17, 2009
4
Yeah Jallen that is not true in all case its not like you can magicly get the pips to hit the person like that and if you dont ko them in time you will die by the bolt its not as easy as you want to make it sound its almost impossable, and the only players that should use it are storm. It should be taken out of treasure card form or make the treasure card half as powerful as the regular one. IN MY OPINION TREASURE CARDS ARE CHEAP SHOTS AND IF WIZARD101 CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT THEM I AM DONE WITH THE GAME. At least in other games pvp isn't as corrupted as this one.

Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
889
0SMR0 wrote:
IamLezul wrote:
0SMR0 wrote:
Normally I wouldn't barge in to people's arguments, but this is hilarious. IAmLezul has NO idea what she's talking about, and QXill seems to know the game pretty well. QXill wins every argument, and yet Lezul doesn't seem to understand...

Lezul, against a GOOD PvP player Judgment won't get you very far. You've got to learn some other tricks. Against players with Commander gear, you're "super powerful" Judgments will be cut down by 35%. On top of that, you'll NEVER be able to get BalanceBlade, BladeStorm, and Hex laid down all at the same time. Most skilled PvPers use Tower Shield treasure cards.

If you asked me, Lezul, I'd say you're in a little too far over your head.

Duncan E.
Grandmaster Sorceror



You dont know judgement, then do you? I have beaten my friend keelan dawntamer easily and he has full commander gear. I've have been defeated only twice by all of my friends which are captains, commanders, et. And those times were because of luck. I am not in over my head, but you may be. I'd like to see how qxill takes it when i defeat him! Balanceblade, bladestorm, and hex are easy to get ready for judgement! Plus, i barely get reagualr pips, only power pips.

IAmLezul, I have no desire to argue with you, I was simply pointing out that you might want to get a few extra tools before you do serious PvP. All I was try to say is that Judgment won't get you all the way to Warlord by itself, it needs backup. I recommend Fire Elf and Spectral Minion for this.

Also, it takes 3 turns to pull out BalanceBlade/Storm, and Hex. That's plenty of time for your opponent to get a treasure card Tower Shield. Most GrandMasters always get power pips, that really isn't an advantage.

Anyways, good luck with your dueling, and btw, I do know Judgment.

Duncan E.
GrandMaster Sorcerer and PvP Warlord


Uh, well, ok, end of arguement. Now, who want tacos?????!!!!! ME!!!!!!!

ILT!!!!!!!!


P.S IALB!!!!!! yay me!!!! if you dont know what ILT and IALB stands for......well, I'M NOT TELLING!!!! mwahhhahahahahahahahaahah


Explorer
Jun 11, 2009
67
girlygal96 wrote:
0SMR0 wrote:
Normally I wouldn't barge in to people's arguments, but this is hilarious. IAmLezul has NO idea what she's talking about, and QXill seems to know the game pretty well. QXill wins every argument, and yet Lezul doesn't seem to understand...

Lezul, against a GOOD PvP player Judgment won't get you very far. You've got to learn some other tricks. Against players with Commander gear, you're "super powerful" Judgments will be cut down by 35%. On top of that, you'll NEVER be able to get BalanceBlade, BladeStorm, and Hex laid down all at the same time. Most skilled PvPers use Tower Shield treasure cards.

If you asked me, Lezul, I'd say you're in a little too far over your head.

Duncan E.
Grandmaster Sorceror









Ok, FYI Iamlezul plays pvp ALOT, usually against grandmasters that are a higher ranking. AND whenever Lezul battles anyone she ALWAYS has tons of balanceblades, hexes and bladestorms!!!! Not to mention her + power pip percentages (which is around 79%) and tons of exra balance damage in what she is wearing!!! Whenever she uses the Judgement spell it is usually around 2700- 3800 damage! If the Judgement spell is cut off 35% Lezul still has 25% balance blade, 20% hex, and another 25-30 percent extra, and also what is extra % in what she is wearing!
:-) Keira Stormrider <Master Theurgist>


p.s I am also Kestrel Ghostwalkers friend or i wouldn't know all this.......

What kind of argument is this? This is a biased argument based on just what she has to put on herself.. not what the defender has to put on themselves... If you want to actually put up an argument then put up a non-biased argument based on true facts..

If she was to even put on a 25% balance blade and a 30% hex on me I would simply tower myself afterwards.. Then what can she do? If she didn't take off the tower by the next turn then I'll double tower myself with two different ones like I always do to mitigate the damage done by judgement, (-50% and -55% tower shields). Yes it does mitigate almost ALL of the damage done. I have 45% resistance.

If lezul was as good as he/she says they are, then they'd have commander gear by doing 3,000 damage with judgement to everyone he/she vs's... it's that simple.

Survivor
Mar 02, 2009
1
crazycrackr7 wrote:
Yeah Jallen that is not true in all case its not like you can magicly get the pips to hit the person like that and if you dont ko them in time you will die by the bolt its not as easy as you want to make it sound its almost impossable, and the only players that should use it are storm. It should be taken out of treasure card form or make the treasure card half as powerful as the regular one. IN MY OPINION TREASURE CARDS ARE CHEAP SHOTS AND IF WIZARD101 CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT THEM I AM DONE WITH THE GAME. At least in other games pvp isn't as corrupted as this one.


I totally agree with this. There is no other game that has this much corruption in pvp at all. Wild bolt makes pvp about as much fun as going to get a root canal. Games are suppose to be fun and people who use wild bolt and think that they are actually doing well take's the fun out of even playing at all. And the fact that most of them have the nerve to call you a noob when you get annoyed with it is even more frustrating. How is being annoyed at cheap shots being in any way a noob? I stopped doing pvp altogether because it just gets beyond frustrating when people use wild bolt. You have the power to win by your own school spells. Every school has that power, but most just bolt people do death.

Explorer
Apr 26, 2009
71
If I may comment (I'm a level 49 Storm).

I think the problem lies mostly with the people who often aren't even storm students. They use treasure cards constantly with the bolt and accuracy, and arena clothes (that I myself don't have) and it drives me NUTS how their bolts work but mine almost never do!

I sometimes combine bolt with accuracy, but even then, the opponents I battle often have over 3,000 for health, and there is NO way I'm going to be able to get three bolts to work in one battle.

I don't know how these other guys do it, but I would be in favor of not allowing the higher level treasure cards (REBIRTH especially!!!!!!!) for those who aren't in that school. I've battled with wizards and NONE were life, but they used rebirth after rebirth, that is insanely unfair.


Survivor
Jun 13, 2009
36
What about reducing Wild Bolt to just "600" damage attack?!?


Josh1128Sh, with 7-PIP spell cards, I think it's ok to use it as a treasure card. It will not give them advantage anyway. Coz for example, if a Fire Wizard cast a Rebirth Spell card, and let us say he has 7 Power Pips in front of him, then he will just lost 7 pips for using it since Power Pip is counted as only 1 pip if a wizard use a spell card other than his school, and wizards really don't do this most of the time because of the lost of some pips. So I think it's ok.

Thanks!

Survivor
Apr 19, 2009
47
Here's what I think i understand both sides but its hard to fix wild bolt i understand from one side that it does major damage with a short pip count and lots of damage ( trust me as a war lord you get that a lot )

but now think about it from a storm's point of view he has 2 power pips he tries to bolt fizzles now he gets a any kind if pip well from the circumstances he might as well just use stormzilla or Triton rather then waste time bolting so if they raised the pip amount storms would really find no use for it because they have a better chance just using stormzilla triton or storm lord

its fair and unfair at the same time just try to see it from both points of view

sincerely

foulsteel

Survivor
Jun 09, 2009
27
If you raise the Pips raise the damage. 3 pips 1500.

Explorer
Jun 11, 2009
67
Djarknaein wrote:
If you raise the Pips raise the damage. 3 pips 1500.

Oh, I get it now. For every pip raised, it's every +500 damage added. Well, why don't we just make it a 6 pip spell? 3,000 damage seems about right. Enough to kill someone in one shot with 48% accuracy, given you have commander gear and a 30% wild bolt.

Brilliant.

Survivor
Dec 10, 2008
24
maybe they KI should change it to 250 and 5 pips and 5% accuracy

Survivor
Jun 21, 2009
2
I agree -- KI needs to seriously rethink treasure cards in PVP -- at least in the lower levels. My two kids put alot of thought into their decks before PvP. Two days ago, they lost 3 times in a row to 3 different 2 v 2 teams that ONLY used wild bolt. Yes, they had shields but can't use them if they do not come up. Also, this was with 2 toons lvl 12 -- so not alot of card options. I was really surprised at how often wild bolt worked. One hit for a lvl 12 and one kill. They both got aggrevated and quit. Then, soon after, I lost 2x with my lvl 10 char to wild bolt. Just as with other MMOs I have played, PvP can become a very 'unfun' part of the game unless the developers correct player uncovered exploits. Removing treasure cards from lower level PvP will even the playing field and encourage younger players to put some thought into deck development (tactics, strategy, planning). Enough for now, going to have my son use his level 50 storm to make me a 100 or so wild bolts.....

Defender
Jun 11, 2009
161
geeze, i just did a HUGE post on this wild bolt stuff,so ill just point out the main stuff.

I.
WILD BOLT IS NOT CHEATING-
wild bolt is a storm using his cards to the best of his abilities. when its cheating is when u get hit by a lvl18 pyromancer warlord who`s got a ton of tough friends and treasure cards.

II.
WILD BOLT IS NOT OVERPOWERED-
its only about 1000 damage and 10 percent accuracy.its not to shabby.but when do the statistics in your head,it only 1 in a 100 chance that it works. when its cheating is when u see a guy who has WAY to many snipers and he got them all from bazar and (its sad)trading for codes.

lastly,i think that those of u who are complaining could think up your strategy a LITTLE bit better.

a rather annoyed guy

Jared Stormblade lvl50 grandmaster diviner 8)


Defender
Dec 17, 2008
178
Popman98 wrote:

II.
WILD BOLT IS NOT OVERPOWERED-
its only about 1000 damage and 10 percent accuracy.its not to shabby.but when do the statistics in your head,it only 1 in a 100 chance that it works. when its cheating is when u see a guy who has WAY to many snipers and he got them all from bazar and (its sad)trading for codes.

Jared Stormblade lvl50 grandmaster diviner 8)



Actually, it's not 1 in 100 chance, it's 1 in 10 chance. With boosts, this could be raised to 40%, which is a 2 in 5 chance

Full PvP gear gives a 16%, add sniper, that's +36%. Add a life's guidance at 10%, a balance precision at 10%, and a storm lightning strike at 10%, now you have a 66% chance, which is the absolute best you can get for casting wild bolt!

Explorer
Jul 02, 2009
73
Wild bolt should be removed from the game. As a storm wizard, I must say that Wildbolt should be replaced with a Damage Over Time spell. I am getting tired of seeing the spell in PVP blow characters away. Two hits in a row is not regular or probable. I have seen this spell abused by non-Storm wizards as a must win strategy. I know that the Storm wizards should be mad as heck at the abuse. It is not right or fair, and the players are smug about it. It would not be hard to replace the spell.

Charles TitanBreaker Storm Grandmaster
John SpiritTheif Death Grandmaster
John Wildwalker Life Grandmaster
John SunHunter 45 Level Balance Master
Charles FrostHammer 25 Level Ice Adept
Charles OgreBlood 20 Level Myth Wizard

Survivor
Oct 11, 2009
37
Eldarxxx wrote:
I agree -- KI needs to seriously rethink treasure cards in PVP -- at least in the lower levels. My two kids put alot of thought into their decks before PvP. Two days ago, they lost 3 times in a row to 3 different 2 v 2 teams that ONLY used wild bolt. Yes, they had shields but can't use them if they do not come up. Also, this was with 2 toons lvl 12 -- so not alot of card options. I was really surprised at how often wild bolt worked. One hit for a lvl 12 and one kill. They both got aggrevated and quit. Then, soon after, I lost 2x with my lvl 10 char to wild bolt. Just as with other MMOs I have played, PvP can become a very 'unfun' part of the game unless the developers correct player uncovered exploits. Removing treasure cards from lower level PvP will even the playing field and encourage younger players to put some thought into deck development (tactics, strategy, planning). Enough for now, going to have my son use his level 50 storm to make me a 100 or so wild bolts.....


Eldarxxx brings up one of my major disappointments with PvP in Wizard 101. I subscribed to the game for PvP. I design wizards for PvP. I'm not interested in leveling to Grandmaster. I would love be able to make a series of level 10 (or maybe 16) wizards to PvP. However, as soon as I gain some rank, I am constantly facing opponents who hit me with spells (treasure cards or the level 48 pet) that are well above their level.

I've responded by leveling a balance wizard to 28 so that I have Judgement and a pile of shields. It is still fun, but it keeps me from PvPing with other wizards. I doubt I will spend the time leveling another wizard as much as I have for my balance.

What I would like to see is something to prevent the casting of spells above your level in the arena. I've seen a number of fixes proposed for the general problem. I'm going to list them below. Some of them are not perfect fixes, but they all help.

1. No treasure cards in the arena.
2. No casting a spell above your level in the arena.
3. No pets in the arena (or no pets above your level).
4. Remove Keen Eyes and Tough from the game or make them rare. (this will make it more difficult for people to make wild bolt treasure cards)



Defender
Apr 02, 2009
105
Why does everyone complain about Wild Bolt?

I mean, I being a Storm Wizard myself know the amazing potential of a successful Wild Bolt, but how many times do you think one comes along? It is a 10 percent hit chance, which if you do the math, means in every 10 times you use it, it hits once. ONCE!

Plus, you aren't taking into account the time it would take to FIND a Wild Bolt in your deck! Unless you load your deck with only a few cards, a Wild Bolt and maybe a Keen Eyes, you don't get it for like, 5 turns, 4 if you are lucky! In that time someone could use a 7 pip spell on you if they get extra pips to start and get a power pip.

Wild Bolt is a Hail Mary! A Diviner prays that it will work every time they cast it! Trust me, I do! Unless you have a Keen Eyes, and like a crazy accuracy boost from gear, like a 20 percent one, you most likely will not hit.

And all it takes to completly destroy the spell's power is a Tower Shield. It then becomes a 500 damage spell! And if you add Storm Shield to that, which is like a minus 80 percent, it would then be a 100 damage spell! You would've just divided it's damage by 10! If you look at it that's a lot for a damage spell! To make it worse, if you use a Broken Blade on the caster, it becomes a 75 damage spell! It's very easy to make Wild Bolt a weak spell!

So if you see what I mean, Wild Bolt is really only good when it works, and you have nothing working againt you such as shields and Broken Blades.


Dylan ShadowTalon Level 46 Diviner

Defender
Jul 18, 2009
160
The pvp system is broken beyond these glaring errors also. As it stands the number of people in the queue are pretty low and if you remove these features I would think fewer would play.